Out Of Bounds Stout - Avery Brewing Company

good

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Stout |  6.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-28-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Out Of Bounds Stout Alström Bros
dherling

This beer was poured slow out of a tap, and it produced a rich, thick head that lasted nearly as long as I had the beer in front of me. I nearly burned my nostrils trying to smell this, The very dark roasted malt smelled smoky, like embers, with coffee and charcoal. It had a lovely mouthfeel, very creamy. If you like malt, this has it in spades, but the flavor was a litttle too overdone for me, like sucking on a burndt down forrest. I had a hard time finishing this one, although it was somewhat of a unique take on a stout. Worth buying a bottle and sharing it with some friends just so you can say; been there, done that.

08-09-2006 05:17:16 | More by dherling
gueuzeonhigh

Maine

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

I very much enjoyed Avery's IPA so seeing this stout on the shelf I didn't hesitate to grab a six ready to enjoy its contents.

Sure enough- the stout didn't let down my hopes.

Poured like a dark almost opaque walnut stain.
Upon hitting my glass a respectable head appeared. It was somewhat short-lived but laced my glass with abandon. Head created a tight dense foamy sculpture After a few minutes head dissipated creating atolls ringing the inner circumference of the glass.

The nose wasn't what I expected--almost non-descript. I tiny wisp of bitter. I wish there was more.

Flavor did not disappoint. Predominant stout flavor and body although I sense a thin finish-- or I'd love even more flavor body in this beer. Hops galore almost like an IPA without the fruitiness. Toasted malt commingled with the hoppiness.

The finish is clean lingering bitter hops signature with a definite appearance of toasted malt.

This is a very appealing beer and I have to restrain myself from polishing off the entire six in one sitting.

I know I'll look for this beer on my next beer restock excursion.

07-31-2006 04:32:17 | More by gueuzeonhigh
neonbrown82

Nebraska

4.13/5  rDev +9.5%

This is one of several of the new Avery beers available at John's Grocery. It's one of the better Avery beers I've had because there is little room to go over the top for the style.

The beer pours to a nice black color, but the cocoa colored head falls to a film just as quickly as it rises. Lacks the subsequent lacing.

The smell is good. Dry roasted barley and black patent malt. Not much to it, but it smells just how I would imagine any Irish Dry Stout to smell.

The taste is good as well. I would recommend this to any Guinn-ass drinker. Rich, roasty, dry, and delicious malt flavors. A nice touch of German hops in the finish. Most importantly, it's not dumbed down and ruined by some stupid nitro dispense system. Still has quite a creamy body, though nothing compared to a nitro dispense, but that's one thing I'm willing to give up if it means I can actually taste my beer.

Pretty easy to drink several. Hopefully the rest of the new Avery beers will fail to disappoint as well, unlike many of the hi-gravity beers of theirs I've had.

07-24-2006 08:33:44 | More by neonbrown82
Kendo

3.58/5  rDev -5%

Poured black with crimson highlights when held to the light. Mocha chocolate milkshake-colored head with decent lacing.

Smelled of coffee, toast and something a tad more fruity -- maybe figs or prunes.

Taste: roasted malt and burnt coffee, with a coffee-type bitterness at the finish.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied with decent heft for the style.

Drinkability: The burnt coffee flavors were abit of a turn-off for me, admittedly a non-coffee drinker. I could imagine it being more drinkable in the winter, but for me I'd much prefer a number of stouts over this one. It's not bad, but it wasn't great.

07-10-2006 01:11:28 | More by Kendo
Graebner

Germany

3.73/5  rDev -1.1%

Only by watching as your pour can you tell that this beer is anything less than pitch black. Has a slight mahagony tint to it, but you have to hold it up to bright light to see it.

Smells like caramel, chocolate, lots of coffee, some licorice, black currant.

Tastes a little sour at first, like yeast or vegemite, molasses, a little hop bitterness, soy, some creamy smoothness like heavy cream in earl grey.

Mouthfeel is good, very chewy, but it's stout, eh? Smooth, creamy, leaves a little bitterness and molasses feel afterwards, but it's pretty good.

Could drink this for quite a while. Definitely sessionable, even though it's quite a monster of a stout. There are plenty of beers I'd rather drink, but I could drink this one for as long as I was out.

06-28-2006 01:58:16 | More by Graebner
beveragecaptain

3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

12 ounce bottle. Avery Out of Bounds Stout pours out black with a large, brown head. The aroma is an earthy roastines. Roasted coffee flavor with some nuttiness. Not much hop flavor. There is a restrained sweetness, but the finish is very dry. The mouthfeel is creamy. Good drinkability. If this beer had a stronger maltiness, it would be a perfect dry stout. As is, it's still pretty good.

06-12-2006 02:02:43 | More by beveragecaptain
blitz134

4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

Nearly opaque black, but has some garnet highlights showing through the body when held to the light. Nice big light chocolate head on top, reduced down in lumps, grabs the glass nicely. A nice foam head stays throughout.

Aroma is nicely filled with dark toasted malts. Some bittersweet chocolate and some hints of coffee come through. Some sweeter malts finish it up. Somewhat light aroma though.

Taste again has lots of dark toasted malts with a bit of black patent type char hanging in there. Fairly bitter overall, finishes with some dark coffee.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Light carbonation. Coats the mouth extremely well and the flavor really lingers. The stickiness of this one in the mouth makes it feel like a really substantial stout.

Nice drinkability, a fair amount of bitterness which is right on for the style but mouthfeel isn't overly thick and heavy. Sits light on the stomach. Something I could come back to often since the ABV is low but the flavor is still there. A true to style irish dry stout, and beats guiness by a mile.

05-26-2006 02:02:41 | More by blitz134
riversider76

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours about as close to black as you can get. Nice tan head, great retention, and lacing. Smell is of roasted coffee and chocolate, with a hint of sweetness. Body is on the light side. Taste is almost fruity up front, but The finish was a bit bitter for me.Still a good beer,and well worth a try.

05-21-2006 20:36:31 | More by riversider76
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

A very true to style stout:

Pours dark mahogany to black with a healthy 3 fingers + tan head. Very good head retention and lacing

Smell: Intense burnt malt, coffee & chocolate

Taste: toasty malty, slight fruityness caves into coffee and bitter graininess (works here). Finishes very dry and fruity

MF Chewy and creamy with ideal carbonation

A little too dry to enjoy more than a few, but stout lovers would probably easily session this. Although I prefer the new world porter, Avery comes through again

05-13-2006 04:12:41 | More by russpowell
Naes

4.3/5  rDev +14.1%

This stout pours black in color with a two inch layer of dark tan head. Retention is good, but the lacing is minimal.
The aroma is roasty with a strong coffee bean smell.
The flavor is just as it smells. It is roasty with a bitter coffee flavor. This is a unique flavored stout. It finishes dry, bitter and is not sweet in the least bit.
Mouth feel is full bodied and generously carbonated.

05-07-2006 04:18:33 | More by Naes
Shultzerdugen

Missouri

4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

12 oz. brown bottle.

About as close to black as you can get as far as color goes, with a massive biege head, rocky and leaving lace rings.

Rich coffee smells greet the nose, along with apple and berry like esters, molasses, and candied cherries. Surprisingly sweet overall.

Full bodied with a touch of graininess. Mild roasted coffee flavors with a lemony finish. Burnt toast tastes gather strength mid-glass and leave a lingering bitterness on the palate. Fruity berry flavored esters make an appearance as the temperature rises.

A solid stout to be sure, but it lacked a certain "wow" factor to push it over the top.

04-20-2006 02:22:46 | More by Shultzerdugen
PeatReek

3.63/5  rDev -3.7%

The body is black! What color is it around the edges? Black there too! Head is slightly tan/grey, not at all deep brown. And thick and rocky. Smells very strongly of black tea. Oh man! Now that I thought of that, I can't smell anything else. Slightly bready, a little bit of a soda scent. Taste & mouthfeel: Taste is also tea-like, dry and bready, resolving to roasty malt. A slight bitterness persists in an otherwise clean palate. Body is kind of thin, and I'm not sure how I feel about that; thicker would be OK but the lightness keeps it drinkable. Notwithstanding the glacial overpass pictured on the bottle, the tea flavor makes me think this would be a nice summer afternoon beer.

04-01-2006 03:49:38 | More by PeatReek
bearrunner44

3.55/5  rDev -5.8%

Appearance: Another great-looking Irish stout. Opaque blackness, with a creamy light brown head that leaves a ton of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Dry barley, very dry. Some roasted chocolate flavor takes a bit of the edge off. Hops are evident, but they're only complimentary to the malt dryness. Spinach-like.

Taste: Dry malt, with some slick mocha sweetness. Oily hop bitterness wanders beneath the roasted character of the malt, leaving a lingering herbal impression in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium-bodied. Slick, with moderate carbonation.

Verdict: I can't say it's the best Irish stout around, but it's a nice stab at it.

03-26-2006 02:06:46 | More by bearrunner44
JasonCoop

4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

pours an opaque black with a light whitish beige head. looks decent.

smells pretty strongly of dark coffee. not my personal preference.

tastes like it smells, mainly strong coffee flavors. nice full creamy body smooths out a rather robust flavor. nicely done stout.

mouthfeel is full and robust. good stout but not the most drinkable. strong flavor.

03-21-2006 10:48:33 | More by JasonCoop
Boto

Connecticut

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

12oz. bottle: There was pretty much no head at all on my sample. The beer pours a very dark brown color. The main component of the nose is chocolate malts, with a fair amount of sweetness in there also. There is also some coffee notes. The taste is a good mix of chocolate malts, with some roastiness and coffee flavors. A bit of the sweetness comes through also. Nice!

03-09-2006 22:08:55 | More by Boto
rousee

3.55/5  rDev -5.8%

Black color with a small head of tan foam. Smell is malty and somewhat vinous. There are fruity elements--berries or raisins--fairly common in imperial stouts but not really in Irish drys. I like it though.

Taste is a nice assertive malt with more cherry-almond-raisin thing goin' on.There is a slight metallic aftertaste but nothing too powerful to really deter from the taste.
Mouthfeel is sticky and a little too much so.
Drinkability is average for the style.

03-07-2006 23:47:45 | More by rousee
amicar

Missouri

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

Bought a nice big bomber while on vacation. Pours a nice black color with a slight head of off- white to tan. A little hoppy citrus on the nose and some roast coffee aroma as well. Taste is nice- roasty and slightly burnt. Not overwhelming roast sensation, though; actually a little less than I might like. Mouthfeel is fairly crisp and dry. Could be a little thicker. The slightly thinner mouthfeel definitely makes it easy to drink a couple of these guys...

03-06-2006 02:50:11 | More by amicar
HaVoKnYnJ

3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

The last of a six-pack I purchased some time ago (pre-Christmas?)...slow pour into an Omegang Hennepin glass. Very small almond head, with tight, even lacing. In the dim light of my living room, the beer is black all the way through...but without strong light, it's hard to really tell if there are highlights or no.

Smells like strong coffee, baker's chocolate, some extra aromas, but as I'm only learning the art of hops appreciation, I'll leave that to the more experienced reviewers (for now!).

Tastes strong. Bitter chocolate, strong, almost burned coffee. Other lighter notes, almost citrusy. Definitely a sipping stout. There will be no quaffing of this bad boy. For my tastes, the burnt coffee taste is a little overpowering, but not so much as to make me slow down. Like a great espresso, the strength is part and parcel of the experience.

It feels a little light in the mouth, a little thin. There is just enough carbonation to it, but it could have been just a hair thicker tasting/feeling.

For my tastes, I think I would most likely max out at two of these in a sitting. This is a no nonsense, "pay attention to me" kind of beer. Hanging out with friends, everyone sharing in the craft beer revolution, this would be a hit. I don't think I could handle a beer like this at the 'average' bar, while being distracted by yuengling drinking friends, who no doubt would be ordering their third or fourth rounds while I was still savoring my first. Save this for those occasions when you can pay this stout the attention it deserves. It will be worth your while.

03-01-2006 23:41:11 | More by HaVoKnYnJ
BadBadger

3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

This is a rather easy to drink stout. Pours a nice nearly opaque dark color. The head was moderate in size and duration. The smell was non-stimulating, with only faint hints of the malts within. The taste is slightly better than average, being slightly malty with limited hints a fruity flavors. The mouthfeel, which is very smooth, really makes this a highly drinkable brew. While I wouldn't recommend searching this beer out, if you come across it, it is worth giving a go as a mild and highly drinkable stout.

03-01-2006 00:25:27 | More by BadBadger
sevineyes

Arkansas

3.73/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from a bottle featuring a skier on the label.

A: Nice. Very black. Only the slightest hints of red in direct light. Tan head with weak lacing.

S: Big roastiness with some smoke.

T: Malty caramel with roastiness continuing. Has some grapefruit coming in on the mid-tones and going into the finish. Big roastiness dominates and ligers well into the aftertaste.

M: Smooth, getting close to creamy. Dry finish

D: Very drinkable for a stout.

Overall: Wish there was some more complexity in the taste. Pairs very nice with some smoke oysters.

02-26-2006 22:20:13 | More by sevineyes
Jredner

Great smell. Like a BBQ just lit with fresh cedar chips. Nice deep black color, but hard to get a head out of it and what little I teased up faded fast. Mmmm quaffable and bitter without being annoyingly over-hopped like a lot of Avery’s stuff. Damn solid beer that I’d LOVE to see on draft somewhere.

02-26-2006 18:41:01 | More by Jredner
UncleFlip

Alabama

3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

HUGE tan head as this one hits the glass. Mainly smallish bubbles, but there are some huge floaters in there. Looks nice and black in the glass, but is a deep ruby when held up to the light. As the head falls, a nice wet lace is left behind.

Smell is nice and roasty, with some yeastiness underneath. Reminds me of the hearty brown wheat bread my parents used to bake.

Flavour is extremely roasty up front, with ust a hint of hop bitterness. The flavour stays very consistent throughout. Not much morphing here. Depending on your tastes, that could be a good thing or a bad thing....

Slightly more carbonation than I like in a stout. It's high and active. On top of that, I like a slightly thicker liquid in a stout.

The drinkability loses points for me because of the mouthfeel. It's not bad, but I've had better.

Be well
-UF

02-12-2006 08:03:16 | More by UncleFlip
Higravity

3.53/5  rDev -6.4%

Looks like a porter but a little darker with a good white hat. The beer thins too much on the side. The smell is nice roasted with out too much coffee more chocolate. Tastes good if a little thin, I would like a touch more body, I know it is only 5% and all but... I guess you could session it but not something to seek out.

02-07-2006 15:10:38 | More by Higravity
NClifestyle

3.63/5  rDev -3.7%

pours up black, with ruby highlights. head is thick tan, with large bubbles, drops to a nice layer of 'surface of the moon' looking crags and holes atop the beer.
smells of smoky chocolate, maybe coffee as well. a touch grainy and sharp.
taste is cocoa with a harsh hop bite right behind that, followed by the irish dry stout roast bitterness. taste could use more malt presence.
mouthfeel has some nice carbonation tingle all over the place, especially under the tongue and in the back. medium for sure.
drinkability is ok, i like the beer enough, that i would order it before most of the big 3, but it's not the greatest out there, either.

cheers...

02-06-2006 04:51:38 | More by NClifestyle
rustymoore

Tennessee

2.6/5  rDev -31%

Avery hasn't impressed me so far as I have tried this stout and their IPA but here goes. Poured dark to black with very little head and almost no lacing. Smells strong with coffee most of all and hints of chocolate. Hops are ever present as well. Tastes of strong coffee which doesn't appeal to me as much as some stouts as well as its very bitter and watered down. Isn't even a pleasent feeling drink perhaps due to the watered down nature. Something that I wouldn't drink regularly.

01-31-2006 04:45:39 | More by rustymoore