The Reverend - Avery Brewing Company

Hop Variety: Sterling
Malt Variety: Two-row barley, Aromatic malt, Cara-45, Cara-20, Special B
Sugars: Belgian Candy Sugar
OG: 1.085 ABV: 10.0% IBUs: 24 Color: Tawny
The Reverend, was created in tribute to the life of our friend Tom Boogaard’s grandfather, an ordained Episcopal Reverend. Tom was inspired by the life of his grandfather and wanted to create a tribute beer that contained his sterling traits. True to the spirit and character of the departed Reverend, this beer is strong willed, assertive, and pure of heart.

Our brewers included as many authentic imported Belgian specialty malts as they could, making this the perfect beer for folks who love malty beers and are ready to take the next step. A divinely complex and beautifully layered beer with hints of dark cherries, currants, and molasses, complimented by an underlying spiciness. Sinfully smooth considering the high alcohol content.

The Reverend is the second installment of “The Holy Trinity of Ales” series.

Food pairing: Try The Reverend with a gyro or paired with our favorite: steamed spicy saffron mussels.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,662 | Reviews: 802
4.79/5  rDev +24.1%

Das ist ein gutes bier! I'm still sipping on it, and it's a pleasure. I don't typically get too impressed with Belgian style ales, but this is great stuff. This is my third try at an Avery brewed beer, and I'm impressed with this brewery. Anyhow, here's how I feel about "The Reverend."

Pours with lots of CO2, but doesn't retain much head. The body is almost clear dark golden amber in color and the head lasts for about 3 to 4 minutes, but eventually it totally loses all cranium.

Easily I could smell this ale as I poured it into my glass from the 23oz bomber. This has a quite floral fragrance from the ale yeast, and I can actually detect the presence of the higher content of alcohol.

To taste this is nothing like I've had in a long time. I've had real Belgian ale before when I lived in Germany, and this seems to be a genuine Belgian style product. Rich and full, it tastes about like it smells.

The alcohol content is initially perceivable, but as I'm about two thirds finished with my "sample", I don't feel the alcohol too much anymore. This is a bit thick in body.

Overall with the kick of flavor, fragrance, moderately thick body, and alcohol content, this is a nice reward to a long day at work.

TheSarge

4.76/5  rDev +23.3%

A - Pours a rich and unfiltered dark mahogany honey gold. Forms a half finger of quickly dissipating, slightly off wheat head. Little lacing left on glass.
S - Sweet alcoholic black cooked cherries, figs and plums, hops and notes of warm alcohol. T - Incredible. Sweet alcoholic black cherries, slightly bitter grape wine notes. Malts, slight tinge of warm caramel and a nice bubbly smooth mouthfeel. Surprisingly, no trace alcohol in the taste.
O - A damned fine and outstanding Belgian quad. One of the top three I've ever had to date and a must try for Belgian beer fans!
V - Purchased in a 22oz. bomber, medium/high value.

4.75/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of my regular favorites.

4.75/5  rDev +23.1%

The Reverend was one of the first big beers that I have ever enjoyed. I first drank it about 5 or 6 years ago, when it still had the wax cap covering. I just drank it last night, which was my first time in a long time. It has a beautiful orange color and a nice, sweet malty aroma. What I like the best about the Reverend is that it is very strong and complex, yet it is so enjoyable to drink. There is no harshness at all. I taste dates in the malt, but not overbearing. The hop profile is low, as it should be. This is a sneaky beer, in that you don't realize that you are drinking a 10% quadruple ale!

4.75/5  rDev +23.1%

This Belgium style quad is amber in color and has pronounced notes of caramel and dark fruit in the nose and initial taste, with a hint of spices and a brandy like character in the backbone. Well balanced and wonderfully complex, with a nice warming sensation from the alcohol.

4.74/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Fantastic quad. Drinking a 2011 vintage...

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
The Reverend from Avery Brewing Company