Avery Anniversary Ale - Twelve (Saison Ale) - Avery Brewing Company

Avery Anniversary Ale - Twelve (Saison Ale)Avery Anniversary Ale - Twelve (Saison Ale)

good

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.60% ABV

(Beer added by: Gusler on 05-06-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Avery Anniversary Ale - Twelve (Saison Ale) Alström Bros
Rainintheface

4.08/5  rDev +10%

22oz bomber bottled 2005

A: cloudy and golden with 2 finger white head that has ok retention, fairly high level of carbonation

S: lemon, citrus zest, spices and faint pineapple. It's sort of like a Yankee Candle. There is a cinnamon like scent but not quite. Is that the chamomile? I wouldn't know.

T: spicy, tea-like quality, lemon and herbs

M: medium body and effervescent

D: very nice, certainly drinkable. very tasty but a different take on a saison in my humble opinion

12-15-2007 23:12:05 | More by Rainintheface
BWH3

4.18/5  rDev +12.7%

Twelve Saison Avery Brewing Co.
22 oz bottle served in Goblet at 50 F

An anniversary ale brewed with lemon and orange place, chamomile, grains of paradise, and lavender. This is an attempt for greatness thus I will hold this legendary attempt to even loftier standards.

Appearance: Unfortunately, this beer gets off on the wrong foot a bit but more than makes up for it in other stats. The beer pours a clear, golden straw with moderate carbonation. The fair white head fades rather quickly to a thin ring. The moderate carbonation and poor head quality and retention are the major faults. The beer could also use a bit more haze to it. (3.5)

Smell: Amazing floral aroma. Lavender hits the nose from the periphery of the glass. Lemon zest pours out when you bury your nose below the rim. Chamomile and ginger spiciness are clearly evident. Only one minor omission. The beer is missing noble hops aroma to add earthy/musty/barn yard complexity that this style is known for. However the floral bouquet almost completely compensates. (4.5)

Taste: The tongue is tantalized with the flavors of lavender and chamomile. Unfortunately, very little citrus is in the palate. A slight EtOH warmth and spiciness as the beer passes into the esophagus. Gentle bitterness is present from the finishing hops. There is a nice spiciness on the lips and throat in the aftertaste. Chamomile lingers long as does the bitterness. Not offensive just makes better for sipping, and I am not sure this is the spring or early summer thirst quencher the saison was originally intended to be. Wish more hops contribution to flavor, more spiciness from yeast, and a touch of flavor from the malts. The herbal additions are well done. (4.0)

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Some viscosity is noted in the beer. It grabs the tongue as it slides down throat. Moderate carbonation is somewhat of a flaw. Alcohol warmth is very nice. (4.0)

Drinkability: Very impressive. This bottle is 2 yrs old and the flavors have withstood time very well. Each sip brings out the depth of these flavors. Wouldn’t exactly call it thirst quenching and may not be what the style originally intended to be. However, as an epic “anniversary” ale, a beer to be sipped and savored is more appropriate. (4.5)

11-28-2007 12:57:23 | More by BWH3
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.3/5  rDev +15.9%

Wow, so my love of all things Avery meets my love of all things limited. Here we have the Avery 12, a nice Saison, a style I really need to be come more familar with. I was really happy to be able to get one of these tro try. Decided to just open it on a whim today, guess I had a good day or something. Anyway...

A - Poured an extemely hazy golden amber. A nice two inch or so head dominated the top of it before fading gradually to reveal a frothy, soap like layer on top that was about a quarter inch in height. Large amounts of carbonation rippled up from the bottom of the glass. Very nice colr and a good amount of residual lace. Looked very nice.

S - Aroma was very lively. A ton of spice was locked inside of here. Huge aromas of cinnamon and bananas were the most prevelent and were there from the very start. As it warmed some peaches and maybe some fig started to come through. A nice light, summer like aroma, but quite nice and strong.

T - Wow, this was definatly an intresting brew for sure. Huge amount of cinnamon and nutmeg hit me from the start. A good spicey banana with a touch of apple was to follow. Nice long lingering, fall like flavor. Really very full. Some figs and a touch of a grassy flavor as well. This was really unique. Great flavor, and so refreshing.

M - Feel was super smooth with great carbonation. Lots of little bubbles gave it the nice full, popping flavor feel. Almost silky like. Great smooth finish, a touch dry, but really nice finish.

D - Awesome. I could sip this one all night long. It was just so light and refreshing, I really just could not get bored of it. Just was like a nice fall evening, really a finely crafted brew.

Overall this was fantastic. I really enjoyed trying this Avery brew. The fact that it has been retired is sad, but still hopefully one day it comes back or I can snag another bottle somewhere, FAantastic brew!

08-15-2007 00:12:29 | More by mikesgroove
Atron67

Wisconsin

3.7/5  rDev -0.3%

A- Poured an effervescent pale clear ale with a huge foamy 2" head that lasted forever and left huge lacing
S- I smelled a spicy sweet smell, with traces of cinnamon
T- Spicy cinnamon flavor with a light malt and hop flavor, overwhich the cinnamon flavor slowly fades
M- light body, with a strong carbonation,
D- high, the spice is a bit strong, however still enjoyable

07-28-2007 23:10:37 | More by Atron67
bluegrassbrew

Georgia

2.75/5  rDev -25.9%

22oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a pale straw color with a 1finger white head that drops to nothing quickly. No lacing to speak of.

Smell is at first overwhelming. Too many things going on at once. Lavender, and grains of paradise and some odd lime scent.

Taste is very limey. The spices used in this one seem to meld into a weird taste that just doesn't seem to work for me.

Overall, I was dissappointed by this brew. Most of Avery's offerings are top notch, but this one is just off in my opinion. It is a very muddled attempt at a saison. Oh well, I've got some of the Fourteen left, and I love that one.

07-24-2007 00:41:35 | More by bluegrassbrew
GPHarris

Alabama

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

vintage 2005 bomber

a - poured carefully as to leave sediment in the bottle. pours a one finger thick fizzy white head into a snifter. leaves a nice ring throughout and as the beer warms the fizziness becomes much thicker and billowy with each swirl. the body is a clear, light straw yellow.
s - i can smell the orange peel from a distance. lots of different things going on here, such as cinnamon toast with butter, citrus and floral tones.
t - malty, spicey, bready and lemony.
m - crisp.
d - a bomber of this might be a bit much. it's very tasty but can overwhelm the pallate. 12oz is perfect for this.

07-16-2007 13:12:22 | More by GPHarris
BeerTruth

3.3/5  rDev -11.1%

Thanks to number1bum for this treat.

22 oz. bomber poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a murky burnt straw color with a nice fluffy white two finger head that takes a while to die down. Stickiness grabs a hold and won't let go. Smell is huge in the spicey cinnamon with a hint of nutmeg. Very sweet sugary goodness, maybe even a bit too much. Taste starts off with a sugary pumpkin pie flavor followed by a yeasty kick. Aftertaste is very...blah. Way too much sweetness, overpowering on the tongue. Mouthfeel is pretty light bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Drinkability suffers because of the extreme sweetness. I'm not sure if this is more of a summer saison or suitable for winter months because of the nutmeg/cinnamon flavors, either way it's not the best of beers.

07-13-2007 01:47:38 | More by BeerTruth
tpd975

3.85/5  rDev +3.8%

2005 vintage which I picked up from a local beer guy’s cellar.

A: A pretty straw yellow color that exhibited a pretty pillowy white head when poured into my Maudite tulip.

S: There is a huge aroma of pumpkin pie spice in this one. After the hit of spice clears there are yeasty undertones with hints of citrus melded in. If those fancy candle companies in the mall could reproduce this aroma they would have a best seller.

T: Being a fan of Saisons I like this one. There is a strong spiciness about it with a nice marriage of lemon peel and bready yeast. I think I detect some hops in the finish.

M: This one is smooth with some carbonation. I would ask for a little more carbonation in the perfect Saison.

D: Somewhat. It goes down smooth, but this is a one bomber beer. Sharing it would be ideal.

Overall: I like it, I don't love it, but I truly like it. This one has aged two years so I don't know what that has done to the taste (muted or enhanced). We all know Saison means season, but to me it means summer. There is no better beer to enjoy during this wonderful season. Today is another hot summer day in Florida and this one hits the spot. Avery makes great beers and they should be proud of this one. If you like a nice spicy Saison this may be the one for you. If you can't get it, which you probably can't drop me a beer mail. My beer guy has a case still in the cellar. It’s not Rabid Rabbit, but is worthy of quaffing.

06-24-2007 18:36:07 | More by tpd975
number1bum

3.4/5  rDev -8.4%

Part of NEPA BC split #2.

22oz bomber pours a hazy golden color. Pillowy white head that dissipates slowly and maintains nice lacing down the glass. Smell is strange. Sour grapes, lemon zest, coriander, vanilla, nutmeg. Taste is very spicy - the only ones I can detect are coriander and nutmeg, but I feel like I'm tasting clove as well. Also very bready and yeasty tasting, with just a quick snap of hop bitterness at the end.

The aftertaste leaves me feeling as though I've ust eaten a slice of pie a la mode with french vanilla ice cream. Lively carbonation and a medium mouthfeel. This is really different than anything I've had before, even other saisons. Really odd and a bit much spice for my taste, but an enjoyable experience nonetheless. I have another bottle but I think I'll share it with someone as I don't love it enough to down another bottle solo.

05-18-2007 01:45:54 | More by number1bum
aquatonex

3.63/5  rDev -2.2%

One of the last vestiges of my last jaunt to Brew Haus in Amherst, MA New Years of 06/07.

Pours semicloudy honey color with a thick short foamy head, a little bit o lacing. Nose is heavy with coriander, vanilla, and some other undiscernable spice. Taste is almost as sour and yeasty as a gueuze but has the various spices and herbs peaking at different times. Not sure this is well balanced or not, but very interesting and unlike most brews I have tasted to date. Mouthfeel is a bit clingy and old yeasty tasting, but altogether a rather unique beer that, if I had the luck of finding another bottle, I would probably get again.

05-04-2007 03:32:33 | More by aquatonex
alexgash

3.2/5  rDev -13.7%

Lightly hazy golden lemon comes off dirty, topped by a thick, stubborn, off-white head. Nice lacing. Citrus and spice dominate the nose. Lemon bars, orange zest/peel, cardamom, chamomille, vanilla, brown sugar, maybe some cinnamon coffee cake. Wow, and a bit strange. Kind of like a spiced winter warmer mixed with a tart, lemony-floral saison/apa. The crazy spicing is maybe a little overboard, especially since I am not a big fan of overspiced beers in general.

Baking spices, coffe cake, and sugary malt flavors up front. Citrusy fruit sweetness comes through. Lemon zest and orange peel tartness near the finish. Spices throughout. Lemon-bar cookie sweetness hangs on into the mildly bitter finish. More spice than hops. Doesn't dry out enough to avoid being cloying. Medium-full body with tickly, bottle-conditioned carbonation. Not bad, but not really my forte. Still, I'll give Avery credit for trying an interesting take on an under-produced style.

04-15-2007 22:17:55 | More by alexgash
Georgiabeer

Georgia

3.85/5  rDev +3.8%

Interesting beer. I know its retired, but I'm just getting around to trying it, and it still tastes fine. Not your typical Saison, but loads of interesting flavors. Pours a slightly cloudy pale golden with a nice white foamy head that fades down to a thin cap but that also leaves some good lacing.Smell is a little faint, but there are notes of anise, pineapple, spearmint. These aromas fade pretty quickly, unfortunately. The flavor is quite nice if atypical for the style. Lots of anise flavors, candied citron, coriander, banana, and a slightly nutty finish that is probably from the age. The mouthfeel is a little too spritzy for my taste and a tad rough, but with good body and some creaminess. Such and interesting beer to drink and perfect on my porch on this beautiful spring day.

04-04-2007 21:57:17 | More by Georgiabeer
cro250klr

3.08/5  rDev -17%

Wow is this one all over the board!

I gave it a 4.0 on appearance, because...
It really does look nice in the glass. A golden hue with a nice white head, I must say, that sure looks good.

Smell also earned a 4.0 only...
For that cinnamon/apple aroma. Yea, I know, I'm way off track here. I mean, I'm supposed to be reviewing a beer not a dessert. But man, it's like a fresh baked apple pie, or a scented candle in my glass. I like that smell.

Taste, well, just a 2.5. I don't know what Avery is thinking here. Twelve is no where near any Saison that I've ever had before. In fact, it really is a far cry from what my nose got out of it. It starts out with a bit of fruitiness then goes right to dry. The olfactory senses would lead you to believe that this would be a bit fruity, but it is actually on the bitter side. Not like hop bitter, but something else. Kind of like unsweetened spices. Not as all what you'd expect from any Saison.

If you can ignore the smell and taste, and just concentrate on the mouthfeel, it's not that bad. Balanced carbonation, not that heavily bodied. Alcohol seems well hidden.

Overall, drinkability is average at best. A hundred times better than any BMC offering, but that really isn't saying much. Paired against any Saison from Belgium, I'm afraid it would be holding up the rear. Worth a try just to say you had one. As far as me, I can't see myself searching this one out ever again.

03-29-2007 00:58:37 | More by cro250klr
hunteraw

China

3.13/5  rDev -15.6%

Appearance: Attractive apple cider color, good head, decent retention, some lacing. Hazy.

Smell: Citrus, coriander and grain of paradise dominate. None of the distinct Belgian yeast character is detected, nor the farmhouse ale "funk" - not a good sign...

Taste: Sweet lavender at the tip of the tongue, citrus middle, apple and chamomile finish. Vaguely cidery. Overwhelmingly spiced. In this style, the yeast should shine, not added spices, but that was not the case here... Nothing in the way of hops or malt - all spice, all the time. Disappointing.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body, well-carbonated. Finishes acidic and dry, leaves a bitter aftertaste.

Drinkability: Way too overspiced. Not what I was expecting. I'm tasting this after it's been "retired," though, so perhaps it hasn't aged well at the store.

03-12-2007 21:29:41 | More by hunteraw
vtfan77

3.78/5  rDev +1.9%

This beer was bottled in 2005 so I have no idea how well it has held up (it is a saison, so it should last a while), but the store was selling it for 3.99, so what the heck?

A- Hazy golden orange with a fairly small white head. Head goes down quickly.

S- Has a nice sweet and tart smell. Fairly fruity with apples and pears in the nose, along with some spices, cinnamon, and just a touch of alcohol.

T- Lots of spices in the taste. I'm getting cinnamon and ginger. Sweet upfront, but finishes fairly dry. Alcohol is somewhat evident on the finish along with a touch of bitterness, but not much.

M- Surprisingly full. Would probably benefit from a lighter mouthfeel. Decent carbonation.

D- Not too bad, but I probably wouldn't want more than one.

I actually liked this one. I was kind of skeptical since it was two years old and being sold cheap, but it ended up being pretty good. It doesn't really taste authentically Belgian, but it's not bad for a domestic saison. I'm not sure if all the bottles are holding up as well as this one, but if they are, then certainly pick one up if you see it, especially if you can find it cheap. Recommended.

03-12-2007 00:46:22 | More by vtfan77
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

2.83/5  rDev -23.7%

Bottled in 2005, purchased at Riley’s for $6.99.

Appearance is perfect. Pours into my snifter a bright, translucent pale yellow with lots of bubbles and huge amounts of froth – just tons of head, thick, foamy, bright clean white. A stunning beer.

The nose is problematic. It seems off, wrong somehow. There is an immense amount of coriander in the nose but it’s not terribly pleasant. It seems like rotten coriander, the kind that’s been sitting on the bottom of the vegetable tray in my fridge since burrito night 4 weeks ago. Some other kind of spice is really strong. It reminds me of Christmas but it’s not clove or cinnamon, perhaps its stale nutmeg? There is a lemon meringue pie quality too.

Taste/MF: hmm, spicy, spritzy…chamomile, shit! I’m fricking allergic to chamomile. I sure hope this flavor is coming from the hops or yeast. If chamomile was actually added to this beer, I’m going to have one runny nose and swollen throat in a little bit. Ricola cough lemon-herb cough drops. Medicinal. Intense and bold but not right, definitely not my cup of tea. Seems stronger then it is.

Drinkability: Very Christmasy. Around the holidays this might go nicely but now? I want winter to be over with. I don’t want to be reminded of it. Very odd.

Note: just read the label. There is chamomile in here. Better go take some anti-histamines before I pour the rest of this down the drain. Darn!

03-05-2007 02:19:18 | More by DaPeculierDane
BeerSox

2.98/5  rDev -19.7%

Bomber into snifter. Bottled in 2005.

Cloudy peach hue with a thick white frothy head that lasts a while. It slowly settles to a thin cap. Spotty and stringy lacing.

The aroma is a mix of soft cake-like bread and some sweet fruit.

A mix of pear and plum make up the flavor, with a little bit of acidic hops come through toward the end. A cloying metallic taste comes halfway though. The flavors seem overly harsh on the tongue. The higher carbonation's fizz only lowers the drinkability. The finish is loaded with spices.

Maybe others aged better than this one, I recently bought it at the store and I have no idea how they handled it. It seems like the spices are the only characteristic that lasted. I struggled with this one.

02-17-2007 04:33:06 | More by BeerSox
Hibernator

3.78/5  rDev +1.9%

Avery Twelve - Saison Ale
Bottled in 2005
22 oz brown bottle w/silver foil top
Served in an Allagash tulip glass

Pours a murky, cloudy and hazy deep orange/yellow combo. A fluffy and grainy head forms on top and provides a great deal of sticky lacings.

Interesting nose. Not what I was expecting. Whiffs of spices with cinnamon, herbal tea and ripe citrus notes.

Grainy-sweet with an earthy yeast quality. Major Big Red cinnamon gum blasts with a sour lemon punch. Zesty. A hint of spices, cloves and black pepper. There is an herbal flair with the chamomile presence being the most pronounced. Finishes a tad hot with the 7.6% ABV profile.

This beer is anything but focused. Probably not what comes to my mind when I think of a true Belgian saison, but an interesting take to say the least. Enjoyable.

02-16-2007 23:11:57 | More by Hibernator
Boto

4.1/5  rDev +10.5%

22oz. bomber: This one pours a hazy, golden straw color. There was only a very small head on mine, which dropped off quickly. No lacing. the aroma is good. It contains notes of corriander, lemon, possibly some other spice. No too strong, however. The taste is good. A little peppery spice on the tongue to go with a bit of wheat and citrus. Can’t quite discern the other flavor, but it is subtle. It is probably the chamomile. This is a nice offering.

02-03-2007 20:36:41 | More by Boto
beveritt

Presentation: Poured from a 22oz brown bomber into a Duvel snifter. The label simply says ale brewed with spices.

Appearance: Pours with a 2 inch white and foamy head. This and almost oily in its consistency. This settles slowly in to a 1/4 inch layer of foam and leaves behind a lot of Belgian lacing. The beer itself is a nice apricot color, with a slight haziness.

Smell: Smells strongly of spices; orange peels, lemons with an underlying sweetness.

Taste: Spicy, almost overpowering. Both aspects of orange are here, the sweet flaovr and the bitterness associated with the rind. After the spiciness fades, there is an undertone of wheat tang. A very, very slight hop nitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Average level of carbonation. Body is good.

Drinkability: The spices int hsi one are almost too much. They border on overpowering, not too sure that I would want another one of these.

02-01-2007 23:58:25 | More by beveritt
BeerBelcher

2.63/5  rDev -29.1%

I bought this at the downtown Chicago Binny's; it wasn't until right before I drank this beer that the label said "Bottled in 2005." It tasted a bit old, but I think was representative of what this beer is. It is an unusual saison, which I did not particularly enjoy.

Its appearance was a bit flat, with a minimal amount of foam. The beer was hazy with a bright yellow color.

Aroma was festive: cinammon was prevalent, like a holiday fruitcake.

Taste was also very fruitcake-ish. It was only after I took some sips that I looked at the bottle and saw it was flavored with camomille (sic), which in hindsight seemed kind of obvious. Flavor was novel, but challenging.

Mouthfeel was full-bodied, yet sort of flat (as in not-carbonated). I didn't find this beer to be very drinkable.

01-20-2007 01:15:18 | More by BeerBelcher
benmiliron

4.13/5  rDev +11.3%

Paid 4.99 for a 22 oz. bottle. Beautiful straw gold with a nice white foamy head that stays. Smells of the spices and herbs listed on the bottle - chamomile and lavender, almost non-beer, but with enough hops and malt to maintain itself. Sweet taste, lavender is noticeable. Hops there as well, along with the belgian yeast. Understandably floral. Slight bubblegum. A bit winey in the feel, but this actually plays into this beer rather well. Drinkability is high provided you like this type of beer - not a session beer for me, but it will definitely motivate me to try other saisons.

12-11-2006 03:07:23 | More by benmiliron
jmz62565

3.98/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a pale golden straw with a fluffy white head. Not bad,but a little on the light side. The smell is pungent and I swear this smells like cinnamon toast. The aroma is very "bisquity" with spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg. The taste is crisp and like the smell has a strong cinnamon and bakery flavor. Lemon,honey and pepper are also present. The m/f is light with the flavors mixing well. A good tasting beer,but it's different from other Saisons. Different,but not bad.

12-09-2006 06:39:23 | More by jmz62565
Phatz

4.47/5  rDev +20.5%

What an excellent beer. Thanks to mugghugger for the opportunity to try this beer. This may be the most unique Saison I have ever had. And from a guy who is not a huge fan of the style I admit this is damn good and certainly the top of my list in the style. It is very spiced and interesting.

Appearance: Pours a hazy lemon gold color with a big fluffy white head and lots of active fine carbonation.

Smell: This beer literally smells like a candle my wife has. The aroma is sweet and candied with chamomile and herbs as well as honey and lemon and a hint cinnamon or maybe even cardamom.

Taste: Sweet easy candy, and still nostalgic of a flavored candle, with chamomile and cloves, honey lemon and orange lead to a gentle peppery hop character. Truly terrific!

Mouthfeel: The flavor is extremely lively on the palate but the texture is remarkably smooth and the fine carbonation is ideal.

Drinkability: As tasty as this beer is, it may be to spiced to session but sharing one is perfect.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

12-01-2006 07:26:34 | More by Phatz
goochpunch

3.7/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours out a slightly hazed jewel-like brass with a head that quickly dissipates. Nose is intensely floral. Lots of lavender and chamomile with underlying aromas of wildflower and orange blossom honey. Some pale malt and grain character is also present, as well as a spicy yeastiness. Oddly, I pick up a little cinnamon in there. Slight alcohol tinge. Lots of the same floral characteristics in the flavor as well. Malt and grain try to shine through, but it's all flowers and citrus peel. Finishes dry and a little muddy overall. Wish there was more of a crispness to the hops. Alcohol seems a bit too weighty. Mouthfeel is a bit viscous from the abv, and has mild carbonation. Would've been nice for some more carbonation to cut through the alcohol heavyness. The alcohol keeps this from being too drinkable. Would've been nice to have seen a 6% version of this.

Aside from all the flowers and citrus peel thrown into this, this would be a ho-hum saison.

11-26-2006 06:25:35 | More by goochpunch