The Beast Grand Cru 2004 - Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  18.10% ABV

Beer added by: clvand0 on 10-27-2004

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 50 | Reviews: 37
3.76/5  rDev +7.1%

4.25/5  rDev +21.1%

3.5/5  rDev -0.3%

4.5/5  rDev +28.2%

3.48/5  rDev -0.9%

Ratman brought this one over to my house for my birthday last friday, and after splitting a bomber of batch 1 (along with a few others) with him a couple months back, and regretting it until about 5 pm the following night, I was glad we had a few more tasters for this one. Nonetheless, this was a very formidable beer. Pours a dark, hazy amber color with a smallish white head. Huge alcohol in this one, both on the nose and on the palate, along with dark brown sugar, dark fruits, caramel and alcohol. Lots and lots of alcohol. This one is still pretty hot, even 6 years later. This one hasn't calmed down like batch 1 has. Still, it is very enjoyable.

2.16/5  rDev -38.5%

This was an appropriate beer to review as this is my 666th beer review. The first time I had this beer in 2004 it was a sink pour. Just too dammed much to handle. I was curious what 5 years of cellaring would do to this beast. The beer started out chilled and was allowed to warm to room temperature. The beer was served in a wide mouthed wine goblet.

Appearance: The body of the beer poured a hazy reddish brown coloration. The head was short lived but expected to live a short time due to 18%.

Smell: The smell of the beer was the best part of this experience: The beers aroma was of booze fueled apple cider, mixed berries, honey, butterscotch, caramel, vanilla, grapes, raisins soaked in rum, a bit nutty, slieghtly toasted character and very spicey alcohol. I was pretty psyched up by the aroma.

Taste: Someone put fucking Popov Vodka in my beer! What the fuck? I really wish this tasted more like the aroma. Its not even close. I am tasting a bit of sweet vanilla and butterscotch at the begining. This fades immediately into an astringent alcohol burn. Gak!... Looking for some cheap booze to get the taste out of my mouth. I allowed the beer to warm all the way to room temperature and even then the experience wasnt good.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: Astringent, boozey in a bad way. Alcohol is still hot as hell after 5 years of cellaring!... Very little in terms of flavor. This beer upset my stomach. I would have prefered drinking Nyquil Schnapps. Sadly I have another bottle left. I will give it another 5 years + in my basement.

3.35/5  rDev -4.6%

I've had this beast sitting in my beer fridge aging for at least a year or two - let's call it two because it could be longer. I don't remember where I got it - either Indiana or under the table here in Ohio - it is too strong for regular Ohio sales.

It's kind of dark and cloudy, like the skies around here in the winter (lake effect). I am drinking it not very cold. The flavor is very strong, sweet, hoppy. Nasty.

It reminds me of Dogfish Head 120, which is a similar huge beer, but it is SO much better that this.

So now I see that this is no longer available. Good riddance. I wouldn't want to buy it again. I suppose I will get a serious buzz from this.

4.12/5  rDev +17.4%

10/12/08- Purchased at Sun Devil Liquors in Mesa, AZ.

Presentation- 22oz bottle, vintage 2004, 18.1 abv at $9.99. Poured into my Alesmith tulip.

Appearance- Deep chestnut in color. 1/4 inch head on pour. Light bubbly rim of a head reamins for a few minutes. Leaves very light lace markings...expected from such a high octane beer.

Smell- Lots of woody age notes...not sure if it's oak or not. Alcohol obviously and a handful of dark fruits, roasted caramel malt and some hoppy notes as well. Very nice nose, especially as it warms to room temp.

Taste- At first sip, it really didn't seem like 18%...maybe 13 or 14 or so, but then the alcohol burn set it. As it warmed to room temp, the alcohol burn wore off, but you could now tell the 18% was no lie. Many dark fruits including plums and definite raisins. Caramel malt flavors and a still rather strong hoppy aspect. Bourbon like flavor with some oak and touches of vanilla.

Mouthfeel- Lower carbonation level, extremely warming and full mouthfeel that felt like cough syrup on the first sip. Mild hoppy and alcohol aftertaste.

Drinkability- I'm sure gald they make these in 12oz botles now. I have to admit though, the 18% would have been nice if they would have kept it. Shared this bottle with my friend and it took a good half of football to drink my 11 oz or so. Has many hard alcohol aspects, but you can definitely tell this is beer rather than liquor unlike Utopia's. An extreme sipper that is a perfect candidate for a winter night by the fire.
Really enjoyed it and will try the new 12oz format if I find it.

Thanks goes out to Vermonthiker for this brew.

22oz. Bomber
Red Foil

Poured into a tulip a nice brown/amber color, nice carbonation, very nice two-finger fizzy off-white head, which leaves some minimal sticky lacing behind. The nose is malty, slightly spicy, some figs/plums/raisins, and caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, the dark fruits pop-in, and some caramel. Medium body, the alcohol is fairly present on this one, but drinkable. Drinkable, another tasty brew from Avery. Thanks Tom.

3.12/5  rDev -11.1%

'Bottled in 2004'. I've had this sitting around for a while, decided to enjoy it tonight. It pours a rich mahogany color, mostly clear, with a moderate initial head that fades fairly quickly. It has a very rich fruity aroma, reminiscent of ripe sweet cherries, with a herbal hoppy nose underneath. Flavor is quite sweet, despite a huge bitterness... it depends upon where you roll the beer upon your tongue. No balance at all, plus the medicinal alcohols are quite apparent throughout. Body is thick, almost syrupy.

Bleagh, by no means a pleasant beer (it borders on disgusting), nor a very interesting (though it does smell nice!).

4.32/5  rDev +23.1%

Batch # 2, at 18.1% abv.
Appears a cloudy, dense amber with a small off white head that slowly fades out into a collar. Small spots of lace are left around the glass but washed away by the oily looking concoction upon the sips.
Smell is of rich caramel, yeasty bread, cherries, tropical fruit, raisins, and dough.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with a warm, fruity, and doughy taste that is full of rich, sugary malt and plenty of fruity Belgian yeast that's been made happy by the sugar and temperature.
Moutfheel is full and warming, much to the effect of a barleywine but what do you expect at over 18% abv? She's definitely a sipper, much like the other monsters of ale brews that Avery made. I'm glad I split the 22 ouncer with egajdzis and my bro-in-law. Potent and yummy but look out.

4.15/5  rDev +18.2%

Thanks to kbub6f.

Allready tried the 2005... this is better, but much more dangerous!

Poured into an oversized wine glass a very clear reddish orange with a very small off-white head. The head thinned out but stayed leaving a slight lacing in the glass.
Smellls much like the first one I tried. Raisin and date aromas, but with a bit more of a spicy tone... not quite hoppy spice, but more like corriander. Although this Beast had a higher ABV (18.10%), the smell wasn't as noticable.
Strong raisins and dates. Not so much honey flavor as the 2005, but much more of a caramel backbone. The flavors are strong, but fairly well balanced. There is a coriander spice as well as hop spice and bitterness that strengthens as the beer warms. Again, a truly a complex onslaught of flavors.
Syrupy mouthfeel but a better carbonation level than the 2005. Much more crisp. Goes down quite easy, but heed warning... There's alot of alcohol in this bad boy. Sip it. Split a bomber with a friend. If you can find one, I recommend giving it a try.

2.11/5  rDev -39.9%

Sure enough, the last bottle of 2004 Beast on the shelf! Here we go!

Cracked red foil opened with a *fwsk!* Pours with a clear sunset red with a single line of bubbles rising, to a non-existant headcap curled up as a corner grabbing tiny ring.

Fusel nose of gin, brown sugar and cotton candy. (I just invented a drink!)

First swigs: Two years in the hole and this still tastes like rocket fuel and isopropyl with cherry juice.

Feel is mocked by a ton of sugary residual linger.

Last swigs: Cherry and vodka. Here is a compliment: This is a sipper. Like a Fear Factor cocktail. With the high octane 18% ABV, this awl-kee-hawl boozer goes back like vodka with cherry soda. I heard the rumors and I guess they are true. Somebody give me something to chase this with...like tequila. I took one for the team here.

Beer is good. Is this beer? Happy bering.

3.91/5  rDev +11.4%

This is a 22oz bottle which, I think, I scored at the 2005 BA Extreme Beer Fest. 18.1% abv? Whoa!! Careful now....

Into the goblet it goes.... clear, garnet/ruby colored... beauteous!! Actually produced a bit of head to start, yet basically thins to a rim-job of bubbles around the edge of the gob. Has a few spots of carbonation rising slowly and steadily within. Not much lace to speak of, though. Took a whiff of this, and... ouch! Hot!! Is this bier, or a shot of liqueur? Does seem to be some dark fruit under there, somewhere.... Body? Oh yeah, body. Medium, as far as I can tell. And fairly smooth, for something this hot. Yeah, hot...

Did I say hot? Didn't take long for the warmth to hit the belly after passing over the palate. Could trace a path down the esophagus as it went south. Has a fruitiness present, though in a somewhat sour-ish manner. Raisins and grapes, perhaps? Really hard to detect what, if anything, the hopping adds to this Beast. Some sweetness, like burnt brown sugar, did show up, though the fruit aspect was much more evident. Except the alcohol. Did I say hot? Quite warm, to say the least... In general, I like the flavor... pleasurable yet understated fruitiness, though the abv dominates, imo. Ya know, the more I drink of this, the less I feel the heat, and more I get the flavor. That 18% abv is not really so bad... detracts more from the aroma than anything.

Prosit!!

overall: 4
appearance: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | mouthfeel: 4 | drinkability: 4

3.7/5  rDev +5.4%

The beer poured into the glass crystal clear amber with an off-white and persistent head which lasted well to lace the glass.

The aroma was strong with a malty and caramel impression coupled with fruity aromatics of raisins and plums. The fruit was circumvented by a highly spicy alcohol phenolic. The spice not attributed to alcohol was a nice but very low blend of coriander and cinnamon from Belgian yeast.

The flavor was strongly spicy with a graham cracker breadiness and a very strong fruit character of raisins and plums with prunes. The flavor was hot with alcohol and phenolics of spice that last and last in the flavor and really found no stopping point. The malt flavor was caramel coupled with a strong biscuit flavor. The beer was not overly sweet and bittering was present at a high level keeping the malt flavors in check enough so the flavor was not cloying. Nothing in the flavor was subtle and the flavors are never restrained.

The finish was eventually dry, but intially just off dry with a long lingering biscuit and spice well into the aftertaste and beyond. The body was full and viscous and the carbonation level moderate. The alcohol level in this one makes it difficult to consume. Very much a sipping beer with so high an ABV level and so much warming after consumption.

This one truly was a beast. Tread lightly, bring a friend for support so you don't get bit.

22 ounce bottle. $10 at Wine Warehouse about a year ago. Had this one at a Pop The Cap event and had to purchase a bottle for myself.

3.08/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I guess from time to time, a brewer has to go here just because they can. I appreciate the attempt and creativity, just not the finish product. I can imagine antifreeze tasting much like this. The beer pours nicely copper to deep golden, holds a loose knit head that lingered well. Had low level lacing, but showed good legging. Aromas are of obvious alcohols, but also of deep ripened fruits: peaches, cherries, plumbs, and a little nuttiness. Flavors show more. Begins nicely sweet (brandy-like) with good hop flavors. The body is sticky sweet, but the finish is where it hurts. The fusal alcohols are so rough and dominant, that all other flavors and character becomes void and easily forgotten. I beleive that I'll set a bottle or two back for my grandchildren to sample. It may smoothen out to drinkable in about a hundred years.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
The Beast Grand Cru 2004 from Avery Brewing Company