1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Maharaja - Avery Brewing Company

MaharajaMaharaja

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

ABV varies slightly batch to batch.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-03-2005)
Ratings: 4,114 | Reviews: 1,707 | Show All Ratings:
WanderingFool

Maharja pours a clear copper color with a frothy white head on top. The foam dissolves slowly to a thick ring around the surface of the beer leaving a fair amount of lace on the sides of the glass.

A strong hoppy aroma of citrus and pine floats above the beer. Each sip of this medium bodied beer is somewhat chewy on the palate. Strong hop flavors dominate each sip with their citrus and pine notes. A dry malt taste in the background balances out all the hops. I think I can detect a bit of bubblegum in there too. It finishes bitter with grapefruit notes.

For hop lovers you've got to put this beer on your list.

09-03-2005 23:41:52 | More by WanderingFool
jakester

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

I had this on tap at Union Jack's on the Manatawny. It came in a snifter glass.

Arrives a pretty orange/amber with a one finger head of off-white foam. The head is sticky, and there is great lacing on the glass. Carbonation is evident.

The aroma is strong grapefruit/citrus, wonderful toffee/caramel malt, and not a hint of alcohol. I can't wait!

The first flavor is huge hop bitterness, then grapefruits, lemons, and tangerines, delicious. Maybe some pine needles thrown in there also. The alcohol is hidden very well. Caramel candy malt is just enough to balance this, sort of. Aftertaste is citrus-y and bitter.

The mouthfeel is smooth as silk, a big hop bitterness at your throat, and a nice carbonation zing. The finish is sweet and bitter. Lip-smackingly sweet.

This is a wonderful DIPA, full of hops in every way. Gotta be one of the best. Big malt, big hops, big alcohol, everything you could ask for in a DIPA. Highly recommended.

08-31-2005 20:14:59 | More by jakester
tjthresh

Indiana

3.3/5  rDev -22%

Pretty let down by the aroma. Mostly sweet malt and alcohol. The beer looks great. Deep red and oranges with a sticky off white head. After a couple of drinks my mustache is very sticky. Very sweet with a lot of burn. And it doesn’t hang around long enough. Don’t get me wrong. I’d never turn down the Maharaja, but there are a few that I’d pick before.

08-27-2005 12:39:56 | More by tjthresh
SkeeterHawk

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance: Slightly hazy orange caramel color with about a half-inch head at first pour. The head fell in less than a minute. There are a few bubbles rising, but they don't stick at the top. I am assuming that this is an indication of the beers strength.

Aroma: Plenty of citrusy hops that Avery is famous for. There is also a noticeable helping of caramel malts to balance out the aroma profile. The alcohol isn't noticeable at first pour.

Taste: It is a pretty heavy tasting beer for having such a light color and fresh aroma. It does taste like there is a wallop waiting in this bottle for me. The profile starts out with the citrus from the hops being the predominant part of the profile, but this is slowly replaced by the assertive malt laying in wait. The finish is balanced toward the bitter, and leaves you with a warm feeling on the back of the throat.

Opinion: This is a really assertive beer, and it wears the IIPA label well. There is so much hops in this beer that it distracts you from the hefty alcohol producing malt. It somehow ends up almost balanced...but after the fact your head is spinning, and your palate wondering when it got hit by a truck. Nice beer!

08-20-2005 22:42:35 | More by SkeeterHawk
Ego

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

typical cool lookin Avery bomber bottle, no freshness date, but it does say "brewed in 2005"

eyes...
looking at it under up it is like clouds blocking a sunny sky, not much head but the head that is there lingers quite a bit, lacing is better white wall than my old apartment, amber/brown hue, clear with some occassional bubbles making the sojourn up from the bottom of the glass, good looking

nose...
paging mr hops, mr hops you have a phone call...
steroid hops dipped in chocolate, this smells like a hop candy bar you want to chomp.. think hops nuggat (wtf id nugat is anyway?)
did I say this smells delicious ? if not.. I just did. maybe not the most complex smell but damn I love it.

mouth...
hop bitter and floral..yum. Medium mouthfeel with prickly hops going wild on the pallate, I thought I felt something.. but yeah, that's the ABV.. 9.7? jeesh ! you dont really taste it and there is only some minor warming, there is lace at the top of my glass still after downing half a glass ! this has a great bitter kick with a note to sweet for balance, surely not for everyone but anyone who likes something like say FFF Alpha King should try this, it has as strong a hop profile as the Alpha imo (different hop but you get the idea)... this is tasty and big for hop heads.. I think I see the Taj Mahal in front of me.. ooops, that's just an Atlantic City commercial...

verdict...
call me a slur monster after finishing this monster. utterly drinkable, the hops make me salivate with expectation between sips, but drink to much and Mr Abv slaps you upside the head (Mr ABV dont play that). This is VERY worth getting. not a session beer unless you want to session yourself into a coma...

08-14-2005 04:08:37 | More by Ego
bditty187

Nebraska

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%

Hazy, coppery-bronze in hue with a strong peachy influence; when backlit there is an amber sunshine vibe as well. Overall the fluid looks as expected for a DIPA… and that is always a good thing. Off-white head, thick and sticky bubbles compacted to over two fingers in height. Head retention was awesome. The foamy mass was concrete-like, impressive, most impressive. A tight cap lasted the entire consumption. I love when that happens. The lacing started before I started to sip away the beer. I love when that happens too! Then once the lacing really started it was nearly completely covering the side of the glass. I can’t really say anything bad about the appearance. It is perfect.

Maharaja? Hell, I smell marijuana! Dank bud. The chronic. Don’t act like you don’t know. It is sticky and pungent. Resiny. I detect pine needles and sap. Flowery. Honeysuckle. There are some citrusy hops; they are not very loud which isn’t a bad thing. The nose is very hoppy but it doesn’t blast me in the face and rip it off. I really like the aromas. The malt is very secondary but that is to be expected, I could find a smattering of toasty caramel. It is clearly alcoholic. While the nose is not profound it is articulate, it is a shame the potency wasn’t louder. Inviting nevertheless.

At first I thought the palate needed to be turned up. Where are the hops? For a DIPA, this is sweet and alcoholic. Sure those qualities are expected in such a beer but the hops are not strong enough to balance this beer let alone shine on their own. By no means is the palate not enjoyable, it is tasty but I really would like more bite. Flavorwise the hops do supply some marijuana-like tastes, pungent, earthy-dank, grassy sweet, and some piney notes. There is some citrus in play but it lacks direction. The earthy qualities of the hops shine in this DIPA, if nothing else that is different. Alcohol warmth is strong and is the secondary sensation. It is gut warming. My brain is numbing. Malty sweetness is found around, oh, “Z” in the dictionary. Caramel. Toasty. Random honey. Oranges. Fruity… but I can’t pinpoint anything specifically. That matters not; the palate is very well rounded. This is a good beer; it is not what I was expecting. There is restraint and depth. Based solely on taste and not comparison or want of an atomic “hop bomb” the palate is very tasty. I really like it. This is a great sipping brew. Based on the subtleness of flavors and their depth, I’m left with a very favorable impression of this beer.

Medium/medium full in body, moderately low carbonation but it fits this beer well. The low carbonation is not sluggish or lazy… it is relaxing. I like it, pleasant mouthfeel.

This is a very good and very different view of a DIPA. I am not overwhelmed by any aspect of this beer but I am not underwhelmed either. That impresses me; I mean this beer is from Avery. There is power but there is grace. There is thunder but there is a light mist. It is making me hungry; I want earthy cheese. I want tangy fruit. I want another bomber, maybe because I split my bottle with Tara. Damn that hophead fiend! I thought the range of DIPAs was limited, well, it is still is but this beer does increase my perspective. Oh, if you haven’t gathered this beer is very drinkable. I purchased it in Boulder, CO. Recommended.

08-11-2005 12:55:02 | More by bditty187
ADR

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Good medium copper apearance, a stiff but overall short head of about 1/4 of an inch. Nice laces, spread evenly about the glass. Aroma has a good hop oil scent, a bit on the lemon side, not so pithy or juicy. Good mouthfeel, heavy but with OK carbonation. Flavor is well-balanced and that's a good thing, I say. A brown sugar thickness, some molasses but a big hop counterpoint that does the beer in good standing. There is no way I could mark this beer down, now that I am drinking a bottle by myself (it was fun pouring it with Adam Avery at the last BA fest)...the "Raja" has a balance I don't get in many Double IPAs...maybe its still the memory of Russian River face-to-face with this that makes it good but not world-class in what that style CAN be...

08-07-2005 02:18:46 | More by ADR
Beervis

Ontario (Canada)

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours from the bomber a deep orange with a thick, lacy white head.

Smell is of slightly sweet malt, and extreme amounts of flowery hops.

Taste is very brightly bitter up front, followed by a great balance of malt. Medium bodied and warming, this beer is awesome. The hop bitterness spreads over the tongue, and totally cleans out the tastebuds. The finish is snappy and drying with a lingering spicy alcohol warmth.

I really liked this beer. It's a great DIPA, and it's very balanced compared to many that I've tried.

08-01-2005 18:01:08 | More by Beervis
arizcards

Arizona

4.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a bomber at AJ's for 6.99 back in May.

Poured a nice deep orange with good head retention and nice lacing. Nose is bready and sweet. Taste is more malty than hoppy. Starts off with a sweet blast of malts finishing with a nice subtle hop which is not what I expected. It is more like a supercharged ESB. Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth and very full. Overall drinkability is good. The high ABV is pretty well masked. This is a very well crafted brew!

07-23-2005 00:51:04 | More by arizcards
Maestro

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Awesom brew! I picked up a bomber while visiting Chicago. You see, I didn't feel like paying a lot of money for a guiness at my overpriced hotel, so I walked around the "neighborhood" and found a great store that had this and many other great beers for sale.

This IPA was great in that it was extreme but not overwhelming. I look for that in an/a Imperial/Double IPA. This beer had the textbook pale ale look, but the nose was great--more malty than hoppy. This beer tasted very balanced and the hops didn't kill my tastebuds. The pale malt was plentiful and balanced out the high abv, leaving a smooth feeling in my mouth.

Drinkablity...watch out for this guy is so smooth you may end up with a mess on your hands.

Nice job, Avery!

07-17-2005 02:06:12 | More by Maestro
SupaCelt

2.45/5  rDev -42.1%

Beauteous honey-copper-orange pour. Buoyant pillow head of one finger stature. Superb cap retention that locks the aromas beneath with steadfast resolve. Multidimensional lacings are cast forth, creating a topographical masterpiece of peaks and valleys. Isolated squadrons of carbonation bubbles move en mass into their future. Diffusely gaseous, and quite alright in appearance.

Hop scents emanate from the glass. Resinous. Extract? At any rate, hopped for certain. There is also a malty, thick aroma that disturbs the sappy, pine influences. Slight alcoholic vapors tingle the turbinates. This one smells crusty and too sugared out or something. This crushes the appeal of the hops. It is not all that pleasant to smell.

Toasted caramel throws the first punch. Pine afterburners kick in and dry out the flavourscape for a nice finish that is actually not overly dry. There is perhaps too much malt presence here. More than I had expected. There is just something sickening about the flavour. A dirty, gritty sweetness hangs on like a pit bull. Nearly impeccable body for the style though. I was expecting an overly hoppy and novel taste when in fact, The Maharaja is laying down a huge cloying maltiness in his flavour kingdom. I am going to need my turban rewrapped after this splash. Overall, a bit nauseating.

07-14-2005 14:38:43 | More by SupaCelt
meathookjones

3.88/5  rDev -8.3%

At almost 10% I was worried this one would be a little hot given my experience with some of Avery’s stronger beers. This was a deep orange color body with reddish highlights topped with a light tan small head. Light webbings of lace were left around the glass. Sweet hop juicy citric aroma with plenty of malt to be had. This could use a bit more hops and bitterness. The flavor retains the citric juice hops that were gong on in the nose but with more bitterness to help it along. Nice maltiness here with a light sweetness than the nose. Finishes with a nice hop juiciness and a light bitter bite. Pretty big mouthfeel here but none of the prickly hop feel on your tongue I expect form Double IPAs. Good drinkability as well, the taste is hoppy yet balanced. Good overall effort but a boost in the nose and bitterness would do this one a world of good. Also the alcohol was no where to be found.

07-14-2005 14:08:55 | More by meathookjones
ViveLaChouffe

Georgia

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

On tap at La Cave Du Vin in Cleveland.

Pours orangey copper and hazy with a huge rocky snow white head. Tons of lacing, some thick and some fine works it's way down the glass. Smell is very citrusy, strong bitter hops.

No doubt about it, this beer is a little hot. Alcohol up front that quickly smooths into a sweet tangerine flavor that even more quickly slips into hoppy flavors that become much spicier. Eventually the hops build to an tooth enamel ripping level. They are everywhere and dominate the body of this beer. After the first couple of sips that is about all you taste. Long lingering bitterness, numbing the toungue. Haven't had an experience quite like this since I first tried Ruination. All in all though it's tasty and I would have it again. It's quite unbalanced and that doesn't work well with this beer. Probably the only thing keeping it from being truly great would be a weak (relatively speaking) malt profile.

07-11-2005 02:17:01 | More by ViveLaChouffe
oberon

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice to try another big bad double IPA,pours a slightly hazy deep orange with a tight one finger head that leaves a sheet of lace behind on the way down,well what would you expect from a double IPA aroma wise HOPS and more hops in the aroma pine and definent grapefruit coming thru srong not much malt profile but it wasnt expected.This beer coats the tongue somewhat thick in the mouthfeel dept the alcohol flavor doesnt overpower though by any means,big resiny and citrusy can make the tongue curl.Not quite as good in my opinion as its Colorado cousin Great Divid Hercules double IPA but this is no chump damn fine beer.

07-10-2005 02:35:40 | More by oberon
ejquin

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

App: Amber with a nice white head. Great lacing.

Smell: Citrusy hops, bready yeast with some maly mixed in.

Taste: Very malty and carmely. Some citrus but not as much as you would think from the aroma, and less than most DIPA's. Balanced pretty well with a bitter semi-dry finish.

Mouth: Thick and heavy but smooth. Good carb level,

Drink: Good

Overall: This is a very good brew. I felt it was a bit light in the flavor department for a DIPA or else it would have been great.

07-10-2005 00:47:46 | More by ejquin
phishgator

3.2/5  rDev -24.3%

Too young! Too hoppy! And that's from a hophead. The balance is not there and the malt is too weak. A sticky hop oil mouthfeel leaves too much of an after taste. Not a good offering from Avery; who makes some pretty good products. Not sure of the hop variety, but too much was used!

07-08-2005 19:14:22 | More by phishgator
mntlover

Tennessee

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a clear copper color with a nice foamy cream colored head that falls to clumps of foam surrounded by a ring. That leaves lots of stickey lace stuck to my glass.

Aroma is floral mixed with light fruit pineapple, tangerine and apricot sweet fruity aroma intead of the usual bitter citrus aroma. All this fruit is floating on a nice caramel canvas.

Taste is nice mellow fruit/floral hops that seem soft and sweet blending with the caramel for near perfection. Finish is lingering caramel mixed with some bitter grapefruit mellowed with a dash of sweeter pineapple. This is a strange well balanced I2PA 112 IBU's and the 9.7 % ABV are all well hidden hardley noticed its lots of hops but more mellow without the big bitterness.

Mouthfeel is almost full lots of malt in this baby adding sweetness to the fruity flowery hops.

Drinkability is great a nice sweeter I2PAthat has some bitterness to balance this all out. Diffrent from the other Avery I2PA's but still very nice
and enjoyable glad I bought an extra for myself wishing I had bought a few more.

07-07-2005 21:25:57 | More by mntlover
mentor

Colorado

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

Preview: Overall, I must say, the flavors were subtle on a cream smooth background. Really strange IMO. Never had an IPA or DIPA that was subtle. But I found this to make the beer intriguing. It gave a nice background on which many different flavors could play and interact. So, no flavor was in your face. It was a really complex orchestration that was challenging and enjoyable. Although DIPAs are not a style I see putting in the cellar, I see this beer improving over the course of a couple years.

On to the review...

Should I? To late, I already opened it. Bomber obtained from Superior Liquor (Colorado) in July 2005 and consumed later that evening. Pours a finger and a half light tan head over a nearly clear rust/dark orange liquid. Smells, OMG, hoppy wonder. Grapefruit flesh (not pith bitter, it's the sweet fruit) and fresh sharp pine needles. A search for malt or fruit esters failed, but I did stumble on oranges and pineapple in the hop aroma. Sharp clean hop, I love it.

Taste...I love it. From the thick smooth creamy mouthfeel that starts at the lips to the sweet and fruity malt finish that hangs on my tongue, this beer battered me with an assortment of flavors that rise and fall and blend into each other in a frenzy of...well, you know. It's going to take me the whole bomber to describe this. I apologize in advance if I begin to slur my speech before I'm done.

Very odd, when I put a swallow in my mouth, I get almost no flavor to start. I guess, a gentle toasted grain and apricot. The most noticable feature is the silky smooth (almost oatmeal-like quality) to the mouthfeel. Upon the swallow some hop bitter arises, but much less than I was expecting based on the smell. Hop flavor at the time is oranges and tangerine bolstered by caramel in the malt and pear in the ester. The aftertaste is hop orange, apricot, clean hop pine, mango ester (not often I find *that* in a beer), hop tangerine, strawberry-rhubarb ester, and a gentle sting of alcohol. Oh, alcohol! You warm my belly tonight as you've warmed my life, like a booster supporting his favorite college team.

Thick body and mild carbonation. Silky smooth on the tongue and gentle going down. No CO2 acrid here or stingy bubbles forming on the tongue. Really smooth, thick, and creamy. Lacing on the glass is about as good as it gets. Pull it over me like a blanket...I'm lit and ready for bed.

07-05-2005 07:14:01 | More by mentor
blackie

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

22 oz. bottle. White/off white head. Color is a medium amber. No freshness date indicated.

Immediate smell is of floral hops...grassy, citrusy, piney, in your face hops. Some sweet malt is hiding in there as well. Hints of tropical fruit (mango stands out). Ethanol is only evident if I look for it, inhaling deeply. Smells great.

Carbonation is very low, I wish there was just a little more to better carry those hops to my nose. Body is medium.

Hops are at the front again, but it seems that there is enough malt to balance them out pretty well. The hops are great...piney, fruity, citrusy, and tickling the senses. Finishes with a considerable hop bitterness and some slick malt remaining on the tongue.

A good one to try if you haven't had it, but a bit pricey (I paid $5.99). Could have been hoppier, especially on the tongue. Tasty as hell in any case. Drank this one at around 55 degrees.

07-03-2005 05:00:14 | More by blackie
mgdeth

Montana

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance - Rich amber color, creamy off white head. Low visible carbonation. Good lace, maybe a little bit of haze.

Smell - Solid floral hop aroma dominates the aroma profile. Some alcohol is also present, as are fuity esters.

Taste - A strong bitterness that lingers is the calling card of this beer. This is backed up by a big malt backbone. Fruity esters also abound. In the background there is some alcohol flavor that also lingers on the palate.

Mouthfeel - Thick and somewhat sticky, this is indeed a big beer. The carbonation is just about right - not so fizzy that it masks flavors, but strong enough so that it helps bring them out.

Drinkability - The drinkability improves as the beer warms up. Floral hops + abundance of fruity esters = one appealing beer.

Comments - What a great beer this is! One of Avery's top offerings, in my opinion.

07-02-2005 04:44:16 | More by mgdeth
orbitalr0x

3.43/5  rDev -18.9%

A good amber orange pour forms a bubbly white head on top. Little spots of lacing appear all over the glass. Bright and vibrant...looks pretty good to me. Aromas of sweet, sugary caramel malts, cotton candy and citrusy hops that have a piney twang. The hops seem too subdued in the nose for me and a bit off overall. Still has a nice aroma overall.

First sip brings a sweet, nearly cloying caramel maltiness upfront with a mix of bitter citrusy/piney hop flavors across the palate. The hops seem to be a bit muddled to me and the candy like sweetness gets to me after a few sips. I have to say I was expecting more out of this one. Drop this one and bring back the Eleven!

Mouthfeel is creamy and medium bodied..slightly slick with good carbonation. This one left me longing for something more...I'll have to pass next time and hope they re-use the recipe for Eleven one of these days!

07-02-2005 03:43:13 | More by orbitalr0x
goodbyeohio

Oregon

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

deep red, no head.

100 orbs on the syrupy surface, swampy. virtually no aroma save a deep maltiness.. some corn syrup and orange blossom. sugary, and such is the taste. buttery brown sugar, malts, with an almost insufficient amount of hops for a double. but somehow just enough. perfect for a lover of creamy, malty IPAs like myself. alcohol is nowhere to be found in this beauty.

bitterness wears off fast and gives me a tangy peach aftertaste that lingers with savoury delight. alcohol contributes a mild warmth, thats it. 9.7%?!?! stays just shy of the barleywine profile that it flirts with.

perfectly balanced for an experimental hop devil. solid body and mouthfeel without thickening it up too much. a near-perfect double IPA in my mind.

06-29-2005 00:18:29 | More by goodbyeohio
Bierman9

New Hampshire

4.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed a nice, cool bottle of this last Saturday (25JUN05) as the temp outside hit 100.9F. Ouch!! Pours a deep copper hue, with sporadic carbonation, and it's clear throughout (from what I can tell, with all the condensation on the glass!). Topped by a creamy, light tan head, solid at 1/2", and leaves decent lacing.

Toasty malt and caramel aromas emanate, with a pungent citrus hop overlay. Mmmm... Body is a very solid medium, almost chewy; and it passes silkily and smoothly on the tongue.

Lots of caramel malt, leaving a lovely amount of sweetness. Malt base here is rock solid. Hops are layered upon this abundantly, with spicy characteristics as well as citrus-notes, though not puckery. Maltiness actually lingers longer on the palate, producing a tasty finish. A luscious IPA.

Zum Wohl!

overall: 4.4
appearance: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | mouthfeel: 4.5 | drinkability: 4.5

06-27-2005 16:14:00 | More by Bierman9
Sephiroth

Indiana

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%

This is a familiar guest in my tulip. It pours deep orange with a thick, off-white head. Sticky lacing clings to the side of my glass. The smell is of sweet, piney, resinous hops. Ahh.

My first sip is normal. Normal, for the Maharaja, that is. The sweet hops battle with the malt at first, eventually sweeping it aside completely. The hops contribute grapefruity, piney flavors that are coating of one's mouth, yet the sweetness is not cloying. This beer has fantastic head retention for the ABV. Mouthfeel is right on for the style. I have yet to find a IIPA that isn't just a little bit syrupy. The moderate to low carbonation found in this brew give it a creamy mouthfeel that begs for sipping which borders on gulping. As with most other IIPAs, I find this beer to be extremely drinkable. I am almost finished with the bomber and have yet to get the usual hop hiccups, knock on wood.

06-25-2005 08:24:19 | More by Sephiroth
DocBrown

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

this beer is a fine double ipa.

pours the color of, well, the color of most doubles, but a nice hue of it. the head is thick and creamy, and the lacing on the glass is quite nice.

the nose is pretty low-key in terms of a double ipa. no huge hoppy or alcohol smells overtaking anything. in fact, if anything the nose is sweet, and although permeating, doesn't jump from the glass.

the taste and mouthfeel are excellent. from start to finish on the pallate this one is great. starts sweet-sih and ends hoppy, but in good onder and appropriate balance.

i love the doubles, and this is a good one. a session beer? i mean, it's an i2pa...so session has to be relative. can a drink more than a glass or two? definitely.

06-25-2005 00:30:53 | More by DocBrown