The Kaiser - Avery Brewing Company

Colorado, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  10.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: maxpower on 08-28-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Kaiser Alström Bros
Reviews: 627 | Hads: 1,216
4.47/5  rDev +17.3%

From bomber to pint glass

A: Pours a translucent, dark amber with lots of carbonation, forming a sudsy, two-inch head. Lots of sticky lacing.

N: Caramel, toasted malts, lemon, apple. Alcohol is strong here and warms the nose. Crazy for a lager.

T: Huge malt rush up front with a strong caramelly overtone. This is quickly met by alcohol, which warms the palate and only gets stronger as the beer warms. The alcohol bite is nicely countered with the sweet, fruity notes of the flavor profile - fuzzy notes of apple and lemon touch the edges of the palate. The brew is bready and one would think it's an ale if it wasn't for the 'Imperial Oktoberfest Lager' on the label (I haven't had that many imperial lagers so my tastes might be skewed). The beer finishes sweet with just a touch of earthy bitterness.

M: Rich and creamy as expected given the ABV, but not sticky. The ample carbonation washes away any residue.

D/N: Well, this is the most unique Marzen I've tried, and I'm sure this could be dubbed "experimental" and off-style, but who cares? This tastes good. If I was introducing someone to an Oktoberfest I might look elsewhere, but why introduce someone to an Oktoberfest? They're well marketed and seemingly everywhere - noobies can find their own. BA's, drink this. (1,280 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +17.3%

Best oktoberfest I've had and I spent two years in Austria an hour away from Germany.
One of my favorite brews from Avery which says quite a bit.
So I had this in April so I'd guess it to be 9 months old or there about.
Pumpkin spice, honey, molasses, and just all things nice. my goodness.
Went down so well with my dinner, I think it's a pretty easy beer to pair.
I'm gonna stock up this autumn. (397 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +17.3%

Rich, clear, clean bronze color...sweet candied aroma...some caramel...the taste is caramel and toasted grains complemented by a nice floral hop presence..full bodied...not quite as big tasting as Summit O-Fest but still substantial...deeper in the ABV really started to become noticable..

A hell of a nice beer...a litttle more balanced than I expected...hops complement perfectly...I'd rate it slightly better than another of my favorite big o-fests, Summit (7.7%)...really nice beer altough the longer I drink it the more boozy it tastes... (546 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours a bright amber, with a thin lace. Smell is a solid, classic Marzen - caramel, pepper, dark fruits and bread. The taste is great! A strong, malts backbone, with a crisp hops finish, and a slight but satisfying undercurrent of alcohol. This is very drinkable! One of the best Marzen's, and the only imperial oktoberfest I've had. Delicious. (344 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a balloon glass.

Look: Nice deep caramel copper color. Thick cream colored head that recedes to thick film of bubbles. Nice webby lacing.

Aroma: Sweet caramel, malts, toffee, fruit peels.

Taste: A toasted, caramelly blast at first. Then it eases into toffee, malts, and tangy fruits. Slight burn of 9.1% alc on the throat.

Mouthfeel: Kind of sticky, alcoholic burn.

Overall: Absolutely delicious. Great Oktoberfest representation. Love the caramel sweetness. (475 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

I think it's great that Avery calls their Imperial series the "Dictator" series. It's a nice play on the imperial style. Tonight I've got a bomber of the Kaiser, which bills itself as an Imperial Octoberfest. 22 ounce bomber. Pulled out my dimpled mug for this one. Tradition and all. Pours reddish light amber with a fizzy head made up of small bubbles. Minimal lacing. Smell is of caramel and - can't believe I'm saying this - peach fruit rollups. I haven't had a fruit rollup since I was a kid. Low levels of carbonation present in the mouthfeel of the beer. Lends itself to a slick mouthfeel. The first taste gives you a huge caramel malt body and a gigantically warm alcohol finish. The lazy description would be to call this a malt bomb and wrap it up. That's not fair to the effort these guys clearly put into making this beer. Caramel syrup and toffee malt lends sweetness. Hops aren't at the front as with most styles. I get them more towards the middle of the drink, and they've got kind of a spruce type of flavor to them. Dried peaches and apricots are there too. But they're there only briefly, before more sweetness takes over and blasts you into a warming finish due to the high ABV. It's nice to finally see this beer back on the shelves. To me it's one of the beers I look for to let me know that, hey, despite it being nearly 100 degrees today summer is on the way out. This would be a great beer to enjoy in 50 to 60 degree temperates either outside camping or at your local football team's tailgate. I thoughroughly enjoy this beer, and in many respects it's the complete opposite of their summer seasonal. My only complaint is that it's not out nearly enough. (1,680 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

What a pleasant surprise. Snagged this one at Plan B in Simsbury, CT today.

Poured into a pint glass with about a 1/2" inch head which hung on for awhile. Sheet lacing throughout the drink. A very pleasing auburn, medium copper color; definitely makes you feel a New England Autumn.

Vinous aroma with some raisin and fig presence. Malt and bread dominate.

Taste is VERY complex, so many flavors attack the tongue; dark fruit, malt and bread. Elevated ABV is very present at the front, but it doesn't overwhelm. MALT, MALT everywhere; with definite sweetness, but does not exhibit cloying qualities. As much as I tried, I could not detect any hops, but the hops must be there to provide some balance to the sweet malt.

Carbonation was "small" and provided for a very good & smooth mouthfeel.

The elevated ABV doesn't allow for too many of these, but you could always get a designated driver to cart you home.

An outstanding Imperial version of the style.

If you like malt, run don't walk to Plan B in Simsbury before this one kicks Not cheap at $7 per pint, but worth it, IMO.

Steve (1,093 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

There is no other beer quite like Kaiser for me. It reminds me of my favorite part of the year: fall. It puts me in a great mood no matter what else is going on.

The appearance is deep and dark with a copper or orange-ish hue. The smell is inviting and appealing. It's the taste that I feel is unmatched at this time by any other beer of its type. Its strong, yet balanced taste is perfect for what it's meant to be; which is a beer for drinking casually on a chilly day. The strong content will warm you, while its flavors of caramel and toffee with a slight sweetness will delight you. I like my beers big and bold; the Kaiser has plenty of both.

Interestingly, I have found more than any other beer that Kaiser changes its profile almost completely from tap to bottle. I have had it in both mediums multiple times (even a bottle from the tap room itself) and have found I do not enjoy it nearly as much from the bottle. In my opinion this is a beer you must have straight from the tap. (990 characters)

Original Gravity- 1.085
9.1% abv.

Appearance- Great clear copper with constant and steady small bubbles down to the last drop Not to mention the best lacing I've seen for any Oktoberfest beer. Great two finger head with a slow, gradual reduction. The best.

Smell- Lots of spicey toasted malts with a little hint of orange peeko tea. Not a very strong alcoholic presence. Medium sweetness compared to more traditional Oktoberfests from Deutschland.

Taste- A mix of semi-sweet toasted amber malt with chammomile. Some mild hop undertones in the front. The real spiciness hits at the very back of the throat. It leaves a very strong impression of what your drinking. A pretty strong Oktoberfest.

The best Oktoberfest beer I've ever had. (749 characters)

22oz Bomber (bottled in 2010) into a Dogfish Head Snifter

Oh avery, my avery. Do you make a bad beer? Nope. This beer pretty much is fall. It's simple, orange, tastes great, and warms you up.

A: Deep red, bordering on orange. Rusty. Lots of creamy, wonderful head.

S: Seet and strong, light and fresh, but also thick.

T: Slow starting, into a fat rich middle, tail is also fat and fans out into a sweet boozy finish that lingers wonderfully. No bite to it, perfect lager.

F: Rich and lush and warming in the belly. Wonderful. Avery seriously makes the best feeling beers, every time, it's amazing.

D: Just f***ing awesome. Seriously Avery, well done again, and for like $7 ... shiiit. (690 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +16%

For a Imperial Oktoberfest this was a very good beer! for me when i took a drink there was bitter then hops after taste stays with you for a bit, what gives you time to take this one slow at 9.30% and the crazyness of this hitting your taste buds and the fight between hops and bitter. (285 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +16%

Vintage 2010
Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a big mug. Pours a dark orange color (looks like non-alcoholic apple cider). Pretty much no head, so nothing to retain, no lacing. It is a very attractive color however.

Smells delicious- a good dose of malty sweetness, a round pumpkin scent, a little bit of cloves, and maybe cinnamon.

Tastes great as well- huge malty flavor, pretty sweet. I taste a good bit of pumpkin along with cinnamon and a little bit of the cloves. It's definitely not too sweet and rounds of very nicely at the end- not a dry finish but doesn't finish sickeningly sweet.

Mouthfeel is good- I'm still getting used to lagers of all styles so I still think this could use a little more carbonation. Has a great medium body and has a tiny bit of carbonation. This is a fantastic beer- incredible smell and flavor. (833 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +15.7%

Lush burnt orange body, topped by three fingers of off-white froth in the big DAB mug--just a sensational presentation, especially given the dense lacing it left on the glass. Good subtle nose, not great, giving off plenty of noble hops, malt, and the sweetness of fruit. The aromas become more pronounced as the beer sits.

The taste is rather impressive. There is some good spice in this, light but present pepper, a dash of ginger, but I'm tasting more of the malt and plenty of fruit--orange, pear, apple, and I believe banana. It's a bit unusual for an Oktoberfest--very delicious, for certain and not unexpectedly, but less spicy than I expected. Regardless, this is fantastic.

The mouthfeel does a lot to help keep everything in harmony--the fruit, malt, and spice intermingle quite well. It's rather drinkable for the high ABV (9.3%), but less than halfway through, I could feel the buzz full force.

A great way to end a cold night by the fire, with a mug of chilled Kaiser. Very good stuff; easily worth grabbing another for the cellar. (1,047 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +15.5%

Anyone who doesn't like this beer needs to put down their crack pipe and get help!!!

The smell was delicious and complex and the taste was well balanced between sweet and crisp. I absolutely loved this Oktoberfest, too bad it's seasonal. I am shocked that this was a 10% abv brew, you would never know. I could drink this all day!!!
Quite possibly the most dangerous beer I've come across, it's delicious and refreshing and you just don't have a clue about the abv until the last few sips. Go Avery!!! (502 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +15.5%

Sampled from 22oz bottle in pint glass.

Appearance: pours a modest off white head that slowly falls with mild lacing. Color is a cloudy amber with mild streaming carbonation.

Aroma: rich aroma of caramel, tangerine, and bread dough.

Mouthfeel; light to medium bodied, quite sticky, with a dry and warming alcohol finish.

Flavor: caramel, toasted bread, raisin, cinnamon, tangerine are all prominent.

Overall: nothing to criticize with this beer. Quite delicious. (467 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +15.5%

It pours a lovely dark golden yellow, very appetizing. Aroma is strong and malty with fruity hints, mainly apple. Flavor is rich and mouth filling, very malty with hints of spice and apple and just a whisper of sweetness. It goes down with just a touch of hop bitterness. Very satisfying. Prosit! (296 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is Avery’s version of an imperial Oktoberfest, Batch 8, bottled August 2011 and shared April 2012.

It pours an amber color with a golden ruby hue in the setting light of an afternoon sun. There’s some light foam, but not a whole lot. More than I was expecting for such a big beer. 10% ABV!

It has an aroma of figs, raisins, and dark cherries (but not quite any of those). There’s a sweetness around the edges, almost like a bourbon-esq note on the aroma.

Exceptionally smooth flavor. No roast nor cloyingly sweet malts either. More of the dark fruits, with a light touch of figs and cherries. I get some hints of candied orange peel and marmalade. It has a sweet finish with a flavor profile similar to some of the other Avery beasts. As far as I know it’s not barrel aged but it has a an oaky smoothness. Strong, yet smooth—I can taste the alcohol but its mellow and gentle. Delicious and the perfect desert beer. (934 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +14.7%

A very surprising inexpensive beer for Fall.

Copper like in apperance not so much opaque, keeps a good head. Bready smell, but mostly has a big giant smell of banana bread on taste and finish.

Good body, some slight sweet toffee taste on the finish also. Sort of a strange lingering finish of sweet and bitter.

Good price point also highly recommended. If you love banana bread you will not be dissapointed. (410 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +14.7%

I had a 10oz. draught of this beer at the local Old Chicago-- part of the "Octoberfest Mini Tour."

Upon presentation the beer had a nice, 1" head; never entirely left as I drank. The taste was very malty, true to the Octoberfest style. The higher alcohol content was not apparent at all-- a very drinkable beer. I couldn't believe that the ABV was over 9%-- I would have guessed it at about 7.

Although I'm a fan of hoppy beers, this was a nice change for a style that is always good this time of year! (504 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +14.4%

First off, I thought this beer was very delicious...and I will certainly buy another! The toasty biscuit flavors, to me, are awesome. Again, a great tasting beer.

With that said, if I must have an issue with the brew, it's the appearance and it's taste (stick with me here). I don't know if I poured mine incorrectly, but it was very cloudy...which I thought Oktoberfests are supposed to be clear (I'm thinking about Spaten, Sam Adams, and the like). Also, to me, the flavor didn't strike me as a strong Oktoberfest. I thought the bitterness was appropriate, and of course the mouthfeel is going to be amped up, but I didn't think Oktoberfest when I had the beer.

Again...GREAT tasting. In fact, I loved it! Just thinking about the Oktoberfests I've had (it's my favorite style :) ), it just didn't seem to...Oktoberfesty to me. (830 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +14.2%

Bottled in 2005. Grabbed the wrong year, but I was cool with that considering the ABV.

Dark amber color with an off-white head with decent lacing. Smell was malty, plenty of caramel. Very nice and sweet flavor, seemed much more like a doppelbock, but it was very good nonetheless. Plenty of caramel in the taste, other sweet malts come into play as well. Mouthfeel was heavier than medium bodied, with medium carbonation. Overall, even though it was a year old, it was still very good. I'd buy this again for sure. (517 characters)

22oz bottle poured into several Snifter Glasses

A – Poured a very nice deep orange color with a decent sized, maybe two finger high head of foamy white that faded quickly and left behind nothing more then a touch of side glass lace. Some carbonation was visible throughout the session.

S – The aroma was very tightly packed, lots of caramel and cereal and earthy grains blended in with a touch of alcohol and the ever present hint of a bit of spice. A little more complex of an aroma then I was expecting, you could definitely pick up the original marzen like smells coming through.

T – The flavor was brilliant to be honest. For something this big that was packing a punch of almost 10%abv, it was remarkably smooth. Great mix of earthy grains with a nice touch of caramel that rolled around and blended very nicely with a smooth laid back hoppiness in the finish. A good touch of spice was present, perhaps some nutmeg and all spice, very nice touch and the alcohol was blended in very smoothly. A hint of warming was present from it, but it was very well hidden.

M – Very nice and smooth. The carbonation kept it from becoming too syrupy, but it was a bit of a slick medium bodied ale. Had a good clean finish and the overall feel was very fitting for the style, just a tad bit heavier then normal.

D – Fantastic sipper. Despite being a bit of a big boy in terms of ABV, this was very smooth and had a very light texture. Super smooth going down you never really did get bored of this one. I would have liked to have had another when it was all said and done.

Overall I was very impressed with this one. An Imperial Oktoberfest, what a novel idea. This was pulled off wonderfully, as most things from Mr. Avery are. This will be one that I will look forward to in the future and will become a regular seasonal favorite. Very nice addition indeed. Would have to recommend this to anyone. (1,900 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +14.2%

Dennis: This beer is an example of why I like Avery so much as a brewery, they take something that is boring and mundane, and amplify it into something stronger. Every October you get besieged by a glut of Oktoberfests from just about every brewery out there, even Miller and Coors. Instead of just regurgitating another version of that though, they take and put the Avery spin on it, strong malts, and stronger hops designed to hide the increased alcohol behind it. The noble hops elevate this "lager" to a whole new level, very strong but not overpowering. The malt sweetness can be a bit overpowering, especially if you let the glass breathe a bit and warm up. Still for those of us that love large beers this is the beer of choice this fall.
Jen: I generally love Oktoberfests, and this one seems to top the list. It is unique and will stand out in a overcrowded shelf of fall brews. I get a nice malty beginning, followed by hops and ending with an alcohol pow, something you might not expect, but not overwhelmed with either. The mouth feel is a combination of tiny bubbles and a medium body. I look forward to the 2007 and planning on buying extra to cellar. (1,166 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark amber orange color. Forms a small head which remains pretty well and it also leaves some large bubbled lace along the sides of the glass.

Nice fresh sugary malt smell. Some hop elements too but its really all abou the malt. Some caramel and candy like aspects as well.

Taste is quintessential marzen.When you think about what a marzen is supposed to taste like, this is basically it. Sugarry and bready with caramel or toffee notes.Very subtle hops in the background but the finish is also somewhat coating and resinous. Slightly sticky mouthfeel but nothing too negative. Pretty smooth but not too drinkable due to the high abv.

Another great beer by Avery. (672 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Insane imperial oktoberfest seasonal from Avery. Cracked a bomber and split with my wife after drinking Paulaner all afternoon, great way to finish the evening. Pours a deep coppery red with very little head. Awesome color - just looks like a badass beer. Heavy cherry on the nose, malt, bread. Surprising melon element in the flavor, as well as strawberry. 10.2 abv, and absolutely no indication of it. Medium to full mouthfeel, and light carbonation. One of my favorites from the large format Avery brews. Really nicely done. (527 characters)

The Kaiser from Avery Brewing Company