The Kaiser - Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  10.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: maxpower on 08-28-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Kaiser Alström Bros
insidetheoutside

Kentucky

09-15-2012 23:15:36 | More by insidetheoutside
johnhenryconway

11-19-2011 04:56:55 | More by johnhenryconway
Jdiddy

Rhode Island

1.1/5  rDev -71.6%

Well, I must say I was very surprised with this beer and not in a good way. While I am a huge fan of Avery, this was just way off IMO. For starters, I expected a nice malty/spice smell. It actually smelled a bit like Strohs to me. The taste was very heavy/syrupy and the alcohol is not hidden well at all. Unfortunately, this went right down the drain as I found it next to impossible to drink. Very sweet as well and sort of tasteless.

09-24-2006 20:34:36 | More by Jdiddy
Avague

1.25/5  rDev -67.7%

08-10-2014 04:28:37 | More by Avague
phillipzayas

1.38/5  rDev -64.3%

Sheesh this one was a bad one. Some beers shouldn't be imperialized in my honest opinion. This was one of them

A - Dark red, almost brown color. Too far on the SRM for a typical Oktoberfest. It was fair, but not terribly great.

S - Ok, any lagered beer generally doesn't produce a whole heck of a lot of nose character. This one had a very pungent aroma that was like unfermented malts. I could not detect much else after that.

T - BAD!! Just not good at all. All that residual sugars in it came right out on the taste buds. Could not even detect the hops profile or anything else except that unfermented/residual sugar flavor. Not good at all. I picked up a lot of hot alcohol, residual sugar and something else in the flavor profile that was just not good at all. I LOVE OKTOBERFESTS!! Just not this one at all. I don't know what they were going for with the "imperial" title, but they need to go back.

M - Lets see: Mouthfeel. I "feel" like this will never go back in my "mouth". That sums up "mouthfeel."

D - Definitely not drinkable in my opinion. Even my friend who was drinking it said it almost seemed "chewy". I had to agree with him. For a lager beer, this was a fail.

I have never had an Avery product I have ever liked and it continued to this day.

01-11-2010 17:21:36 | More by phillipzayas
nickhiller

1.6/5  rDev -58.7%

A: amber, weak head, no lacing

S: Juicy Juice, fruit roll ups, sauerkraut

T: Juicy Juice, that is literally all I taste, you could carbonate Juicy Juice and have me blind taste these and there would be a 50/50 chance I would pick the right one

M: think carbonated juice

D: way too sweet for my tastebuds. It's no secret that I am not a fan of Avery (see previous posts) and this one, sadly, lives up to the low expectations I have for this brewery

09-18-2010 23:00:40 | More by nickhiller
JLeege

1.7/5  rDev -56.1%

Appearance- pours a deep orange to almost amber in color. crystal clear, one finger white head. Looks and poured very nice.

Smell- bready, dark fruits, caramel, butterscotch

Taste- not as much initial flavor as the armoma would suggest. fairly boozy as well.

Mouthfeel- Thick, yet slick... with low carbonation. A ton of alcohol warming as well.

Overall- I am disapointed in this years offering. This is pretty bad, and being jacked up to around 10% you are going to expect some alcohol to be present. But with this I am getting a lingering aftertaste of cheap vodka. The initial flavor is nice, but as soon as I am getting it down, it tastes like what I remember Skol tasting like.

I have been avoiding saying it this whole time, because I remember liking this beer a year ago...THIS IS A BOOZY MESS

I have never done a drain pour, if I buy a beer, I am going to drink it. But the other half of this bomber doesnt stand a chance, what a sad day!

09-15-2010 03:02:07 | More by JLeege
MiScusi

1.78/5  rDev -54%

Had this on tap at an Oktobefest celebration at Lucky Baldwin's Delirium Cafe in Sierra Madre, CA.

A- pours a nicely looking burnt orangish to red. Nice thick head sits up there with great retention. Not lookin too bad to start off.

S- Not sure how to really describe it. It almost smells like you would predict the taste... cloying. Its very sweet, some weird stuff in there too... probably the high alcohol.

T- Very hard to drink. There's alcohol, there's cloying sweetness and a toastiness that's trying to peak though. It doesn't work well at all.

D- too syrupy, doesn't make for a good oktoberfest style beer at all.

I understand that it's all about doing certain styles "Imperial" these days... but seriously, cmon. This is not a style that lends itself to the imperial. This was just flat out bad. The only reason anyone would give this a good score is if they are partial to Avery, or if they wanted to really believe that Avery is on to something new here with an Imperial Oktoberfest. They aren't. I didn't finish more than a few ounces so I gave it to my friend, and he couldn't finish it either.

10-04-2008 05:34:00 | More by MiScusi
WritersBlock

05-21-2012 01:00:47 | More by WritersBlock
crossovert

I'm not sure what the point of an imperial Oktoberfest is, and if it will even push any type of boundaries. 650ml foiled bomber.

It pours hazier than the style standard, it is a cidre color. Th head is off-white and the lacing is super dirty looking.

The smell has a tangy fruit character, some caramel nut, and alcohol.

The flavor is pretty bad. Super cloying sweetness, rotten fruit, sickly sweet caramel. Huge alcoholic presence.

This beer is not needed.

10-07-2010 20:52:44 | More by crossovert
rashbash22

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Looks like a less watery king cobra

Smell: Malts are overwhelming, not much else

Taste: Extreme malt flavor, It is almost unbearable to even drink.

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated and reminds me of a more refined old english

Drinkability: Very hard to sip.

02-21-2011 09:25:04 | More by rashbash22
Erdinger2003

Iowa

2.13/5  rDev -45%

Vintage 2005, I know it's not quite meant like that, but Zipp's had one we thought was fresh...it wasn't.

The appearance looks very nice, the head is big and frothy and doesn't easily leave. It does however leave behind a very strong lacing. The color is light brown and looks good. The smell however reminds me of a Belgian with sweet tones of candy sugar and a slight hop fruitiness. Taste is a clash of bitter hops and sweet candy sugar and they collide on your tongue with an unpleasantness. The mouthfeel was ok and overall I would like to try this years version before putting this to rest.

01-06-2007 08:08:03 | More by Erdinger2003
t0rin0

2.3/5  rDev -40.6%

So I decided to give this another try last saturday at Lucky Baldwins in Pasadena. I tried it out of the bottle last year and it tasted stale so I wanted to make sure I didn't like it.

Pours a orange/copper color. Very clear, some white head, not much retention. CO2 level is good.

Very malty and sweet. I heard honey in one of the other reviews, I could see that. Aroma was moderately pleasant but not to style.

Taste was real sweet and alcoholy. Heavy on the dark malts in the flavor. Moderate bitterness for an Oktoberfest but this was not at all to style. Made me think of a German Barleywine, if there was such a thing.

Very thick and oily for an Oktoberfest. Its a mouthfeel more suited to a Russian Imperial Stout.

Not very drinkable at all. Between my roomate and I we got through about half of it before I dumped it in the bathroom. Don't see what all the hype is about, it's in no way an "Oktoberfest" beer.

10-08-2008 04:58:40 | More by t0rin0
RonfromJersey

2.3/5  rDev -40.6%

Crystal clear sunset-red body, topped by a fist of firm bone-china foam. Nice lacing evident early on.

A breeze of bread lurks in the aroma, but there's a licorice factory and a vodka distillery between my nose and the bakery.

An appropriately malty start, but the sweetness increases instead of balances. Classic octoberfests have a wonderous sense of depth to the malt. The baker is making bread, not just cookies. This is all sugar coating before yielding to a finishing burst of alcohol.

Nice body, not watery, not syrupy.

Drinkability: too sweet, too much alcohol. A struggle to get through. Thankfully, there is only one.

Imperial Octoberfest...this is either a bad idea, or a mediocre idea poorly executed. Pass it by.

09-26-2004 03:23:31 | More by RonfromJersey
GatorBeerNerd

Georgia

2.42/5  rDev -37.5%

A: Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a Bass pint glass. A microscopic amount of head that quickly disappeared. It looks very similar to a glass of tea once the head disappears. Its a clear medium brown color. No lacing at all.

S: Only two things I can smell in this one are malt and alcohol.

T: Very tart taste when it first hits your mouth and it stays until you swallow. The flavor is then replaced with a slight alcohol burn as an aftertaste.

M: It has a very watery consistency that is not that appealing. It has no carbonation in the mouth at all.

D: The alcohol and tartness of this one makes it a definite sipping beer. The taste doesn't lend itself to me wanting to knock it back either.

I was looking forward to trying this one since I had not had a beer from Avery that I did not enjoy up until this point. Personally I rank this one below average for an Oktoberfest. I guess Avery isn't perfect after all. Good thing they have so many fantastic brews to drink instead of this one.

10-27-2007 03:12:43 | More by GatorBeerNerd

02-07-2012 00:01:29 | More by jfcaa193
laituegonflable

Australia

2.55/5  rDev -34.1%

Pours a deep brownish amber, almost opaque, no head but a quick swish brings up off-white bubbly rim. Bit flat-looking.

Intensely sweet, with toffee, brandy snap and molasses; rum and apricot, and yeah, just fortified anything. Too strong, too sweet.

Taste is intense grainy, with creamed corn, rice syrup, soy sauce and a bit of spiritous rum note. Tastes underfermented and grainy yet strong. Not completely unnuanced and deep-end sweet. I don't like it, but I can get the merit in the palate, and know it's not an amateur brew.

Flat, bit of heat at the back. Fairly uninteresting texture.

Bit rocket fuel-y, malt liquor-esque, but not as overblown as I may have expected. I had this blind and it's given Avery a big hit in the average ratings. Another example of a style that doesn't need to be imperialised.

11-12-2013 06:01:53 | More by laituegonflable
yelterdow

2.55/5  rDev -34.1%

Served in an Oktoberfest tall glass at several degrees over fridge temperature.

Appearance- Pours a beautiful, fiery sunset amber that showcases a dramatic four-finger head, expanding right to the top of the glass. Soapy and meaty, the crown leaves behind miles of sticky, persistent lacing. Very nice.

Smell- A big, rich caramel malt backbone can't hide the obvious alcohol inherent in this beer... the nose isn't well balanced with a good hop profile. True enough to style, with an added dimension of dark fruit notes to help with the massive strength.

Taste- Maybe an Imperial Oktoberfest isn't the style to blast off into space with big ABV... the malts are grossly overpowered by a cloying sweetness and mediocre hops, then clobbered with alcohol heat that lingers long after the swallow.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- The texture here is thin and the carbonation, what little there is, dies out completely after two seconds in the mouth. I could never session this at a festival, nor would I care to sip one instead. A throwaway in the Avery line of usually great beers.

11-10-2006 05:38:12 | More by yelterdow
BlindPig

2.6/5  rDev -32.8%

A- Thick tan head on a clear copper body.
S- Big sweet caramel malt in the nose with the standard oktoberfest aroma following it. Kind of big in the grass hops for the style and just a hint of alcohol in the nose.
T- Really sweet caramel malts with strong alcohol over it. Big esters come through too. A mix of grass hops and alcohol tingle the tongue and leave a decent size bitterness on mid tongue.
M- Full body with low/medium carbonation.
D- I keep buying Avery beers in hope to find a good one. I think this may be the last one I try from them in a long time, I said that after Avery 14 though too.

10-30-2007 07:26:47 | More by BlindPig
Beaver13

Colorado

2.63/5  rDev -32%

The Kaiser pours a reddish amber with a decent light brown head that goes to a thin film and laces the glass.

Its aroma is toasted malt, some spicy hops and some vinous alcohol.

The flavor is sweet (a little too much so), slightly fruity, caramel malts initially, with some spicy hops. A strong acidic alcohol taste dominates through to the finish. It tastes a little medicinal - it reminds me a little of cherry nyquil. It is pretty full bodied and creamy.

I wanted to like this. I like Avery beers, but this one, like the Beast, disappointed me. Too much alcohol, too over the top.

08-28-2004 05:13:04 | More by Beaver13
Vancer

2.63/5  rDev -32%

Mark me as one of the thumbs-down folks on this one. The intense, harsh tree root flavor just did not go over well with me. Just not enough malt to balance this bad boy out.

The pour started out good – clear amber with ivory head, nice little sheet laces.

Not much in the aroma either, I barely detected fall spices – and I’ve got a pretty good size snozola.

Oh well, Avery has other offerings that are good.

10-30-2006 19:19:25 | More by Vancer