Maharaja - Avery Brewing Company

MaharajaMaharaja

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-03-2005

Maharaja is derived from the sanskrit words mahat, meaning “great”, and rajan, meaning “king”. Much like its namesake, this imperial IPA is regal, intense and mighty. With hops and malts as his servants, he rules both with a heavy hand. The Maharaja flaunts his authority over a deranged amount of hops: tangy, vibrant and pungent along with an insane amount of malted barley – fashioning a dark amber hue and exquisite malt essence. Welcome to his kingdom!

The Maharaja is the second installment in our Dictator Series.

102 IBUs

ABV varies slightly batch to batch.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maharaja Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,779 | Hads: 5,136
4.94/5  rDev +17.9%

I, among many others, love hops. I have searched for the perfect hop beer and I think I have found it.

I've had this beer, always in a bottle, at least 4 times since I first saw it at City Beer. The initial smell upon opening is more than what i look for in an Imperial IPA. This is what a strong IPA should smell like. It has notes of citrus which, together with all the other hop madness, gives a very fresh hop smell. If the smell doesn't win you over, the taste will. I am guessing this was intensely dry hopped.

Avery is known for being brutal on the buds, but safe to say that this hoppy delight starts and finishes smooth. There's even a hop-bite shortly after each sip. Each sip fills your mouth with a slightly heavy texture, but not too carbonated. Avery really wants you to taste this beer.

This tour de hop is beyond exceptional. The only beer in comparison is the Anderson Valley's anniversary IPA, which has a strong hop taste.

buy it, chill it, drink it. GODDAMN (981 characters)

4.93/5  rDev +17.7%

Great taste great lace.. just really an amazing beer.. From start to finish. Never gets old. But be careful how quick you drink these, they taste great and will sneak up on you by the time you hit your third one. A beer for the true connoisseur.. Enjoy (252 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

22 oz bomber into DFH snifter. Bottled about a month ago. Batch 11.

a- reddish copper orange, 1/2 inch of head that fades quickly

s- Dank resiny citrus mango. Hop riot. AMAZING. PTE look out.

t - Follows the nose. Citrus, sweet mango, some malt then bitter on the finish.

m- Mouthfeel is good but nothing amazing. Maybe it needs more carbonation???

d- I love it me. So easy to drink.

I feel that Maharaja gives PTE a run for its money. It is an amazing DIPA. PTE is enamel destroying but it just doesn't have the aromatics that Maharaja does. DIPA/IPA's do not get much better than this. (593 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a tulip glass. Pours a golden amber color, with a 1" cream colored head that slowly reduces, leaving nice lacing clinging to the sides.

Has a string, astringent hoppy aroma, full of pine and caramel. Fruity undertones, grapefruit and orange, this smells you want to eat it!

Upfront creamy bitterness, buttery and and resinous, the evergreen hop flavor is cut by the sweet caramel malt. Ends tongue-drying bitter, constricting the throat with it's 102 IBU's. the alcohol is felt, though not tasted.

Full-bodied, creamy, butter and bitter, this has a complex mouthfeel.

One of my favorite Imperial IPA's, I can't recommend this beer enough. Drinkable as hell, bitter and tasty, a hop-bomb for all those hop-heads out there. Pick it up now! (775 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

This brew poured with a full finger of pure white head that left a nice amount of lacing on the glass. The body is orange with a lot of carbonation. It also looks like there is some “stuff” floating in this. Interesting. On the nose, I get a lot of pine and grapefruit and a hint of sweetness on the end. On the taste, the first thing that I get is pine, then grapefruit and then another taste that I can’t really identify. I think it’s caramel or some nuttiness? This nuttiness hangs around until the finish and lingers for a while. The alcohol in this brew is significant, but it is insanely well hidden. This is a very enjoyable IPA. This brew was 102 IBUs, but doesn’t hit you in the face with hops. This would be up there are one of the best Imperial IPAs that I’ve had. Go out and get this if you haven’t tried it. (834 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

True to it's name, this beer is a "Great King". Weighing in at a heft 10.39% ABV and whopping 102 IBU's, Maharaja from Avery Brewing Company in Boulder, CO pours a hazy orange-amber color, featuring a slightly off-white head that provides a great deal of lacing throughout. A BIG citrus hop nose mingles with bready malt notes as well as occasional whiffs of piney and resiny hop aromas. The flavor of this brew stays close to the aromas we picked up on, with faintly toasted malt flavors blending beautifully with the citrusy hop characteristics before finishing with a smooth and well balanced finish. Maharaja shows a medium body with a tongue-prickling carbonation. Another in the great Dictator Series from Avery. (718 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

Had on-tap on 4/18/2011 at the Gingerman in NYC. Typed from notes. Served in a tulip glass.

Appearance: Copper color with a large off-white head that dissipates slowly and leaves thick lace.

Smell: Lots of melon and citrus with a hint of sweet malt.

Taste: Begins bitter, rounding out to some sweet malt before finishing with grapefruit, melon, and blood orange flavors. These hops are sweet!

Mouthfeel: Medium body with sharp carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: A perfect IPA. This brew has all of the great IPA flavor with lots of unique melon characteristics I have never experienced in a beer of this style. Try it NOW! (631 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

Had this out of a 22 oz. bomber bottled in march 2010. I have had this beer a few times but thought i should review it on BA. This is by far the best brew that ive had from Avery, for a DIPA this had everything that i am looking for. At first the pour in nice and a little thick giving me a nice amber colored beer with an inch and a half of off white head. The smell is amazing!! Loaded with hops and citrus, a little malt but hops hops hops. Taste is amazing as well. Hops and malted barley coat the tongue and goes down so smooth you can forget that its 10.3% ABV. Nice and thick, which is great for a DIPA. For anyone looking for an ideal IPA this is the beer. (664 characters)

Avery Maharaja Imperial IPA
June 2009 batch 10

G- Riedel 6416/07

A - Amber-copper. Massive, expansive, rocky foam. Heavy lace.

S - Cirus, pine resin, bready/champagne yeast.

T- Sweet delicious malt. Bright, not bitter hops. Spice. A very pleasant "saltiness" balances the sweet. Masterful integration.

M, D- Seductive feel and flavors make this brew very drinkable. Substantial gravity. Creamy. ABV masked.

Serving: Bomber (429 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

Had this many times, this one's for the review.
Brewed in May 2007 Batch 6

Served chilled and poured into my Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance is very good. Deep orange color with a decent amount of carbonation bubbles slowly upstreaming toward the gorgeous fluffy head that forms. Tons of lacing in the glass.

Smell is exceptional. Huge grapefruit/citrus aroma hits and makes me salivate after every sniff. Bittering hops and sweet malts attacking the nose. Complex nose for the style.

Taste is exceptional. In my opinion, the perfect flavor for a DIPA. Big wave of citrus hops hit the tongue, then the candy maltiness balances things out, then a big wave of bittering hops destroy the pallet to finish things off Simply awesome.

Mouthfeel is very good. Perfect carbonation. Juicy while in the mouth and crisp when it leaves.

Drinkability is exceptional. I'd love to get my buddies together and kill a keg of this stuff. IF the alc% wasn't so high i think we could of. Addicting hoppy and sweet flavor makes it incredibly drinkable.

Overall:
My favortie DIPA. Yes, i know I'm from San Diego aka "Home of the DIPA's" but this is still my favorite one. Highly recommended. (1,192 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

L: wicked orange amber color. White head that ends up sticking to class.
S: Holy hops!!!! Green green hops. Like I am smelling a hop plant in my hand. Grapefuits and apricots also come through ont he nose
T: Sweet apricots along with green leaves and grapefruits.
M:Round and syrupy. The carbonation sticks to the top of your mouth
D: Frickin awesome beers. Might be my favorite beer. If oyu like hops, this is the beer for you (427 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A very unique DIPA. Very piney. Not very hop forward. Finishes smooth and surprising. I am currently under the influence of this 10.5+ abv masterpiece and WOW, I could not tell the alcohol while I was drinking it. Not a hop forward DIPA, which is what made this such a surprising beer. Very happy to have this beer. Will buy in a bomber soon. (342 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

A- Crystal clear copper with 2 fingers head and some light lacing.

S- One of if not the best beers i've ever inhaled. It's like they immersed a Christmas tree and a bunch of citrus/mango into it after fermentation. As it warms up you get a little sweeter/boozy character but it's pleasant not overpowering.

T- Just an amazing taste with plenty of malt to balance out the huge hop presence (and over 10% ABV). Bitter and sweet at the same time, very piney. A little alcohol bite at the end is the only thing that took me from a 5 to a 4.75 but really at 10% is that even fair?

M- Smooth, balanced, light...a little creamy. Coats the mouth well. What's not to like?

O- This is in my top few beers of all time. Had it once a year ago on draft and loved it (but it was 3 beers in and I didnt get a chance to review it). Had to wait a full year to get it again (make it seasonal Avery!). Well worth the wait. GET. THIS. BEER. (926 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +16.7%

The Maha is definatly the best, most unique ipa i've tried to date (some years have been better than others), but very few ipas will come close to this one.

Smell and taste of the hops and grapefruit rind flavors paint your tongue for hours. High Alc. content.

When aged for over a year, hoppiness diminishes somewhat, different flavor but still excellent. (359 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +16.7%

In a word, "AWESOME". Avery IPA was the first beer I had from Avery and was left a little unimpressed. And typically I'm not a huge fan of Imperial IPAs. But WOW, this beer stands out. Close to perfect. (202 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Batch 13
March 2011

Wow! Where do I start?

Poured into my chalice deep bronze color nice light bronze head retains well minimal lace.
Aroma outstanding. Can't quite pick out individual flavors but moving on to taste, intense hop and malt flavors at the same time. The greatest beer sometimes is the last beer I had and that might be the case this time but suffice it to say that you want to drink one of these before you die.

Update April 2013
On tap at local watering hole recently blew me away. It had been a while - too many beers and all that. Checked back on my review and reassured by my original 5 on taste. Upticked appearance and mouthfeel. Deservedly so.
Release 17 2013
Not quite as overwhelming that I had on tap but still stellar. This beer should be much higher on the pecking order of top 250 in my opinion. (825 characters)

A great brew from Avery!

Labeled batch #8 bottled May 2008 Abv 10.21%

Poured into my Maudite snifter little to no head and no lacing. It has a wonderful deep honey color.

Smells like citrusy pine with some alcohol.

Wonderful malt flavor with some citrus fruit balanced perfectly with hops. Some IPAS are over the top with hops but this one hits the mark balancing sweetness with bitterness. The alcohol is well masked but lingers slightly in after taste

This IPA feels wonderful in the mouth. It is syrupy thick full bodied and a great sipper.

One of my top 10 beers I have enjoyed to date and the least expensive. I can only imagine what a few years in the cellar will bring. (682 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

A: Pours a beautiful amber color with a perfect finger width white head. The head retains very well along the side of the glass.

S: This is the definition of a "citrusy" aroma when describing an IPA. Not too over powering either, but there is a slight indication of the ABV that leaves a tingling in the nose.

T: Delicious, utterly delicious. Amazingly well balanced for a imperial IPA. The hops coat the entire mouth, but it is the taste of the hops not the bitterness that really comes through. The malts add a very pleasant sweetness that perfectly compliment the hops. The most amazing aspect is the alcohol taste from the10.3% ABV is practically obsolete.

M: Coats the palate with a perfectly carbonated chewy hoppiness that is expected of most imperial IPAs. The hops are more focused on the entire mouth and not just the bitter area on the back of the tongue. The malts help to keep that overpowering of the hops effect that most other imperials have.

O: This is probably my favorite imperial IPA and I always snatched it up whenever it's available. The hops and malts work astoundingly well together, and combine to make an exceptional brew. Definitely a must if available, cheers! (1,193 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

This beer pours pours a dark copper color with a litt bit of jead that laced. The smell is infused with hops and is bitter. The taste the is very bitter; very hoppy. Strong flavor stays on the palletee. Overall fanstastic, strong flavor very hoppy, strong flavor. (263 characters)

What a fantastic beer!

Pours a dark brownish color. No retention but decent lacing.

Great citrus/pine hops smell. Just very lovely to the nose.

A great taste for sure. The hops are there, but definitely not as bitter as I would have expected. I got some great citrusy fruits with a little bit of peppery goodness. Finished with some fruitiness as well.

This is a VERY drinkable beer. I would keep this permanently stocked if I could. (438 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +16.2%

On tap at Mike's garage, thanks to Mike and Dale for sharing!
Well this is definitely one heckuva brew. Beautiful deep orange color, not quite amber to me. Thick lumpy clumpy head with lace that adheres to the glass like a champ!
Aroma-full on hop bomb that explodes with citus and a faint hint of sweet malty aroma is there as well.
Mouthfeel-thick resinous malt body that is so laden with hops I am in heaven. Grapefruit and numerous citrus characteristics that are like nothing I have ever had. This is what I was hoping my Dreadnaught would be, no offense, but this Imperial IPA is over the top and I like it. The finish stays the same. A froth on the palate only intensifies the flavors and gets some of the malt sweetness to get past the hops. Well worth the wait! I had eaten earlier and after two glasses, I was done for the night. Almost a 5.... (857 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This IPA stands out amongst other IPAs. This particular IPA tastes similar to India Pale Ale on tap at Avery but on steroids. One of my top beers for sure! (155 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +16.2%

I almost fell over when I saw this on the shelf at my local bottle shop. I bought all six bottles they had, and inquired about getting more. Have been wanting to try this for awhile now. Poured from a bomber into a standard pint glass.

A- pours a cloudy amber/orange with three fingers of dense white foam. Plenty of bubbles. Looks great!

S- Hops! Hops! Hops! Then citrus, caramel, rasins, and a bit of spice. Creamy, malty goodness follows. It has me salivating as I watch the head start to dissipate. This is going to be good!

T- First the hops, bright and bitter. Citrus, raisins, and spice (from the hops presumably). This is followed by a great malt backbone, rich and creamy. Alcohol is definitely present, but is not overly obtrusive for a 10.2 ABV. This beer tastes like I want a DIPA to taste! It improves as it warms.

M- Oily, and viscous. Definitely a ton of hops in this baby, but the bitterness doesn't linger. The creamy malt comes along and leaves the finish dry and satisfying. Good carbonation.

D- I find this beer so tasty I could attempt to drink it all night. Unfortunately I know the high ABV would quickly catch up with me. I guess I'll limit myself to a single bomber on week nights, but on a Friday or Saturday I can see myself enjoying several of these bottles of hoppy goodness! Highly reccommended! (1,332 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +16.2%

AP: Clear coper. Yellow tinted tan head. Full coat of lace is left behind.

AR: Huge pink grapefruit pulp tones. Huge fresh hop aroma. Huge resiny, canabis tones. Huge pungency. One of the best smelling DIPAs I've come across.

TST: This DIPA is more about Hop Flavor than actual hop bitterness. Juicy, grapefruit driven hop flavors are Huge. Bitterness is quite clean and long lasting, but not OverTheTop. Also pungent, rind-like qualities. Rich caramel malts lay down the foundation and don't get in the way.

MF: Lightly carbonated and medium bodied. Alcohol is barely detectable. It blends in nicely with the spiciness of the hops.

DK: One of my favorite DIPAs. Extremely rich, yet quite drinkable as well. This one could be dangerous. (751 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into what is essentially a GLBC short-stemmed wine glass, perhaps a large snifter.

A - A deep, rich golden-amber color, very clear and crisp looking. Active carbonation swarms about the glass. Healthy layer of head, about a fingertip deep, settles after the pour, retaining through the drink. Wonderful lacing left behind all over the glass. She's a beaut.

S - Highly hopped, with floral and mostly fruity scents emanating bountifully from the nose. Despite the high ABV, the beer gives off only slight hints of booziness. Delectable.

T - Very fruity. Grapefruit and other citrus tones, perhaps almost a fruit punch, dominate the taste. Great balance of malts and hops - alternately sweet and bitter. Aftertaste is mildly bitter with lingering hints of citrus hops and some sweetness. This is a tasty, tasty beer, yet not completely overpowering as DIPAs tend to be.

M - Like with the nose and the taste, this imperial IPA does not destroy your tongue. It is medium bodied and goes down very well for a beer of this high ABV and style.

O - I'm enjoying this about as much as I did when I had it on draft in Boston. Avery Brewing Co. has simply created a standard-setting brew with the Maharaja Imperial IPA. (1,242 characters)

Maharaja from Avery Brewing Company