Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

The Reverend - Avery Brewing Company

Hop Variety: Sterling
Malt Variety: Two-row barley, Aromatic malt, Cara-45, Cara-20, Special B
Sugars: Belgian Candy Sugar
OG: 1.085 ABV: 10.0% IBUs: 24 Color: Tawny
The Reverend, was created in tribute to the life of our friend Tom Boogaard’s grandfather, an ordained Episcopal Reverend. Tom was inspired by the life of his grandfather and wanted to create a tribute beer that contained his sterling traits. True to the spirit and character of the departed Reverend, this beer is strong willed, assertive, and pure of heart.

Our brewers included as many authentic imported Belgian specialty malts as they could, making this the perfect beer for folks who love malty beers and are ready to take the next step. A divinely complex and beautifully layered beer with hints of dark cherries, currants, and molasses, complimented by an underlying spiciness. Sinfully smooth considering the high alcohol content.

The Reverend is the second installment of “The Holy Trinity of Ales” series.

Food pairing: Try The Reverend with a gyro or paired with our favorite: steamed spicy saffron mussels.
Reviews: 803 | Hads: 1,731
Reviews by TeeCee:
3.55/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Quick review - strangely sweet quad. The right beer for someone else, perhaps.

Color - in the dim light of the evening, holding it up to a lamp, this beer appears to be a deep honey. The beer started of with 1"+ of head that quickly dissipated. No signs of nucleation but it readily rebuilds head with a swirl. The head is very light and doesn't leave much behind.

Smell - something rich and malty. I may even be able to smell some alcohol heat in there. I can't say that I smell anything flowery or piney, but I had a few Harpoon Leviathan Imperial IPA's earlier so that's probably not helping. There's a sweetness maybe like overripe fruit. I can't place it.

Taste - the malty sweetness I was smelling comes through and there's some offsetting bitterness trying to keep it in check. The malty sweetness is a bit different than expected. Or maybe it's the offsetting bitterness. Or maybe there's some sourness in it. Maybe it's been too long since I've had a quad, the last I recall was Urthel about 2 years ago, but this beer has something I haven't had in a while. Also, I could be wrong, and I usually don't usually notice it, but I think I taste the alcohol coming through.

Mouthfeel - I would call this thickish. Not too thick, but thickish.

Sessioning - not in the summer heat I was in today. Overall, I'm not huge on the flavor so it's not very sessionable to me, but someone that loved this beer could lightly session it on a cool day.

Closing notes - I rated this beer as I did because I don't consider it poorly made or anything. It's not my type, but it seems rather unique. If it's not exactly a Belgian Quad, well it's not exactly made in Belgium. It's an American craft ale from an American craft brewery with a lot going on. For that, I couldn't rate it very high, but I wouldn't discount it either.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

Look: Deep amber with a minimal vanilla head that barely lines the glass. Lots of legs.

Smell: Dark candied cherries, toffee, brown sugar, currants, dark grapes, plums, dates, and white grapes. Smells sticky and sweet.

Taste: Brown sugar covered raisins hit the tongue, followed by dark cherries, big date notes, toffee, currants, very mild cinnamon, molasses, and every couple of sips I get a big moscato/white grape note that lingers on the tongue.

Mouthfeel: At first it's sticky and then but the bodies up really fast to a thick body that completely covers the mouth. Goes down sticky with a hint of booze on the finish that warms the back of the throat. Finish is sticky and dry that let's the date notes linger on the tongue.

Overall: This definitely covers more of the toffee/Belgian sugar side of the style then the raisin/dark fruit of most quads. It's kind of like a quad style barleywine. It's good but nothing mind blowing

3.89/5  rDev +1.3%

Side poured with standard vigor into a Chimay goblet. Picked this up mostly because the label looked cool and I wanted a different beer. I had never seen this before either, so it was interesting.

Appearance - Pours a beautiful deep maroon/crimson color with an off white, two finger head that leaves pretty good lacing and displays moderately good retention. I love the packaging, love the label and the concept of the Holy Trinity Series.

Smell - Dark fruits, mahogany, spiciness, sweetness, and almost a hint of tobacco. Although not an overwhelming nose, very good

Taste - The sweetness of the dark fruits are very obvious, as is the maltiness and the caramel background. Malts are a big boy in this drink, if you don't like malt I would stay away.

Mouthfeel - Finishes smooth, big and rich, Nice warming sensation from the alcohol. Although you don't get a big bite from the booze, you know it is there pretty quick given the ABV.

Overall - This is a very good example of the Quad style. While it is not my favorite, it is a good one indeed. If you like Quads, malts, or just good beer, this is a good one to get ahold of.

I love Avery and this is a mighty fine, and remarkably smooth, Belgian-style quad. Actually, calling it Belgian-style is almost unfair - they imported Belgian hops, yeast, and I think some of the malts too for this lovely homage. I revere the Reverend, with its hints of oak and smoke, some nice cherry notes on the back end, and a good mix of spices where none shout out at you, but taste lovely in harmony with each other. This quad won't blow anyone's mind, but for Avery fans, and anyone who wants a strong, yet mild quad, this is worth a bottle.

3.9/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured a deep copper color with a small creamy-like head,complex aromas at first I picked up some orange rind and a little butter and the alcohol makes it presence known in there as well.pretty straight forward flavors sweet dark fruit with a touch of spicey/yeastiness,the alcohol really warms late.First time trying this Avery big brew solid but there are better ones out there of the style,thanks to hoppedup for sharing his bottle.

3.35/5  rDev -12.8%

Appearance – Florescent red in color with a mild head that went down quickly. This looks like liquid, radioactive sugar water.

Smell – Very sweet and fruit juicy with strong alcohol notes. There’s a malt base in there and some traditional Belgian spices, but this one is all about the alcohol and fruit juice, mostly cherry, orange, cranberry, and apple.

Taste – The malt comes out bigger in the taste, but the cherry, orange, and cranapple flavors are still out in force. The alcohol is HUGE in this one. It tastes like straight vodka.

Mouthfeel – I hate to sound redundant, but this feels like fruit juice passing through your mouth. Heavily-spiked fruit juice, I may add.

Drinkability – I thought that this one was a little unbalanced and went down rather clumsily.

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

3.97/5  rDev +3.4%

A - Dark light amber color, extremely hazy, moderate head that faded to a lacing pretty quickly. Moderate to low carbonation.

S - Lots of sweet malt, some caramel and that is about it. Lacks phenols or spiciness I expect in a Belgian beer of this style.

T - Things start to get better at this point.Very rich malt backbone with a good deal of caramel sweetness. The phenols do some through although in extreme moderation, would like some more. End with a nice alcohol bite, but nothing offensive or jet fuel like.

M - Thick and rich, lots of body, coats your mouth which helps balance out the high alcohol content.

D - This is a big beer with a lot of malt flavor, would have liked a little more than just malt, some more penols, some spice, some more flavor from the yeast. It is good, but just a bit flat.

Edit: Wow...can't believe I am doing this...but bumping a few categories up .5. I let this warm up to about 55 degrees and it came alive.

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

2.5/5  rDev -34.9%

3.43/5  rDev -10.7%

This beer reminded me most of a barleywine, as it seemed to share a lot of the same qualities. Its pretty much the same color, maybe a slight shade lighter. Very malty sweet nose. I taste barleywine all over this beer. I'm not even sure how I'd differentiate between the two. I drank this with dinner in the hot July Maryland summer, and it was not very refreshing

3.2/5  rDev -16.7%

The reverend is apparently known for inspiring thoughts of the divine. I think it is a decent beer, and in the large bottle size, it is an easy one to get twisted on, but there are some drawbacks.

Sweetness - perhaps too sweet. A bit cream-sicle, maybe, but it still tastes like that Belgian quad. The dark coloration and creaminess are major benefits, but too much is truly too much with this beer, even when we're talking 10 flat abv. It could be easier to drink, and I don't like fighting sweetness; that feels less manly.

4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

22oz bomber poured into a tulip glass. Very pretty beer: gold, thick white head, nice lacing, well-carbonated. The aroma of a lollypop. Big taste. Fruit, candy, malt, alcohol, yeast. A well-constructed beer, fun to drink. The 10% ABV makes it a beer to savor.

4.08/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured a nice dark clear brown into my chalice.
Head retains well and settles nicely.
Nice aroma. A very pleasant sweet smell .
Taste is sweet, malt, spice, smooth, tasty.
A nice representation of the style that masks the 10% ABV well.
A very drinkable sipping beer.

3.98/5  rDev +3.6%

3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

I really feel like I got this in Beer Powerball and despite my excellent notes, I don't see this brew listed with anyone. Perhaps it was a late entry? Anyway, whereever I managed to procure this beer I really appreciate it. Thanks!

Looks good, nice amber color, small head. Has a decent yeasty odor and a sugary scent. Taste is nice, not too bold, not too weak. Delicious drinkable brew, would buy again.

4.2/5  rDev +9.4%

On tap over at the Drafting Room in Springhouse, yay! Great brandy color with good amount of carbination and light on the head. Yummy scent of sherry and dark fruit. Lacing in the glass. Great barleywine style here. This is just so freaking good!! Tastes of dark cherries, sherry, and you can taste the alcohol in it- which I do love. The taste changes so much from when you first taste it when it is chilled, to when you let it warm a bit, to the point where it comes to room temperature... well, if you can wait that long! There were some huge chunks of scrod inside the glass from it, but hey, that is the risk we all gotta take here and there! Was not allowed to take any of this away in one of their growlers, rules against it said this was the only one on tap that was a no-go at the time. Big Sigh. But if it was allowed, I think me and drinking buddy would have drained the keg. Next trip back, the handle was gone. This is one I could definately have more than a few of in a sitting, not too heavy/thick, not too sweet, just so good.... yummmm....

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

4.15/5  rDev +8.1%

1 pint, 6 oz bomber, as shown in the image here. Pours a clear brass colored amber with a small light tan head that fades quickly to circled lacing. Nose is of dark fruity sweet malts and alcohol, but molasses dominates. Mouthfeel is creamy, good carbonation, and pleasant to the palate. The very small head that remains is here to stay. The Belgian candy sugar, advertised on the label, is certainly present in the taste, but is balanced by the Goldings hops quite well here. The high abv, surprisingly, is well disguised by the complex ingredients. Very impressive taste, though a bit heavy. This is a very likeable ale that is very Belgian in nature.

4.3/5  rDev +12%

On tap at the BT NYC. Almond in color and clear. Tiny bubble head, nice lace left behing. Full bodied, Malty sweatness, alcohol noted and warming. Spicy Belgian yeast present. Another very big and bold, complex Belgian style brew. Alot of flavor and character packed into this offering. Not for the faint of heart, will be loved by some including me

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%