The Reverend - Avery Brewing Company

Hop Variety: Sterling
Malt Variety: Two-row barley, Aromatic malt, Cara-45, Cara-20, Special B
Sugars: Belgian Candy Sugar
OG: 1.085 ABV: 10.0% IBUs: 24 Color: Tawny
The Reverend, was created in tribute to the life of our friend Tom Boogaard’s grandfather, an ordained Episcopal Reverend. Tom was inspired by the life of his grandfather and wanted to create a tribute beer that contained his sterling traits. True to the spirit and character of the departed Reverend, this beer is strong willed, assertive, and pure of heart.

Our brewers included as many authentic imported Belgian specialty malts as they could, making this the perfect beer for folks who love malty beers and are ready to take the next step. A divinely complex and beautifully layered beer with hints of dark cherries, currants, and molasses, complimented by an underlying spiciness. Sinfully smooth considering the high alcohol content.

The Reverend is the second installment of “The Holy Trinity of Ales” series.

Food pairing: Try The Reverend with a gyro or paired with our favorite: steamed spicy saffron mussels.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-21-2002)
3.4/5  rDev -11.7%

A: 1 Pint 6 oz. Bomber, 10% Alc by Vol.

P: Bright amber pour that is crystal clear, lostof carbonation and two fingers of slightly off-white intense foam that finally settles to a hue cove and lacing.

S: Roasted grains, dough, slight sweetness and definite alcohol fumes in the nose.

T: Slightly thick sweet roasted malt and the distinct type of hops that announces that this is a Belgian at the end.

M: The slight syrup thickness is something that I am not accustomed to drinking. Not unpleasant but this style is a definite sipper that could, and probably should, last all day, afternoon or evening.

D: This is one that I would have to think about before ordering again. Understand, that this is a superior, well balanced drink. However, perhaps for someone that has a more experienced and sophisticated palate that I have at this point.

NitroGen, Dec 11, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -9.6%

Had a bottle of this to celebrate my son's 1st birthday (his name is Avery, but not because of the brewery!). However, due to various events, I only got to finish half the bottle - tried to refrigerate the rest, but it was gross when I went back to it 2 days later. What can you do?

Anyway, my experience with what I had wasn't too bad. Poured a mostly clear orangish amber (quads always look like Triaminic to me) with lots of lacing but very little head. Aroma backs up the Triaminic thing - sweet and sugary, with tangerine or orange notes. Some strong yeast notes as well. The flavour is much darker and more complex, with dark fruits, roasted malts, mild citrus overtones from the aroma, and not nearly as sweet as the aroma would have you expect. I found it pleasant when it was cooler, but actually somewhat unpleasant as it warmed. The aftertaste was both cloying and astringent, which I think was an effect of the high alcohol.

Honestly, I really need to give this one another go and maybe revise my review later.

crwills, Dec 02, 2007
3.58/5  rDev -7%

This bottle is from a lost box in the cellar. I'm guessing it to be an '03, give or take a year.

Appearance - pours a murky, dirty tangerine color. With some increased splash, a little head forms up but has no durability. There is a thin ring around the edge and some stray bubbles on top.

Aroma - a light fruity orange smell, along with toasted grain and candi sugar. An undertow of alcohol ester says 'take heed, all ye who enter the realm of the Reverend'.

Taste - the maltiness is there, not as prevalent as I would have thought though. Plenty of candi sugar sweetness. A late touch of citrus as alcohol begins to overrun the palate. Fairly smooth abv, but like many Avery beers, this one doesn't really hide it that well. The time in storage has made it better. The finish is a touch dry and quite warm.

Mouthfeel - comes across a little thin but not overly so. The carbonation is subdued, the two elements together create an overall thinness that lessens the body.

Drinkability - a sweeter quad, I'd probably enjoy it more at around 8%.

brewdlyhooked13, Nov 20, 2007
4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

I split a 22 ounce capped and red foil topped bottle provided by my BA beer buddy rdunham. It was poured into a frosted pint.

A: It poured a deep clean amber-copper body with an orange hue. A moderate pour generated a trace head that was off-white and consisted of small bubbles. The head fell fast leafing a lingering collar that supported a light to moderate lacing made up of slim and long legs.

S: There was a strong scent of light molasses spiced with apples and plums and yeast. The aroma of sweet alcohol also permeated the head as it receded.

T: The first swig revealed the flavors of a very sweet lightly roasted malts, ripe dark fruits, and freashly risen white bread. This was followed by a clean warm modest bitterness that dominated the back of the tongue and was reminiscent of green fruit (apples). As the swig left my mouth I felt the warming affect of the strong alcohol content which resulted in a clean and warm palate that only contains a hint of bitterness that soon dissipated.

M: It was a medium to full body brew with a creamy and sticky body that finished dry and modestly sour. The carbonation was minimal, however, a swirl of the pint glass generated a head equal to that produced by the pour so some inherent carbonation was present long into the drink.

D: This is not a session brew. It is strong ABV, heavy body and bold flavors make it a nice warmer brew for fall and winter or a pleasant sipping beer for after dinner or late at night. I will try to keep it in my stash and would love to taste it after it has a chance to mature.

Comment: I expected a more Trappist quad-like appearance and taste. It's difficult to compare this brew with the Trappists quadrupels, rather it is more in the class of the Bush quad which has a higher ABV but similar appearance a flavor. Both this and Bush are wonderful quads just not directly comparable to the special joy found in Rocheforts, Pannapots and their ilk.

dnichols, Nov 16, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured into a tulip glass. I tested out my fiancee's hypothesis that beer stored under our house had an off taste due to high storage temperature. I compared my Reverend with Ksullnh's purchased recently. Neither I nor Ksullnh could tell any difference.

A: Fizzy, one finger of head subsiding to a nice tan clean ring of lace. Bright ruby color, slightly hazy.

S: Candy apples, can't smell much else when it is cold. Alcohol smell becomes strong with warming.

M: Oily, smooth and bright - like little fish swimming down my throat! Clean.

D: High alcohol so one is enough, but I did have two to test out the theory.

dfillius, Nov 11, 2007
4.72/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of the finest from Avery Brewing Company, The Reverend, a kind and forgiving chap, is a terrific Belgian Quadrupel, full of spice and vim. At 10% ABV, look out, it packs a wallop that you can certainly feel in the second half of the bottle. The Reverend pours a rich head atop a brownish-red body, well presented. The smell and taste exude spice all the way, yet with a sweet taste that enmeshes very well with the spices. Hints of cherry and molasses, with a slightly roasted flavor, are present. Impressive all the way, and one of the best domestic Belgian-style brews in the US. Not to be passed up, and very high on my list.

Gehrig, Nov 11, 2007
3.63/5  rDev -5.7%

A 650 mL foil capped bottle.

A: The quad's color is hazy orange red, a blood orange look alike. The haze is somewhat misleading, as the ale's body appears rather thick and viscous. The head has left small patches around the glass but it does not retain. A visually appealing copper color emerges when held to a light source.

S: The aroma is dark candi sugar, sweet and malty, with a big spice profile. The alcohol is intensely evident in the nose.

T: The upfront taste is harsh, tart green grape flavors (minus the sourness) with little hint of the candi sugars or spices. Alcohol is evident early on, nearly overwhelming any spices. The aftertaste allows the spices and sugars to breathe: sweet with darker sugar notes, some cinnamin and dark fruits. The aftertaste is by far the highlight of the ale.

M: The initial mouthfeel is harsh before allowing a luxuriously thick aftertaste to bubble up.

D: The quad is a whopper, so one bomber is the perfect size for a late fall night.

akorsak, Nov 08, 2007
3.4/5  rDev -11.7%

Pours a darker red to me, I am somewhat color blind so take that as you may. Head quickly dissipates leaving just small traces. Somewhat strong aroma of cherries and I swear I am getting something like bbq sauce. Not kidding, even after different attempts at this one over a couple months, still there.

The first sip give the impression that it will be overpowering with sweetness and alcohol but it nicely eases into a smooth, almost barley wine taste. Good.

Overall it's not bad. For sure not in the top % of Quad's but well done, diff. The 10% is somewhat hidden in here, this one goes down way to quick.

lonestar4lunch, Nov 06, 2007
3.73/5  rDev -3.1%

Purchased in Boulder, CO in 2/2004 and flown to Buffalo (back when you can take beer on a plane). Cellared until 11/2007.

Not too much of an aroma, slight sweet grape smell.

Taste is very nice - alcohol is very present yet balanced with candy sugar, honey, and vanilla.

This beer leaves a nice long lasting creamy aftertaste.

Overall, a solid quad that aged well.

jrjohnso, Nov 02, 2007
3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

Had this at Z Cucina with Adam Avery. It was an evening of pairing delicious food with two beers at each course. Great food, and great beer!

Pours a dark bronze color with a creamy white head, with a little lacing. Smell is of candied sugar, some grape/wine aroma, dried fruit, and some slight yeasty. Taste is honey, some spice, and sweet malt. Mouthfeeling is thick and smooth. Very nice quad and very smooth.

genog, Oct 23, 2007
3.58/5  rDev -7%

Pours a coppery orange with a little whitish head. Little lacing. Slight chill haze. Sweet aromas of malts and a little caramel. Some fruitiness and a little alcohol detected. Taste is similar, but a little tart. Mouthfeel is a little lacking. I would expect it to be a little thicker on the palate for a quad, butdtill an alright beer. For $5 I might be drinking some more of this in the future. Its sure no St. Bernardus Abt 12, but still a decent brew.

domtronzero, Oct 23, 2007

Serving Type: 1pt and maybe 6fl oz? Nice large bottle none-the-less

Appearance: While cold it appears a very hazy gold but as it warms it's a mostly clear gold colour. Oddly enough no head while very cold but as it warms a very nice 2 finger head w/ plenty of lacing.

Smell: Very sweet dark fruit smell w/ a touch of apple.A touch of caramel as well....very sweet overall

Taste/Mouthfeel: A nice complex beer. A bit of sweet stickyness that lets the taste linger in your mouth. Dark fruit and caramelized sugar also comes up front. A touch of spice and some big malt make this rather enjoyable. A bit sweet though. Ends w/ a touch of bite from the alcohol which makes it quite nice . As it warms I get a touch of vanilla too

Drinkability: If you don't mind sweet beers this is quite nice. 10% alcohol makes it even better, in my opinion at least :)

It's worth noting that I recommend this beer as it warms up. Drink it while it is to cold and you will miss out on a lot of the complexity of the beer

livingregret, Oct 22, 2007
4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

First of all let me say that I fear the big Belgian beers. Beer drinkers (real ones) tend to like complexity, and based on that I can see why Belgian-style beers are considered the best beers in the world by some.

Maybe I have a poor sense of smell but I don't get much from this one... and I actually poured it into a glass this time.

The taste... well, there's a lot going on, at least to me. There is definitely a sticky sweetness, both in terms of taste and texture. There are some spicy/fruity notes that I have a harder time discerning, but they're definitely there. Someone with sharper senses could probably pick it out.

The alcohol definitely makes its presence known with an almost medicine-y finish. Overall it was a very interesting experience. In a good way. I look forward to more beers of this type.

sopclod, Oct 22, 2007
3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a fairly light, slightly cloudy amber with orange highlights around the edges. Virtually no head or carbonation, and no lacing at all. Doesn't really look like any other quad I've had.

Nose is real heavy on the candied sugar. It is really sweet with some fruity esters coming through. Also some caramel malts with just a hint of yeast and alcohol.

Candied sugar and caramel malts dominate the taste, with a little bit of dark fruits. It's a little yeasty in the back of the throat. There's some sour notes near the end, finishing with a bite of alcohol that warms the throat.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and little creamy. It goes down pretty smoothly.

Not a bad quad, but not one of the best I've had. With the ABV I wouldn't have more than one at a time, but it is a beer that I would revisit in the future.

MrMonkey, Oct 21, 2007
4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

A- Dark gold, little or no head - thin ring around the edge of the glass.

S- Mild esters, slightly fruity, grape(?)

T- Malty, estery and slightly phenolic. Rich.

M- Smooth and rich body with alcohol warming on the finish.

D- Very drinkable. I find this best with several months to a year+ aging.

Very enjoyable. While not boasting what I'd call a true 'Belgian' profile, it is a very good beer.

fartingdog, Oct 18, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

Amber in color. Toffee, caramel and light fruit aroma. Tan lacey head. Sweet and smooth. Sugar filled with not much of a hint of alcohol. Very good for an American twist on this classic style of beer that the Belgian people have perfected. Avery rarely disappoints and this is another example of why they are a great brewery.

KAF, Oct 18, 2007

Thanks Vintage for the hookup...

Served in my favorite Chimay goblet, my second time trying this beer. Came away pretty impressed, Avery is a good brewery and I give them credit for one, brewing a Quad and two, coming up with the end product that is the Reverend. He looks pretty evil on the bottle and once you put a bottle of this down, you will know he was up to something good...

A--Deep orangish-red, a decent amount of head and lacing.

S--Sweet aromas come from this...Raisin? Apricot?Apple? It has a very nice aroma.

T--Nice...very flavorful with a nice twinge of sweet to even out the strong alcohol finish.

M--Smooth

D--Like Quads in general, you have to watch it or you will find yourself talking to goblins and stubling around. That is what happened to me during my first encounter with this beer. If you enjoy Quads and wish more American Micros made the type, this is worth a sample...

garbercury, Oct 16, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

The is one of the few domestic Belgians I've ventured upon and what an interesting experience it was last night. I have to admit, Avery's graphic artists are a wonder and in the case of this quad, I wanted to try it out not only because of the style, but the demonic looking reverend on the label disdainfully gazing at me drew me in.
This bomber pours with the thinnest of heads into my Leffe stemmed goblet. A bit suprising given the style. Coppery color, but very clear. No evidence of yeast. The aroma was heavy on the candy sugar. Swirl this stuff around and the alcohol wafts from the glass. Nice. The taste presents notes of vanilla and caramel with some citrusy esters in the background. Finish is slightly bitter and a suprising rush of cherries appears. What a fasinating combintation. Lots going on here on every level. The mouthfeel improves with warming and really shalacks the tongue with candy sugar and alcohol. Very tasty. This is a sipper intended to be enjoyed at home or at a bar where cabs are available or within walking distance to home since the 10% abv packs a mighty wallop that creeps up on you.
"Created by God. Feared by Satan. Loved by all." Indeed.

jim102864, Oct 14, 2007
4.18/5  rDev +8.6%

This is my second time "trying out" this beer. The evil looking Reverend on the bottle should suggest something about the beer. He looks like he's gonna kick your ass, and he certainly does! At 10% he'll lay waste to you, and you'll enjoy his ass kicking! Maybe it's not THE best Belgian, but, it's pretty damn good, and usually not that expensive either. A bomber ran me like $6 or $7 in Atlanta. Bang for the buck and great taste, mouthfeel... well worth it!

unibrew, Oct 09, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a chalice. Decent initial head that fades after a little while. Still stirs into a decent head after a while.

Smell of apple phenol. I LOVE APPLE PHENOL SON. Candy like smell with a lot of undertones and some caramel malt. Damn. I'm impressed.

Nice mouthfeel. This beer is just awesome.

Taste is slightly candy like. Has a slight apple undertone with some caramel malts, belgian funkiness and slight hop bitterness. I noticed the alcohol at 10%, but it wasnt' overbearing. My first quadrupel. I look forward to my westveletern now. Very nice style of beer. Nice upfront sweetness with good alcohol and slight hop finish. MMM. good beer.

Clings to the palate well. Very nice

I ran out of my bomber fast and wanted more. That says something doesn't it?

jasonjlewis, Oct 07, 2007
3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from a 22 oz to a pint glass

Appereance: Orangish red, a good looking beer, it wowed me

Smell: Malty greatness, sweet

Taste: Tons of malt up front and mellows towards the back

Mouthfeel: Creamy, thick

Drinkability: It is a big beer so it's one and done with this stuff, meal in a bottle, but could anything less be expected, I don't think so

I really enjoyed this beer and I recommend it to everyone

Badgersno1, Oct 06, 2007
3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

22 oz bomber poured into a Duvel tulip. Cream head doesnt hold long. Smells of Belgian candy sugar and Belgian Yeast phenols, candy, maple notes. Mouthfeel is smooth and slightly syrupy. Taste is slightly hot and phenolic (which i personally dont mind at all) that sometimes comes with a high abv beer. This is really a solid example of an American style quad. The flavors are very pleasingly sweet and smooth but not deeply complex The hop schedule is more apparent than an authentic Belgian quad. In fact, this offering is more like a 3.5 in between a tripel and a quadrupel with its golden orange color. A very solid example of an American style Belgian Quad and a highly enjoyable beer. As far as drinkabilty goes, I personally could put down a couple of these bombers and feel all nice and warm. Good job Avery!

lifeboyq, Oct 05, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

My first purchase from the new Liquor Loft in Tallahassee. Poured into my De Garre Snifter whilst watching the Red Sox in the playoffs.

It pours a medium dark amber that is fairly transparent. Seems a lot lighter than a Quad, but still looks good. It poured a pretty good head, that had nice lacing.

Nice aroma of dark fruit and malt. A very big aroma ... big and creamy (can aroma be creamy). The smell of plums or raisins are present as the beer warms ... yogurt covered creamy raisins. Very nice

A very malty beer, that is balanced by a faint bitterness. The fruitiness of the belgian yeast is apparent, but faint. The alcohol presence is very well subdued in this beer despite it being 10% abv. A nice beer, but it finishes with the taste of Robitussin. Oddly enough the cough syrup taste subsided as the beer warmed, but it was not welcomed nonetheless.

A very creamy full moutfeel. This beer seems to envelope the tounge without being too heavy or syrupy. Nice.

This beer had some great aspects. The slight medicinal taste hurt the drinkability, but this beer had many other redeeming qualities and the bomber went down easy.

IPAcraig, Oct 04, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Finally, we can get Avery in San Francisco.

22 oz bomber pours a rich copper hue. Nice carbonation with streams of tiny, tiny bubbles. Sweet malt aroma, candied fruit, mild hops. Despite their disparate origins, the aroma kind of reminds me of DFH burton baton.

I love the taste. Rich, sweet, caramelly flavor does a good job of balancing the alcohol.

Mouthfeel is smooth and not excessive.

waltonc, Sep 27, 2007
4.2/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer surprised me, but then I am learning and welcome surprises like this. Having a friend (Thanks Mark) turn me on to Avery's Maharaji, I had to see what other Avery releases were like.

It poured a rich amber color, with a light golden head. After the Maharaji I wondered if there was going to be a big surprise in an unexpected flavor coming through, but it was much more subtle. I detected a slight smell of banana, but not very strong. I also got this feeling in the taste, plus a richness of berries, even without a true berry taste. It had a very rich taste that I found very drinkable, somewhat like cognac. This was a keeper.

Figgy, Sep 25, 2007