Maharaja - Avery Brewing Company

MaharajaMaharaja

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

ABV varies slightly batch to batch.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-03-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maharaja Alström Bros
Photo of

3.3/5  rDev -22%

Had a 22oz. bomber. Poured a dark gold/copper color with very little head. Aroma was all hops. Taste was mainly citrus & hops, but the malt came through as well and I thought this was sweeter than other IPAs I have tried. The mouthfeel was smooth, but the beer came across as "heavier" than I would expect from an IPA. Drinkability is a hard one to call, it was smooth, but heavy. Alcohol was not noticeable at all. Pretty easy to drink one, but not a session beer.

06-07-2006 13:34:19 | More by
BARFLYB

3.3/5  rDev -22%

32oz growler from De Cicco's in NY after the captain. In a glass.

A- Deep orange shaded bronze metallic with a gorgeous tanned foam on top with vigor. Notches down the side of the glass, spray paint like.

S- Smells like a nugget nectar with more booze, nugget, simcoe? semi citrusy hoppy with a malt overlay. Sweet boozy, hoppy.

T- A real malty double I. Maha comes off with mild citrus, orange and something else. Malt is up there with sugar and sweet. Some booze, it shows, a small caramel bite, no pine.

M- A sweet rush followed by a muted hopping under the malt and barley. A big medium body that does not shield the booze to much. Carbed up well off the spout.

D- I got through it, not my favorite double, not one i'll seek out again. Too east coast for me, this is nearing Stoudt's DIPA territory for me, not a good look.

07-27-2010 02:04:29 | More by BARFLYB
taylorhamrick

South Carolina

3.3/5  rDev -22%

Pours out an almost amber color with a big off-white head. The bubbles look dense and clingy and started to lace the glass early, though the head kind of falls back relatively quickly, leaving only a few swirls of bubbles after the first few sips. Looks pretty good. Smells very good too. I can immediately smell the fruity hops, grapefruit yes, but also tropical fruit, mango etc. There's a hint of sweetness and peachy alcohol, but really the hops dominate with whiffs of pine, resin, and grass as well. As usual, Avery has thrown in the huge ABV, with this bottle saying 10.27%, and I can really taste it, which hurts on the hop front for me. But there is enough hop flavor in there to see past it. I get the alcohol burn and hop bitterness first, followed by an intense grassy taste with just a kick of tropical fruit behind it. Finishes with a little battle between tart dryness and malty sweetness. The huge alcohol note hurts the mouthfeel, giving me primarily burn, but I kind of like the resinousy feel from the hops. Almost chewy from the hoppy flavors, though the malty liquid itself is kind of thin with alcohol. And this one really wears on you. Its a very enjoyable beer, but I was already slowing down after 4 sips or so. The alcohol just warms you and starts to make your head spin a bit quick. I would recommend it, but you might want to split it between friends to enjoy it the most - too much booze.

03-16-2009 18:57:31 | More by taylorhamrick
geexploitation

Indiana

3.28/5  rDev -22.5%

Pours a slightly cloudy, perfectly gold color with a dense, sticky head that leaves lace on the glass but doesn't last to see it. Huge, resiny, piney, citric hop aroma that could probably be duplicated by sticking some Centennial hop pellets up your nose. At higher temperatures, some more earthy and fruity notes come out to play in the aroma. On the palate, thin, razor sharp mouthfeel and hops that will smack you around. Huge piney and resiny notes, with very little malt backbone -- massively imbalanced. Orange, mint, all the stereotypical flavors of American hops make an appearance here. It's got hop complexity in spades, but pretty much nothing from the malt end. This beer is like sucking on a hop pellet. Well, it's a little sweeter than that, if only from the ABV, but this seems to me a beer that only a hophead should love. Sure, I can look at this objectively and say it's a well-executed Double IPA, but that doesn't mean I'd want to drink it a second time. Good for the style, but it loses points for massive imbalance in my (utterly subjective) world.

03-05-2007 05:02:58 | More by geexploitation
maddogruss

3.28/5  rDev -22.5%

Poured a bottle of this into a glass mug.

A: Pours a dark amber body with a small, off-white head with decent retention adn ok lacing.

S: A nice, hoppy smell with some grapefruit undertones that seemed quite enticing. Some additional citrus (perhaps orange?) undertones were noted.

T: A nice, hoppy taste with a slightly burning and alcoholic aftertaste. As I drank the beer, some earthy notes replaced the alcohol aftertaste, which did well to balance the beer.

M: A full-bodied and very smooth beer that is typical of this type of style. A nice, smooth mouthfeel was very pleasant on the palette.

D: A fairly drinkable DIPA based on the mouthfeel and taste combination, but it might get to you later because of the decent ABV. Still, a pretty good beer overall.

While the only other beer I've had from Avery is the Kaiser, this brewery - like some other Colorado based breweries I've had - proves to be quite good at their offerings.

08-10-2008 16:20:47 | More by maddogruss
BeerBelcher

3.28/5  rDev -22.5%

A n IPA I purchased when out west a few weeks ago. For those in the Mid-West, I feel Maharaja is not as good as a Three Floyd Alpha King or Gumballhead, but it is a decent IPA. Very decided bitterness but a bit short on the grapefruit or pineapple esters present in the other beers I mentioned, so it felt kind of unbalanced to me.

There is a lingering bitterness that seems to stick the rear of the top of my mouth.

Odor is dry hop. Not very fruity for an American IPA.

Appearance is hazy, orange, abundant head.

Recommended, but not best in the style.

10-13-2006 02:51:30 | More by BeerBelcher
Marcelozicker

08-17-2013 23:23:45 | More by Marcelozicker
zzrellis

02-28-2013 16:41:14 | More by zzrellis
Dspohn

3.25/5  rDev -23.2%

22 oz bomber into an oversized wine glass. Batch 10, bottled June 09 so this beer is a few months old.

A. Pours a couldy orange color with a nice solid off-white head. Decent retention with some lacing.

S. Big fruity/juicy smell. Big on orange and some tropical fruits. There's also some slightly spicy malt.

T. 102 IBUs?? Maybe some of the hop kick has faded but it doesn't seem quite that bitter. I found it to have a pretty solid hop kick right off the bat with an orange rind and piney taste, but a pretty sweet aftertaste and overall profile. This beer has a pretty big malty body too. The malt flavor was quite interesting actually and I detected some plum flavor that I'm not really accustomed to with IPA's. Alcohol warmth present also. Pretty balanced DIPA. Tasty.

M. Smooth with subtle carbonation, medium body, good but nothing fantastic.

D. A good beer but the alcohol is fairly present which limits its drinkability. I'm curious to try the next batch when it's fresher to compare.

Edit: Re-rating this beer after trying some fresher bottles and on tap as well. Unfortunately I still don't care for this beer much, I find every time I try it I enjoy it less, so I'm actually lowering the score. In general I find it to be overly hot with a fusel alcohol presence. Bitterness never really pops as I'd like even fresh and on tap. Heavy booze soaked oranges and pineapples with a warm sweeter malt finish.

Some people really dig this big bold DIPA but it always seems overly heavy on alcohol, sweetness, and malt to me. Not to mention at around 10 bucks a bomber where I usually find it in CA I feel like I've given this beer a fair chance but don't plan on buying any more of this. A decent DIPA but for the price point I'd much rather get a 6-pack of Odell's or Racer 5. Hell I can get 2 bombers of Just Outstanding for the same price and I'd say its also twice as good.

10-14-2009 21:10:38 | More by Dspohn

New Hampshire

05-31-2014 21:27:05 | More by ScotNH
bjohnson

3.25/5  rDev -23.2%

22oz. bomber. $6.95 from Liquor World Porter Sq. Shared with a friend.

A: Pours a cloudy dark amber color with a nice frothy white one finger head. Dissipates nicely and leaves a thin film on the sides of the glass.
S: Deep piney and grapefruity notes hit the nose first with a nice malty background. Second sniff gets more malt than hop notes.
T/M: Big dark fruit maltyness comes through first with an ever so slight hop background. Slight grapefruityness is noticeable, but not huge. Malt is the most dominant flavor here. Nice spicyness can be noticed after a sip and a breadth out. High abv is can be felt by a warm chest after about a half a glass. Thick and creamy in the mouth with a medium to thick body. Coats the mouth well. Where are the hops man? This isn't what it should be...
D: Drinkable, but more drinkable on tap at TPH or Redbones, which both currently have it. This rating would be through the roof if I rated it on tap. This was a drain pour casualty.

08-09-2006 00:21:29 | More by bjohnson