The Kaiser - Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  10.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: maxpower on 08-28-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Kaiser Alström Bros
FormatKid

Tennessee

4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

When I first heard of this beer it made me stumble mentally a bit. A marzen is one of the last beers I would expect to get the "imperial" treatment. I poured this beer out of it's neatly labeled 22oz bottle into a glass tumbler. The body is a deep combination of ruby and orange and nearly perfectly translucent. A sticky tan head steams up radidly, but recedes rather quickly as well to a clingy coating about the edge of the glass and a thin greasy layer on top. Honestly this is one of the most attractive festbiers I've seen to date. The nose is very rich with malts, luxorious and velvetty. My nose is dominated by fruity and caramelly flavors, so fruity in fact that it makes me doubt the fact that this beer truly uses a lager yeast. Tiny hints of spicy euro-hop peep through the thick curtains of malt. As I take a sip I notice the luscious, velvetty mouthfeel, a little thick for a marzen but I enjoy it none-the-less. Caramel blends with sharp fruity flavors, caramel dipped pears comes to mind (again a bit out of character). The finish is biting with spicy hops, and phenolic punch. I do actually pick up on tones of muted lager yeast flavors which confuses me a bit. This beers warms my throat up quickly and as I sip I can feel it working it's way to my head already. Stylistically, I'd have to say this beer is out of character, however I think it's damn good. Styles be damned anyway. I know I'm enjoying it a little late in the season, but this is a damn fine accompaniment to chili and fritos. Fine dining at it's best!

01-14-2005 03:11:43 | More by FormatKid
gbarron

Georgia

3.9/5  rDev +0.8%

From a 22 oz. bottle. 2006 edition.

A - light golden copper, clear. Head is slightly off-white, very bubbly. Lacing and retention are both excellent.

S - very grainy, smells like bread, grain, pilsner malt. Metallic/noble hop aroma. A little sour/tangy smelling. Not a really clean aroma.

T - taste is much better than the nose. Somewhat sweet, malty. Chocolate, toasted nuts. Tangy. Hop flavor is slightly metallic, spicy, noble in character. Tilted in the sweet direction. Needs a little more bitterness IMHO. Tastes like a large o'fest. Alcohol is fairly well hidden.

M - medium bodied, slightly sweet/sticky. Carbonation average to low.

D - tasty beer, basically a very large o'fest. If you are a real big fan of the style, try this one.

09-26-2006 01:05:16 | More by gbarron
aleslover

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

04-16-2012 03:54:36 | More by aleslover
JTahoe

Oregon

3.65/5  rDev -5.7%

A - Rich clear amber. One finger off-white head settling by a bit more than half, thick and sticky on the glass.

S - Pretty subdued. Malty with roasted grains and just the most subtle hint of hops.

T - Sweet raisins, caramel, toasty bread, and lots of malt flavor. midrange, followed by a peppery hop finish. Just the faintest bit of hops in the background.

M - Pretty thick, rich, and chewy at first, but it finishes surprisingly thin... this quality wasn't pleasing at first, but was more appreciated as I got towards the bottom of the glass. Medium-light carbonation.

D - Pretty drinkable with a lot of typical Marzen qualities, though a tad move bumped up which along with the high ABV I suppose warrants the "Imperial" label.

11-12-2009 04:53:20 | More by JTahoe
jbonapar

Ontario (Canada)

2.78/5  rDev -28.2%

Purchased while on a trip to New York..Not fair, you Americans have such an amazing selection of beer! Anyway...

Pours a wondferul dark gold, amber with a thick thick creamy lacing head. Beautiful.

Smell is subtle of malt with flowery and herbal hops. A small sniff of alcohol.

Taste: Immediate malt that quickly dissipates into a strong alcohol flavor which then progresses to a strong bitter yet herbal hop flavor. Slight vanilla, slightly fruity...Very crisp, although the alcohol does seem to dominate a bit for me. I have a hard time drinking this.

Overall, very intersting. I do personally find the alcohol a bit overpowering. I really can't drink it due to the overpowering alcohol flavor. It really takes over as far as I am concerned.

12-11-2011 00:41:41 | More by jbonapar
RussBecker1

4.23/5  rDev +9.3%

A- Poured a deep ruby with nice Amber undertones. One to two finger clean head sits atop for a decent amount of time. Darker than a number of marzen's i have had.

S-Very crisp and distinctive scents pour out of this nose. It smells distinctively like a marzen with tangy malts leading the forefront. There is a very crisp apple and hit of mabe melon that follows that balances out the nose nicely.

M-Smooth and crisp, very easy to drink.

T-One of the most delicious American marzen's I have tasted. All notes mentioned in the nose are prevalent, but there is a much bigger alcohol note that was not overtly detected at first. The alcohol brings out a number of the flavors and cuts the tang which would have been too much otherwise. It was outstanding.

O-I will look forward to this every Fall.

10-16-2012 14:58:36 | More by RussBecker1
kegerator

Maryland

4.3/5  rDev +11.1%

very nice brew. Is this really an Oktoberfest beer? not in my opinion. To me it came off as more of a Barley Wine style then Oktoberfest..

poured out a nice deep copper color with ruby hints and a decent 1/2 inch off-white head that left some decent lacing.
Smell was a littel faint, hard to pick up but mostly smelled of sweet caramel malts with a touch of hop in the far background. when agitated the aroma reminded me of a cross between old ho and bigfoot. Interesting
Taste was a big hit of malt up front followed by a very balanced hop dry finish. I thought the alcohol hit at the very end but was well blended in. As it wamred the alcohol came out a touch more but was still very pleasant. To me it seemed dangerously drinkable. All in all a very enojyable brew with a nice mix of malt and hop that I would certainly purchase again.

01-10-2005 16:01:35 | More by kegerator
Hex92

3.9/5  rDev +0.8%

This is the 2nd or 3 rd beer that I have tried that has been billed as an 'imperial lager'. I must be a fan of the style since I have liked all three.

A- reddish orange. Nice lacing.
S- not much of anything.
T- I like it. I can taste/feel the alcohol....which I like. It has that Marzan flavor only more.
M- somewhat flat, very few bubbles. Kinda syrupy, but not overly so.
O- a very interesting beer. I would buy this one again.

09-16-2012 04:12:17 | More by Hex92
HoppyMcStout

2.73/5  rDev -29.5%

I poured this brew into a standard pint glass. Decent head with very mild lacing toward the very top of the glass. The color was a translucent reddish-brown. The scent was pure sugar, maybe a faint maple syrup? The taste was not pleasing. I suppose there is a reason why there aren't many imperial oktoberfests. This one had virtually no hop bite and was all malt. Not that all malt it necessarily bad, but this brew was just a mush of overly sweet flavors that had no distinctive character at all.

09-14-2008 15:16:23 | More by HoppyMcStout

Colorado

08-26-2013 13:40:33 | More by Mayo2323
numenor1

3.83/5  rDev -1%

Pours clear copper with a very fluffy beige head that sticks around and laces very well. Smells very clean and malty. Massive malt on this one, a tad bit harsh upon entry but then smooths out nicely over the palate. Caramel and slight fruitiness. Drying very slowly from present, but low grade bitterness and assistance from the alcohol. Hops become more pronounced about midway through as it's warmed a bit. Very bready and nutty through the finish. Alcohol lingers a tiny bit near the end. Very plush mouthfeel and creamy through the finish, though I could stand a tad more carbonation. Drinkability is so-so.

Very interesting beer, not really like anything i've had before. Intriguing almost. Not something i'd drink on a regular basis, but definitely worth a shot.

2006 edition

09-03-2006 19:06:55 | More by numenor1
station815

04-24-2012 01:47:11 | More by station815
PhiloPsych

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

I don't drink lagers very often. When I do, it's usually Doppelbocks or Marzens. I probably prefer Marzens, and this one is as good as I've had within that style.

There is a taste that I detect in all lagers that I don't really know how to describe, but it's clear in this beer. It's not a bad taste by any means, but it is definitely there. In this respect, and every other, this beer is true to style--and a very good representative of the style.

For me the most remarkable thing about this beer is that the high alcohol content is not noticeable in the taste or aroma. So this beer is knocking me in the skull ... but in a sneaky way.

10-26-2008 05:53:38 | More by PhiloPsych
Chambic

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

01.09.10 at Burger Bar SF.

A: copper, looks like it's lighter body than you'd expect for that color

S: caramel, syrupy, maybe orange blossoms

T: light malt

M: nice carbonation with a clean, snappy finish

D: a nice first-beer-of-the-day beer

Pretty tasty with the zucchini fries.

01-15-2010 18:06:05 | More by Chambic
Woodysbeard

11-04-2012 19:43:21 | More by Woodysbeard
jtrockchalk

3.73/5  rDev -3.6%

22 oz bomber poured into oversized nonic glass.

A - Very typical Oktoberfest look. Medium amber color poured a two inch had that settled in a couple minutes with very nice lacing all the way down

S - Malty is about all I can say because it was so dominate. Very faint herbal and citrus qualities

T - I was really looking forward to this since I love Oktoberfests and anything Imperial. While it was a very good beer, I was expecting more hops to balance the added maltiness and that disappointed a bit. I was expecting a maltier Bobs 47 or a hoppier Spaten and it was neither.

M - The carbonation was excellent and long lasting making for a very smooth beer.

D - It was a nice beer, but at 9 percent I can only do 2 or 3 a night and I'd rather do only one of these and move onto something else.

09-30-2007 00:12:22 | More by jtrockchalk
horrorspecialty

11-16-2011 20:45:34 | More by horrorspecialty
brantadid

3.65/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured a clear amber color with ruby highlights. Not much head formed. Very little lacing.

Smelled malty and sweet.

Tasted of sweet malt on the front to mid palate. Sweetness fades to slight tobacco notes and then bitterness and finally a very slight sourness. I had to take issue with this beer because: (1) If didn't taste like an Oktoberfest and (2) It tasted more like an ale than a lager. To me, this beer tasted more like an old ale. That being said, it was very tastey.

Mouthfeel is nice. Lots of carbonation cuts through the sweetness giving the beer a lighter mouthfeel.

02-24-2008 21:08:09 | More by brantadid
livingregret

Washington

3.83/5  rDev -1%

Serving Type: 1 Pint 6fl oz

Appearance: Pours a light copperish amber w/ a 1 finger head that left minimal lacing

Smell: A sweet smell. Malty and some dark fruit mixed in. First impression fruit wise are banana's and a citrus in the back. a lot malts and you can get a little bit of the warming alcohol on the nose

Taste/mouthfeel: Sweet malty goodness w/ a very slight dryness at the end. The warming alcohol kicks in and quickly replaces any dryness. Nice and crisp but the warming alcohol overpowers the other flavours fairly quickly. If it was a little less "warm" i'd enjoy this a lot more. I also notice a touch of plum near the very end.

Drinkability: It's 9%...warm...and tasty. A very enjoyable beer and I will pick up another

Edit: Changing my review a little after enjoying more and more of this beer. The taste has "grown" on me and find myself enjoying the beer more and more. Although it is still a touch sweet for me....the ONLY thing that I don't care for about this beer is the sweet syrup like taste in my mouth after I drink it. Upgrading my taste to a 4 because I find that it is very enjoyable(a touch sweet) and knocking the mouthfeel down because the syrup taste lingers a touch oddly.

09-17-2007 02:13:31 | More by livingregret
Joey-bags1990

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

10-31-2013 18:08:28 | More by Joey-bags1990
ojiikun

Washington

3.6/5  rDev -7%

Live reviewed from Collins Pub in Seattle, WA.

Tap handle simply said "Imperial Oktoberfest" on an Avery logo, so I can only presume it's the Kaiser. Served up in a medium flared goblet with 1/2" of good, dark-creme head. Body is moderately dark and very orange. Crystal clear.

Smell is malty as heck and has hints of vinegar. Mashed fruit undertones, not sweet at all. Grapefruits and whole-wheat bread.

Taste is wickedly tart and fairly hoppy. Sour fruit dominates along with darkly toasted malt. Black cherry and champagne.

Paired with a salad with a very spicy vinegarette, the tart flavour tones down and a caramely malt surges forth. Yeast takes on an almost Belgian cast rather than German.

Mouthfeel is good, clean for a 9. Carbonation is sufficient, but not exciting.

I haven't had many strong Marzens before, but this one seems to be a bit sour for my taste. Will have to try a few more before I can recommend for or against.

10-17-2007 19:40:25 | More by ojiikun
charrel

03-02-2014 06:04:31 | More by charrel
evilkalla

Alabama

3.6/5  rDev -7%

Serving: 2008 Bomber into a lager glass.

A: Clear amber with 1/8 inch of head. Mild carbonation.

S: This one has a malty, sweet smell to it. Reminds me of an english-style barleywine with its caramel/molasses smell.

T: Malty with a bitter backbone, with a molasses/brown sugar taste to it. A little on the bland side to be honest - this one just doesn't work for me. Smooth though, and hard to detect the stated 10% ABV.

M: Pretty good; not too syrupy and a decent level of carbonation. Alcohol very hard to detect.

D: Not a bad beer, but this one isn't for me.

07-27-2010 01:26:11 | More by evilkalla