Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) - Avery Brewing Company

Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-08-2002

IBUs: 65
Reviews: 1,164 | Hads: 2,862
2.44/5  rDev -37.3%

A - Clear golden with a small head and a thin broken ring of lacing.

S - Soapy hops and faint light malt.

T - Soapy hops, faint malt. Seriously soapy (pine soap) hops dominate throughout the flavor. The aftertaste is slightly bitter and still soapy.

M - Thick, a little harsh from carbonation, fairly refreshing.

D - Okay. It is a medicore IPA. Very soapy tasting and out of the soap sector there isn't much going on. I will not bother with this one in the future. (476 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -37%

Served on tap at Winking Lizard in Mentor, Ohio last night into a standard clear pint glass. Review from notes.

A Translucent orange/brown body with nice head with great lacing which extended the entire span of the glass.

S Not a big hop smell but it is primary none the less, some sweetness.

T Grapefruit hops in a much more intense way than the smell suggested to me. The grapfruit, as if I had chomped off a mouthful of it, was in the front, in the middle and hung on for far too long into the aftertaste. Any malt is totally eclipsed by the intense citrus bitterness of the hops. This is a one note taste and I am not impressed. About 30 minutes later I could feel the bitterness in the fluid of my eyeballs as if they were floating in this disagreeable liquid.

M Moderate to full with the tart of the huge chunk of grapefruit that I was chewing on and the reasonably high alcohol.

D Poor. It was difficult for me to finish this beer.

Notes: No me gusta. It is too much of a one note beer. (999 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -35%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - Light for an IPA Decent head retention. Light lacing down the side of the glass.
Scent - Can't really put my finger on it. One note smell that seems slightly off
Taste - One note taste Unpleasant Grapefruit (like there is to much rind mixed in with the fruit)
Mouth feel - Overall, Thin with a string bitter after taste. Can't taste the malt at all.
Drink ability - Had to eat something with this to finish. Did not enjoy this by it self. (452 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -33.4%

Appearance: Pours a pale yellow to light amber color with a thick two finger pure white head.

Smell: The smell has sweet necter and citrus overtones. Grapefruit is a prominent smell along with star fruit. There is a slight pleasant cut grass aroma lingering in the background.

Taste: The beer has a pleasant light honey sweetness that matches the initial smell of the beer. There is a definite forward hop bitterness that tingles on the tip of your tongue and then lingers as you swallow. There is the slight hop flavor of lemon rind but mainly the taste is dominated by hop bitterness. There is a slight presences of alcohol esters that linger after the swallow as well.

Mouthfeel: The beer is extremely light on the pallet and extremely carbonated. I think the level of carbonation is borderline for the style and I personally would enjoy a bit less carbonation. It becomes almost bitey feeling.

Drinability: This is a beer for people that enjoy a nice lingering bitterness. I could drink a couple, but would choose other craft beers if I had the option.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: I love a good IPA and enjoy bitterness. That being said, I would not seek this beer to buy again. I find that it is fairly one dimension with the hop bitterness and the aroma complexity does not follow through in the taste. I think the lingering bitterness would be a put off to most people who don't enjoy that aspect of IPA's. It's also a turn off for people, like myself, who enjoy bitterness, but like some other flavors to go along with it. (1,527 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

having just drain poured a weyerbacher imperial pumpkin ale, im hoping that this one can bring me back from the abysmal depths of poorly brewed beer. However, it is not looking or smelling that way...

it is transparent and golden, with a tinge of amber and a thin, spotty white head that sits atop the surface like lily pads on a pond (one bubbling island appears directly in the center of the over-sized wine glass that is the vessel for this unfortunate looking brew). the smell is perhaps more underwhelming than the appearance. perhaps they included hops in the brewing process. a quick swirl of the glass tells me that yes, they did indeed add hops; but the aroma of these hops is more reminiscent of the dry and dull characteristics of vegetables than of the citrus juiciness typical of the ipa. other than that, it smells a lot like the glass of water i used to wash out the taste of club soda left in my mouth after the pumpkin ale.

seriously, one of the most uneventful beers ive ever tasted. i would almost rather it be really bad, because then at least i could say something about it. its dry, not oily like it should be. the hops faintly linger in the aftertaste that resembles something like bitterness. up front and in the middle is nothing but a carbonated mess. ive treated my palate badly tonight. im sorry palate.

as concerns the mouthfeel, it is overly-carbonated, as previously mentioned. the drinkability is surprisingly low for an ipa, because it is just that dull. (1,492 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -31.6%

Reviewed 3/6/2009 (Tap @ Flying Saucer, Houston, TX):

Pours a light amber orange body, creamy white head somewhat lasting. hoppy grapefruit citrus taste. very bitter. green tasting. very harsh. drying taste. Sweet grapefruity taste. Grapefruity dry aroma, bitter. less harsh tasting as it warms, more palatable. (312 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -30.8%

Everything about this beer is weak/ bland. Could easily pass for a pilsner.
Light color
Watery head - "lacing" if you will
Hops - no indication of any (at least not above what may be contained in a Bud
Mouthfeel is very smooth with zero hops bite
Taste is weak and watery that leaves as soon as it's swallowed. (312 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -30.6%

A-deep golden amber color with lots of bubbles rising to the top but absolutely no head.

S-the nose is very light and brings a touch of hop oils, pine, and some citrus

T-not sure if something happened to this bottle; but very bitter throughout. A touch of pine and a fair bit of oily hops. Some floral notes with a very bitter finish

M-smooth and silky, almost no carbonation, it is very syrupy and cotast the mouth lightly. A little dry at the finish

D-this is not very good, too bitter for the flavors that are actually present, no carbonation at all. Syrupy and dry at the same time, it completely turns me off. I'm noping something happened to this bottle; but it looks fine and grabbed from a very good store (717 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -29.6%

Not a big fan at all. Not much smell, taste, or feel. I have week taste buds and need flavorful beer to wake them up. I would say its a great starter IPA for anyone looking to get into IPAs. I do want to say it's not a bad beer but as I mentioned would prefer a hoppier, bitter beer. (283 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -29%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Dated 11229B6...fairly fresh.

A- One-inch white head on a dark golden beer. Plenty of effervescence rising to the top on the pint glass. Average head retention and pretty good lacing.

S- Smells bready, grassy, and slightly skunky.

T- Follows the smell somewhat although the skunkiness is muted thankfully. More malty than hoppy. Weak citrus hop notes more lemony than anything.

M- Medium mouthfeel, adequately carbonated.

D/O- Overall not impressed with this Avery offering. I wasn't expecting world class by any means but I wouldn't even considered this an "average" IPA. (577 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -28.8%

Dark and cloudy, looks kind of like unfiltered heavy apple cider. Strong hop taste but not overpowering, not too complex as you can't really taste much except the hops (maybe a wee bit of malt), smooth and drinkable however it hits you with a bit of a delayed aftertaste, heavily bitter. A good beer, except for...the smell. I'm sure it's just me, and I tried to stay objective on this, but the smell of these hops reminded me of a cat-piss stain we used to have in the corner of our living room in San Diego. Smells like ammonia, or as CheeseWheel put it "an old man's couch after too many accidents." Mouthfeel was great, more noticeable probably since I was holding my nose. I tried to shake this but just couldn't, it really detracted from my drinking experience but hopefully not yours, if you are a hop-head that picks this up and thinks it smells great you'll probably like it. (884 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -28.3%

I wasn't impressed by this beer as much as other reviewers were. I thought it delivered a pretty good wallop of bitterness in the taste, but it was unaccompanied by all the flavors that I think make IPAs different and delicious, like pine, citrus, floral notes, or candy. This is just a hop shot, which I don't feel deserves an elite rating.

Apppearance was pretty good. It poured a pale amber (compared to other IPAs I've had recently) with a very good amount of head.

Aroma was not bad, but struck me as being nearly non-existent.

Taste is a blast of hop bitterness, without any accompaniment of other flavors, making this beer lack, for a better word, harmony.

Mouthfeel was appropriate, and all-in-all, I thought this beer was OK, but not great. (761 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -27.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. The appearance was mediocre but turned out to be the best attribute. Dark golden and clear. The smell was a little hoppy but nothing special. The taste in particular was nothing to write home about. It could've been much hoppier, and honestly there was little malt presence as well. The most understated IPA flavor yet for me. I cannot recommend. (391 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -26.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. The color is a slightly cloudy dark blond...kind of a light shade for an IPA. I'm used them a little more orangey. Thin head that fades fast, leaving a thinner layer of bubbly on top. A few areas of lace. The first thing I smell is lemons, which is good because I like lemons. Nice hop presence in the nose as well. The taste...wow...very bitter...almost like chewing on a lemon rind. The lemony bitterness dominates the hops that are trying to come though. It almost makes me want to grind my teeth. The taste needs more hops and better balance. It's a medium mouthfeel that goes down easy, aside from the bitter aftertaste. I'll finish the six pack but can't see myself buying this again, though I'd drink it if it were there. (776 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a clear golden with little head and no lacing. Almost no detectable aroma. A Budweiser initial taste followed by a very bitter aftertaste. Poorly balanced and thin. Avery can make a delicious IPA (See Avery 20th Aniversary IPA). In fairness, this IPA seems to be widely variable from one 6-pack to another. It is not a big seller and I suspect that it is sometimes quite old. Not the best IPA. (399 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -24.7%

Can date: unk

A: Pours a golden on amber ale with a single finger of whitish head. Excellent clarity, with a centralized column of bubbles. A sheet of the same head is resonant.

S: Some citric rinds, grass, mint (slightest hint), biscuity malts and little else. A little oxidized smelling. Pretty standard.

T: Bitter, some fruity flavors which a subtly painted over a sweet malt profile and some resiny hops. Meh.

M: Medium bodied and sharp carb that dies out quickly. Sticky finish. Wish the finish had a little slickness to it.

O: I really wish the can was dated. As I drink it now, it is nothing special. Really an average IPA and a subpar mouthfeel for me. (665 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

aroma: piney, resiny hops dominate the nose. (Wish there was more citrus and freshness here).

pour: light orange amber brown, super clear with thin off-white head.

taste: begins mild and slightly sweet, then the hops kick in with similar characteristics to the nose: pine and resin. Finish is dry, but the after-taste is not very nice (it's kind of piney, but it's really harsh and unpleasant).

mouthfeel: medium body with some light lacing forming on the glass.

drink: medium-low to low. The harsh aftertaste makes this more difficult to gulp and enjoy.

overall: and okay IPA. Not worth the money, there are much better IPA's out there. (646 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

The appearance of this brew is grand in my Michael Jackson approved tasting glass. A light copper with striking clarity & a head of superb retention. Mountains of lacing line the sides of the glass as you work your way to the end.

Smell is a blast of citrus hops and a touch of malt. Taste is like grapefruit juice, except soapy Leaves a downright musky aftertaste. Feel is unremarkable, aside from the lingering bitterness. Drain pour. (440 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -23.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Dogfish Head Snifter.

Color: Light orange and hazy with a slight white head.

Smell: A hop aroma but not as much as other IPA's. Also a nice citrus note.

Taste: More hops in the taste than in the smell for sure. A hint of citrus with a dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium coarse with a dry feel on the palate.

Overall: Good IPA but not in my top 5. I did like the hop and citrus tones. (416 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -23.4%

335ml Can. Shaker glass. Bright golden color headed by white, close & lasting crown. Floral notes, slight salty nuts to the nose & underneath smoke. Light malty upfront followed by gentle bitterness. Light to medium body. Moderate to high carbonation. Oily texture & funny palate. Citric astringency lingers into a long bitter finish. Fruity aftertaste. (353 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -23.4%

vacation tommorow = andy's corner bar (bogata, nj) for a growler tonight! ($12)

eyes...
very light brown hue, one finger of densely packed white head (mostly micro bubbles), very clingy, no carbonation rising up from below, a decent enough looking brew with points added for lacing.

nose...
mellowed out cirtus hops mixed with slight caramel tones, a slight astringent tone (but pleasant), peanuts.. oh wait, let me move those...
pretty much your typical IPA.. nothing special.

taste etc...
a nice crisp bitterness, even a little resiny, medium to light bodied, carbonation is a bit lacking for me, it almost is a bit too flat tasting. it coats decently enough, the bitterness is quite nice but it seems lacking in overall flavor punch.. something is missing. it is not bad or anything just very average. (817 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -23.4%

Nice looking beer with a nice head that dissipates slowly and a sweet/bitter hoppy aroma.

For me, that's where the fun ends. I didn't care for this beer. Don't get me wrong, it's a great beer. I just don't think it's for me. I also may be biased from the awesome Mad Elf I had prior to this one. In any case, the beer is smooth, with a nice hop bitterness, but it has a hoppy aftertaste that detracts from its smoothness.

Otherwise, the beer is excellent and nice interpretation of the style. (499 characters)

Avery- IPA

Appearance- light orange/ brown with a thin but heavy lacing head.
Smell- pungent hop. The smell reminds me of a perm ( you know the hair style)
Taste- strong unripe hops, sweet and piney.
Mouthfeel- sweet and bitter.

Overall- Although I didn't think this IPA wasn't anything special it had more flavor than alot of IPA's I've tried. Good try. Just not my cup of tea. (387 characters)

Poured in Ommegang chalice. Mediocre head. An avaerage IPA with average hops and malts. So... average. I would get this as a subsitute for other IPAs, mainy because of the low cost.

Overall... an OK beer. I would probably get it against because of its low cost, but I'm not going crazy over it. (296 characters)

A nice golden orange pour with a medium sized white head. Aroma of citrus, pine, and sweetness from the malt. The flavor was bitter grapefruit and sweet malts, maybe a tad too much for me, but still an enjoyable IPA. Would like to try more from Avery. (251 characters)

Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) from Avery Brewing Company