Maharaja - Avery Brewing Company

MaharajaMaharaja

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Maharaja is derived from the sanskrit words mahat, meaning “great”, and rajan, meaning “king”. Much like its namesake, this imperial IPA is regal, intense and mighty. With hops and malts as his servants, he rules both with a heavy hand. The Maharaja flaunts his authority over a deranged amount of hops: tangy, vibrant and pungent along with an insane amount of malted barley – fashioning a dark amber hue and exquisite malt essence. Welcome to his kingdom!

The Maharaja is the second installment in our Dictator Series.

102 IBUs

ABV varies slightly batch to batch.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-03-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maharaja Alström Bros
2.6/5  rDev -38.5%

I'm really sorry guys, i know i should think this is a god beer but i don't. it was highly recommended by my bartender. It tatsed like pine sap to me. Other than that it was a pretty good beer, but it was to hard to get past this taste for me. I've had other, more balanced tasting IPAs that didn't hit me over the head with pine taste. i prefer more citrus than pine.

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

A: Poured from a growler to a tulip glass. Had an amber color and a cloudy consistency. There was a quarter inch of foamy, long-lasting head and good lacing.

S: A nice aroma of hops, citrus, malt and a floral quality.

T: Complex taste of hops, grapefruit, malt and a certain odd sweetness. It's a big, bold taste - just like an Imperial IPA should be.

M: A highly carbonated beer with a mainly smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

D: A drinkable beer. Has a big ABV%, but is still easy to drink.

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours out with a thick whitish-bubbly head and lots of lacing. The color is clear and crisp orange/tan. Smell is mild and mostly of bitter and citrus, but with a sweet hint as well. The taste starts out pretty sweet, then there's some nice malt character that is often missed in these strong IPAs. The finish is hints of citrus and bitter hops, and a twinge of alcohol. The aftertaste is mainly of those bitter hops. Good drinkability - a little rough in the later tastes on the mouthfeel, just because of the alcohol taste, but it's to be expected at this high ABV. Good stuff.

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This brew was found at the Happy Gnome in St. Paul, MN. Poured cold in a tulip glass this beauty shows a light copper, clear and glowing with a fair off-white head and decent cascading lace. The aroma emits a pronounced but tasteful grapefruit, somewhat floral at times with a sweet bread base. The flavor is tart cider pine with full malt earthiness. It borders on the bubblegum edge but instead reaches into that hard grain core to keep you grounded and blissful. As you go you pick up some peanutty touches and evident alcohol to warm you up a bit. It's full bodied, lightly but confidently carbonated and smooth as can be. The bitter hops hold the highlight here, becoming even more pronounced as you go. Drinkability would seem marginal based on alcohol but it is a wonderful taste sensation. Very grainy, tart and good!

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

Appearance: Pours golden sandy color with some pearly colored head with lacing that stays..she's a beaut and we're off to a good start.

Smell: WHOA! definitely floral with overwhelming piney and citrusy grapefruity notes all over.

Flav/MF: Off the chain, just like it smells, LOTS of grapefruit and other citrus notes. Accompanied by piney taste with a hoppiness unlike any other i've had. This brew is truly one of a kind. The Alcohol is not noticable to me until late in the aftertaste and still hidden very well. Mouthfeel is good, carbonation is balanced and the mouthfeel is clean forreal.

Drinkability: not for those uncultured to DIPA's. not a good starter. This was my 1st DIPA and i was overwhelmed, drank it because it cost much but i enjoy it much much more now. Being that it's seasonal grab one while ya can. Got one today.

Overall this brew is amazing, my first flirt with the DIPA and I am in love now and it is my favorite style. Very nice IPA here, get some if you can.

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Somewhere between copper and amber, clear with a soapy 2 finger cream colored head, fades to half inch. Smell: first whiff is all tropical fruit - pineapple, papaya, passion fruit. A toasty and caramel sweetness that goes well with sweet fruits. Pine, spruce, and mineral notes. Taste: sweet with a big piney, raw, leafy flavor. Canned pineapple mix of sweet and acidity. There's seems to be a little citric rind down in there too. Smooth and sticky with a healthy dose of the ibu. Mercilessly drags you to the intersection of pine and pineapple road, it's a nice place to be. A nice fresh June 2009 Batch 10. By the end of the bomber it's time to bump the rating up a bit for that wonderful piney dance on the tongue and the ability to light one's breath afire.

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

A- Pale orange in color, medium sized white foamy head that quickly fades to a thin layer.

S- Sweet nectar of squeezed hop juice.. yum. The barley has a strong presence as well. There is a sweet overtone of green apple that makes this one of the best smelling IPA's I've had.

T- Bitter but juicy hops cling to your tongue up front.. and balanced malt follows through meanwhile the 10% ABV is making its presence known. The finish is not impressive.. its a thick monotone flavor that masks the balance I smelt. I liked this less and less the more I drank it.

M- Thick bodied. The taste left on the palate is bland and is not sticky.

D- Hop heads will enjoy this one. Its balanced, but lacks in mouthfeel however it's got balls with the 10.24% ABV.

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%

Pours cloudy copper with a one inch cream colored head. The citrus smell from the hops and the light carmel malt combine to create an interesting plum smell that's a bit different than most DIPAs. The mouthfeel is a bit thick for the style but that's moderated by the lively carbonation. The taste starts with an intriguing toffee/peach sweetness that blends with the lavender hop taste while keeping the strong bitterness at bay. Each sip takes a long time to develop: the sweetness lasts surprisingly long and, just when you think that the hops will pull a no-show, they slowly fade in as the sweetness retreats. The finish is like spending a January night with a Nelson Algren book: long, bitter, and a bit alcoholic.

The beer never quite comes together to a coherent whole and I wish that some of the more complex citrus hop flavors were allowed to shine a bit more, but there's a lot to explore in this beer and it's definitely worth trying. Sidenote: the malt complexity here makes me think that this may be one of those rare DIPAs that becomes almost like a good barleywine when aged. Time for a little experiment...

3.63/5  rDev -14.2%

I bought this at a BevMo and was surprised how much I did not like it.

The appearance is a GREAT golden amber color that is really thick for an DIPA. It has a really nice oily texture and the alcohol consistency does wonders for this one. Looks great with a big white two finger head. Also left a lighter lacing.

The smell was great. It had a great citrus pine smell that made my mouth water. Once the bottle is opened it just explodes with smell. Also smells sugary sweet.

The taste is like WHAT?!? Great first impression then there is a pine or herbal bitterness that just shocks you midway and after. What the hell? I paced back and forth trying to figure out what the hell was going on and I just figured it was the bitterness with the mouthfeel that just lets me down. I love unique DIPA's, but this is not for me. The alcoholic taste is not masked very well and makes the bitterness even worse. I do not know and people will think I am crazy but this was a HUGE letdown. Honestly Avery has not showed me anything spectacular. I have some more of their brews to try but overall this was sub par.

J

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Served in a tulip glass. Color was a deep orange copper with a nice finger of solid tan head. Beautiful film of lace.

Spicy pungent hop aromas with a big citrus twang. Sweet and caramelly bread behind.

The malts are toasty caramel and spiced bready malts. The hops are big, fruity, sour, and citrusy up front, and bitter, spicy, slightly grassy, and resinous in the aftertaste. Nice alcohol bite.

Med bodied, hop sappy, smooth.

Drinkability was great, high in alc, but well masked by the other flavors. A very well done beer. Super hoppy, nice malt character, and a good alc%.
I reviewed this beer once before from a bottle that must've been past its prime, it was good but no where near what I had heard about it and have now personally witnessed.
I only had an 8 oz. pour, cause it was an outrageous 8$ for 10oz. But it was awesome and I wanted to drink more. I will keep my eye out for you Maharaja! And if you are fresh, I will buy you and drink you!

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

Bomber. This was a dark caramel-amber color poured into a Duvel tulip glass. Smell has a bitter caramel character with definite hoppiness.
Taste is initially dominated by malt, the sweet caramel/Campbell's soup-esque darker malts that I've picked up in a number of beers.
Following that are the typical strong IPA flavors: bitter hops/grapefruit, pine needles, etc. A lot of earthy characteristics to this one.
Not too strong, alcohol is there but not overwhelming.

4.68/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours a murky blood-orange color. No head when it came my way, and it can't be determined whether or not this is due to bartender's pour. Love the color, tho.
I can smell this one two feet away; very bright and sweet with fruity malt goodness. Quite unique; no other beer, especially IPA, smells like this.
Also sweet upfront. Very juicy, as in orange, mango and grapefruit. Honey and brown sugar notes also factor into the sweetness. Nice dropkick of piney hops to balance out the malts.
Creamy and admittedly heavy in the mouth.
This is a wonderfully complex beer. Much more going on than the standard floral/grapefruit in many offerings of the style. Be careful, the alcohol is well-hidden in this one, and hits you hard if you're not careful.

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

on tap poured into a tuliup glass

a: hazy orangy copper color, 1/2" light off white head, with good retention, reduces to lacing rings and cap

s: piney, citrus hops, slight sweetness from malt.

t: nice citrus hop flavor profile, grapefruit. Nice caramel malt backbone balances well with the hop bitterness.

m&d: medium bodied, slightly oily mouthfeel, very drinkable despite high ABV. Very drinkable DIPA

Cheers!!!

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

The beer was poured a red hazy color with a white head. The aroma was most definitely Amarillo or similar hops. The taste was sweet, sticky, and of course hoppy. There were some spicy notes as well. Also detected a yeast flavor, and the warming sensation from the alcohol. Very lovely.

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

From Susan's Fine Wine and Spirits in Santa Fe, NM: batch #10, June 2009.

Appearance - dark copper with a creamy head. Great lacing all the way down the glass.

Smell - grass, pine, and a little caramel.

Taste - great combo of smooth citrus and spice. Well-balanced with a warm finish...it is 10.69 abv.

Mouthfeel - slightly oily. Medium.

Drinkability - This is a great Imperial IPA. Nothing overwhelms anything else in this perfectly balanced beer. Exceptional!

Bought at Whole Foods in Pasadena, Ca-Arroyo Parkway.
Bottled in Feb. 2009, Batch 9.

Smell off the bottle is definitely hoppy with a grapefruit smell. Poured a dark golden color in wine glass which is the only clean glass I have at the moment. The taste is definitely hoppy like a double IPA should be. Nice. Mouthfeel fills the whole mouth with a tingly sensation with a good alcohol back end. Drinkability is take your time sipping this beer. Good on a warm summer day/evening. I'll throw in Winter too.

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

I've never had a brewer be so inconsistent for me and I'm starting to wonder if it's me but Avery Maharaja has been the most inconsistent beer I've ever tried. I'm going to review it based on the best I've had. But in reality if I had only had one of the bottles this could be a two or a four.five.

Cloudy amber-orange pour with very visible sediment and a decent fluffy thick head that held at about one ince for the whole glass. Laced decently but not evenly. One bottle tasted like an Ale even but for the most part this is a great very hops-driven and some citrus IPS true-and-through. On the nose it is identical and unremarkable for a double but great overall. Good solid carbonation and a meal sort of density to it. Very good beer if you get a good bottle but like other Avery's I've had it's been inconsistent for me.

3.78/5  rDev -10.6%

My 2nd brew by Avery (the first one I ever tried was THE BEAST so I've been a little hesitant.) Nevertheless, I'm glad I gave this a whirl.

Got on 6/25/09 at Doherty's in RI.
$8 on tap poured into a tulip glass.

A) Like cloudy ruby-red grapefruit juice. Lovely 1.5 inch fluffy head of off-white foam. Slowly dissipated into a white ring; left lovely rings of lacing all over glass.

S) Major hops! Piney, citrus, just plain ol' hops. Also something a little sweeter in there, like apple.

T) Like it smells. Ends on a definite bitter note.

MF) Crisp, well-carbonated, medium-thickness

D) Good. Obviously it's a DIPA, and I do love my IPAs. But even for me it's a *bit* too bitter. But it's a pleasure to have one of these over the course of 30-45 minutes or so, and I definitely felt the buzz after a short while. No need for a 2nd one but it was a pleasure.

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%

This was a treat. Very rich oily hop flavors. Coats the mouth well with a hoppy resin.
Big ABV! Wow! But the taste hides it quite well. I will be buying more. Looks spectacular in a glass and the head is nice to look at as well. I would prefer the beer if it were slightly more crisp and clean. There is a slight aftertaste that agrees with my palate for the most part but its just a tad to sweet. After a third of the bottle goes down though you get quite warmed up to the flavors and its an overall excellent Imperial.Great contender in the DIPA category and the bottle is friggin sweet! Get it if you see it if you don't see it go find it!

4.68/5  rDev +10.6%

Batch 7, Bottled Feb. of 2008. ABV listed as 10.54% on this one.

Pours a very nice copperish color. There's some cloudiness, but it could be from the temp. of the beer. Clears as it warms. Two finger head, fairly persistent.

Smells sweet. Very sweet. Some honey hides behind these big citrusy hop oils. This is the way I love my DIPA's to smell.

Taste follows nose, with a bit more focus on the bite of the hops. I can't imagine what this is like fresh. Some caramel sweetness at the back. Ends in that honeyesque sweetness.

A bit slick on the tongue, nice mouthfeel overall. Good weight. very nice.

Very drinkable for a 10.5%. Had zero alcohol bite to it. Fantastic DIPA overall.

3.85/5  rDev -9%

served from a 22oz. bottle -- batch 9, Feb. 2009 -- into a goblet

Looks like an IPA should. Nice and ruby-orangy with a decent, off-white head. The head recedes quickly, but leaves a neat, solid wall of lacing behind.

The hops are already faded; I can tell from the nose. I suppose I should have figured from the bottled-on date. It smells like, well, months-old HopSlam: the citrus, mango and pineapple scents are there, but fleetingly so. Some astringency. Various undistinguished malts dominate the nose.

This definitely tastes like a past-its-prime double IPA. But that doesn't mean that its bad or without merit. Caramel malt sweetness meets an initial earthiness from the hops. Around the middle of the drink, the fruits make themselves known. Tangerine and something that tastes like plum (the aging has affected that flavor, I take it) dance around before giving way to a slightly astringent earthy finish. Its old, sure, but its still good. I've had less flavorful fresh double IPAs.

I love the mouthfeel on this beer. Perhaps its months-old age has something to do with it, but this beer strikes a superb balance for me. Its just thick enough to be luscious but also thin enough to be refreshing and drinkable. Thanks in no small part to the mouthfeel it is not a chore to polish off the whole bomber. Most people aren't going to want to drink more than one 22.oz bottle of this at a time, so I'd say that this beer is drinkable enough.

Despite having some age on it my bottle of Maharaja was pretty good. I'd love to see how intense the fruit flavors and the IBUs are in a fresher bottle.

4.63/5  rDev +9.5%

Batch 10, 22oz bomber bottled in June 2008 (on June 4th to be precise, as stated on the case). 10.69% abv, 1.090 O.G, 102 IBUs.

This is a beautiful beer to behold, crystal-clear amber topped with a snow white head. There is plentiful lacing and the foam layer remains at an inch or so.

The aromas are of the forest, I feel like I am still in Sequoia National Park. And not to be forgotten, there is grapefruit...

And this is just how it hits the palate, only more so. The malt backbone is silent and invisible, yet its presence makes the hop explosion an exceptional and unique delight. Ever so balanced.

The carbonation seemingly forces the hops into the gums, which are soon comfortably numb while swimming in hoppy oils. I am beginning to sense the power of the Maharaja, yet on a good night I am beginning to believe that I could down two of these marvels.

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Enjoyed on-tap at The Flying Saucer Draught Emporium in Columbia, SC. Served up in a beer goblet.

Deep copper-amber hue with a finger of creamy off-white froth. Displays nice head retention, leaving behind tight rings of lacing. Clarity is sparklingly excellent.

Aroma is the highlight of this DIPA, with a huge, bold nose of American hop delight. Wildly citrusy and floral, with sweet notes of orange and apricot delicately dancing with grapefruit and grapefruit peel and bright lemon zest, along with a beautiful flowery perfume.

A medium-full, nicely carbonated body holds within a rich, sweet maltiness up front that is quickly superseded by a wallop of bitter hops that surrounds the palate and envelops, with a warming alcohol presence accentuating the bitter resins to create a powerful biting quality that is just barely held in tow by the malty underpinnings. Finishes dry with a lingering hop presence.

A superb Imperial IPA and a showcase for the power of American hops. Powerful and powerfully delicious, but probably a bit too much for more than one.

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

Very distinctive label. I'm not a big fan of Indian Beers but the American Beer withe IPA Historic context label does stand out. They choose their hops well. Nice almost creamy feel. Dam good IPA.

This is in the top 10 of the home craft beers I've tasted. I would venture to state I think this beer would taste a bit better a few degrees warmer than your fridge temperature.

This is a strong flavor hops beer but no where over the top is hoppyness. Well done guys.

22 oz. bomber

A: Pours a orange-red with a small amount of head that hangs around for a while, looks quite nice.

S: Aromas of pine and grapefruit, a little bit of malt in there but it's really overpowered by the hops.

T: Bitter, piney, citrus. That malt does a good job of backing it all up, it's pretty nice.

M: Good body, it's substantial but not too heavy. A little sticky, it's nice.

D: Pretty good for the style. I had no problem polishing off the bomber.

Maharaja from Avery Brewing Company