The Kaiser - Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  10.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: maxpower on 08-28-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Kaiser Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a clear pumpkin orange with a thick creamy head. Smells very sweet, almost pumpkinesque, malty and bready. Taste as it smells, strong and sweet, almost syrupy. Not your traditional thin oktoberfest. Full in the mouth. Drinkable but you sip this guy, very tasty and makes you love the fall.

franksnbeans, Sep 30, 2007
3.73/5  rDev -3.6%

22 oz bomber poured into oversized nonic glass.

A - Very typical Oktoberfest look. Medium amber color poured a two inch had that settled in a couple minutes with very nice lacing all the way down

S - Malty is about all I can say because it was so dominate. Very faint herbal and citrus qualities

T - I was really looking forward to this since I love Oktoberfests and anything Imperial. While it was a very good beer, I was expecting more hops to balance the added maltiness and that disappointed a bit. I was expecting a maltier Bobs 47 or a hoppier Spaten and it was neither.

M - The carbonation was excellent and long lasting making for a very smooth beer.

D - It was a nice beer, but at 9 percent I can only do 2 or 3 a night and I'd rather do only one of these and move onto something else.

jtrockchalk, Sep 30, 2007

A - Hazy amber orange with 2 fingers of off white head and small spots of lace.

S - Sweet malt, caramel, biscuit with a touch of hops. It smells like a beefed up Oktoberfest.

T - Very sweet, caramel, raisins, figs. This one is bordering dopplebock in the taste. Toasted grains with a touch of hops and a dry finish.

M - Thick and chewey with at ocuh of alcohol sting. This one drinks like a dopplebock too.

D - Smells like a beefed up oktoberfest but the rest is dopplebock in my opinion. Still very enjoyable if you are not expecting a typical oktoberfest.

brewcrew76, Sep 29, 2007
4.13/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into a glass from a bomber. The beer pours a dark orange, forming a creamy 1 inch tan head. Light lacing all along the glass, and just enough carbonation to keep a thin layer of bubbles on the top after the head fades. The aroma is an interesting mix, mostly of sweet dark fruity notes, but also with a hint of alcohol. The taste is very interesting, starting with a light caramel flavor, transitioning to the dark fruit, and then ending with a light smooth alcoholic finish. Medium smooth mouthfeel. For a beer with such a high abv., this is suprisingly a very drinkable beer. Overall, I am quite impressed with this Oktoberfest, and wish they would have this available year round. I have to say of all the Oktoberfests that I've had this year, this has to be the best! I highly recommend this!

beeragent, Sep 28, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +11.1%

The appearance was nothing special, a fine amber color with a fine head. The aroma was very inviting, with marshmallow, apple, grape/prune, and a nice alcohol base, while somehow still reminding me of an Oktoberfest style beer. In the mouth the alcohol sweetness tends to take over a bit, with maltyness and grape qualities kicking in at various points. This was a full bodied beer that I ended up drinking much quicker than I expected. Very good, has displaced Ayinger as my favorite fest beer.

SammyDavisJrJrJr, Sep 28, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +1.6%

This is my first brew from Avery. I've heard good things about the place but have yet to try any of the brews until this eve...

A - Quite pretty red copper, very clear, vibrant color. Carbonation was consistent for the entire tasting of the 1 pint 6oz bottle. Head is a bright white that laced down the glass. Really a nice beer to look at.

S - The nose wasn't overstated. Grains...lots of them. Hints of scotch whiskey and subtle maple. Slight tinge of some floral hops that were barely detectable.

T - Sweet malts up front with a slight caramel taste. The finish early on did have some slight hop notes that faded as it warmed. Grains again...lots of them. Sourdough bread kept coming to mind. Alcohol comes through more and more as it warms along with an increased sweetness. Later into the bottle it seemed to progressively anesthetize the tongue.

M - Medium body for the style. Coats the back of the throat. Good, long lasting carbonation.

D - Surprised at the drinkablity of this brew relative to the abv number (9.37%). Dangerous.

Overall a surprise I must say. It's a bit over the top and not as balanced as I would like for the style, but hey...that comes with the "Imperial" territory. All in all a great offering in my opinion but not somthing that will ALWAYS be in the coffer.

gwood, Sep 27, 2007
3.2/5  rDev -17.3%

1 pt 6 fl oz brown bottle; served in a becker.
Bottled in 2007.

Clean, pale auburn-copper in color. Foamy, bubble-filled bright white head that clings to the sides. Webbed lacing with impressive strength throughout.

Sweet molasses, weak caramel, and fragrant hazlenut aromas. Floral hops giving an earthy nose with off-fruity esters: tart apple, sour raspberry, and plum.

Sweet molasses-malt base that is not overpowering, but is long-lived. Odd fruit flavors giving this malt monster a tart, uneven taste; raspberry, cherry, plum, and lemon. The finish is slick and unencumbered followed by the lingering sweetness.

Medium to full in body; remarkably smooth for such a big beer, with a lot of slickness.

A hefty Marzen that is overpowered by the annoying fruit flavors. It is possible that some of these off-flavors will recede after a bit of again, which is not a problem at 9.37% abv.

NEhophead, Sep 24, 2007
4.05/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is the shit! Well, I should say I'm a big fan of the Avery's big beers, and this is another one that I can see as being a really good benchmark for me to homebrew, bigger and bolder then the rest of em.

Poured into my St. Feuillien goblet, the appearance is a dark, clear ruby, with a pretty steady, light effervescence. A thin, wispy, off-white skim and collar, leaving very lightly scattered lace. As with the other categories, I'm going to rate this as the Imperial Oktoberfest that it is, not just a regular märzen.

The smell is strong and rich, all sweet caramel and ginger-bread malt. The richness is very alluring, and while it may be a bit thick, it stands up nicely to the crisp nights of this beautiful Indian summer. Still, the alcohol is unmistakable.

Taste is equally similar, heavy on the malt, almost like a barelywine, but with more caramel and not as dry...I've never had so much melanoidin in a beer, and it really helps keeping this from being to sweet. In-spite of the noble hop charge referenced to on the bottle, the strength of the alcohol dominates the finish, although it's quite clean. Again, I'm rating this as an Imperial fest, per the label. I kept searching for reasons to bump it down a half a point, but I couldn't find any. Way less fusels and phenols then, say a quad or other big ale, this was expertly lagered. My first of the style, and it's brilliant!

The mouthfeel is really not to thick for the strength of the brew, especially in light of regular Oktoberfests. Nevertheless, this big ass lager has the sludginess that goes with the territory of pushing 10% ABV.

This is really a pretty drinkable fest brew for being so strong. Its funny b/c I just had people over drinking Spaten's Oktoberfest, and the ameture's all thought it was tasty but stronger then it really is. While I personally have no trouble drinking Spaten's by the boot, ;), Avery's Impy Fest is awfully smooth for being almost double that. Still, I'd probably easier drink 6 Spaten's then 3 of these, as their almost Samichlaus rich...nevertheless, another fine big beer from Avery, brewed with passion!

ccrida, Sep 23, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours with an orange, clear color. Nice head , a little lacing.

Smell is slightly citrusy with a caramel sweetness.

This almost has a sweet orange flavor to it, a nice mixture of mild hoppiness with malty sweetness.

Mouthfeel is thick/medium, some residual sweetness. Good carbonation.

Overall a nice beer to quaff @ 9.3%

shroompod, Sep 23, 2007
3.58/5  rDev -7.5%

A: Pours a deep, clear copper with orange highlights. A finger worth of foam leaves very little lacing behind.

S: Smell was somewhat weak. Hints of a malty sweetness come through with a few hints of fruit throughout, but not much more.

T: After the lackluster smell, the taste certainly came back to impress me. A big sweet caramel malt hits you up front followed by a light bittering brought on by the hops. Sugary sweetness and some apple-like fruitiness add a nice touch to this beer. Alcohol is barely noticeable for a 9.3% ABV.

M: Smooth and solid, decent carbonation and a nice dry finish round this one out. Very pleasant to drink.

D: Despite the high ABV, I could see wanting to session these on a cool crisp October day. It's tasty despite what the smell lets on and finishes really nicely. Well worth a try.

YonderWanderer, Sep 21, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +10.6%

Served chilled and poured into a Weizen glass.

Appearance is good. Deep copper colored and clear brew with a nice clumpy off-white head. Nice amount of lacing in the glass. Carbonation bubbles slowly climbing to the top.

Smell is good. Big sweet malts with a sharp peppery sting. Candy (Belgium?) sugar and a yeasty funk.

Taste is very good. Exactly what you'd think an Imperial Oktoberfest would taste like. Large candy sweet malt bill followed by a sharp bitterness that finishes with a wonderful taste of red apples. Barely any alcohol bite. Very nice.

Mouthfeel is very good. Perfect carbonation. Fluffy and full in the mouth. Finishes crisp and bold yet relatively clean.

Drinkability is good. Finishing this bomber will be easy and I'd welcome another.

Overall:
I didn't know what to make of an "Imperial Oktoberfest" but I came away pleasantly surprised. A big bold lager that is very enjoyable. Highly recommended.

KingG, Sep 20, 2007
3.45/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

The first thing I thought upon drinking my first sip was...In the words of Nigel Tufnel "But this one goes to eleven". Whoa what a robust beer.

The appearance is a beautiful auburn/orange with a nice off-white head and tiny bubble performing anti-gravity tricks.

The beer smelled of malt, and then more malt, with a hint of citrus, and a hint of bread soaked in alcohol.

The taste is Marzen/Oktoberfest on steroids. Strong malt and pretty strong alcohol taste. The alcohol is taste is why I gave the drinkability rating a small hit, and of course the alcohol content is high so I don't think you would want to drink more than one Mas of this at Oktoberfest.

A good beer though, and it served me well tonight as I am sure I will sleep well. Goodnight to all.

HotterThanHell, Sep 18, 2007
3.65/5  rDev -5.7%

Picked this up at Sam's Quik Stop in Durham while on a search for Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin ale. (It was there as well!)

Golden accents highlight the amber tint of the beer. A just off-white head that was a little more than one-finger quickly formed and remained for quite some time before dissipating into nothingness. The aroma is of dark malts with some citrus and spice elements, and there is a distinct sweet bread scent as well.

The flavor is intense indeed. It's apparent the alcohol is high, although 9.37% I would not have guessed. It's truly a marzen, but with more flavor, more creamy a mouthfeel, and a more warming alcohol sensation than one would ever get from a regular octoberfest brew. That's not to say this is intrinsically better; it's just different, with a severe downside being that you really can't drink more than one or two of these (at least I can't).

It's truly a great beer, but I must say I may prefer Oktoberfest beers that allow two, three, or four in a sitting. I will have this again.

CWiggins, Sep 18, 2007
3.83/5  rDev -1%

Serving Type: 1 Pint 6fl oz

Appearance: Pours a light copperish amber w/ a 1 finger head that left minimal lacing

Smell: A sweet smell. Malty and some dark fruit mixed in. First impression fruit wise are banana's and a citrus in the back. a lot malts and you can get a little bit of the warming alcohol on the nose

Taste/mouthfeel: Sweet malty goodness w/ a very slight dryness at the end. The warming alcohol kicks in and quickly replaces any dryness. Nice and crisp but the warming alcohol overpowers the other flavours fairly quickly. If it was a little less "warm" i'd enjoy this a lot more. I also notice a touch of plum near the very end.

Drinkability: It's 9%...warm...and tasty. A very enjoyable beer and I will pick up another

Edit: Changing my review a little after enjoying more and more of this beer. The taste has "grown" on me and find myself enjoying the beer more and more. Although it is still a touch sweet for me....the ONLY thing that I don't care for about this beer is the sweet syrup like taste in my mouth after I drink it. Upgrading my taste to a 4 because I find that it is very enjoyable(a touch sweet) and knocking the mouthfeel down because the syrup taste lingers a touch oddly.

livingregret, Sep 17, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +12.4%

I had a 10oz. draught of this beer at the local Old Chicago-- part of the "Octoberfest Mini Tour."

Upon presentation the beer had a nice, 1" head; never entirely left as I drank. The taste was very malty, true to the Octoberfest style. The higher alcohol content was not apparent at all-- a very drinkable beer. I couldn't believe that the ABV was over 9%-- I would have guessed it at about 7.

Although I'm a fan of hoppy beers, this was a nice change for a style that is always good this time of year!

IPALOVER, Sep 17, 2007
3.25/5  rDev -16%

22 oz. brown bomber poured into a Duvel glass.
2007 edition
Pour a clear copper with a fairly thick white head.
Deep malt aroma with plenty of alcohol. Big full bodied brew with a little too much malt sweetness. Flavors seem muddled to me, a little flabby.
The is some hop bitterness to round it out. Taste like more noble hops than American. This didn't really do a whole lot for me. I like that Avery tries a lot of different things, but I'm not sure every style needs to be Imperialized.
I liked the aroma much better than the flavor.

homebrewhawk, Sep 09, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

I recently reviewed the 2006 version of this beer, but the 2007 is so completely different that I felt another review to be in order. The pour is a beautiful dark gold with a somewhat sparse head which doesn't stick around for very long. Nicely carbonated.
The most prominent aroma is a candy-like malt sugar. No hops or hint of alcohol in the aroma at all. Malt is what this beer is about.
Malt predominates in the taste as well. This is a very sweet beer with only a hint of hop bitterness in the finish. Some bread malt in the flavor as well.
Mouthfeel is fairly full, but not too heavy.
Alcohol is hidden extremely well, making this a very drinkable beer.
A truly malty ubermarzen, one to my liking. If you are looking for some hops you won't find them here, but if malt is your thing, you will love this beer.

kwakwhore, Sep 03, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

22 oz bomber

pours a clear copper color, with a pillowy head that is nearly white and does an excellent job lacing the glass. Good start.

Nose is undoubtedly good, but not what I remember. This is a fresh bottle by the way, bottled very recently. There is some toasted malt here, but moreso I'd call it hot and fruity. In fact my very first impression was "is that banana?!" before it warmed and and more sweet dark fruits come to the forefront. Interesting, and again, alcohol is not hidden.

Tasty, and I though I enjoyed the aroma more fresh I find that I enjoyed my last bottle (8 months old) more in the taste department. Quite drying, and very sweet with fruit and a bit of caramel I didn't detect in the aroma - I stuck the half empty bottle in the fridge to chill a bit more before the second glass, which was more to my liking.

The restrained bitter bite in the finish is quickly overwhelmed by the sting of alcohol, and there is a pronounced warming in the palate, throat, and stomach. Body is pretty full and with the rampant alcohol I find myself sipping quite slowly. On my next bottle I may pour it in even smaller amounts to keep it a bit cooler.
A good effort that I'd enjoy more if it were just a bit less "hot"

udubdawg, Sep 02, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +7.2%

Bottled in 2006

Appearance: It's a nice, clear reddish amber color. Head is a very generous two fingers. Excellent retention and lacing.

Smell: Very interesting. It's got a nice caramel, malty sweet aroma. Some grapefruit and other light citrus scents are present. Alcohol is definitely noticeable. Finally, it has a pretty strong hop aroma. Nice blend.

Taste: This is very good. Nice malty flavor to it. A bit of toasted nut in there. Alcohol is noticeable, but it's smooth for being so strong. Hops are there, but I wouldn't say it's bitter. Just very well balanced.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It leans toward medium bodied. Carbonation is very good. Extremely smooth. It's far too strong to session, but goes down far too easy for a beer this big. Overall, very fine offering from Avery.

prototypic, Aug 29, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a deep amber color. A little white head - to style for an octoberfest - surprised a beer of this alcohol heft can deliver this head.

Wow - intersting nose - all the maltiness of an octoberfest but one hell of an alcohol fire! Hits the palate full force - fire of alcohol at 9%, loads of malt - yes - Octoberfest is in there....so is Avery's over the top kick. What an experiment! If you like high gravity beers, this one is a keeper. I love Octobefest, also love barleywine. This baby hits on both. In some ways, reminds me of Shamischlaus (sp?). A lager that is smooth and full flavored, yet a real butt kicking alcohol bomb.

American micro inginuity at it's finest. I love what this beer does...just don't expect a "normal" octoberfest.

sweethome, Aug 27, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +13.2%

Dennis: This beer is an example of why I like Avery so much as a brewery, they take something that is boring and mundane, and amplify it into something stronger. Every October you get besieged by a glut of Oktoberfests from just about every brewery out there, even Miller and Coors. Instead of just regurgitating another version of that though, they take and put the Avery spin on it, strong malts, and stronger hops designed to hide the increased alcohol behind it. The noble hops elevate this "lager" to a whole new level, very strong but not overpowering. The malt sweetness can be a bit overpowering, especially if you let the glass breathe a bit and warm up. Still for those of us that love large beers this is the beer of choice this fall.
Jen: I generally love Oktoberfests, and this one seems to top the list. It is unique and will stand out in a overcrowded shelf of fall brews. I get a nice malty beginning, followed by hops and ending with an alcohol pow, something you might not expect, but not overwhelmed with either. The mouth feel is a combination of tiny bubbles and a medium body. I look forward to the 2007 and planning on buying extra to cellar.

denjen, Aug 07, 2007
3.6/5  rDev -7%

This bottle was provided as part of a trade from Crosling. I would really like to try it when it is a little fresher, but it's still good. I thought the 9.3% ABV would be sufficient to keep this beer "fresh" enough for about 8 months, and it was, but I would still like to try it again sometime this coming October.

The beer pours to a hazy golden amber color with a plum hue. Carbonation is decent. Head is big, and after a few minutes it recedes to a centimeter, retaining for the rest of the drink. Decent lacing.

The smell is kind of weak. A bit of biscuity and caramel sweet munich and crystal malts. The hops have faded a bit by now. Have to inhale pretty deeply to get anything of it, however.

The taste is better. Rich malt presence, as expected. Tastes exactly like I would expect an "Imperial Oktoberfest" to taste. Lots of biscuity munich malt with a generous helping of caramel malt. Slightly vegetal lager yeast. Has a bit of a lingering bitterness, but any hops flavor it may have once had has faded.

The body is pretty big, but still has that crisp lager fizzy mouthfeel. Not so much clean, however. Lingering bitterness and toasted bread flavor. You can tell the alcohol is there, but it doesn't stand out in the flavor, just a slight burn. Average drinkability that might improve with freshness.

neonbrown82, Jun 01, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +9%

A-I just poured a bottle of the 2006 batch of Avery's Kaiser. This bottle was poured into a pint glass, and has an amber hue(as expected), a foamy off white head that is about 1/4 inch tall, diminish quickly, but leaves the top of the liquid covered with a layer of off white almost tan colored bubbles. With a dense sticky lace that almost coats the glass.

S-Rich well rounded roasted malts(caramel), almost a bread-i-ness or buiscuity scent, along with some flavorful nuttiness. A very well rounded herbal/floral hops, and a slight hint of alcohol.

T- Big caramel and alcohol flavors throughout the body. You can tell that the alcohol is there, but it is not totally dominant. There is a lingering herbal flavor from the hops, but not too bitter. This is really a nice change from what I was expecting, b/c I usually think 'Imperial' means more american hops, but avery stuck with german hops and came out with a great beer that is high in alcohol, but not overly hoppy! Good Job!

M/D- Fairly heavy body for the color of the beer, moderate carbonation, and a lingering smooth alcoholic finish with the caramel carrying over. I think this beer is highly drinkable, and I am extremely happy to be drinking it out of season!

jameaterblues, May 30, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +7.2%

Great 2 finger thick head that sticks around for a while. The smell is of caramel malts and alcohol. Hops are very very faint in the backround.

Taste is smweet caramel malting with an alcoholic finish. Not overbearing. Strong, but balanced. An imperial oktoberfest? Good idea.

Mouthfeel is ncice. The beer clings to the mouth very well and is crisp and refreshing.

This is one sessionable beer, especially for a 9% abv beer. Definetly give it a try.

I gave the taste a 4.25 and the apperance a 4.75 range. I upped the apperance to 5 and downed the taste to 4. It seems right. This beer is great regardless.

jasonjlewis, May 13, 2007
3.63/5  rDev -6.2%

2006, this pumped up marzen is a tad toasted malts and even a drop of smokiness. It is drinkable and fine with food, but a bomber is way too much. I get a lot of carmel offset by hops in the finish. More of less bitter dry aftertaste. Well done, but Maybe 6 oz. is all I want to drink.

Sammy, Apr 29, 2007