The Reverend - Avery Brewing Company

Hop Variety: Sterling
Malt Variety: Two-row barley, Aromatic malt, Cara-45, Cara-20, Special B
Sugars: Belgian Candy Sugar
OG: 1.085 ABV: 10.0% IBUs: 24 Color: Tawny
The Reverend, was created in tribute to the life of our friend Tom Boogaard’s grandfather, an ordained Episcopal Reverend. Tom was inspired by the life of his grandfather and wanted to create a tribute beer that contained his sterling traits. True to the spirit and character of the departed Reverend, this beer is strong willed, assertive, and pure of heart.

Our brewers included as many authentic imported Belgian specialty malts as they could, making this the perfect beer for folks who love malty beers and are ready to take the next step. A divinely complex and beautifully layered beer with hints of dark cherries, currants, and molasses, complimented by an underlying spiciness. Sinfully smooth considering the high alcohol content.

The Reverend is the second installment of “The Holy Trinity of Ales” series.

Food pairing: Try The Reverend with a gyro or paired with our favorite: steamed spicy saffron mussels.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,662 | Reviews: 802
3.66/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from a capped 750 with that red avery foil on it.

Appearance: Hazy dark orange. Lighter in color than I expected.

Smell: Great heavy sweet fresh baked bread and peaches or apricots with a little spice.

Taste: Whoa, pure alcohol up front, then mostly dark sweet sugar and less fruit and bread than I smelled. Becomes, very sweet, too sweet.

Mouthfeel: I like. I little syrupy and thick, but not uncarbonated. That strong booziness cleanses the palate.

Drinkability: Overall, I'd be lying if I said I didnt really enjoy it. Its too sweet for me though, and I really like a sweet belgian. Theres just not enough other interesting flavor to balance the sweet for me. Good, but not the same ballpark as the classic quads like St Bernardus or Rochefort, not even the same sport.

3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured into a snifter for a clear ruby brown body with a quickly receeding head that is well-carb'd. A thick smell of caramel and other sugary goodness, along with yeast and some dark fruits. Also a hint of spice and fruits like orange and grape; slightly medicinal though. A heavy, full-bodied slightly smooth/creamy brew where the ABV pokes out a little. There is a little bit of yeasty fluffiness for a slight bready mouthfeel, along with carmelized malt and some sweetness. Finishes with a quasi-sour hop bitterness backbite that is mostly smooth and clean. Contains some orange and grape taste. A somewhat complex brew that isn't bad, but is just a little off to be a really good quad.

3.92/5  rDev +1.6%

My first bottle of Reverend, served up from a 22oz bottle.

Very fine head that dissipated almost a quickly as I could pour the beer with no lacing left behind. Very pronounced aroma and taste of caramel and vanilla. Very lightly carbonated giving the beer an almost velvety texture. I can't fairly say how this compares to the style but I found it very pleasant to the palate and the nose and very drinkable. Just enough astringency from the alcohol to keep the sweet malt from coating my tongue.

Looking forward to another bottle.

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours from a red foil wrapped brown bottle bomber into a chalice. It has a beautiful redish brown color with great clarity. The head is thick and long-lasting with lacing down the sides of the glass.

Aroma is sweet with nice fruit esters and some spicy yeast character.

The flavor is intense and complex. It has lots of dark fruits like cherries and plum. It also displays complex spice notes. Lots of caramel and toffee sweetness that helps balance out the generous hop bitterness.

Full bodied and good level of carbonation for the style. Very strong and the alcohol is pretty well-hidden but certainly not lacking.

Overall, this beer is really well done. It has all the characteristics I would expect in a Belgian quad but it may be lacking in the subtle qualities that define the genuine originals.

3.77/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: The Reverend is a brilliant red toned copper color and has a creamy eggshell head that sticks around the whole glass. Lacing isn't all that remarkable, but such a persistent head deserves notice.

S: Aromas are very very mild. A little malt sweetness and a little yeast, but not much else to excite the nose.

T: Taste is dominated by big Caramel flavor. Its like drinking a dulce de leche cake. Nice sweetness is accented by some mild yeasty flavor and a small hint of bitterness on the back end. A little buttery and a note of fruity flavor, but the dominant flavor is a caramel candy sweetness.

M: Mouthfeel is slightly syrupy but I still get some persistent prickly carbonation.

D: Its a little on the heavy side-- pretty high ABV. Nevertheless, flavor is nice enough that I polished off the bomber pretty easily.

Final thoughts: This beer is a little different from other Belgian beers I've had. Its got a much more one-dimensional flavor, less complexity than what you normally expect with Belgians. Still a very good beer. I like beers that pull off nice caramel sweetness and "The Reverend" certainly does. Forgive any spelling and grammar errors in this review, this beer hides its 10% AVB pretty well and I drank all 22oz in about 12 minutes!

3.16/5  rDev -18.1%

Pours a pleasant brick red colour with a limited head. I'm really struggling with the nose: yeast and bubble gum with alcohol fumes, but somehow not repulsive. The taste reflects the nose, but with a slight woodiness and maybe a hint of vanilla or even aniseed. I don't dislike this: I find it surprisingly one dimensional yet remarkably difficult to describe! Shockingly easy to gradually drain a large bottle of such a strong beer.

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

Deep amber color with a decent head that resolves in about one minute, leaving no lacing.

The smell is a funky yeast and tropical fruit. The malt shows up as caramel sweetness and sourdough bread.

The taste has a very sweet malt nose that dominates the other present flavors of yeast. There's a bit of clove in there, too. It's very boozy with a touch of vanilla, almost giving it a bourbon like quality.

The mouthfeel is very warm and acidic, compounded with a syrupy sweet texture. It has an unusual bitter finish that doesn't leave very much of an aftertaste.

I do like the tast of this beer, but it is definitely a sipper and takes some time to drink. Like I said, it's very boozey and when that's combined with the sweet texture it's very punishing in the chest and stomach.

Admittedly, this is my first quadrupel and this one tasted good enough to peak my interest, but I imagine that there are ones out there that are a lot more balanced and smooth. I'd like to try more of this style to compare.

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

A- Nice amber/ light copper with a definite haze. Impressive tan head that sticks.

S- Caramel, raisin and toffee, and some warm bread smell.

T- Nice and light but has enough complexity to remain interesting. Same flavors as in the smell along with light bitterness from the hops, warming from alcohol, and tartness from yeast.

M- Nice and light with foamy carbonation

D- Clean, light character keeps this one flowing until you hit the floor.

4.18/5  rDev +8.3%

S- Caramel, crisp hops, funky belgian wheat, and some warm bread smell.

T- Nice and light but has enough complexity to remain interesting. Same flavors as in the smell along with some bitterness from the hops, warming from alcohol, and tartness from yeast.

M- Nice and light with foamy carbonation

D- Clean, light character keeps this one flowing.

4.17/5  rDev +8%

Beer poured into my Rochefort chalice forms a 2 cm head that dies quickly. Minimal lacing but a nice burnt orange color. Nose is malts, a little citrus, and some floral, almost purfume like hop notes. Pretty complex and appealing nose here. Creamy mouthfeel is immediately noticeable along with a straightforward malt presence. Finish is a bit bitter with a prolonged warming alcohol sensation. I enjoyed this beer quite a bit but there are some that are a notch above.

3.97/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance: Pours a dirty amber color with a very thin off white head. Appears to be a good amount of sediment suspended in it.

Smell: Very fruity with the most dominant being apricot. Lots of yeast and spices also detectable.

Taste: Very sweet at first then tart and acidic. Apricot and oranges with other candied fruit. Slight alcohol warming.

Mouthfeel/drinkability: This was thick and creamy in the mouth with a very full body and a dry finish.

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

poured a little flat for me. about and eighth inch of head that lessened to a film. a bit hazy. a little bit of a cider taste to it that was nice. definately a full body to it. good lacing down the glass.

i am not sure i would put in the class of the genuine belgian quads but it is a very good beer.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

4.63/5  rDev +19.9%

I had the faith. I was brave. I tried my first Quad. It was the Rev. Can I get a witness from the congregation?!

I was a little chancy at first because, once, I was feeling adventurous and sampled a now-retired potable called Sam Adams Triple Bock. Not exactly my cup of tea (um... beer, but you knew that), and the memory of the unpleasantness was a concern for me because I made the mistake of making associations based upon the words "Triple" and "Quadruple," etc. My fault for making assumptions. Bad Advocate!

But I am nothing if I fail to broaden my horizons, and so I sampled Avery's The Reverend Quadruple Ale, and, to quote Neil Diamond, "Now I am a believer..."

OK. That's the last spiritual reference that I'll work into this review. (I would, however, like very much to explore the interplay between spirituality and beer, but I will have to save that examination for another time.)

Right now, let us get down to the brass tacks of this review: I was more than pleasantly surprised by my discovery. You should try one.

Look: Appealing ale appearance complete with slightly opaque, sanguinous coloration and above-average head and lace retention.

Nose: Light hops and malt aroma. A subtle invitation to lure in the curious without overpowering the olfactory. "Hmmm! What's this?"

Taste: Delicious mix of hops and malt sweetness, low bitterness and absent residual taste.

Mouth: A thin but creamy feel.

Drink: Easily consumed (oh boy, is it easily consumed!), but with the caveat that it carries with it an ABV of 10.0, and so it is strictly for the non-driving tasters. And so, collect everybody's car keys and throw them in the aquarium or bury them in the cat box (ooh, don't really do that), and invite a bunch of friends over for a tasting party of this truly remarkable quadruple.

With Respect for Beer,
MikeInIowa

3.68/5  rDev -4.7%

Enjoyed in a snifter.

A: Beautiful amber color with a finger of off-white head that decreases in size to a layer, and then fades off into a ring around the glass.
S: Pungent ripe citrus. Apple cider and vanilla bean as well. There's discernible yeast on the nose. The alcohol hides well for the most part.
T: Very sweet beginning of apples and pears. Ends in alcoholic bite and hoppy bitterness. Sugar sweetness and metallic grains.
M: Medium bodied with balanced carbonation. In fact, this beer is almost crisp and refreshing.
D: A definite sipper. I look forward to enjoying more from Avery.

3.05/5  rDev -21%

A - Clear amber in color, scant head if you could call that swirl of foam on top such. Clings to the glass nicely though.

S - Yeasty and a little funky sour with the odor of alcohol very noticeable. Mild, but discernable, are notes of fruits and spice like cinnamon or allspice or something of the like.

T - Funky, earthy, bready and alcohol are the first things that pop into my mind. Sweet with malt and somewhat fruity with a nice clove flavor.

M - Smooth and silky, but with a bite that lingers.

D - Certainly a sipper. Without much experience with the Quad style, I am not sure how well it stacks up to its peers, but I think it is a good introduction and it certainly has me thinking about exploring further.

3.12/5  rDev -19.2%

A: Poured into my Westmalle goblet. Pours a clear, amber color, with a 1/4" off-white colored head that instantaneously recedes to a bubbly ring around the glass.

S: Predominate sweet malt and spice aromas, with some alcohol intermingled.

T: Alcohol hits you pretty much right off the bat, followed by a residual sweetness and mild fruity character. A slight pungent, earthy, almost funky flavor left on the palate.

M: Quite a bit of carbonation, maybe more than I would prefer with this style. Quite a viscous beer, left a lot of sugary stickyness on my lips.

D: I'm not too sure about this beer. On one hand it isn't all that bad, but I'm not reminded of a quad when I drink it. Too clear, too carbonated and too cloying, not to mention the strange "funkiness" in the background. I will probably pass this up the next time I see it.

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from bottle into snifter

A- Very little head appeared when poured. Auburn/bronze color.

S- Mild spice, slight clove smell. Fruity maybe even stawberry smell. Smell the phenols.

T- malty, fruity, taste the alcohol the more you drink. Definitely not the complex taste of other quads.

M- smooth for a quadruple

D- definitely a drinkable beer despite the 10%

3.9/5  rDev +1%

Picked this up, my first Quadruple ale, and definitely ready to try it out. It has a deep amber color when poured into a clear mug, and the head and lacing is semi-thick and definitely quality. Criss-crossing lines run down the side of the glass as the head dissipates. The smell is very pungent and strong, with a citrus afterglow.

A very solid taste packed with lemon and nuts. The alcohol is definitely present but takes a back seat to the charismatic flavor. A piney resolve finishes once the brew is swallowed.

There is a definite sting to this one, and even though the mouthfeel is creamy, it is constantly biting at you. It's a very strange sensation that I haven't had from many other beers. I wonder if it has to do with being a Quad or if that's irrelevant. Either way, real solid mouthfeel, and the drinkability is high too.

This stuff was strong, delicious, and I will definitely be going back to pick out more quadruple's to try!

3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

22oz Bomber from Liquor Locker Fayetteville, TN
into a glass

Poured a nice amber color with a tall light head.

Sweet malty smell along with fruits and a hint of the achohol.

The malty sweetness hit strong, add in the hint of fruits and it covers the high alchohol nicely.

Thick but smooth feel that doesn't want to leave your mouth.

The the thickness makes it a little difficult to drink but it doens't really hit you until the last fourth of the glass.

A very good beer. This was my first Quad, and it only enticed me to try some others.

3.61/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured amber, lighter than anticipated. Clear. The pour, a rather carefully slow one, still produced a pretty good head, just barely off-white. There is a nice, occasionally thick, somewhat spotty cap and ring, leaving behind noticeable, sticky lacing.

A musty tangy (when concentrated, upon cracking the bottle, I might even say sour, but it settles and disperses with the pour) but also sweet nose, lots of bread to it. Citrus notes. I think I detect a hint of cherries, leading into the somewhat spicy alcohol notes at the end.

Heavily candied light fruits - apple is apparent, citrus as well. I love to read reviews as I write my own - because I do detect notes of melon, and I never would've put a name to it without having skimmed many of the other reviews. Yeasty dust sprinkles across the palate. Alcohol warming, then quite dry. A hint of numbing, with a medicinal note as part of the aftertaste.

There is a fair amount of carbonation, and there is some bite to it. It takes a while for it to become creamy, but it does. Medium bodied, goes down fairly easy, though the alcohol has quite a large presence. Interestingly, I did not find it to be as sweet as others - in fact I found it fairly well balanced, though it is of course sweet and malt-heavy.

From Notes: 1/5/09
Avery Brewing Co.
The Reverend
10% Alc.
22oz Bomber.

Appearance= vigorous pour into Allagash snifter yields a fat 2 finger off white head. Looks really good. Orange/redish color.

Smell= Sweetness, malt fo sho. Smells like a Belgian.

Taste=Sweet. Almost too sweet on the first couple of sips. Definitely gets better. Kind of complex taste, I like it! Balanced? I don't know about that. A lot going on.

Mouthfeel= Very nice. A little on the thicker side.

Drinkability= Not super high, great beer though. The Abv. and sweetness bring the drinkability down. I think it's a good example of the style.

2.23/5  rDev -42.2%

Chilled bomber into a glass.

A: Pours a clear amber color with amber highlights when held to a lamp. Has nice trails of bubbles up the side of the glass. Head is weak at best, pouring half a finger and receding immediately into the collar of death. No lacing down the glass.

S: A noticeable mustiness at first, but it recedes to the back after a few sniffs. Strongly dominated by fruit esters, such as orange, lemon, apricot, and maybe a light plum. The funky/musty yeast reappears at the end, as noted, but is complicated by a strong Belgian candy smell. A light alcohol nose.

T: Fruit lays down the groundwork, with a nice contrast between the tart acidity of orange/lemon and the light apricot sweetness. Musty yeast flavor defines the mid-palate, and it transitions into a spicy clove bite with strong Belgian candy sweetness at the end. Slight warming on the way down, but no burn. The aftertaste is a slick, musty yeastiness that really works against the beer.

M: Medium-bodied, even slightly toward the fuller side with a chewy texture. The carbonation is on the low side. The alcohol is well-masked.

D: I... don't know how to respond to this one. It's kind of like having a sandwich where the bread is on the inside and you have to eat the pepper separately. This has many of the right ingredients, and a lot of potential, but right now it's kind of just thrown together. With a little refinement, the rough edges on this beer could make it very good. Right now it's just decent. I won't buy this again soon, but if I hear the formula has been tweaked, I'll pick it up.

4.29/5  rDev +11.1%

This beer pours up a beautiful copper-amber, very clear, but has no head to speak of. There's not much if any lacing.

The smell is spicy with some pleasant fruit esters as one would expect from a triple.

Spicy (cloves mostly), sweet, fruity (somewhere between citrus and stone fruit and maybe some melon), creamy (almost buttery) and very carbonated.

I really enjoyed this beer.

Had a pint on-tap at the Avery Brewery tasting room. Felt a little bit like lightning might strike me down for drinking a beer named after a preacher. Luckily it was sunny and beautiful outside, and the beer tasted particularly delicious when juxtaposed with Boulder laid-back hippies and alternative transportation users.

On to the beer! Looks like clear dark honey. A nice ring of white foam. Smells like wild orange blossom honey and sugar, with Belgian yeast strain notes. Taste is spot on for an Americanized Quad. Sweet, almost cloying, with earthy bready qualities and a pronounced tangy alcohol finish. Mouthfeel is near creamy. With the ABV and immense sweetness, it's a bit of a sipper.

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

Appearance- Deep orange-amber with creamy head and lots of bubbles, light lacing

Smell- fruity and floral esters

Taste- Orange, sweet with bready malt flavors. ethanol warms upon swallowing. Overall fairly simple and clean flavors. Slight yeasty spice.

Mouthfeel- medium body with nice carbonation, warming sensation from alcohol is nice.

Drinkability- Pretty decent quadrupel, not the best, but definitely one I could have a few of.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
The Reverend from Avery Brewing Company