1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Maharaja - Avery Brewing Company

MaharajaMaharaja

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

ABV varies slightly batch to batch.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-03-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maharaja Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,114 | Reviews: 1,707 | Show All Ratings:
DrKnoskelson

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I nearly crapped my pants when I was finally able to locate this beer at the Foodery in Northern Liberties. While ridiculously over-priced ($11.99) this beer has been on the top my list for too long for me to pass up.

Purchased in 22oz bottle, chilled for 12 hours.
Upon opening the bottle hop aroma immediately apparent.

No bones pour, full aeration of the beer revealed an attractive amber color with a thick off white head.

Nice aroma, but for an imperial IPA I was expecting more.

I've never had a beer with such a complete mouth taste of hops. Bitter but not overwhelming, sweet, but not too sweet. Well balanced malty body with grossly hopped flavor. Very slight alcoholic taste that should accompany any imperial beer. No complex aftertaste. Does not dry the mouth out. Definitely leaves you wanting more, trying to search out that dry mouth, over hopped characteristic that I've grown used to.

I found the beer to beer on par for drink ability for an imperial IPA.

Overall, a defining beer for an imperial IPA.

04-11-2008 03:22:29 | More by DrKnoskelson
RThomas436

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

I had heard alot of hype regarding this fermented malt beverage. So going in I had God like aspirations for it - low and behold it delivered.

It poured a clear copper color almost like a penny. The head was creamy like fresh whipped cream.

The nose was like fresh cut fruit; oranges, grapefruits, clementines. I was also getting some melon in there as well.

Tastes like fresh hops with a malty body and bitter finish. I was expecting more carbonation however, aside from this minor flaw this beverage delivered upon all the hype.

If there is one thing to enhance I would add more citrus hop flavor and reduce the malty body.

In fact this is the beer that Chuck Norris drinks

11-14-2008 03:52:52 | More by RThomas436
lynchtae

Ontario (Canada)

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%

This a malty hoppy monster. A bit more malty than hoppy, and at over 100 ibus that is a lot of malt. Cracked this open after a long day of work on a chair in my backyard...it's really complex, I am just figuring it out. This one starts off sweet, but finishes bitter - like a woman. it has a really nice bitter core surrounded caramel and toffee malts and hops that I would call earthy rather than citrusy. Clever name, king of IPA's...

07-08-2011 23:02:05 | More by lynchtae
BeerHo

4.69/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Avery usually delivers a great product and this beer did not disappoint! It was served in a 12 ounce tulip glass and the copper color immediately captured my attention! The thick 1.5 finger foam seemed to be just floating on top leaving a nice lingering sticky lacing on the glass. The bouquet was sweet with mild maltiness and caramel with bitter orange peel. The first sip totally enveloped my tongue like a warm comforter would my body in a cold winter day! The flavors of star fruit, grapefruit and blood orange with hints of mango are unmistakable and delightful with the blood orange and grapefruit lingering long after the sip is gone! This beer left me wanting more because of how delicious it is but be careful, at 10.4 ABV this beer will sit you down in a hurry! This is certainly one of those powerhouse beers you must take your time with to enjoy! Avery has hit it out of the park with this one! If you are a fan of the Troeg's Nugget Nectar then you will like this beer! It's like the Nugget Nectar on steroids! Well done Avery and thanks to the West Reading Tavern in West Reading, PA for serving it on tap!

03-12-2013 18:04:56 | More by BeerHo
lanciloti

4.63/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bomber into a snifter glass. (release #18 2014)

Appearance: A dark amber color, not like most. Nice fluffy head just a little off white.

Smell: Awesome hop aroma. Get a lot of caramel smell as well.

Taste: Very nice, has great amount of malty sweetness that has a caramel taste. You also get all the hops and bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Amazing mouthfeel, probably because of the malt. Very full bodied and creamy. Goes down great.

Overall: One of my favorite brews. Must try, Avery did a great job on this one. Got this as an extra in a Pliny trade and I think I may like it a bit more (although they re very different) Cheers!

02-22-2014 19:30:39 | More by lanciloti
HaVoKnYnJ

4.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

First: I've NEVER been a fan of IPAs, having always found them far too bitter, and far too lacking in taste to make up for the bitter. However, when I realized I could get this Avery concoction locally, I knew I had to try it. However, I have no previous experience with IPAs, except for having avoided them in various mixed cases, probably much to the delight of other serious beer drinkers!

That said: Holy crap!

When poured into my Ommegang Hennepin glass, the beer was a deep orange color, yellow in the highlights...somewhat cloudy. The head was a small-bubbled tan, which faded to a nice thick lace...

Smell was a little off-putting at first...but I've come to realize I equated the ability to smell hops with the beer being skunked. So, after my initial 'ew' reaction, I gave it another sniff. mmmm...a complex weave of hops aromas....

The bitter taste I feared was well represented, but surrounded and enfolded in citrus-y hops, somewhere between lemon and grapefruit in acidity. There was also a solid bit of maltiness behind it, rounding out the taste quite a bit. Surprisingly drinkable, I sipped my way though a large bottle of my first Imperial IPA in a *very* short period of time.

I have no idea how it stacks up against other ipas, but now I've ready to go find out!

08-02-2006 19:22:58 | More by HaVoKnYnJ
yodaseo

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is from 1 pint 6 oz bottle from batch 6, bottled in may 2007 (charles st). the initial pour gave rise to a beautiful cream colored head which was just as soft and cloudy on the lips as it looked in the glass. the smell of tangy citrus immediately filled my nostrils with a ton of hops not far behind it. the taste was a bit coarse as the alcohol wasn't masked as well in the flavors and smell as i generally prefer, though this is a 9.7%. all 102 IBUs attacked my taste buds as the beer warmed its way down my throat. the initial blast of citrus, followed by a wave of hops, finished with a long and dry bitter finish made this one hell of a mouth full. the drinkability suffers a bit from the roughness of the alcohol, and i would have liked the hops to define the taste rather than the citrus. but all in all, a fantastic american DIPA. this would last for 18 trips to india.

08-08-2007 04:28:35 | More by yodaseo
Figgy

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

This was the beer that a an old high school friend told me that when you get to heaven they hand you a Maharaja. The taste grabbed me then and does again for an actual tasking. It gave a nice blond head, with a slightly dark overall color. Both the smell and taste lets the grapefruit taste come through. And important to me, the taste stayed through the whole 22 oz. bottle. A pleasure to drink and reminded me that lesser beers in the past might have had a good initial taste, but the taste left quickly and the rest just tasted like beer. With the Maharaja, after the last sip, I wanted more.

08-19-2007 22:30:10 | More by Figgy
toddhett

District of Columbia

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Nice off-white head that quickly fades. Little lacing. Redish-brown color.

S - Surprisingly soft but thick aroma. Very fruity...perhaps apricot and pineapple. Not piney. Not a terribly complex aroma, but quite pleasant.

T - Sweetness that reminds me of the Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. This is not a West Coast IPA, there's no hop bite. Sweetness and fruit (pineapple without the tartness) on the front end with increasingly bitterness and then a gradual fade. While the bitterness is there, I don't find it to be as assertive as the 102 IBU's might suggest. Perhaps the sweetness from the malt keeps it at bay. Apparently, it's made with Magnum, Crystal, Centennial & sweet-sweet Simcoe hops. The bottle lists an ABV of 10.54% (seriously, they list the ABV to the hundreths place), but I don't taste the alcohol or feel much warming.

M - Good thickness, creamy bordering on syruppy.

D - What a great beer. Almost too good. The bottle was gone before I knew it. There's something to be said for a beer that fights you on the way down....at least then you acknowledge every mouthful.

This is comfort beer for hopheads. I'm going to buy a few more bottles.

04-03-2008 01:48:36 | More by toddhett
Bubslang

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

deep dark amber pour with a small off white head. Glorious hop aroma with both citrus and floral hops present. nice medium to full bodied mouthfeel with citrus and pine hops in the forefront, balanced with a nice sweet caramel malt backbone. very nice.

12-03-2008 23:29:23 | More by Bubslang
BeefTongue

Missouri

3.7/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer lent a nice one finger head that laced well on the pour. The floral aroma of the brew, a product of the lovely hoppiness, came out powerfully--the smell was my favorite part of this beer, it was delightfully refreshing, perhaps more intoxicating than the beer itself, I'd jest, but with its nearly 10% ABV, this brew packs a punch. The taste is good, but not terribly outstanding with regard to other nice IPA's. The bitterness of the hops predominates alongside a mild malty sweetness. The carbonation foams up in the mouth yielding a nice velvety mouthfeel; the beer goes smoothly down the throat. Overall, it's a tasty drink, but not one that I'd buy again over more preferable (and less expensive imperial IPA's). It's good's the point, but there are better beers of this sort.

03-28-2009 03:01:31 | More by BeefTongue
freescribbles

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

Dark, copper ale that pours with a rich thick head that laces nicely. Has a heavy taste to it with a strong hop profile and potent hops. Sediment collects on the bottom of the glass but doesn't come up with each sip/gulp. Definitely a tasty IPA that satisfies but not something that you could drink during a session.

06-26-2010 02:49:22 | More by freescribbles
MarkVegas

Nevada

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

Reviewing this beauty from notes taken a couple nights ago here at my lovely apartment in Sin City.

Poured into my Bruery tulip. Had this beer once before as part of a beer meet-up. Saw on the shelf in Cali very recently HAD to get it again.

A: Pours a clear amber color with a nice head floating on top and leaves a nice clingy lace to the side of the glass. Quite nice!

S: Deliciousness! Get that citrusy/grapefruity nose right away. Some caramel roasted malt characteristics too. Just awesome.

T: Get that citrus and pine hop bitterness that is all so inviting. There also is a definite maltiness to this brew that helps balance things out quite well. Also must note that this beer finishes pretty well and pretty long, loving it.

M: Carbonation done right. Just enough effervescence to be refreshing and not weigh down the palate. Very pleasing.

O: Very, very well rounded and balanced brew. Right up there with my favorite DIPAs.

08-29-2011 05:30:45 | More by MarkVegas
cfergusn

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

clear orange/amber color with a nice slightly off-white head.

Smells of earthy, oily, resinous hops, piney, with big citrus notes, definately some caramel hints also.

Lot of hops, but then a nice amount of malt.

Very flavorful.

Overall a nice combination, not too strong, yet full of body.

02-05-2012 20:31:13 | More by cfergusn
msarver16

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from 22 oz bottle. Pours a translucent, slightly hazy dark gold/ amber. 1 finger head with minimal lacing.

Smells like citrus hops, orange peel, pine sol, and brown sugar.

Taste is very bitter but oddly sweet. Maybe brown sugar and honey that follows an intense bitter, piney profile.

Mouthfeel is bitter, almost too much but the sweetness helps. Not bad.

Overall, I don't think it lives up to the hype but its good.

02-19-2012 04:17:55 | More by msarver16
BRLockwood

3.53/5  rDev -16.5%

A: A cloudy golden/amber color. It didn't have a large head but it may have been the pour. Carbonation isn't great either. It does, however, look rather inviting.

S: Smells a little roasty and a little piney.

T: It is definitely a well built beer and well balanced but what I'm looking for is an over the top hopfest, especially in an Imperial IPA! Hands down the Avery 11 Anniversary IPA is leaps and bounds tastier.

M: It has a real good mouthfeel, not overly heavy, and it is smooth going down. Very well on the carbonation too - not overly or under carbonated.

D: It's very easy to consume. If it wasn't listed at 10% abv on the bottle I'm not sure I would have beleived it - very well hidden. The second pour of the bomber gave a much better head - not great lacing though.

Overall impression leaves me wanting more and more hops.

Avery please return to making the 11 and make it a regular!

02-18-2007 22:27:46 | More by BRLockwood
rsvlbrwr

4.63/5  rDev +9.5%

Strong citrusy hop aroma. Excellent dark orange color with lingering head. Pine abnd grapefruit flavors from hops predominate with a definite lingering bitterness. Balanced well by malt though with slight sweetness in the finish. Alcohol is present but not overbearing. Truly a great beer! I wish I could get it in Sacramento.

04-27-2007 19:07:20 | More by rsvlbrwr
bretseeley

Arizona

4.78/5  rDev +13%

Being a relative rookie when it comes to Imperial IPA and quality beer in general, I can't help but think that maybe Maharaja has spoiled me.

Looks beautiful served on draft in a small brandy snifter. Looks like a burnt orange to me. The smell is amazing - a wonderful combination of citrus hops and some other fruity sweetness that I can't really place. The taste is probably even better than the smell. It's a perfect balance of hops and malt.

I lack the beer vocab to truly do Maharaja justice, but I'll just say it's a fantastic beer and the best IPA I've ever had to date. My only complaint is that I didn't discover this beer years ago. I could drink way too many of these.

03-23-2008 02:14:29 | More by bretseeley
hopstorm

Indiana

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

Wow, quite impressed with this one. Thanks to hearing about it on BA I picked one up at my sisters local store while in town over Easter. Whats great about this beer is that I let my friend try it (not really into hops, but I'm changing him) I was expecting bitter beer face but he said "wow, this is really good." And I thought this is awesome I have finally got him to really appreciate hops! Some reviews called it extremely bitter. I dont think so, and thats why my friend liked it - because it isnt. Its way more aroma and flavor. Piney and resiny while grapefruit and dank buds shine against a strong malty backbone. Delicious. I would have expected it to be a little fuller in body and there is a little alcohol bite. Definitely a sipper because it is a strong one. Almost in between Arrogant Bastard and Ruination, But very different indeed. Wish I could get it on the regular.

04-14-2009 03:55:07 | More by hopstorm
SaintArnold

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

I am just now getting around to reviewing this beer. I waited a year for this batch to come out and bought two cases of this most excellent beer. This is the only IPA that I have found so far that can stand toe to toe with Stones Ruination. I love this beer. Bow down to his holiness the Maharaja and he may just let you sample this nectar of the gods.

It was poured from a 22oz bomber into my fancy smancy Sam Adams glass.

A- The appearance is of honey that poured a beautiful fluffy white 2" head that left excellent lacing on the glass.

S- The smell of hops punches you in the face in a way that only a hophead could appreciate. I smell pineapple, grass and faint traces of spice.

T- You have to let this one warm up just a bit to truly appreciate all the wonderful flavors this beer has to offer. Its only after it warms up that the malt can compete with the hops.

M- There was a velvety smooth feel to the tongue, with a very nice tingling of the hops that was left on the back of the pallet.

D- I personally think this beer is very drinkable. I love this beer and waited a whole year to have it again. However, if you are not into hops you should stay the hell away from this beer. I will deduct some points for that reason alone.

04-18-2009 22:06:43 | More by SaintArnold
moosington

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a beautiful medium amber with a quickly dissipating one-finger head that leaves a healthy ring and nice lacing.

Aroma of a balanced sweet citrus and malt and a nice piney hop. Smells like an Imperial IPA.

Taste doesn't follow aroma as such. Though the sweetness is there (bit of pineapple) at first, it is almost instantly dominated by a solid hop kick, though it is a nice hop kick with a grapefruit bitterness that stays on the back of the tongue as a bridge to the next sip. I get no heat and the 10+% is very well hidden.

Mouthfeel is a highlight. Nice and full for the style with more than adequate carbonation to coat the tongue and open the tastebuds.

While I probably wouldn't spend the whole night drinking this, I could handle a few pints to start. Overall a very good Imperial IPA and worth checking out.

04-19-2009 03:03:51 | More by moosington
NonServiam

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle poured into a straight pub glass.

First impression after popping the cap: an aroma of citrus, sap, resin, some toffee or butterscotch.

Once poured, the aroma is much more earthy, with a sort of twiggy component. Bitter citrus.

The color is a bit oranger than copper, more like amber. Lightly carbonated.

A fine short, stout head forms and persists, lacing the glass throughout the session. It is an off-white, cream color.

The flavor begins with a sharp explosion of hop notes on the blade of the tongue. Fruit and malt slide up the sides and over the dorsum of the tongue, as the original hop blast melllows into something very malty-sweet and bready. The mouthfeel is appropriate: medium slick, not creamy, but not watery either. A certain sappy warmth clings to the back of the mouth, becoming a somewhat bitter aftertaste with no real alcohol bite.

Dangerously delicious and drinkable for the ABV.

04-25-2009 20:09:30 | More by NonServiam
cullen0013

South Carolina

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a Nonic glass.

A - Pours a rich copper with an off white head, leaving rings of lace on the glass as it's consumed.

S - Hoppy. Lots of pine. "Smells" resin-y and sticky.

T - Plenty of hop bitterness, potent alcohol character, hints of apricot.

M - Heavily carbonated, coats the mouth. See "sticky"

D - Hop bomb, high gravity. A good sipper, but not very sessionable IMHO.

08-12-2009 21:16:06 | More by cullen0013
Coutastic

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%

Served out of the tap into a 8oz snifter. Pours a dark caramel with a 2 finger head that doesn't hold very long. Good lacing lasts as long as the beer does.

Smells of deep citrus and very well balanced hops, both of which come out strong on the palate. A lot of grapefruit! Hops, Hops, Hops! It's almost PERFECT! Some Earth tones.

Love the carbonation, it dances. Leaves the mouth feeling dry, and an aftertaste of grapefruit and hops. I'll have another!

09-19-2009 18:16:08 | More by Coutastic
ERASE21

Colorado

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

Read other reviews about how it poured. This is how it tasted to me...

The best Double IPA I've currently had. It sold out at my local best liquor store in about a week. I hope they get more. I'll be buying a case. It's better I thought, than Stone's 10th Anniversary Double IPA . Perfect balance of shock & comfort. Not your typical over-the-top punch in the face you might get from other overly hopped-up double IPA's, just perfect. The other ingredients are just as important here and they work perfectly together. Beware the ABV's. It doesn't taste like it has close to 10% at all. 2 bombers will go down smooth and then you will go down.

Just thinking about it makes my mouth wet.

04-18-2007 18:52:22 | More by ERASE21