2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Maharaja - Avery Brewing Company

MaharajaMaharaja

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

ABV varies slightly batch to batch.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-03-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maharaja Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,128 | Reviews: 1,707 | Show All Ratings:
jameaterblues

On tap at Hop Devil Grill (nyc). I like Avery's Hog Heaven and I had never seen their beer on tap before and I got a wonderful surprise.
A- The beer was a dark golden amber hue(there was definitely some light that could get through, but not much), with a 1/4 inch creamy white head....the head left a really thick lace.
S- the smell was of herbal/floral hops, some carmel malt, but it had a wonderful strong peach and apricot nose. The peach and apricot was the predominant smell.
T- The body had a good hop/malt balance. Early on in the body the carmel malt was easily detectable, some of the peach and apricot came though in the middle of the body, but there was a predominance of spicy herbal hops. The hops really hit as the beer finished and left a strong hopy bitterness for the after taste.
M/D- This beer was really surprising and one of the best that I have ever had. The alcohol was disguised very well for being so high(9.7-9.9abv), and although the hops were very big in the finish the beer felt very well balanced between the carmel malts, the fruity flavors, and the hops. I think what did it for me was the smell of the apricot/peach every time you lifted the glass up to your mouth, it really just hit me, and to be followed by such flavor was just wonderful. This was really drinkable for the high alcohol level, so be careful it creeps up on you. I enjoyed it so much I picked up a bottle and brought it back with me on the plane. I'll find out soon if it is as good out of the bottle as it is on tap.

04-25-2006 21:44:42 | More by jameaterblues
jeffjfindley

Wow. I've never seen a prettier beer. Color is a orange-ruby red, head is ridiculous, being constantly fed by champagne bubbles rising from a golden bottom. Smell is pungent, sweet and delicious, with piney notes slightly overpowering citrus with sweet malt holding it all together perfectly. After the nose, the taste came as no surprise, powerful throughout and striking an enviable eveness. Creme broulee wrapped up in a fireworks display of delicious hops. Mouthfeel is silky, velvety, savory, surreal. This is the finest Double IPA I've ever had. Perfect.

06-19-2007 22:41:05 | More by jeffjfindley
srobertson59

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a 22 oz. glass.

I found this at a local Deli shop (thanks Pimpp!) and after reading some reviews was a bit anxious to give it a go. Could it possibly knock out my current favorite of Stone’s Ruination?

A - Pours a somewhat cloudy/hazy honey-amber with a generous tight head. Some sediment is visible lofting through the carbonation. Good retention with ample amount of lacing on the glass.

S - BAM! An oily hoppy infusion to the nose with hints of citrus and tart apple with toasted malt shining through.

T - Mmmmm. Now this is EXACTLY what I was expecting! A huge explosion of hops, followed closely by a sweetness that seems to compliment the hops instead of hiding them. Just the slightest bit of warming from the well hidden alcohol.

M - A very creamy viscous feel all the way down the throat. All of the flavors seem to linger at the same levels. At no time do any of them overpower the pallet in aftertaste. And the finish on this one lasts a long, long time.

D - HELL YEAH! I have found my #2 favorite brew. If you enjoy the experience of Stone's Ruination, then you'll definitely enjoy this offering from Avery.

01-13-2008 17:46:54 | More by srobertson59
spoots

2008 vintage, served from a bomber and poured vigorously into a Rodenbach tulip.

Words alone cannot describe what an immense beer this is. A stunning example of an Imperial IPA. Close to flawless.

A: Gorgeous. Huge, thick two-fingered head. A thing of beauty.

S: Explosive. Dangerous. A slut of an IIPA.

T: An absolute bomb on the tongue. Again, words fail to adequately describe the complexity...

M: Couldn't be improved. Thick. Creamy. A hop milkshake.

D: Boom goes the dynamite!

This beer is as good as the style gets. Show me a better example of an IIPA. I dare you.

07-19-2008 02:26:49 | More by spoots
stumac

Bottle states February '07, well I popped this sucker open in July '08....

the beer itself looks like apple juice in my glass with a huge ideal frothy ivory colored head. the nose is very floral, floral hops and mellowed spicy hops. the taste is smoothe as hell! floral hops and mellowed spicy hops again. full bodied, low carbo, sweet finish. Definately gotta be number one on my list of IPAs!

09-04-2008 05:57:32 | More by stumac
CosmoHopHead

Kansas

Poured from a bomber marked "Bottled February 2009, Batch 9" into a tulip shaped glass.

A: Dark orange/copper color with a lovely 2 finger off white head to it. Sticky lacing down the inside of the glass.

S: Holy freaking hops man! First wave of hops hits your nose like a punch to the face. Then settles down to highlight hints of grapefruit, citrus, and sweet pine. Alcohol smell is present but not over powering.

T: Oh the taste. First taste is like grapefruit candy with a massive mixture of hops. Very bitter but wonderful. Slight burn going down but very much a good kind of burn. Malts really come through on the way down.

M: Thick with very balanced carbonation.

D: I honestly could drink this all night. But I think I'd be in trouble with it being %10 abv. Also the 100+ IBU's would probably shut my mouth down at some point.

Overall, one of my favorite beers ever.

05-25-2009 22:15:36 | More by CosmoHopHead
TexIndy

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a tulip glass. Batch#12 bottled in May 2010. It was a hazy amber color with plenty of carb streams. I gave it a good pour to stir up the aroma so it had a large, pillowy, off-white head that very slowly settled into a constant foam cap. Great lacing with lots sticking.

The aroma is exceptional and one of if not my favorite these days. Amazing hop aromas blended in with some sweet malt to balance: citric and tropical, pine, sweet caramel malt. The taste is just as amazing. Starts out with a great hop bite with a bit of bitter and then is balanced by the sweet malt coming in at the end. Great balance. Mouthfeel was full and chewy with great carbonation and aftertaste.

Overall, an amazing ADIPA that I most highly recommend. This one is near perfection for me and my go to beer for when I want to have excellent flavor and just relax. As much as I've had this I was surprised that I hadn't reviewed it. Available here in TX. Rotation - heavy rotation and a must when I can find it on tap. Only problem I find (two if you count only being rotating release) is that I've had it many times on tap at the brewery so I'm spoiled by the really fresh ones which are hard to get in Texas. We seem to have 1-2 month lag time from release in CO to here. [R;Y]

08-21-2010 01:50:09 | More by TexIndy
mrotstein

Wow, you can actually smell pungent and citrusy hops just upon opening the bottle! Avery usually delivers, and this one is no exception. It pours a slightly hazy reddish-copper body with orangeish highlights beneath a short but creamy head of white. Unfortunately, the head doesn't hold quite as well as might be hoped for (but with 10.54 % alcohol by volume (102IBU) that's to be expected!), and it does leaves some thin rings of lace about the glass. A firmly caramelish and delicately biscuity malt comes into play within the aroma, although the hops are still clearly present with notes of grass, pineapple, orange peel, dried pine needles, and muddled grapefruit. In the mouth its filling and dextrinous as the very-fine-bubbled carbonation warms and becomes airy before sliding away like silk pajamas on silk sheets. The flavor delivers a heavier blow than the aroma suggests with its solid maltiness ducking and weaving between punches of hop flavor and hits of solid bitterness. There's no real pattern to the way that it appears on the palate, and slaps of hops or hits of malt seem to come and go in a different fashion with each sip. Everyc omponent is always there, but certain characteristics just seem to pop at times. The one constant, however, is it's lingering, resinous and citrus-fruit-rind finish. There's bitterness there as well, but it doesn't come across as being raspy because of the thin but sticky layer of sweet malt that so stealthily hides itself while slowly receeding. It's a really nice, very well-balanced IPA that offers a decent amount of changing character in its profile; but might actually be lacking in complexity due to it's being "too balanced" - if that's possible. Still, this IPA rocks! The alcohol rarely appears, and its bitterness never overwhelms the palate! You can't drink too many because of the strength, but it's definitely drinkable.

03-25-2011 23:57:20 | More by mrotstein
BlastBeats

Made the voyage to Avery Bewing Company to experience a tour of the brewery before enjoying this outstanding Imperial IPA at their tap room. Avery was having a release party for the Maharaja that day which meant that the beer couldn't have been any fresher.

Appearance: Pours a golden, burnt orange color with excellent head retention.

Smell: Citrusy, hoppy, with a mild floral scent

Taste: The best tasting Imperial IPA I've had to date. Hops are extremely well balanced. This beer features the "bite" you would expect from an Imperial IPA, but it isn't overwhelming. Tangy fruit flavors are present, yet not out of control.

Mouthfeel: Great consistency. Prickly hop sensation is moderate.

Overall: World-class!

03-27-2011 08:46:46 | More by BlastBeats
waterintobeer

Out of a bottle from batch 13 march 2011. This beer is incredible. The beer pours a caramel color with a strong grapefruit note. The smell is tropical hops and a sweet malt. The taste is more hops with a sweet malt background to balance out the hops. The mouthful is a perfect harmony between syrupy and carbonation. Truly the paramount of DIPA that I have ever tasted.

04-21-2011 03:53:30 | More by waterintobeer
BlurryVisi0n

Served in a tulip glass.

Appearance: A darker amber with slight haze through the body. Head which is and orange-white rises to about 1/2" off the body.

Smell: Has a strong potent caramel scent with hard floral feel as well. You will not smell this beer you will inhale it to the fullest effect.

Taste: Complex as it gets, sweet with touch of caramel has a bitter feel that is just that perfect. Floral and pineyness of course compliment this beer, and is incredibly addicting.

Mouth: Your palates will be crushed, flavor overload that when you place your glass down you still are tasting the beer. Not only is it smooth it is invigorating.

Overall: Easily one of your top three Imperial IPAs, this beer is a man among boys.This honestly is a re-review and is seriously my favorite imperial IPA. I have had this on tap and bottled and honestly a definitely go to for you true IPA fans. Do yourself a favor and spend the nine bucks and then grab a glass, you'll thank me later....Salud!

03-14-2013 07:10:14 | More by BlurryVisi0n
PaulieNumbers

One of the best beers I've had lately. I'd go into further depth, but there's so many positive reviews I think it's a bit nuts to be skeptical on this brew. If it's on tap near you get one. I just had it at a local bar in northern Virginia that was insanely smooth and delicious with a full body.

04-04-2013 04:16:39 | More by PaulieNumbers
pvo

Out of the bottle on 4/4/13, 2013 release. I've had these in previous years, and always try to get at least one per year.

Appearance: Dark amber, hazy.

Smell: hoppy, as one would expect.

Taste: Hoppy, but less biting due to the high ABV.

Mouthfeel: substantial, lasting.

Overall: thoroughly enjoyable. It's still identifiable as an IPA, has more flavor between the hops and alcohol than most DIPAs, and I really enjoy the citrus and floral notes that dominate the hop flavors.

04-05-2013 00:25:47 | More by pvo
bcgpete

Washington

4.98/5  rDev +18%

Had this on tap on a few different occasions at Tizley's. Served in a snifter-style 10oz glass.

The appearance is beautiful. Nice frothy head with that hop-oil glimmer to it. Clear, pale ale color.

The smell is my favorite part of beers like this. Super hoppy aroma, grapefruits and hops for days.

Taste is quite impressive. Very smooth for the abv, with the perfect amount of bitterness. Not too sweet.

Mouthfeel is great as well. Very slick and easy to drink.

This beer is great, I've had several on more than one occasion. It's so drinkable for the %, kinda dangerous.

02-29-2012 20:25:52 | More by bcgpete
onecrazybreeze

Colorado

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

Bottle, first batch of 2008. Poured cloudy orangish yellow with a nice thick head. Nose reeked of colombus hops, fruity and piney. Tastes mainly hoppy with sweet, fruity and piney notes, slightly boozy (second batch of 2008 tasted slightly sweeter). A personal favorite Imperial of mine, love it, can't wait til February.

12-26-2008 10:45:54 | More by onecrazybreeze
gatorbreath

Fiji

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

Appearance: Pours golden sandy color with some pearly colored head with lacing that stays..she's a beaut and we're off to a good start.

Smell: WHOA! definitely floral with overwhelming piney and citrusy grapefruity notes all over.

Flav/MF: Off the chain, just like it smells, LOTS of grapefruit and other citrus notes. Accompanied by piney taste with a hoppiness unlike any other i've had. This brew is truly one of a kind. The Alcohol is not noticable to me until late in the aftertaste and still hidden very well. Mouthfeel is good, carbonation is balanced and the mouthfeel is clean forreal.

Drinkability: not for those uncultured to DIPA's. not a good starter. This was my 1st DIPA and i was overwhelmed, drank it because it cost much but i enjoy it much much more now. Being that it's seasonal grab one while ya can. Got one today.

Overall this brew is amazing, my first flirt with the DIPA and I am in love now and it is my favorite style. Very nice IPA here, get some if you can.

Serving type: growler

07-14-2009 23:16:51 | More by gatorbreath
smallbatchbrewer

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

This is the first beer I am reviewing on BA, ever. And it's a great place to start, too. This beer is just hands down amazing. I refuse to say one single beer is my favorite, but if someone made me single a beer out, I could see this one coming in at the top. I tried it first at a beer tasting for guest brewers up in Connecticut, and I was instantly looking for more. The guys from Avery were awesome and had any information I could imagine asking for.

This is a supremely hoppy, citrusy, complex beer that will linger on your pallet's memory for ages.

09-21-2009 00:16:41 | More by smallbatchbrewer
100floods

4.95/5  rDev +17.3%

I, among many others, love hops. I have searched for the perfect hop beer and I think I have found it.

I've had this beer, always in a bottle, at least 4 times since I first saw it at City Beer. The initial smell upon opening is more than what i look for in an Imperial IPA. This is what a strong IPA should smell like. It has notes of citrus which, together with all the other hop madness, gives a very fresh hop smell. If the smell doesn't win you over, the taste will. I am guessing this was intensely dry hopped.

Avery is known for being brutal on the buds, but safe to say that this hoppy delight starts and finishes smooth. There's even a hop-bite shortly after each sip. Each sip fills your mouth with a slightly heavy texture, but not too carbonated. Avery really wants you to taste this beer.

This tour de hop is beyond exceptional. The only beer in comparison is the Anderson Valley's anniversary IPA, which has a strong hop taste.

buy it, chill it, drink it. GODDAMN

07-23-2008 03:14:15 | More by 100floods
Blitzstyle

4.95/5  rDev +17.3%

Had on tap at Dunedin House of Beer. Was poured into a sniffer. Beautiful deep orange color. Laceing on the glass after swirling.
Very citrusy smells of pineapples almost. I spent more time sniffing this than I did actually drinking it. Smells great!!
Tasted pineapple/grapefruit on the front some piney notes on the back.
Wonderful beer couldn't get enough of it all night(had 3)

10-15-2009 14:13:47 | More by Blitzstyle
mjurney

4.95/5  rDev +17.3%

Appearance:
Orange-golden color, clear. Medium amount of carbonation. Head looks very nice and creamy, lacing looks pretty good.

Smell:
Strong fruity hops (pineapples, mango, orange peel), hint of piney, sweet malts.

Taste/Mouthfeel:
Tropical fruity hops up front (pineapples and mango), a little orange peel, touch of piney, along with slight honey-like malts to balance off the beer. Spicy hops in the middle, a little peppery. Very crisp finish with nice fruity hoppy aftertaste that lingers. Mouthfeel is great, I like that hop sizzle through my tongue. Carbonation is just right.

Drinkability:
Drinkability is extremely high. Tons and tons of hops, yet very balance. Probably the best DIPA I've ever drank!!

07-19-2010 04:10:03 | More by mjurney
BeerDawgs

Georgia

4.95/5  rDev +17.3%

A bottle of the batch 12 with a born on date of May 2010, picked up at Total Wine in Columbia, SC. 10.48% ABV

A - An orange, copper hue, with a very creamy appearance. Lots of head and sticky lace all over the glass which will not go away. Impressive!

S - This beer ropes me in quickly with the aroma. Lots of citrus and floral hop notes, but a sweet malt backbone going on that makes it so nice to the smell. Has a nice boozy kick at the end, but its not overwhelming like you would expect from a 10.5% bomb

T - Like it smells, lots of citrusy and piny hops, with an oily hop mouthful. I do detect a sweet malt backbone, with hints of mint. Delicious!

M - Full bodied, and so well balanced.

O - A hell of a double IPA. One of the best I have ever had. This one sets the bar. It is so well balanced, tasty, and smooth.

I first had this on draft at the Avery brewery in April 2010, and have been an Avery fan ever since.

05-21-2011 01:48:48 | More by BeerDawgs
howard12

4.95/5  rDev +17.3%

Poured from a bomber into perfect pint glasses, shared three ways

A -- Golden amber, with a bit of orange

S -- Roasted malt, citrus, probably grapefruit

T -- smooth Citrus/malt, very hoppy

M -- smooth, creamy, hoppy but very balanced

O -- one my favorites IIPAs

05-28-2012 18:54:48 | More by howard12
Codyx

4.94/5  rDev +17.1%

Great taste great lace.. just really an amazing beer.. From start to finish. Never gets old. But be careful how quick you drink these, they taste great and will sneak up on you by the time you hit your third one. A beer for the true connoisseur.. Enjoy

03-20-2013 17:06:46 | More by Codyx
KingG

4.93/5  rDev +16.8%

Had this many times, this one's for the review.
Brewed in May 2007 Batch 6

Served chilled and poured into my Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance is very good. Deep orange color with a decent amount of carbonation bubbles slowly upstreaming toward the gorgeous fluffy head that forms. Tons of lacing in the glass.

Smell is exceptional. Huge grapefruit/citrus aroma hits and makes me salivate after every sniff. Bittering hops and sweet malts attacking the nose. Complex nose for the style.

Taste is exceptional. In my opinion, the perfect flavor for a DIPA. Big wave of citrus hops hit the tongue, then the candy maltiness balances things out, then a big wave of bittering hops destroy the pallet to finish things off Simply awesome.

Mouthfeel is very good. Perfect carbonation. Juicy while in the mouth and crisp when it leaves.

Drinkability is exceptional. I'd love to get my buddies together and kill a keg of this stuff. IF the alc% wasn't so high i think we could of. Addicting hoppy and sweet flavor makes it incredibly drinkable.

Overall:
My favortie DIPA. Yes, i know I'm from San Diego aka "Home of the DIPA's" but this is still my favorite one. Highly recommended.

06-13-2007 01:35:43 | More by KingG
Scoobydank

4.93/5  rDev +16.8%

L: wicked orange amber color. White head that ends up sticking to class.
S: Holy hops!!!! Green green hops. Like I am smelling a hop plant in my hand. Grapefuits and apricots also come through ont he nose
T: Sweet apricots along with green leaves and grapefruits.
M:Round and syrupy. The carbonation sticks to the top of your mouth
D: Frickin awesome beers. Might be my favorite beer. If oyu like hops, this is the beer for you

10-08-2007 00:54:02 | More by Scoobydank