2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) - Avery Brewing Company

Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-08-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,215 | Reviews: 1,127 | Show All Ratings:
woodychandler

The CANQuest (TM) is rolling right along this evening, thanks to an end-of-the-school-year sigh of relief and my desire to rededicate my efforts to reviewing beers in a CAN. I bought some Avery CANs at Pinocchio's in Media and Onenote81 sent me some more, so they became the evening's focus.

From the CAN: "Hop Freaks Unite!" That reminds me - today is Flag Day and I am definitely interested in flying my Hop Freak Flag this evening. "Our IPA is an intense hop experience straight from the [CAN]! Settle back and savor the citrusy. floral bouquet and the rich, malty, yet dry finish. Brewed by hop heads, for hop heads."; "Brewed with Rocky Mountain water, malted barley, hops, and yeast." Hell, yeah!

The Crack & Glug resulted in a finger-and-a-half of rocky, tawny head that immediately began to fall, leaving sticky lacing in its wake. Color was a gorgeous golden-yellow that would have made both King Midas and Croesus envious, plus it evidenced NE-quality clarity. Nose was straight up hops, yo!

Understand, I copped for years to having a hops habit that elevated me above simple "Hop Head" status. I was given to putting hops pellets on my tongue and swigging an AAL for the rush (no lie!) and I had a hops jones at times that sent me flying into brewpubs while traveling around just to get at an IPA to quiet the chattering monkey on my back. I was following the hops reps around just to get a taste of the latest hybrid since the standards weren't getting it done. I would call in sick because I couldn't get enough hops to last me through the day. I was a sick individual until The CANQuest (TM) and its attendant steady diet of AALs and AMLs slowly weaned me off of the insidious hummus lupulin. I was cured, brothers and sisters, cured! Do you hear me? Until a night like tonight, when I let my guard down and Wham!, the monkey is right back and I am sucking down an AIPA like it is water and I am reaching for another and I ain't going in tomorrow ...

Whoa! Like, I said, nose was floral and minty/grassy and I was sent, man. Coming back down, the mouthfeel was meaningless as I just wanted the sweet, sweet taste of hops running around on my tongue and down my throat. Yeah, that's it, give it to me, baby! CAN't they just CAN hops extract for people like me? Why do I gotta go through this torture? It had a beautiful taste, grassy, minty, slightly piney and I felt like a hops virgin again. Finish was when when I sat back and started licking the lacing out of the glass. My sponsor is on his way over, but I think that it is too late. I'm filling a cooler with this, tooling over to Hops (not Skid) Row, picking up my buddies and we're going surfing on hops down at the beach. Look for us, we're the pasty guys all huddled around the cooler with our eye out for The Man.

06-15-2011 00:02:34 | More by woodychandler
RBorsato

4.95/5  rDev +28.2%

Clear golden color with a nice beige head which leaves nice lace. Awesome hoppy citrusy grapefruit aroma and taste (aroma is a bit flowery too). Decent balance but certainly more hoppy than malty. Light-medium bodied with an excellent balanced bitterness.

This IPA holds up well to aging: still hoppy after a year. One of the few I've found to age this well.

Per Avery website: 6% ABV and Columbus Hops.

02-12-2003 10:00:58 | More by RBorsato
boogles

Kansas

4.95/5  rDev +28.2%

This is everything I like about IPA, and why I like IPA best. Simply put, this brew has a lot of fruit (nose and taste) but is also bitter (not overwhelmingly) without the alcohol of a double IPA, which makes it more drinkable. I'm not sure why this beer is not among the ranks of hyped IPAs. It's certainly one of my favorites.

12-07-2007 23:20:21 | More by boogles
benmiliron

4.88/5  rDev +26.4%

Paid $1.29 for a 12 oz. bottle.

This is a fantastic IPA. Flood of citrusy hops, with a good malt balance behind. Nice, good bite to it, but not at all overpowering or bitter like many IPA's can be. This is one of the best IPAs I have ever had, and I hope I remember to buy it again in 6-pack form.

05-13-2004 14:16:07 | More by benmiliron
pezoids

4.83/5  rDev +25.1%

This beer poured well, with a beautifully bright and clear orange-amber color. Topped with a white thin head, that left a nice lace behind. The aroma is strong with cherry sweet malts along with an assertive floral hop presence. Detected some apple buttery notes.

The taste is nice and very well balanced. Sweet and bitter meld themselves together into a perfect balance of flavor. Fruity with a sharp floral hoppy bite towards the end that continues through the finish. Solid body of malt holds the beer together. This is really a fabulous IPA. Highly drinkable and not too overbearing, or heavy. Really just right.

07-15-2004 20:01:57 | More by pezoids
mattfungus

Wisconsin

4.83/5  rDev +25.1%

A sweeter ipa with a golden/amber color.

Piney hopes but more white pine than spruce. Delicate and sweet.

A sweet aroma like mt hood hops or like a freshly opened box of fruity pebbles.

Good kick of malt, sweet malt and carmel at first mouthful.

Nice tingle as it leaves the tongue. Nice afterglow flavor, stays on the tongue for several minutes leaving with a sweet bitterness like aspen leaves mixed with sugar.

This one in which the label and holding up the bottle fool you. It's so clear in the bottle you wonder if the wrong beer is in their (is it kuurs?) but the flavor is worth savoring.

01-21-2012 03:51:13 | More by mattfungus
chumba526

Oregon

4.8/5  rDev +24.4%

Avery I.P.A poured a golden crisp color; it had moderate foam: head was about an inch. It smelt moderately of grassy pine tasting hops. The carbonation is not over the top or overly flat; it has perfect carbonation for an American style IPA. The taste remained loyal to the smell; it was crisp and refreshing. This I.P.A had very mild malty bite, which allowed the flavors of the hops to be showcased. There was a slight citrus sourness followed by a moderate bite of hops. This belongs like Stone IPA in the ranks of America's best I.P.A's. I cannot find anything really to complain about, concerning the beer. This is an American IPA which does not try to be a double or imperial IPA; it is simply a simple nearly flawless IPA.

06-26-2009 05:14:16 | More by chumba526
ghwolf

4.72/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I consider Avery's IPA to be one of the most agreeable and imminently drinkable IPAs on the market. Having recently enjoyed several Avery IPA on tap in Denver and at different venues, I was struck by the consistency of the beer. The color was golden; the beer head was firm, though it tended to dissolve faster than other IPAs I have had. The aroma was dominated by hops, though not overpowering. The flavor was remarkable consistent during the entire beer.
The 6.5% ABV is not as high as some other IPAs; nor is this beer dominateds by an alcohol flavor.
One of the best, everyday IPAs!

11-23-2011 13:05:22 | More by ghwolf
80FlareSide

Connecticut

4.7/5  rDev +21.8%

My favorite beer overall. A relatively hoppy beer, and definately not for everyone, but if you like hops, you will love this beer.

Living in the east it is fairly hard to come by. Lately I have only been able to find it in cans at Table & Vine in West Springfield, MA

04-21-2012 00:30:15 | More by 80FlareSide
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.68/5  rDev +21.2%

Found myself up in Asheville last night, (Beerfly reviews forthcoming) and stopped in a fine little BBQ establishment on the strip. Ordered my beer before dinner, as per usual. Didn't know what to get out of the 75 or so bottles they had, but then I remebered I had not ever tried Avery IPA(I can hardly believe it myself). So I figured what the ell and ordered up a bottle. A very nice looking bottle came out, nice old style map on the front gave it a "worldly" look. Please and ready to start I dove in straight away.

Poured a reasonably clear, after some settling, orange amber color. Lots of visible carbonation. A very nice one inch white head graced the top of the glass. This faded in a couple minutes, receding into a thin film along the top that stayed with the beer till the very end. Nice residual lace in rings down the glass as the session went on. Had a decently thick appearence for an IPA and definatly looked the part.

The smell was a citrus and sugar hop bomb. Overwhelming smell of orange and tangerine overpowered just about everything else. A slight hint of sugar could be detected a well, giving it the orange popsickle kinda tone. Hints of grapefruit of pineapple bitterness could be picked up as well as the smell of fresh grass. Exactly what I would have wanted my IPA to smell like.

Diving right in my first impression was holy hops! Bigtime grapefruit and orange peel were so pronounced I could just sit there and smile. A touch of sweetness rounded out the initial feel with a dry bitter finish that left me yearning for another sip. Very clean and crisp feel, gave this the feel of a finished product and something that has been mastered. Great carbonation on the feel gave it the silky, rolling smoothness that I crave in a good brew. A tiny bit of a earthy, grainy malt tried to force its way through the full frontal hop assault. Very nice tasting IPA, quite impressed with the flavor.

Overall I have to give this one pretty marks. It really was exactly what I wanted at that time and did not dissapoint at all. It was your classic west coast hop bomb of an IPA, and that is something that I just love. Definatly a winner from Avery, a damn fine finish brew.

07-08-2007 14:18:06 | More by mikesgroove
ralree

Maryland

4.68/5  rDev +21.2%

A: Pours into the glass with a nice fluffy white 1 finger head that dissipates rather fast and leaves a nice lace.

S: Lots and lots of hops, very citrusy. Exactly what most IPAs smell like. Smells great! Great background of grainy malt.

T: Lots of citrus hops and a nice bready undertone. Not too toasty. Grainy malt is perfect - brings in just enough strong barley to back up the strong hops. Not too sweet at all - has a very light grapefruit flavor.

M: Light body - not a filling beer. Carbonation good. Non-astringent for the most part. Pretty oily.

D: Great drinker, especially if one likes a light flavored, light bodied IPA. Would go great with a meal.

12-16-2009 00:40:06 | More by ralree
dsa7783

4.65/5  rDev +20.5%

The first brew I ever sampled from Avery was their White Rascal, and I loved it... this brew just about matches it, if not better... appearance was exceptonal... very cloudy and hazy with a nice frothy head whose unexpectedly light color slightly resembled a wheat beer or hefe... Smell was great, full of bittersweet hops combined with citrus and grapefruit... taste complemented the aroma, with a bitter-sweet finish combined with grapefruit, citrus, and hops... flavor was slightly sweeter than usual for an IPA, which I really liked... this is perhaps one of the best IPA's I've ever tried... a great brew, Definitely recommended...

12-29-2007 01:01:02 | More by dsa7783
PintOHops

Glass - Tulip

A - Hazy orange color with a 2-finger head, sorta pillow like. Head retention is very good, a bit of spots left on the tulip for the lacing.

S - Wonderfully dry & floral with a nice citrus, orange/mango/pineapple fruit basket! Very nice dose of pine in there as well, malts are subdued as I can pick up just a touch of toast, but it really opens up more as it warms.

T - Wow, very very flowery here, quite a punch of it upfront with pine, and orange & mango fruits closely following. Bitterness is definitely there from beginning to end with a burnt bitter note that lingers. Malts aren't pronounced until it warms a bit, I get toast with a bit of caramel, it really helps to balance this beer.

M - Very smooth with a soft bite of carbonation, slightly chewy & slick and around medium-full bodied.

D - Ive had many many IPA's and this one impressed me with it's potency, it's got such a great flowery hop punch for the ABV! I'll definitely buy this one again, very drinkable coming in at 6.3%. I definitely recommend this American IPA. Cheers!

06-25-2010 23:18:04 | More by PintOHops
ChrisConn

4.65/5  rDev +20.5%

A - Golden, no fade, it is very clear up to light. Full foam, great head appearance.

S - Nothing overpowering, very light malty, citrus aroma. Great attractive smell.

T - Distinct hoppiness with the back up of the citrus. Carries well, makes my tongue tingle and finishes with a light bitterness.

M - Light creamy presence, again light, med body. Good feel.

O - Great beer. Was pleasently surprised with the smell and taste. Worth a trip back to the store for more.

05-25-2012 22:44:31 | More by ChrisConn
Bouleboubier

4.65/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A: hazy gold liquid... huge sudsy off-white head - 1/4" cap till end, good bit of lace (even on a less-than-beer-clean glass.... unfiltered and just lovely

S: resiny hops - lots of hops.... toasted cereal/grain... baked pineapple, grapefruit, tropical undertones, honey, crust of fresh-baked bread.... bold and beautiful, absolutely mouth-watering.... a scent I dream of

T: super-smooth blend of pale malt and hops up front, finishing with a floral, mellow citrus bitterness and alcohol warmth.... shortbread late in aftertaste.... the taste doesn't explode quite as much as the aromas suggest.... bold and refined, nonetheless

M: cottony-soft and feathery-light - like drinking a liquid wool blanket... citrus oil, silky-nectary... wow! perfect, ideal

O: this is the kind of IPA I long for.... reminds me a bit of Victory Hop Wallop (with less alcohol) or maybe Union Jack... stellar and quaffable

02-05-2014 20:24:33 | More by Bouleboubier
tjsdomer2

4.64/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Cotton foam with great lacing. Golden in color.

Smell: Caramel and pine. Very simple, but it smells like Colorado and is close to perfect.

Taste/Mouthfeel: See smell. A bit too thin, but not flat.

Overall: One of the best IPAs. Extremely nostalgic.

06-16-2013 23:23:56 | More by tjsdomer2
mentor

Colorado

4.63/5  rDev +19.9%

Bottle obtained from the brewery and consumed later that evening. Pours a finger and a half white (well, somewhat yellow) fluffy head that's just hanging around clinging and sticking This beer is crystal clear and dark macro colored. Dark golden, like the flesh inside of a peach or plum. Smells...oh, amarillo hops. How I've missed you...why did I bother reviewing so many non-IPA beers these past couple months before returning to you. Oranges, tangerine, some pith, underlying fruity sweet. As an ex-smoker, when I pass by someone smoking a cigarette, the smell is mostly disgusting. But, there is just one catching sweetness in that air that almost makes me turn my head. I get that smell in the hop aroma of this beer. Deliciously dangerous.

Tastes divine. Hoppy flavors nicely balanced with, perhaps dominating, the hop bitter and supported by an underlying sweet. Wonderful burp, iron and grapefruit pith. Second taste starts grapefruit pith with oranges. The swallow is all oranges with hop bitter and some co-humulone roughness. The oranges settle leaving a rough aftertaste in the back of the throat with a malt sweet persisting on the flat of my tongue, as well as a hint of grapefruit pith. Ha, and I thought this beer would be a quickie 3.8 session beer review. Okay, so the hops are oranges, grapefruit pith, a bit of iron, and some tangerine. Searching for esters I get very little, maybe some apricot. BTW, it's been at least 15 minutes (the beer is warmed) and there is still a half finger of head. What else to look for...malts. Malts are much beneath the hops but provide a sweetness that fill the beer. A hint of honey. Alcohol flavor and burn is absent. Md body, but really lusious and velvety in the mouth. Carbonation is md-heavy, a bit too much, IMO. Lacing on the inside of my glass is astounding. It's a sheet of white bubble plastered on the far side of my glass. Drinkable?...yes. I'm a beer explorer and just don't see the purpose of trying a beer a second time. Honestly, I suspect I'll stop into the brewery to pick up this beer on my way home from work enough to make it a semi-regular in my life. Thank goodness the brewery is on the road between work and home.

08-13-2005 08:13:34 | More by mentor
IntriqKen

4.63/5  rDev +19.9%

Poured a medium golden color with a small head that melted to thick lacing. (poured too cold, BTW).
Aroma is immediately bright and clean WONDERFUL citrus hops....bright lemon and oranges with the tinest of pine or spruce. I could smell this one from 3 feet away...it was wonderful.
Taste doesn't disappoint...crisp, bright, fresh citrus hops melting slowly to a slight grapefruit finishing bitterness.
This is VERY drinkable and refreshing ... perfect summer session beer.

04-06-2006 01:56:43 | More by IntriqKen
mindlucent2007

4.63/5  rDev +19.9%

Avery IPA pours a light copper color with a slightly hazy body. Incredible lacing rules the glass. Smell is a 5 because the hops are so pungent. Based off of that there is almost no way that there can be a letdown with the taste. As expected there is not. I am really digging the hops blend here and the result is an explosion of flavor. Citrus notes, especially grapefruit are apparent. The chinook hops are more passive here which is fine with me. This one is not offensive at all in terms of mouthfeel and the aftertaste is clean. It leaves you wanting another sip immediately. I'd have to say that this is one of the better IPAs that I have encountered in awhile.

04-03-2013 02:19:23 | More by mindlucent2007
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

4.6/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright amber color with a short foamy white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is heavy with hops bitterness and fruity citrus sweetness, with a touch of malt in the background.

T: The taste starts out with a strong burst of floral hops, then a nice balance comes from a hearty malt character and mild flavors of citrus and caramel. The after-taste is hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, very clean finish.

O: Very tasty, goes down easily, not very filling, excellent representation of style, decent kick, it’s flavorful enough that you can keep drinking for a long time without looking for something else. This is definitely a beer that I would stick with for a whole evening.

07-15-2007 02:21:28 | More by TheManiacalOne
Sourcorn

4.6/5  rDev +19.2%

At about 70 IBU's, this wonderfully dry IPA is light and crisp on the pallet. The color is golden. You can smell the hops. And as I said earlier, dry and crisp on the pallet. easy drinkability. To easy if you know what I mean. I recommend this Avery product to who ever is looking for this style of beverage.

11-18-2009 23:30:00 | More by Sourcorn
dickroop

Maryland

4.58/5  rDev +18.7%

I first encountered Avery's brewing style at a Stout tasting event. When I sipped the Out of Bounds Stout, I said "Wow, a stout with HOPS". Being a hophead, I kept returning to that brew all evening, through all the malty, sweet, and roasty flavors.

So when I saw the Avery IPA at my bev-store, I grabbed... and I was rewarded.

The bottle's label design, with its map of the sailing route from England to India, wins my admiration.

This brew is golden to straw colored with a healthy off-white head. After the glass was empty, the lacing was coarse, reticulate, and nice. The nose is an aggressive burst of citrus hops with unmistakable, unappologetic grapefruit aroma. The taste follows the nose and adds a pleasant bitterness that is not overwhelming and fades rather than lingers in the finish. The carbonation is not shy and makes for a refreshing mouthfeel, with only the slightest carbohydrate-derived stickiness.

For me, this ale was the first that just shouted "grapefruity hops". Because I like this light, bright hop variety, I rate the drinkability very high; this brew could be my favorite IPA in a bottle. I would love to find this ale on tap. Do I have to plan a trip to Boulder to find it?

06-23-2006 23:47:08 | More by dickroop
gmfessen

4.58/5  rDev +18.7%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is an orange-gold color with a thick, two fingered bubbly head. The smell is a nice bouquet of grassy/citrusy hops, a bit of spice and a touch of sweet malt. The taste is also quite hoppy, very well balanced though and only slightly bitter. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and creamy, very enjoyable. Overall I must say that this is an excellent IPA, not the most extreme mind you, but very well done and drinkable. As it says on the bottle "yeah it is!"

04-19-2007 03:34:02 | More by gmfessen
sgoodship

4.58/5  rDev +18.7%

I had this beer on tap and I loved it, so I thought I would give the bottle a try.

It's a golden straw colored beer. Nice, soft white head. Great fine lacing and head retention.

The smell is great. Almost an Elder Flower - really beautiful and fragrant. It's powerful. You can tell that it is going to be hop forward.

The taste is a great mix of the floral and grassy hop with a hefty piney bite. Lovely. It start with more malt caramel but goes quickly into the hop and bitter hop finish. The floral comes back in on the aftertaste.

Fuller than expected - feel creamy smooth. Medium body and medium carbonation that is gentle on the palate.

I just love this IPA. The profile and progression just work really well for me personally. Simple and well done.

11-22-2009 06:41:57 | More by sgoodship
nickss

4.55/5  rDev +17.9%

On-tap at the Flying Saucer in Charlotte

Pours a solid light copper color ith a 1" head. The head itself is very rocky, and produces lots of lacing as the brew is consumed.

The smells is a gorgeous citrus hop. Deep and crisp at the same time... absolutely phenomenal.

Nice balanced citrus hop flavour. Combination of lemon, oranges, and lots of peach. Fantastic.

Moderately thick and moderately carbonated. Crisp, yet subtle. Perfect.

Very drinable, but for an IPA a bit too bitter. If I was reviewing this as a DIPA, it would certainly rank higher.

Far and away my favourite Avery beer.... this is simply a wonderful IPA that can easily compete with HopDevil and 60min.

04-01-2006 20:52:08 | More by nickss