Maharaja - Avery Brewing Company

MaharajaMaharaja

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

ABV varies slightly batch to batch.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-03-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maharaja Alström Bros
SShelly

Oregon

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours bright yellow with large poof of white head, retention and lacing all look above average.

Aroma is citrus and grapefruit, straight hops in the nose.

Not overly bitter, but a nice upfront punch, layers of citrus behind, leaves sweet hop flavors in the mouth.

Overall very tasty, but something with the balance of this beer has always bugged me, it just doesnt all mesh together for me and leaves me thinking a few tweaks could make it amazing.

07-01-2010 15:12:28 | More by SShelly
popery

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

Beautiful amber liquid with a creamy beige head. The aroma is lush and full of oranges, spruce and caramel. It's big and full and wonderfully hoppy. The flavor is fairly incredible. It's incredibly sweet. I like sweetly hoppy beers, but I could understand a criticism of this aspect of the beer. The feel is oily with hops. The alcohol is almost completely hidden, except for some peppery notes in the finish. It's a wonderful beer with a huge amount of hops.

4/12/2010 - Batch 11 (10.41% abv). Not quite as great as I remember but still quite good. Seems fairly boozy this time without quite as much hop delicacy. Some bland bitterness.

01-14-2009 07:05:11 | More by popery
JRed

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

Cloudy orange topped by a mountain of white fluffy head. Awesome hop aroma with deep citrus notes and cream. Citrus flavors, hop bitterness, huge hop flavor. Creamy mouthfeel with a heavy body. Alcohol is there but not too oppressive. One of the kings of the IIPA's.

01-01-2010 02:42:54 | More by JRed
vtfan77

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

From what I understand, only a few cases of Maharaja were shipped to Virginia this year, and I was fortunate enough to score a bottle of this brew. My good luck almost turned sour when, upon returning home with my score, I dropped the bottle on the pavement. Thankfully it did not break. Hopefully the beer did not suffer as a result of my clumsiness.

A- The beer pours a crystal clear copper with a healthy head and great lacing. This looks like a good indication that the beer survived the fall without harm.

S- Intense hop aromas emanate from the beer. Tons of citrus and floral are present. Hints of honey and alcohol come through as well.

T- Sweet upfront with big flavors of orange and pine. The malt is a force as well. It does more than just provide a backdrop for the hops; it asserts itself with a strong caramel and honey flavor. Alcohol is present too, but it's not too strong. The bitterness is strong on the finish, but it's not too much.

M- The body is thick and almost a little syrupy. The carbonation level is fairly low, but still tingles the tongue a little.

D- It's rich and alcoholic, so the drinkability is limited in that respect. Still, the beer is good enough that the bottle can be consumed in one sitting.

This is a very good DIPA. It reminds me a good deal of Bell's Hopslam; too bad it's so rare in these parts. If you're a DIPA fan, you should definitely try this if you can find it. Recommended.

06-28-2008 03:56:20 | More by vtfan77
cooler4life

Quebec (Canada)

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

A: Poured a one finger light sandy brown head that dissipated rather quickly. Created a oily, multicolored pond of bubbles off to the side when settled. Color is a murky, red pine with generous micro-bubble lacing.

S: Malt, lemon, winter pine, caramel apples, new leather, pineapples. The nose is really sweet.

T: Starts with sweet cream, piney hops, and citrus. Transitions to a more powerful alcohol bitterness. Strong malt backbone throughout. The sweetness lures you in..until you are beaten into submission by the Maharaja.

M: Resinous and sticky, this beer presents itself reserved and smooth. I could use a tad bit more carbonation. The ABV does not even make an appearance.

O: I'm torn with this one. As the beer warms it becomes more complex, but I'm a bit scared to fully embrace it. Overall, a solid offering from Avery.

02-10-2012 02:20:59 | More by cooler4life
CrellMoset

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

Extra from afterexile - thanks! Poured into a 22 oz. brandy snifter.

Appearance: Pours a hazy, dirty orange ... or red ... or brown? Not sure, this one's a very strange color. Lots of active carbonation, very fine, and a huge, sticky meringue-like head with amazing retention and structure. The lacing is also fantastic, thick, sheet-like, and leaves rings with each sip you take. It'd get a perfect 5.0 if the color were a little more vibrant.

Aroma: Hugely sticky, resinous pine tree and grapefruit. Wow, I can even smell the bitterness. Or is that alcohol? Is it a bad sign I can't tell? It smells like burning, but it hurts so good.

Taste: More hugely sticky, resinous pine tree and grapefruit, but plus an absolute crapton of bitterness. Sticky, bready caramel malts, a few other roasted notes.

Mouthfeel: Incredibly thick and syrupy, mild carbonation, and medium bodied (as far as head goes).

Drinkability: Had this on tap before (at Brickstore in Decatur), and I think it was a little better on tap. Still, a solid, good, west-coast IIPA.

11-14-2008 04:52:46 | More by CrellMoset
thethrone

A - Pours bright copper, with frothy 1" head, heavy lacing

S - Fruity hop aroma in the nose. Smell of oranges with floral notes.

T - Certainly doesn't hide what it is: Strong hop flavor, notable citrus and pine. A little alcohol burn on the back end.

M - Full bodied, with a low carbonated, silky/syrupy feel on the palette.

D - Definately a big DIPA, and I found it very enjoyable. Would certainly reach for it again, and would love to try it right off the tap.

08-12-2008 04:35:44 | More by thethrone
tr4nc3d

Kansas

Bottled in Feb.2009 Batch 9

Poured from a bomber into my pint glass

Pours a hazy copper color with a white three finger fluffy head. Good head retention all throughout the beer and lacing is left scattered all behind.

Smell is full of citrus/piney hops with good floral notes to it with the caramel malts. Just like an IPA should smell like.

Caramel malts upfront that mellows out into a slightly citrus flavor. Piney hops follow leaving with a small bitter hop bite at the end. The age on this one has been noticeable and the hops have faded quite a bit. Still a tasty brew.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with good amounts of carbonation. Dry sweet aftertaste.

I want to try this again but being more fresh, still a good brew as it is and would pick one up again.

06-05-2009 19:10:18 | More by tr4nc3d
TuckerCarlson

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Drank on-tap out of a tulip glass. Cloudy amber with a decent head to it and better lacing than I would have expected, given the alcohol content.

Beautiful floral smells. I could have spent the entire time just breathing in the aroma and feel like I'd gotten my money's worth.

Strong hoppy citrus flavors in the introduction, followed by decent malt flavor. Finishes with overpowering piney oils that may be a bit over the top.

Incredibly rich mouthfeel, among the best I've had, though it missed the 5 by having a bit less carbonation than I felt it deserved. Could have been a fluke, though, because I've had other draft beers come across as under-carbonated because they were either from the bottom of the keg or from a keg that wasn't finished quickly enough.

Drinkability goes down because this beer is so overpowering that it almost precludes conversation. As a friend who sipped my beer said, "that's work", and then immediately afterward commented that his Lagunitas IPA tasted a bit insipid by comparison. Also, I had donated blood earlier in the day, and the effects of the alcohol were downright distracting by the time I got to the bottom of the glass. Not that I would have considered not finishing it, however.

I will definitely order this beer the next time I'm at Korova, a bar on the Commons in Ithaca, NY.

05-12-2007 02:24:45 | More by TuckerCarlson
Jason

On tap @ Sunset Grill

Deep orange hue, excellent lacing. Semi-pungent citric oil hop aroma, hints of pineapple & granny smith apple skin as well. Super smooth and creamy viscous mouth feel. Hay like, citric zest, toasted malt, fruit with passion fruit and a fruit punch like flavor. Soft yet muscular bitterness ... lots of hop petal flavor, aka "grassy". Warming alcohol has not problem showing off a bit.

A "kick in the pants Double IPA".

05-03-2005 01:49:15 | More by Jason
ADR

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Good medium copper apearance, a stiff but overall short head of about 1/4 of an inch. Nice laces, spread evenly about the glass. Aroma has a good hop oil scent, a bit on the lemon side, not so pithy or juicy. Good mouthfeel, heavy but with OK carbonation. Flavor is well-balanced and that's a good thing, I say. A brown sugar thickness, some molasses but a big hop counterpoint that does the beer in good standing. There is no way I could mark this beer down, now that I am drinking a bottle by myself (it was fun pouring it with Adam Avery at the last BA fest)...the "Raja" has a balance I don't get in many Double IPAs...maybe its still the memory of Russian River face-to-face with this that makes it good but not world-class in what that style CAN be...

08-07-2005 02:18:46 | More by ADR
mutterfudder

New Hampshire

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured in to a Stone IPA Tulip-ish glass.

A - Copper and somewhat hazy. Thick white head that settled down to a thin layer of foam. Lacing down the glass of foam and bubbles. Quite nice looking!

S - Fresh hop, citrus and spice. Ahhh.. I haven't had a hop bomb in a bit and it smells darn good.

T - Hmmmm. Malty up front, almost sweet. Oh, there are the hops! They don't really hit as hard as I thought they might. Very piney and bitter by the finish, pretty complex for the style I thought.

M - Surprisingly not very carbonated. It left a bit of a oily taste in my mouth. Not bad but not good either.

D - I liked this beer well enough, but one was enough. There are other beers to try.

Somewhat disappointed in this, after hearing all the raves. A good DIPA but not one I'd reach for often.

01-07-2010 03:13:25 | More by mutterfudder
AKBelgianBeast

Alaska

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Thanks to sprucetip for sharing this one. purchased at brown jug.

Pours a nice clear amber/orange color with good white head. Smell is mostly spicey flavor hops and malt. Taste follows, spicy hop flavors mixed in with some good grapefruity hop taste and a solid malty backbone. Mouthfeel is what it should be for a good DIPA. Drinkability is suprisingly good considering this batches abv is listed at 10.54%. a good DIPA, and one I will buy again when looking for good balanced hop flavors without a palate thrashing hop bite. Thanks to sprucetip for the brew!

04-03-2008 10:14:12 | More by AKBelgianBeast
Alieniloquium

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

22 oz. bottle poured into 2 pint glasses. I'd like to say I shared it... but I didn't.

Appearance - Dark amber color. Very dark for an IPA. Quite clear for an IPA, too. Cream head that disappears quickly, not much lacing, but there's a good amount of residual on the top of the beer.

Smell - Dominated by grapefruit. Great aroma. Sweet background caramel smell. Smells great and lets you know it's not a light IPA by any means.

Taste - Citrusy hop flavor. Not bitter at first. The fresh hoppiness gives way to a strong malt sweetness very quickly. The end is a bitter finish. As it warms it picks up a slightly odd aftertaste I can't quite pinpoint.

Mouthfeel - Has the mouthfeel of a barleywine. Syrupy with all the sweetness. Much like a Bigfoot's mouthfeel. Very heavy bodied for an IPA.

Overall - I've had two bottles. The first I was not happy with. The second one I am much happier with. There's definitely an off-flavor in there. The second time around I didn't detect it as much. I have a couple bottles left that I'll definitely drink, but I won't by as much next year until I try it first.

04-07-2011 00:16:16 | More by Alieniloquium
thagr81us

South Carolina

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Served from tap into a standard pint. Pours red-orange with a one finger white head. Maintains excellent lacing throughout. The aroma was comprised of sweet hops and a very slight hint of malt. The flavor was big on hops, with a bitter bite upon swallowing. It had a medium feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a nice IIPA. The hop flavor can start to get a little overwhelming after some time but the bite at the finish is quite nice. This one is a must try for all hop heads out there as it is pretty close to be a complete hop bomb.

07-16-2010 11:51:12 | More by thagr81us
SpdKilz

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Appearance - Pours a hazy copper color with about a finger of slowly dissipating head that leaves pretty good looking lacing around the glass.

Smell - Heavy citrus aromas such as grapefruit and orange peel. Piney and hoppy.

Taste - Bitter up front from the hops and unripe grapefruit - however, there is actually quite a heavy malt backbone, i.e. sweet caramel and toasted malt.

Mouthfeel - Medium to heavy mouthfeel. This is one thick sucker - lower carbonation, finishes with a slight bitterness.

Drinkability - One and I'm done. I've been meaning to try this but it isn't what I was expecting it to be. I feel there are two heavy competing tastes - the massive bitterness which gives way to a heavy malty backbone. I personally don't like beers made as such, so it is just personal preference. Also, there is definitely a slight alcohol taste while sipping this beer, and a noticeable warming of the throat.

07-25-2010 05:18:17 | More by SpdKilz
longbongsilver

Missouri

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Had a chuckle at the store over the label, then noticed the strength & wondered how a 10% IPA worked, so I picked up a bottle. Pours out a dark orange, w/ a really thick light peach head, takes a bit to fill the mug. Kinda gives off a herbal smell, a bit of pear in there too (at least that's what it smells like to me), though that doesn't stay for long. So where's it go? Only one way to find out...

Wow...there it is! The hops come in on a warming, somewhat boozy wave, prominent without annoying my mouth. More savory than bitter, very little carbonation and not much malt note to speak of. Shifts towards a sweetness as it goes down, surprising considering the style.

I've got to say, the Imperial IPA style is a nice change of pace, and if the rest of it is in the league of this beer then count me as a fan.

02-05-2010 21:11:37 | More by longbongsilver
bcm119

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Clear copper with a robust off-white head. Ripe citrus nose with a touch of sweet biscuit malt. Initially a pervasive but soft grapefruit rind bitterness spreads across the palate, but a balancing malt sweetness is not underrepresented. Hops are a bit raw and green, turning from citrus to leafy mid palate. The mouthfeel is buoyant and full, with plenty of fine carbonation and a slight viscosity. Malt is nicely integrated with the bitterness, and doesn't get too estery or cloying, but it gets close. Some nuances of tea and earth come through as it warms. Finishes big and bitter. Overall a nicely done beer; well balanced, complex flavors with an excellent mouthfeel. A nice double IPA with no real faults but not particularly outstanding in any way either. A bit pricey.

04-19-2008 02:02:42 | More by bcm119
gtermi

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

A: This pours a very nice copper with a one finger thick head that quickly fades. As the head fades, it leaves a lot of lace on the glass.

S: Lots of hops and malt. The hops give of a nice citrus and pine smell. There really isn't much else to the smell, but it honestly doesn't need it. It just smells so good!

T: At first there is a lot of hops, but then I start to get a nice amount of malt. The hop taste lingers on the back of the tongue and the malt on the front.

M: There is a strong amount of crispness on the front, middle and back of the mouth. It feels like I have a lot of foam in my mouth. It also has a strong crispness going down the throat.

O: This is a very solid DIPA. It is far from my favorite, but it does have a lot of great qualities.

01-21-2012 06:05:51 | More by gtermi
blackie

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

22 oz. bottle. White/off white head. Color is a medium amber. No freshness date indicated.

Immediate smell is of floral hops...grassy, citrusy, piney, in your face hops. Some sweet malt is hiding in there as well. Hints of tropical fruit (mango stands out). Ethanol is only evident if I look for it, inhaling deeply. Smells great.

Carbonation is very low, I wish there was just a little more to better carry those hops to my nose. Body is medium.

Hops are at the front again, but it seems that there is enough malt to balance them out pretty well. The hops are great...piney, fruity, citrusy, and tickling the senses. Finishes with a considerable hop bitterness and some slick malt remaining on the tongue.

A good one to try if you haven't had it, but a bit pricey (I paid $5.99). Could have been hoppier, especially on the tongue. Tasty as hell in any case. Drank this one at around 55 degrees.

07-03-2005 05:00:14 | More by blackie
deadonhisfeet

Kentucky

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured from a growler into a Goose Island tulip. The pour is an amber-apricot color, dark for an Imperial IPA, and has a bit of haze. The head is fine, about a finger thick, and is an eggshell white. I could smell this one the moment I opened the cap on the growler. Big notes of over-ripe peaches and grapefruit hit me smack in the nose. It's fruity, sweet, and a little bit resiny.

Medium-full body and a big creamy feel. The flavor is exceptionally well-balanced with big, malty flavors of toast and marmalade up front followed by hops that accentuate, not over-ride, the maltiness. This beer is sweet, but not cloying, syrupy, or medicinal. The hops add spiciness and fruitiness. The finish has just a hint of booziness, but not nearly enough to suggest that it really carries a hefty 10.4% ABV. Very drinkable for such a robust representative of the style.

Another Beer of Fame off my list. Definitely glad I waited to get this one on tap. Still, I wonder if it isn't a little bit past its prime. I expected something much more hop-forward.

05-15-2013 01:25:51 | More by deadonhisfeet
Wegbier

Colorado

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

yellowish eggshell head that starts with dominating size and it slithers down into large oasis of big foam
the bubbles are few and they creep up slowly inside a brilliant honey amber. from a snifter
same bottle now pouring the second time into a regular pint glass and i see so much carb action

spicy almost stinging(alcohol) pine hops that are sweet from the light malt back bone.

the taste is deep and thick hop bitterness, only some hop citrus notes, i dont know where that aroma went.
from pint glass with enduring large head i wouldnt even guess it is the same beer, citrus pine notes mask the bitterness and bring out a distant caramel malt background

balanced and full of power is this great king. strong and complex. it is heavy on the palate
a little oily

heavy balanced dangerous mouth destroyer.

07-28-2009 22:27:16 | More by Wegbier
daliandragon

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

I remember having this on tap at Tyler's in Durham last year and I couldn't believe how good it was. I taste tested it against the Hopslam and discussed the merits of each with the knowledgeable bartender. I hope the bottle stands up to that experience. This Raja pours a muted orange and slightly hazy with a creamy off white head and lace that covers everywhere the beer has been.

Instant withering hops greet me as I take a slow skip. Citrus and especially pine are the active players. The malt then steps in with dark fruit flavors and caramel and chocolate tones. The finish returns to the hops and the aftertaste shows elements of both. Mouthfeel is thick and oily in the finish. I like this beer but I'm not overawed with it the way I was on tap.

12-14-2008 02:50:41 | More by daliandragon
TheSarge

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

The Maharaja Imperial IPA is a brew to behold. I was used to Avery’s Belgian style brews and it’s nice to try something a bit different from this brewery.

Judging initially by its appearance, I can see this is what I’d expect from an Imperial IPA. It produces a large amount of off-white head that sticks around until the very end. The body is hazy and amber/caramel in color. There is a slight amount of sediment visible here too.

The aroma this produces is obvious of a strongly hopped IPA; with dominate piney and spruce aromas.

Taking a sip of this brew is like biting into a grapefruit, to put it simply. I describe this to my wife (who doesn’t like beer much), and she tasted this brew the same.

Maharaja is thirst quenching at first, but finishes very dry. There is a slight warmness from the moderate amount of alcohol content.

Overall this brew is quite good. This is definitely comparable to Stone IPA with a bigger alcoholic kick. Schukria!

05-09-2007 19:23:36 | More by TheSarge
hopsaplenty

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Deep golden amber. Mountainous sand colored head of fine bubbles which settles slowly leaving strands, bands, and ribbons of thick lace. A handful of moderately active carbonation streams are visible. Rich resinous pine and tree sap and orange and grapefruit rinds are distinctly noticeable from a distance. The orange citrus oil flavor fills the front end along with an ample dose of pine resin. A thick malt body sports a thick coat of hops. The finish is warming deep in the throat and filled with spiciness and more citrusy resinous flavors, but they do not cling to the tongue and the finish is substantially shorter than anticipated. Certainly not a palate wrecker of a double IPA. Full bodied and on the thick side, the carbonation is relatively low. The hops oils are only a bit sticky and slick, but the malt weighs them down. Overall, the hops are big, but not huge and the alcohol is noticeable after the fact with its spicy heat. I could enjoy a few pints of this on draft and would be interested in seeing how it shines on cask.

Thanks go out to Heath for trucking me a box of fresh CO beers on a recent east coast visit.

09-11-2006 16:13:12 | More by hopsaplenty