The Kaiser - Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  10.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: maxpower on 08-28-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Kaiser Alström Bros
3.83/5  rDev -1%

Served in a Sloeber tulip glass

This one pours a gorgeous deep orange/amber color, but the ecru foam doesn't stay around to long at the party. The smell is incredibly bready in nature, I'm sure the yeast saw to that. There is a lot on the nose, what I can detect (and I assure you it's not all of it) is mainly clove and cinnamon. Bits of orange zest round out the nose to a nice fragrantly potent smell. As I tasted it the first thought that ran through my mind was that this tasted like French Toast (don't tell the Kaiser, it'll upset him...at least until he conquers Belgium). The flavors comprising that are the bread, egg, and cinnamon most attributed with that combination. The only deviation from that flavor is there is a whiskey/boozy background flavor that reminds you this is more of a college breakfast than you wanted it to be. The mouthfeel is just a bit too syrupy for my liking with regards to the fact that there is a lack of carbonation to make it have that pop it needs. This beer is a bit too boozy and strong for me to say that I could drink it too often, but by no means is it bad. I recommend you try it. It's definitely a different Oktoberfest than I've ever had.

Vdubb86, Oct 06, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +15%

22oz Bomber (bottled in 2010) into a Dogfish Head Snifter

Oh avery, my avery. Do you make a bad beer? Nope. This beer pretty much is fall. It's simple, orange, tastes great, and warms you up.

A: Deep red, bordering on orange. Rusty. Lots of creamy, wonderful head.

S: Seet and strong, light and fresh, but also thick.

T: Slow starting, into a fat rich middle, tail is also fat and fans out into a sweet boozy finish that lingers wonderfully. No bite to it, perfect lager.

F: Rich and lush and warming in the belly. Wonderful. Avery seriously makes the best feeling beers, every time, it's amazing.

D: Just f***ing awesome. Seriously Avery, well done again, and for like $7 ... shiiit.

codewarrior, Oct 06, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -5.7%

A- Pours a clear amber with a off-white head. Head had good retention and leaves some nice lacing.

S- Pretty subdued. Malty with roasted grains and just a tiny bit of hops.

T- Sweet rasins, caramel, toasty bread, and lots of malt flavor.

M- Lighter side of medium in body. Carbonation seemed right on.

D- Pretty drinkable this one grew on me. Surprised by the abv.

nrbw23, Oct 05, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance- Although this should give more credit to the bar (Grill Next Door, Haverhill, MA) than to the beer, appearance was even better by the fact that it was served in a proper glass.
Golden dark color at the top of the glass, with the color lightening at the bottom due to a narrower base. Medium carbonation. Not much head, but it held the head just long enough.

Smell- Fruity, especially for what they're calling an Oktoberfest. But pleasant, loving it so far.

Taste- Delicious. Fruity, creamy, smooth taste that goes down easy, if not a bit thick (Imperials, whaddyagonnado?). It tastes like the caramel is actually making it creamy while the pineapple taste adds some sweetness to it. May border a bit on too sweet, I'd never do more than maybe 2 in a night.

Mouthfeel- Coats the tongue, great aftertaste, non-abrasive carbonation. A bit too smooth, makes it feel almost oily maybe?

Drinkability- I'd give it a 5 if I'm just having one. Rapidly will decline the more you have though, so gotta bring it down to 3.5. This is a great definition of enjoyed in moderation.

Overall, a tasty beer... but something that makes me think of summer more than fall. Oktoberfests make me expect a fall beer.

JMastrangelo, Oct 02, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

Bomber poured into a pint glass. This is a transparent amber color without much head. Smell is very sweet with caramel and brown sugar apparent. Taste is heavy on sweet malts with some brown sugar, graham cracker, dark fruit, and biscuit flavors. Alcohol is fairly high (much higher than the typical oktoberfest) but actually blends in pretty well. Medium to heavy mouthfeel. Being an "imperial" oktoberfest, this is pretty unique. Worth trying.

webmanspidey, Oct 02, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +13.2%

A very surprising inexpensive beer for Fall.

Copper like in apperance not so much opaque, keeps a good head. Bready smell, but mostly has a big giant smell of banana bread on taste and finish.

Good body, some slight sweet toffee taste on the finish also. Sort of a strange lingering finish of sweet and bitter.

Good price point also highly recommended. If you love banana bread you will not be dissapointed.

smakawhat, Oct 01, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

22oz bomber bottle, bottled in 2009, into my favorite beer testing glass.

Appearance: Poured aggressively, only yielded a small 1 to 1.5 inch head that fell fast, leaving a very thin layer on the surface. BEAUTIFUL deep copper color, but clear. Minimal lacing, very thin and wispy remnants. Seems to be a low carbonation.

Nose: Dark sugars and spice? A peachy overtone, surprising to say the least. Big malty tones, I really don't smell any hops. Perplexing to me, I let my 11yr old son smell it (no tasting) and he immediately said "it smells like a peach". Hmmm.

Taste: Definitely kind of sweet but not overpowering, a a BIG malty assault, smooth and spicy sweet. Again, a definitive dark, spicy peach tone. Spicy caramels. Odd, surprising again, but good in a new way. I have never tasted a lager like this. Warms the throat as it goes down, the 9.7% abv shows itself here a bit with a boozy kick. Fairly low to low medium carbonation. NOT a fast drinking beer in my opinion. It smooths out and seems more complex as it warms, but I find it hard to place the flavors precisely. Dare I say it has a gran cru style of flavor but a little less sweetness?

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, rich, with a bit of oiliness. The low carbonation seems to let it linger on the teeth a bit but not in a bad way. I dare say it feels like (and almost tastes like, a little) Avery's "The Beast" gran cru, but with ALOT less kick and sweetness.

Drinkability: Don't drink this one fast. It's complex (at least to me) and this would make a nice discussion beer with a friend. It took me a bit to down the entire 22oz bottle, and I definitely caught a nice buzz. I would recommend to share a 22oz with a pal.

Overall: Interesting, VERY different than what I expected from a lager of any kind. Tasty in it's own right but not something I would want to drink more than once or twice a month, if that much. An interesting approach for a lager. I give it 7 out of 10.

keith712, Sep 30, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +21.4%

One I've been looking forward to for a while. I picked up a bomber bottle of this and will definitely be doing so again soon.

Appearance: Transparent deep orangey/amber color. One finger of head that had big bubbles that subsided quickly.

Aroma: I got the herbal hops on first sniff, but much deeper tones of caramel maltiness came on second. Lastly, I get the big boozy heat. Could I get drunk smelling this beer?

Taste: Almost tastes in the exact opposite order as elements of the aroma. The booziness wakes up your mouth right away. Malty caramel (not the best word, but the closest thing I can think of) brings a perfect amount of sweetness that doesn't overwhelm your mouth. Lastly, the herbal qualities kick in during the aftertaste that feel spicy when combined with the residual heat from the booze.

Mouthfeel: Thick, lightly carbonated and sticky. All that being said, it is deceivingly drinkable. Full bodied, but very smooth and easy drinking.

Drinkability: Watch out. Scary how good and well balanced this beer drinks. At 10%, one could wreck one's self rather quickly with this beer.

Overall: The Kaiser is a malty bomb of flavor that is nuanced enough to not be called one note. Yes, the malt is the star here, but how it plays well with the boozy heat and herbal hops create an amazing delicate balance for a beer at 10% ABV.

soze47, Sep 28, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -11.4%

pours clear dark carmel with a 1 finger head that left some spotted lacing

smell is all carmel malt and some booze

tastes of sweet carmel malt and grains some fruit malt flavors mixed with booze

mouthfeel very heavy body with decent carbonation

drinkability is so so -i was unable to drink the entire bomber beacuse of the high abv mixed with the heavy body

jsh420, Sep 25, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +18.9%

A: Amber golden body with a 1/2cm frothy white head.

S: Almost like a decent floral IPA, but with some malts and sweet flavors in the background.

T: Pretty sweet initially but the finish is rounded off pretty well with some malty grains. Fairly strong grains throughout, starts out sweet with caramel and finishes with some oats.

M: Heavy, definitely a sipping beer, but still light enough to fall in the Marzen/Oktoberfest style.

D: Haven't had an imperial Oktoberfest before. As an Oktoberfest, its probably my favorite.

lhaqq, Sep 21, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +7.2%

Finally, an exception to my rule that all Marzen's taste the same, and of course, leave it to Avery to mix it up a bit - nothing like jacking the alcohol up to twice the normal levels to make it a little more interesting. In any case, this basically tasted like a doppelbock to me, big huge caramel toffee malt with a lot of dried fruit flavors and some alcohol swimming around there as well. A bit spicy. Really liked the pretty huge flavor, especially for a lager. Definitely not your standard Marzen, although I'm not sure how many I could put back.

soupyman10, Sep 20, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours a dark copper with a thick, at least two fingers, white head. Great retention. It's not cloudy or even hazy that I could tell, but just dark and thick enough to keep the light out.

Has a flowery smell, with some citrus as well. Maybe some banana peel and pepper hiding in the background.

I don't normally like lagers, but this tasted good. There's a sweet breadiness to it with some sweet fruits in the swallow.

Highly alcoholic and spicy, yet amazingly smooooth in the mouth. It's a full-bodied beer that goes down easy.

Despite the high ABV, this drinks easy with good flavor, begging you to drink another.

RickS95, Sep 20, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

22-ounce brown glass bottle poured into a heavy glass Krug. Alcohol content on label listed as 9.73% ABV.

Pours a clear, vibrant copper hue with a full, creamy head of off-white foam that recedes slowly, leaving behind a thick trail of lacing as the glass drains away.

Rich, sweet malts in the nose, with a little caramel and lightly toasted white bread; nothing suggesting that nearly 10% ABV lingers within.

A light-to-moderate carbonation creates a somewhat heavy mouthfeel, though the body seems in reality to be fairly light -- perhaps medium-bodied, and a little slick. Initially the impression is of a fairly traditional Oktoberfest lager, but then the heavy-handed malt character shows itself, hinting at something more than the typical Märzenbier. As things warm up, alcohol presence becomes more apparent, a little warm and spicy though not overpowering, but combined with the rich maltiness it serves to weigh things down perhaps a little too much. Finishes malty-sweet with a lingering spicy hop-and-alcohol fade.

Served at the more style-appropriate temperature of around 40 degrees, this is a drinkable, fairly complex Oktoberfestbier that does a wonderful job of hiding its weighty imperialized stature, making it a spectacular beer for those able to down it in quantity (though not too much, of course!), but for slower drinking it becomes a bit too much, making one 22-ounce bottle more than enough for one person. Splitting a couple bottles over the course of an evening would likely prove spectacular, though, as this is one mightily pleasant drinker.

superdedooperboy, Sep 20, 2010
1.6/5  rDev -58.7%

A: amber, weak head, no lacing

S: Juicy Juice, fruit roll ups, sauerkraut

T: Juicy Juice, that is literally all I taste, you could carbonate Juicy Juice and have me blind taste these and there would be a 50/50 chance I would pick the right one

M: think carbonated juice

D: way too sweet for my tastebuds. It's no secret that I am not a fan of Avery (see previous posts) and this one, sadly, lives up to the low expectations I have for this brewery

nickhiller, Sep 18, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a copper color and a clear consistency. There was a small amount of foamy head that quickly dissipated. Average lacing.

S: A sharp smell of malt, caramel, and mild spices.

T: Tasted of caramel, malt, sugar, and spices. A generally flavorful beer with a good balance. Surprisingly the ABV% is not that much of a factor.

M: A solid amount of carbonation with a slick finish. Medium-bodied.

D: A well made, drinkable beer.

avalon07, Sep 17, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +7.2%

I look forward to the release of this beer every year. I truly enjoy Oktoberfest beers and this is ranked up there among my top favorites. The Kaiser is brewed with imported German malted barley, noble hops, authentic German lager yeast and cool Rocky Mountain water which are all intensified to bring this beer to 9.73% ABV. This beer pours a copper color with an orange tinge and a small white head that dissipates fairly quickly. Aromas of malt, dried red berries and figs extend out of the glass bringing you classic aromas of Okotberfest marzen styles. Flavors of sweet malts and yeast linger on the palate with some alcohol warming. The finish is smooth and long with malty flavors pulsing the whole way through.

This beer definitely needs to be aged recently I open both the 2009 release and the 2010. The 2009 was tasting just perfectt while the 2010 was a little hot from the high ABV. Give this guy a year and you certainly will not be dissapointed.

WhatsNewinBooze, Sep 16, 2010
1.7/5  rDev -56.1%

Appearance- pours a deep orange to almost amber in color. crystal clear, one finger white head. Looks and poured very nice.

Smell- bready, dark fruits, caramel, butterscotch

Taste- not as much initial flavor as the armoma would suggest. fairly boozy as well.

Mouthfeel- Thick, yet slick... with low carbonation. A ton of alcohol warming as well.

Overall- I am disapointed in this years offering. This is pretty bad, and being jacked up to around 10% you are going to expect some alcohol to be present. But with this I am getting a lingering aftertaste of cheap vodka. The initial flavor is nice, but as soon as I am getting it down, it tastes like what I remember Skol tasting like.

I have been avoiding saying it this whole time, because I remember liking this beer a year ago...THIS IS A BOOZY MESS

I have never done a drain pour, if I buy a beer, I am going to drink it. But the other half of this bomber doesnt stand a chance, what a sad day!

JLeege, Sep 15, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -2.3%

A: The beer is cloudy orange in color and has a medium amount of carbonation. It poured into a stein with a finger high white head that quickly died down into a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface that never quite disappeared.
S: There are aromas of caramel and toasted malts in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and is slightly sweet with flavors of caramel and raisins.
M: It feels medium- to full-bodied on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation. There are some warming sensations from the alcohol.
D: The taste appears share more similarities with barleywines compared to other types of Oktoberfest beers, possibly due to its higher alcohol content. Nonetheless, the alcohol is well masked so it isn't too difficult to drink.

metter98, Sep 09, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +11.9%

appearance: Nice burnished copper.
smell: Malty, bready with some fruitiness and spice. Cranked up this from an initial 4 to a 4.5 as the warming beer yielded some nice new smells.
taste: Wonderfully balanced Marzen. Rich, malty, mild hop profile.
Another great brew from one of my favorite breweries. This one got better and better as it warmed.

cindyjeffsmith, Sep 07, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

A - Rich copper in color with about two fingers of head, exceptional retention and lacing.

S - Big sweet malt aroma, dark fruits, honey, nutmeg, and clove with just a touch of alcohol.

T - Extremely delicious. Sweet caramel malts prevail on this one, with hints of dark fruit and spice along with a mild hop bitterness. High ABV is almost unnoticeable with the little bit of alcohol taste present.

M - Very well rounded, smooth and creamy, pretty much medium all around.

D - I thoroughly enjoyed this brew and will pick up another if given the chance. By far the best oktoberfest I have ever had.

StoneBrewFanatic, Sep 06, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

Pretty damn good, classic Oktoberfest beer, just stronger. Great taste, great name, not much on drinkability but if you want drinkability grab a bud lite (I'd rather drink goat urine). When it comes to Oktoberfests I'm pretty easy to please, i like em malty and sweet with a little bit of a kick and crisp Bavarian hop flavor. This beer is 90% there.

EddieTheTrooper, Sep 02, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +15%

I think it's great that Avery calls their Imperial series the "Dictator" series. It's a nice play on the imperial style. Tonight I've got a bomber of the Kaiser, which bills itself as an Imperial Octoberfest. 22 ounce bomber. Pulled out my dimpled mug for this one. Tradition and all. Pours reddish light amber with a fizzy head made up of small bubbles. Minimal lacing. Smell is of caramel and - can't believe I'm saying this - peach fruit rollups. I haven't had a fruit rollup since I was a kid. Low levels of carbonation present in the mouthfeel of the beer. Lends itself to a slick mouthfeel. The first taste gives you a huge caramel malt body and a gigantically warm alcohol finish. The lazy description would be to call this a malt bomb and wrap it up. That's not fair to the effort these guys clearly put into making this beer. Caramel syrup and toffee malt lends sweetness. Hops aren't at the front as with most styles. I get them more towards the middle of the drink, and they've got kind of a spruce type of flavor to them. Dried peaches and apricots are there too. But they're there only briefly, before more sweetness takes over and blasts you into a warming finish due to the high ABV. It's nice to finally see this beer back on the shelves. To me it's one of the beers I look for to let me know that, hey, despite it being nearly 100 degrees today summer is on the way out. This would be a great beer to enjoy in 50 to 60 degree temperates either outside camping or at your local football team's tailgate. I thoughroughly enjoy this beer, and in many respects it's the complete opposite of their summer seasonal. My only complaint is that it's not out nearly enough.

eclaycamp, Aug 29, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -16.5%

pour is a clear, dark orange with a red tint, a small off white head, and good lacing.

smell is of roasted malt, floral, some hops, molasses, and some spice.

taste is sweet, malt, caramel, tangy in the end, slight bitterness, and some spice, ends smooth and a tad dry.

froghop, Aug 22, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +9%

A: Poured a clear amber brown with good carbonation and a nice white head

S:Rich, malty, booze and caramel

T: Sweet, bread, some caramel and booze. Some toasted notes

M: Nice, coating, warm and slippery

D: Good and one that could be aged for a while too.

barleywinefiend, Aug 21, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

Time for football, FINALLY!!!! Beautiful rich amber with a very slight, almost impercebtible haze. Decent carbonation, and pours about two fingers of head the quickly wraps down into a very small head with little to no lacing. Nose is huge on the pineapple juice. Taste is similar - lots of pineapple juice right upfront, very full mouthfeel - rich and sweet. Some other characteristics - alcohol, some yeast. Finish is long and malty-sweet. $7.69/22oz. bomber though, so it's expensive (and hence the low drinkability (I use price as part of that rating)). Great, rich full beer but pricey and worth it.

SolomonGrundy, Aug 09, 2010