1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Maharaja - Avery Brewing Company

MaharajaMaharaja

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

ABV varies slightly batch to batch.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-03-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maharaja Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,115 | Reviews: 1,707 | Show All Ratings:
ERASE21

Colorado

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

Read other reviews about how it poured. This is how it tasted to me...

The best Double IPA I've currently had. It sold out at my local best liquor store in about a week. I hope they get more. I'll be buying a case. It's better I thought, than Stone's 10th Anniversary Double IPA . Perfect balance of shock & comfort. Not your typical over-the-top punch in the face you might get from other overly hopped-up double IPA's, just perfect. The other ingredients are just as important here and they work perfectly together. Beware the ABV's. It doesn't taste like it has close to 10% at all. 2 bombers will go down smooth and then you will go down.

Just thinking about it makes my mouth wet.

04-18-2007 18:52:22 | More by ERASE21
pmcadamis

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

A - A big foamy three finger head rises above a red-orange (grapefruit juice) brew and stays around for quite some time. Enormous amounts of chalky, sticky, crusty lace sticks to the glass. The brew is slightly cloudy, and the color is amazing. Head retention is outstanding...especially for a high ABV beer.

S - Big time funky grapefruit and tangerine. Lots of apricot and canned mandarin oranges here too. Smells wonderfully juicy and hoppy, and the citrus is backed up by sweet syrupy malt notes. There is an almost sea salt air freshness to this, and a big earthy funk lays down some real complexity.

T - Big grapefruit hops with a lot of herbal notes too. Extremely fruity and fresh with huge mandarin orange syrup flavors, bitter herbs and grasses, and some nice salty....almost fishy notes. Green tea and fish food come to mind also. Tastes tropical to me...lots of jungle fruits (like mango) and herbal grassy flavors.

M - Sandy, gritty, juicy, acrid, and extremely dry. This stuff sucks the moisture out of your mouth and leaves a gritty dirty feeling behind. The aftertaste lasts for days....I'll be intermittently tasting big herbal hops the rest of the night for sure.

D - Outstanding. There really isn't anything about this one not to love...I couldn't drink more than one bottle though. An outstandingly complex and satisfying DIPA. This doesn't have quite the malt muscle of other top notch DIPAs though, but it makes up for it with the earthy herbal complexity and juicy freshness.

01-28-2008 19:22:50 | More by pmcadamis
dqderrick

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

22oz bottle from mbunje bought at Avery. Poured into Chimay goblet. Consumed in the 52°-55°F range. Batch 9, Bottled in Feb. 2009. There is nothing like consuming a good IIPA/DIPA the same month it was bottled.

A - 4.0
Looks like a great DIPA. White head, fair to good retention. Sparse lacing. Transparent copper brown.

S - 5.0
Bring on the hops! Seriously. Reminds me a bit of the Green Flash Imperial IPA. Very hop skunky. I'm a self-proclaimed and buddy-proclaimed hophead (buddy bought me the BA HopHead tee.) I can't get enough of the smell. Damn. Unmistakable citrusy pine.

T - 5.0
Exactly what I want from a DIPA. Nice hop bitter with enough malt sweet to provide balance. Powering through a solo mission bomber will be a delight.

M - 4.5
Near perfect mouthfeel. Smooth on the front... almost impossibly smooth for this much hops. Bitter bite on the of the tongue on the way down. I can't help but keep this in my mouth an extra second before swallowing.

D - 4.5
Scary drinkable. I wouldn't touch more than 22oz of it in a session. But, I will enjoy the whole 22oz. I would love to keep a bottle of this in the cellar to personally enjoy... and when fellow BA's visit so I can say.... "I have a bottle of the MAH-ha-RA-ja." What a perfect name for a superior DIPA/IIPA. Congratulations again to Avery.

02-28-2009 06:25:20 | More by dqderrick
ironarrow42

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

Just released - the March 2009 bottling.

Pours a brilliant, clear, coppery-orange hue with an eggshell coloured head that falls to a collar and large foamy patch.

Massive American hop aroma, with lots of orange peel and pine. Full bodied with a velvety, creamy texture. Enormous hops on the palate - loads of citrus peel and resinous pine with substantial bitterness. There's enough biscuity and caramel malt underneath to support the hop overload. Big, lingering resiny finish with some floral & citric hop notes.

Alcohol is evident but not overwhelming. As it warms, a honeyish note shows up. Beautifully integrated, massive brew. Some light lace remains on the glass.

03-20-2009 02:25:18 | More by ironarrow42
Brad007

Vermont

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

Pours a beautiful copper-amber color with a two-finger head into my glass.

Aroma is full of floral hops with grapefruit in the nose. Definitely a hell of an aroma.

Taste is full of floral hops with grapefruit being a dominant feature of the hop bite. There's a decent biscuit malt bite underneath as well. A hint of mint as well.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering floral hop bitterness and biscuit malt. A bit of alcohol lingers as well but basically serves to warm up the throat.

A very good example of the style. The hops are spot on and this beer is a hop lover's delight. Easy to drink and worth a try. You must seek this out.

04-26-2009 02:27:22 | More by Brad007
praufs01

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

Appearance - Hazy orange yellow with a big fluffy off-white head.

Aroma - Fresh cut pineapple and raw honey.

Mouthfeel - Medium to full bodied brew that has a creamy, slightly oily consistency that is perfectly scrubbed from the palate by just the right amount of carbonation.

Taste - Sweet pink grapefruit hop flavor up front that shifts to a tart orange zest middle and a dry bitter hop finish.

Overall - The beer smells divine and the flavors are pronounced and complex. Absolutely fantastic brew that could easily be classified as a masterpiece.

05-02-2009 00:05:47 | More by praufs01
MisterSH

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured into a tulip, my bottle says "bottled in June 2009 batch 10." It's October now so this bottle is about three months old or so, been sitting in my fridge for a couple weeks now for the right time. I paid $8.99 for this bomber.

Pours a reddish gold with a nice blonde finger thick head. Looks delicious, I haven't sniffed it yet but the aroma is beginning to waft up from the glass into my nose, this thing is pungent.

Aroma is immediately grapefruity, quite floral hops. A spicy, almost peppery note is apparent, with an element of apple or other sweet fruit. Also a bready malt note.

Taste: Bold and bitter up front, with a very strong, rather sweet malty backbone, and an unusually spicy, grassy finish. Some alcohol warmth (although not what you'd expect at 10.69%). Strongly malty and bready, this is exceptionally well balanced, just how I like an IIPA- not only hoppy, but malty as hell, at 102 IBU's this isn't even close to a hop-bomb, it's a huge beer overall and is surprisingly gentle on the palate. Alcohol is somewhat apparent, but aside from the buzz I am starting to feel as I type this, it is shockingly well hidden considering the beer's strength. This is a deviously drinkable beer.

Mouthfeel is perfect. Creamy, smooth, moderate/low on the carbonation.

WOW! Now this is my idea of a balanced, full bodied, satisfying IPA. Sweet, bitter, powerful, and delicious. A memorable brew and a new favorite for me. Without a doubt, a huge beer, formidable at 10.69%, but I'd crack a second one now if I had it without hesitation. Perhaps a little pricey for frequent consumption, it's worth every penny as a now and then treat when it's available.

10-06-2009 02:42:56 | More by MisterSH
HopsyTurvy

Oklahoma

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

I love this beer. Simple as that. Ok, ok so I am a bit of a hop head and the heavy hand of hops used in the creation of this bad boy definitely plays to my tastes. But, the 2010 release of this is quite well balanced with a sweetness that comes through after the initial hop assault. The 10.5% ABV does not overwhelm with an alcohol bite like other high % beers I've had, in fact if one's not careful that 10.5 will sneak up on you by the end of the bottle. Trust me I know. Indeed going through a bottle of this is quite easy as its a surprisingly drinkable beer. This beer is a must try for all, even the non-hop heads.

10-21-2010 15:53:43 | More by HopsyTurvy
smerrell

Spring 2012 release, in a bottle

A: Deep amber color, clear as day with a nice head and good lacing.

S: A pleasant, light grassy aroma

T: Excellent - great malt flavor and well-balanced hops. The big flavor dissipates very quickly
M: big, bold, and dry.

o: I've been looning forward to trying this for a long time, and I'm glad Ive had the chance. This is a beer that I wouldn't hesistate to recommend

06-06-2012 02:20:04 | More by smerrell
Beantownron

4.81/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Amazing IPA never disappointed by the maharaja. Always get the citrusy grapefruit notes and right upfront with the hops. finishes nice and dry.tasty as hell! love it! I give it an A + top 3 IPA's all time. Avery is quickly becoming one of my favorite breweries . it's like they can do no wrong.

02-11-2013 08:13:19 | More by Beantownron
circus_cat

4.81/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A: Beautiful clear burnt orange all the way through with a soapy white head that has disappeared to a ring around the sides of the glass and a bubbly island in the middle. Scattered lacing and alcohol legs are revealing themselves.

S: Punched in the nose by hops and all the glorious things that come with them. Definitely a West Coast aroma filled with sweet tarts, hop resin, all the tropical fruits (notable mango, passion fruit, and pineapple). Grapefruit bomb in the background with just a TOUCH of pine.

T: Candy sweetness and tropical fruits on the tip of my tongue. A surprising touch of biscuity yeast through the palate that is overwhelmed by grapefruit all the way through. Then the end comes and your taste buds really feel those hops with a blast of bitterness that lingers on. As it warms I get a bit of pine.

M: Thick, almost chewy--and smooth. A bit strange for an IPA but I really like it. Never had my tastebuds scraped off by velvet like this before :)

O: I would say that a picture of this beer would appear in the dictionary next to "Huge American IPA" but it has these qualities that make it superior to other hopbombs I've had, namely its drinkability (shocking for a 10% ABV beer) and balance with the yeastiness.

I haven't had Heady Topper or either of the Plinys yet, but if they're better than this (which I imagine they are) I'm excited for the day I try them.

03-13-2013 15:11:14 | More by circus_cat
brentk56

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color with a nice head and good lacing

Smell: Wonderful grapefruit and pineapple hops on the nose

Taste: Extraordinarily well-balanced with a grapefruit and pineapple hops flavor on top of a sweet, malty backbone; after the swallow, the grapefruit bitterness builds along with the sweet malt to a powerful finish of minty intensity

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: This is a wonderful brew where a ton of hops are well-balanced by the malts and the combination masks the high alcoholic content of the beer

04-25-2005 14:15:20 | More by brentk56
OliasOfSunhillow

Colorado

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

2006 bottling. Differences from last year's batch: 1. More hops in the nose. Unbelievably rich, spicy, floral hop aroma. 2. Alcohol "hotness" is greatly reduced from 2005. Perhaps Avery's high-gravity brewing is becoming more refined and less aggressive. 3. Lower level of carbonation, plus very low head retention -- kind of barleywine-like in appearance.

All in all, a more elegant, much more drinkable Maharaja this year. Kudos to Adam and the boys down on Arapahoe Ave.

03-03-2006 02:11:09 | More by OliasOfSunhillow
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

Label reads “Bottled in Fed. 2006 Batch 3”. Poured from a 22oz. bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright amber color, with a short foamy white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is intense and is a well-blended combination of hops and citrus, very pleasant. There are some notes of caramel and vanilla in the back ground, but it’s pretty much hops and citrus all the way as a good 2IPA should be.

T: The taste is very well-balanced. The strong hops bitterness and sweet citrus flavors couple each other excellently. The malt character provides just enough substance to make the beer smooth. The after-taste maintains the balance of hops & citrus.

M: Smooth and very crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, very clean finish.

D: Very tasty, goes does easy enough, not-too-filling, excellent representation of style, I liked this beer a lot. The only thing I regret about buying this beer is that I didn’t buy it sooner. Looking forward to trying more beers from Avery as this was my first from them.

12-14-2006 04:57:05 | More by TheManiacalOne
ChazMania

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

Bomber from Batch 5 2007. I'm very happy....I first had this in bottle last summer at Najas and have wanted more ever since.

a) coloring of orange - amber. nice bubbly little head as it poured into my pint glass.

s) outstanding. crisp and refreshing aroma, pine, citrus, all the good dipa stuff.

t) holy schnikes! this kicks and is big and robust, flavor bigger than the aroma.

m) smooth and creamy with a full mouth texture feel. it really can be tasted from every part of my tongue.

d) I need more. I might have to go look for a case. Dang I wish I had a cellar.
This is up there with Pliny the Elder, 3 Floyds and Hopsickle.

03-21-2007 22:43:05 | More by ChazMania
giblet

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

Excellent brew! admittedly IPA is my favorite type of brew and this is one of the best. this is not just a top 25 for me but a top 5 so far. but, to be certain i have made the very easy decision to have many many more just to feel very sure that this is true. that will be a difficult task, but i am man enough for the challenge!

the aroma is a citris and hops and it only gets better from there!

i highly recomend this one. if you dont try it then that means there is more for me!

"Beer is proof that God loves man." Benjamin Franklin - words to live by!

giblet
[email protected]

06-13-2007 11:52:51 | More by giblet
becktone

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

On tap at Fries while at the Oberon release party, notes taken on a Bell's coaster.

Eye: Amber-orange-copper is the best way to describe this beer's color. It pours clear with a light head and little lace, this could be the glassware at the bar, I think that the sanitizer they use at bars almost always kills the head. Other than that it looks great.

Nose: Hops and more hops, citrus and floral. Great malt backbone to support it. Spicy notes from alcohol. This is how a double IPA should smell.

Tongue: This is one mean beer, very very hoppy-citrus and floral notes abound. There is alcohol warmth and spice...more intricate flavors than I care to investigate in this crowded bar. The alcohol is evident, but adds to the overall flavor of the beer.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: As afore mentioned some alcohol warmth. A damn fine beer, I'm definitely going to be drinking this one again, it is worth the price.

03-29-2008 15:48:57 | More by becktone
MrRetardedMonkey

New Hampshire

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a cloudy dark copperish amber with a one-finger off-white head that fades slowly to a thin cap leaving some thick lacing. Concentric rings left with each sip.

Smell is almost nothing but hops. There's some floral notes, grapefruit rind, orange peel, and lots of pine. There's also a hint of spearmint and some alcohol.

Taste starts with some oily, resinous pine and bitter grapefruit rind. There's some caramel malt trying to balance things out, but it is quickly lost to some warming alcohol and more resinous hop oils. Mango and toasted bread lead into some more bitter grapefruit with a touch of caramel, for a wonderful bittersweet finish.

Oily, but smooth, full-bodied mouthfeel.

An incredible DIPA. If it wasn't for the high ABV, I'd want to drink this one all the time.

08-08-2008 20:58:10 | More by MrRetardedMonkey
SaintArnold

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

I am just now getting around to reviewing this beer. I waited a year for this batch to come out and bought two cases of this most excellent beer. This is the only IPA that I have found so far that can stand toe to toe with Stones Ruination. I love this beer. Bow down to his holiness the Maharaja and he may just let you sample this nectar of the gods.

It was poured from a 22oz bomber into my fancy smancy Sam Adams glass.

A- The appearance is of honey that poured a beautiful fluffy white 2" head that left excellent lacing on the glass.

S- The smell of hops punches you in the face in a way that only a hophead could appreciate. I smell pineapple, grass and faint traces of spice.

T- You have to let this one warm up just a bit to truly appreciate all the wonderful flavors this beer has to offer. Its only after it warms up that the malt can compete with the hops.

M- There was a velvety smooth feel to the tongue, with a very nice tingling of the hops that was left on the back of the pallet.

D- I personally think this beer is very drinkable. I love this beer and waited a whole year to have it again. However, if you are not into hops you should stay the hell away from this beer. I will deduct some points for that reason alone.

04-18-2009 22:06:43 | More by SaintArnold
btorsdog

Maharaja-=Big king=Big Beer= OUYSTANDING
Picture Perfect Pour,DEEP golden orange with two finger magestic head.
Subdued malt scent with lots of hoppiness,citrusy,grapefruity,honey,Care for an Hawaiian Punch?
A slice of Heaven came down and slapped me when this hit my tounge,WoW, What a great job of putting everything together in a complex but balanced package!
More quality comes through in the mouthfeel,Crisp but with a lingering wetness and sweetness with a alchohol presence,similar to a well orchestrated piece of music,very nice!
Drinkability is Superior,each sip leaves you wanting another,the sooner the better. Top Notch Stuff!

07-27-2010 00:19:40 | More by btorsdog
Georgiabeer

Georgia

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

Man oh man- fresh Maharaja on-tap at the Brick Store Pub. Gotta love it. Well, I do anyhow. I love this beer, and the fresher the better. This is fresh! Pours a dark orange amber with a very full head that fades to thin cap but leaves lacing that coats the glass. Smells nicely of summit hops, and is hugely herbal. Taste is similar- a citrus and herb explosion with enough sweet malt to balance things. Very smooth in the mouth and juicy. A great experience!

08-25-2010 13:07:31 | More by Georgiabeer
JMOvechkin

Maryland

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

Bought this in a bomber and poured it into a snifter. I found this at a local liquor store that doesn't carry too many craft beers. On this small shelf off to the side they had Trappiste 10 and 8 along with some Stone and this bad boy was sitting in the back covered in dust, aged, just like I like it. It was wonderful.

A: First I love the art and description on the bottle. The color of the beer was beautiful and the head was thick and inviting.

S: I really enjoyed the light citrusy and fruity waves I received upon opening it, it put butterflies in my tummy

T: Delicious. The blend of ingredients were perfect. The ABV was perfectly masked and there was no overpowering flavor, very smooth and hoppy.

M: Light and smooth with small bubbles distributed evenly over my tongue.

D: Almost too easy. If I had this in a pint, I might have drank it too quickly. I will certainly drink this beer again. One of the best IIPA I have had to date.

11-10-2010 15:59:34 | More by JMOvechkin
dnolan36

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

Probably the best IIPA I have ever had. Had it on tap at Cape Fear Wine And Beer in Wilmington, NC.

Poured a beautiful golden orange color with a nice frothy white head.

Smelled strongly of citrus, mainly grapefruit and orange. Also a nice malt smell on the back end.

The tasted is similar to the aroma, very strong citrus hops taste upfront followed by the nice malty finish.

I wish they brewed this year round. It is a must try and I recommend it to everyone that asks me about IIPA's.

03-22-2011 13:06:17 | More by dnolan36
SDtastentune

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

A - Darker DIPA, nice head and lace.

S - Smells of grapefruit hops, alcohol ans some malt background.

T - Taste is rich hop grapefruit alcoholish and stron, great example of the style.

M - Normal larger bubble medium carbonation, pretty hot and hoppy brew, goes down nice with a rich aftertaste of hops.

O - Very nice brew, great DIPA flavor with some great grapefruit and malt mixture of hops. I would consider this a great example of DIPA.

04-08-2011 05:15:51 | More by SDtastentune
philerman

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

Purchased a bomber on Superbowl Sunday and fridge-aged since then from Batch 17 (2013). ABV appears to be dialed up one notch (bottle says 10.4%). All the hype over Hopslam and I think this is every bit its equal, maybe a bit less fruity but has the same drinkability. Goes down easy and doesn't disappoint. A true winner from the Rocky Mountains and definitely in the rotation.

02-18-2013 22:00:26 | More by philerman