The Kaiser - Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  10.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: maxpower on 08-28-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Kaiser Alström Bros
RoyalT

3.25/5  rDev -16%

Appearance – This actually looks like a real German Oktoberfest. It is a bright brown in color and clear with a modest head.

Smell – The German Oktoberfest malts are very raw and gooey here, again reflective of the style. There's a tinge of booze that caused me to step back at first, but mostly this smells like a good German festbier.

Taste – Oh, man, this is wicked. It may look and smell like an Oktoberfest but it tastes like a bottle of liquor. The malts are drowned out by the cheap alcohol, and the lack of complexity that I enjoyed at the smell has become a tactless abhorrence at the taste.

Mouthfeel – This is actually light-bodied with no bittering or pungent flavors, so in this sense it nails the style. That booze though just won't go away. It's not stinging, but it is in fact quite overpowering.

Drinkability – I felt like a wino drinking this bottle. I think at one point in the brewing process it likely held some potential, but the insistent Avery tradition of making every beer too big for its britches really hurt this effort more so than most.

10-10-2007 03:31:18 | More by RoyalT
peabody

Kentucky

3.65/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours out like ice tea with one finger of white suds. Lacing on the glass.
Smell is Caramel alcohol and spices with a raisin fig fruitness.
Taste is strong sugar with just a hint of spice. The alcohol is very strong here. Not necessarily a bad thing either.
Mouthfeel is a bit oily and has the warming effect on the back of the throat all the way down to the stomach and beyond.
I drank the whole growler not knowing how much alcohol was in there. Wouldn't reccomend that too often.,

10-09-2007 01:37:40 | More by peabody
balconybrew

3.23/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured into a stein. A huge white head that lingered was atop a light copper liquid. The aroma was all malt and no hops. Almost sickeningly sweet aroma. Tast was average, too malty for me. The body is medium and carbonation is good. Colder is better.

10-09-2007 00:11:57 | More by balconybrew
woemad

Washington

4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

22oz bomber purchased at Bottleworks in Seattle for $6.99. My brother ordered this at Uber, and I had a sip and was very impressed. I had thought I'd picked this up the day before, but when I was moving cargo around in my car as a prepped for the journey back to Spokane I discovered I hadn't. Therefore, I hit Bottleworks on my way home to pick this up.

The bottle features the smiling face of Kaiser Wilhelm II, complete with spiked Prussian helmet and uber-waxed 'stache, on a background that lookes like a silver version of the old Imperial German Navy ensign.The label states it was bottled in 2007.

This was poured into a SA BL glass and exhibited a copper color, with a couple inches of off-white foam. Lots of lace.

This was fairly malty smelling, with the malt showing off a sweet, fruity scent. I got strawberries (a first for me with beer) and apples. A little of the alcohol strength comes through as well.

The taste starts off as a fruity smack to the palate. It's backed up by a boozy flavor. Doesn't quite finish as cleanly as a traditional O-fest would, but that's probably an impossible achievement considering the variations from the style in this beer.

This has a malty, medium body. Slick, slightly sticky mouthfeel.

A cool variation on the style. Best appreciated if it's understood this is not a traditonal O-fest. This is dangerously drinkable, as it goes down super easy for it's strength. Probably not a good session beer, but it makes a tasty after dinner sipper.

10-08-2007 18:55:52 | More by woemad
reeder

3.35/5  rDev -13.4%

I didn't really know what to expect from an imperial octoberfest, but as I poured this beer I became excited. I really like this beer's appearance. It has a lovely reddish amber color. Clear with a slightly amber creamy head.

After pouring I took a whiff. To be perfectly honest I didn't really get much out of the smell. A little bit of strawberris and maybe some apple. The amount of alcohol that I smelled told me that this was going to be a strong one.

The first taste was surprising. I guess I should have taken the 'Imperial' part more seriously, but the strength of this beer was a bit of a shock. I felt like I was tasting a barley wine. This is not a beer to be gulped. It is sweet and alcoholic. There is some maltiness in there, but not as much as I would expect out of an octoberfest.

I'm not a huge fan of this beer. Its pretty well executed, maybe I'm just not a fan of the style. Don't get me wrong. I like a strong beer. But, given the way this beer tastes, I would rather just drink a good barley wine.

10-08-2007 01:51:01 | More by reeder
kleffman

3.73/5  rDev -3.6%

On tap at the Liar's club, I was extremely excited for this seasonal Avery offering. I'm a little biased because I generally think Avery can do no wrong...

A reddish copper, with great clarity and a nice little head that didn't really stick around for long. The smell immediately hit me as apples, extremely sweet aroma with hints of citrus. Immediately upon taking my first sip my thoughts were a spiced apple cider. I don't know why I get so much apple out of this but my buddy agreed. It was quite a bit more bubbly in mouthfeel than I expected, but was soft at the same time. Kind of syrupy, and lingers for awhile. My main reaction was that this is a beer unlike any I've ever tried before. It is completely original, especially for the style. It's a little too cloying, and not malty enough for me as far as it's style and expectation but I thoroughly enjoyed something different for a change. I wouldn't want more than one ten ounce glass in a sitting, but I would most definitely go back to this fun oktober seasonal.

10-07-2007 18:37:51 | More by kleffman
ArrogantB

3.13/5  rDev -19.1%

2007 bottle poured up into a weizen glass. Beautiful iron color with bubbles racing to the surface. Smells malty, thick, sweet, nice with a little funky stank. The taste is definitely shocking, bready, sweet, thick stuff. The carbonation tells me I must drink slowly! Remember the 2000 election….hard to swallow bitch. This was so damn low on drinkability I could not finish the bottle.

10-05-2007 16:36:02 | More by ArrogantB
Zorro

3.08/5  rDev -20.4%

Very clear copper colored beer a tall tan colored head; it would be hard to make it look better in the glass.

The smell is extremely fruity. Smells like a yeast fermented hotter than it would really like. Sweet and malty but this is a strongly ester laced beer.

The taste begins malty and sweet with a strange melon flavor, never tasted melon in an Oktoberfest before! Still sweet but the malt kicks in a bit more and the melon taste becomes less. Still massive amounts of fruity esters in the taste and this reminds me more of Malt Liquor more than anything else. Hides the alcohol punch well but really needs more hops for balancing.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Just what the world needs an Oktoberfest Malt Liquor! Drinkable? Uh not really. Out of balance but not so much as "The Beast" is. Micro-brew Oktoberfest hooch yes, drinkable NO!

10-04-2007 05:35:27 | More by Zorro
Halcyondays

3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

22 oz. bomber, with an imposing picture of Kaiser Wilhelm on the cover,

A: Pours a bright, amber, orange, the thick white head lasted all the way through the 10th to 13th innings of the Rockies-Padres game, while I drank it, so very good retention, spotty lacing, the the quality of the head bumps it up to 4.5.

S: Very malty, caramel and toffee abound, has a sour quality to it, almost like a mixture of sauerkraut and pumpkin, with a mix of sweet orange oil, fragant, but very strange.

T: The immensity of the malts hit you first, there are some hops in there, but they are light and you really only notice them at the beginning of the brew before the phenolic and alcoholic character of the brew comes into effect, very sweet, can be cloying at times, but this is not much of a bother to me.

M: Thick and syrupy, phenolic, a bit of medicinal character to it as well, very sweet with a lot of residual sugar, with a bit of an alcohol burn, what I would expect from something described as an Imperial Oktoberfest.

D: Lower than its 5-6% brethen, this is a high quality strong lager beer that demands respect, it is a sipper, and a great fall seasonal, definitely something different this fall, first time I've ever found it, and I'm glad I did.

10-02-2007 23:17:04 | More by Halcyondays
CharlieMopps

3.63/5  rDev -6.2%

Enjoyed at Capital Ale House Innsbrook for Beer Geek Week '07

Vintage 2006

A: About a finger of white head formed atop a sea of deep amber, some lacing with sub-par retention, but the aging and serving style could be to blame.

S: A plethora of maltiness in the bouquet, with a good hop backbone that smelled floral and inviting.

T: Big array of malt noticeable on the tongue and a slightly mellowed, but bitter hop presence toward the finish. Tasty enough Marzen, with the balance being rather enjoyable.

M: Lots of carbonation, bubbling across the palate, with a big body and creamy mouthfeel. Slightly oily from the hops.

D: An interesting and enjoyable fall seasonal, especially after a year of laying down, but not something that's overly impressive. I thought the balance was nice, with enough hops to add a note of bitterness, but it just wasn't stand-out to me. Still, worth a try in my opinion.

09-30-2007 14:34:52 | More by CharlieMopps
franksnbeans

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a clear pumpkin orange with a thick creamy head. Smells very sweet, almost pumpkinesque, malty and bready. Taste as it smells, strong and sweet, almost syrupy. Not your traditional thin oktoberfest. Full in the mouth. Drinkable but you sip this guy, very tasty and makes you love the fall.

09-30-2007 04:32:34 | More by franksnbeans
jtrockchalk

Missouri

3.73/5  rDev -3.6%

22 oz bomber poured into oversized nonic glass.

A - Very typical Oktoberfest look. Medium amber color poured a two inch had that settled in a couple minutes with very nice lacing all the way down

S - Malty is about all I can say because it was so dominate. Very faint herbal and citrus qualities

T - I was really looking forward to this since I love Oktoberfests and anything Imperial. While it was a very good beer, I was expecting more hops to balance the added maltiness and that disappointed a bit. I was expecting a maltier Bobs 47 or a hoppier Spaten and it was neither.

M - The carbonation was excellent and long lasting making for a very smooth beer.

D - It was a nice beer, but at 9 percent I can only do 2 or 3 a night and I'd rather do only one of these and move onto something else.

09-30-2007 00:12:22 | More by jtrockchalk
brewcrew76

Wisconsin

A - Hazy amber orange with 2 fingers of off white head and small spots of lace.

S - Sweet malt, caramel, biscuit with a touch of hops. It smells like a beefed up Oktoberfest.

T - Very sweet, caramel, raisins, figs. This one is bordering dopplebock in the taste. Toasted grains with a touch of hops and a dry finish.

M - Thick and chewey with at ocuh of alcohol sting. This one drinks like a dopplebock too.

D - Smells like a beefed up oktoberfest but the rest is dopplebock in my opinion. Still very enjoyable if you are not expecting a typical oktoberfest.

09-29-2007 21:20:54 | More by brewcrew76
beeragent

4.13/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into a glass from a bomber. The beer pours a dark orange, forming a creamy 1 inch tan head. Light lacing all along the glass, and just enough carbonation to keep a thin layer of bubbles on the top after the head fades. The aroma is an interesting mix, mostly of sweet dark fruity notes, but also with a hint of alcohol. The taste is very interesting, starting with a light caramel flavor, transitioning to the dark fruit, and then ending with a light smooth alcoholic finish. Medium smooth mouthfeel. For a beer with such a high abv., this is suprisingly a very drinkable beer. Overall, I am quite impressed with this Oktoberfest, and wish they would have this available year round. I have to say of all the Oktoberfests that I've had this year, this has to be the best! I highly recommend this!

09-28-2007 22:20:56 | More by beeragent
SammyDavisJrJrJr

4.3/5  rDev +11.1%

The appearance was nothing special, a fine amber color with a fine head. The aroma was very inviting, with marshmallow, apple, grape/prune, and a nice alcohol base, while somehow still reminding me of an Oktoberfest style beer. In the mouth the alcohol sweetness tends to take over a bit, with maltyness and grape qualities kicking in at various points. This was a full bodied beer that I ended up drinking much quicker than I expected. Very good, has displaced Ayinger as my favorite fest beer.

09-28-2007 04:32:48 | More by SammyDavisJrJrJr
gwood

3.93/5  rDev +1.6%

This is my first brew from Avery. I've heard good things about the place but have yet to try any of the brews until this eve...

A - Quite pretty red copper, very clear, vibrant color. Carbonation was consistent for the entire tasting of the 1 pint 6oz bottle. Head is a bright white that laced down the glass. Really a nice beer to look at.

S - The nose wasn't overstated. Grains...lots of them. Hints of scotch whiskey and subtle maple. Slight tinge of some floral hops that were barely detectable.

T - Sweet malts up front with a slight caramel taste. The finish early on did have some slight hop notes that faded as it warmed. Grains again...lots of them. Sourdough bread kept coming to mind. Alcohol comes through more and more as it warms along with an increased sweetness. Later into the bottle it seemed to progressively anesthetize the tongue.

M - Medium body for the style. Coats the back of the throat. Good, long lasting carbonation.

D - Surprised at the drinkablity of this brew relative to the abv number (9.37%). Dangerous.

Overall a surprise I must say. It's a bit over the top and not as balanced as I would like for the style, but hey...that comes with the "Imperial" territory. All in all a great offering in my opinion but not somthing that will ALWAYS be in the coffer.

09-27-2007 05:36:44 | More by gwood
NEhophead

3.2/5  rDev -17.3%

1 pt 6 fl oz brown bottle; served in a becker.
Bottled in 2007.

Clean, pale auburn-copper in color. Foamy, bubble-filled bright white head that clings to the sides. Webbed lacing with impressive strength throughout.

Sweet molasses, weak caramel, and fragrant hazlenut aromas. Floral hops giving an earthy nose with off-fruity esters: tart apple, sour raspberry, and plum.

Sweet molasses-malt base that is not overpowering, but is long-lived. Odd fruit flavors giving this malt monster a tart, uneven taste; raspberry, cherry, plum, and lemon. The finish is slick and unencumbered followed by the lingering sweetness.

Medium to full in body; remarkably smooth for such a big beer, with a lot of slickness.

A hefty Marzen that is overpowered by the annoying fruit flavors. It is possible that some of these off-flavors will recede after a bit of again, which is not a problem at 9.37% abv.

09-24-2007 17:53:37 | More by NEhophead
ccrida

Oregon

4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

This beer is the shit! Well, I should say I'm a big fan of the Avery's big beers, and this is another one that I can see as being a really good benchmark for me to homebrew, bigger and bolder then the rest of em.

Poured into my St. Feuillien goblet, the appearance is a dark, clear ruby, with a pretty steady, light effervescence. A thin, wispy, off-white skim and collar, leaving very lightly scattered lace. As with the other categories, I'm going to rate this as the Imperial Oktoberfest that it is, not just a regular märzen.

The smell is strong and rich, all sweet caramel and ginger-bread malt. The richness is very alluring, and while it may be a bit thick, it stands up nicely to the crisp nights of this beautiful Indian summer. Still, the alcohol is unmistakable.

Taste is equally similar, heavy on the malt, almost like a barelywine, but with more caramel and not as dry...I've never had so much melanoidin in a beer, and it really helps keeping this from being to sweet. In-spite of the noble hop charge referenced to on the bottle, the strength of the alcohol dominates the finish, although it's quite clean. Again, I'm rating this as an Imperial fest, per the label. I kept searching for reasons to bump it down a half a point, but I couldn't find any. Way less fusels and phenols then, say a quad or other big ale, this was expertly lagered. My first of the style, and it's brilliant!

The mouthfeel is really not to thick for the strength of the brew, especially in light of regular Oktoberfests. Nevertheless, this big ass lager has the sludginess that goes with the territory of pushing 10% ABV.

This is really a pretty drinkable fest brew for being so strong. Its funny b/c I just had people over drinking Spaten's Oktoberfest, and the ameture's all thought it was tasty but stronger then it really is. While I personally have no trouble drinking Spaten's by the boot, ;), Avery's Impy Fest is awfully smooth for being almost double that. Still, I'd probably easier drink 6 Spaten's then 3 of these, as their almost Samichlaus rich...nevertheless, another fine big beer from Avery, brewed with passion!

09-23-2007 07:47:39 | More by ccrida
shroompod

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours with an orange, clear color. Nice head , a little lacing.

Smell is slightly citrusy with a caramel sweetness.

This almost has a sweet orange flavor to it, a nice mixture of mild hoppiness with malty sweetness.

Mouthfeel is thick/medium, some residual sweetness. Good carbonation.

Overall a nice beer to quaff @ 9.3%

09-22-2007 23:43:04 | More by shroompod
YonderWanderer

3.58/5  rDev -7.5%

A: Pours a deep, clear copper with orange highlights. A finger worth of foam leaves very little lacing behind.

S: Smell was somewhat weak. Hints of a malty sweetness come through with a few hints of fruit throughout, but not much more.

T: After the lackluster smell, the taste certainly came back to impress me. A big sweet caramel malt hits you up front followed by a light bittering brought on by the hops. Sugary sweetness and some apple-like fruitiness add a nice touch to this beer. Alcohol is barely noticeable for a 9.3% ABV.

M: Smooth and solid, decent carbonation and a nice dry finish round this one out. Very pleasant to drink.

D: Despite the high ABV, I could see wanting to session these on a cool crisp October day. It's tasty despite what the smell lets on and finishes really nicely. Well worth a try.

09-21-2007 02:16:21 | More by YonderWanderer
KingG

4.28/5  rDev +10.6%

Served chilled and poured into a Weizen glass.

Appearance is good. Deep copper colored and clear brew with a nice clumpy off-white head. Nice amount of lacing in the glass. Carbonation bubbles slowly climbing to the top.

Smell is good. Big sweet malts with a sharp peppery sting. Candy (Belgium?) sugar and a yeasty funk.

Taste is very good. Exactly what you'd think an Imperial Oktoberfest would taste like. Large candy sweet malt bill followed by a sharp bitterness that finishes with a wonderful taste of red apples. Barely any alcohol bite. Very nice.

Mouthfeel is very good. Perfect carbonation. Fluffy and full in the mouth. Finishes crisp and bold yet relatively clean.

Drinkability is good. Finishing this bomber will be easy and I'd welcome another.

Overall:
I didn't know what to make of an "Imperial Oktoberfest" but I came away pleasantly surprised. A big bold lager that is very enjoyable. Highly recommended.

09-20-2007 00:56:52 | More by KingG
HotterThanHell

Arizona

3.45/5  rDev -10.9%

The first thing I thought upon drinking my first sip was...In the words of Nigel Tufnel "But this one goes to eleven". Whoa what a robust beer.

The appearance is a beautiful auburn/orange with a nice off-white head and tiny bubble performing anti-gravity tricks.

The beer smelled of malt, and then more malt, with a hint of citrus, and a hint of bread soaked in alcohol.

The taste is Marzen/Oktoberfest on steroids. Strong malt and pretty strong alcohol taste. The alcohol is taste is why I gave the drinkability rating a small hit, and of course the alcohol content is high so I don't think you would want to drink more than one Mas of this at Oktoberfest.

A good beer though, and it served me well tonight as I am sure I will sleep well. Goodnight to all.

09-18-2007 03:40:57 | More by HotterThanHell
CWiggins

3.65/5  rDev -5.7%

Picked this up at Sam's Quik Stop in Durham while on a search for Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin ale. (It was there as well!)

Golden accents highlight the amber tint of the beer. A just off-white head that was a little more than one-finger quickly formed and remained for quite some time before dissipating into nothingness. The aroma is of dark malts with some citrus and spice elements, and there is a distinct sweet bread scent as well.

The flavor is intense indeed. It's apparent the alcohol is high, although 9.37% I would not have guessed. It's truly a marzen, but with more flavor, more creamy a mouthfeel, and a more warming alcohol sensation than one would ever get from a regular octoberfest brew. That's not to say this is intrinsically better; it's just different, with a severe downside being that you really can't drink more than one or two of these (at least I can't).

It's truly a great beer, but I must say I may prefer Oktoberfest beers that allow two, three, or four in a sitting. I will have this again.

09-18-2007 02:09:25 | More by CWiggins
livingregret

Washington

3.83/5  rDev -1%

Serving Type: 1 Pint 6fl oz

Appearance: Pours a light copperish amber w/ a 1 finger head that left minimal lacing

Smell: A sweet smell. Malty and some dark fruit mixed in. First impression fruit wise are banana's and a citrus in the back. a lot malts and you can get a little bit of the warming alcohol on the nose

Taste/mouthfeel: Sweet malty goodness w/ a very slight dryness at the end. The warming alcohol kicks in and quickly replaces any dryness. Nice and crisp but the warming alcohol overpowers the other flavours fairly quickly. If it was a little less "warm" i'd enjoy this a lot more. I also notice a touch of plum near the very end.

Drinkability: It's 9%...warm...and tasty. A very enjoyable beer and I will pick up another

Edit: Changing my review a little after enjoying more and more of this beer. The taste has "grown" on me and find myself enjoying the beer more and more. Although it is still a touch sweet for me....the ONLY thing that I don't care for about this beer is the sweet syrup like taste in my mouth after I drink it. Upgrading my taste to a 4 because I find that it is very enjoyable(a touch sweet) and knocking the mouthfeel down because the syrup taste lingers a touch oddly.

09-17-2007 02:13:31 | More by livingregret
IPALOVER

4.35/5  rDev +12.4%

I had a 10oz. draught of this beer at the local Old Chicago-- part of the "Octoberfest Mini Tour."

Upon presentation the beer had a nice, 1" head; never entirely left as I drank. The taste was very malty, true to the Octoberfest style. The higher alcohol content was not apparent at all-- a very drinkable beer. I couldn't believe that the ABV was over 9%-- I would have guessed it at about 7.

Although I'm a fan of hoppy beers, this was a nice change for a style that is always good this time of year!

09-17-2007 00:58:38 | More by IPALOVER