Maharaja - Avery Brewing Company

MaharajaMaharaja

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Maharaja is derived from the sanskrit words mahat, meaning “great”, and rajan, meaning “king”. Much like its namesake, this imperial IPA is regal, intense and mighty. With hops and malts as his servants, he rules both with a heavy hand. The Maharaja flaunts his authority over a deranged amount of hops: tangy, vibrant and pungent along with an insane amount of malted barley – fashioning a dark amber hue and exquisite malt essence. Welcome to his kingdom!

The Maharaja is the second installment in our Dictator Series.

102 IBUs

ABV varies slightly batch to batch.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-03-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maharaja Alström Bros
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a- aggressive pour in a pint glass out of a bomber. poured a nice clean dark gold color. Its much more translucent than I expected. Beautiful slightly off-white head rises up about a half inch, but fades in less than 30 seconds or so. Leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

s-a little malty for the typical IIPA I have had lately, which in my opinion is very nice. Some nice grapefruity, pine resin smells as well. Looking forward to tasting it because it smells great.

t-Yum. since I personally like the more malty IIPA vs the Hop-bomb, this one is very pleasant. Actually seems to start a bit malty on my tongue, then the hops kicks the back of your mouth. The grapefruit is there again with a bit of pine needle. A little caramel in there too. Quite a bit of sweetness actually, which was not expected, but very much welcomed.

m-I like the mouthfeel on this. Really coats my mouth and has some body too it. The early onslaught of malty caramel coats initially and then the pleasant bitter of the hops seems to cleanse. Not too boozy feeling, despite the 10.54 abv. Very drinkable really.

overall, I think this is a very nice drinkable beer, which surprises me a tad because the bomber keeps telling me is 10.54 abv. Again, I am of the opinion that a IIPA/DIPA should be balanced with some malty backbone, not just a hop-bomb, so this beer suits me very nicely. Purchased for $8.50, so the price is right IMO. I havent tasted much else from Avery (hard to find in Wisconsin) but after tasting this, I would love to see what else this brewery can come up with.

crewfan16, May 21, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +13%

Poured from 22 oz. bottle into Duvel tulip glass. Batch 13 bottled in March 2011.

Appearance: Bright amber orange with a decent bubbly white head with decent retention. Lots of lacing around the glass.

Smell: Strong burst of grapefruit and citrus hops with oranges, pineapple, and a good amount of caramel malts mixed in. Very tangy and hoppy.

Taste: A strong burst of grapefruit, orange, pineapple, and other citrus fruits up front are followed by some caramel malts. Hop bitterness comes in the finish but is fairly light considering how hoppy the beer is.

Mouthfeel: Medium to high body with a medium carbonation. Very smooth and the alcohol is hidden well.

Overall: One of the better DIPA I've had. The tangy sweetness is almost too much but the malts balance things well. Very easy drinking.

MattyG85, May 20, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

Batch 13, the bottle says.

Appearance: On the light side of amber. Liveley bubbles, thin head, just off-white and long lasting. Generous lacing.

Smell: Some grass and grapefruit hops, some earthier and spicier smells as well. Rather complex in a pleasing way.

Taste: Earthy, citrusy hops and tangy bitterness. A hint of sweet malt and no alcohol burn.

Mouthfeel: Not quite dry.

I'm no hophead, but I like to think I can recognize when hops are well done and I think I've found that here.

SassyBootblack, May 19, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -11.8%

From notes. On-tap at Kelleher's on May 13th, 2011.

Pours a dark amber with a reddish-hue and a soft, white head. Smells strongly of west-coast profiled hops with grapefruit and lots of other citrus. Probably the heaviest grapefruit quality I've yet to come across in a DIPA. The drink exudes more caramel malt than I was expecting, similar to Dreadnaught. Less forward in the hops. It's decently-balanced but maybe lacks the bitter punishment one tends to expect out of the style. Honey sweetness underneath. Medium-length finish. Not quite enough carbonation but is smooth. Slight ABV heat on the backend.

Not as good as I was hoping but not bad by any means.

Auracom, May 18, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A- Orange gold with a tall off-white head that dissipates to a film, leaving patchy lacing in its wake.

N- Bitter grapefruit rind assaults the nostrils while delicate perfume and tropical fruit rise from below. Caramel and grain are also noticeable under all the hoppy goodness. Some peppery alcohol in there as well.

T- Peppery alcohol plays a huge part of the flavor on the front end. Grapefruit rind, pine resin, and dry herbal tea leaves all compliment the spiciness as sweet toasty grain rides underneath, preventing the hops from tipping the scale completely. Grapefruit, pine, and tea leaves outlast the sweetness, providing a firm bitterness that lasts until the finish. The alcohol also dies down toward the end, leaving fumes that blend well with the lingering bitterness. Dry toasted grain and tea leaves in the aftertaste.

M- Medium-bodied, syrupy and sticky yet slick, moderate carbonation, and a dry bitter finish.

D- Overall, an aggressive IIPA that lives up to its name. Very tasty, but a bomber is too much for one person IMO. If you don't have someone to share with, 22oz will last several hours unless you're in a celebratory mood.

KevinBrewer, May 17, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a delirium tremens snifter.

A: Clear, orange-copper color; very small head, no retention; medium lacing

S: Earthy, slightly hoppy-citrusy smell with hints of malts. Overall the smell is subtle; its not overpowering or super hoppy, just faint

T: WOW. Rich and creamy at first with a delicious malty sweetness, then transitions into a slightly spicy-hoppy bitterness with a little malt back there for balance. There's nothing that sticks out too much or explodes on the tastebuds, but its just so amazingly well balanced and richly sweet.... the best Imperial IPA I've ever had.

M: Very thick and creamy; full-bodied and ridiculously smooth; absolutely no hint of the 10.5% abv that this thing carries. It's like drinking liquid silk.

O: One of the best Imperial IPAs I've ever had. Period. It's not a super tropical-y, fruity DIPA (which I adore), rather it's more of a smooth and subdued creamy brew. Don't pass this one by

Jules11788, May 17, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

This was my departing beer from Denver. Had on tap at Falling Rock.

Pours a crystal golden copper color. Little bit of head, decent lacing throughout the session.

Truckload of hops on the nose. Floral, citrus, exotic fruits.

Even more hoppy awesomeness on the palate of this beer. Mimics the smell, but the floral and fruity hops really take precedence. But don't let that fool you. Incredible malt backbone balances quite well with the hops. Sweet, biscuity tons of malts, tons of hops. It just WORKS. There's no hiding the ABV in this beer either. Not a bad thing, but just be expecting it.

Overall this is a fantastic double IPA. I drink so many Cali hop bombs that it's really nice to drink a double IPA that also showcases its malt profile. Definitely seek this beer out.

AWolfAtTheDoor, May 16, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer I poured was bottled Mar 2011 and was noted as batch no 13.

Poured into a pint glass. The color is a dark amber, really quite stunning with a lot of carbonation. I got a two finger, off white, and rocky head. This is a beautiful beer.

Smells sweet, like pineapple. I picked this aroma up as soon as the beer hit the glass.

I first taste the malty sweetness, then some orange citrus. Finishes with a little hoppy bitterness. At 10.54% I can also taste the alcohol on this one. This is a very tasty yet very strong bold beer.

Medium bodied, fairly boozy yet in a pleasant complimentary way. This leaves a malty sweet after taste but it's not over powering and quite enjoyable.

As soon as I poured this I got hit with the sweet smell of pineapple and was also very pleased with how this beer looked. I will buy more of this, just so long as I can find it.

JCaweinstein, May 16, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into what is essentially a GLBC short-stemmed wine glass, perhaps a large snifter.

A - A deep, rich golden-amber color, very clear and crisp looking. Active carbonation swarms about the glass. Healthy layer of head, about a fingertip deep, settles after the pour, retaining through the drink. Wonderful lacing left behind all over the glass. She's a beaut.

S - Highly hopped, with floral and mostly fruity scents emanating bountifully from the nose. Despite the high ABV, the beer gives off only slight hints of booziness. Delectable.

T - Very fruity. Grapefruit and other citrus tones, perhaps almost a fruit punch, dominate the taste. Great balance of malts and hops - alternately sweet and bitter. Aftertaste is mildly bitter with lingering hints of citrus hops and some sweetness. This is a tasty, tasty beer, yet not completely overpowering as DIPAs tend to be.

M - Like with the nose and the taste, this imperial IPA does not destroy your tongue. It is medium bodied and goes down very well for a beer of this high ABV and style.

O - I'm enjoying this about as much as I did when I had it on draft in Boston. Avery Brewing Co. has simply created a standard-setting brew with the Maharaja Imperial IPA.

mwill7287, May 16, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured a deep, clear orange-amber into a tulip with a finger of bright, fluffy white head. Juicy aroma of grapefruit with lots of caramel malt.

Moderate carbonation and mouthfeel that manages to be both resinous, creamy, and full without becoming too syrupy. Mild grapefruit and tangerine up front with a strong caramel/honey sweetness and some distinct boozy warmth. Fairly astringent pine on the finish with a slightly odd earthy, vegetal quality.

Really nice double IPA, but not the most drinkable; the sharp booziness and sweetness slowed me down somewhat.

grittybrews, May 15, 2011
1.93/5  rDev -54.4%

March 2011 date

A-Pours a nice dark orange amber color with a OK head and lacing.

S-Strong citrusy hop smell, but also a solid malt smell. Kind of a strange smell for a DIPA. Little bit of booze coming through.

T-This is where everything went wrong. On first sip this thing burnt my throat. Strong alcohol taste, then malts with a bitter hop finish.

M-Very thick and very sweet. Very surprised by this.

O-I was really looking forward to this beer, because I love any type of IPA, but this thing seemed more like a high abv barleywine. I drank half the bomber and had to drain pour the rest. After looking at other BA's reviews it seems like I had a different beer.

mater, May 14, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I picked up this bottle in the Philly area about a month ago. It's been in the fridge since. Shared this bottle with my wife and her sister.
Labeled as "Batch No. 13 Mar. 2011"

22 oz -> Weyerbacher tulip

A - Crystal clear copper, one finger white head, medium lacing, thin head is retained through the tasting, middle clears up. Light carb streams

S - Piney, resinous hops, creamy

T - Huge piney citrusy hops up front, darker caramel malt feel in the middle, long sharp bitter finish. As it opens up it almost tastes of dark butterscotch.

M - Thin to medium, light alcohol warmth

O - This is a huge aggressive double IPA, beautiful floral hop notes in the nose and mouth. It's very bright, alive and sensory. Its almost a palate killer. I'd buy this again and would imagine this is even more spectacular when it's super fresh.

tbrown4, May 14, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -20.8%

Avery Brewing Co. Their dictator series. The Maharaja IPA. Batch #13. March 2011. 102 IBU'S. 10.54% abv.

This IPA is all sorts of interesting. Vanilla or Caramel hint? Citrus, which is to be expected from an IPA. Grapefruit. But something almost smells sweeter, like a sweet melon. Or even a grape or pear. I'm having a hard time pin pointing the specific fruit. But it's not the normal citrus I encounter with IPA's. It is, but there is also so much more to this. Very floral, but not extremely aromatic. Less pine and less bitter, but only to the aromatic component to the brew for the later, not in it's taste. It's very malty, which seems unusual for an IPA. It also carries with it a strong alcoholic bite to it, but not as strong as a Belgian (thought it carries with it the alcohol content of a higher Belgian). It's clean. Crisp, but not very light. Amber pour, slight head. Still drinkable.

I never thought I’d say this, but this is an IPA I would like to try pairing with an interesting dessert, like a creme brulee. Or perhaps a fruity, nutty, or poppy salad. A lighter marinated chicken, or a lemon zested fish, but not peppered or heavily spiced. This is a very majestic brew. I imagine royalty would enjoy it. I wouldn't choose to drink this on its own again, but pair it with food.

But it must be noted that if this was brewed in March, its effect might be completely different as I consumed it a little into May. It's very common for aromatic compounds to be lost during this time frame.

[Question to others and what I'm unaware of is if the strong taste of alcohol would increase with time, and if there are IPA"s that can be slightly cellared? Also, is the degradation of aromatic compounds the melon or malty flavors I now detect? Or is this the actual purpose of the brew?]

maltstress, May 14, 2011

Pours golden copper and crystal clear with no haze. The head is fluffy and white. A great looking beer. It smells sweet and citrusy with a little bit of booze smell. The taste is sweet up front with some hop blast in the back. It is smooth and easy to drink. Very pleasant beer and will drink again!

mizzouguy, May 14, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Lucky enough to find this. Orange gold color with fluffy white head that leaves traces on the pint glass. Huge aroma: oine and citrus. The taste is a very high end malt bill with intense pine and hop flavors, very bold and sharp. Finish is great.This beer is all it's cracked up to be from everyone else's review.

DWilliams76, May 13, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

Live review. Poured from the brown bomber that I bought at Save-On Tobacco & Beverage in Mentor, Ohio for $8.99 (they had it on the shelves and in the cooler!) a few hours ago into my Brewery Ommegang Westvleteren style goblet. Batch # 13 March 2011 written on right front of label (on the Maharaja’s left arm as it were).

A Fluffy light brown, short lived head over a light caramel, translucent body that reminds me of a very “liquidy” honey. Good look and very appropriate to the style. 4.0

S Nice hopped up honey sweetness that my favorite DIPA’s feature. This is a full smelling beer for sure. I would guess that there are lots of calories in this beer! Since that is not only to style but the honey goodness balancing the bitter hops is like icing on the cake, I will assign the following score: 4.5

T Yes, I am happy to report that the taste flows right from the very good smell. There is an explosion of tastes of sweet honey, bitter hops but it is all balanced, probably a little bit more on the sweet side and I can readily tell why this beer is so popular. It reminds me of my favorite beers in this style, Southern Tier 2XIPA and Great Lakes Lake Erie Monster. 4.5

M Appropriately big, sticky, bitter, balanced. 4.0

D Not that high but drinkability is not the point of this beer, in my opinion. This is a big, attention demanding, sweet, bitter explosion of a beer that, at least to me, has to be sipped and enjoyed. I will finish the bomber but certainly would not attempt another. In fact, I can readily see enjoying the bomber with a friend. That being said, I enjoyed every bit of it. 3.5

Notes: This might be my favorite from Avery, a brewery that I have been tough on in the past for what I recall to be some average and even some below average (at least for a micro brewery) beers. This is certainly not one of those. Perspective is funny. I wonder if I had this one earlier on would my impression of Avery be more favorable overall? Anyway, I am really happy that I bought this one and I think that you will be as well.

adamette, May 13, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

Amber gold color with busy white head that rocks and clumps all over the glass. Aromas are intense and hoppy, very piney and citrusy. Flavors are of orange, pineapple, intense pine and hop resin, very bold and sharp. Finish is rippingly bitter and fantastic. Solid beer, a little pricey, but gets the hop fix.

Tripphop, May 09, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Draft to snifter. Looks good, but more amber than most double IPAs. The bouquet is excellent. Hoppy with malt and alcohol notes. Tastes great as well; hoppy and warm. I like it on draft much better than the bombers, but that could be an artifact of freshness (or lack thereof). Mouthfeel is good too, but warm, as I mentioned. Overall, an excellent brew that I'll be having again.

b3shine, May 08, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear golden color with a big white head.

Smells of piney hops and some fruit/tropical fruit...hops lead the way of course.

Tastes of grapefruit, pineapple, some earthy/pine. Malty sweetness/bread flavor presents itself in the finish and compliments the hops.

This is a full-bodied beer, smooth on the palate, some lingering bitterness that is well balanced by the malt.

One of the best DIPAs I've had, along with Pliny and Myrcenary. It has a great fruity-hop taste with a complex malt body. Not quite chewy but substantial.

Note: Get this beer fresh. I grabbed a bottle from the brewery and also had one from a bottle shop...the difference was noticeable.

TenHornsProud, May 08, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

Clear, sweet 'tater orange color. Large off white head. So-so retention but lace aplenty.

Aroma is up there with he DIPA greats. Peach ring, Juicy Fruit and Orange Julius. Great stuff.

Wow, Maharaja is really, um...sweet. Too sweet actually, so much so that it detracts from the orange sherbet and peach Jelly Belly hops. Ample bitter, a relaxed and confident bitter if you will.

Too hot and too sweet. Toned down it has the potential for a top 10 DIPA in my humble opinion.

donkeyrunner, May 08, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle (no date) into a snifter glass.

A moderate pour yields a 2 1/2-finger cream-colored head atop a clear amber copper body with very few slow-rising carbonation bubbles. The head slowly recedes and in a few minutes is litttle more than a sloppy, clumpy dusting and thick foam ring. Thick lacing latches onto the sides of the glass throughout consumption.

Bold citrus and pine hop aromas explode off the head. Grapefruit, lemon rinds, and pine resin notes combine with a sweet malt background to create a complex and nostril-piercing smell.

A surprisingly malty start slides like velvet over the tip of the tongue. A citrus and pine hop flavor with a striking bitterness rests on the middle of the tongue. A great, dry bitterness creeps in from the back of the tongue and overtakes the entire mouth.

Full bodied with moderate carbonation, this beer is surprisingly thick for a DIPA. While it isn't exactly sticky, it definitely has a syrupy mouthfeel. A little more carbonation would have helped the drinkability considerably.

output01x, May 07, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

Batch 13 Poured into a Duvel Tulip.

A: Crystal clear amber in color. Big one finger head. Great sticky lacing.
S: Sweet carmel malts up front, touch of honey. Big citrus, some pine, spicy, and herbal aromas. Booziness come through as it warms.
T: Hopforward yet well balanced. Tastes as smell suggests. A touch hot as it warms. Great Hop flavors mostly citrus.
M: Medium mouthfeel, lingering bitterness.
O: I had very high expectation for this beer and that may be why I feel somewhat disappointed. This is 2 months old and may be past its prime. Too balanced for my ridiculous hoppy tastes.

jmich24, May 07, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +7.6%

This was one of the first big American IPAs that I was introduced to. And a great example of one it is.
22 oz 'current release' bottle.

Pours a dark amber color, with a healthy looking white head. Head clung to the glass as I drank. Smells like it received a good portion of American grown dry hops. Bitterness is pretty strong followed by a floral citrusy punch of flavoring hops. Truly grapefruity in flavor. Bitterness lingers just a little but is complimented with a satisfying sweetness. Acidic and crisp, really refreshing. And with a decent ABV that is surprisingly smooth and bright in flavor. I like this beer a lot, and have for many years.

If you liked this beer, I suggest a "Gordons" or now is called the "G'Knight" from oskar blues brewing co. Very similar and also delicious.

mlazzaro, May 06, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Thanks to BeerMaverick!
Poured from the 1 pint 6 fl oz bottle...

A- Pours a nice amber/golden color. Looks very nice. Has a 3 finger off-white, almost tan head that leaves an amazing thick lace around the glass. Very inviting.

S- Heavy on the hops! Nice and citrusy, mango and grapefruit here. Love it.

T- Just like the smell, fruity, citrus hops. Nice and bitter, but well complimented with the sweet malt. Excellent bitter finish that destroys the palate, but i'm liking every second of it. At 10.54% abv, it is hidden rather well.

M- Nice and creamy. A medium to heavier bodied DIPA. Slight alcohol burn, but nothing overwhelming.

D- Very drinkable, and at 10.54% it could become dangerous. While it destroys the pallet with its bitterness, I want more and more.

Cheers!

ccm414, May 06, 2011

From tap to pint glass at Whole Foods in Fairfax, VA on 4/29/11
*From notes

Big up's to Lee for hookin' a brotha up with this one - cheers!

A: Clean and clear sun-tan amber. Great bubbly 1.75 finger head and drool-inducing lacing.

S: Holy shnikes - big league pine and resin, just dripping down the glass like a fresh cut Christmas tree.

T: Boozy tropical fruit that hits like a Mack truck. The finish is bitter, with a rich, robust caramel and buttermilk thing going on. This is a killer DIPA.

M: Smooth and chewy, it suits the beer perfectly.

O: Delicious. This is easily one of the top ten to twenty DIPA's I've consumed. I'm stoked to have had this on tap, and even happier to know I've got a 64oz growler sitting in the fridge. A hearty recommendation from Rhettroactive.

Rhettroactive, May 06, 2011