Maharaja - Avery Brewing Company

MaharajaMaharaja

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-03-2005

Maharaja is derived from the sanskrit words mahat, meaning “great”, and rajan, meaning “king”. Much like its namesake, this imperial IPA is regal, intense and mighty. With hops and malts as his servants, he rules both with a heavy hand. The Maharaja flaunts his authority over a deranged amount of hops: tangy, vibrant and pungent along with an insane amount of malted barley – fashioning a dark amber hue and exquisite malt essence. Welcome to his kingdom!

The Maharaja is the second installment in our Dictator Series.

102 IBUs

ABV varies slightly batch to batch.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maharaja Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,779 | Hads: 5,139
4.48/5  rDev +6.9%

First had this on tap and it blew me away, so now I'm reviewing it from the bottle. Pours a very rich copper with one just over one finger of frothy head, and it leaves an excellent lacing as the head dissipates to a thick ring around the glass.

Smells lovely on the nose, with grassy hop petal up front with just a hint of pine, and a well rounded floral finish. Light citrus and malt in there as well.

Absolutely delicious. The hops bite you up front but quickly smooth to reveal all kinds of robust flavor. Flowers, citrus, fruits, pine, a bit of a grassy feel towards the finish. It's all there and more. The hops leave your tongue tingling for more.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, but full. Not so thick that it's syrupy and not so thin that it's oily. Great balance

This is one dangerous beer. So incredibly delicious. The alcohol is hidden so well. I'm barely halfway through my glass and I can already tell that this is one to watch out for. Ahhh but temptation...I'll be having many more! (1,009 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured into a tulip, my bottle says "bottled in June 2009 batch 10." It's October now so this bottle is about three months old or so, been sitting in my fridge for a couple weeks now for the right time. I paid $8.99 for this bomber.

Pours a reddish gold with a nice blonde finger thick head. Looks delicious, I haven't sniffed it yet but the aroma is beginning to waft up from the glass into my nose, this thing is pungent.

Aroma is immediately grapefruity, quite floral hops. A spicy, almost peppery note is apparent, with an element of apple or other sweet fruit. Also a bready malt note.

Taste: Bold and bitter up front, with a very strong, rather sweet malty backbone, and an unusually spicy, grassy finish. Some alcohol warmth (although not what you'd expect at 10.69%). Strongly malty and bready, this is exceptionally well balanced, just how I like an IIPA- not only hoppy, but malty as hell, at 102 IBU's this isn't even close to a hop-bomb, it's a huge beer overall and is surprisingly gentle on the palate. Alcohol is somewhat apparent, but aside from the buzz I am starting to feel as I type this, it is shockingly well hidden considering the beer's strength. This is a deviously drinkable beer.

Mouthfeel is perfect. Creamy, smooth, moderate/low on the carbonation.

WOW! Now this is my idea of a balanced, full bodied, satisfying IPA. Sweet, bitter, powerful, and delicious. A memorable brew and a new favorite for me. Without a doubt, a huge beer, formidable at 10.69%, but I'd crack a second one now if I had it without hesitation. Perhaps a little pricey for frequent consumption, it's worth every penny as a now and then treat when it's available. (1,668 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -13.4%

Bottled in June so this one is fairly fresh. Served in a dimple mug.

A - Normal pour produces a frothy one inch head with good retention and some lacing.

S - Pineapple and sweet bready malt. Juicy citrus, too. Very fruity.

T - I get some floral notes and the bitterness is pronounced. The sweet malt and fruity esters are lying underneath but are really dominated by the bitterness. I'll give Avery lots of credit for hiding the > 10% ABV well as I don't really enjoy alcohol flavors in the DIPA style.

M - Creamy and on the fuller-bodied end of the spectrum.

D - Just OK. I'll enjoy this bomber but I would not session this one which is probably good considering the ABV.

Glad I finally got around to trying this. I'll probably grab it again when I am really need a hop fix. (785 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a vibrant dark orange color, with an off-white somewhat creamy head. Nose is very similar to Bells Hopslam, but with more of a malt background to give the intense grapefruit some backbone. Really smells of great citric fruit. The nose leads you to believe that there is going to be something incredibly interesting and possibly maybe quite a balance to the hops, but that doesn't happen. Intense hop pine, roasted grapefruit which is interesting but doesn't add a balance to the alcohol. Surprisingly there is a creamyness throughout the whole palate with the malts! Very tasty, although showing a little more alcohol than i would like. Just like rolling into a club, and seeing the hottest hop from a distance and you want to take that hop home for sure. After some hardcore krunk dancing, the dance is over and the lights turn on to reveal that miss hoppy isn't as treal as you thought. Even though you aren't 100% down, you still put that hop in your whip and take it home. Also you roll that hop in some peanut butter. (1,028 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.6%

Bottle, first batch of 2008. Poured cloudy orangish yellow with a nice thick head. Nose reeked of colombus hops, fruity and piney. Tastes mainly hoppy with sweet, fruity and piney notes, slightly boozy (second batch of 2008 tasted slightly sweeter). A personal favorite Imperial of mine, love it, can't wait til February. (321 characters)

1.57/5  rDev -62.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

This is one nasty beer. I will admit that this bomber has been sitting in my fridge for 4-6 weeks, so maybe the problem is that it ages horrifically, but my god, this was awful.

It looked pretty as I poured it into an imperial pint glass, but it was all down hill after that. The aroma was subdued, but what there was was bitter in a way that I can't associate with any known type of hops.

The taste was also bitter, but not in a pleasurable, hoppy way. More of a getting a mouthful of gasoline when you do a shitty job of siphoning way. It just burned itself into the roof of my mouth and back of my tongue and would not go away.

I see from the reviews here that a lot of people have had a much better experience with this beer than I did, so it may have been a bad bottle or at least a bottle with too much age on it. I couldn't find any dating on the bottle, but unless it was several years old, there's no excuse for it going THIS bad. But there are so many great DIPAs out there that I enjoy regularly, I will not be giving this one another shot. (1,055 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

A: Pours a beautiful amber color with a perfect finger width white head. The head retains very well along the side of the glass.

S: This is the definition of a "citrusy" aroma when describing an IPA. Not too over powering either, but there is a slight indication of the ABV that leaves a tingling in the nose.

T: Delicious, utterly delicious. Amazingly well balanced for a imperial IPA. The hops coat the entire mouth, but it is the taste of the hops not the bitterness that really comes through. The malts add a very pleasant sweetness that perfectly compliment the hops. The most amazing aspect is the alcohol taste from the10.3% ABV is practically obsolete.

M: Coats the palate with a perfectly carbonated chewy hoppiness that is expected of most imperial IPAs. The hops are more focused on the entire mouth and not just the bitter area on the back of the tongue. The malts help to keep that overpowering of the hops effect that most other imperials have.

O: This is probably my favorite imperial IPA and I always snatched it up whenever it's available. The hops and malts work astoundingly well together, and combine to make an exceptional brew. Definitely a must if available, cheers! (1,193 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

Appearance: Translucent Copper; Some Floaties; Bubbly, Off-White Head; Vigorous Carbonation; Great Lace
Smell: Dank; Catty; Citrus Rind; Herbal Hops; Over-Ripe Banana, but not in a wild-yeast way.
Taste: Dank; Crème Brule; Herbal Hops; Oniony?; Alcohol
Mouth-feel: Medium Body; Medium Carb, Resinous, Dry Alch Finish
Overall: Wonderful DIPA
Comments: If anything, I would like a little less Alcohol on the finish. (418 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Pour: poured a nice light brown with a slight tan head that was pretty thick

Smell: piney with a sweetness

Taste: being 102 ibus this is a hoppy beer hops hops hops all over the pallet. The malts in this beer are pretty strong to ease the bitterness but its not enough everytime you take a drink the hops are kicking at your tongue making your taste buds tingle.

Overall: this is one bitter beer and i loved it. Just the way a imperial ipa is suppose to be. (462 characters)

I'm from Portland. Home of many fine beers. However, this is simply the finest brew in production today. If u can find it... Buy it... Drink it. Rejoice. (154 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.6%

A - Orange with a slight white head and full of hop haze goodness.

S - WOW! Tropical fruits and citrus scream out of the glass and tap. So Fresh!

T - The aroma was just the start of this one. Huge malts notes blend with the hops and bitterness to make this one amazing beer!

D - At almost 11% its not the most drinkable beer but man this is a great beer. I could definitely have more then one of these. (405 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

22oz bomber into a tulip. Purchased by my wife because "it has a cool bottle."

A - a nice, deep, copper color. Resembles amber when held to the light.

S - little bit of booze up front. Grapefruit, mango, and other citrusy goodness. The nose has some depth to it and is quite pleasant.

T - Excellent. Really high quality. There is a lack of malt balance in the nose but the beer is extremely balanced and for a high ABV IPA its not too hop forward. Very well done.

M - None of that unpleasant overtly pine after taste. A bit too syrupy but I am being picky here.

O - I'm glad my wife liked the bottle! You can't go wrong with this IPA. (639 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

clear orange/amber color with a nice slightly off-white head.

Smells of earthy, oily, resinous hops, piney, with big citrus notes, definately some caramel hints also.

Lot of hops, but then a nice amount of malt.

Very flavorful.

Overall a nice combination, not too strong, yet full of body. (295 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I found a bottle of this brew in a local grocery store with a reasonable release date of No. 17 2013. The bottle was labeled 10.4% ABV and 1 pint 6 oz. (22 oz.). I had read about this Imperial Pale Ale from Avery Brewing Co. and considered it a lucky opportunity just to give it a test flight.

Poured into a 22 ounce glass the color was amber with a thick head that left substantial lacing. The aroma was very busy with hops, citrus, and malty sweetness dominating.

The taste was thick and rich with the malt balanced simultaneously with the bitter hops along with grapefruit and floral flavors. The flavor profile was solid all the way through to the long, lingering finish.

The beer has a rich, luscious mouth feel throughout all the way past the light to medium carbonation and lovely lingering finish.

Overall this beer adds new and welcome taste dimensions to the Imperial IPA battle ground and I highly recommend it. While this is my first beer from Avery Brewing, it won’t be my last. (998 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -2.4%

reviewed in April 2009

A) bright orange/amber lacing. looks smooth and nicely carbonated. two inch head.

S) best part of this beer. nice hop profile.

T) nice bitterness, reminds me of a love child between pliny the younger and white knuckle .

F) smooth and then hop/alch burn on the end of the throat.

D) worth the $8. could drink a lot of this. (351 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -3.1%

A- Amazing, a clean white head that left layers of intricate lacing throughout. Color was a really great orange, like a hazy sunset, clarified as it settled into a great looking imperial beer.

S- big hops. big grassy, citrusy, earthy hops. big time. one of the best smells out there

T- again, big hops, but to be expected. great, refreshing, full hop flavor. Delivers on its promise of 103 IBUs. after the rush, it settles a bit into a really great IPA maltiness that pervades for the second act. the hops are the first flourish, and remain a backbone throughout, but they give way to a delicious maltiness that rounds out the brew. hop flavor not as well rounded as stone ruination (the only other iipa i can compare with) but does a really great job, getting almost all the way there

M- wonderful. maltiness became sticky at moments, but nothing a BA can't handle.

D- I was very nervous about this because I was handling a bombing mission solo, getting my 22oz hop fix in soliloquy. the reviews made mention of the 10%, so i expected this to be one hot hop bomb, but honestly the booze masks itself extremely well and though I knew it was there, it didn't take anything away overall.

really great brew, would possibly get again, but only if ruination wasn't available. (1,276 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

March 2011 Batch

A- hazy burnt orange color 2 finger cream colored head w/ small bubbles...ok head retention left some good lacing..great looking beer....bubbles streaming from the bottom

S- a mostly malty nose but still some balance...getting slight citrus plus some fantastic toffee malts

T- Same as the nose, mostly malt up front with the sweet toffee bready malt...fantastic...plus getting the hop bitterness at the end..as the i get further into the beer a flavor (maybe vanilla) as well as some booziness emerges between the malt and hop bitterness at the end...delicious!

M- Real smooth drinker...med bodied for sure and flavors glide over the tongue nicely...after a few sips there is some dryness that kicks in and stays at the top of the mouth for a bit...not too dry though

O- Great beer from the look to the smell and the taste matches the smell...sweet toffee malt and hop bitterness...different from some of the other dipa i have had recently and it certainly a class beer and love to try this fresh (1,019 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A very unique DIPA. Very piney. Not very hop forward. Finishes smooth and surprising. I am currently under the influence of this 10.5+ abv masterpiece and WOW, I could not tell the alcohol while I was drinking it. Not a hop forward DIPA, which is what made this such a surprising beer. Very happy to have this beer. Will buy in a bomber soon. (342 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Feb 2008 Batch. Bomber was refrigerated since the first day it was in my beer store.

I had doubts that it wouldn't be as fresh as I wanted and I really wanted to find the May batch.

I was not disappointed at all.

A: Beautiful amber color with a thick, creamy white head. Tons of sticky lacing the whole way down the glass.

S: All the sweet notes I love in DIPAs were here. This one smells exceptional to me. Sweet grapefruit, floral, hints of pine.

T: This one drinks with very little bitterness to me, at least not in the pucker yur lips sense. Lots of citrus.

M: A delight in my mouth. Not too thin, or too think.. perfect carbonation.

D: This was a refreshing DIPA, I loved every sip of it and I want more. This was one of my first DIPAs years ago and I don't know why I waited so long to revisit. Very easy to drink.. I could do 2 bombers, but one laid a nice buzz on me.

Paired this with (don't laugh I was hungry and getting a bit drunk) Cracked Peppercorn Triscuits - American cheese - and roasted turkey breast. It tasted great to me! (1,053 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Beautiful amber cherry pour. Frothy, fruity, sugary, tons of hops, and very alcoholic. Complex, a terrific finish, and very drinkable. I could have these until I fell off the barstool.

I liked it so much the next day I went to Whole Foods and snagged a bomber of it which I found equally tasty. I'm gonna put this one into my regular IPA rotation.

A pretty damn perfect double IPA. I think it's probably Avery's best beer too.

Aaron
www.theviceblog.com (455 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +6.4%

22 oz bomber poured into a Coca Cola bell glass (http://www.collectorsconnection.com/imagesh5/47a073.jpg) - hey, it's sorta shaped like an imperial pint glass...

A - extremely cloudy, deep amber/orange body; small <1 finger head builds but instantly dies. The lacing is incredible; spots and trails follow the beverage level down the glass, and the foamy remnants of the head are taking forever to die away completely

S - orangey, citrusy inviting hops dominate but the unmistakable presence of a malt blanket is there even in the nose

T - oh my god...hoppiness everywhere, bright, sharp hops ring out even as the malt backbone quickly follows along, quelling some of the brighter hops and leaving a more balanced aftertaste

M - smooth and silky; the aftereffect (thanks to the malt) is not a depraved, post-hop drymouth, it is instead a very subtle bitterness, one that leaves this reviewer's thirst well quenched and ready for another sip

D - Beautiful...let's have another. Too bad I only bought one.

Picked this up on a recommendation, REALLY glad I did. Got the duganA while I was there, but it was even sharper and brighter with less of a quenching aftertaste (my tasting notes call it "the granny smith of IPAs"). They warned me that Maharaja > duganA...I guess they know their stuff! (1,304 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11%

A strong contender for the best Imperial IPA available. The best thing about this beer is that as it warms up the hop bouquet really becomes more and more complex: wild, grassy, dare I say wild oniony/garlicky? Weird, I know, but somehow it works. Pineapple and syrup mix with honeyed grapefruit. A must have for any hophead. (325 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

22 oz bomber into DFH snifter. Bottled about a month ago. Batch 11.

a- reddish copper orange, 1/2 inch of head that fades quickly

s- Dank resiny citrus mango. Hop riot. AMAZING. PTE look out.

t - Follows the nose. Citrus, sweet mango, some malt then bitter on the finish.

m- Mouthfeel is good but nothing amazing. Maybe it needs more carbonation???

d- I love it me. So easy to drink.

I feel that Maharaja gives PTE a run for its money. It is an amazing DIPA. PTE is enamel destroying but it just doesn't have the aromatics that Maharaja does. DIPA/IPA's do not get much better than this. (593 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

A - Golden in color, with a nice creamy head comprised of very small bubbles with great retention. Dense lacing that sticks around.
S - Piney mixed with orange scent. Very pleasant nose.
T - Citrus and pine taste with a nice hoppy bite.
M - Nice mouthfeel, not heavy or thick but definitely not thin.
D - I can drink quite a few of these bombers. Very drinkable although one that keeps you from drinking too quickly enabling the ability to savor the flavor.

My bottle reflects differently from above stated ABV showing 10.54% with an OG of 1.090. Batch 7 Bottled in Feb. 2008. (577 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -2.9%

Drank on-tap out of a tulip glass. Cloudy amber with a decent head to it and better lacing than I would have expected, given the alcohol content.

Beautiful floral smells. I could have spent the entire time just breathing in the aroma and feel like I'd gotten my money's worth.

Strong hoppy citrus flavors in the introduction, followed by decent malt flavor. Finishes with overpowering piney oils that may be a bit over the top.

Incredibly rich mouthfeel, among the best I've had, though it missed the 5 by having a bit less carbonation than I felt it deserved. Could have been a fluke, though, because I've had other draft beers come across as under-carbonated because they were either from the bottom of the keg or from a keg that wasn't finished quickly enough.

Drinkability goes down because this beer is so overpowering that it almost precludes conversation. As a friend who sipped my beer said, "that's work", and then immediately afterward commented that his Lagunitas IPA tasted a bit insipid by comparison. Also, I had donated blood earlier in the day, and the effects of the alcohol were downright distracting by the time I got to the bottom of the glass. Not that I would have considered not finishing it, however.

I will definitely order this beer the next time I'm at Korova, a bar on the Commons in Ithaca, NY. (1,341 characters)

Maharaja from Avery Brewing Company