Maharaja - Avery Brewing Company

MaharajaMaharaja

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Maharaja is derived from the sanskrit words mahat, meaning “great”, and rajan, meaning “king”. Much like its namesake, this imperial IPA is regal, intense and mighty. With hops and malts as his servants, he rules both with a heavy hand. The Maharaja flaunts his authority over a deranged amount of hops: tangy, vibrant and pungent along with an insane amount of malted barley – fashioning a dark amber hue and exquisite malt essence. Welcome to his kingdom!

The Maharaja is the second installment in our Dictator Series.

102 IBUs

ABV varies slightly batch to batch.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-03-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maharaja Alström Bros

I'm from Portland. Home of many fine beers. However, this is simply the finest brew in production today. If u can find it... Buy it... Drink it. Rejoice.

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a tulip glass. Batch#12 bottled in May 2010. It was a hazy amber color with plenty of carb streams. I gave it a good pour to stir up the aroma so it had a large, pillowy, off-white head that very slowly settled into a constant foam cap. Great lacing with lots sticking.

The aroma is exceptional and one of if not my favorite these days. Amazing hop aromas blended in with some sweet malt to balance: citric and tropical, pine, sweet caramel malt. The taste is just as amazing. Starts out with a great hop bite with a bit of bitter and then is balanced by the sweet malt coming in at the end. Great balance. Mouthfeel was full and chewy with great carbonation and aftertaste.

Overall, an amazing ADIPA that I most highly recommend. This one is near perfection for me and my go to beer for when I want to have excellent flavor and just relax. As much as I've had this I was surprised that I hadn't reviewed it. Available here in TX. Rotation - heavy rotation and a must when I can find it on tap. Only problem I find (two if you count only being rotating release) is that I've had it many times on tap at the brewery so I'm spoiled by the really fresh ones which are hard to get in Texas. We seem to have 1-2 month lag time from release in CO to here. [R;Y]

Maharaja from Avery Brewing Company