2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

The Reverend - Avery Brewing Company

The ReverendThe Reverend

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-21-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,400 | Reviews: 778 | Show All Ratings:
ubenumber2

Arkansas

3.43/5  rDev -10.9%

Served from a bottle , not much head , good lacing though , cloudy dark amber beer. Smells great , nice mouthful , just for me the taste wasnt there , not really bad , its drinkable , just not a beer I would ever buy again if given the choice of others , the price wasnt too bad , just not one of my favorites

11-07-2012 15:07:34 | More by ubenumber2
Darkmagus82

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

Served on tap in a 10 oz chalice glass

Appearance – Served a hazy ruby/mahogany color with a small white head. The head faded relatively fast to leave a lighter amount of lacing.

Smell – The aroma was heaviest of a dark fruit smell mixed with some brown sugar. Mixed with these sweeter aromas is a light yeasty smell as well as some yeasty notes.

Taste – The taste starts out of the dark fruits that were detected in the nose. A cherry and raisin flavor greet the tongue with a light hint of some fig. The fig and cherry continually get stronger as the taste advances. While this occurs some flavors of yeast and a light spicy flavor come to the tongue. In the end a light alcohol flavor comes to the tongue as well, and mixes with the rest to leave a fruity and warming feel on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body is silky and smooth with a carbonation level that is rather average. The body and carbonation are quite nice for the fruity flavors. With the brew sliding through the mouth with all the nice flavors and the warming tastes it keeps any one flavor from becoming too overpowering and unbalancing.

Overall – A very nice “American” Quad. It has a nice fruity flavor mixed with a great feel and a very nice warming taste. Tasty and well worth a try.

11-06-2012 01:22:33 | More by Darkmagus82
StoneTSR

Colorado

4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

APPEARANCE: This beer looks like a Barleywine, same color (mahogany) with a half-inch, off-white head that has decent retention. The lacing is also pretty good. This looks strong and pretty tasty.

SMELL: The aroma scream richness. Again, like a Barleywine, banana and clove are strong up front. Caramel, brown sugar and some dark fruits round out the nose.

TASTE: Caramel, molasses, brown sugar, banana, clove. Hmm...seems like a Barleywine except that there is a bigger dose of spiciness and a hint of an earthy funk to it. The sweet flavors from the malts cover up the booze quite nicely as well.

MOUTHFEEL: I don't say this about a craft beer ever, but this beer is practically begging you to chug. At 10% I certainly don't recommend that, but it is just incredibly easy drinking. It is sweet, but not too sweet and seems to set the palate up perfectly for that next sip every time. Medium body along with a medium carbonation makes this a smooth, creamy beer that goes down easy.

OVERALL: I am very happy that I took the time to review this beer. It is something I have enjoyed in the past, but never really focused on and I think it goes underappreciated as one of Avery's stronger efforts. I look forward to experiencing this one again in the very near future.

10-30-2012 20:34:26 | More by StoneTSR
DrDemento456

3.65/5  rDev -5.2%

A - Not a bad pour head being a minimal 1/4 inch of opaque colored goodness and a sticky moderate lacing. Color is a hazy yet clear dark amber brown.

S - Smells of fusel alcohol, mild dark fruits, hops (which kind of caught me off guard), and malty caramel.

T - Not as bad as say Weyerbacher quad but still very one note. Dark fruits then quickly to Belgium fruity yeasts and a mild hop finish. Like I said not very complex (I guess if I were to pick a fruit it would be dates?) but it's not bad either.

M - Pretty spot on for the style no alcohol burn and yet it's still very much a sipper.

Overall not really the best beer I picked up from Avery but it's not a bad take on the style. I would much rather have a hog heaven.

10-02-2012 03:30:42 | More by DrDemento456
chanokokoro

2.9/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a goblet

Pours a deep dark maple syrup-colored amber. Hardly any head at all even after a fairly aggresive hard pour. The litttle head there is disappears in seconds and leaves a very faint foam ring. Obviously, no lacing. Faint aroma of candi sugar, raisins, fig and spice on the nose. Accents of all of the aspects mentioned as part of the nose present in the taste plus some biscuit and very distinguishable alcohol. Absolutely no depth to the taste at all, somewhat bland. Overall, I'm not a big fan. There was no head and a barely above average mouthfeel. One of the least complex quads I've had. I have really enjoyed what Avery has to offer, however, I'll pass on The Reverend in the future.

09-22-2012 05:11:17 | More by chanokokoro
JackieTH

3.63/5  rDev -5.7%

Sampled at 2012 Autumn Brew Review, from notes.

Dark reddish orange pour with a beige head. Smells candied sweet with banana, plums, floral and cloves. Taste is not as sweet as the smell suggests, although still quite sweet, there are turns of raisin, currants, cherries, and clove-spice notes that try to keep some order to the candy sweet and malt base. Seems better on draft than from what I remember from a bottle.

09-16-2012 13:29:41 | More by JackieTH
JMad

I drank this from a glass goblet...

The beer pours a medium brown color with red hues and a thin off white head that quickly faded. Smells of raisin, clove and candisugar with a hint of banana, very aromatic. Tastes warm and alcoholic with some dark fruits, banana, and clove. The feel is nice and thick with low carbonation and a strong finish. This is a strong quad, a little age would probably do it some good, I would drink this again but wouldn't buy a bottle without putting it away for at least a year.

09-07-2012 03:24:16 | More by JMad
SHODriver

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

12045B1 batch
A: poured into a snifter to a deep brown with a small and short lasting off white head that leaves a collar around the glass
S: smells of dark fruits, some alcohol soaked cherries, candi sugar and some caramel
T: tastes of caramel, dark fruits, a little cherry, and candi sugar. aftertaste has a bit of alcohol and some more dark fruit flavor
M: medium to full, not overly viscous with some nice soft carbonation
O: good flavors and some nice complexity. pretty good but there are some better beers for the style

09-06-2012 03:35:10 | More by SHODriver
RussBecker1

3.85/5  rDev 0%

At this point in my tasting career, Avery Brewing Company has always intrigued me. Respectfully they step out of many peoples comfort zones, choosing to highlight some very different undertones that others will steer away from. Needless to say Avery is not for everyone in my opinion, and it is not a good stating point when attempting to dive into a new style of beer.

That being said, the reverend proved to be a very intriguing mix of spice and flavor that I would not normally expect from a quad. despite the huge nose this beer possesses the consistency was a little to thin and thus the alcohol does mask some of the flavors that the drinker knows is there, but simply cannot get enough out of them to identify. Upon drinking the ale however, the deep fruits meld nicely with the alcohol, and the drinker is left with an interesting earth aftertaste that I have never seen in a quad. The problem however is it is almost too earthy as you soon forget the first notes of the beer, leaving you with a dry bitterness that if eased up on would be rather nice, but sadly it was a hint too much. Interesting nonetheless.

09-02-2012 23:07:17 | More by RussBecker1
UCLABrewN84

3.65/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a clear dark copper-orange with a foamy beige head that settles to an oily film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, brown sugar, dark fruits, yeast, and some spice aromas. Taste is much the same with a mild spice finish and a slight alcohol kick with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that smells better than it tastes in my opinion.

09-01-2012 02:31:04 | More by UCLABrewN84
AdamHart22

2.8/5  rDev -27.3%

Poured into tulip.

Asolutely no head at all. Poured aggressively. Possibly bad bottle? Color is a mahogany red.

Smells like fig newtons crossed with brown sugar. Nice.

The taste is quite mellow. For a 10 percent abv it drinks like a 5. I get figs, honey, and a touch of sweat tea.

Mouth is normal, leaves a sweet taste and is probly my favorite part of the beer.

Overall, I expected more taste from a quadrupel. It is possible my bottle was bad, but for the price I expected more.

08-19-2012 00:40:16 | More by AdamHart22
paleoplant

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

This beer does not seem like a quadruple... I thought it was more like a strong dark ale. The color and appearance is the main reason for this opinion. The smell is characteristic of a quadruple, and it was enjoyable. The taste was also pleasant. It's not the best quadruple that I have had but Avery makes a good product.

08-16-2012 00:52:33 | More by paleoplant
The_Blodge

4.38/5  rDev +13.8%

A: Deep Orange-brown. Two-fingered head that dissipates slowly. Lacing down the web-like glass. No real haze. Fairly transparent. Bock-like.

S: Fresh fruit and alcohol. Apple and plum. Signature Belgian yeast aromas permeate. Flowery perfume lingers. Subtle but significant. Very clean. No funk whatsoever.

T: Sugars and alcohol. Belgian yeast and esters in the mouth. Bread-like finish. Very pleasant. Caramelly. Almost doppelbock-like. I am really getting the molasses. Alcohol is dangerously concealed. WOW...this one is legit.

M: Great medium body. Medium carbonation like a doppelbock.

O: Excellent beer! Love the subdued alcohol in this one. Very dangerous. Sip this one carefully...or you may end up in the drunk tank.

08-10-2012 22:11:04 | More by The_Blodge
thecheapies

I am unable to find any indication of bottle dating. 22oz bomber. Poured into Belgian goblets.

The dregs fell to the bottom of my glass. Chestnut brown body with flakes of yeast junk settling. Started off as a couple inches of head, but a solid finger's worth has retained with its antiquated white color. Thin lacing peels down the glass as the foam bursts away.

Red-skinned fruits, crabapple, persimmon, cherry, toasted grains, and bready yeast notes. Not the most fantastic nose on a quad, but intriguing enough. Smells light. I anticipate the beer to be vibrant and fruity for the style. Not much caramel or toffee or raisin or fig.

Cherries in the front with a lot of well-toasted barley, cream, and breadiness. Yeast takes a more spicy approach rather than a nutty one. Perhaps a little attenuated. There are notes of roasted chestnuts, browned apple flesh, tart berries, and mentholated tobacco. Very nice.

While the body is just thinner than medium, the silkiness of it is almost unmatched. I have had few beers in this realm of viscosity feel so marvelous and be so well-executed. The carbonation is subtle and near-perfect for a big Belgian-style ale such as this.

I reserve most of my top overall ratings in the style for true Belgians, as they tend to be the most complex in taste and aroma and always have great creamy mouthfeel. But, The Reverend has captivated me. A delicious beer with impeccable feel and all the elements worthy of the prestige of imbibing from my Westy chalice.

08-06-2012 03:24:53 | More by thecheapies
bassmantin

4.48/5  rDev +16.4%

Pours a dark golden brown with modest head. There is a lot of sediment floating in it. Hold this one up to the light. I'm shocked by how much sediment there is.

Smells like a standard quad. Very sweet. I detect bubblegum in the smell. I'm intrigued.

Taste is fantastic. Well-balanced and rich with Belgian malts. The alcohol is almost indetectible. I noted the same characteristic in the Avery 19th Anniversary. Something about these Avery beers, they really mask the alcohol well. I cannot believe this is a 10% abv beer.

Great beer, and a great value. Will definitely come back to it.

07-28-2012 00:53:10 | More by bassmantin
Brenden

3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

About an even medium red leaning burnt red-light brown in the middle, this beer produces a small, tight head off the tap. Retention is pretty good and there are thin, broken near-rings of lacing along with some spotting.
To be honest, I'd never really known what style The Reverend actually is, and I'd never tried it before. There are a few dead giveaways to the style, though it's not as complex as others of its kind or as rich. What it has going for it is that, firstly, I could never know it's a full 10%, as the alcohol is masterfully masked while maintaining a presence and it's simply a solid, balanced, flavorful beer if not that deep. One knows it's a Belgian from the obvious banana and clove-like elements that come only from the Belgian yeast. Combine that with the dark color, the strength, and the dark fruits & candi sugar flavors and you know it's got to be a dubbel, tripel or quad. This one's a little different, though, with a bit of leafy and spicy hops to it and a faint woody sort of note as well.
The masters have this one beat in the feel; sometimes, in an effort to get that rich, full creaminess and strength without the heaviness, a beer goes toward being overly carbonated and crisp enough just to fill, almost like facsimilating a creaminess. This beer tends that way. It could also use more heft for a quad.

07-11-2012 14:43:14 | More by Brenden
draheim

Washington

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

22oz (2010?) into a chalice. Pours a crystal-clear amber-mahogany w/ a 1-finger khaki head, good vigorous carb.

Aroma is fruity, bready malt - plums, raisins, figs - brown sugar, alcohol.

Taste follows nose. Sweet, fruity, bready w/ a clean dry finish. Maybe lacking in complexity, though - somewhat one-dimensional.

Mouthfeel is creamy & smooth, soft on the palate. Carbonation is spot-on.

Overall a pretty good quad. Not in the same league as the style leaders, but a worthy effort.

07-10-2012 04:10:23 | More by draheim
ElCommodoro

4.95/5  rDev +28.6%

I've never had a quad before, so I'll try to rate it as best I can without having much to compare it to.
Pour produced an impressive light tan head. I'm not sure how this is possible for such a high alcohol content, but it lingered for a very long time and left some of the most impressive lacing I've ever seen. Doesn't make any sense, but I swear that's what happened. I didn't even chill the glass either.
Colour is a light, transparent mahongany with a great deal of large sediment clumps floating around throughout. Not enough to cloud the beverage, though.
The smell is very yeasty, very much of apricot and quite sweet.
Taste is more of the same. Very Belgian. The yeast taste is very strong. Rotting apricot is the dominant flavour. There's good maltiness and some mild alcohol flavour to fill it out, but that's really all it is; filler. The yeasty, rotting apricot flavour dominates. I'm glad to see no hop bitterness is noticeable, but I was hoping for some more alcohol burn in such a strong, sweet brew. It's very well hidden, not so much among complexity as just behind the sweet, yeasty fruit flavour. I can certainly feel the alcohol's affect. I almost didn't rewrite this review after my first one was deleted because Beer Advocate made me log back in. Why the hell it forcibly logged me out to begin with, I can't imagine. I logged in under an hour ago and haven't left the effing page. But let's not let my frustration ruin a perfectly good review. I am surprised by how much I enjoyed this brew considering how dominant a part the strong Belgian yeast flavour played a part. I'm not usually a fan of such styles, but this was just fine. It makes me want to perhaps try another quad one day and not give up on Belgian beers as some other examples have made me want to do. If an anti-yeast-flavour drinker such as myself can enjoy this, it must be good. I suggest giving it a try.

Update:
After having my second one of these, I think even more highly of it. It's the cheapest quad I've come across and still the best so far. The flavour is so complex, and very conservative on hop use, allowing me to really pick up on the whole range of the palate. This is possibly the best beer I've ever had. So, possibly also the best for the money since it's almost affordable for a quad. Some of the better budget beers can still compete, though, since they're SO cheap. But this is definitely up there in the top 5 best beers for the money. It's amazingly delicious. I didn't think I was into yeasty beers and this little gem proved me wrong.

06-20-2012 08:00:24 | More by ElCommodoro
GameFreac

Georgia

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

22 oz. bottle shared with a friend. Not sure on the bottling date. 2nd Quad I've ever had to my knowledge.

Appearance: Pours a ruby reddish color that you can see through with no head but that's expected with 10%.

Smell: Smells of dark fruits, plums, and raisins.

Taste - Taste mirrors the nose with more dark fruits coming through, candy, malts, molasses, and brown sugar.

Mouthfeel: Could have been thicker but it was fine. No alcohol detected but feels nice and warming in the throat.

Overall: Overall, very good…better than St. Bernadus Abt 12. No care.

06-20-2012 05:55:41 | More by GameFreac
BostonHops

3.53/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz served in a snifter.

pours a translucent dark amber tone with ruby highlights. less than a finger of beige/off-white head recedes fairly quickly into a collar around the glass; nice lacing.

nose is caramel malty first and foremost, followed by candied sugar and a touch of dark fruits. flavor opens with a lasting sweet maltiness; plenty of caramel/toffee, some dark fruit characters and a maybe a touch of bubblegum. a bit on the hot side... overall a decent quad, definitely nothing transcendent.

medium bodied mouthfeel with medium-low carbonation. sweetness starts to wear on you after a while. not on the level of a belgian quad (you might argue it's a borderline quad to begin with) but then, what is?

originally reviewed: 02-21-2011

06-08-2012 01:09:08 | More by BostonHops
maximum12

2.38/5  rDev -38.2%

Avery was one of those breweries I used to pick up regularly ten years ago & more; I don't buy enough of them anymore. Too many choices? Dunno, just that I haven't had one in a long, long time. 22 oz. bomber split with my wife.

Pour is dark red with a handful of rich mud thrown in; impenetrable. I almost have to submerge my busted nose to get anything; spare sweetness, faint candy. Not much going on in the aroma realm.

The Reverned tastes a lot stronger than it smells. Bug zapper of alcohol hits one out the gate, along with a double handful of sweaty figs & raisins. Too much raisin, it makes me feel unclean. And I took a shower today. Residual sweetness isn't enough to drown out the sharp tang. Echoes of some dark fruit, but really, not much going on here.

Disappointed in this one. I know the raisins are a personal problem, but there's not much to set them off against. Sub-mediocre.

06-03-2012 02:35:03 | More by maximum12
DavoleBomb

3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured into a goblet.

3.5 A: Clear, deep amber color. A little over one finger of light tan, frothy/creamy head. Retention is average and a short ring of lacing is left.

4.0 S: Very effervescent. Super strong cherry with accompanying berry aromas. Really, it's tough to search for anything else since the fruits are so up in your face. Plum is also burly, but the currants, raisin, and dates aren't. Good bit of caramel and candi sugar and maybe a touch of molasses underneath. Sweet, but clean overall. Lacking much of the earthiness of the Belgian quads, but a pleasant aroma nonetheless. Mild, though noticeable booze.

4.0 T: Like the nose, this is full of cherries, berries, and plums. Currants, prune, and raisins in limited amounts. Caramel and candi sugar are abundant again. Touch of molasses and a light woodiness, though again not very earthy overall. Clean, sweet for the style, with a light booziness not unbecoming of a 10% brew.

3.5 M: Medium to heavier medium body. Heavier on the tongue than some of the best Belgian mouthfeels, but good enough. Moderate amounts of moderately spritzy carbonation. Reasonably creamy and super smooth.

4.0 D: More and more I think that the general Quad should be split into Belgian and American Quads. This is very tasty, but it doesn't taste all that much like the famous Trappist quads out there. Super tasty beer that is fruit centric and vivid.

05-25-2012 02:16:51 | More by DavoleBomb
WastingFreetime

Wisconsin

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

Reviewed from tasting notes.

Poured out a clear garnet color with orange highlights around the edges and only a thin collar for a head, no lacing. Peaches and cream aroma combined with lesser amounts of raspberries and plums. Has a pretty low phenol level for a Quad, I'm impressed. Tastes of creme brulee and brown sugar, but not very yeasty in comparison to other Quads. Further light flavors of nutmeg spice and some herbal aroma hopping appear around the edges of the beer as it warms up. In my opinion it could have used about 12% heavier noble spice bittering for optimal balance against the sweetness but YMMV as that sort of thing is highly subjective. Medium bodied and lightly carbonation, lightly boozey warming finish.

05-22-2012 15:40:02 | More by WastingFreetime
GLM0011

Alabama

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

Bought a half gallon milk jug of this beer which came out to be five good beers. Very good drinkability and very nice smell. Went very good with gourmet mediterranean pizza. Kind of a slight pilsner ending taste. Malty more than fruity. Will definitely drink this again and again. This beer with pizza and a good mma fight made a wonderful night.

05-20-2012 15:37:08 | More by GLM0011
superspak

4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

22 ounce bottle into chalice, no bottle dating. Pours crystal clear reddish copper color with a 1 finger dense light khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lasts. Some good spotty lacing on the glass. Aromas of caramel, molasses, raisin, toffee, biscuit, toasted grain, grape, candi sugar, and light yeast spices. Some very nice and well balanced aroms; with good complexity and strength. Taste of big caramel, biscuit, molasses, toffee, raisin, fig, toasted grain, light clove, and slight yeast spices. Lingering notes of caramel, toffee, raisin, fig, biscuit, molasses, and light yeast spices on the finish for a while. Fantastic flavor balance and complexity; with no cloying sweetness at all. Extremely easy to sip on; with hardly any alcohol warming noticed other than a minimal warming after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a creamy and fairly slick mouthfeel. Overall, this is a fantastic Belgian quad style. Great flavor balance and complexity; and extremely smooth to sip on. Loved this one.

05-14-2012 01:38:25 | More by superspak