1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Karma - Avery Brewing Company

KarmaKarma

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-08-2005)
Ratings: 782 | Reviews: 465 | Show All Ratings:
Oakenator

3.69/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a brown to amber - on the darker side. Some head at pour. Ringed lacing.

S: Malts. Subtle hopping. Beer.

T: Mild hop flavor, mild malting, maybe some candi sugar on the finish.

M: Light on ABV, but heavier than expected.

O: Okay but doesn't excell at much.

06-09-2013 01:45:46 | More by Oakenator
spoony

3.09/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

From a 355 ml bottle into a globe glass.

A-A normal pour produces no head. I see only a few small bubbles in the clear, tawny/amber brew. No lacing, no legs.

S-The smell reminds me most of cheap apple juice with faint sweet alcohol and bread crust. There is just a bit of light pepper spice, too. Mild and uninspiring; certainly none of the sharpness or funkiness that makes a good BPA.

T-The taste is also mild with light fruits like apple and cherry being the dominant flavor components. There is a smidgen of hoppy spice up front followed by the aforementioned fruits.

M-The feel is medium body and lacking in excitement. Sort-of wet and watery feeling.

O-I like Avery and I like BPAs. Unfortunately, this beer did not satisfy either category. From the lackluster flat looks to the lackluster flat feel and everything in between, this beer just did not do anything for me and I found nothing Belgian about it.

06-08-2013 04:03:53 | More by spoony
UCLABrewN84

3.3/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottled 4/20/13.

Pours a clear reddish-orange with a foamy khaki head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Foamy swaths of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is fairly faint with malt, grain, and fruity aromas. Taste is much the same with malt and fruit flavors on the finish. There is a very mild amount of spice bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is an above average beer that is drinkable but has subdued aromas and flavors.

05-27-2013 07:23:41 | More by UCLABrewN84
nukem5

3.4/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Slightly cloudy, orange hued with off white cap of foam.

S: Aroma is of earthy hops and light malts.

T: Slighly alkalin taste in the back end. Eathy hops, nice malt front.

M: Mouthfeel is a bit thin and watery but nice carbonation level and nice lacing on glass.

O: Overall a decent beer nothing kind of jumps out but a better than average taste and such.

03-24-2013 20:50:17 | More by nukem5
SerialHiker

3.29/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Appearance: Pours a nice, light autumn golden orange with a touch of amber…medium transparency, I can see some bubble bubbling up in the middle…some off white head did form, but only a thin layer remains…not as lively as I would have imagined for it’s style…(3.5/5)

Smell: Yeast up front bringing green, un-ripen fruit and some bubblegum aromas…pale/mildly sweet/mildly caramel malts…there’s barley and some earthiness in there as well…it’s easy to tell this is “Belgian” influenced, tons of yeast…it’s mild, it’s light and shows a touch of light citrus hops…very malt and yeast driven it seems…(3.75/5)

Taste: It’s easy to start with the yeast here…it brings a green apple, musty funk, earthiness right off the bat…light sweet/pale malts with a touch of caramel and some malted barley come through after the initial yeast flavors…the whole taste has a green, light, funky, yeasty…it’s good, but not great…(3.25/5)

Mouthfeel: Light body with light to medium carbonation…a bit watery…it’s light, mildly refreshing and leaves a light earthy/citrus bitterness on the palate in the after taste…not the best part of this brew…(3/5)

Overall: I’ve had farmhouse ales before and have liked them, but lately I’ve run into a few that I just can’t get behind…the flavor here is a little too yeast funky for me, drowning out the malts that characterize the pale ale…it’s light, it’s drinkable and it’s not bad, but it’s also not a standout brew and one I could leave alone in the future…I’ve had a few Avery brews before and have liked them, so if this is your style, I’d say give it a whirl…but for me, one is enough…(3/5)

02-11-2013 02:50:20 | More by SerialHiker
BuckeyeSlim

3.43/5  rDev +0.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a NB snifter.

A - Pours a light golden color, with a one-finger head of loose eggshell-white foam that almost immediately disappears, leaving a ring around the edge and a small island in the middle. Held to a full-spectrum light, the beer is a golden orange, slightly opaque, and has a pronounced pillar of bubbles rising from the center of the bottom of the glass.

S - Freshly toasted malts, caramel sugars, and light floral hops. Notes of toffee with hints of vanilla and orange peel. As it warms, I can begin to pull more fruits such as raisins and ripe pears out of the nose. The alcohol also peeks through.

T - Lightly toasted malts and soft caramel quickly give way to earthy but subtle bittering hops, and both are on the subdued side. Reminds me of a lighter-styled Marzen that's been hopped to match the sugars, and then had the entire taste profile muffled. There's also just a touch of booziness more in line with a 7%+ brew.

M - Moderately fizzy. Pronounced carbonation. Moderately thin structure. Light body. Short, soft finish that's cleaner and drier than its taste suggests.

O - I remember finding this beer tasty and refreshing when I first tasted it in the summer on draft. Now that it's December, it seems rather thin, but when the days are long and warm, it's a good way to enjoy a nice malt-sugar/hop balanced profile without getting weighed down. This will be something I look for heading into Oktoberfest season. When I went to post, I discovered this beer is classified as a Belgium Pale Ale. With that as the target, I would like to see more nuance in the malt/sugar profile and a bit more finish to remind me of the tastes that just passed over my tongue.

12-06-2012 07:29:36 | More by BuckeyeSlim
CFHMagnet

3.1/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A normal pour yields just under a finger of head that leaves almost as quick as it came. Body is a nice light copper color.

Light hints of candy sugar and dark fruit get me sniffing deeper into caramelized malt and a bit of yeast. Hops noted are fresh and gardeny.

Tricky beer to nail down. It's very light up front, with just some sweet hops and a hint of sugar then many light flavors dance over the tongue, including yeast, candy sugar, figs or raisins and fresh garden picked hops.

Carbonation bites the tongue. This beer is medium bodied, and doesn't have any stickiness nor does it coat the tongue at all. Washes down clean and crisp.

Edited: While I can't say the beer tastes BAD, I can say its not up to style. Reduced taste score to 2.5

11-24-2012 01:46:52 | More by CFHMagnet
mactrail

3.33/5  rDev -2.3%

My first question after gazing at the label and slurping was, "what style is this supposed to be?" I am still surprised at the answer.

Looks nice enough, with a sudsy cap and decent lacing. Nondescript amberish color. Quite spritzy on the tongue, which would make this a good lawnmower beer. Very light malt and not much body. I fail to detect any Belgian yeasty flavors, though it does dry out slightly and there is a hint of yeasiness in the nose. Are there any hops here?

For the category, it gets a sad shake of the head. As a drinkable sudsy brew, and who cares what they drink in Belgium, it's a winner. I suppose you could say it's a lighter version of Great Divide's Colette. From the 12 oz bottle bought at Pinkie's in San Angelo.

11-15-2012 04:27:27 | More by mactrail
jlindros

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a light fizzy head of about 1/2 a finger that fades semi slowly actually, with a bit of lacing, over very clear tan orange honey colored beer.

Nose has some Belgiany aromas, light fruity esters but very little, then a bit of honey cake, little nutty and some earthy fig spices, hint of citrus and floral hops, a mild grassy almost wheat like malt base.

Taste starts fruity, plenty of fruity flavors from the Belgian yeast, light spices as well, and a hint of bitterness from that. Then light hops, citrus and grassy hops, light bitterness, and a bit of a fruity hop. Light almost saison like malts, little hay and some wheat, light straw as well, and fairly dry. Fluffy, floral, and a bit effervescent. it also seems to have a bit of a booze kick which is strange for only 5%, and some of the associated phenol flavors. Finish is dry and a bit tingly like booze with esters, little fruity and floral spices, hint of citrus, and a bit sticky finish.

Mouth is med to lighter bodied, feels strangely boozy, and lighter carb.

Overall OK but not great, some decent Belgian yeast additions but seems strangely boozy, hops are barely there and not great, and malts can't decide to be Belgian like or saison or wheat. It's OK overall, but I probably wouldn't get it again.

11-07-2012 00:33:21 | More by jlindros
superspak

3.48/5  rDev +2.1%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled 7/7/2011. Pours lightly cloudy orange amber color with a nice 2 finger fairly dense off white head with nice retention, that reduces to a good cap that lingers. Spotty foamy lacing clings to the glass. Aromas of big grape, pear, apple, bread, herbal, and earth. Pretty nice aromas with decent balance and complexity. Taste of grape, pear, apple, toast, biscuit, herbal, earth, pepper, and light yeast spices. Lingering notes of light fruits, biscuit, earth, and herbal on the finish for a good bit. Pretty good flavor complexity and balance; no cloying sweetness at all. Medium carbonation and body; with a fairly crisp and lightly slick mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with only a slight warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a pretty good Belgian pale ale. Fair amount of complexity and balance; very smooth to drink. Enjoyable stuff.

10-03-2012 03:36:11 | More by superspak
flagmantho

Washington

3.3/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: medium orange hue with a moderate haze and a pretty good effervescence. Head pours a thin finger of frothy ivory foam without much retention or lacing. Decent.

Smell: malt aroma which is sweet but quite biscuity. The yeasty character has a bit of a band-aid aroma which, while it sometimes can be nice, doesn't really work here. Not my favorite.

Taste: sweet, fruity malt which is not quite as against my palate as the aroma would predict. Bitterness appears right at the end to help save this beer. It's still not one of my favorites, but I can see where this beer might go.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with an OK carbonation and a decent texture. It's a bit more fizzy than creamy, but it's not too bad.

Overall: a decent enough beer, I probably would not have this again.

09-18-2012 22:12:20 | More by flagmantho
StoneTSR

3.2/5  rDev -6.2%

APPEARANCE: The color is very nice, a deep, dark orange. Minimal lacing disappears quickly and not much lacing develops.

SMELL: Very citrusy with a solid dose of grassiness as well. Some light breadiness and a little sweet malt is also noticeable.

TASTE: The taste and aroma do not match up much at all with the exception of some lemon and grapefruit in the taste. Tart, green apple is the more dominant flavor here along with a little spice and sour to finish it off.

MOUTHFEEL: Light in body with a mild pucker that shows up towards the end of the sip. Early on, it is crisp, clean and quite sparkly. Also, the pucker subsides as the beer warms.

OVERALL: This is a good, but not great beer. It is a much more conservative effort than I'm used to from Avery, but for some that may be a good thing.

08-25-2012 17:35:27 | More by StoneTSR
RblWthACoz

3.4/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

With the increasing prowess of American brewers, we're getting more and more examples of well done belgian ales. That aside, it's still nice to be able to get one that isn't a complete disaster. This one isn't really bringing great flavor character, and it's kind of soapy, but it's still an easy drinker and not too bad.

08-20-2012 02:20:26 | More by RblWthACoz
womencantsail

3.48/5  rDev +2.1%

The pour is amber in color with a thin off-white head. Spices are the first thing I notice on the aroma. Coriander, clove, and nutmeg are there. A bit of apple and pear, but sort of watery. Some sweet malt and sugar in the background. Mostly spices on the palate, but noticeably watery. A little bit of malt sweetness, some hints of citrus peel, and that’s about it. What’s there is enjoyable, but it’s too watered down.

08-07-2012 04:57:45 | More by womencantsail
StoutHunter

2.9/5  rDev -15%

I picked up a bottle of Avery's Karma a few days ago for $1.79 at The Lager Mill. I liked all the beers that I have had from Avery so far, so when I saw one that I hadn't tried yet I thought I should give it a shot, plus I like Belgian Pale Ales, so lets see how it goes. 2012 Vintage, Limited Release. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a tulip.

A- I like the label on this beer, it's nicely done and it sticks out a little. It poured a slightly orange amber color that took on a darker amber and orange color when held to the light. It had two and half fingers worth of head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a little bit of lacing. This beer looks ok, but it's pretty true to style.

S- The aroma starts off fairly sweet with some nice malts that impart some light grainy, caramel and brown bread aromas. Next comes some candied sugar along with a pretty fruity aroma with some apples, plums, and pears. After that I get a slight spice aroma from the yeast followed by a light orange peel aroma. I like the aroma, but it just isn't as balanced as some of the best in the style.

T- The taste isn't all that similar to the aroma, it starts off with some some medium sweet malts that only impart a mild grainy, biscuity, and bread crust flavors. In the middle I get a real light orange rind flavor followed by a really light amount of spicy yeast. Towards the end I get a noticeable amount of hops that are mainly earthy and give this beer a lighter amount of medium bitterness with a grainy and biscuit like aftertaste. I was disappointed with the taste of this beer, is was a real let down compared to the aroma and was much more like an average American Pale Ale than a Belgian Pale Ale.

M- Smooth, very crisp, slightly prickly, on the medium side of being light bodied, and it had a higher amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't bad, but it was a little over carbonated which made it feel a little prickly.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer and I thought that It wasn't a good example of the style and an average beer at best, it was going in the right direction till it got to the taste which was more similar to an APA, not a BPA. This beer had ok drinkability, it went down pretty smooth, but it was over carbonated and the taste really didn't hold my interest, one is enough for me. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance and the aroma, they were equally good and were pretty true to style. What I liked least about this beer was the taste and the carbonation, the taste wasn't true to style and the carbonation was a little out of hand. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it doesn't deliver as advertised, and I can't say I would recommend it. This was my first beer from Avery that I didn't care for, this brewery is pretty solid, but this beer turned out to be a rare miss for me from them, I just don't think this beer did the style justice, I am still down to try more of their beers, but so far this is my least favorite beer from them and one of my least favorite Belgian Pale Ales, better luck next time guys.

08-01-2012 03:53:29 | More by StoutHunter
TownDunkel

3.4/5  rDev -0.3%

Ill start out by saying I'm not a huge fan of pale ales, but I am a fan of Avery so I gave it a shot

Appearance - this is what a pale ale should look like in my book, a light pale golden to normal brown

Smell - Not much on scent here, mainly the usual pale ale smell of hops and alcohol

Taste - I was suprised by how good this pale ale is. It starts off with a mellow medium hop flavor that goes almost to an almondy or basic nutty flavor.

Mouthfeel - I do like a good amount of carbonation with pale ales, but this one was just a bit flat for my liking.

Overall - This is definately not a bad pale ale, not the best pale ale in the world though. It would be a normal drinker if I enjoyed this type more.

07-11-2012 23:40:34 | More by TownDunkel
Mcculler

1.7/5  rDev -50.1%

Pours a reddish brown with very little head and almost no lacing. Malt and grain on the nose, reinforced on the palate with apple cider, iodine and band-aid. Watery mouthfeel with solid carbonation. Not much here except flaws, to my mind. Happily, other brewers are doing this style very well.

07-09-2012 00:45:52 | More by Mcculler
kojevergas

3.15/5  rDev -7.6%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a nonical pint glass in me gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average given the brewery and style. 5.4% (my bottle is 2012 if that matters). No best before date can be found.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm somewhat over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

The pour went fine, with the pressure cap coming off without issue or overcarbonation surging.

A: Pours a two finger head of beige colour, nice cream, nice thickness, and above average retention. Colour is a semitransparent dull copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show - though I've never seen a beer in the style that featured one. Okay lacing as the head recedes.

Sm: Belgian malts, candied sugar, yeast, light clove and orange peel, cream, Quite sugary. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Clean Belgian malts with some candi sugar and light clove. Some light underlying cream. Sugary. Simple but enjoyable. Pleasant to drink. Without much subtlety or complexity to its detriment. An interesting Belgian Pale. Nicely balanced and built for what it is. No yeast or alcohol come through. Full-bodied enough to suit the style. None of the flavours are overbearing, but none are bold or experimental either.

Mf: Smooth and wet, aiding its drinkability but not highlighting the flavours. Crystal malts could be used to good effect to add coarseness and would vastly improve the mouthfeel. Adequately carbonated. Light on the palate. Could use a bit more cream.

Dr: Quite drinkable but held back by its simplicity. It's a nicely brewed beer in its style but offers nothing unique or special for true fans. I recommend trying it, but there's nothing here to write home about. A solid offering from Avery, and one that I'd try on draught. Hides its average ABV well, though that's not particularly difficult.

C+

06-10-2012 02:56:26 | More by kojevergas
JWU

2.9/5  rDev -15%

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter

A- a translucent amber/ruby/orange color, with a fizzy white head that dissipated very quickly.

S- Very fruity. Plums and apple juice mostly. Some white pepper is there as well.

T- Dissapointing. A little mild malt, with the plum and apple flavors from the yeast. There's just little here to get excited about.

M- a light to medium body with a very active carbonation.

O- certainly the worst I've had from Avery.

06-09-2012 00:33:41 | More by JWU
denver10

3.48/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a nice golden with a thumbs width white head that quickly recedes and fair lacing. A yeasty aroma with some sweet cantaloupe and pepper. Flavor follows suit. Very light and bright flavor. Medium bodied, not too much activity. Overall, a very drinkable brew. It attains some interesting flavors but a little watered down and inconsistent from one try to the next (I have had this a bunch of times). At its best times its good, at its worst times is just average.

06-06-2012 00:13:44 | More by denver10
MAUEX_MFA

Rhode Island

3.1/5  rDev -9.1%

Not much on the nose, very faint aroma of Belgian yeast and malt.

Pours golden, with a thin head.

Tastes light and clean. Refreshing but very little flavor. This is like a strong American light lager brewed with Belgian yeast, OR a very watered down Belgian ale.

This would be a pleasing session beer to drink whilst angling or watching a professional sports contest.

05-22-2012 02:46:55 | More by MAUEX_MFA
WastingFreetime

Wisconsin

2.15/5  rDev -37%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed from tasting notes.

A. Light yet clear amber color with a flash-in-the-pan head that falls apart to nothing without any lacing despite a rather vigorous pour.

S. Very focused on floral hopping over the top of a biscuit malt. Smells like a brown ale with good hopping, not like a BSPA.

T. Unusually light flavor of toasted bread and that's about it. Tastes more like a thin brown ale without any hopping at all, which is curious considering the nose, however it is still not at all like a BSPA.

M. Light and spritzey, quite sessionable. The best thing about this beer is the soft texture it has on the palate.

05-19-2012 04:16:16 | More by WastingFreetime
soulfly1492

4.1/5  rDev +20.2%

Aroma: Lots of fruity esters, apricot and peaches. Some peppery yeast. Mild clove. Some clean Munich malt, lots of sugars. Some barley and wheat. Little to no hop character. Very bold, nearly as strong as a mild barleywine.

Appearance: Very light copper. Lots of haze. Head is off-white with orange highlights, medium height. Mild retention and little lacing.

Flavor: Wow, lots of peach and orange citrus. Lightly astringent tannins. Black pepper phenols and yeast. Lightly bitter Munich malt. Mild clove, not as much as I picked up in the aroma. Very little to no hop flavor, what's there is floral (the website says they used American Sterling hops). Grainy, lightly toasty.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Slick and oily. Finishes just barely dry. Low carbonation that you feel at the back of your throat on the way down. Mildly warming.

Overall: Beautiful savory fruit flavors here. Very full flavor, yet easily drinkable. No bold and/or bitter aftertaste. I will be getting this again.

Notes: Consumed on 5/7/2012.

05-08-2012 02:30:44 | More by soulfly1492
troysoy2

2.8/5  rDev -17.9%

Poured into a tulip, I got a good two fingers of loosely packed white head, which quickly receded to become a thin smattering of bubbles. Amber body. Not a whole lot going on as far as lacing.

"What on earth?" This beer smells like straight molasses, and maybe if you use your imagination, pecan pie. The grassy hop aroma is barely there, but it floats around, and doesn't quite seem to fit.

Much like the smell, but with a hint of cherry and plum. Very thin in both flavor and mouthfeel. Easy drinking, but never satisfying. There's a slight tartness on the finish. Almost nonexistent carbonation.

Not what I was expecting at all. I'm glad I tried it -- it's decently tasty, but nothing I'll be coming back to. Avery can, and has done better.

04-19-2012 19:14:52 | More by troysoy2
facundoCNB

3.43/5  rDev +0.6%

a deep amber pour with a nice initial amount of head which quickly diminished into a light ring of bubbles around the glass. smells of caramel, nuts, dates. the taste, much like the smell, is very faint.. light notes of honey, dates, a bit of an oak flavor.. not much there honestly. light/medium bodied with lots of fizzy carbonation.

i'm a bit disappointed with this beer.. it looked like it was going to be great but really ended up lacking in most aspects. as far as belgian pale ales go, it's not bad, but there are many that are tastier. as far as beers by avery, this is the only bland beer that i can remember having from them. maybe i got a bad bottle or something, i'd be willing to try it again.. it wasn't terrible, it just didn't have much taste to it.

04-12-2012 19:17:59 | More by facundoCNB