Maharaja - Avery Brewing Company

MaharajaMaharaja

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Maharaja is derived from the sanskrit words mahat, meaning “great”, and rajan, meaning “king”. Much like its namesake, this imperial IPA is regal, intense and mighty. With hops and malts as his servants, he rules both with a heavy hand. The Maharaja flaunts his authority over a deranged amount of hops: tangy, vibrant and pungent along with an insane amount of malted barley – fashioning a dark amber hue and exquisite malt essence. Welcome to his kingdom!

The Maharaja is the second installment in our Dictator Series.

102 IBUs

ABV varies slightly batch to batch.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-03-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maharaja Alström Bros
3.35/5  rDev -20.8%

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for this beer

Review adapted from notes taken 6/24/11

Appearance: An orange-amber color, hazy, fluffy beige head - sticky lacing, nice retention

Smell: Very hoppy and very malty - oily hops, grapefruit, citrus, pine - some herbal characteristics - sweet, caramel and amber toasted malts, and straight-up sugar

Taste: Boozy, boozy, boozy - yes, it it bitter and hoppy, but the taste is dominated by the sweetness and booze - maybe it's just this batch - some orange and grapefruit rind, some herbal flavors - the malts taste more like a malt extract syrup than something like a biscuit - regardless, not a trainwreck, just a very strange balance

Mouthfeel: Heaver than average, almost syrupy, sticky - just tastes wrong - this beer needs to dry out

Overall: A malty, hoppy, booze bomb

I guess this beer really varies batch to batch. I wasn't really impressed by it. Maharaja certainly isn't a bad DIPA, but it's kind of the opposite of what I look for in the style. It's too malty to be balanced, too much booze, not crisp.

angrybabboon, Oct 02, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -13.7%

Look: Pours a reddish orange with a 1/4 inch tan head and ok retention no real lace

Smell: Caramel malt with some citrus hops and Im also picking up notes of candy apples

Taste: Follows the nose. Upfront are notes of candy apples with an abundance of malt. There are almost no hops present as the beer warms you do pick up a hint of citrus and some alcohol burn on the back end

Mouthfeel: Medium body with mild carbonation and a bit sticky

Overall: Not a bad beer but not really all that impressed with this one

DarthKostrizer, Oct 02, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -26%

Split a 22oz bomber. This one was highly recommended by local spirits store. Certainly a high quality craft brew, but this one was too big of a beer for me. Lots of complex tastes and subtle punch but just not something I could drink/enjoy beyond a taster. If big imperial IPA's are your favored, you probably will enjoy this one as reviews are very high. Back to regular IPAs for me.

TheBigBoy, Sep 29, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Avery Maharaja is a top quality double IPA.

A: Orange with 10 mm head that lasts extremely well. 5

S: Hoppy with a nice malty base. There are some citrus notes. Very nice. 4.5

T: Malty with a nice, sweet citrus tang. The aftertaste is bitter with some citrus. 4.5

M: Foamy and silky. 4.5

O: Delicious. 4.5

vandemonian, Sep 27, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

May 2010 vintage bomber bottle poured into a Westmalle goblet.

Appearance - Deep golden to caramel-hued with an medium, off-white head. Slightly hazy, suggestive of a highly malty character.

Smell - Having high expectations of a typical citrusy hop aroma, I was surprised by the mellow, almost pungent, farmy smell melded with a malty sweetness. Perhaps the year-and-a-half cellaring of this bottle has dampened the upfront aroma? Still a pleasant and complex aroma nonetheless.

Taste - Like the aroma would suggest, no mouth-puckering hop bitterness up front...a slight sweetness, that morphs into some of the deeper and more complex flavors. This is where the bitterness is found, well-balanced with the malt and other flavors reminiscent of caramel, plum, almond, and toffee. Every sip a little different, especially as it begins to warm...riding a fine line between a DIPA and a barleywine.

Mouthfeel - This is a full-bodied brew with an extremely pleasant mouthfeel. The mouthfeel (in step with the taste) has the warmth and silkiness reminiscent of a barleywine. Would fit the bill as ideal after-dinner apertif, similar to a brandy or cognac.

Overall - Maybe not the typical DIPA that screams in your face with all american "C" hops, this is a complex and unique beer I'm glad to have tried. The extensive cellared/shelved age of this bottle likely softened much of the upfront hop aromas and bitterness (as judged by other reviewers comments). However, as a fan of barleywines as well, I really enjoy how this beer seemingly weaves in and out of the DIPA/barleywine boundaries.

Uhlikm, Sep 27, 2011

My local shop owner kept telling me to try it so I did. It poured very smooth and as I poured it It smelled like a grapefruit but not overpowering in the smell. The beer settled into a very rich and deep amber color with a small off white foam head that didn't stick around more than a minute. The beer taste like a tangerine infused with a bitter grapefruit and left my mouth feeling moist and refreshed. I enjoyed it and allowed it to get warm and it was still a delicious beer.

MandatoryJimmy, Sep 26, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

This is, unbelievably, my first Avery product. I saw these in the fridge the other day at Whole Foods, but I couldn't get any because I was over the ounce limit with all the Labyrinth I bought. So today, I was determined to try this.

Pours a translucent, cloudy orangish-gold, with a half finger's crown at the top. The nose on this is stellar. Right up my alley. Heavy citrus...flat out grapefruit dominated. Some caramel and malty notes blend in. The taste is a winner too. All the aromas come out to play on the palate. This beer tastes like it smells. The caramel and malt notes are more pronounced, especially upon the finish. The mouthfeel lets you know they weren't fuckin' around with this. It's boozy. It doesn't necessarily taste 10.46 ABV, but you know it's packin'. For being an 102 IBU beer, I don't get the bitterness or hoppiness I'd expect from the number. Overall this is a tasty beverage. I'll seek this out again.

Retail1LO, Sep 22, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

We have a deep orange to amber color body with a 3-finger light sand colored head. The head retention on this one is awesome. It hung around darn near forever and left a ton of lacing.

Nose is of grapefruit, tangerine, and orange coupled with big biscuity malt sweetness.

Taste was nice. A very complex brew, although a little maltier than I generally prefer my IPAs. Its sweet, but bitter on the back end. There are citrusy and piney hops that are racing to your tongue against a big biscuity caramel malt backbone. The malt keeps this one very drinkable, but dulls down the 100+ IBU assault on the tongue considerably. For a 10.5% ABV beer, there is a remarkable absence of alcohol in the taste. Dangerously drinkable out of a 22 oz bomber.

Mouthfeel is rich. Its creamy, smooth, and almost chewy. Its a thick beer, like a strong imperial IPA often is, but its not an overly resinous syrup bomb like I feared it could be.

Overall, it didnt quite make my top 5, but it was a very good beer and I definitely could drink it again. Very complex, drinkable, well-crafted brew. The malt presence could be dialed down some, but it still gets a thumbs up from me.

BeerFiend2002, Sep 21, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter,served at fridge temp.

A. A clear kind of burnt orange body, 1 finger offwhite head. Sticky lacing.

S. Good piney hops, get a a nice bit of tropical fruit. Big kind of sappy hop juice.

T. Very balenced between hops and malts. Nice grapefruit and mango notes also some caramal.

M. Wow! The highlight of this brew,very creamy and smooth. Carbonation is perfect. Slighty dry.

Overall Badass IIPA! Very well brewed I gonna say In my top five for the catagory. I need more.

Marty30, Sep 18, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

Batch 14 poured from a bomber into my Great Divide goblet

A: orange with fluffy off white head. Moderate retention but nice rIngs of lacing are left behind

S: bitter maltiness. Pine and resin and brown sugar treacle meld together

T: hops start of with a bang but the malts fade in. It's like brown sugar ganja

M: bitter spiciness lingers

O: a favorite of mIne since I had it a few years ago at Toronado SD

roodie, Sep 15, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

Batch 14 June 2011. Poured into a tulip.

Appearance. Deep amber in color with a copper tint. Pours with 3 fingers of thick creamy tan head. This barely dissipates leaving thick meringue like peaks where it does.

Smell. Lots of hop, of course, the most predominant of which are grassy and piney. There is definitely some nice sweetness to the nose as well. In the background there is a nice spice that is hard to define.

Taste. Starts with a sharp resinous bitterness that lingers for a bit. This slowly transitions into an intensely sweet and piney flavor which really just bombards the palate. There is a building presence of fruit during this burst that is reminiscent of both grapefruit and pineapple. Bitterness builds to a very high level, but is accompanied and balanced by a hard candy-like sweetness. This transitions nicely into a dry bitter finish with lingering grapefruit notes.

Mouthfeel. Fairly heavy in body for this type of beer with a moderate amount of carbonation.

One of the most complex dIPAs I've ever had. So many layers or waves of flavor that it takes a while to sift through. An intense and enjoyable drinking experience.

jtingue, Sep 15, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours a beautifully clear dark copper with a one and a half creamy head. The aroma is bizarre. It smells like mango cereal. The cereal graininess is very off-putting to me and I don't get much of a hop aroma at all. The taste is nothing like the smell. I get tons of mango and papaya. The graininess is nowhere in the taste. This ale is pretty sweet, but insanely bitter at the same time. In a weird way this beer is balanced. Overall a good experience. I don't know what's up with the aroma, but the taste is well worth it. DuganA is much better and drinkable IMHO. A nice DIPA and I may enjoy this better fresh.

hmf05, Sep 11, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured from a tap into a pint glass at KnB Wine Cellar’s in San Diego. Color was copper amber. Just a bit more than an inch of head. Decent amount of lacing and film.

Smells were citrus, pine hops, grapefruit, cleaning supplies, rubbing alcohol and lemon zest.

Strong initial taste of grapefruit, pine and citrus. Strong bitter aftertaste. Very similar to smell.

Medium body. Bitter taste dominated. Got sick of it pretty quick. Above average carbonation.

Not as good as I thought it would be. Was a bit surprised when I saw the good reviews on Beer Advocate after I had already reviewed it.

BucannonXC5, Sep 10, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Strong aroma is very hoppy, nearly evergreen, with a firm citrus underpinning that is mainly grapefruit with some sour orange. It pours a beautiful clear coppery brown with a thick and fluffy pale copper head. Scrumptious and highly pleasing hoppy flavor has tones of grapefruit, orange and caramel, with a hint of sweetness that perfectly balances the hoppy bitterness. Full-bodied texture is quite fizzy and lively, leaving a lip-smacking tingly, hoppy, slightly sweet finish. Strongly recommended to all IPA fanatics.

Cyberkedi, Sep 09, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Served in a 16 oz. snifter.

A- Dark copper with 2 finger off-white head and good lacing.

S- Tons of citrus, pineapple, orange, grapefruit and sweet malt.

T- Sweet caramel malts and again a ton of citrus (same as nose) and great balance at finish of resiny pine hops.

M- Medium bodied, abv is present but not overbearing.

O- Great DIPA! One of my favorites and one I should enjoy more over the summer. Can't wait for fresh batches next year.

kawilliams81, Sep 09, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured from a 220z bomber into a snifter.

I have had this before on tap, but it was a long time ago when I was not as educated as I am now about beer. So here we go....

Pours a dark orange, copper with an off white head that dissapeared quickly.

Wow, this is one big beer! It smells so much of malt is actually covers up the hops a bit. It's earthy, sweet, and hoppy. Not sure how old this bottle is, but it sure is malty.

Really earthy, grassy, sweet, syrupy, thick, and viscous!! Maybe a little too sweet for my liking here and not the tongue torcher I thought it would be for having 102 IBU. I detect a faint amount of alcohol, but really good condsidering the high abv.

Mouthfeel is sticky sweet with an overwhealming bread, malt flavor up front and finishes bitter.

Overall pretty good, but not my favorite. For $7.29-not bad at all.

JDizzle, Sep 08, 2011

Bottle dated June 2011

A: Pours a sinister looking copper orangish color, almost mahogany toward the center of the glass. Slightly off white head rises up and sticks around.

S: Soapy, almost caustic mix of detergent and booze. Big impression of bitterness. Definetly pulling some non descript sweetness out of the nose as well.

T: Salty crackers, sugar coated whatever. Very, very sweet and bready, lots of residual sugars. Hops are bitter and resinous, not
much else.

M: Mouthfeel is thick as hell, carbonation is on the lower side of medium.

O: Lots of off flavors, really missed the mark in my book. The taste is literally sweet and salty, hops bring little to the table. This beer is 3 months old not 3 years old....not buying that it would be much better if it were brewed last week.

zoolzoo, Sep 06, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -20.8%

Maharajah I was extremely excited to try this beer! Poured from a 22OZ Bomber into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Copper in color with a nice two inch tan head. Lacing in this beer is decent.

Aroma: Tropical fruit, mango peach, grapefruit as well as pine and resin.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with good carbonation.
Taste: Heavy malty caramel, tropical fruit again but not as present as in the nose. This beer is sticky and cloying.

Overall: This beer is suppose to be better than a Pliny the Elder. I had this side by side with a PTE and it is certainly not as good as a Pliny!! It is boozier and a lot more cloying but it’s nowhere as good! For anyone who disagrees he or she should try it this way. I’m just giving my honest opinion. Good beer though.

ChanChan, Sep 05, 2011
1.73/5  rDev -59.1%

Alas, I endeavored to infestingly enjoy this beer, but only succeeded in cooperating with it. Cooperating to the extent of making it disappear down my gullet while recalling the tastes and aromas I could pleasurably parse and attempting to mollify the tastes and aromas that nauseated me.

My initial thoughts on aroma were barnyard, sauteed mushroom, blue cheese, and flower - each of which I enjoy. However, I subsequently and inescapably entered an aromatic realm of cow anus, Limburger, and durian.

Luckily, the palate, perhaps by virtue of liquid, perhaps by temperature, the anus, Limburger and durian were held in abeyance, though maybe only slightly so before finishing dry, and painting my tongue with three coats of its threatening vomitousness.

Reading other reviews, perhaps I had a bad bottle. To me, this was not an enjoyable IIPA. It was bordering on nasty.

blackfish73, Sep 03, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

Well, the label is cool. We can get that out of the way right now.

Aroma has some good grapefruit hoppy notes on it, but also has gobs of candied malt and toffee. It comes across as a mix of citrus and sugary sweetness. We'll see how it tastes.

Dark golden in the glass, pretty clear. Head is somewhat thin but the retention is there.

One thing I notice right away is that this is certainly a thick beer, even for style. The hops smack the taste buds right away...plenty of good tropical hop goodness to be found. However, as soon as they hit, they are basically replaced with one of the sweetest malt profiles I've ever tasted in a DIPA. Sugary sweet toffee malts dominate throughout the body with a small spiciness present, only turning the show over to a decent, dry bitterness on the finish that lasts a bit after the swallow. The ABV is obviously extremely high as well, as it didn't take me long to feel it. Also, as it warms up, it definitely becomes quite hot in the finish.

Not a bad DIPA here. Perhaps not among my absolute favorites, but it's quite an asskicker and will fit the bill for anybody who wants a DIPA with a high hop kick and quite a sweet malt profile.

NODAK, Sep 02, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -12.5%

Served in a tulip glass.

Amber orange that is hazy, thick creamy head that dispersed slowly and never went away. Left loose lacing all the way down the glass.

It smelled funny it was not overpowering but it was like when you open a box that has styrofoam and that initial sweet funkiness hits you in the face. I did pick up some sweet maltiness and tropical fruits. I could not get over this. Had a hard time picking out some hops.

Taste was pineapple and mango in the front then turned sweet and malty in the middle then it finishes thin and slightly bitter.

Its been a couple of years since I had this beer. From what I remember it had a nice and hoppy nose to it but this one just smelled off. The place I had it at just got there power back and I am wondering if this had an affect on its smell. I am going to try and get a bottle of this to see if it still smells the same. Still can't get over the plastic smell.

Burt, Sep 01, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: rich, hazy orange hue with two fingers of frothy tan foam sitting atop. Pretty standard, but pretty good looking too.

Smell: nice funky hop flavor with a little bit of spiciness mixed into the works. Malt is slightly sweet and there are also some nice floral notes here.

Taste: big, complex flavor! There's a sweetness to the malt which compounds the fruitiness of the hop characteristics. Floral, citrus and even berries and tree fruit notes come through in this guy -- this is what I like in my imperial IPAs. Dynamic flavor changes throughout, and the bitterness is huge but also quite smooth. Good stuff!

Mouthfeel: medium-big body with a decent carbonation. Not creamy, really, but pretty smooth and complementary to the style.

Overall: this is a damn tasty beer. Why did I wait so long before trying it?

flagmantho, Sep 01, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Consumed 28 August. Reviewed from notes. The Dictator Series. Batch Number 14, June 2011. 102 IBUs, 10.46% ABV. Poured from 1 pint/6 fl oz bottle into a goblet.

Pours a burn orange/copper color--very hazy--with 3 fingers of fluffy, pillowy head that is very substantial. The head really sticks around and leaves ample lacing on the glass.

The aroma is heavenly. Imagine harvesting citrus and tropical fruit in a pine forest. Can't imagine that? Neither could I until I smelled this imperial IPA. Now the sent and image is burnt into my memory and I'm forever grateful. The smell defines the style. Deep resin smells. Citrus grapefruit rind. Sweet malt smells pour through--surprising sweetness in the nose like a lemon meringue pie. Oh, and the sweet and bitter, pungent hop aroma.

Taste. Phenomenal balance and complexity. Beautiful bitter grapefruit, pineapple, citrus finish that lingers, puckers the mouth and smacks the lips. Upfront is an amalgam of sweet caramel malt fairies fighting for control against the bitter hop gnomes of the pine forest. And that's just on the surface. I can only dream about how this double would have been consumed a couple months earlier (that's why I'm leaving just a little room in the ratings). There is an earthy and sweet malt character with some tobacco leaves for some balance. Alcohol heat lingers at the end. Also some orange peel in there. The 103 IBUs don't punch quite as hard as you might expect--because of the massive malt presence.

Mouthfeel is tremendous. Oily, slick, bitter, pungent, resinous, thick.

Overall--what more can be said?

JohnnyP3, Aug 31, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

A - Orange, bordering on red. Much more red than you average DIPA. Moderate lacing with light retention and solid lacing.

S - Pineapple and sweet hops dominate the nose. A bit of caramel and roasted malt linger in the background.

T - Explosive hops up front. Mango, pineapple, and pine. Much more malt than your normal DIPA. Finishes strong with coffee, leather, and caramel malts.

M - Pretty average, a little under-carbonated for my tastes. Not bad, though.

Overall - Good bang-for-your-buck DIPA when you can find it. Definitely give it a shot if you have the chance, but I doubt it will become your go-to daily drinker.

ESPNman, Aug 31, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

22oz bottle poured into a tulip glass. Batch no.14, June 2011.

A - Dark burnt orange color. Clear. Tan head with excellent lacing.

S - Pine, pineapple, citrus, mango, a slight hint of dark caramel. Wow!

T - Pineapple and mango upfront with a dark, rich toffee to back it up. Ends nice and dry with just a touch of bitterness and sweetness.

M - Medium carbonation. Medium to heavy mouthfeel. Heaviness coming from the rich toffee flavor, but the hop bitterness lightens it up.

D - Medium. ABV is well hidden, but the richness of the malts makes you want to take your time with this one.

This one might have been passed its prime ( about 2 months old), but still is extremely tasty! This is one of my favorite DIPAs.

jeff1973, Aug 31, 2011