Maharaja - Avery Brewing Company

MaharajaMaharaja

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-03-2005

Maharaja is derived from the sanskrit words mahat, meaning “great”, and rajan, meaning “king”. Much like its namesake, this imperial IPA is regal, intense and mighty. With hops and malts as his servants, he rules both with a heavy hand. The Maharaja flaunts his authority over a deranged amount of hops: tangy, vibrant and pungent along with an insane amount of malted barley – fashioning a dark amber hue and exquisite malt essence. Welcome to his kingdom!

The Maharaja is the second installment in our Dictator Series.

102 IBUs

ABV varies slightly batch to batch.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,979 | Reviews: 1,774
4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

22oz bottle, batch number 13 (March, 2011). This is definitely a fresh bottle, with I believe a new label, O.G. 1.090, 102 IBUs, and 10.54% ABV this year not 10.30%.

A- Pours a clean gold/copper color with thin white head. Head dissipates quick and leaves a nice white, bubbly ring that laces fairly well.

S- DIPA goodness... sweet and juicy orange, grapefruit, cantaloupe, papaya. Rounds out with some pine, caramel and toffee, and slight alcohol pepperiness, spoiled vegetables.

T- Cantaloupe and papaya, sweet tropical fruits, some grapefruit... peppermint... pepper... The taste is sweet, reminiscent of a liquid cupcake, but not in a bad way and without the frosting (the mouthfeel helps here a lot). Malt is present in large forces to balance out the hops - chewy, sticky toffee, a bit roasty, and slight coffee bitterness. finishes bitter in a tasteful way, leaving you wanting more. Almost no alcohol, but there is a little burn on the end.

M- Creamy as can be for a DIPA, and I love it. Smooth, tiny bubbles, bursting carbonation. The body is medium to medium-full. Mouthfeel completes this beer giving it a chewy, cake-like quality that is tough to match - at least not very common. Dry finish without being overly astringent.

O- This was my first duel with the Maharaja and it was a great experience. The bottle fresh, the environment right on, and the beer ready to fight, I enjoyed it all very much. I especially congratulate Avery here for not forgetting the importance of malt complexity in a big hoppy beer. Try it.

Poured from a 22oz. glass bottle into a pint glass.

A - Deep orangey amber with a yellow-white foamy head, about one finger.

S - Grapefruit and piney citrus, with a strong sweet backbone. Very fruity.

T - Sweet, warming, and somewhat boozy. Hops and citric fruits with a strong malt body.

M - Thick and syrupy. Quite sticky as well.

O - A very good IPA, though a little different. The strong malt body reminds me a bit of an American Barleywine. Still, very good.

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

re-review on fresh batch. ~1 month old 22oz bottle into snifter.

A- Darker than expected, amber with orange highlights. 3cm ivory head, sticky lacing that's pretty thick. Good retention.

S- Heavy tropical fruit, pine sap, little dank stank as well.

T- Heavy floral perfumey and fruity hops. Very sweet. Flirting with being too sweet, the excellent hop flavors pull through. Solid caramel malt... orange sugar candies.

M- Boozy, but not abrasive. Carbonation is on the low side. Oozing hop oils... tasty.

O- Much more enjoyable this time around- I must have reviewed an older bottle last time. Not my favorite, but def. one to enjoy fresh. Will pick up another this week while I can. I am impressed, Avery wow'd me with this one.

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a bomber

A - Dark amber/copper in color, got a 2 finger tan head, receded quickly leaving slight lacing on the glass.

S - Very powerful, getting carmel malt and fresh rope/hemp, as well as hops.

T - Carmel sweetness on the front end gives way to lots of hops and some florals, ends with an earthiness and more hop undertones.

M -Mdeium bodied and very mild carbonation.

D - I'm not a huge hop head so like the balance of malty sweetness and the strong hops profile. A nice drink.

4.34/5  rDev +2.4%

A - 22 oz bomber batch 13 poured into a snifter (like the new label compared to last years) dictator series, 2 fingers of off white head, good retention, dark transparent amber color not much carbonation going on.

S- OH SHIT GD MOFO...in your face before you even have a chance to pour it, sweet caramel malts in and out, blast of tangy citrus hops, very pungent. floral esters as well some alcohol scents in the back, not getting as much pine which i was expecting.

T- sweet sweet malts up front, middle to back come the rush of hops, grapefruit here less citrus than in the nose, hint of pine in the back, definitely feel the heat, not as dry as i was expecting....CITRUS HOPS, HEAT, SWEET

M - more than medium not quite full, hops remain on the palate, minimal carbonation

O - there are not a lot of brews that give off such an amazing smell but the taste was just a bit too sweet for me. I would like to see maybe less balance from this one...hop lovers this is a must.

with all the hype I can definitely say this beer isn't quite "divine" and yes pliny still has my heart....

Not being a hop head its hit or miss with the IPA's. I originally tasted this at a local beer bar on tap and was overwhelmed with how much I enjoyed it. So I got a bottle and sat down this evening to enjoy it once again .

My initial pour was a rich cloudy dark orange ale with a creamy head with nice lacing.

The initial nose was a very well balanced combination of sweetness and citrusy bitterness.

This ale starts off with a nice mild sweetness that quickly is taken over by the hops that is evident but does not go overboard. It finishes with a bitter crispness that isn't overwhelming. The alcohol begins to show itself as the brew warmed up, but stayed very nice and smooth. Very drinkable.

The mouthfeel was creamy with moderate carbonation.

A very delicious Imperial IPA that I would certainly recommend to friends and foes alike, cause every one deserves good beer. Did I mention this was a very drinkable brew. Enjoy!!

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

Batch 13, March 2011. Poured into a Duvel tulip. Clear body that is between amber and copper in color. Two finger light tan head that dissipates promptly leaving a small amount of lacing on the glass.

Excellent aroma - it just jumps right out at you. Rich hop aromas including pine, citrus, mango, and floral. There is also some sweetness there but hard to distinguish if it's from the citrus or the malt.

The flavors are as deep and rich as the aromas. The hop flavors feature grassy pine, grapefruit, and orange. The sweet balance attributable to the malt works well.

The mouthfeel is medium and smooth. There is a little notice of the alcohol that detracts just a little. But, overall this is an excellent DIPA.

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

Batch #13, March 2011 bottle. Poured into a 9 oz. bulbous whisky glass.

A: Nice, dark orange color, with a few, thin bubble trail leading to a respectable, foamy head. After settling, a slight layer of head remains. Amazing legs on the edge of the glass throughout the drink, sticking in more than complete curtains of lace on the sides of the glass.

S: Immediate citrus and pine hit the nose, and almost a field of flowers hang over the glass. This sets up an expectation of intense flavor to follow. A sweet fragrance lingers after taking in a full waft...

T: ...And then the booze hits. Hmm. I re-read the label, and take special note of the malted barley. It's not that it's bad, just an unexpected first impression after smelling so much citrus. I understand now why this brew is unique in the community. An intensity that screams "HIGH IBU" follows, lingering well after the swallow, tingling for awhile on the tongue. This is fresh, and exactly how the brewer intended when he capped it. The alcohol isn't quite whiskey, but more ETOH, an almost unfortunate downfall. Mucho hops saves this from being too boozy to enjoy.

M: There is a thickness that stays in the mouth throughout, boldly staying with you, almost daring you to imagine pine tar coating George Brett's bat. A layer of film stays after the swallow, forcing you to swish you tongue about as a finisher. I can't think of a better example of umami in a non-stout/porter beer. I'm glad I chose the smaller glass to encourage consuming this in sipping fashion.

Overall: As I finish the last few ounces, I'm taken both by the uniqueness and sheer amount of ingredients used. This is an intense experience, and presents itself like a grand entrance to a great champion. I cannot recommend any food pairings with this, as it just KILLS with overwhelming, sudden force. The high booze taste almost begs to be aged, but therein lies the flaw: High-hopped beverages are best enjoyed fresh. These two competing priorities keep Maharaja from being the Great Gama it seeks to be. It's still a great drink, and definitely worthy of being entered into comparisons with PtY and Bad Boy. But, it lacks the subtle drinkability that accompanies such others in the hop-head category and price range of Nelson and Hop Juice. This imperial reagent needs a little refining before taking the top crown.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Cool label....the guy on the bottle is all business.

Pours a pale amber with a nice one finger head. Spotty lacing with the head dissolving into a swirl of foam floating on top.

Aroma is killer! It is a hop bomb. Love it. Lot of pine hops

Taste is awesome. Nice balance of pine hops and a citrus and fruity hop.

Great Beer!

3.4/5  rDev -19.8%

I'll be honest; I've been anxious about getting my hands on a Maharaja for some time. Everything I've read and all my friends who know what I like suggest this will be a DIPA that I will like.

Poured from a bomber into a Duvel tulip yields a deep copper ale with a large off-white, almost tan head. The head recedes and leaves a little lacing. Soon all trace of head and lacing are gone.

The aroma is strong of resin, some citrus and biscuit/bread dough which only heightens my anticipation and causes my palate to salivate. To my immediate disappointment my first sip has a spicy, obtrusive alcohol presence that is a turn-off. The hops are quite pine-y and spruce-y and less citrus-y and sweet than I had hoped for. Do Simcoe hops work well with all the "C" hops? The huge malt bill does make for a sweet ale, though, maybe a little too sweet for my preference. The bitterness is huge, and one I'm sure many hopheads will love, but I'm not as enamored as I hoped I would be. This Maharaja does rule with a heavy hand as Avery's website claims. The mouth feel is oily and somewhat flat, and has a little too much bite from the alcohol.

Overall, Maharaja doesn't hide its big alcohol well enough for me. Its hop profile is a little out of my flavor preference and it's too sweet.

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

I was looking forward to this beer. Batch number 13, poured from a bomber. The aroma is of alcohol and some citrus hop sweetness. The appearance is golden with a strong red/orange hue. The head does not last long and leaves lots of lacing, indicating that it is probably a very viscous beer. The taste is malty with citrus notes followed immediately by some bitterness. This beer seems a bit sweet. Overall I am glad I was able to pick up a few

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

This one was really interesting.

Color was a bold copper. Great lacing all the way down the glass. Nice head on pour that had great resilience.

Smelled citrusy, but also a very strong sweet malt aroma - surprising for a DIPA.

Incredibly rich. Anise, caramel, along with the expected smooth hoppiness of a DIPA.

Moutfeel - full-bodied, creamy, and heavy.

This was a really rich imperial IPA with a high ABV. If there is a such thing as a winter IPA, this would be it.

3.92/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured a bomber into snifter. Batch No. 13, Mar 2011. 10.54% ABV.

Beautiful color, light amber orange-ish. A little head subsides quickly leaving lacing that spots a little.

Citrus hoppiness quickly turns to heavy malt action, still quite smooth throughout. It is sweet like candy. A lot of fruitiness also present.

Citrus, grapefruit, lots of different types of fruit going on. Turns a little biscuit-y with a dry finish. At 102 ibu the bitterness is matched nicely with the malty tones.

Nicely carbonated and much lighter than anticipated. The warmth of the alcohol is barely noticeable.

I thought this one might be too sweet for the style but I did not find that to be the case. The fruit really shines through and is balanced very well with the malt finish. Hard to believe the abv is so high but i did start to feel it. I really enjoyed this one and if it were priced a little lower, I would consider it a go-to type
DIPA.

3.88/5  rDev -8.5%

Batch 13 22oz bottle
Oranger Amber tone

Nice fresh hoppy smell to it. Slight melon fruity, malt scents. Some citrus character.

Hot bitter hops throughout the taste. Apples towards the back end. Apples and tangy citrus. The alcohol and hops compliment each other well. Nice balance. Alcohol becomes more prominent as I drink as well. It eventually gets to a consitent slight hops to sweet citrus, nutty malt to hoppy alcohol intense finish. I keep getting a hint of lemon zest but its almost at random.

Medium mouthfeel. Smooth Carbonation.

Overall, pretty good. Definitely worth a try. I love DIPAs and I thought this was good. I wouldn't pay $10.99 for this again, but I'm happy I tried it. Too much alcohol after awhile, and I typically wouldn't say that.

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Batch 13
March 2011

Wow! Where do I start?

Poured into my chalice deep bronze color nice light bronze head retains well minimal lace.
Aroma outstanding. Can't quite pick out individual flavors but moving on to taste, intense hop and malt flavors at the same time. The greatest beer sometimes is the last beer I had and that might be the case this time but suffice it to say that you want to drink one of these before you die.

Update April 2013
On tap at local watering hole recently blew me away. It had been a while - too many beers and all that. Checked back on my review and reassured by my original 5 on taste. Upticked appearance and mouthfeel. Deservedly so.
Release 17 2013
Not quite as overwhelming that I had on tap but still stellar. This beer should be much higher on the pecking order of top 250 in my opinion.

4.84/5  rDev +14.2%

Wow! This brew is inspirational and awesome, balanced and tasty. The fact that it has such a high ABV is almost disappointing. To badly misquote Robert E. Lee "it is well that this beer is so terribly strong otherwise we should grow to love it too well..."

Pours a rich copper color with a rocky and clingy white head that retreats with the same tenacity as George Thomas "The Rock of Chickamauggua".
The aroma of this heady brew is sweet malt peppery and spicy hops with healthy dose of bread and not the least bit of shoddy... and somewhere in ther I foud sweet cantaloupe...

The taste is sublime and balanced between sweet malt and tangt pine and citrus hops. Notes of melon and a nasal burn of drying alcohol.

Mouthfeel is light carbonation and slick smooth malt. Neither excessively thick nor watery with average carbonation.

Overall, this one of the best beers I have tasted. Tomorrow I will walk down to Whole Foods and grab a few bombers to check for my flight home. I normally carry on but this is well worth the otherwise inconvenient checiking of a bag and picking up at the far end.

Sad, but true...

4.83/5  rDev +13.9%

On-tap poured into a tulip at Euclid Hall.

A: Bright orange to copper with amber hues, great lacing and a thick of white head.

S: Big massive piney hops, resinous almost and very chronic like. Touch of tropical fruit sweetness and stick thick malt.

T: Surprisingly very well balanced! While the hops are present and seductive with intense bitter quality, the malts thicken up this brew with perfect balance making this a sipper. Tropical fruits- pineapple and mango are present but only sweeten out the hops.

M: Full bodied with a an even coat across the palate. Great carbonation and a finish that's to die for.

D: Fantastic beer! This is a staple for hop heads and IPA's across the board. The alcohol is very well masked and the hops are seductive and balanced with a solid malt backbone. Great beer for winter or summer.

3.62/5  rDev -14.6%

I had the last batch of this beer, but I didn't review it... Couldn't pass it up this time around.
Served in a snifter.

A fairly dark color for a "west coast" DIPA. A burnt orange color with slight auburn hues. A ram head of two fingers is sticky, but settles pretty quickly, leaving only a frothy film and some chunky continents of lace that spread out and stretch like a micro-version of a plate tectonics demonstration.

The nose has huge malt notes-- caramel sweetness and toasty bread and crackers with big old hops following close behind. The hops are giant citrus-- orange, pineapple, and grapefruit mostly. The flavor follows all the notes the nose hinted at, but adds a resiny note towards the finish-- a bitterness is light and fresh with slight pine notes.

The beers only real downfall is the boozy heat that comes through at the finish... The alcohol really comes into play... And not in a good way. The flavor is great-- the alcohol is an issue.

The body is nearly full with strong carbonation. Some nice oily feel coats my teeth.

Overall, this would e a great beer if it weren't so strong in the booziness... It is a serious flaw in my opinion, and certainly hurts the overall score. This could easily be a top 10 DIPA with a little modification.

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

Picked up a bottle of this one as soon as it showed up on shelves here in Chicago. Batch #13 from March 2011. Served in a Stone IRS tulip.

A - Quick-dissolving white foam that settles to a thin haze and persistent thick collar, leaving behind spotty lace. Transparent bronze body.

S - The hops have that slightly cheesy dank note to them that I get sometimes, along with tropical fruits and a bit of citrus. Brown sugar malt backbone is present, but this lies somewhere between the coasts in terms of balance. Alcohol is extremely well-hidden.

T - Huge tropical fruit character, with straight up melon and cantalope flavors mingling with lightly browned sugar and cookie malt character. Bitterness is surprisingly low, and alcohol is non-existent. Drinks a little bit like candy.

M - Smooth texture, medium carbonation, medium-full body, oily residuals. Could use a bit more dryness in the finish to offset some of the sweet flavors.

D - This is a balanced DIPA but a very good one. Too strong for sessions, but something that I would purchase again and have on-tap if I knew the keg was fresh.

4.57/5  rDev +7.8%

Batch 13

I had this beer two years ago and it wasn't too memorable. That was the time when I just started drinking craft beers regularly, so my palate has probably changed.

Appearance-Clear orange color with little to no haze. About 2 fingers of head which turns into a ton of lacing. Ring of lacing rests on top of the orange beauty. Love the bomber look too.

Smell-I was expecting a complete hopbomb but on the first whiff I get some very sweet malt. Citrus hops come through and I get a ton of Grapefruit, and Orange. Hints of pine and flower come through as well, this scent is amazing.

Taste-Like the taste it starts off with a sweet malt. Once it gets to the back of your through you get the extreme citrus and bitter hops. Dry finish makes you want to go back to another sip to get that sweetness again. The perfect balance between sweet, malty, bitter and citrus.

Mouthfeel-Medium-Full bodied with just enough carbonation. After the first sip by mouth felt a little numb and instantly warmed the body.

Overall- This may be the most dangerous beer I have ever had. 10.54 ABV and this is so drinkable. The dry finish makes you coming back for more, and I did. I almost regret buying 3 bombers at a time because I'm going to want to have to restrain myself for going for another 22 ounces. All in all best beer I've had in 2011.

8/16/11-Drank the Batch 14 and it was horrid. Smelt sour, like popcorn and charcoal and just wasn't right. I drank it within 2 months of bottling date, Ended up w/ a Drainpour.

Batch 13 gets an A+
Batch 14 gets a D-

Dammit.

3.78/5  rDev -10.8%

Bought this at Central Market before hearing that I could get St Arnold Divine Rreseerve #11 today. Compared thte two and this got crushed. I remembered liking this more in previous batches... hrm. Bottle dated 3/2011. Served in a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

It looks perfect on the pour. A caramelly translucent brown with a pillowy white head. I could sleep on that. Unfortunately, the head dies down a bit fast. Damn you, high ABV.

The nose has hints of a double ESB. Hoppy as all heck, but still caramelly and somewhat medicinal fruit. Could have used more citrus hops. Something brighter would have balanced this a lot better. Is this a pretend barleywine? One of my friends says peaches. Let's go with that.

The taste is thick. Damn. Maybe a bit too sweet, too. I think this is a mediocre American Barleywine instead of a DIPA. The hops aren't bright enough or have enough citrus. Not as peachy. Quite bitter, but that's balanced by the malt.

This is a good offering, but I think it could be improved. I'd take a DR 11 over this almost every time.... or even a SN Bigfoot.

4.45/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Batch 13, bottled March 2011, 10.52% ABV.

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a snifter glass.

A: Pours a clear orange with a one finger off white head that settles a bit and leaves nice lacing.
S: Sweet citrus, aromatic and bitter hops, and a nice malt presence in the background.
T: Flavorful hop bouquet to begin the onslaught, followed by sweetness from the sturdy malt backbone, orange and grapefruit, and finally the brew finishes with a bitter alcohol bite combined with more citrus.
M: A bit sticky and cloying, medium carbonation, smooth finish.
O: The finish on the taste sounds a bit overwhelming, but it the alcohol bite is just noticeable, and it hits with a good amount of bitterness and citrus flavor for a balanced combination. This beer is perhaps one of the best IIPA's I've ever tried, and now that I've tried it fresh, I think I can put it right up there with Green Flash & Double Jack as my favorite IIPA's. (Note, I prefer the citrus characteristics these beers impart more than I do pine, but I respect and enjoy PtE for what it is, but not as much as these 3).

2.61/5  rDev -38.4%

On Tap

Churchill's Pub & Grille
San Marcos, CA

A beautiful beer. A very dark orange and amber. Thin white head, great lacing. Nearly perfect.

An obviously hoppy aroma but lacks the citrus or pine nuances that I truly love. I smell quite a bit of melon though which is unexpected and nice. Some alcohol.

Disappointing taste. Loads of bitterness and a huge amount of sweet malt presence but this beer seems completely out of balance and hot with alcohol. A bit syrupy. A little citrus and some melon, but only in the background. Not for me.

A rich mouthfeel, plenty of carbonation, but overly hot.

This beer really disappointed me. I was hoping for a world class DIPA but this one seems closer to a mess than it does anything spectacular. Hot with alcohol, a ton of hop bitterness, and little of anything else very pleasant. Wanted to enjoy it, but it wasn't anything to write home about.

3.41/5  rDev -19.6%

Pours a cloudy golden orange with a nice two finger off white fluffy head. Nose is remenants of faded floral/citrus hops and big caramel, bread malts. Taste is similiar, bitter in the middle and lingering finish, but predominately malt now that the hops are diminished. Medium bodied mouthfeel. Undeserving of this review and the hunt will continue to try this years batch.

(Another dusty bottle on the shelf at Ryan's. Batch 12.)

4.06/5  rDev -4.2%

New Label, Dictator Series, Batch 13, March 2011

Pours a majestic crystal clear deep orange/red with a thick fluffy white sudsy head. Gorgeous richness and clarity on the appearance. On the nose this has a lot of citrusy, piney hops with some biscuit malt in the background and a bit of heat. The first sip hits you with a considerably weighty mouthfeel. This is a sweet, oily, viscous high alcohol brew. Spicy malt notes mingle with plenty of bitter hops. The richness makes this hard to drink a lot of but not surprising given the 10%+ abv. All in all a massive DIPA that impresses with it's power. Go big or go home!

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Maharaja from Avery Brewing Company