Maharaja - Avery Brewing Company

MaharajaMaharaja

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

ABV varies slightly batch to batch.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-03-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maharaja Alström Bros
JonathanG

Colorado

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

This was served to me at Freshcraft in LoDo, Denver in a 10-oz. Nonic pint glass. I requested a tulip glass and poured it into there to better assess and enjoy the beer.

A: Nice solid orangey-copper color with a 1-finger off-white head that took little coaxing to maintain. Lacing remained on top if left unattended and with a few swirls, the head came back.

S: Certainly wreaked of a DIPA, in a good way with aromas of hemp oil, pine, light citrus and light stonefruit notes (think nectarines and peaches), along with a bit of malt and grain to make it not so one-dimensional. Solid nose.

T: Hints of dried spice and mild white pepper, as well as anything-but-sweet nectarine and peach notes, as well as some light grapefruit notes. The pine resin also carried over onto the palate.

M: Palate was a little drier overall than I anticipated. Not in a bad way, it just wasn't as sweet as some other DIPAs out there, like DFH 90-Minute as a point of reference. Because it wasn't all that sweet, I'd call it medium+bodied.

O: I am proud to call Colorado home and feel fortunate to have so much great beer, this one being included, accessible and close to home. I'd happily drink this again, without reservation.

04-07-2011 18:45:24 | More by JonathanG
ciachef1212

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

Finally!!! I have been waiting for this beer since last year. This is my favorite Imperial IPA and this is why.

A- Pours golden in color and is very clear

S- It smells of grapefruit, mango, pine. Just a complex smelling beer.

T- I think what makes this beer is the taste. At first you are hit with this beautiful hop bitterness the can be very over powering to the faint of heart. Then the sweet malt hugs the tongue and draws you in more and more. Finally, it finishes really dry making you want more and more.

M- The mouthfeel is very sticky and resin like.

Overall- An awesome beer. I also really like this because its easy to find almost everywhere. I you haven't had this beer do your tongue a favor and make it your next purchase.

04-07-2011 13:06:28 | More by ciachef1212
cdkrenz

Wisconsin

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

I'm lucky enough to have a wife that buys me buy such as this.

A - Copper body with a dash of red kicked in. The head is the purest of white and has nice stamina at a quarter to a half inch.

S - Citrus hops with a sweet candy-like accent.

T - A combination of bitter hops with pine for a rather unique flavor. There is a hint of citrus and evaporating alcohol to act accordingly. I give Avery some credit for taking a stab at this flavor in an Imperial IPA. I've never really had anything like it. For that it's good, otherwise I'd say average.

M - Thick and sticky like any good DIPA should be. There's a slight coarse feel in the finish.

~ This isn't something I'll seek out again but I will recommend it to friends. The reason being, this is a unique flavored Double IPA. For that it should be sampled.

04-07-2011 00:18:03 | More by cdkrenz
Alieniloquium

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

22 oz. bottle poured into 2 pint glasses. I'd like to say I shared it... but I didn't.

Appearance - Dark amber color. Very dark for an IPA. Quite clear for an IPA, too. Cream head that disappears quickly, not much lacing, but there's a good amount of residual on the top of the beer.

Smell - Dominated by grapefruit. Great aroma. Sweet background caramel smell. Smells great and lets you know it's not a light IPA by any means.

Taste - Citrusy hop flavor. Not bitter at first. The fresh hoppiness gives way to a strong malt sweetness very quickly. The end is a bitter finish. As it warms it picks up a slightly odd aftertaste I can't quite pinpoint.

Mouthfeel - Has the mouthfeel of a barleywine. Syrupy with all the sweetness. Much like a Bigfoot's mouthfeel. Very heavy bodied for an IPA.

Overall - I've had two bottles. The first I was not happy with. The second one I am much happier with. There's definitely an off-flavor in there. The second time around I didn't detect it as much. I have a couple bottles left that I'll definitely drink, but I won't by as much next year until I try it first.

04-07-2011 00:16:16 | More by Alieniloquium
dcloeren

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Batch No.l3 bottled March 2011

A: A beautiful, crisp, deep amber(alot darker than I expected) with 2 fingers of fluffy ivory head that dissipated fairly slowly leaving a somewhat thin cover for the remainder of the beer. Decent lacing

S: I'm catching alot of tropical fruit with a strong floral hop presence, getting some pine and a VERY sweet malt background. Almost like there was caramel dripped over the tropical fruit. Very sensual... I want to take this beer behind the Jr. High and get it pregnant!

T: Follows the nose but with more emphasis on the tropical fruit, heavy floral perfume, hops show up towards the end of the sip with a welcomed drying pine aftertaste. It's very complex, but the sweetness of this beer is shining through more so than the hops for sure.

M: Medium to full. Syrupy, boozy for sure, with slight carbonation. Coats the mouth with ease.

O: I'm impressed. This is a great, very complex, IIPA. It is probably the sweetest IIPA that I have ever had but I think that the balance that the hops bring at the backend make this a great beer. Get it fresh! I plan on opening another on my birthday this week for sure

04-06-2011 01:23:43 | More by dcloeren
beerwolf77

Wisconsin

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

Thanks goes to BeerFMAndy for sharing this hoppy nectar. Bomber split into to tulips.

A: Amber golden orange. Huge three fingers of off white head. Sticky chunks of lace left behind. This looks like a DIPA should.

S: Super pungent hop profile. Rich citrus fruit, pineapple, mango, grapefruit, dank weed and a touch of pine for good measure.

T: Full frontal hop assault. Citrus fruit and pine sap resin coat my mouth. Sharp and bitter. Hardly a hint of malt presence.

M: Medium to full creamy body. Mild carbonation.

O: A hop bomb that truly satisfies. Maybe not in the realm of the biggest hitters but deserving of top 100 status.

04-06-2011 00:54:12 | More by beerwolf77
Gushue3

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The date on the bottle is March 2011 today is April 4th, pretty fresh.

A- pours clear dark copper/amber that leads to a generous head that has great retention and lacing

S- Very sweet off the bat. loads of citrus with some pine and flowers. hops are spicy. this smells awesome

T- citrus. the sweetness and bitterness remind me of biting into a grapefruit. pine notes in there too along with light malt to smooth it out. pretty nicely balanced but almost too sweet for me. Alcohol is extremely well hidden as well

M- quite smooth and warm. smaller carbonation bubbles.

O- this is the real deal. taste is fantastic, drinks awesome.

04-04-2011 23:28:26 | More by Gushue3
CMB2012

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

22oz bottle, batch number 13 (March, 2011). This is definitely a fresh bottle, with I believe a new label, O.G. 1.090, 102 IBUs, and 10.54% ABV this year not 10.30%.

A- Pours a clean gold/copper color with thin white head. Head dissipates quick and leaves a nice white, bubbly ring that laces fairly well.

S- DIPA goodness... sweet and juicy orange, grapefruit, cantaloupe, papaya. Rounds out with some pine, caramel and toffee, and slight alcohol pepperiness, spoiled vegetables.

T- Cantaloupe and papaya, sweet tropical fruits, some grapefruit... peppermint... pepper... The taste is sweet, reminiscent of a liquid cupcake, but not in a bad way and without the frosting (the mouthfeel helps here a lot). Malt is present in large forces to balance out the hops - chewy, sticky toffee, a bit roasty, and slight coffee bitterness. finishes bitter in a tasteful way, leaving you wanting more. Almost no alcohol, but there is a little burn on the end.

M- Creamy as can be for a DIPA, and I love it. Smooth, tiny bubbles, bursting carbonation. The body is medium to medium-full. Mouthfeel completes this beer giving it a chewy, cake-like quality that is tough to match - at least not very common. Dry finish without being overly astringent.

O- This was my first duel with the Maharaja and it was a great experience. The bottle fresh, the environment right on, and the beer ready to fight, I enjoyed it all very much. I especially congratulate Avery here for not forgetting the importance of malt complexity in a big hoppy beer. Try it.

04-04-2011 02:56:26 | More by CMB2012
NefariousR

Poured from a 22oz. glass bottle into a pint glass.

A - Deep orangey amber with a yellow-white foamy head, about one finger.

S - Grapefruit and piney citrus, with a strong sweet backbone. Very fruity.

T - Sweet, warming, and somewhat boozy. Hops and citric fruits with a strong malt body.

M - Thick and syrupy. Quite sticky as well.

O - A very good IPA, though a little different. The strong malt body reminds me a bit of an American Barleywine. Still, very good.

04-04-2011 01:59:23 | More by NefariousR
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

re-review on fresh batch. ~1 month old 22oz bottle into snifter.

A- Darker than expected, amber with orange highlights. 3cm ivory head, sticky lacing that's pretty thick. Good retention.

S- Heavy tropical fruit, pine sap, little dank stank as well.

T- Heavy floral perfumey and fruity hops. Very sweet. Flirting with being too sweet, the excellent hop flavors pull through. Solid caramel malt... orange sugar candies.

M- Boozy, but not abrasive. Carbonation is on the low side. Oozing hop oils... tasty.

O- Much more enjoyable this time around- I must have reviewed an older bottle last time. Not my favorite, but def. one to enjoy fresh. Will pick up another this week while I can. I am impressed, Avery wow'd me with this one.

04-03-2011 23:12:37 | More by ShogoKawada
stercomm

Poured from a bomber

A - Dark amber/copper in color, got a 2 finger tan head, receded quickly leaving slight lacing on the glass.

S - Very powerful, getting carmel malt and fresh rope/hemp, as well as hops.

T - Carmel sweetness on the front end gives way to lots of hops and some florals, ends with an earthiness and more hop undertones.

M -Mdeium bodied and very mild carbonation.

D - I'm not a huge hop head so like the balance of malty sweetness and the strong hops profile. A nice drink.

04-03-2011 21:47:15 | More by stercomm
JayAre46

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

A - 22 oz bomber batch 13 poured into a snifter (like the new label compared to last years) dictator series, 2 fingers of off white head, good retention, dark transparent amber color not much carbonation going on.

S- OH SHIT GD MOFO...in your face before you even have a chance to pour it, sweet caramel malts in and out, blast of tangy citrus hops, very pungent. floral esters as well some alcohol scents in the back, not getting as much pine which i was expecting.

T- sweet sweet malts up front, middle to back come the rush of hops, grapefruit here less citrus than in the nose, hint of pine in the back, definitely feel the heat, not as dry as i was expecting....CITRUS HOPS, HEAT, SWEET

M - more than medium not quite full, hops remain on the palate, minimal carbonation

O - there are not a lot of brews that give off such an amazing smell but the taste was just a bit too sweet for me. I would like to see maybe less balance from this one...hop lovers this is a must.

with all the hype I can definitely say this beer isn't quite "divine" and yes pliny still has my heart....

04-03-2011 19:32:13 | More by JayAre46
AnPiobaire

Not being a hop head its hit or miss with the IPA's. I originally tasted this at a local beer bar on tap and was overwhelmed with how much I enjoyed it. So I got a bottle and sat down this evening to enjoy it once again .

My initial pour was a rich cloudy dark orange ale with a creamy head with nice lacing.

The initial nose was a very well balanced combination of sweetness and citrusy bitterness.

This ale starts off with a nice mild sweetness that quickly is taken over by the hops that is evident but does not go overboard. It finishes with a bitter crispness that isn't overwhelming. The alcohol begins to show itself as the brew warmed up, but stayed very nice and smooth. Very drinkable.

The mouthfeel was creamy with moderate carbonation.

A very delicious Imperial IPA that I would certainly recommend to friends and foes alike, cause every one deserves good beer. Did I mention this was a very drinkable brew. Enjoy!!

04-03-2011 02:00:52 | More by AnPiobaire
FanofHefe

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

Batch 13, March 2011. Poured into a Duvel tulip. Clear body that is between amber and copper in color. Two finger light tan head that dissipates promptly leaving a small amount of lacing on the glass.

Excellent aroma - it just jumps right out at you. Rich hop aromas including pine, citrus, mango, and floral. There is also some sweetness there but hard to distinguish if it's from the citrus or the malt.

The flavors are as deep and rich as the aromas. The hop flavors feature grassy pine, grapefruit, and orange. The sweet balance attributable to the malt works well.

The mouthfeel is medium and smooth. There is a little notice of the alcohol that detracts just a little. But, overall this is an excellent DIPA.

04-03-2011 01:53:17 | More by FanofHefe
MILECO

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

Batch #13, March 2011 bottle. Poured into a 9 oz. bulbous whisky glass.

A: Nice, dark orange color, with a few, thin bubble trail leading to a respectable, foamy head. After settling, a slight layer of head remains. Amazing legs on the edge of the glass throughout the drink, sticking in more than complete curtains of lace on the sides of the glass.

S: Immediate citrus and pine hit the nose, and almost a field of flowers hang over the glass. This sets up an expectation of intense flavor to follow. A sweet fragrance lingers after taking in a full waft...

T: ...And then the booze hits. Hmm. I re-read the label, and take special note of the malted barley. It's not that it's bad, just an unexpected first impression after smelling so much citrus. I understand now why this brew is unique in the community. An intensity that screams "HIGH IBU" follows, lingering well after the swallow, tingling for awhile on the tongue. This is fresh, and exactly how the brewer intended when he capped it. The alcohol isn't quite whiskey, but more ETOH, an almost unfortunate downfall. Mucho hops saves this from being too boozy to enjoy.

M: There is a thickness that stays in the mouth throughout, boldly staying with you, almost daring you to imagine pine tar coating George Brett's bat. A layer of film stays after the swallow, forcing you to swish you tongue about as a finisher. I can't think of a better example of umami in a non-stout/porter beer. I'm glad I chose the smaller glass to encourage consuming this in sipping fashion.

Overall: As I finish the last few ounces, I'm taken both by the uniqueness and sheer amount of ingredients used. This is an intense experience, and presents itself like a grand entrance to a great champion. I cannot recommend any food pairings with this, as it just KILLS with overwhelming, sudden force. The high booze taste almost begs to be aged, but therein lies the flaw: High-hopped beverages are best enjoyed fresh. These two competing priorities keep Maharaja from being the Great Gama it seeks to be. It's still a great drink, and definitely worthy of being entered into comparisons with PtY and Bad Boy. But, it lacks the subtle drinkability that accompanies such others in the hop-head category and price range of Nelson and Hop Juice. This imperial reagent needs a little refining before taking the top crown.

04-03-2011 01:03:20 | More by MILECO
tikibeer

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Cool label....the guy on the bottle is all business.

Pours a pale amber with a nice one finger head. Spotty lacing with the head dissolving into a swirl of foam floating on top.

Aroma is killer! It is a hop bomb. Love it. Lot of pine hops

Taste is awesome. Nice balance of pine hops and a citrus and fruity hop.

Great Beer!

04-02-2011 15:40:27 | More by tikibeer
airheadmtrcycle

Georgia

3.35/5  rDev -20.8%

I'll be honest; I've been anxious about getting my hands on a Maharaja for some time. Everything I've read and all my friends who know what I like suggest this will be a DIPA that I will like.

Poured from a bomber into a Duvel tulip yields a deep copper ale with a large off-white, almost tan head. The head recedes and leaves a little lacing. Soon all trace of head and lacing are gone.

The aroma is strong of resin, some citrus and biscuit/bread dough which only heightens my anticipation and causes my palate to salivate. To my immediate disappointment my first sip has a spicy, obtrusive alcohol presence that is a turn-off. The hops are quite pine-y and spruce-y and less citrus-y and sweet than I had hoped for. Do Simcoe hops work well with all the "C" hops? The huge malt bill does make for a sweet ale, though, maybe a little too sweet for my preference. The bitterness is huge, and one I'm sure many hopheads will love, but I'm not as enamored as I hoped I would be. This Maharaja does rule with a heavy hand as Avery's website claims. The mouth feel is oily and somewhat flat, and has a little too much bite from the alcohol.

Overall, Maharaja doesn't hide its big alcohol well enough for me. Its hop profile is a little out of my flavor preference and it's too sweet.

04-02-2011 05:19:08 | More by airheadmtrcycle
socaltay

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

I was looking forward to this beer. Batch number 13, poured from a bomber. The aroma is of alcohol and some citrus hop sweetness. The appearance is golden with a strong red/orange hue. The head does not last long and leaves lots of lacing, indicating that it is probably a very viscous beer. The taste is malty with citrus notes followed immediately by some bitterness. This beer seems a bit sweet. Overall I am glad I was able to pick up a few

04-02-2011 04:37:56 | More by socaltay
ghetto90007

3.78/5  rDev -10.6%

This one was really interesting.

Color was a bold copper. Great lacing all the way down the glass. Nice head on pour that had great resilience.

Smelled citrusy, but also a very strong sweet malt aroma - surprising for a DIPA.

Incredibly rich. Anise, caramel, along with the expected smooth hoppiness of a DIPA.

Moutfeel - full-bodied, creamy, and heavy.

This was a really rich imperial IPA with a high ABV. If there is a such thing as a winter IPA, this would be it.

04-02-2011 03:58:00 | More by ghetto90007
Rjhami

3.88/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured a bomber into snifter. Batch No. 13, Mar 2011. 10.54% ABV.

Beautiful color, light amber orange-ish. A little head subsides quickly leaving lacing that spots a little.

Citrus hoppiness quickly turns to heavy malt action, still quite smooth throughout. It is sweet like candy. A lot of fruitiness also present.

Citrus, grapefruit, lots of different types of fruit going on. Turns a little biscuit-y with a dry finish. At 102 ibu the bitterness is matched nicely with the malty tones.

Nicely carbonated and much lighter than anticipated. The warmth of the alcohol is barely noticeable.

I thought this one might be too sweet for the style but I did not find that to be the case. The fruit really shines through and is balanced very well with the malt finish. Hard to believe the abv is so high but i did start to feel it. I really enjoyed this one and if it were priced a little lower, I would consider it a go-to type
DIPA.

04-02-2011 02:03:41 | More by Rjhami
Sensaray

3.9/5  rDev -7.8%

Batch 13 22oz bottle
Oranger Amber tone

Nice fresh hoppy smell to it. Slight melon fruity, malt scents. Some citrus character.

Hot bitter hops throughout the taste. Apples towards the back end. Apples and tangy citrus. The alcohol and hops compliment each other well. Nice balance. Alcohol becomes more prominent as I drink as well. It eventually gets to a consitent slight hops to sweet citrus, nutty malt to hoppy alcohol intense finish. I keep getting a hint of lemon zest but its almost at random.

Medium mouthfeel. Smooth Carbonation.

Overall, pretty good. Definitely worth a try. I love DIPAs and I thought this was good. I wouldn't pay $10.99 for this again, but I'm happy I tried it. Too much alcohol after awhile, and I typically wouldn't say that.

04-02-2011 01:14:44 | More by Sensaray
NWer

Washington

4.89/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Batch 13
March 2011

Wow! Where do I start?

Poured into my chalice deep bronze color nice light bronze head retains well minimal lace.
Aroma outstanding. Can't quite pick out individual flavors but moving on to taste, intense hop and malt flavors at the same time. The greatest beer sometimes is the last beer I had and that might be the case this time but suffice it to say that you want to drink one of these before you die.

Update April 2013
On tap at local watering hole recently blew me away. It had been a while - too many beers and all that. Checked back on my review and reassured by my original 5 on taste. Upticked appearance and mouthfeel. Deservedly so.
Release 17 2013
Not quite as overwhelming that I had on tap but still stellar. This beer should be much higher on the pecking order of top 250 in my opinion.

03-31-2011 23:59:34 | More by NWer
Citadel82

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

Wow! This brew is inspirational and awesome, balanced and tasty. The fact that it has such a high ABV is almost disappointing. To badly misquote Robert E. Lee "it is well that this beer is so terribly strong otherwise we should grow to love it too well..."

Pours a rich copper color with a rocky and clingy white head that retreats with the same tenacity as George Thomas "The Rock of Chickamauggua".
The aroma of this heady brew is sweet malt peppery and spicy hops with healthy dose of bread and not the least bit of shoddy... and somewhere in ther I foud sweet cantaloupe...

The taste is sublime and balanced between sweet malt and tangt pine and citrus hops. Notes of melon and a nasal burn of drying alcohol.

Mouthfeel is light carbonation and slick smooth malt. Neither excessively thick nor watery with average carbonation.

Overall, this one of the best beers I have tasted. Tomorrow I will walk down to Whole Foods and grab a few bombers to check for my flight home. I normally carry on but this is well worth the otherwise inconvenient checiking of a bag and picking up at the far end.

Sad, but true...

03-31-2011 05:12:55 | More by Citadel82
notyourdadsbeer

Colorado

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

On-tap poured into a tulip at Euclid Hall.

A: Bright orange to copper with amber hues, great lacing and a thick of white head.

S: Big massive piney hops, resinous almost and very chronic like. Touch of tropical fruit sweetness and stick thick malt.

T: Surprisingly very well balanced! While the hops are present and seductive with intense bitter quality, the malts thicken up this brew with perfect balance making this a sipper. Tropical fruits- pineapple and mango are present but only sweeten out the hops.

M: Full bodied with a an even coat across the palate. Great carbonation and a finish that's to die for.

D: Fantastic beer! This is a staple for hop heads and IPA's across the board. The alcohol is very well masked and the hops are seductive and balanced with a solid malt backbone. Great beer for winter or summer.

03-30-2011 20:08:05 | More by notyourdadsbeer
AleWatcher

3.6/5  rDev -14.9%

I had the last batch of this beer, but I didn't review it... Couldn't pass it up this time around.
Served in a snifter.

A fairly dark color for a "west coast" DIPA. A burnt orange color with slight auburn hues. A ram head of two fingers is sticky, but settles pretty quickly, leaving only a frothy film and some chunky continents of lace that spread out and stretch like a micro-version of a plate tectonics demonstration.

The nose has huge malt notes-- caramel sweetness and toasty bread and crackers with big old hops following close behind. The hops are giant citrus-- orange, pineapple, and grapefruit mostly. The flavor follows all the notes the nose hinted at, but adds a resiny note towards the finish-- a bitterness is light and fresh with slight pine notes.

The beers only real downfall is the boozy heat that comes through at the finish... The alcohol really comes into play... And not in a good way. The flavor is great-- the alcohol is an issue.

The body is nearly full with strong carbonation. Some nice oily feel coats my teeth.

Overall, this would e a great beer if it weren't so strong in the booziness... It is a serious flaw in my opinion, and certainly hurts the overall score. This could easily be a top 10 DIPA with a little modification.

03-30-2011 03:05:34 | More by AleWatcher