Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) - Avery Brewing Company

Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

IBUs: 65

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-08-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) Alström Bros
MrOH

Maryland

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

Clear gold with two fingers of head. Lots of slippery lace.

Lots of orangey citrus. Actually, can't really get anything beyond an orange soda smell.

Big grapefruit and pine hop flavors. No real malt characteristics to speak of, but the beer never runs off the rails, so good job on the malt bill/mash.

Definitely on the lighter side of medium, medium/low carbonation.

Damn fine IPA. More than the sum of it's parts. I may have another.

07-12-2011 00:26:13 | More by MrOH
srandycarter

4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

A - Beautiful light copper with near, or actual, white thick head that is slow to leave and shows TONS of cling. lace. Nice cascading bubbles too. Strange, these cans always seem flat before you open them - you can squish them so easy.

S - Large citrus hop profile. Malt blends in nicely with it.

T - More malty than citrus, but both make a good effort.

M - Balanced to the malt, still fair balance, medium body and good carb.

D - It's hot here in San Diego, and I could drink a lot of these right now.

07-08-2011 23:09:08 | More by srandycarter
ElGordo

Oregon

3.4/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured from the 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Body is a golden-orange color topped by a small, creamy white head. Aroma of fresh pale malt, citrusy hops, and notes of grapefruit and a hint of vanilla.
Palate is well-balanced between slightly sweet pale malt and citrusy hops. A mild sweetness comes across on the swallow, but is overcome by a solid hoppy bitterness on the finish, with a big punch of grapefruit.
Body is appropriate for the style, not too thn or too sticky, but carries the flavor well. Nicely drinkable, this is a good, hoppy ale, although not quite up to west coast hop bomb standards.

07-08-2011 06:16:44 | More by ElGordo
TheBeerAlmanac

Kentucky

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

Bottle poured into a tulip

A: Pours a light yellow color with a foamy head that retains for a good bit, what you'd hope from an IPA.

S: Smells surprisingly malty with some hop backbone and a little spiciness.

T/M: Flavor is predominantly hoppy with low to medium carbonation and a light citrus tone.

It's a decently balanced IPA, but really nothing extravagant.

07-08-2011 01:48:30 | More by TheBeerAlmanac
hiku7

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

Ordered on tap at Matchbox Pizza during a visit to Washington D.C., of all places.

Pours a clear gold, with a creamy white head and great lacing. Smell is floral and citrus and the malt is biscuity. A spicy assertive hop presence also. Mouthfeel is creamy and delicious.

Very enjoyable IPA that I highly recommend.

07-08-2011 01:47:41 | More by hiku7
gatorbreath

Fiji

4.38/5  rDev +13.8%

This beer is on sale next door..so i pikt up a sixer...

The color is orange with a white frothy head on a semi-aggressive pour...the smell is pleasantly hoppy..not to much malt on the nose..taste is hoppy but not overbearing...not much malt on the taste either, hoppy and crisp..diggin' it...the overall. well this beer is a solid go-to IPA if that is your style

def. going to grab another while on sale...this beer is def. awesome @ 6.5 abv, have you feeling irie as well

07-07-2011 00:55:12 | More by gatorbreath
Tucquan

Had this on 2011-07-01 in Chicago, IL

A - Clear gold with a 1-finger head and mild lacing.

S - Bready malt, mild tropical fruit, grass.

T - Pretty malty, touch of caramel, citrus, spice, and grapefruit bitterness that lasts long into the aftertaste.

M - Light-medium body and carbonation (could use more). Pretty smooth.

O - I like but don't love this beer. It's more bitter than many IPAs, which I appreciate. I think it is the malt/grass/spice smell/flavors that aren't that interesting to me.

07-01-2011 22:22:52 | More by Tucquan
rootbeerman

3.15/5  rDev -18.2%

A: pours clear gold, with a finger and a half of head that lingers good as well as laces well.
S: light pine and grapefruit, not much else.
T: good pine and lightly floral hop, nice malt sweetness but not overly sweet. Grapefruit is more on the aftertaste
M: a tad bit thin but does linger in flavor very long.
O: carbonation is good enough to maintain a head at a thin layer for a while, a good basic IPA.

06-29-2011 08:49:01 | More by rootbeerman
zbuc919

3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

Heard a lot of good things about avery, picked up a 6-pack of their IPA. Poured from the bottle to a pint glass, light yellow, surprisingly light for an IPA. Not much of a nose on it, a bit of citrus and piney spice but not too much. The body is light, the flavor is good, a nice amount of bitter with a sip. This is an OK not great, IPA. If you're an hop head that's big on the flavor/aroma this IPA won't be high on your list, but it's tasty enough to give a whirl.

06-27-2011 03:00:10 | More by zbuc919
hmf05

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

Poured this straight from the can into a pint glass. The color is transparent gold. The aroma is fresh hops, citrus, tropical fruit, and pine. I also get some nice caramel, bready malts. The taste is incredible. Exactly like the smell, yet the hop bitterness is balanced well by the malts. This is a 1st tier ipa for sure.

06-26-2011 22:39:53 | More by hmf05
SkeeterHawk

3.85/5  rDev 0%

I am surprised that it has taken me this long to do a bonafide review of this beer. Let's do it:

Appearance: Pours a mostly clear yellow color with a very slight orange tint to it. There is a 1/4" head of creamy white bubbles that was maintained by quite a few bubbles rising, but started to fall leaving some lace in the way after about 45 seconds. After a couple minutes, it was reduced to a pretty substantial ring where the beer met the glass with some solid islands of bubbles on top of the beer.

Aroma: It was weird, when I popped the cap it was like someone farted, but when I was pouring the beer and all of that there wasn't anything else like that. The aroma is absolutely hoppy, but there is more going on than your typical citrus. This has a good bit of earthiness to the hops that I don't remember when I tried this beer in the past. There is some chalkiness here indicating some pretty substantial bittering. There is some malt in the aroma, with some subtle bread crusts, and some mild sweet toasty notes, but the malt is reserved. It smells like this beer may have a bit of age o it, though I can't read the bottle label.

Taste: The flavor is a bit of a departure from the aroma. There is more citrus in the flavor than I thought, but there still seems to be a bit of age to this beer, so I won't hold it against it too badly. The hops are in charge the entire time, but you get occasional little hints of malt here and there to make sure that you know that this is still a beer and not a glass of hop extract. The malt is very subtly sweet with light crystal being the predominant flavor. The finish is balanced toward the hops, but it isn't so heavily that it is hard to drink.

Opinion: This is a pretty good IPA. The balance is a tad hoppy for my taste, but that is really just personal preference. This beer is really a good example of the style. I think that Adam may have had to change the hop schedule since the last time I tried this beer (~3 years ago), so the aroma is a bit odd at first, but it still is well blended and drinkable. If you like hoppy beers, I would definitely tell you to give this beer a shot.

06-24-2011 02:15:42 | More by SkeeterHawk
alamere

Washington

3.73/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from a bottle into a standard, bubbled, american pint glass.

A - Beer looks great, pours a frothy head that leaves foam and lacing down the glass.

S - Very pungent hop smell, I love some pungence, but I'd prefer a bit more citrus in the nose. Not a bad nose on the beer, just a personal preference. The beer smells great.

T - Really a big and upfront deep, grasy hop pungence.. I'd bet from Columbus or Northern Brewer type hops... More of a pungent IPA than a citrusy IPA. Not a load of malt in this one, it's mostly a lighter and more pungent IPA. I dig it.

M - Really good mouthfeel on this beer, perfectly carbonated with a medium body and a dry finish. Solid summertime beer.

O - This isn't my favorite IPA in the world, but if you're looking for a lighter, more pungent IPA this is certainly worth a try. I've never tasted an Avery beer that I didn't like and this one is no different.. Quality. Period. The more I drink it, the more I like it to be honest... that's a good sign.

06-23-2011 05:17:09 | More by alamere
WJVII

Wisconsin

3.65/5  rDev -5.2%

From my son in a mixed six-pack for father's day...
Poured into a pint glass this brew has a nice golden color with a decent 1 1/2 finger white head. Good active carbonation present. The aroma is sweet and citrusy with nice clove spice and pine needle present. The taste is nice and sticky with grapefruit and orange citrus up front and a nice spicy pine mix in the finish. Not much for malt balance in this brew, but in an IPA I like the bold bitterness. Light to medium body and has a nice pop from carbonation. Decent brew here.

06-20-2011 00:11:49 | More by WJVII
jerryjeff

Tennessee

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

Aroma
Nice vibrant floral, citrus scent coming through with a bit of pinish hints

Mouthfeel
Medium to higher end carbonation maybe a bit higher than necessary, definite bitterness along the sides of the mouth.

Appearance
Pale amber in appearance, poured to large carbonation bubbles but very little head to speak of in a normal U.S. pint glass.

Taste
Almost all bitterness with no real malt taste here to me, finish with a piney taste that lingers (maybe a bit too long) initially hint of sweetness then quickly to bitterness along the sides of the mouth

Drinkability
Not really my kind of IPA, bit too heavy on the piney tastes. One and done.

Overall
Not bad not really good. Well enough put together but lacks enough malt balance for me to go with the hoppy flavors. Scent is great, rest is lacking.

06-15-2011 00:30:37 | More by jerryjeff
woodychandler

The CANQuest (TM) is rolling right along this evening, thanks to an end-of-the-school-year sigh of relief and my desire to rededicate my efforts to reviewing beers in a CAN. I bought some Avery CANs at Pinocchio's in Media and Onenote81 sent me some more, so they became the evening's focus.

From the CAN: "Hop Freaks Unite!" That reminds me - today is Flag Day and I am definitely interested in flying my Hop Freak Flag this evening. "Our IPA is an intense hop experience straight from the [CAN]! Settle back and savor the citrusy. floral bouquet and the rich, malty, yet dry finish. Brewed by hop heads, for hop heads."; "Brewed with Rocky Mountain water, malted barley, hops, and yeast." Hell, yeah!

The Crack & Glug resulted in a finger-and-a-half of rocky, tawny head that immediately began to fall, leaving sticky lacing in its wake. Color was a gorgeous golden-yellow that would have made both King Midas and Croesus envious, plus it evidenced NE-quality clarity. Nose was straight up hops, yo!

Understand, I copped for years to having a hops habit that elevated me above simple "Hop Head" status. I was given to putting hops pellets on my tongue and swigging an AAL for the rush (no lie!) and I had a hops jones at times that sent me flying into brewpubs while traveling around just to get at an IPA to quiet the chattering monkey on my back. I was following the hops reps around just to get a taste of the latest hybrid since the standards weren't getting it done. I would call in sick because I couldn't get enough hops to last me through the day. I was a sick individual until The CANQuest (TM) and its attendant steady diet of AALs and AMLs slowly weaned me off of the insidious hummus lupulin. I was cured, brothers and sisters, cured! Do you hear me? Until a night like tonight, when I let my guard down and Wham!, the monkey is right back and I am sucking down an AIPA like it is water and I am reaching for another and I ain't going in tomorrow ...

Whoa! Like, I said, nose was floral and minty/grassy and I was sent, man. Coming back down, the mouthfeel was meaningless as I just wanted the sweet, sweet taste of hops running around on my tongue and down my throat. Yeah, that's it, give it to me, baby! CAN't they just CAN hops extract for people like me? Why do I gotta go through this torture? It had a beautiful taste, grassy, minty, slightly piney and I felt like a hops virgin again. Finish was when when I sat back and started licking the lacing out of the glass. My sponsor is on his way over, but I think that it is too late. I'm filling a cooler with this, tooling over to Hops (not Skid) Row, picking up my buddies and we're going surfing on hops down at the beach. Look for us, we're the pasty guys all huddled around the cooler with our eye out for The Man.

06-15-2011 00:02:34 | More by woodychandler
richkrull

Wisconsin

4.18/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured a darker golden color. Decent amount of head on it.

Smell is nice and hoppy with some malt coming through.

Taste is hoppy as well. Very good flavor. Some citrus in the beginning and some spice in the finish.

Mouthfeel is light to medium. This is an easy drinking beer.

I enjoyed it and would drink again for sure. Too bad they're leaving Wisconsin.

06-14-2011 23:37:03 | More by richkrull
jizfiasco

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a 12oz into my fav pint glass. Head is super white and sticks around till the last drop. The color is light like a fruit beer and ultra filtered. Should be a little darker to hint at the taste in my opinion. Smells like hop fruit and molasses very inviting but a little muted due to a soapy influence. Taste is slamming though, a little soap some citrus hops and big burnt sugar the exhale is very enjoyable. Carbonation is perfect but could use a bit more weight. Overall a def recommendation. The smell and taste make this a go to beer, a few dollars cheaper and I would be all over this.

06-13-2011 21:23:50 | More by jizfiasco
Lerxst

On tap at Kickbacks

A-Pours a clear gold with a one finger creamy white head that has good retention and leaves ample lace.

S-Citrus-grapefruit and lemon-along with some slightly resinous hop notes with a slight and subtle caramel malt backbone.

T-Follows the nose with citrusy and slightly resinous hops with a somewhat sweet malt backbone coming in and staying for just a bit before a bitter hop bite rounds it out.

M-Just shy of medium body, a bit dry, with crisp carbonation

O-A very nice IPA. Not world class, but I wouldn't ever turn my nose up at one of these-its solid.

06-12-2011 23:09:55 | More by Lerxst
EgadBananas

Louisiana

3.85/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to brother Bennettrox for the CAN!

Pours a golden orange color with good clarity, and a nice nearly white finger and a half of fluffy white head. Lace clings everywhere.

Aroma, while nice, is on the more subtle side. Bits of juicy citrus hops, white a nice bready/caramel malt base.

Nice intense bitterness up front, lots of citrus fruits, nice slight caramel sweet malts and a big hoppy bitterness finish.

The feel is a wonderful medium body, very slick and oily, nice slight crisp carbonation and an easy finish.

Drinkability is good.

I enjoyed this IPA quite a lot...it's a solid everyday type of affair!

06-10-2011 00:57:28 | More by EgadBananas
OnThenIn

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

A: A finger of off white head on top of a clear, darker orange, copper body. The head quickly tightened up a bit, but stayed around for a while.

S: Very piney aroma with a little bit of grapefruit, with a touch of sweetness in the back end. Not really complex.

T: The balance between the bready malt flavor and slight dark fruit flavors is balanced out incredibly well with the hops. The hop flavor is not as bold as I would like, which may be due to the beer being past its prime. The somewhat dry finish is perfect for the massive pine flavor and mild bitterness that lingers forever.

M: Good to maybe a tiny bit low carbonation with a medium body that is just a little bit to the thin side.

D: The beer didn't blow me away, but it also wasn't really bad.

06-09-2011 20:24:27 | More by OnThenIn
AleWatcher

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

Can into pint.

Bright yellowy gold color with a pillowy white head of 2 cottony fingers. Thick rings of lacing.

Smells of dank tropical fruits, light earthiness, and pine resin.
Taste holds a little earthy and sweet malts before the hops take over-- grapefruit, pine, and flowery hints of herbs.

Body is decent. Medium with good carbonation and prickly feel. Nice bitterness on this one.

Overall, this is a beer I'll be happy to grab again!

06-09-2011 18:14:08 | More by AleWatcher
BBP

Ontario (Canada)

3.73/5  rDev -3.1%

A- thick golden amber. Well carbonated. Good frothy head and lace.

S- floral hop aroma. Slight caramel malt.

T- slight floral hops. Only slightly bitter. Very balanced.

M- full but light. Lots of carbonation. Slightly dry and sticky finish.

D-very drinkable and solid brew but can't stand up well to many of the best ipas. Still enjoyable and nothing you would refuse.

06-06-2011 02:53:01 | More by BBP
cooncat

Obtained this as a single from VE in Boardman, OH., for the princely price of $1.89.

Poured at fridge temp into my SA glass, a hard pour produces a brilliant peach yellow colored brew, with a nice white head. The head isn't very long lived, but it does leave excellent lacing on the glass.

The nose is forward with citrus and floral aromas, with just a touch of caramel thrown in. After so many IIPAs, its hard to be overly impressed with this nose. I'd like to see a bit more dry hopping to give it just another notch up on the aroma.

Taste is very similar to the nose, in that the citrus hops (Columbus, Chinook, Cascade and Centennial) are most dominant. They are no where over the top, and to me, this tastes like about 60-65 IBU (however, I'm a hop head, so YMMV). A bit of caramel malt flavor and a bit of bread try to show themselves, but get beaten back by the hops. Mouthfeel is just short of a solid medium.

Overall impression is that this is a very good, highly drinkable IPA. It's a little high in abv to call a session brew, but I could certainly make this a session brew. Avery's brews are always solid, and you can't go wrong with any of them. The IPA is another fine example. Highly Recommended. Get 'ya some!

Na Zdravje!

06-05-2011 19:01:46 | More by cooncat
BigDRS

3.63/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a pint glass.

I get a solid two finger head with a great amount of retention but very little lace. Beer is tangerine in color and transparent.

The hops are very upfront in the nose. I get some pine and citrus notes. On the citrus end I'm getting grapefruit more than anything else. There is also a bit of a sweetness present as well.

Taste is sweet upfront, then hoppy, then sweet again. I was anticipating a bit more of a punch from the hops than I'm getting. Hop bitterness lingers for a while.

Mouthfeel is ok, but not great. Feels a bit thin upfront but opens up mid-sip. I'd like there to be more carbonation.

Overall, this is ok for the style. This is my first time trying this beer ... perhaps my experience would be a bit different had it come from a bottle instead of a can? ... or maybe I'm thinking that since we're all so used to drinking craft beer from bottles. Anyhow, this would be a great beer for someone getting used to/into the style.

06-04-2011 20:47:12 | More by BigDRS
BrewIndy

Indiana

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured this into my favorite glass as the bottle suggested.

A: A dull orange color with just a little head. It's leaving some nice rings on my glass.

S: Yep, there's hops in there. Citrusy and sweet is what I'm getting off it. More of a grapefruit comes to mind than lemon or orange (I'm not picking up either of those).

T: Lacks the punch of hops I was expecting. Perhaps I got an old bottle which is entirely possible, all the more reason IPA's should be dated. Still though it's not bad. It's got enough bitterness to it that someone beginning their journey into IPA's would certainly enjoy this beer. The sweetness from the malt is on the front end with maybe a bit of tartness but it's in the back end and down your throat you can feel the bitterness. Well done. I think it could stand to use some Dry Hopping which I suspect isn't being done to a great extent due to me not picking up a lot in the nose. But who knows?!

M: The mouthfeel is creamy up front with a dry finish.

O: So so. I'd give it 3.5 stars. Not quite 4. I'm hoping it's due to maybe an old bottle. This is certainly one I would try again. At the same time I'm happy I didn't get a 6 pack of it.

06-03-2011 01:09:13 | More by BrewIndy