Maharaja - Avery Brewing Company

MaharajaMaharaja

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

ABV varies slightly batch to batch.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-03-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maharaja Alström Bros
Bluestar

2.53/5  rDev -40.2%

On Tap

Churchill's Pub & Grille
San Marcos, CA

A beautiful beer. A very dark orange and amber. Thin white head, great lacing. Nearly perfect.

An obviously hoppy aroma but lacks the citrus or pine nuances that I truly love. I smell quite a bit of melon though which is unexpected and nice. Some alcohol.

Disappointing taste. Loads of bitterness and a huge amount of sweet malt presence but this beer seems completely out of balance and hot with alcohol. A bit syrupy. A little citrus and some melon, but only in the background. Not for me.

A rich mouthfeel, plenty of carbonation, but overly hot.

This beer really disappointed me. I was hoping for a world class DIPA but this one seems closer to a mess than it does anything spectacular. Hot with alcohol, a ton of hop bitterness, and little of anything else very pleasant. Wanted to enjoy it, but it wasn't anything to write home about.

03-29-2011 01:45:18 | More by ehammond1
aaronxsubaru

2.6/5  rDev -38.5%

I'm really sorry guys, i know i should think this is a god beer but i don't. it was highly recommended by my bartender. It tatsed like pine sap to me. Other than that it was a pretty good beer, but it was to hard to get past this taste for me. I've had other, more balanced tasting IPAs that didn't hit me over the head with pine taste. i prefer more citrus than pine.

07-19-2009 19:43:33 | More by aaronxsubaru
n2185

2.7/5  rDev -36.2%

A: Pours a clear, coppery orange with a finger of off-white head that recedes into a thin ring with little lacing.

S: Some caramel malt at first followed by lots of sweet orange and pineapple aromas. Nice--smells like a tropical citrus blast.

T: Sticky sweet caramel malts at first followed by a strong resiny pine kick with a lot of bitterness. There are some slight grapefruit flavors in there as well. The finish has a strong alcohol burn to accompany the lingering bitterness.

M: Medium body with low carbonation, this beer is a bit thick and sticky for the style.

O: Unfortunately, the flavors cannot live up to the nice aromas of this beer. The nose promises a tropical citrus fruit blast and the flavor delivers a hot, thick, bitter mess. This beer is ~2 months old at this point, but it just showed up in my area and I'm of the opinion that the best DIPAs are still great even with a few months on them.

05-28-2011 19:48:16 | More by n2185
Beaver13

2.73/5  rDev -35.5%

22 oz bottle. Pours a golden amber with a creamy white head that goes to a thin film that leaves a lot of lacing.

The aroma is much more reserved that I was expecting. At first, all I get is earthy metallic hops. Then some sweet melon and tangerines come out to dominate. I also pick up some medicinal alcohol astringency.

The flavor is sweet melon followed by some harsh alcohol (that becomes less noticeable as time goes on) and a bitter almost metallic hop finish with a lingering bitter aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium-full and creamy.

Overall, another Avery "big beer" disappointment for me - they sound soooo good, but don't live up to expectations for me. I've had much better IIPAs. I don't like the sweet melon in an IIPA, the alcohol is a bit much, and I don't care for the hop flavor and finish. Great Divide's Hercules is MUCH more up my alley. To be fair, as I finish the 22, it becomes less un-appealing.

03-17-2005 05:22:24 | More by Beaver13
PeprSprYoFace

2.73/5  rDev -35.5%

Grabbed a few bottles of this at my local spot.

Pours a clear amber with a very nice frothy white head and lacing.

Aroma isn't as strong as other DIPA's I've had but good. Very citrucy. Kinda pineapple and citric.

Taste is good. But it has a weird grainy flavor. Don't know what it is. The bitterness left on your tongue is weird as well. But it's citrucy and juicy.

Mouthfeel is weird because of the above flavors. Leaves a resonus feeling on your mouth.

Overall an ok DIPA. Better than alot but not in my top IPA's

Edit:

I'm havin a hard time finishing this. It really has a weird bitterness and taste. It's not infected. Just must be this years batch. Not very good. I think I'll be pouring the rest.

03-25-2011 03:53:26 | More by PeprSprYoFace
kojevergas

2.73/5  rDev -35.5%

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Fort Collins Brewing pilsner glass. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a 3.5 finger head of fair cream, good thickness, and pretty good retention for the ABV. A semitransparent copper colour. Filled with floating yeast.

Sm: Hops. Fresh and inviting. A mild to moderate strength aroma.

T: Very hoppy, but with too much overdone bitterness. Some artificial cream is present. Too bitter, and quite boring. The bitterness overshadows all the other flavour. The finish is far too bitter. The first act is okay.

Mf: Too coarse, and wet. A generic approach to the style.

Dr: Drinkable but imbalanced and boring. I might try it on draught, but otherwise I wouldn't have it again.

01-04-2012 06:32:04 | More by kojevergas
smakawhat

Maryland

2.75/5  rDev -35%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Didn't seem to care much for this out of the bottle so let's see if on tap makes a difference.

Looks great for starters, a real nice orange bodied slightly cloudy with a creamy off white head and some lacing. Gorgeous body color.

Smell. I am not getting it but a big butter thick sensation... not of diacetyl either. I am looking for hop presenece here and I am not finding it this is really odd, I smell next to nothing everything seems very muted.

Hop ambush on taste with a big grassy chew somewhat but a lingering grain and melted butter slick and thick spiced hop finish. Oily once again as I remember it. Barely a hint of citrus perhaps some orange zest but not able to get passed a lingering just basic bitterness that wont go away. If I want bitter give me some flavor with it for starters.

Overall I find this thick, syrupy and it's even a bit boozy uneccesarily, and I can't get rid of this aftertaste which is just an unpleasant bitterness, and not even a pleasant hop bitter. I feel like I drank a stick of butter also which really isn't fun. Still can't get into this brew and I am never having this again, this isn't for me.

05-27-2011 17:35:07 | More by smakawhat

04-23-2013 17:53:58 | More by unclejazz
denver10

Kentucky

2.75/5  rDev -35%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a coppery orange with a white head. A floral and piney aroma sitting on top of a hefty malt base. Flavor follows suits. A fuller, kinda syrupy mouthfeel to this. Overall, can't say I was a fan of this one at all. I prefer my IIPA's to be fruity, this one seemed to be lacking in that completely.

08-07-2012 20:50:57 | More by denver10

Giantspace

02-25-2013 04:38:46 | More by Giantspace
DrDCon

2.8/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I am truly disappointed in this brew. It poured from the bottle nicely with a pale orange color and white foamy head that stuck around.

Sour-mash, grapefruit, balsam tree smells.
Tastes of orange initially, fading into an radically bitter pine-tree, almost of unripened juniper berries. Mouthfeel is dry, makes my taste buds desire water over more of this beer, the beer's greatest downfall in my opinion. I struggle to drink it because of the lingering balsam-juniper taste which I feel is uncomplimentary to the initial fruity flavor.

07-20-2009 20:13:59 | More by DrDCon
blakelive784

2.83/5  rDev -33.1%

1 pt, 6 fl oz bottle served in a nonic pint glass, reviewed from notes:

A - Pours a semi-transparent amber/copper color with a 1.5 finger head of decent creaminess. Retention is OK at best.

S - Strong grapefruit notes, musty citric hops, sweet caramel. The hops are fresh, but a bit generic.

T - Musty, grassy hops and strong citric notes are countered (but not balanced) by some sweet caramel malt. The citric hops are overbearing and far from balanced, but I still find it a bit refreshing.

M - Light bodied with medium carbonation. I think it's a bit to smooth, however.

D - It's not bad, but it's not good. Just an average offering in my book. I appreciate the freshness of the hops, but it's entirely unbalanced.

01-11-2012 03:50:27 | More by blakelive784
rfbenavi80

Missouri

2.83/5  rDev -33.1%

Bottle was ket in fridge. Batch 13, March 2011.
Poured into a tulip.

A- Pours a sunset orange, hazy, creamy yellowish head that lingers
for a while.

S- hoppy. Strong malts.

T- Sweet, dark caramel. Hops, lots of bitterness from the hops.

M- Good carbonation. Can taste the alcohol.

O- Not the best DIPA that i've tried. Don't get me wrong, it's
drinkable, just not my favorite.

01-18-2012 03:07:01 | More by rfbenavi80
ArrogantB

2.85/5  rDev -32.6%

A friend scored a bottle of the brand new batch from the brewery and was kind enough to share. This wasn't first time trying the Maharaja as I had last years batch sometime in the summer. This batch was amazing! The color was orange and hazy. The smell was straight pine and grapefruit but not at all cloying. the taste was so hoppy and delicious. I can't wait until this hits the shelves so I can snag a few while they are fresh. A truly outstanding beer and Avery's best in my opinion.

update - batch 9 02/2009

cat-piss, cat-box just a really poor taste and not what I am used to tasting in this beer. I think this beer was a lot better when it was 9.7% and I thought it was pretty good but now it is just a pungent (not in a good way) stinky mess, goddamn...this sucks.

02-26-2007 16:59:33 | More by ArrogantB
Frozensoul327

2.93/5  rDev -30.7%

A: Hazy orange color with hints of reddish yellow hues. Medium levels of carbonation, and a dense, rich head of orange/white foam. Lots of lacing.

S: Smooth, yet dense aromas of hops, citrus, pine, malty grain and a earthy grassy sweetness.

T: Strong hop presence that overpowers all the nuance flavors; grapefruit, pine, sweet & sour citrus notes. They're all washed away by a dry hop presence. Malty backbone quickly gets thrown to the back of the palate. Very hoppy, and a bit too much "one sided". Flavor doesn't really develop.

M: Oily, slightly sticky and dense. Otherwise, the carbonation remained in the glass and didn't translate to the palate.

D: One and done. This one was way too flat and boring for me. There are far better DIPA's out there. The abundance of alcohol didn't help things, either.

05-13-2007 00:06:29 | More by Frozensoul327
ms11781

2.93/5  rDev -30.7%

Bottled on 3/21/2011. Reviewed on 04/04/2011. 22oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a clear ruby red color with a finger of white foam. Head dissipates quickly and leaves a soap-like lacing around the glass.

Great hop aroma from the nose. Huge citrus and pine aromas are present along with some tropical fruit. There is also a sweet characteristic to the nose. Caramel malt and some ripe fruit seem to be here as well.

The taste is considerably different from the nose due to a huge presence of alcohol. The big citrusy and piny hops are here, but not as assertive as they were in the nose. Sweet caramel malt is here as well but the alcohol that is present completely changes the profile. Slight bitter finish that lingers a bit but the alcohol is prevalent towards the back end.

Slick, oily and sticky. Bitterness isn't all that strong but it sticks a bit. Normally these work well with a DIPA but they don't work with the alcohol in this one.

Overall, this one has a great nose. It's very enticing but the rest of the beer doesn't live up to the aroma. The alcohol is overwhelming at some points and provides a harsh finish at others.

07-30-2011 06:24:55 | More by ms11781