The Beast Grand Cru 2004 - Avery Brewing Company

good

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  18.10% ABV

(Beer added by: clvand0 on 10-27-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
sacfly

Maryland

1.75/5  rDev -49.7%

Pours red with a white head that dies off almost instantly. Smells sweet and of alcohol. Taste is.. ugh. Alcohol.

I used to think Ralph Wiggam on the Simpson’s comment “Tastes like burning” was a funny line. Not anymore. I know exactly what he was talking about now. Nothing pleasant about the taste.

The impressive ingredients list on the bottle seemed interesting, but it is a struggle to get past the alcohol burn in the mouth, throat and stomach. If you buy this, let it age for a long time. Years. Very unpleasant right now.

11-09-2004 22:00:44 | More by sacfly
nlmartin

2.03/5  rDev -41.7%

This was an appropriate beer to review as this is my 666th beer review. The first time I had this beer in 2004 it was a sink pour. Just too dammed much to handle. I was curious what 5 years of cellaring would do to this beast. The beer started out chilled and was allowed to warm to room temperature. The beer was served in a wide mouthed wine goblet.

Appearance: The body of the beer poured a hazy reddish brown coloration. The head was short lived but expected to live a short time due to 18%.

Smell: The smell of the beer was the best part of this experience: The beers aroma was of booze fueled apple cider, mixed berries, honey, butterscotch, caramel, vanilla, grapes, raisins soaked in rum, a bit nutty, slieghtly toasted character and very spicey alcohol. I was pretty psyched up by the aroma.

Taste: Someone put fucking Popov Vodka in my beer! What the fuck? I really wish this tasted more like the aroma. Its not even close. I am tasting a bit of sweet vanilla and butterscotch at the begining. This fades immediately into an astringent alcohol burn. Gak!... Looking for some cheap booze to get the taste out of my mouth. I allowed the beer to warm all the way to room temperature and even then the experience wasnt good.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: Astringent, boozey in a bad way. Alcohol is still hot as hell after 5 years of cellaring!... Very little in terms of flavor. This beer upset my stomach. I would have prefered drinking Nyquil Schnapps. Sadly I have another bottle left. I will give it another 5 years + in my basement.

09-04-2009 20:56:29 | More by nlmartin
blitheringidiot

2.08/5  rDev -40.2%

Sure enough, the last bottle of 2004 Beast on the shelf! Here we go!

Cracked red foil opened with a *fwsk!* Pours with a clear sunset red with a single line of bubbles rising, to a non-existant headcap curled up as a corner grabbing tiny ring.

Fusel nose of gin, brown sugar and cotton candy. (I just invented a drink!)

First swigs: Two years in the hole and this still tastes like rocket fuel and isopropyl with cherry juice.

Feel is mocked by a ton of sugary residual linger.

Last swigs: Cherry and vodka. Here is a compliment: This is a sipper. Like a Fear Factor cocktail. With the high octane 18% ABV, this awl-kee-hawl boozer goes back like vodka with cherry soda. I heard the rumors and I guess they are true. Somebody give me something to chase this with...like tequila. I took one for the team here.

Beer is good. Is this beer? Happy bering.

02-01-2006 04:56:51 | More by blitheringidiot
kmpitz2

Tennessee

2.25/5  rDev -35.3%

2004 edition at 18.1%ABV. This beer poured an amber color with no head. The nose was alcohol with a bit of sweet cherry, along with more alcohol. The taste is a big kick of alcohol upfront, masking any real flavors that are going on. I can taste something sweet, but can't get through the alcohol to find out what it is. The feel was thick, but the alcohol is burningly apparent. I just can't get past the alcohol. This beer is not a very good one right now. Maybe in a few years, but not now.

05-02-2005 15:21:58 | More by kmpitz2
mgdeth

Montana

2.28/5  rDev -34.5%

Appearance - Copper color. Good head, but it does not last too long.

Smell - Distinct alcohol in the nose. There is also some malt, but no hops that I can detect.

Taste - Distinct alcohol in the taste. This one is too hot and solvent like. This has the makings of a good beer, but I think it was probably released a few years too early. When sipped in small doses, I can taste sweet malt in the fore- to mid-taste.

Mouthfeel - Huge body, with medium carbonation. The alcohol burns my mouth, which is not too pleasant.

Drinkability - Too alcoholic. This one needs to be cellared for a (long) while to mellow out.

Comments - The low marks I gave this beer represent what I think are qualities that will improve with age. I'm not giving up on this beer until it has at least one more year to age. It does not have contamination-type flaws. I'm hoping for the best.

04-12-2005 02:46:44 | More by mgdeth
beergeek279

2.3/5  rDev -33.9%

Served in the 22 oz. bomber into a goblet. The color is ruby red, with a decent head for the superalcohol. The smell is a plumish sweetness mixed with a LOT of alcohol. The taste is just a slightly sweet plum/spicy flavor, but it's mixed with a very strong and less than pleasant alcohol, with an alcohol burn that seems like an 80 proof liquor. Mouthfeel gives a VERY strong esophogeal burn and numbs the tongue. As for drinkability, not really something that I'd call for again.

I consider the Beast nickname people a good group of friends, but I still tried to give this one a fair shake. Well, at first it didn't seem as bad as I was expecting (mostly because I was drinking it like it was a brandy, not realizing that a brandy is 40% ABV), but doesn't mean that it's necessarily good either. I've had all the DFH super-beers (120 Min, Raison D'Extra and the 23% WWS) and none of them were this alcohol-tasting! The sad thing that underneath this seems like this could have been an awesome beer, and if they cut a few percent off then it would be enjoyable, but for now I won't have this one again.

12-24-2004 01:19:27 | More by beergeek279
cokes

Wisconsin

2.48/5  rDev -28.7%

Is this thing on?

Um, Hi Avery. Yeah, um, in case you missed out on, oh, say the last year's worth of discussion, your first version of the Beast was largely reviled as an unecessary and misguided attempt at a high-test "big" beer.

So let me get this straight, you upped the ABV 2%?
What a great idea!
It's assuring to see that you've got your finger on the pulse of your audience.

So now, is this version created out of
a): sheer ignorance?,
b).an attempt to simply brew a headline making high octane brew in the wake of Dogfish Head and others?, or
c.) an audacious rebuttal and reformulation of all the things that didn't quite work in Beast's smaller form, with an added middle finger to the naysayers?

Pitches out amber with a bleached grey head that sprints away leaving no lace, no anything.
Captain Morgan's nose traced with tangerines and molasses.
Begins titanically sweet. Brown sugar, kiwi, burnt honey, molasses, and blueberry. Bread develops then is rendered feeble by the hornet's nest of stinging alcohol fury. Vodka and rum, and lots of them. Cheap seeming too, full of heat and short on depth.
Syrupy mixed-drink in build, battled up front with a rushing fizz, then resigned into the booze-driven abyss.

What are you doing Avery? I never participated in that large and vocal Beast-hater camp. In fact, I thought the old Beast was passable, and probably the best Belgian-inspired brew you offered, even if it was outright flawed and did suffer from being over-strong. The old Beast was all plums and dark fruits and candy and cognac. This is Red Bull and shitty rail vodka, sprinkled with brown sugar.

Count me in with those that rally against this particular creation.

Did you guys even taste this before releasing it? And be honest here.

Shame on you Avery.

Listen next time.
---
(the correct answers are: a & b)

01-26-2005 07:42:14 | More by cokes
SheepNutz

2.48/5  rDev -28.7%

2004 edition, 18.1% abv. 22oz. bomber poured into a snifter. It pours a medium red color with one finger of head. There is no lacing to be seen. The smell has a good maltiness to it, but just before the alcohol sets your nose hairs ablaze. I've smelled moonshine with less ethanol aroma (no, I am not kidding). The taste actually brings a little bit of a good balance of malt and hops, but one the alcohol hits you, it's all over. It basically ruins the beer. The mouthfeel is even a little light and slick. The drinkability is downright horrible. I think the only beer that could compete with this one in drinkability is Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer. The Beast would make a great solvent to replace methanol down at the crime lab.

06-24-2005 01:59:39 | More by SheepNutz
JISurfer

South Carolina

2.53/5  rDev -27.3%

Wow, this beer was a rollercoaster. It looked good and smelled good, but that was about it. I think they tried to put waaay to much alcohol in this, and that's what ruined it for me. At least in other high alcohol brews, the alcohol is a bit more subtle. This one was loud and in your face. After the alcohol hit the tounge, not much other taste was detectable. I think this beer would definately benefit from a lower alcohol level. What were they thinking?

12-19-2004 12:50:44 | More by JISurfer
kbub6f

2.7/5  rDev -22.4%

Small, yellow-tan, coarse, noisy head. Very clear, light garnet body with a few slow streams of bubbles. One or maybe two small spots of lacing Sweet, spicy nose: grapes and Belgian spice; peppery. All alcohol all the time. Overripe fruit in the sweet front; some butter and caramel in the middle, but alcohol takes over again for the finish. Reminiscences of alcohol swab. Some spice. Not very good.

04-19-2005 21:21:36 | More by kbub6f
clvand0

2.8/5  rDev -19.5%

Came in a 22oz bottle. Very cool bottle - a little intimidating. I've been waiting to try this year's version of The Beast with its upped alcohol. Poured into a snifter. Red body with a small head that dies off quickly. The aroma had a little bit of sweet caramel malts and fruit, then an enormous alcohol kick. The flavor was a little sweet but the alcohol is enormous. It's hard to taste anything with the huge alcohol presence. This beer is hard to drink. I enjoyed it to an extent, just because it was something new, but man was it hard to finish.

10-27-2004 17:44:44 | More by clvand0

05-25-2014 12:57:39 | More by DIPAFAN
merlin48

3.03/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Hmm. No reviews of this in over a month. I should preface this review by saying that I rated the previous incarnation of the Beast at a 4.25. According to the label, this new high octane version contains a similar variety of exotic hops, malts, and specialty sugars. Appearance is impressive, with a clear copper body, some apparent bubbly carbonation, and an impressive offwhite head that retains for a few minutes at about two centimeters in height. After a few minutes, the head vanishes along with the initial patch lace. Aroma: Some dark fruits of raisins and prunes, lots of pepper notes from the alcohol(suggestive of some hablaneros), coriander, cheap bourbon whiskey, clover honey, and some suggestions of caramel maltiness.
Mouthfeel: Whew! Burning alcohol is alarming. Somewhat syrupy, with a medium body and subdued carbonation.
Taste: Extreme alcohol burns away most of the nuances that I appreciated in the old version of the Beast. With some patience, you can pick up some grassy hops bitterness and hints of dark fruity rum soaked prunes, but the high alcohol dumbs and numbs the senses here. Finishes with a stomach and throat burning alcohol presence. Quite medicinal. This might cure what ails you, but it reminds of the taste of a poultice that my grandmother might have made out of moonshine, herbs, and honey to cure any variety of maladies.
Drinkability: One bottle of this will get you intoxicated, no doubt. This version of the Beast is way over the top, and overdone with the big abv. The alcohol smothers all the quality malts and hops into a stifling and painful death. This tastes better toward the finish, but by then it has intoxicated you to the point that you would probably be reviewing aftershave lotion favorably. This version of the Beast is suitable for a tasting on April 1st, or for fraternity pranks and/or hazing for younger folks. I cellar Avery 10 and 11, with passion, and still like the earlier version of the Beast. This one is just too bizarre for normal tastes.

03-05-2005 00:03:22 | More by merlin48
allengarvin

3.05/5  rDev -12.4%

'Bottled in 2004'. I've had this sitting around for a while, decided to enjoy it tonight. It pours a rich mahogany color, mostly clear, with a moderate initial head that fades fairly quickly. It has a very rich fruity aroma, reminiscent of ripe sweet cherries, with a herbal hoppy nose underneath. Flavor is quite sweet, despite a huge bitterness... it depends upon where you roll the beer upon your tongue. No balance at all, plus the medicinal alcohols are quite apparent throughout. Body is thick, almost syrupy.

Bleagh, by no means a pleasant beer (it borders on disgusting), nor a very interesting (though it does smell nice!).

04-14-2007 04:44:53 | More by allengarvin
BEERchitect

3.1/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I guess from time to time, a brewer has to go here just because they can. I appreciate the attempt and creativity, just not the finish product. I can imagine antifreeze tasting much like this. The beer pours nicely copper to deep golden, holds a loose knit head that lingered well. Had low level lacing, but showed good legging. Aromas are of obvious alcohols, but also of deep ripened fruits: peaches, cherries, plumbs, and a little nuttiness. Flavors show more. Begins nicely sweet (brandy-like) with good hop flavors. The body is sticky sweet, but the finish is where it hurts. The fusal alcohols are so rough and dominant, that all other flavors and character becomes void and easily forgotten. I beleive that I'll set a bottle or two back for my grandchildren to sample. It may smoothen out to drinkable in about a hundred years.

09-06-2005 12:49:19 | More by BEERchitect
lackenhauser

Maryland

3.15/5  rDev -9.5%

Very nice color-pale mahogany. Nice chestnut hues. Aroma of oak and sherry. Somewhat piney and vinuous. Flavor is a big malt blast upfront but is quickly replaced by the alcohol. Very resiny but the alcohol really dominates the whole experience. Good mouthfeel minus the burn in the backround. Just way too overwhelming in the long run. Call me a lite weight-hey I like a good Bigfoot after cutting the grass!!! This is just too much even the 2nd time around. I think they are on the right track but a better balance is needed. Stiil-try it and see for yourself. Its quite the ride.

06-27-2005 02:09:35 | More by lackenhauser
beercollector

Oregon

3.33/5  rDev -4.3%

I'm a fan of Avery's big beers. This one is one that needs to sit in the cellar to mellow.

It pours a deep orange with big lasting head. Good lacing.

It has a slight malt aroma and very light hop.

The alcohol does not really come out in the flavor. It is moderately sweet, has a bit of hop flavor, and the malt just isn't present, over powered I think by the 18.1 alcohol.

It soed have a thick full body and soft carbonation that has an astringent after taste.

This is a single bottle per night beer and basically an alcohol delivery system right now. It could be much better balanced and perhaps next year or so it might meld together to be a nice to spend an evening with.

04-10-2005 19:03:01 | More by beercollector
schoolboy

3.35/5  rDev -3.7%

I've had this beast sitting in my beer fridge aging for at least a year or two - let's call it two because it could be longer. I don't remember where I got it - either Indiana or under the table here in Ohio - it is too strong for regular Ohio sales.

It's kind of dark and cloudy, like the skies around here in the winter (lake effect). I am drinking it not very cold. The flavor is very strong, sweet, hoppy. Nasty.

It reminds me of Dogfish Head 120, which is a similar huge beer, but it is SO much better that this.

So now I see that this is no longer available. Good riddance. I wouldn't want to buy it again. I suppose I will get a serious buzz from this.

01-04-2009 18:06:42 | More by schoolboy
emmasdad

Colorado

3.48/5  rDev 0%

Ratman brought this one over to my house for my birthday last friday, and after splitting a bomber of batch 1 (along with a few others) with him a couple months back, and regretting it until about 5 pm the following night, I was glad we had a few more tasters for this one. Nonetheless, this was a very formidable beer. Pours a dark, hazy amber color with a smallish white head. Huge alcohol in this one, both on the nose and on the palate, along with dark brown sugar, dark fruits, caramel and alcohol. Lots and lots of alcohol. This one is still pretty hot, even 6 years later. This one hasn't calmed down like batch 1 has. Still, it is very enjoyable.

10-17-2010 04:38:45 | More by emmasdad
Hopheadjeffery

3.5/5  rDev +0.6%

08-05-2013 03:34:44 | More by Hopheadjeffery
beerinator

3.58/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance: Ruby red in color. Creamy off-white head. Stick to your ribs retention.

Aroma: Cherry is solid as a fruit flavor in the aroma. This beer has a barleywine'ish type aroma. The malt, nuttyness and caramel are large here. Alcohol comes through quite harsh here in the nose. Plums and raisins are among the other fruit flavors noted.

Taste: Fruity. The alcohol forces its way through here, but it's not overpoweringly harsh. Plum and raisins are evident. There is a slight tingle on the palate from the alcohol burn.

Notes: This beer is almost too high in alcohol for me to enjoy many of the more subtle flavors. I think some of the sharpness in the flavor comes from the alcohol burn, not any bitterness that might be coming from the malt or hops.

05-15-2005 22:11:06 | More by beerinator
Gusler

Arizona

3.68/5  rDev +5.7%

The beer disembogues the 22-ounce brown bottle a luminous ruby brown with a dinosauric frothy light tan head that settles rather quickly and the residual lace a tight sheet upon the glass. Oh my, is that alcohol I smell, sweet malt, caramel, over ripe pineapple, fresh, crisp, clean and a damn fine treat for my old schnozzle, start is all alcohol with a monsterous sweetness and a fair grain profile, the top is moderate to full in feel. Finish is submissive in its acidity with the hops burned out of existence by the 18.1 percent ABV and the specialty sugars leave a thick sweetness on the palate, big tummy warmer that is also quite dry, a monster of a beer, but one I do not think will appeal too many.

04-21-2005 21:07:48 | More by Gusler
WesWes

3.68/5  rDev +5.7%

The beer pours a dark amber color with a thick frothy offwhite head that fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a rich malty scent that is quite warm and toastey. It boasts of pale and crystal malts along with some roasted malts for that nice toasted aroma. The taste is decent. It has an intense malt flavor that goes down slow and easy with a very warm finish. It has a fairly simple malt bill, but it has good flavor. The mouthfeel is good. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a decent strong ale, although I'm not seeing the Belgian style characteristics. It is a brew for those cold winter days when you need a good warming up. It drinks well, but it's a beer you want to put away slow.

07-16-2005 01:03:09 | More by WesWes