Karma - Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-08-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Karma Alström Bros
2.76/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Was drawn in by the Avery label and the tagline "Good Beer Happens To Good People". If that's true, I've been fairly mediocre lately, as my Beer Karma can attest. Poured a coppery amber, topped with two inches of mountainous foam, which subsided to a thin lacy head, which left a bit of nice looking lace on the glass. Smelled and tasted metallic -- a real turn off. A bit of banana in the nose, some biscuit/bread in the mouth, but a really subpar effort for what has become one of my favority brewing companies.

2.73/5  rDev -19.7%

12 oz. bottle, with some sort of coded bottled on date present. My third beer from Avery Brewing Co., out of Colorado.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A - It pours a hazed copper colored body with less than a finger of off-white head. Looks okay.

S - The smell is of yeast esters - cream, banana, clove spicing, some melon rind. Not a bad aroma, but it's just not doing it for me.

T - Things really take a turn for the worse upon sipping. Sharp and astringent. Indistinct berries, melon fruitiness, banana, cidery apple sort of presence, yeasty clove spice, some cola / Dr. Pepper / artificial cherry sort of taste, and some coppery metallics thrown in there. Maybe some mild alcohol noticeable. A mish mash of flavors I'm not particularly fond of.

M - The feel is quick, crisp, & clean for the most part. Lightly sticky / grapey / dry on the finish. Lots of tannins.

Overall, I am not usually one to put down a craft beer, no matter how much I dislike it, but this has got to be one of the poorest Belgian style offerings from any brewery that I have tasted in recent memory. I love the name of the beer, but not the beer. Avoid.

Avery Brewing Karma ---2.5/5

2.72/5  rDev -20%

Poured into a wine glass, although not necessarily oversized.
I wonder if this is old. Kind of a stinky aroma with and emphasis on malt. Leaning towards sour milk. There seems to be a green hoppy quality.
Nice white firm head. Rather cloudy gold/reddish amber with lots a' bubble action.
Mild flavor overall. A bit sour. Slight dryness with a bit of tartness. Flavor is mostly fleeting, escaping and uninspiring.
Feel is nice. Full and soft carbonation. Smooth in finishing.
I'm still wondering if this is old, so I'll score it as is, but also give it another go sometime in the future, in order to give it a fair shot. It's not holding what I would think would be traditional oxidized flavors (cardboard staleness). Dating on the bottle would be helpful.

2.7/5  rDev -20.6%

Old Chicago in Boulder had this in cask, hand pump. I had to try it.
A smooth looking, hazy orange/tan color to it. Creamy head that moved to a soapy head, then went away.
Smells of apricot and orange. Settled to a wet malt and apricot aroma.
Taste is very very weak. Where did the apricot go? This is like gassed water. Nothing there. I'd expect this from a nitro tap, but not cask. The yeast is gone, hops gone, malt gone, what the hell?
If I think about it I can detect the apricot...barely. Not good.

2.7/5  rDev -20.6%

This was my first Belgian Pale, so my review might be a little off. It was a little darker than I was expecting. A nice kick from the hops were immediately noticeable, but then this sort of weird vibe I couldn't really identify...malts where I wasn't expecting any. It just didn't have the balance that I was looking for.

2.68/5  rDev -21.2%

Served from a 12oz bottle

A- Golden/Copper minimal white head that reduced to a skim

A- Not much really, little malt, little hop, not much...

T- Tastes like macrobrewery work. Nothing to impress and nothing to offend.

M- Not great, it just felt weak

D- Might be a good transition into good beer for the Bud Light drinker. Could drink a bunch of these seeing as though they tend to be a non offensive alcohol delivery device.

I had higher expectations from Avery. They make some incredible beers, pretty much anything in a bomber is top tier. This however was kind of weak.

2.64/5  rDev -22.4%

Appearance - pleasant darker orange color. Not much head after a decant-type pour. A few bubbles up top and a white collar. A few speckles of lace.

Aroma - had a sweet fruitiness coming out of the bottle but everything here has just about shut down after a minute or so. A faint sweet breath of grain and yeast, its very hard to get particulars on though.

Taste - hm. Watery grain, light or low malt levels. A bite of hops but it too comes across diluted. Almost a soda water taste here. Nothing new on the swallow, the fiinish is as boring as everything else. Maybe this beer's a victim of too many big-beered counterparts. I get a light flavorful touch of yeast now and then. This is a like a Belgian Light.

Mouthfeel - thin, gassy, neither helps nor hurts.

Drinkability - nothing wrong with it, but I'm just used to more flavor, especially from Avery.

2.64/5  rDev -22.4%

12 ounce bottle. This beer pours out copper colored with a huge head. The aroma is lightly hoppy. This beer does not really smell like a Belgian. The flavor starts out with a grainy maltiness. There is just a little caramel and fruit flavor. The finish is weak. Light to medium mouthfeel. None of the flavors are appealing enough to make this beer very drinkable. This beer lacks focus and was a disappointment.

2.64/5  rDev -22.4%

On tap at the nearby Old Chicago.

Somewhere between copper and amber with good clarity. They accidentally put someone elses lemons in this, so I had another. To be fair.

There's no yeast character that's recognizably Belgian. There's no big malt flavors like De Konick. That was a bit of a letdown.

What you're left with is a perfectly inoffensive beer with not much to recommend. Neither hoppy, nor malty, nor fruity.

2.63/5  rDev -22.6%

12oz brown bottle (no freshness date), releases a dirty peach with some bright copper hues. Pours a 3 finger head that's white, foamy, and sticks all over the glass and leaves its trail as you drink it down. Good retention. Watch out for the dark dregs in the bottle.

Soft floral plum in the nose, with suggestions of honey, white pepper spiciness and bell peppers.

Light-ish body, crisp, with an even feel about it. Nutty, yeasty, wheat-like tannins, with a toasty caramel flavor, but then it's gone. Some sour / tartness melds with a moderate watery rind bitterness with hop leaf notes. This part is actually quite quenching and more-ish at the same time. Dry tannic finish is slightly overwhelming, and a bit of a mood killer.

Too many tannins for me, and not enough sweetness / malt profile to balance things out. If this is Karma, when do I get the balance?

2.61/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I was very dissappointed with this effort from Avery, probably my least favorite brew to date from a brewery I love and respect. The head poured thick and cream tan, lots of small bubbles, but the aroma was very flat--a very light fruit if I swirled and dug in deep, but nothing like the yeasty, fruity easters normally in a Belgain ale. The taste is dominated by the yeast, but not malt to back it up. And there was an astringint taste underneath that just puckered my mouth a bit. Not much hop, which is fine, but there's no balance in what's left. Thought maybe the bottle was old, but didn't really taste oxidized--seemed like the beer as intended. Oh well.

2.58/5  rDev -24.1%

12 oz. bottle in a Chimay glass

Pours a pale orange with a slight haze. Smallish head with fairly short retention. No lacing of any significance.

Smell is sweet, surprisingly sweet acutally. Holiday cookie spices and alcohol make an appearance.

Taste is sweet fruit, pepper and yeasty, oddly lacking the cookie spices that I noticed in the nose. The back end is somewhat sour, which suits this beer well.

Mouthfeel is off. The carbonation is too thin and the flavors are only loosely tied together.

This beer is certainly drinkable, but I wouldn't seek it out or choose it over other Belgian Pales.

2.58/5  rDev -24.1%

Poured 45 degrees into a tulip glass.

Pours a lucid copper-amber with a third of a finger of eggshell colored head.

Smells of a musty orange peel and a slight wet stone. Clean in smell texture, just really not anything closed to layered or complex.

Taste confirms smell, one dimensional, slightly sour orange with a weak malty structure. Not unpleasant, but certainly not interesting and rather far frowhat I would call delicious at this price point and from this brewery.

Mouthfeel is watery. It is lacking in carbonation and really sort of devoid of texture. Almost as if it's gone flat right out of the bottle.

Overall, drinkable and relatively flavorful, just boring carbonation is non-existent, mouthfeel is thin and taste is rather one dimensional. I don't really see the Belgian style coming out here either. I can't see myself buying this again.

2.57/5  rDev -24.4%

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a glass tumbler at cellar temperature.

Very nice appearance, golden and crystal clear with a nice fluffy head leaving no lacing.

Fruity citrus and grainy aroma. Taste is flat, stale with a little bit fruitiness and biscuity grainy flavor and a slightly spicy finish.

Mouthfeel is sour, with a bit of carbonic bite.

Drinkability is really poor. Surprising that this category can some of my favorite beers and also some of the worst example. Take a pass.

2.56/5  rDev -24.7%

pours light copper, mildly hazed. head is sizable and laces the glass a bit.
Right away the nose strikes me as off. I start naming spices, then decide if I can name them they are too strong. I like strong flavors but they've gotta meld with the beer and here...they don't.
The level of bitterness is confusing to my palate, which mixes up the peppery spiciness in the same flavor and doesn't approve. Only mild fruity or other belgian yeast esters, not getting a lot of malt either. Too much of a good thing on the spice front, and I'm not really understanding the bitterness and what I think is hop flavor.
carbonation is a bit low actually, body is decent at medium and pretty clean. Not sure I'll have this one again.

2.52/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 2 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Pours a reddish copper with absolutely no head. No lacing. Smells of plum and a touch of yeast. Tastes of red plum and that's about it. Thin mouth with a bit of carbonation. This tastes like plum-flavored water. Disappointing offering from a good brewery.

2.51/5  rDev -26.2%

On tap at Jake' Bistro and bar in Steilacoom, WA. Served in a pint glass.

A pale copper color and clear. A one-finger foamy head caps the beer and is moderately resilient, sticking to the sides of the glass.

Smell is a sweet bourbon-like aroma. Fairly strong.

Taste is also bourbon-like. A bitter-sweet fruit cider flavor.

Mouthfeel is fullbodied and cloying for the style.

Not real drinkable beer. Flavors are overpowering, and the whiskey flavor is not my pint of ale. I'll probably pass this one up again.

2.5/5  rDev -26.5%

Poured this beer from the bottle to tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was a cloudy looking ale maybe from cold. Low weak head with no lacing to speak of. Taste was hoppy with a bitter finish that was just blaa to me. There was nothing that really set this beer off. Just a blaa beer I thought. I will not buy again.

2.45/5  rDev -27.9%

A - Relatively clear orange hue, not much of an off-white head.

S - Smells of Belgian citrus fruit cocktail ... not the hoppy citrus smell.

T - Hints of sweet-tart orange, but mostly thin malts and a bit of sugar-yeast aftertaste.

M - Feels thin and watery. There could have been a bit more carbonation to liven it up on the tongue.

D - To enjoy this, you have to like a beer that only hints at flavors without bringing them to fulfillment. Light-beer drinkers looking for adventure might enjoy this one.

2.43/5  rDev -28.5%

Pours a honey gold color, slight chill haze beneath an inch high cap of frothy white foam. Average retention and a small ring of lacing appears as the cap subsides.

Light aroma, caramel malts and a light grainy note, some light grape or artificial watermelon come out, odd maybe closer to an esb or amber than a Belgian pale, nose is devoid of yeast character.

Malts are much lighter than in the nose, raw grain and only slightly bready. Noble hop character kicks in only slightly bittering but also quite herbal. Fruity esters prevalent in the finish, tart apple skin, vinous and phenolic, lingering aftertaste is that of grape soda.

Thinner than average body with average carbonation. Soapy mouth coating usually only reserved for lagers and this is no lager.

Ouch, if Karma is real what did I do to deserve this upon my palate. In all seriousness this lacks the quality of a well layered Belgian pale, malts and hops are chosen well but the spice profile and yeast additions seem to break it apart. Will avoid in the future.

2.42/5  rDev -28.8%

A. Pours an amber colored body with a thin white head that has minimal retention and lacing to it. There is some carbonation to it, but not a lot.
S. Get some caramel, hops, nuts and plums.
T. The first thing I taste is some plums, followed by some caramel with some hops in the back along with a hint of pepper. It finishes off with a mix of yeast, and some fruits. The taste seems to be off for being called "Karma".
M. A light bodied beer that feels syrupy and watered down to much.
O. A very disappointing beer from a very good brewery. After tasting a few other beers from Avery I was expecting a lot more from them. I know I'll never buy this beer again, almost but not quite a drain pour.

2.41/5  rDev -29.1%

Clear amber in color. Aromatics of yeast and its attributes, malt (toast, biscuit, fruit) along with a touch of herbaceous and floral hops. The combination inevitably leads to an antibiotically and medicinally rich nose, which I find very unpleasant. The aromatics pretty much continue on upon tasting. Boring and dull, definately not as yeasty as I was hoping for. Light in body. Watery texture. I don’t care if they used Rochefort yeast or not. I go by what is in the glass and this is much more a British Bitter than a Belgian Ale. "Fruity and Estery?" C’mon, lets get serious here.

2.4/5  rDev -29.4%

12 ounce bottle decanted into a curved pint glass.
Appearance: Deeply oiled copper, ever so slight haze, absolutely no head (2/5).
Aroma: Smells oxidized. I wish there was an “enjoy by” date on the bottle. Very slight suggestion of cider, but it comes and goes. The esters have apparently decided to stay in the glass (2/5).
Taste: Very sweet and cidery. There’s a hint of dark bread. Raspberries and figs. Unfortunately the oxidation I picked up in the nose dominates the flavor (2.5/5)
Mouthfeel: Medium body, medium carbonation (3/5).
Overall: Man, I don’t know. I suppose there was a good beer in this bottle at one time, but not today. I sure wish I had some way of knowing which bottle I should grab in the store. It’s not awful, but definitely a disappointment. Maybe I picked up some bad karma (zing!). I’d probably give it another chance, but not unless I was sure it was fresh.

2.38/5  rDev -30%

Served in Tunic

Eye:3/8" White Head with good head retention. Clear amber in color. Light Lacing

Nose:Aroma of stale nuts. Cranberries.

Mouthfeel: Heavy in the front and clean off the back of the tongue

Taste: Estersy, banana. Enough bitterness to balance. Malt is forward. Caramel hints.

Overall: Would be good to have one or two but the ester character is too much for many more than that....

2.33/5  rDev -31.5%

Poured from a bottle obtained at Lone Hill Liquors in Glendora. Inhaled aroma after pour to find a very, very faint fruitiness/maltiness; not much like a normal Belgium. The taste was the same. Maybe some apple, apricot, something but almost not enough to even be worth figuring out. I get light malts and finishes slightly bitter. Malty bitter really. Very boring beer. I won't get it again.

Karma from Avery Brewing Company