Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) - Avery Brewing Company

Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

IBUs: 65

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-08-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) Alström Bros

The CANQuest (TM) is rolling right along this evening, thanks to an end-of-the-school-year sigh of relief and my desire to rededicate my efforts to reviewing beers in a CAN. I bought some Avery CANs at Pinocchio's in Media and Onenote81 sent me some more, so they became the evening's focus.

From the CAN: "Hop Freaks Unite!" That reminds me - today is Flag Day and I am definitely interested in flying my Hop Freak Flag this evening. "Our IPA is an intense hop experience straight from the [CAN]! Settle back and savor the citrusy. floral bouquet and the rich, malty, yet dry finish. Brewed by hop heads, for hop heads."; "Brewed with Rocky Mountain water, malted barley, hops, and yeast." Hell, yeah!

The Crack & Glug resulted in a finger-and-a-half of rocky, tawny head that immediately began to fall, leaving sticky lacing in its wake. Color was a gorgeous golden-yellow that would have made both King Midas and Croesus envious, plus it evidenced NE-quality clarity. Nose was straight up hops, yo!

Understand, I copped for years to having a hops habit that elevated me above simple "Hop Head" status. I was given to putting hops pellets on my tongue and swigging an AAL for the rush (no lie!) and I had a hops jones at times that sent me flying into brewpubs while traveling around just to get at an IPA to quiet the chattering monkey on my back. I was following the hops reps around just to get a taste of the latest hybrid since the standards weren't getting it done. I would call in sick because I couldn't get enough hops to last me through the day. I was a sick individual until The CANQuest (TM) and its attendant steady diet of AALs and AMLs slowly weaned me off of the insidious hummus lupulin. I was cured, brothers and sisters, cured! Do you hear me? Until a night like tonight, when I let my guard down and Wham!, the monkey is right back and I am sucking down an AIPA like it is water and I am reaching for another and I ain't going in tomorrow ...

Whoa! Like, I said, nose was floral and minty/grassy and I was sent, man. Coming back down, the mouthfeel was meaningless as I just wanted the sweet, sweet taste of hops running around on my tongue and down my throat. Yeah, that's it, give it to me, baby! CAN't they just CAN hops extract for people like me? Why do I gotta go through this torture? It had a beautiful taste, grassy, minty, slightly piney and I felt like a hops virgin again. Finish was when when I sat back and started licking the lacing out of the glass. My sponsor is on his way over, but I think that it is too late. I'm filling a cooler with this, tooling over to Hops (not Skid) Row, picking up my buddies and we're going surfing on hops down at the beach. Look for us, we're the pasty guys all huddled around the cooler with our eye out for The Man.

4.96/5  rDev +28.8%

4.95/5  rDev +28.6%

Clear golden color with a nice beige head which leaves nice lace. Awesome hoppy citrusy grapefruit aroma and taste (aroma is a bit flowery too). Decent balance but certainly more hoppy than malty. Light-medium bodied with an excellent balanced bitterness.

This IPA holds up well to aging: still hoppy after a year. One of the few I've found to age this well.

Per Avery website: 6% ABV and Columbus Hops.

4.95/5  rDev +28.6%

This is everything I like about IPA, and why I like IPA best. Simply put, this brew has a lot of fruit (nose and taste) but is also bitter (not overwhelmingly) without the alcohol of a double IPA, which makes it more drinkable. I'm not sure why this beer is not among the ranks of hyped IPAs. It's certainly one of my favorites.

4.88/5  rDev +26.8%

Paid $1.29 for a 12 oz. bottle.

This is a fantastic IPA. Flood of citrusy hops, with a good malt balance behind. Nice, good bite to it, but not at all overpowering or bitter like many IPA's can be. This is one of the best IPAs I have ever had, and I hope I remember to buy it again in 6-pack form.

Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) from Avery Brewing Company