The Kaiser - Avery Brewing Company

Colorado, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  10.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: maxpower on 08-28-2004

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Kaiser Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

Outstanding beer, billed as an "Imperial" Oktoberfest. I have no idea what function adding "imperial" before "oktoberfest" provides, but this is really good. A fantastic product for people who don't want excessive hops in beer. The flavors are sweet, malty, with caramel and toffee. The mouthfeel is slightly thick, and your lips will stick together if you don't lick them with enough frequency.

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured a pumpkin orange.

carbonated, some frothy head, sugary sweet apple jacks.

Malt, whiskey, sweetness waifs

southern moonshine warmth, hoppy goodness, sweet malts, purple horseshoes

What a good beer. drink this when you can get it. A great avery interpretation of a german classic. I love the picture on the bottle of the WWI era german general, do some research to see who this is. Avery is a fantasic brewery.

4.12/5  rDev +6.5%

22 oz bottle

A: Clear dark amber under a decent sized head. Some lacing.

S: Nice caramel nose. Really sweet and malty. A little fruity.

T: Sweet maltiness up front with some sweet caramel ends in a decent bitterness that hangs on for a while until it finally gives way to that big malt backbone to stick around the palate until the next swig. Some hints of the 9+% and some warming. Bitterness may be slightly off balance but it doesn't take a lot away.

M/D: Carbonation is just right and body is high medium, but pretty smooth. Drinkability is fine on this one. You aren't going to get away with downing this thing all night though.

2.41/5  rDev -37.7%

A: Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a Bass pint glass. A microscopic amount of head that quickly disappeared. It looks very similar to a glass of tea once the head disappears. Its a clear medium brown color. No lacing at all.

S: Only two things I can smell in this one are malt and alcohol.

T: Very tart taste when it first hits your mouth and it stays until you swallow. The flavor is then replaced with a slight alcohol burn as an aftertaste.

M: It has a very watery consistency that is not that appealing. It has no carbonation in the mouth at all.

D: The alcohol and tartness of this one makes it a definite sipping beer. The taste doesn't lend itself to me wanting to knock it back either.

I was looking forward to trying this one since I had not had a beer from Avery that I did not enjoy up until this point. Personally I rank this one below average for an Oktoberfest. I guess Avery isn't perfect after all. Good thing they have so many fantastic brews to drink instead of this one.

4.02/5  rDev +3.9%

12 oz pour on tap at Spuyten Duyvil

Poured slightly hazy copper with a 1 finger white foam head. Nice moderate lacing.

Nose is of sweet bready malts mixed with grassy earth tones, to my surprise this beer has a bit of funk to it, not a huge ammount but the grass and earth can be pungent at times.

Bready malts, a bit of sweetness with earthy and grassy tones, with a nice dry finish

Medium bodied with a nice prickly carbonation on the tip of the toungue.

Not a beer I could drink all the time, especially with it's abv creeping toward 10. But a really interesting brew that I wouldn't mind having a glass of again sometime in the future

3.33/5  rDev -14%

Had this at Z Cucina with Adam Avery. It was an amazing evening of pairing delicious food with two amazing beers at each course. Absolutely amazing evening.

Pours a sparkling reddish, copper color with an off white head that lingers for a bit, and leaves little lacing. Smell is very fruity, sweet, malty, and some strong alcohol presence. Taste begins with a very sweet, melon, almost malty taste. A lot of esters linger in the mouthfeeling that is watery, and syrupy too. Not my favorite oktoberfest, but a good drink.

4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

A - Poured out an amber/burgandy color with a tan, soapy, two-finger head. It left some lace.

S - It smelled of tons of malt and mild hops. There's a dried fruit aroma.

T - It tasted of sweet malt. There is an earthy/grassy flavor. It also had a dried fruit taste.

M - It was soft and smooth. A heavy-bodied beer, almost like a barley wine.

D - This is a very good oktoberfest. In fact, one of the best I've had.

3.43/5  rDev -11.4%

Got this at the local tavern.

A: Pours a dark, orange-amber body with a frothy, white head. The head has pretty solid retention until the finish.

S: Smells a of sweet malts with subtle hoppy undertones.

T: A slightly malty taste, which was not what I was expecting based on the smell of the beer. The alcohol was present in the taste as well with slight, hop hints that did not seem to go that weel with the malts, but were subtle enough ot not really factor that much.

M: A solid, mouthfeel. Nice and smooth.

D: Ok drinkability overall. A good Imperial beer, but the balance between the hops and malts was lost for me. I felt that, altough the hops were subtle, mixing with the evident alcohol as well as the sweet malts did not seem to work that well. Stilla decent brew overall.

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

Avery- The Kaiser

Bottles available at Isaac Newton's- Newtown, PA

A- Golden orange with a small soapy head.
S- Sweet fruity malt with a touch of pumpkin spice and alc.
T- Fruity (cherry, grape) malt with hints of pumpkin spice, cinnimon, and plenty of alc.
M- Sweet and dry with a slight boozy alcohol body. Finishes off warm.

Overall- A decent offering here. Nothing spectacular, does hide the alc for a 9%+ beer. On tap I'd get a pint, probably wouldn't buy a bottle of it again.

4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

I had this on tap at the Autumn Brew Review in Minneapolis, MN. I have also had it bottled. If every Oktoberfest tasted like this I would look forward to the end of summer. A golden amber pour with a pale head. Sweet smelling. Smooth and slightly syrupy.

3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Deep orange, clear, good head and lacing

Pumpkiny aroma with a bit of alcohol.

Tastes a lot like a Belgian; just a little lighter. There's some grape in there and the alcohol is well hidden.

The mouthfeel is too sticky, really, but as thi an 'imperial O'fest, who's to say?

Treated like a Belgian, this is very drinkable and inexpensive. For an oktoberfet, though... Regardless, I sipped this from a wine glass (only clear, clean glass found at the cabin I was vacationing in) on the porch and liked it a lot.

3.63/5  rDev -6.2%

Live reviewed from Collins Pub in Seattle, WA.

Tap handle simply said "Imperial Oktoberfest" on an Avery logo, so I can only presume it's the Kaiser. Served up in a medium flared goblet with 1/2" of good, dark-creme head. Body is moderately dark and very orange. Crystal clear.

Smell is malty as heck and has hints of vinegar. Mashed fruit undertones, not sweet at all. Grapefruits and whole-wheat bread.

Taste is wickedly tart and fairly hoppy. Sour fruit dominates along with darkly toasted malt. Black cherry and champagne.

Paired with a salad with a very spicy vinegarette, the tart flavour tones down and a caramely malt surges forth. Yeast takes on an almost Belgian cast rather than German.

Mouthfeel is good, clean for a 9. Carbonation is sufficient, but not exciting.

I haven't had many strong Marzens before, but this one seems to be a bit sour for my taste. Will have to try a few more before I can recommend for or against.

4.43/5  rDev +14.5%

What a pleasant surprise. Snagged this one at Plan B in Simsbury, CT today.

Poured into a pint glass with about a 1/2" inch head which hung on for awhile. Sheet lacing throughout the drink. A very pleasing auburn, medium copper color; definitely makes you feel a New England Autumn.

Vinous aroma with some raisin and fig presence. Malt and bread dominate.

Taste is VERY complex, so many flavors attack the tongue; dark fruit, malt and bread. Elevated ABV is very present at the front, but it doesn't overwhelm. MALT, MALT everywhere; with definite sweetness, but does not exhibit cloying qualities. As much as I tried, I could not detect any hops, but the hops must be there to provide some balance to the sweet malt.

Carbonation was "small" and provided for a very good & smooth mouthfeel.

The elevated ABV doesn't allow for too many of these, but you could always get a designated driver to cart you home.

An outstanding Imperial version of the style.

If you like malt, run don't walk to Plan B in Simsbury before this one kicks Not cheap at $7 per pint, but worth it, IMO.

Steve

4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

A- Pours a clear, copper orange hue with a off-white creamy head that is mostly sustaining, thick lacing sticks on the glass
S- Aroma is dominated by sweet, rich malts and dark fruit, some interesting strawberries and apples come push their way forward, hints of citrus
T- Initial taste is rich and fruity like a thinned out barleywine with plenty of sweet brown sugar and spices, finishes with a medium alcohol warming
M- Medium/full bodied ale, watery texture that coats the tongue, lively carbonation
D- This is one stiff, malty Marzen ale in the vein of Avery's big imperial style ales, and is definitely optimal in lower quantities, the fruity profile is unique without being awkward or cloying but is a huge departure from classic offerings in this genre, I liked this plenty but am on the fence if I would buy this again in the future

3.3/5  rDev -14.7%

Appearance – This actually looks like a real German Oktoberfest. It is a bright brown in color and clear with a modest head.

Smell – The German Oktoberfest malts are very raw and gooey here, again reflective of the style. There's a tinge of booze that caused me to step back at first, but mostly this smells like a good German festbier.

Taste – Oh, man, this is wicked. It may look and smell like an Oktoberfest but it tastes like a bottle of liquor. The malts are drowned out by the cheap alcohol, and the lack of complexity that I enjoyed at the smell has become a tactless abhorrence at the taste.

Mouthfeel – This is actually light-bodied with no bittering or pungent flavors, so in this sense it nails the style. That booze though just won't go away. It's not stinging, but it is in fact quite overpowering.

Drinkability – I felt like a wino drinking this bottle. I think at one point in the brewing process it likely held some potential, but the insistent Avery tradition of making every beer too big for its britches really hurt this effort more so than most.

3.65/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours out like ice tea with one finger of white suds. Lacing on the glass.
Smell is Caramel alcohol and spices with a raisin fig fruitness.
Taste is strong sugar with just a hint of spice. The alcohol is very strong here. Not necessarily a bad thing either.
Mouthfeel is a bit oily and has the warming effect on the back of the throat all the way down to the stomach and beyond.
I drank the whole growler not knowing how much alcohol was in there. Wouldn't reccomend that too often.,

3.23/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured into a stein. A huge white head that lingered was atop a light copper liquid. The aroma was all malt and no hops. Almost sickeningly sweet aroma. Tast was average, too malty for me. The body is medium and carbonation is good. Colder is better.

4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

22oz bomber purchased at Bottleworks in Seattle for $6.99. My brother ordered this at Uber, and I had a sip and was very impressed. I had thought I'd picked this up the day before, but when I was moving cargo around in my car as a prepped for the journey back to Spokane I discovered I hadn't. Therefore, I hit Bottleworks on my way home to pick this up.

The bottle features the smiling face of Kaiser Wilhelm II, complete with spiked Prussian helmet and uber-waxed 'stache, on a background that lookes like a silver version of the old Imperial German Navy ensign.The label states it was bottled in 2007.

This was poured into a SA BL glass and exhibited a copper color, with a couple inches of off-white foam. Lots of lace.

This was fairly malty smelling, with the malt showing off a sweet, fruity scent. I got strawberries (a first for me with beer) and apples. A little of the alcohol strength comes through as well.

The taste starts off as a fruity smack to the palate. It's backed up by a boozy flavor. Doesn't quite finish as cleanly as a traditional O-fest would, but that's probably an impossible achievement considering the variations from the style in this beer.

This has a malty, medium body. Slick, slightly sticky mouthfeel.

A cool variation on the style. Best appreciated if it's understood this is not a traditonal O-fest. This is dangerously drinkable, as it goes down super easy for it's strength. Probably not a good session beer, but it makes a tasty after dinner sipper.

3.36/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I didn't really know what to expect from an imperial octoberfest, but as I poured this beer I became excited. I really like this beer's appearance. It has a lovely reddish amber color. Clear with a slightly amber creamy head.

After pouring I took a whiff. To be perfectly honest I didn't really get much out of the smell. A little bit of strawberris and maybe some apple. The amount of alcohol that I smelled told me that this was going to be a strong one.

The first taste was surprising. I guess I should have taken the 'Imperial' part more seriously, but the strength of this beer was a bit of a shock. I felt like I was tasting a barley wine. This is not a beer to be gulped. It is sweet and alcoholic. There is some maltiness in there, but not as much as I would expect out of an octoberfest.

I'm not a huge fan of this beer. Its pretty well executed, maybe I'm just not a fan of the style. Don't get me wrong. I like a strong beer. But, given the way this beer tastes, I would rather just drink a good barley wine.

3.7/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the Liar's club, I was extremely excited for this seasonal Avery offering. I'm a little biased because I generally think Avery can do no wrong...

A reddish copper, with great clarity and a nice little head that didn't really stick around for long. The smell immediately hit me as apples, extremely sweet aroma with hints of citrus. Immediately upon taking my first sip my thoughts were a spiced apple cider. I don't know why I get so much apple out of this but my buddy agreed. It was quite a bit more bubbly in mouthfeel than I expected, but was soft at the same time. Kind of syrupy, and lingers for awhile. My main reaction was that this is a beer unlike any I've ever tried before. It is completely original, especially for the style. It's a little too cloying, and not malty enough for me as far as it's style and expectation but I thoroughly enjoyed something different for a change. I wouldn't want more than one ten ounce glass in a sitting, but I would most definitely go back to this fun oktober seasonal.

3.16/5  rDev -18.3%

2007 bottle poured up into a weizen glass. Beautiful iron color with bubbles racing to the surface. Smells malty, thick, sweet, nice with a little funky stank. The taste is definitely shocking, bready, sweet, thick stuff. The carbonation tells me I must drink slowly! Remember the 2000 election….hard to swallow bitch. This was so damn low on drinkability I could not finish the bottle.

3.11/5  rDev -19.6%

Very clear copper colored beer a tall tan colored head; it would be hard to make it look better in the glass.

The smell is extremely fruity. Smells like a yeast fermented hotter than it would really like. Sweet and malty but this is a strongly ester laced beer.

The taste begins malty and sweet with a strange melon flavor, never tasted melon in an Oktoberfest before! Still sweet but the malt kicks in a bit more and the melon taste becomes less. Still massive amounts of fruity esters in the taste and this reminds me more of Malt Liquor more than anything else. Hides the alcohol punch well but really needs more hops for balancing.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Just what the world needs an Oktoberfest Malt Liquor! Drinkable? Uh not really. Out of balance but not so much as "The Beast" is. Micro-brew Oktoberfest hooch yes, drinkable NO!

3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

22 oz. bomber, with an imposing picture of Kaiser Wilhelm on the cover,

A: Pours a bright, amber, orange, the thick white head lasted all the way through the 10th to 13th innings of the Rockies-Padres game, while I drank it, so very good retention, spotty lacing, the the quality of the head bumps it up to 4.5.

S: Very malty, caramel and toffee abound, has a sour quality to it, almost like a mixture of sauerkraut and pumpkin, with a mix of sweet orange oil, fragant, but very strange.

T: The immensity of the malts hit you first, there are some hops in there, but they are light and you really only notice them at the beginning of the brew before the phenolic and alcoholic character of the brew comes into effect, very sweet, can be cloying at times, but this is not much of a bother to me.

M: Thick and syrupy, phenolic, a bit of medicinal character to it as well, very sweet with a lot of residual sugar, with a bit of an alcohol burn, what I would expect from something described as an Imperial Oktoberfest.

D: Lower than its 5-6% brethen, this is a high quality strong lager beer that demands respect, it is a sipper, and a great fall seasonal, definitely something different this fall, first time I've ever found it, and I'm glad I did.

3.64/5  rDev -5.9%

Enjoyed at Capital Ale House Innsbrook for Beer Geek Week '07

Vintage 2006

A: About a finger of white head formed atop a sea of deep amber, some lacing with sub-par retention, but the aging and serving style could be to blame.

S: A plethora of maltiness in the bouquet, with a good hop backbone that smelled floral and inviting.

T: Big array of malt noticeable on the tongue and a slightly mellowed, but bitter hop presence toward the finish. Tasty enough Marzen, with the balance being rather enjoyable.

M: Lots of carbonation, bubbling across the palate, with a big body and creamy mouthfeel. Slightly oily from the hops.

D: An interesting and enjoyable fall seasonal, especially after a year of laying down, but not something that's overly impressive. I thought the balance was nice, with enough hops to add a note of bitterness, but it just wasn't stand-out to me. Still, worth a try in my opinion.

4.23/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours a clear pumpkin orange with a thick creamy head. Smells very sweet, almost pumpkinesque, malty and bready. Taste as it smells, strong and sweet, almost syrupy. Not your traditional thin oktoberfest. Full in the mouth. Drinkable but you sip this guy, very tasty and makes you love the fall.

The Kaiser from Avery Brewing Company