2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

The Reverend - Avery Brewing Company

The ReverendThe Reverend

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-21-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,399 | Reviews: 778 | Show All Ratings:
KajII

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

[Suggested Glassware: Trappist Glass]

The pour was a clear medium reddish brown with a small (less than 1 finger) khaki colored head, which reduced to a large puddle and collar and possessed awesome sheets of lacing that totally engulfed the entire glass.

The aroma was of toasted Belgian malts, light floral hops and a musty Belgian yeast with notes of candi sugar, molasses, coriander and dark fruit (black cherry, currant and raisons).

The taste was moderately sweet and extremely malty with hints of molasses and candi sugar early on, progressing with a mild yeast presence, a somewhat bold fruitiness and a light spicy ending. The flavor stayed with you for a decently long while following the swallow, with a fruity spiciness left to linger on for a while longer.

Mouthfeel was somewhere in between light and medium in body with a thin creamy texture and a nice lively carbonation.

Overall this was a really good tasting beer, which had a good bold fruitiness along with a nice malty sweetness and a touch of spice, making it very enjoyable and easy to drink. Definitely a fine well rounded brew...

04-11-2013 19:16:01 | More by KajII
TheBrewo

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

We pour a brew of the deepest burnt sienna coloring. It holds a one and a half finger tall head of creamy, chunky beige bubbles, showing excellent retention. This leaves fat patches and rings of lacing down the glass. There is a thick chill haze to the clarity, and waves of microsediment bob about. Carbonation appears to be light. The nose is hugely bready, with charred cornbread, faint molasses, sweet caramels, warmed toffee, and lactic milk chocolates. Mixing in with warmth is fusel booze, metallic yeastiness, spicy clove, almond nuttiness, raw vanilla bean, and massive banana esters. Our first impression is that the flavoring is just as sweet as expected, but also showed nice diacetyls that were absent through the aroma. As we sip, liquefied banana, bready esters, sopping wet wheatiness, raw booziness, cooked caramel, and sweaty saltiness start things off. Bittered yeast, mineral, and black pepper push to the peak, with added sweetness of brown sugar, creamy walnut, and pear skin. The finish comes with further sting of booze, those huge smoothing banana esters, faint echoes of cinnamon, vanilla ice cream, wheat, and burly phenolic clove. The aftertaste breathes of metallics, wheat, white flour, lemon juice, rock salt, clean caramel, banana esters, and mossy earthiness. The body is full and chewy, and the carbonation is medium, but with good prickle. Each sip has supreme slurp, cream, and froth, with nice finishing smack and pop. The mouth is thickly coated and cooled, with eventual, slow dryness creeping down the palate towards the gullet. The abv is big, but well hidden, and the beer drinks easily.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this brew was the massive inclusion of sweet, bready, banana esters. These dominated the aroma, likely to hide the booze, but did mix well with the otherwise hearty malt base, phenols, vanillas, and spice. The flavor followed in the same vein, but let through a bit more of that aromatic bitterness than sweetness. While this guy certainly preaches on the sweet side, he remains reasonable and always palpable for such a robust style.

04-09-2013 01:58:42 | More by TheBrewo
1Nrwyscotch

Wisconsin

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

Bottle poured into a chalice

A. It has a nice amber color with some cloudiness. A minimal head formed and lingered and left some lacing on the glass.

S. It smells like sweet tropical fruit and malt. It finishes with the some alcohol and the hint of a spice..

T. The taste is sweet caramel malt and that transitions into some light spice and warmth. It reminds me of less complex Goose Island Matilda.

M. It has a medium body with a little carbonation.

O. Its worth a try and if I ever go to Boulder Colorado I would try it again.

03-23-2013 00:13:30 | More by 1Nrwyscotch
quaybr

Colorado

3.86/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Served in a snifter.

Body is a deep bronze and burnt orange. An immense heads rests atop and doesn't leave quickly.

Smells of caramel malt and alcohol. This reminds me much more of a barleywine, being devoid of any complex notes.

Flavor is malty and alcoholic. Although tasty, this isn't too representative of a quad.

Mouthfeel is thick without being chewy. An oily, syrupy body carries the malts without lingering unpleasantly.

Even though this seems to deviate from the traditional quad, it's tasty and enjoyable.

03-10-2013 20:50:21 | More by quaybr
tdm168

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

Bottle purchased at Flying Saucer; split with jtd1969

A - amber with a thin, off white head that fades to a thin lacing

S - caramel, toffee, apple, pear, alcohol

T - caramel, baked apples, some sugar, alcohol

M - medium to full bodied but thin at times, well carbonated

This is a decent beer. The alcohol is noticeable, but that's fine for the style. The flavor and body are not nearly as full as I would have liked. There are some nice esters that come through that are pleasant but the big, maltiness that I would expect from a quad is missing. The thinness of the body also allows the booze to come through more than I would probably prefer. Overall, this is a nice beer, but certainly not a Quad I would return to.

03-09-2013 21:02:25 | More by tdm168
Chrysostom

1.98/5  rDev -48.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 1.75

EDIT: I tried another bottle of this, couldn't get past a few sips. Revised downward again. RE-EDIT: Yet another bottle. Ratings leveled off.

Bought this as a possible replacement for my standard $11-15 Trappist brews - Chimay, Rochefort, Westmalle, St Bernardus (not technically a Trappist...). The name was irresistible: "The Reverend" - I'm a Catholic seminarian. Thank you to Blacklick Wine & Spirits in Columbus, Ohio.

I had this essentially head-to-head with a St Bernardus Abt 12. Apologies for any errors in grammar forthcoming due to the above; I will attempt to keep my tenses and temporal clauses as precise and exacting as ever, being a theologian (of the Holy Trinity, not of beer, although I try).

Bomber poured in to a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours and excellent pure-red colour (not Wild I red, a good Irish red), but with no yeast or cloudiness whatsoever. The colour seems a bit off for a Trappist, although I may just be expecting the cloudiness. I expect yeast cloudiness from an Abbey ale or a Trappist. I mark it down a full point and then some for thus, and the lack of yeast may also impact my perception of the flavour negatively. However, lacing is superb.

S: Does not fit in category. It smells more like an alcohol Yuengling or Killian's Red with a little fruit or cherry in it than it smells like the exemplar of the Quadrupel style, which is to me the excellent Rochefort 10 or St Berny's 12. Does not smell as alcoholic as the 10% ABV would suggest. As it warms, it has a little more of a Belgian nose to it, but a wheat beer-reminiscent spicing or coriander smell also comes to the fore, and is unappetizing.

T: A strong malt predominates. As it warms, it acquires a bready characteristic, and a fruity characteristic, and a quite strong (to me, hater of wheat beers, pumpkin beers, and spiced beers, overwhelming) spiced characteristic, and begins to taste a little more Belgian (disregarding the spices). I can almost begin to believe it is "Belgian-style" at this point. (That sentence took me a good 30 seconds to type, so many typos it had.) I can, as it warms, see a glimpse of Belgian yeast. There's a bit of cherry present.

EDIT: Having this beer sober, it is OBVIOUSLY spiced with something, coriander and/or cinnamon, and it's not spiced subtly, leaving a reminiscence of wheat beer (I hate wheat beer) on the tongue. I was unable to finish my second bomber of this. I have revised my score downward accordingly: the taste is 2.5, generously. For style, compared to real Belgians, maybe a 1.75. Maybe.

M: The body is not nearly as thick or full as the St Bernardus Abbot 12 I had earlier, so I can not reliable judge if it is full-bodied or thin-bodied. (EDIT: It is of relatively weak body compared to other Belgians, and is quite acidic on the tongue due to heavy [over?] carbonation.) I've had St Berny Abt 12, Guinness Foreign Extra, and Duvel in a row, in that order, before this. Not one of those beers is known for its lack of body, but the body of this beer is more comparable to the pale Belgian Duvel than it is to either the Saint or to the Arthur (Guinness, Proprietor and Signer of Bottles). There is little alcohol presence. There is a little alcohol presence, but in no way does it come within a mile of the 10% on the label. It tastes less alcoholic than a BMC.

D: Poor. Too much spice/coriander/cinnamon character.

O: Based on style, compared to true Trappists, this is a poor beer with an off-putting spiced smell and taste which increases with warmth. Although it does not agree with my palate, some people like spiced beers: YMMV.

As I closed my review of Westmalle Dubbel with, "If this is in your glass, it is surely a special occasion, so drink it every day", I end this with saying, "This is a unworthy $7 replacement for $12 bottles of Trappist or St Bernardus; but let me drop the Reverend, and have the Pope". I'll stick to the real thing for $5 more per 750mL.

Or, "Let me have the Pope [St Berny Abt 12] and the other four Apostolic Patriarchs [Westmalle, Chimay, Rochefort, Orval]". (I've never had Westvleteren.)

I can not offer any specific recommendations on how to improve this brew, beyond DROP THE SPICING. I have heard rumors that Rochefort, etc. use spices in the production of their Quads: if they do, it is done with good balance, so that the beers do not taste spiced. The same can not be said here: the spice is loud and clear.

The "Nineteen" Tripel from Avery suffers the same spice problem, and was even more undrinkable. However, my friend, who is not a big beer drinker (although she has begun to like some craft beers, and I begin to find our tastes are opposed), absolutely loved both. I absolutely love Avery's Czar RIS. I've yet to see an American take on a Trappist which was worth drinking (although I've had only three, the aforementioned two and Brother Thelonious, which has an awesome label).

02-03-2013 05:15:21 | More by Chrysostom
DaveAnderson

4.04/5  rDev +4.9%

I'm not usually a fan of quads. I have had some that were sublime, but mostly, I find them a boozy, raisiny mess. But Avery is leaving MN for now, so I grabbed a bottle while I could. Bomber poured into a Darkness tulip.

My first impression is the color. This is much lighter than I remember. It's a clear amber with no haze. Head is moderate, pale, and persistent, with decent lacing.

It smells bready and sweet, with bananas and clove. When I pour vigorously, I catch a little pineapple and mango, too. The more I smell, the more I think of tropical fruits. But if I set it down for a few minutes and come back to it, it smells just like a mince meat pie.

It tastes a lot like that pie. But, zing! there's an unexpected spiciness on the tongue. And it's lighter and less sweet than promised by the nose. It's kind of good -- makes me regret all the years I have passed over this, as it graced the shelf.

But...I am not sure I want a whole bomber. Once again, I am reminded that Dave+quad=meh. That said, if I see any of these on the shelf, I may grab one for cellaring. I have known a quad or two that got better over time, and this one has promise.

02-01-2013 07:56:56 | More by DaveAnderson
MattyG85

4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a St. Bernardus goblet glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep and hazy brownish amber with some ruby red. Lots of bubbles stick to the glass. Only a little bit of off white head appears then quickly fades into a thin patchy layer. Leaves a decent amount of lacing.

Smell: A nicely malty, fruity, and spicy Quad aroma. Belgian yeast with some pepper and cinnamon spicing. Big scent of Belgian candied sugar and a little molasses. Toasted malts with big hints of caramel and toffee as well as some soft biscuit and cracker. Big dark fruit aroma with hints of dark cherries, grapes, raisins, plum, fig, dates, and currant. Also some subtle earthy hops in the background. Very solid smell.

Taste: Like it smells, malty and spicy with a big mix of dark fruit flavors. Belgian yeast with some pepper, cinnamon, and clove spices. Sweet candied Belgian sugar and a touch of molasses. Toasted malts with a big taste of caramel, toffee, and soft biscuit and cracker. Very juicy with a taste of dark grapes, cherries, fig, raisin, plum, dates, prune, and currants. Towards the finish is a light presence of earthy hops. A very good taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Creamy, juicy, spicy, and very smooth. Alcohol heat is hidden very well.

Overall: A very good American take on a Belgian Quad. Has all the malty dark fruit taste you look for in the style.

01-27-2013 07:33:09 | More by MattyG85
SolipsismalCat

4.08/5  rDev +6%

Poured into a snifter.

A: Moderately dark red-brown with two-finger, off-white, creamy, foamy head that lasted a couple minutes and left a nice film. Great lacing.

S: Dark cherries and plums. Spice and just a bit of alcohol.

T: Moderate sweetness and moderate bitterness. Bready. Spice, caramel and molasses. Alcohol at the end, which detracts.

M: Medium bodied with fizzy carbonation. Smooth and quite warm going down.

O: This is a good Quad. Looks nice and has a good feel to it. I like the smell of cherries too.

01-22-2013 03:02:11 | More by SolipsismalCat
BMMillsy

3.34/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a beautiful clear dark red, but without much head. Aroma of cherries, raisin, candy sugar. Very very sweet smelling. Lighter mouthfeel than expected, and very smooth. Sweet flavor with cherry and maybe a bit of banana. Slight alcohol warmth bur hides it nicely. This is a bit one dimensional and doesn’t really touch thr complexities I come to expect from a Quad. Almost like a very sweet and heavy dubbel. Not a bad beer, but there are better examples.

01-08-2013 17:12:38 | More by BMMillsy
chinchill

South Carolina

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

22oz bottle served in a pint glass. Pours a lovely deep red-amber color; clear with a modest but durable beige head. Complex aroma and flavor featuring dark fruit. Obvious Belgian yeast but not overly yeasty.

O: very enjoyable and rather easy drinking quad with well-hidden ABV.

01-01-2013 03:07:14 | More by chinchill
Maltmaiden

Alabama

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

A: Deep amber/brown. Tiny head that quickly goes to nothing.

S: Wow. Dark roasted caramel malts. Dark fruits: cherries and dates. Soem apricot. Floral hops. Some alcohol. Great smelling beer!

T: Malty caramel bready upfront. Molasses. Alcohol hits you at the end. Dark fruits throughout. Nicely balanced.

M: Soft and sticky. Full body. Ends with a sharpness on the tongue from the alcohol.

O: Very enjoyable but definitely a sipper. This style tends to be a little sweet for me (as is this beer) but I will enjoy polishing off the rest of my beer.

12-17-2012 20:50:26 | More by Maltmaiden
Ryan011235

2.73/5  rDev -29.1%

Deep caramel brown with tobacco and copper highlights. One finger head thickens briefly before dissipating to a washy skim and a clumping of loose bubbles. Impressive lace.

Molasses, raisins, figs, plums, toasted bread and mild yeast spice make for a balanced, even-keeled aroma that leans toward the earthy end of the spectrum. The flavor is even more earthy and bready. Dark fruits are minimal, as are the spices. Notions of alcohol are readily available. The breadiness works pretty well with the rather full body and moderate carbonation. The finish has a coating feel, but I don't mind it much in this case.

All in all, this isn't a bad beer, but it is far from an impressive quad. While I'll certainly finish the bottle, this is a good reason to stick with the tried and true.

12-17-2012 02:42:53 | More by Ryan011235
Docrock

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

From 22 oz bottle poured in to Chalice:

A - Rich Mahogany color, minimal head that dissapted quickly, lacing was pretty good.

S - Deep smell of ripe Figs and honey, the alcohol is present but not overpowering. Faint hint of the Belgian yeast, but an overall clean aroma.

T - Carmel, Figs and maybe Molasses, the alcohol is present but not indicative of the 10%. Slight bready aftertaste.

M - Warm in the mouth, carbonation a bit lacking for me but still enjoyable

O - A very solid beer, not quite up to par with Belgian Quads but I would drink again. Might like to try this one if on tap sometime..Will buy again.

12-12-2012 17:18:20 | More by Docrock
barleywinefiend

Washington

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

A: Poured a somewhat transparent dark red color with one inch of off white head and light carbonation. A dirty white cap clings top the edge of the glass.

S: Dark ruits, spices, cloves, floral notes, and light candy sugar. Fruit and spices mix nice together.

T: Tastes of spices, pepper, cloves, bananas, apples, fruity malts, light bready malts, and light alcohol. More spices than the nose. At times th aste seems to be a little muddy. Finish has a sharp booze sting, sweetness and a tad sticky

M: Medium to big body and lower carbonation. Pretty smooth here.

O - Overall a nice quad. Some nice fruit, especially in the nose, and pretty easy to drink for 10% ABV. Would have it again.

11-30-2012 15:37:53 | More by barleywinefiend
claspada

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a clear dark amber color with a small light beige head that recedes to leave some decent spotty lacing.

Aromas begin with toasted bready malts followed by a distinct Belgian phenolic and estery yeastiness. As it warms you get some notes of caramelized sugars and minimal alcohol coated dark fruits.

The tastes follow the nose with toasted bready maltiness coupled with caramel and molasses bitterness/sweetness combo. Then once again comes the Begian yeast esters. As it warms you get some boozy/fruit combo almost like a peach schnapps, with some fig and dried cherries.

The mouthfeel is medium-plus bodied with medium carbonation. The finish is sweet, fruity, and quite warming with emerging alcohol notes.

Overall this is a fine, respectable American take at the style, but comes up a bit short when stacked against the superior Belgian examples. A bit light in the darker caramelized maltiness which allows much stone fruit esters to come through. For the availability factor alone it is worth a go.

11-09-2012 15:06:46 | More by claspada
ubenumber2

Arkansas

3.43/5  rDev -10.9%

Served from a bottle , not much head , good lacing though , cloudy dark amber beer. Smells great , nice mouthful , just for me the taste wasnt there , not really bad , its drinkable , just not a beer I would ever buy again if given the choice of others , the price wasnt too bad , just not one of my favorites

11-07-2012 15:07:34 | More by ubenumber2
StoneTSR

Colorado

4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

APPEARANCE: This beer looks like a Barleywine, same color (mahogany) with a half-inch, off-white head that has decent retention. The lacing is also pretty good. This looks strong and pretty tasty.

SMELL: The aroma scream richness. Again, like a Barleywine, banana and clove are strong up front. Caramel, brown sugar and some dark fruits round out the nose.

TASTE: Caramel, molasses, brown sugar, banana, clove. Hmm...seems like a Barleywine except that there is a bigger dose of spiciness and a hint of an earthy funk to it. The sweet flavors from the malts cover up the booze quite nicely as well.

MOUTHFEEL: I don't say this about a craft beer ever, but this beer is practically begging you to chug. At 10% I certainly don't recommend that, but it is just incredibly easy drinking. It is sweet, but not too sweet and seems to set the palate up perfectly for that next sip every time. Medium body along with a medium carbonation makes this a smooth, creamy beer that goes down easy.

OVERALL: I am very happy that I took the time to review this beer. It is something I have enjoyed in the past, but never really focused on and I think it goes underappreciated as one of Avery's stronger efforts. I look forward to experiencing this one again in the very near future.

10-30-2012 20:34:26 | More by StoneTSR
DrDemento456

3.65/5  rDev -5.2%

A - Not a bad pour head being a minimal 1/4 inch of opaque colored goodness and a sticky moderate lacing. Color is a hazy yet clear dark amber brown.

S - Smells of fusel alcohol, mild dark fruits, hops (which kind of caught me off guard), and malty caramel.

T - Not as bad as say Weyerbacher quad but still very one note. Dark fruits then quickly to Belgium fruity yeasts and a mild hop finish. Like I said not very complex (I guess if I were to pick a fruit it would be dates?) but it's not bad either.

M - Pretty spot on for the style no alcohol burn and yet it's still very much a sipper.

Overall not really the best beer I picked up from Avery but it's not a bad take on the style. I would much rather have a hog heaven.

10-02-2012 03:30:42 | More by DrDemento456
chanokokoro

2.9/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a goblet

Pours a deep dark maple syrup-colored amber. Hardly any head at all even after a fairly aggresive hard pour. The litttle head there is disappears in seconds and leaves a very faint foam ring. Obviously, no lacing. Faint aroma of candi sugar, raisins, fig and spice on the nose. Accents of all of the aspects mentioned as part of the nose present in the taste plus some biscuit and very distinguishable alcohol. Absolutely no depth to the taste at all, somewhat bland. Overall, I'm not a big fan. There was no head and a barely above average mouthfeel. One of the least complex quads I've had. I have really enjoyed what Avery has to offer, however, I'll pass on The Reverend in the future.

09-22-2012 05:11:17 | More by chanokokoro
JMad

I drank this from a glass goblet...

The beer pours a medium brown color with red hues and a thin off white head that quickly faded. Smells of raisin, clove and candisugar with a hint of banana, very aromatic. Tastes warm and alcoholic with some dark fruits, banana, and clove. The feel is nice and thick with low carbonation and a strong finish. This is a strong quad, a little age would probably do it some good, I would drink this again but wouldn't buy a bottle without putting it away for at least a year.

09-07-2012 03:24:16 | More by JMad
SHODriver

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

12045B1 batch
A: poured into a snifter to a deep brown with a small and short lasting off white head that leaves a collar around the glass
S: smells of dark fruits, some alcohol soaked cherries, candi sugar and some caramel
T: tastes of caramel, dark fruits, a little cherry, and candi sugar. aftertaste has a bit of alcohol and some more dark fruit flavor
M: medium to full, not overly viscous with some nice soft carbonation
O: good flavors and some nice complexity. pretty good but there are some better beers for the style

09-06-2012 03:35:10 | More by SHODriver
RussBecker1

3.85/5  rDev 0%

At this point in my tasting career, Avery Brewing Company has always intrigued me. Respectfully they step out of many peoples comfort zones, choosing to highlight some very different undertones that others will steer away from. Needless to say Avery is not for everyone in my opinion, and it is not a good stating point when attempting to dive into a new style of beer.

That being said, the reverend proved to be a very intriguing mix of spice and flavor that I would not normally expect from a quad. despite the huge nose this beer possesses the consistency was a little to thin and thus the alcohol does mask some of the flavors that the drinker knows is there, but simply cannot get enough out of them to identify. Upon drinking the ale however, the deep fruits meld nicely with the alcohol, and the drinker is left with an interesting earth aftertaste that I have never seen in a quad. The problem however is it is almost too earthy as you soon forget the first notes of the beer, leaving you with a dry bitterness that if eased up on would be rather nice, but sadly it was a hint too much. Interesting nonetheless.

09-02-2012 23:07:17 | More by RussBecker1
UCLABrewN84

3.65/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a clear dark copper-orange with a foamy beige head that settles to an oily film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, brown sugar, dark fruits, yeast, and some spice aromas. Taste is much the same with a mild spice finish and a slight alcohol kick with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that smells better than it tastes in my opinion.

09-01-2012 02:31:04 | More by UCLABrewN84
AdamHart22

2.8/5  rDev -27.3%

Poured into tulip.

Asolutely no head at all. Poured aggressively. Possibly bad bottle? Color is a mahogany red.

Smells like fig newtons crossed with brown sugar. Nice.

The taste is quite mellow. For a 10 percent abv it drinks like a 5. I get figs, honey, and a touch of sweat tea.

Mouth is normal, leaves a sweet taste and is probly my favorite part of the beer.

Overall, I expected more taste from a quadrupel. It is possible my bottle was bad, but for the price I expected more.

08-19-2012 00:40:16 | More by AdamHart22