The Reverend - Avery Brewing Company

Hop Variety: Sterling
Malt Variety: Two-row barley, Aromatic malt, Cara-45, Cara-20, Special B
Sugars: Belgian Candy Sugar
OG: 1.085 ABV: 10.0% IBUs: 24 Color: Tawny
The Reverend, was created in tribute to the life of our friend Tom Boogaard’s grandfather, an ordained Episcopal Reverend. Tom was inspired by the life of his grandfather and wanted to create a tribute beer that contained his sterling traits. True to the spirit and character of the departed Reverend, this beer is strong willed, assertive, and pure of heart.

Our brewers included as many authentic imported Belgian specialty malts as they could, making this the perfect beer for folks who love malty beers and are ready to take the next step. A divinely complex and beautifully layered beer with hints of dark cherries, currants, and molasses, complimented by an underlying spiciness. Sinfully smooth considering the high alcohol content.

The Reverend is the second installment of “The Holy Trinity of Ales” series.

Food pairing: Try The Reverend with a gyro or paired with our favorite: steamed spicy saffron mussels.
Reviews: 806 | Hads: 1,744
4.97/5  rDev +29.4%

My first quadrupel. Pours a light amber with a decent white head. The aroma of malt so sweet you can taste it bannana, citrus. tastes of sweet caramel malt and fruit with a decent hop balace. You can taste the power of the alcohol, but not too overpowering. Peaches,bannanas. I already need another. These could be addictive.

4.95/5  rDev +28.9%

I've never had a quad before, so I'll try to rate it as best I can without having much to compare it to.
Pour produced an impressive light tan head. I'm not sure how this is possible for such a high alcohol content, but it lingered for a very long time and left some of the most impressive lacing I've ever seen. Doesn't make any sense, but I swear that's what happened. I didn't even chill the glass either.
Colour is a light, transparent mahongany with a great deal of large sediment clumps floating around throughout. Not enough to cloud the beverage, though.
The smell is very yeasty, very much of apricot and quite sweet.
Taste is more of the same. Very Belgian. The yeast taste is very strong. Rotting apricot is the dominant flavour. There's good maltiness and some mild alcohol flavour to fill it out, but that's really all it is; filler. The yeasty, rotting apricot flavour dominates. I'm glad to see no hop bitterness is noticeable, but I was hoping for some more alcohol burn in such a strong, sweet brew. It's very well hidden, not so much among complexity as just behind the sweet, yeasty fruit flavour. I can certainly feel the alcohol's affect. I almost didn't rewrite this review after my first one was deleted because Beer Advocate made me log back in. Why the hell it forcibly logged me out to begin with, I can't imagine. I logged in under an hour ago and haven't left the effing page. But let's not let my frustration ruin a perfectly good review. I am surprised by how much I enjoyed this brew considering how dominant a part the strong Belgian yeast flavour played a part. I'm not usually a fan of such styles, but this was just fine. It makes me want to perhaps try another quad one day and not give up on Belgian beers as some other examples have made me want to do. If an anti-yeast-flavour drinker such as myself can enjoy this, it must be good. I suggest giving it a try.

After having my second one of these, I think even more highly of it. It's the cheapest quad I've come across and still the best so far. The flavour is so complex, and very conservative on hop use, allowing me to really pick up on the whole range of the palate. This is possibly the best beer I've ever had. So, possibly also the best for the money since it's almost affordable for a quad. Some of the better budget beers can still compete, though, since they're SO cheap. But this is definitely up there in the top 5 best beers for the money. It's amazingly delicious. I didn't think I was into yeasty beers and this little gem proved me wrong.

4.94/5  rDev +28.6%

I've been drinking this beer for a solid 6 months now, so it is time for a review. This beer has so many layers and is so complex, it is pretty amazing. Other reviewers give this one a heavy alcohol smell, but I can't detect it and my wife who is VERY sensitive says no to the heaviness after she saw some of these reviews as well. This weekend we picked up a few other popular American quads and still the Reverend comes out on top. The complexity of this beer is mind blowing, there is really nothing like it I've ever had. It pours OK, I gave it a 4 out of 5. This quad goes down so smooth, but it isn't heavy like a typical Belgian quad. It does have the "this beer will Fu@k you up" if you drink it fast though. Be warned. I REALLY wish Avery would 4 or 6 pack this one, $7 bombers are getting expensive so this limits us to a Reverend a week.

4.89/5  rDev +27.3%

My first impressision of the beer was an incredible sweetness followed by the nice yeast flavor and the spicy- like cloves- undertones. The yeast does not overpower the flavor by any means. Finishes slightly bitter. I thought the carbonation was very good; not as bubbly as I would have expected, and it gave the mouthfeel a heavier body. Not a lot of head (perhaps I poured it well) but still nice lace rings on the glass after each sip (gulp).

I've had many Belgian ales where the cabonation was popping on the tongue, and while I still appreciate that, this one didn't do it, and it was a very pleasant change. Likewise with bold, up front, yeasts in many other Belgian styles.

If you can rank beer by the number of times I said "Omigod!" during its disappearance, then this is a ten.

4.87/5  rDev +26.8%

Sampled on 6-22-07

Pours a very cool red/orange into a Duvel tulip, with a nice off-white head that clings to the sides of the glass.

Smell is phenomenal. Tons and tons of fruit aromas. Raisin, peach, apple, sweet and sour with a good Belgian kick. Brutally complex.

Taste is sweet at first, with lots of the fruit flavors described above. Then it takes a deeper, darker turn with caramel malt flavors and a smooth alcohol warming.

Mouthfeel is great, the carbonation hits in all the right places.

Drinkability is astounding, given 10%. Watch out.

Overall, an unbelievable beer. Never-ending complexity makes each sip unique and enjoyable. Highly recommended.

4.85/5  rDev +26.3%

Served in a Wiezen glass:

Appearance: This beer poured orange/red copper tone with a slightly off white head that rapidly disapated,leaveing a thin trail of lacing behind.

Smell: Belgian malts,sweet candied fruits, and an alcohol aroma that doesn't suggest it is a small beer.Has that lambic-kreik scent to this one.

Taste: Begian malts and a citrusy hop profile can be detected.The alcohol definitley lets itself be known,along with that lambic-kreik flavor. Has a Belgian sugary woods effect to me.Meaning,Im getting a touch of nut and pines all rolled into a sugary bliss.Mmmm...

Mouthfeel: On the tongue I sense a silky,smooth and yet a little grainy/bubbley substance thats just trickles down with ease.Leaving with a vapor of alcohol thats says " forget me not"...Yea, im drunk so what!

Drinkability: Well,due to the high abv. I dont think I could put a few of these away but a most definitely great night cap.And of course a must buy,must drink,must savor...

4.84/5  rDev +26%

Up close it looks dark yet see through amber-highlighted dark copper. black cherry cola??
head rises high but fades almost imediately to foamy islands.

The aroma is quite sweet with ripe dark fruits candied sugar and clove.

Complex yet balanced flavor. A touch more sweet than spice. candied sugar and ripened bananas as well as other fruits lead the parade but are kept from getting to cloying by spice. some alcohol is also noticable on the follow though.

Slick and a notch less than syrupy. body is medium full and although ample carbonation is present, when compared to Belgian versions, one may call this under-carbonated.

I have yet to be dissapointed by Avery's big bomber lineup -add yet another winner. @ 7 bucks for 22 ounces for a delicious quad, this one is a no-brainer.

4.81/5  rDev +25.3%

22oz served into a duvel tulip

pours a dark mahogany brown with a frothy 2 finger head.

smell of clove, toasted malts, spices, candy, and belgian yeast. probably one of the only beers id rate the smell a 5

taste is superb. starts with dark fruits and sweet bread, round out to spices, and finishes with the slightest hop flavor

this beer beer masks the 10% abv well. goes down better than almost any quad ive had. truly the best american made quad ive ever had

4.79/5  rDev +24.7%

Das ist ein gutes bier! I'm still sipping on it, and it's a pleasure. I don't typically get too impressed with Belgian style ales, but this is great stuff. This is my third try at an Avery brewed beer, and I'm impressed with this brewery. Anyhow, here's how I feel about "The Reverend."

Pours with lots of CO2, but doesn't retain much head. The body is almost clear dark golden amber in color and the head lasts for about 3 to 4 minutes, but eventually it totally loses all cranium.

Easily I could smell this ale as I poured it into my glass from the 23oz bomber. This has a quite floral fragrance from the ale yeast, and I can actually detect the presence of the higher content of alcohol.

To taste this is nothing like I've had in a long time. I've had real Belgian ale before when I lived in Germany, and this seems to be a genuine Belgian style product. Rich and full, it tastes about like it smells.

The alcohol content is initially perceivable, but as I'm about two thirds finished with my "sample", I don't feel the alcohol too much anymore. This is a bit thick in body.

Overall with the kick of flavor, fragrance, moderately thick body, and alcohol content, this is a nice reward to a long day at work.

4.76/5  rDev +24%

A - Pours a rich and unfiltered dark mahogany honey gold. Forms a half finger of quickly dissipating, slightly off wheat head. Little lacing left on glass.
S - Sweet alcoholic black cooked cherries, figs and plums, hops and notes of warm alcohol. T - Incredible. Sweet alcoholic black cherries, slightly bitter grape wine notes. Malts, slight tinge of warm caramel and a nice bubbly smooth mouthfeel. Surprisingly, no trace alcohol in the taste.
O - A damned fine and outstanding Belgian quad. One of the top three I've ever had to date and a must try for Belgian beer fans!
V - Purchased in a 22oz. bomber, medium/high value.

4.75/5  rDev +23.7%

The Reverend was one of the first big beers that I have ever enjoyed. I first drank it about 5 or 6 years ago, when it still had the wax cap covering. I just drank it last night, which was my first time in a long time. It has a beautiful orange color and a nice, sweet malty aroma. What I like the best about the Reverend is that it is very strong and complex, yet it is so enjoyable to drink. There is no harshness at all. I taste dates in the malt, but not overbearing. The hop profile is low, as it should be. This is a sneaky beer, in that you don't realize that you are drinking a 10% quadruple ale!

4.75/5  rDev +23.7%

This Belgium style quad is amber in color and has pronounced notes of caramel and dark fruit in the nose and initial taste, with a hint of spices and a brandy like character in the backbone. Well balanced and wonderfully complex, with a nice warming sensation from the alcohol.

4.74/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Hazy, dark brown color. Half finger head that sticks around. Hops, lots of malt, and alcohol on the nose. Amazing smooth, malty taste. Malt and alcohol overpowers the bitterness, but not in a way that it is unbalanced. I'm a huge IPA fan, but this is one of the best beers I have ever had. Aftertaste leaves a strong alcohol burn for a beer. Hops can really only be tasted when burping. Excellent beer, would definitely recommend to anyone.

4.72/5  rDev +22.9%

Dark brown-copeer color, head is large at first, but the high ABV quickly surpresses it to a thin white layer. Musty belgian yeast, raisins, plums, big alcohol and sweet brown sugar malt. Taste is full and sweet, the belgian yeast adds a nice musty funk, lots of fruitiness, tart and bitter on the finish. Where is the 10% abv? It is very well hidden, although you do get a nice warming sensation from it. An excellent beer, perfect for this September-seeming night in Minnesota.

4.72/5  rDev +22.9%

had this on tap at the moan and dove, twice in a row. yes, i am suicidal.. actually he brought us two by accident and my girlfriend had asked for racer 5. oh well, i guess i'll have to drink it.

pours lighter than from the bottle, showing the lightest orange color in its highlights. impressive and makes me think it can be consumed in larger quantities for some reason.

sweet malty quad smell, an overpour made the glass all sticky. a good sign in my book.

very trappisty, much more so than the amped up version i've had in the bottle (which is still good.) malt and caramel are fighting for dominance here. brown sugar and orange are saying hello from the stands. i enjoyed both of these glasses with fervor. wasn't until an hour or so later that i forgot where i was and bought frozen bananas from trader joe's.

we have a winner.

4.72/5  rDev +22.9%

Aroma is strong, very malty, with a rich fruity overtone and hints of caramel and toffee. Color is a beautiful clear reddish copper, and head is fairly thick and fine-bubbled. Flavor is sublime - malty, fruity, nutty, strong hop hints, touches of caramel and sweetness, even a teeny bit of smoke. Texture is smooth, and aftertaste includes a hint of brandy and a soupcon of sweetness. Definitely a beer to be revered. ;)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What a beautiful crafted beer. The color when poured was a pleasant dark amber brown with a very little brown foam and no lace. The smell was very fruity and spicy withy a mild hop aroma. The taste had a nice balance of holp's and malted barley. Also, the sweet and creamy fruitiness was was just fantastic. The warmer this ale got, the more intense and complex the flavor got. This goes as on of my top 10 ales. To bad it not for sale in California. I found this treasure in Colorado while traveling cross country. Sould have bought more than half a case! Can't wait for Avery to expand there sales area to California.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of the finest from Avery Brewing Company, The Reverend, a kind and forgiving chap, is a terrific Belgian Quadrupel, full of spice and vim. At 10% ABV, look out, it packs a wallop that you can certainly feel in the second half of the bottle. The Reverend pours a rich head atop a brownish-red body, well presented. The smell and taste exude spice all the way, yet with a sweet taste that enmeshes very well with the spices. Hints of cherry and molasses, with a slightly roasted flavor, are present. Impressive all the way, and one of the best domestic Belgian-style brews in the US. Not to be passed up, and very high on my list.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a cloudy light honey brown with a full two finger thick bubbly beige head. The head leaves super sticky lacing along the edge of the glass and carbonation bubbles rise steadily within.

S: Light toasted malts, pungent hops, pepper and honey. Warming musky alcohol with fruit and biscuit scents.

T: Fruit, pepper and biscuit malt up front. Then quickly dries out with a sharp hop bite and finally subdued by a deep musky alcohol and sweet malt finish. Light honey and candy sugar sweetness aftertastes.

M: Great carbonation, sweet front, dry bite then deep malt finish. Makes your mouth water.

D:For a strong Quad this goes down insanely easy. Warms the belly nicely and the flavors are so varied its hard to put down cause you need to keep sipping in order to decipher them. Awesome beer.

4.67/5  rDev +21.6%

A - poured transparent coppery mahogany red with a 1/2" head that diminished quickly to a ring. Little lacing. So far it's looking ok...

S - Hmm, quite interesting. Slightly sour with citrus notes, coriander, dates, and dark grapes. A large wafting of sweet malts as well. Somewhat wine-like. Alcohol is apparent.

T - Wow! Malty sweet with some hints of toffee and a lot of caramel. Bittersweet aftertaste, with a very small touch of hops balancing the powerful sweetness and alcohol. Figs and dates are highly detected. Did I mention the alcohol?

M - Full bodied and medium carbonation. A little bit chewy

D - For such high alcohol, it is very drinkable. I'd rather sip it.

Overall - Split a 22 oz bomber with my gf. This is a good twist on a Belgian Style Quad. Very tasty, very potent. Almost reminds me of an English Barleywine. It isn't what I would buy if I wanted a real Belgian Style Quad but I would definitely buy this again just because it was tasty and drinkable.

4.64/5  rDev +20.8%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into my Konigshoeven chalice, since I assume it's meant to be similar to the their quad. The Reverend is bronze with slight chill haze, and a small eggshell head that quickly fades to a small, big bubbled collar, leaving slight lace. Lighter then most, but something about the auburn glow appeals to me. Unfortunately, there's basically no head. I love head.

The aroma is pretty subdued, honey like candi sugar, spicy belgian yeast and alcohol. I was expecting more of the grape aroma that you find in stronger, sweeter BSDAs, but there was no dark fruit to be found here. Nevertheless, it's nice and appealing.

From the first sip, I knew I really loved this quad. I'm about finished with the bomber, much faster then I expected mind you, and still really loving it. Blown away in fact. Sweet like honey, nicely balanced by the spicy trappist yeast, and remarkably smooth, with only a whisper of alcohol. So much better then the aforementioned trappist, IMHO.

While the taste is fantastic, the mouthfeel is the real star here. Luscious, creamy, and light, for a quad. I'm not sure how they can make it so sweet yet not cloying or thick, the total antithesis of barelywine in all but ABV.

This is one dangerously drinkable quad, look out! It taste fantastic, is highly digestible, is readily available, and fairly cheap. My new cigar beer.

4.63/5  rDev +20.6%

The Reverend is my new best friend. This high octane beer will hit you by surprise. Very smooth for the high alcohol content 10% ABV. Seeing the Rev only come in 22 oz. bottles you have to be careful. With hints of fruit and sweetness, the brewers at Avery sure have put together a good beer here. Maybe its all the Belgium candy sugar they use.

4.63/5  rDev +20.6%

I had the faith. I was brave. I tried my first Quad. It was the Rev. Can I get a witness from the congregation?!

I was a little chancy at first because, once, I was feeling adventurous and sampled a now-retired potable called Sam Adams Triple Bock. Not exactly my cup of tea (um... beer, but you knew that), and the memory of the unpleasantness was a concern for me because I made the mistake of making associations based upon the words "Triple" and "Quadruple," etc. My fault for making assumptions. Bad Advocate!

But I am nothing if I fail to broaden my horizons, and so I sampled Avery's The Reverend Quadruple Ale, and, to quote Neil Diamond, "Now I am a believer..."

OK. That's the last spiritual reference that I'll work into this review. (I would, however, like very much to explore the interplay between spirituality and beer, but I will have to save that examination for another time.)

Right now, let us get down to the brass tacks of this review: I was more than pleasantly surprised by my discovery. You should try one.

Look: Appealing ale appearance complete with slightly opaque, sanguinous coloration and above-average head and lace retention.

Nose: Light hops and malt aroma. A subtle invitation to lure in the curious without overpowering the olfactory. "Hmmm! What's this?"

Taste: Delicious mix of hops and malt sweetness, low bitterness and absent residual taste.

Mouth: A thin but creamy feel.

Drink: Easily consumed (oh boy, is it easily consumed!), but with the caveat that it carries with it an ABV of 10.0, and so it is strictly for the non-driving tasters. And so, collect everybody's car keys and throw them in the aquarium or bury them in the cat box (ooh, don't really do that), and invite a bunch of friends over for a tasting party of this truly remarkable quadruple.

With Respect for Beer,

4.62/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

In a snifter at cellar temperature.

An off-white, one-finger head of froth fizzles away to a ring encircling some lingering splotches above a beautiful deep blood-ruby body. Oh, and there's some lacing left behind, too. Quite pleasing to behold.

The aroma has a big dose of dark fruits, like raisins, cherries, and dates. Festive spices like ginger, nutmeg, and cloves also abound. Smells very Belgian.

It tastes sweet, spicy, and bready. Much like fruitcake. First it's like tart dark fruit, then sweeter like cherries, and ultimately drying into that wonderful Belgian breadiness in the finish. Regarding the spiciness, I think I taste cinnamon specifically! VERY nice. This is how an awesome quad should taste, I think.

The feel is effervescent, but still sufficiently substantial to support the rich flavors.

I'm very impressed with this beer. But also vexed and perplexed. This is a STELLAR American-brewed, Belgian-style ale. And yet it seems to be so over-looked... Could it be because it isn't from Belgium? Or because it's so commonly available? In any case, I now revere The Reverend. And I'm not even religious.

4.62/5  rDev +20.3%

A rich, orange/amber colored liquid topped with a small, off-white head. No lace left.
Smell is malt, oak, smoke, peat, raisins, cherry, green apple, wheat. Insanely well balanced in nose and taste.
Taste: see above and add whiskey note.
Smooth, rich, full-bodied, warming at end of swallow. Light effervescence. Almost a sipping beer, extraordinarily good beer, a must drink.

The Reverend from Avery Brewing Company