Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) - Avery Brewing Company

Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-08-2002

IBUs: 65
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,849 | Reviews: 1,181
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Five four three two one

Glass - Tulip

A - Hazy orange color with a 2-finger head, sorta pillow like. Head retention is very good, a bit of spots left on the tulip for the lacing.

S - Wonderfully dry & floral with a nice citrus, orange/mango/pineapple fruit basket! Very nice dose of pine in there as well, malts are subdued as I can pick up just a touch of toast, but it really opens up more as it warms.

T - Wow, very very flowery here, quite a punch of it upfront with pine, and orange & mango fruits closely following. Bitterness is definitely there from beginning to end with a burnt bitter note that lingers. Malts aren't pronounced until it warms a bit, I get toast with a bit of caramel, it really helps to balance this beer.

M - Very smooth with a soft bite of carbonation, slightly chewy & slick and around medium-full bodied.

D - Ive had many many IPA's and this one impressed me with it's potency, it's got such a great flowery hop punch for the ABV! I'll definitely buy this one again, very drinkable coming in at 6.3%. I definitely recommend this American IPA. Cheers!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Another great Colorado pale ale!

4.63/5  rDev +20.3%

Bottle obtained from the brewery and consumed later that evening. Pours a finger and a half white (well, somewhat yellow) fluffy head that's just hanging around clinging and sticking This beer is crystal clear and dark macro colored. Dark golden, like the flesh inside of a peach or plum. Smells...oh, amarillo hops. How I've missed you...why did I bother reviewing so many non-IPA beers these past couple months before returning to you. Oranges, tangerine, some pith, underlying fruity sweet. As an ex-smoker, when I pass by someone smoking a cigarette, the smell is mostly disgusting. But, there is just one catching sweetness in that air that almost makes me turn my head. I get that smell in the hop aroma of this beer. Deliciously dangerous.

Tastes divine. Hoppy flavors nicely balanced with, perhaps dominating, the hop bitter and supported by an underlying sweet. Wonderful burp, iron and grapefruit pith. Second taste starts grapefruit pith with oranges. The swallow is all oranges with hop bitter and some co-humulone roughness. The oranges settle leaving a rough aftertaste in the back of the throat with a malt sweet persisting on the flat of my tongue, as well as a hint of grapefruit pith. Ha, and I thought this beer would be a quickie 3.8 session beer review. Okay, so the hops are oranges, grapefruit pith, a bit of iron, and some tangerine. Searching for esters I get very little, maybe some apricot. BTW, it's been at least 15 minutes (the beer is warmed) and there is still a half finger of head. What else to look for...malts. Malts are much beneath the hops but provide a sweetness that fill the beer. A hint of honey. Alcohol flavor and burn is absent. Md body, but really lusious and velvety in the mouth. Carbonation is md-heavy, a bit too much, IMO. Lacing on the inside of my glass is astounding. It's a sheet of white bubble plastered on the far side of my glass. Drinkable?...yes. I'm a beer explorer and just don't see the purpose of trying a beer a second time. Honestly, I suspect I'll stop into the brewery to pick up this beer on my way home from work enough to make it a semi-regular in my life. Thank goodness the brewery is on the road between work and home.

4.62/5  rDev +20%

A - Golden, no fade, it is very clear up to light. Full foam, great head appearance.

S - Nothing overpowering, very light malty, citrus aroma. Great attractive smell.

T - Distinct hoppiness with the back up of the citrus. Carries well, makes my tongue tingle and finishes with a light bitterness.

M - Light creamy presence, again light, med body. Good feel.

O - Great beer. Was pleasently surprised with the smell and taste. Worth a trip back to the store for more.

4.6/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright amber color with a short foamy white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is heavy with hops bitterness and fruity citrus sweetness, with a touch of malt in the background.

T: The taste starts out with a strong burst of floral hops, then a nice balance comes from a hearty malt character and mild flavors of citrus and caramel. The after-taste is hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, very clean finish.

O: Very tasty, goes down easily, not very filling, excellent representation of style, decent kick, it’s flavorful enough that you can keep drinking for a long time without looking for something else. This is definitely a beer that I would stick with for a whole evening.

4.59/5  rDev +19.2%

I had this beer on tap and I loved it, so I thought I would give the bottle a try.

It's a golden straw colored beer. Nice, soft white head. Great fine lacing and head retention.

The smell is great. Almost an Elder Flower - really beautiful and fragrant. It's powerful. You can tell that it is going to be hop forward.

The taste is a great mix of the floral and grassy hop with a hefty piney bite. Lovely. It start with more malt caramel but goes quickly into the hop and bitter hop finish. The floral comes back in on the aftertaste.

Fuller than expected - feel creamy smooth. Medium body and medium carbonation that is gentle on the palate.

I just love this IPA. The profile and progression just work really well for me personally. Simple and well done.

4.59/5  rDev +19.2%

I first encountered Avery's brewing style at a Stout tasting event. When I sipped the Out of Bounds Stout, I said "Wow, a stout with HOPS". Being a hophead, I kept returning to that brew all evening, through all the malty, sweet, and roasty flavors.

So when I saw the Avery IPA at my bev-store, I grabbed... and I was rewarded.

The bottle's label design, with its map of the sailing route from England to India, wins my admiration.

This brew is golden to straw colored with a healthy off-white head. After the glass was empty, the lacing was coarse, reticulate, and nice. The nose is an aggressive burst of citrus hops with unmistakable, unappologetic grapefruit aroma. The taste follows the nose and adds a pleasant bitterness that is not overwhelming and fades rather than lingers in the finish. The carbonation is not shy and makes for a refreshing mouthfeel, with only the slightest carbohydrate-derived stickiness.

For me, this ale was the first that just shouted "grapefruity hops". Because I like this light, bright hop variety, I rate the drinkability very high; this brew could be my favorite IPA in a bottle. I would love to find this ale on tap. Do I have to plan a trip to Boulder to find it?

4.57/5  rDev +18.7%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is an orange-gold color with a thick, two fingered bubbly head. The smell is a nice bouquet of grassy/citrusy hops, a bit of spice and a touch of sweet malt. The taste is also quite hoppy, very well balanced though and only slightly bitter. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and creamy, very enjoyable. Overall I must say that this is an excellent IPA, not the most extreme mind you, but very well done and drinkable. As it says on the bottle "yeah it is!"

4.57/5  rDev +18.7%

On-tap at the Flying Saucer in Charlotte

Pours a solid light copper color ith a 1" head. The head itself is very rocky, and produces lots of lacing as the brew is consumed.

The smells is a gorgeous citrus hop. Deep and crisp at the same time... absolutely phenomenal.

Nice balanced citrus hop flavour. Combination of lemon, oranges, and lots of peach. Fantastic.

Moderately thick and moderately carbonated. Crisp, yet subtle. Perfect.

Very drinable, but for an IPA a bit too bitter. If I was reviewing this as a DIPA, it would certainly rank higher.

Far and away my favourite Avery beer.... this is simply a wonderful IPA that can easily compete with HopDevil and 60min.

4.56/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours brilliant gold under a white foam cap. Very piney aromas with grass, herbs and mint. Fruit palate emphasizes citrus with pine and herbal hops over light grain. Medium body and carbonation. Very drinkable and refreshing.

4.55/5  rDev +18.2%

At about 70 IBU's, this wonderfully dry IPA is light and crisp on the pallet. The color is golden. You can smell the hops. And as I said earlier, dry and crisp on the pallet. easy drinkability. To easy if you know what I mean. I recommend this Avery product to who ever is looking for this style of beverage.

4.55/5  rDev +18.2%

A - A golden amber color. Great head retention and lace on the glass. Impressive.

S - Very hoppy, as expected. But sweet aromas. Maybe hints of citrus.

T - Excellent. This has more of the piney bitter hops taste. Grapefruit

M - Well carbonated and packs a punch. Very nice.

D - Very high. Excellent American IPA. Very good, will be drinking this again soon. Maybe right now.

4.54/5  rDev +17.9%

Beautiful golden color with a nice ivory colored lace that follows to the end of the glass. With a floral/grapefruity flavor this beer is easily drinkable and something I could never tire of easily. A super hoppy and refreshing beer that carries flavor throughout.Has a bit of a skunky bite towards the end and a flavor that will stick with your palate for a bit. A great and light IPA.

4.54/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Purchased out of curiosity. I've had just about all of Avery's year round product line before, but i was relatively new to the craft beer world at the time i tried most of them. As time went on i tried the majority of Avery's other products, including seasonal and imperials. My palate matured, and my awareness of the craft beer world evolved. I have been reading the reviews of their year round brews and they are quite respectable. So, i figured i would give Avery the respect it deserves, and reassess the Avery line-up.

Okay, here's the actual review. I purchased this sixer along with a sixer of Two-Hearted at Publix. Nine and ten dollars, respectively.

Appearance is very light gold in hue, almost the same color as Anchor's Liberty ale. Giant bubbles comprise the single-finger head. Not much lacing, but does leave a spattering of bubbles in it's wake.

Smell great. Citrus notes dominate. Very juicy, makes my mouth water.

Tastes much the same. Juicy bitter hops. Orange citrus taste. Not malty at all. This is a playful, hoppy, thirst busting IPA. I had it with the Two-Hearted, and they reminded me of one another.

Mouthfeel is exactly what you would expect from a solid IPA. Zingy and refreshing.

Drinkability is phenomenal. An IPA for the ages. Who says IPAs have to be balanced to be great? Buy as many as you can drink. A wonderful beer, maybe a new staple in my fridge.

Draught @ Papago Brewery
The beer an unclouded amber to copper color as it sets in the glass, the head is mountainous in size, creamy in texture with the color a beauteous light tan, the lace a diaphanous skirt to hide the glasses charms. Nose is dominated by the hop floral spiciness, cotton candy sweet, malt laden and a magnificent treat for the olfactory senses, start is ambrosial, nice malt presence; the top is moderate in its feel to the palate. Finish is pesky in its acidity; the hops steal the show with their spiciness, droughty aftertaste that lingers on the palate, “WOW”! Another winner from this most magnificent brewery, that has climbed into my top three favorite breweries, right there with Stone and Alesmith, a must try for you hop heads and its now available here in bottles.

4.54/5  rDev +17.9%

Nice 1/ inch creamy off white head with great retention and lacing. Glowing in the glass with a translucent honey amber color.

If you like fruit,especially citrus and tropical flavors this is a good IPA for you. I detect strong tangerine, mango and pineapple aromas. I also note distant peach. The menagerie of fruit is complemented by honeyed herbal tea. Delicate floral qualities and mild spice are also present. The malts are like fresh doughy bread.

The hops are the main event in this IPA. I taste an ale that is complex and characteristic. Imagine comforting roasted biscuit backed by warming resinous tropical hop flavors.

The hop profile is alluring both fruity and slightly sticky and bitter. The studied malt backbone enhances the drinking experience.

This sweet and refreshing beer ends with a strong bitterness. I consider this to be one of the best IPA's i've ever had. I wish it was more widely available in my area.

4.54/5  rDev +17.9%

Great Beer. One of my Favorite IPAs on the market... Thought it had a great hoppy smell. I tend to like a lot of the Avery Brewing Brews. I think that they are a great small brewery and I hope that their IPA continues to catch on in the New England area.

4.53/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Looks great with a two finger thick white foamy head, and has a crystal clear dark gold colored body.

The aroma is nice and floral, a little limy in the way of minerally, and arid dry.

The taste is of toffee and grapefruit mixed together.

Altogether one of the most balanced IPAs I've ever has.

4.53/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a bright red-orange color. The head is huge, billowy and bright white. The aroma screams of citrus with a hint of grass underneath. The taste is a nice balance of cirtus and grass. It is a bit more grassy than the aroma, and a bit more complex. The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied, and oh so smooth. The carbonation is just enough to cut through everything without going overboard and detracting from the flavor. Overall, this is a very fine IPA, and I will certainly buy it again.

4.52/5  rDev +17.4%

Pours a clear amber colored ale with a white head.

Smell is sweet malt and bread like with a little biscuit in there too. And of course there is a hop scent; this IS an IPA. Scents grapefruit and pine and a little herb too.

Taste is malt and bread and hops. Well balanced hop level that is strong without being harsh. Taste gets drier as you drink it, herbal and woody. Grapefruit asserts it self after a while. Tasty and not harsh at all.

Mouthfeel is good.

Super smooth and drinkable IPA here. This brew pulls off the IPA hat trick of combining strong hop flavor while avoiding harsh astringency and bitterness. A great all round beer.

4.52/5  rDev +17.4%

This IPA pours a golden orange with a nice white head. Immediate aroma of citrus fruit, predominantly grapefruiit, that carries over into the taste. The citrus taste, combined with just the right amount of hoppy bitterness and a hint of malt and alcohol, makes this very drinkable, with a great finish. I’m only dissapointed that I have not seen this in package stores, and will have to enjoy at Taco Mac for the time being. I could drink a lot of these on a hot summer day.

4.52/5  rDev +17.4%

Appearance - Golden in color with a light cream head, dissipates quickly but laces well.

Smell - Malt and hops hit you at the same time. Caramel and pine/citrus.

Taste - First thing you taste is the hops, a little more bitter than some normal IPAs, but very well balanced by the caramel malt. Grapefruit, pine, and almost even a tinge of lime are present.

Mouthfeel - Perfect amount of carbonation and weight bring the right flavors to the front.

Drinkability - This is my favorite standard IPA, slightly edging out Odell's. I could (and do on occasion) drink this all night long.

4.52/5  rDev +17.4%

Appearance: Pours a deep golden with a rocky white head. Carbonation cascasdes up through the body vigorously.

Smell: Orange juice and lemon zest up front. A little bit of pine and some carmel but the citrus smell predominates.

Taste: A nice refreshing blend of carmel and orange juice. Just a brush on the palate of some pine bitterness. The sweetness of the malt and the citrus battle back and forth but overall they are blended very well and neither one dominates. The citrus almost tastes like Orange Crush but not in a bad way.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and the carbonation makes for a lively mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Ahhh...this is my kind of IPA. A perfect balance of citrus hop and carmel sweetness. I know that this isn't a requirement for an IPA to taste this way but I sure love it when they do. Strongly recommended.

4.51/5  rDev +17.1%

12oz brown bottle with pry-off cap poured in a pint glass. Purchased from Whole Foods in San Antonio, Texas.

Pale gold in colour and slightly cloudy. White head is 1/4 inch on the pour but recedes to a thin ring with islands of foam. Strings of lacing here and there.

Nice juicy smelling beer. Juicy fruit gum and citrus fruit. Caramel, grapefruit, lemon, pear. Mouth-watering.

More of the aroma on the palate. Starts off nicely balanced between the caramel sweet malts and citrus hops. Hops gradually and slowly take over more and more as we get closer and closer to the finish which is strongly hopped and citrus bitter.

Medium bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. A little oily feel but it gets cut by the hop presence.

Overall a delicious brew. I really enjoyed it when I was down in Texas at the end of March, early April. Top notch IPA.

Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) from Avery Brewing Company