Samael's Ale - Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

English Barleywine |  16.90% ABV

Availability: Summer

A super-caramelly, oak-aged strong English-style ale, brewed with Columbus, Fuggels hops and two-row barley, caramel 150L malt.

2007: 14.50% (Batch #3)
2008: 15.53% (Batch #4)
2009: 16.45% (Batch #5)
2010: 15.82% (Batch #6)
2011: 15.31% (Batch #7)
2012: 15.47% (Batch #8)
2013: 16.90% (Batch #9)

(Beer added by: ommegangpbr on 06-24-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samael's Ale Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a thick goblet. Bottled March 2010, batch 6.

Appearance- 5 out of 5. This beer looks incredible. Even in dull light, its moderate amber hue is highlighted by a reddish glow, but when held up the bright light, the liquid explodes with brilliantly deep red color. This beer looks evil, like a rich blood-red ruby glowing with malevolent inner light. I'm almost certain the color was a deciding factor in the naming process! Also, I was surprised by the slightly tan head; it was much thicker and fuller than I had anticipated and almost spilled out of the goblet. Strong carbonation bubbles force their way through the thick yet translucent brew.

Smell- 3.5 out of 5. For a beer this strong, I'm disappointed by the weakness of the scents. They aren't lackluster by any means, but neither are they strong enough to justice to this style. Candy-sugar malt and alcohol dominate the nose along with a whiff of vanilla, which is common in strong beers like this. I detect undertones of fruity esters, like sweet plums and cherries. After a few more sniffs, I've decided this beer is enticing but subtle, much like the suave side of the devil.

Taste- 4.5 out of 5. Honestly, I expected to type something containing an expletive and a number of exclamation marks here, but the beer is amazingly balanced and smooth. It does a remarkable job of disguising the high alcohol content. What alcohol taste there is shows itself to be very reminiscent of whisky. There is a slight burn on the way down, but that is lost in the midst of delicious vanilla and oak that wash over the tongue, followed by sweet malt and dark fruit. If you dislike sweetness, then you may find this beer a bit cloying. Although Avery says they brew this with Columbus and Fuggels hops, I don't detect them at all. This is definitely more of an English barleywine with emphasis on the malt. It finishes with a lingering, tingling taste of vanilla and nutmeg. Warm alcohol glows all the way down the throat.

Mouthfeel- 4 out of 5. Thick and viscous but not syrupy, this beer carries its balance of tastes into the body. Gulps are possible, but sips are much more satisfying. Never before have I had a beer so thick and yet so smooth, which is incredible considering its monstrous ABV.

Drinkability- 3.5 out of 5. My god, this beer is good. For a beer about which I had heard a lot of stories about not being able to finish it, I am immensely pleased. It went down so easily that I could definitely drink another; however, its drinkability takes a hit from the prohibitive price. Another hit comes from the fact that it's so strong-- two would be enough for almost any beer lover. Anyone trying to get shitfaced should probably just look for a cheaper, more chuggable brew instead of this pedestal-worthy rarity.

3.23/5  rDev -16.5%

Foil finished 12 oz Singleton (Bottled in March 2010, Batch 6), poured into a Balloon.

The Beast and Mephistopheles are 2 phenomenal beers, phenomenal. Avery is well-known around these parts to produce Strong Ales that are still drinkable and even more-so, delicious. That being said, I had high hopes for this Demon Ale.

A: Blood red, with thick head.

S: Candied plums, real strong on the booze factor here, and making no attempt to hide it.

T: WOW. Super-sweet, fades into a rich boozy finish. This is like a sherry on crack, or a currant/raisin Port.

F: Thick, Syrup feel. Feels like a Port.

D: Speechless. Couldn't get through a 6oz serving ... love of god.

3.7/5  rDev -4.4%

Bottled in April 2009, Batch 5. Opened almost 1.5 years since that date.

poured into my Caracole glass and immediately I can get whiffs of malt/sugar and alcohol aromas just from sitting a foot away from the glass. Upon a closer smell, it's the same flavors, just more intense. Lots of candy sugar aromas, similar to Gnarley Wine or an English Barley Wine, also a little similar to my vintage Beast, also by Avery, and that was a much older bottle. There's a nice dark ruby hue with no head. There's visible carbonation but it's pretty mellow. The aroma kind of put me off. It's nothing new and seeing as how this is a high alcohol beer, it kind of made me dread what would come next. However....

This baby is hot! This definitely has the closest, genuine taste to whiskey that I ever found in beer. It goes down a little like a shot too, but not as intense. Alcohol flavors are apparent on the first sip. It reminds me a lot of barrel aged flavors, but by no means does it taste like a barrel aged brew. This is from the 16.45% alcohol! Upon the second sip I notice the malt fooling around the alcohol burn to create that classic vanilla flavor you find in bigger beers of this nature.. They seem to be getting along nicely. There's an interesting woody finish that lingers from the malt. For such a mammoth beer I'd expect more burn and not as much control. The again, it is an aged bottle.

I was definitely expecting this to taste a little like The Beast, but I was very pleased to find out that they are two different drinks. My one complain is the sugar level. It makes the glass too sticky, but does not effect the flavor much. I was anticipating a little more happening in this beer, but it seems like it's going to be impossible to do so. Fortunately the made this big boy different enough that I'm not in a rush to write this off as another juggernaut beer. It possesses a lot of things you've had before but just enough to make it that much different, and at such an alcohol %. I imagine aging this one won't help at this point.

4.38/5  rDev +13.2%

A beast of a brew. Great ollld oak flavors with hard liquor qualities, then a huge caramelly rush with a bit of candied sugar. This is my 3rd time having a 2-3 yr old vintage and the older it gets the better it seems to get so far. I highly recommend it.

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

A - poured into a goblet. No head; very little carbonation of any kind. Rich, reddish-amber liquid. Nearly transparent, which I didn't expect.

S - intensely sweet maltiness. plenty of booze and dried fruit too -- raisin, dried cranberry maybe?

T - alky hits the tongue immediately, but surprisingly doesn't overwhelm the flavor. Lots of good caramelly-malty sweetness here too, almost to the point of syrup or liqueur. You also get a nice dose of vanilla from the oak aging.

M - nicely slick helps it coat well. moderate to full body -- could stand to be heavier, frankly (says a stout guy...). given the current weight, would've been nice to have a little fizz.

D - not terrible for a 16.5% beer, but let's be honest, the sickly-sweet character plus the alky combine for something I can't even finish one of.

4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

This is an '06 bottle as stated on the label, poured into a snifter.

Nice-looking dark copper-coloured beer with a thin head which doesn't really go away but doesn't leave a lot of lace either.

The smell is immediately sweet and boozy, almost like 32 proof Lyle's Golden Syrup. Plenty of dark/dried fruits in the nose - currants, raisins and sultanas.

Big hit of alcohol on the tongue, bags of sweetness, more of that golden syrup flavour, maybe some cherries? It's quite a taste bomb. More dark fruit here, only now it tastes like it's been soaked in brandy. It's hard not to overstate the alcohol presence.

The mouthfeel is medium to heavy, slightly oily and slick, not much carbonation.

Avery have done a fantastic job on this beer but it's definitely a sipping beer. I wouldn't want to tackle a bottle of it on my own at one sitting, not without company to share it with.

4.33/5  rDev +11.9%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a dark orange color and a thick, cloudy consistency. There was a small amount of foamy head that quickly dissipated. OK lacing.

S: A big, sharp aroma of hops, caramel, malt, and booze.

T: Tasted pretty much like it smelled. A huge dose of caramel, along with malt, with some hops in the finish. Not quite as boozy as you might expect, but still quite potent.

M: A fair amount of carbonation with a slick, syrupy finish. Full-bodied.

D: A fine, well made English barleywine. Don't know how many of these I could drink in one sitting, but still a good brew.

4.08/5  rDev +5.4%

Bottled in 2005, cellared at the store (in good conditions, I am told by my wife) and then for close to a year by me.

A: No head, sort of cloudy/hazy body of brown. Pretty good active carbonation. There's a little lacing. I wish this beer could be clearer, but I do like that it has no head but still plenty of a/c.

S: Very malty sweet and oaky. Down right pungent. Sort of a fruity syrupy-ness. No hops or roast.

T: Wow. Very strong flavors. Sweet, syrupy. This is what I think drinking more or less straight malt syrup would taste like. At least straight wort. There is almost a chocolate-ness to this, reminds me of a chocolate-dipped bread. The oak, however, does not come out quite enough. There is also a lingering....meh in the taste.

M: Thick, syrupy, heavy. Inky almost.

D: Sippable, I am wishing I split this 12 oz with my wife instead of each of us taking one.

4.55/5  rDev +17.6%

12oz bottle into Duvel tulip. Bottled April 2007, Batch 3, O.G. 1.139, ABV 14.9%.

Appearance: Free pour yields a two inch, rocky, offwhite head that dissipates quickly, leaving a short-lived lace ring. Pours semi-opaque red/brown and contains lots of sediment. Leaves wide swatches of lacing and has predictably good legs.

Smell: Raisin, almond, vanilla. My first thought is "This smells like a winner," and my mind is set at ease regarding spending $9 on a 12oz bottle of beer. Notes of oak and caramel, very restrained booziness. Deep, pleasant raisin aroma stays dominant throughout. The smell tells you to get ready for a world class English barleywine.

Taste: My first impression was simply: "Yeah." Follows the nose almost exactly, with a creamy mouthfeel and a big hit of hot alcohol through the middle to the long finish. The alcohol heat, while still pretty aggressive, doesn't obscure the beautiful depth of flavor, with raisin and caramel malt at the forefront along with subtle notes of vanilla, chocolate, and oak in the background. Avery nailed the style with this beer.

It's sweet but not cloying, and the robust flavor continues to develop throughout the glass. The flavor development is less like a big Belgian quad that first gives you this or that fruit and pastry, then some crazy other thing that wasn't there before and doesn't return, then a different fruit in the next sip, etc, and more like variations on a theme. The flavor is solidly: raisin, caramel, oak, vanilla, and (most subtly) chocolate, but while these words are accurate for the entire bottle, the character of the flavor changes throughout. Excellent.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied with low carbonation. Creamy, sometimes slick and almost oily, with a predictably high amount of alcohol heat.

Drinkability: This is a beer to age, and then savor for hours. I will be having it again, and I can't imagine ever having trouble finishing it. I'm having trouble not drinking it too fast.

To put it simply, this beer is exactly what it's supposed to be. I was skeptical of these $10~ 12oz bottles despite my uniformly good experiences with Avery's beer, but I'm a believer now. This is a beer you buy, hold on to, then enjoy thoroughly when it's time for a big, hot sipper with endless flavor.

3.28/5  rDev -15.2%

This is a very deceiving beer....Its over 15% abv, aged with WOOD CHIPS, not barrel aged, and I do believe its an annual release, so they don't have much time to age, hence I should have known it would be a hot malty/sugary mess, but then again, I had $8.50 in my bank account today and decided to go for it.

A- Intense ruby, orange and blood colors, pretty brutal. Head simmers down within seconds, which kind of disappointed me, but overall, a bad ass array of colors.

S- Booze, vanilla, cherry, ripe dark fruits, fresh mango, plum, and a spice like no other.

T- HEAT, HEAT, HEAT, booze, malt, even a small sip is more than enough for a few minutes before the next one. I've had beers that are higher in alcohol than this one, but they were smoother. With some time on it, sure, maybe, but not fresh like this. It just came out like a month ago, so thats obviously the case here.

M- Spritzy, nothing to it, I'm not holding on to any real MOUTHFEEL here. I think its been submersed in cane sugar to the point of there being a hellishly fragile body.

D- None, whatsoever. Just couldn't dig this one, and I am an Avery fan. Sorry.

4.38/5  rDev +13.2%

A= The pour is a nice looking hazy amber color with a small half finger head that looks pretty thick and actually holds some nice retention for the beer being such a beast. Spotty but decent lacing.

S= Loads of oak and caramel right off the bat. Not a note of alcohol to be detected just intensity with the smell. Excellent vanilla coming from it as well as some mild chocolaty notes. Good toffee in it as well.

T= Wow. Again this beer keeps the alcohol hidden while being huge on flavor. I had The Beast Grand Cru last night and it doesn't hold a candle to this thing. Intense vanilla flavor and oak chips that are washed away by the flavorful caramel and toffee flavors. There is a nice warming in the throat and stomach as it goes down just to let you know they are there.

M= The mouth on this one is almost perfect. I hated the mouthfeel on The Beast but this one is much much better. Nice and smooth without being annoyingly flat.

D= Hmm. This beer isn't what I would call drinkable but it's not like I wouldn't if I didn't get so tore up. A great tasting beer that would go really well with a meal that could hold up to it.

3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

a: This was a clear coppery amber color. I couldn't coax much more than a thin whisp of a head out of this one.

s: I'm pleasantly surprised by this, I expected overwhelming heat. Instead I found a very nice sherry-like gentle warmth. I also found sugary toffee and something spicy that I guess is the oak, but its fairly subdued. As it warmed some musty fruit emerged.

t: More heat on the tongue than there was in the nose unfortuantely, but it still seems mild for an abv of 16.45%. I guess the sweet really helps cut the heat. This is sugary overall, almost candy-like in fact. I tasted caramel, toffee, and cherries. The hot finish has an oaky, spicy tingle.

m: The gentle carbonation is appropriate for this one. The body is syrupy, but not to the extent I expected.

d: Yeah its hot, sweet, and franky kind of obnoxious (not to mention expensive). I like it though, a hell of a lot more than I expected to.

3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Batch 6, bottled in March 2010.

Pours with a decent 2F of off-white, pinkish head over a ruby-red to orange body. Plenty of carbonation struggling to surface through the thick mass. Good lacing. Nice, inviting appearance overall.

Aromas are plenty... and plenty sweet! Almond syrup, burnt plantains, caramel, and cardboard.

Rich/dark dried fruits greet you along with alcoholic burn on the throat. Raisins Squared... maybe to the Third power. Ripe, melted bananas blended with toffee and a cup of simple sugar. Some campfire smoke in the finish, especially as it warmed. Thick and sticky on the palate, as can be expected for the ABV.

Drinkability wasn't too bad - although I'm into sweeter, high ABV beers. Drank a little like an aged DFH 120.

This one probably fits better as an English Strong Ale, but who am I to disagree? I've traveled the world and the seven seas, everybody is lookin for something.

3.83/5  rDev -1%

Active pour gets you close to three fingers of light tan foam, mostly medium-sized bubbles so there's retention in a steady dissolving fashion, the lacing is incredibly thick, more a sheer wall than streaks. Dense cloudiness to the reddish brown mud coloration, you might have to want to find a more orange to yellow hue around the rims, close to nada bubbles visible. The nose makes you think Willy Wonka is in the house, vanilla fudge, caramel, milk chocolate, butterscotch, coconut, licorice, nuts, the pear, peach, yellow apple, cherry scents close to dried fruit in nature, somehow manages to develop and erect posture in the complete absence of hops or anything which might keep its knuckles off the ground. Full-bodied, the carbonation is close to zip, this said, it does have more fluidity than expected and is just shifty enough that you can ignore how boozy or hot it is. Sweet plum, cherry, apricot, pear fruit, when paired with all that vanilla, caramel, butterscotch it kinda becomes hard to take it seriously as a "nuanced" beer. Kind of defies you to find a hoppy spine. Homogeneous enough that you have to say, if you have a cigar and the time to smoke it, do so 'cause it may be your last chance. Still, you cannot deny how it massages your primary pleasure nodes.

3.38/5  rDev -12.7%

12 oz bottle dated April 2009 Batch 5 poured into a snifter

A- A dark, deep red with no head.

S- Sweet, caramel, oak, and alcohol.

T- Very close to the smell, oak comes out a little more.

M- Good body, smooth.

D- Hard to drink, a big disappointment after Mephistopheles. Alcohol is hidden, not as complex as I was hoping.

4.35/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy reddish gold like an apple cider. Minimal off white head dissipates quickly.

Smells rich like caramel and apple butter. Minor hop tinge at the end.

Incredibly potent taste. Buttery, spiced apples, and toasted oak are all omnipresent.

The feel is very full and surprisingly sharp on the carbonation, with only the slightest hint of alcohol warmth.

This monster hides its booze well, but it's there. Fantastic offering in the style, not to be missed for EBW fans, but definitely a one-and-done. This is something to be enjoyed slowly over the course of a couple hours, not in gulps.

3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

12 oz. bottle tried 16 Jan 2008. Batch #2, 2006.

Large light peachy colored head. Very well carbonated. Clear, color of a sorority fake sun tan. Smells quite sweet, almondy, vanilla. Taste starts similarly, reminiscent of an alcohol infused morning pastry. Very sweet, lots of raisins, molasses. Medium syrpuy body. Alcohol seems closer to 10%.

Diabetes and caries inducing but quite drinkable.

4.78/5  rDev +23.5%

12oz brown glass foiled pry-top bottle. Bottled in April 2008, Batch 4. OG 1.130, ABV 15.53%.

Appearance: Pours a hazy brown with some amber hues and thin off-white/tan head that recedes quickly.

Nose: Aroma fills the room the second the cap is off. Super sweet and rich nose, lots and lots of dark and medium caramel. Toasty oak and black vanilla beans come screaming out. Fruit and meat come to mind. Freshly lacquered hard wood, cream and maple. Big and dense and rich and decadent.

Palate: Fat and hedonistic. Lots of caramel and demerara sugar, plus dark maple, toasted wood, candied walnuts, scorched citrus, cream, toffee, and mesquite.

Notes: Super complex, but dense, fat and slick. This beer is all about hedonism and lusciousness. The booze is present but not aggressively prickly. It's more slick than hot. Not for the faint of palate, this beer will wreck you! FFO Stone Double Bastard, North Coast Old Stock Ale, J.W. Lee's Harvest Ales. Big, sweet, delicious. Just like me...

4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

bottle into a snifter.

A - cloudy, dull copper with half a finger of head which immediately began to dissipate.

S - Caramel, figs, and fruit, which gives a hint of the strength of the beer beneath.

T - Huge english barleywine taste that's amplified several times over. The hops balance out the maltiness. VERY hard to detect any alcohol in this one, it finishes with a slight burn that gives it away. Very nice.

M - Thick and clings to the inside of the mouth with a slightly viscous film.

D - Definitely an after-dinner drink for sipping. Probably best shared with a friend, wouldn't want to drink more than one in a sitting.

A - Poured a ruby color with a tan head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is of sweet caramel malt oak and alcohol

T - Follows the nose sweet caramel malt up front finishes with some vanilla and alcohol

M - This beer has a fuller body with light carbonation to it

D - Well this isn't exactly a beer that you can really drink more than one in a sitting but it does have a very good taste thats worth picking up sometime to try

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

A - Rich copper in color, with two fingers of head that left behind moderate lacing.

S - Lots and lots of caramel and oak with hints of vanilla and cherries.

T - Right off the bat is sweet toffee and oak. What lingers behind is a nice dark fruit conglomeration, as well as the subtle burn of alcohol.

M - Big body, syrupy texture that really coats the mouth. Medium carbonation and a nice warming sensation from the high ABV.

D - I find myself enjoying each sip a little more than the last, only concern is the high ABV. This is a great once in while beer.

3.33/5  rDev -14%

Bottle from 2008, pours vey dark amber, cloudy and full of floaties. Minimal head, small ring of lace surmis this brew. Looks to be a fairly straightforward English Barleywine.

This brew reeks of caramel and wood scent. Not much alcohol heat in the nose, just huge on the dark fruit mixed with that super sweet caramel nose.

Taste is hot, big oak chips and super sweetness dominate the palate. This is one huge brew, alcohol warms the gut like a shot of bourbon.

Feel is slick, oily, feels as though it coats the entire palate. Truly a dominating brew. Surely not for the weak and undedicated. You need to be a man to finish one of these.

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Almost clear dark gold with a garnet tint, about an inch of thick light caramel head that settled to about 1/8 inch for most of the duration. The bar just tapped this one.

S: Intensely sweet with toffee, caramelized dark fruits (I'm picking up figs, plums, and cherries), oak, brown sugar, and vanilla. Alcohol is distinctly present and it blends well with the other scents. As this warms, I detect charred malts.

T: Sweet caramel malts, brown sugar, and dark fruits are dominant, followed by the warming alcohol. Vanilla and oak follow. As this warms, the alcohol and fruits become more forward.

M: Despite medium carbonation, this is still thick and syrupy. The high ABV makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Full body.

D: Can't drink too much of this in one sitting, but I will be getting it again. Though next time I hope they give out some complimentary insulin.

3.6/5  rDev -7%

Look - medium caramel color with about half a finger's worth of foam, and specks of tan colored objects floating in the beer. Good carbonation level.

Smell - Very strong worty smell, which seems atypical of the style, so I might be wrong. A bit of sweetness, probably the turbinado sugar, which gives it almost a sugar cane smell.

Taste - extremely powerful taste sensation going on here. I usually can't really taste a beer until it gets further toward the back of my palate, but wow, this hit me like a ton of bricks with the first drop! Slight bitterness that fades into a sweeter taste, but leaves with a bit of a bitter taste at the end...very confusing. Sweetness may be due to the sugar plus a bit of caramel, caoco, or other syrupy ingredient. Maybe a hint of fruitiness, maybe something along the line of a lime.

Mouthfeel - very creamy/syrupy...possibly one of the thickest I've tasted in a while.

Drinkability - Very good beer. I love the complexity of it. As far as being able to come back for another one or two, I couldn't say I could do it. One a night would be my limit for this beer.

4.55/5  rDev +17.6%

Poured this Tasty Brew into a Dogfish Head Snifter. April 2007 Batch 3.

A - Medium Amber Color, hint of Orange.
S - Caramel, Fruit notes.
T - Little bit of Caramel Note, some Fruit, and definetly some alcohol taste to it!
M - Medium mouthfeel, little bit on the thicker side, but great carbonation.
D - Definetly I'm into higher ABV Beers and this has to be one of the easier drinking ones. I love it, wouldn't do more than one in a sitting though.

I would buy this beer again, but wouldn't mind sharing with someone either.

Samael's Ale from Avery Brewing Company