Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) - Avery Brewing Company

Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

IBUs: 65

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-08-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) Alström Bros
3.63/5  rDev -5.7%

My first review. I bought this after talking to a rep at the liquor store who recommended this beer for my hoppy tastes.

Appearance - light in color than I would have anticipated for an IPA and very clear. poured a tall head, but settled in fair time.

Smell - Sweet and hoppy

Taste- Hops really punches the back of your tongue. The flavor stays in your mouth

Mouthfeel - smooth feel. not a lot of carbination, but not flat.

Drinkability - Enjoyable. The taste stays with you and stays satisfying.

Tolann, Oct 05, 2007
3.85/5  rDev 0%

A-Golden with slight orange hue. 1 inch white head with good retention. Leaves nice lace as head recedes. Nice lacing after each swig as well.

S-Biscuit malt, husklike grains, sweet caramel malt. Green hops come through the malt as well but are not strong

T-Sweet caramel and biscuit malt up front. The hops come through in the middle and are of the green and citrus variety. The citrus is orange and lemon as opposed to the otherwise obligatory grapefruit. The end has the malts forcing back to the front before the slight sourness in the mildly bitter lingering finish. Not balanced to the malt heavy side for an American IPA.

M-nice light to medium body. Some hop oils coat the mouth. Carbonation is a little fizzy.

D-Nothing oever the top here but is definitely an approachable and drinkable IPA.

Bottom Line- Not my favortite Americal IPA, a little too malty for me but definitely one I will have again.

jackorain, Sep 28, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

The body is a deep, honey color with a 1/4 inch of off-white head. Not much more too it, the body is very rich looking, but the head kind of lack luster.

Mmmm....smell is wonderful. Fresh citrus hops and a very floral, grassy texture to it as well. There is a bit of pine in the mix as well as a hint of soil or something earthy like that... The taste, is much more floral than the smell, but still citrusy. A medium body, moderately carbonated, kind of sticks in the mouth though. It's a good, refreshing beer, but there are much better IPAs out there, much better session beers too... My thoughts are conflicted on this one. It's good, just not very impressive.

dogger6253, Sep 26, 2007
3.68/5  rDev -4.4%

As IPAs go not my favorite

A - It had a good copper/amber color with a nice little head that left a decent little lace down the glass

S - Very piney and grassy hops smell

T - The hops for me was overpowering and made it hard to enjoy without a balance of malt..this wasn't very enjoyable for me

M - Average for me..nothing good or bad to say

D - This was just too hoppy for me..I keep trying IPAs and nothing I've tried really stacks up to DFH 60 but it was good for the style and I'm sure many other would like it..just not for me

meechum, Sep 24, 2007

A- Poured a crystal clear amber with a big white fluffy head. had huge lacing left as well.

S- a big heavy hop flavor, a little grassy, definitely piney flavor.

T- a heavy hop flavor which is really good. A light malt backing.

M- a light body with a sharp carbonation

D- a solid IPA

Atron67, Sep 21, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +17.7%

It's been some time since I liked an IPA so much. The ale pours a orange hued gold. Crystal clear, with random carbonation trails. A thin bubbly cap with some lacing noted. Smell is a strong piney hop element. A very pleasant bitter aroma. Taste is more of the piney hops. Some sweetened grapefruit hits as well. A woody resin finish. Mouthfeel is clean and very astringent. I have found another sessionable, affordable IPA.

crayphish, Sep 19, 2007
3.73/5  rDev -3.1%

A- An ever so slightly cloudy golden liquid. The head is kind of thin and settles down to a splotchy covering. Leaves some excellent lacing though.

S- Grassy and piney and a good hit of citrus. A light malt backing, but not over the top by any means.

T- Very citrusy. I get a lot of grapefruit and pine. Nothing special, but very very solid.

M- Nice and crisp and the alcohol and carbonation seem to be in the right places.

D- One of those beers that I kept passing over, but I am glad that I finally tried it. I've had better IPA's (everyone has favorites), but this is a real stand-up guy.

david131, Sep 18, 2007
3.43/5  rDev -10.9%

12 ounce bottle purchased from Bristol Farms in Manhattan Beach

Poured into a Stone pint glass

Color was golden brown with a 3/4 inch head that was a little soapy

Smell was full of citrus with a lot of grapefruit

Taste was lined with pine hops and an oaky finish

Highly drinkable for how bitter it was, not too heavy

Floydster, Sep 15, 2007
4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

A: medium-light amber with a small, off-white, foamy head that slowly diminishes to a film. Good lacing.
S: very spicy hops, citrus rind & pine over a very light malt base.
T: big, fantastic, woodsy pine with a dry but not overly bitter, resiny finish.
M: Medium body, dry texture, moderate-low carbonation
D: Very refreshing! Love the hops! Definitely worth a try!

ski271, Sep 14, 2007
4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

This IPA pours an orange color with a thick, and bubbly 2 inch white head. Head slowly fades into the background with a thin white layer of head that sticks around. Smell is grapefruit and a slight whiff of pine in the background. Mouthfeel is mostly grapefruit in the hops aroma and some malt balance. More balanced than a lot of other IPAs but the hop heads should rejoice at the wonderfully hoppy taste here for an IPA. Very smooth carbonation makes this a delicious IPA.

genog, Sep 10, 2007
4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

This hopped-up ale pours a nice amber with a great head that stick to the glass as you go. Nice floral aroma but not much else to the smell. This beer is really hopped up, but not to a fault. Very bitter, but pretty smooth considering and goes down very clean. Not the most balanced IPA in my opinion, but that is hardly a draw back. Do yourself a favor and grab some of this brew if you need to satisfy a hop fix.

saintwarrick, Sep 08, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours a rich golden color. The smell is somewhat faint, but pretty pleasant. One of the best tasting American IPA's, rich rich floral hop flavor as you first taste the brew, then the toasty malt, and finally the perfectly bitter finish. An exceptionally well rounded beer, however it is pretty strong, perhaps not the best choice for someone new to the style. I was also rather surprised that the beer has 69 IBU's, the beer doesn't taste overly hoppy at all.

tronester, Sep 06, 2007
4.18/5  rDev +8.6%

A: Golden and clear. Persistent, thick head. Delicious looking.

S: Citrus, hops and pine, of course.

T: Yum! Crisp. Hoppy. Fairly balanced.

M: Chewy. Bold. Rough. Hearty.

D: Like I said, Yum! Nothing to examine or wonder about with this one. But in this case, that's good!

This is really up there in the AIPA category. A very satisfying brew.

surlyseth, Sep 03, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a clear, rich golden color with a two inch pillowy head that gave way to big bubbles and lots of lacing. Aroma is piney and grassy hops with some grapefruit overtones. Slightly soapy. Taste is of light malt with a good floral/citrus hop character. Medium bodied and well carbonated. This is a very nice IPA. Flavors are not too strong, and remain well-balanced. Would enjoy again.

roller, Aug 31, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

I really like the 18th century look of this bottle, which shows a gilded map with the shipping route from England to India outlined in red. Pretty damn classy if you ask me.

A - A thick and dense two finger white head rises above a clear amber/orange brew, and leaves thick skeins of lace on the glass. The big washes of lace degrade and leave a network of icing behind, while the head shows amazing retention and becomes rocky as it settles to a solid finger. What a great looking IPA...a paradigm example of how the style should look!

S - Sweet mandarin orange is the first thing I smell, followed by grapefruit, mango, and other tropical fruits. A nice biscuity malt backbone supports the fruity hop notes. Not quite as assertive as it could be. I like my IPA's to sear my nose-hairs with hop fire, and although this one is really pleasant and full of tropical fruit salad notes, it falls a hair shy of greatness in the nose department.

T - The flavors are much more forcefully hoppy than the nose! Again, the hops here are very fruity with grapefruit taking center stage, followed by guava, mango, mandarin orange, and pineapple. The balancing biscuit malt flavors do a great job of keeping the hops in check, while still allowing the fruit flavors to shine.

M - On the lighter side of medium bodied, with moderate carbonation. I've had heftier IPA's, but this one provides a good deal of presence with big hoppy oils coating the mouth so that it feels heavier after swallowing than it does while the beer is still in your mouth.

D - This is decently drinkable, but not really my idea of a session brew. The grapefruit is a little bit too puckering for me to drink more than maybe two. Otherwise, this is a great IPA! I'll probably buy this again.

pmcadamis, Aug 31, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Had on draft at the Frisco Grille and Cantina, Columbia, MD.

A- Pours a deep gold color with a thick white head.

S- Very piny and citrusy, not overwhelming however.

T- Taste is flowery, fresh citrus and pine, a well balanced IPA without being over the top.

M- Well carbonated, bubbly but balanced, thin to medium on the tongue.

D- A very refreshing IPA, not overly hopped, a very welcome taste.

cichief, Aug 25, 2007
3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

Well this is definately not the Maharaja.

A- Nice translucent rich amber body that pours with a 3 finger foamy white head. Great head retention-eventually fades to 1/2 finger and stays with that the whole way down. Lots of lacing is left behind in the glass.

S- Many different kinds of hops. Has a grapefruit, floral, and earthy essence to it.

T- Lots of smooth citrus-mainly grapefruit-hop flavor upfront with a weak bready malt backbone. Finish has a refreshing floral hop essence to it. Though the initial taste is not bitter whatsoever a somewhat unpleasant hop bitterness lingers on and on with refreshing hints of floral hop flavor.

M- High carbonation and medium weight body. Not much else to it.

D- This is a great one to drink and has many hop personalities to it. Avery does a nice job at having some hop bitterness but accenting the hop flavor in this IPA. Its not nearly as delicious as the Maharaja but still decent none the less. One that I will probably revisit-definately worth a try.

PittBeerGirl, Aug 23, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +17.7%

Great Beer. One of my Favorite IPAs on the market... Thought it had a great hoppy smell. I tend to like a lot of the Avery Brewing Brews. I think that they are a great small brewery and I hope that their IPA continues to catch on in the New England area.

GweedoeBRew, Aug 21, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

I had "sworn off" Avery IPA after having an awful bottle of it back when I lived in Southern California. Hint...never buy an old Avery IPA (it does NOT age well).

I've lived in Colorado for over a year, and thought I'd give it another try after having a magnificent glass of it on tap at a local bar. I picked up a six pack at my local liquor store (I looked at the clarity in one bottle before I bought it, however. If you see ANY haziness in an Avery, do not purchase it-- it is old).

The beer poured a clear amber into a pint glass, with a nice 1-1/2" head. It dissipated pretty quickly, but left a light lace on the glass as I drank. The smell was not over the top hops, but I could tell it was an IPA.

This is a very drinkable IPA-- very smooth, hints of citrus (but subtle), balanced malts. It's not as hoppy as I usually like my IPAs (I love Stone's Ruination and Boulder's Mojo), but it had enough to keep me happy.

I will definitely buy Avery IPA again!

IPALOVER, Aug 20, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass
paired this with some fresh pineapple & jack & cheddar cheese - worked very well, but it probably would have worked with any IPA.

A: 3/4" white head that reduced to a ring & left little lacing. Clear light amber body.

S: Solid hoppy aroma - pine & citrus with a nice sweet maltiness too.

T: The taste was a lot like the smell, with the bitter hops overpowering a light caramel malt.

M: Medium bodied. Medium carbonation. Dry, hoppy finish.

D: Goes down easy & would make a decent session beer (if 6.3% abv is not too high for you). No real complaints, it's a good beer that I'll happily drink again - but it's not one of my favorite IPAs.

OKCNittany, Aug 17, 2007
3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

Avery IPA on draft with a jerk chicken pineapple cheesy sub = sheer delite.

What, I need to write more? If I must.

A: Clear gold, topped with a pure white, sticky head. Some bubbles rise through the beer and the lacing, as I drain this one, is uniform and cool. The head lasts about 20 minutes.

S: Mostly citrus hops (not a bad thing, really) some malt and an orange smell. Doesn't grab you, but it's basic and to style.

T. This is good. Crisp, bitter citrus hop flavor with a hint of acidity and pine. Alive and mildly harsh, cleansing and refreshing. Aftertaste lingers on the back of my tongue. This is a basic bitter American IPA but a darn good one. Hoppier than some and carries a real "bite". I dug it.

Mouthfeel is sharp from the acidic hops and rough carbonation. Bold. Good!

Again, this went wonderfully with my spicy chicken sub and I'll have it again. Great if you're a hophead looking for a quick fix.

kkipple, Aug 16, 2007
3.6/5  rDev -6.5%

Meh.

Pours beeeaaautifully, rich, golden, superb lacing/head... this is precisely how I want my West Coast IPAs to look...

Smells like... ummmm... what does it smell like? I guess there's some hops in there... somewhere. Reaaallly disappointing at first, although the fruity hints that are there are appealing, but it never really shows up in strength, which is sad. I like me some hoppy aroma, dammit.

Tastes almost astringently bitter, with some pleasing light peachy sweetness... hop flavor is present/noticeable if not straining against all boundaries for flavor... however, this beer warms WONDERFULLY. I can't emphasize enough how much better this beer was down the home stretch than out of the fridge. Very frequently with IPAs as they reach room temperature you'll start to get fusel alcohols (at least, I find that to be the case... don't let that statement stand as truth by itself), but here the sweet fruit and citrusy, floral hop flavors all came rushing in. A totally different beer once almost room temp.

Despite my criticisms, this is a fine, middle of the road IPA. There's just so many GREAT ones out here in SoCal, why drink the Colorado imports? It reminds me of Smutty's IPA, strangely, although I think theirs has more malt... when freshly poured bitterness is far too assertive, and aroma is lacking on what would otherwise be an excellent brew, and both are better towards their finish, particularly if it's a slow finish.

Anyway, certainly try it. I hope to track this down in a keg one of these days soon and see how it works there.

errantnight, Aug 15, 2007
3.73/5  rDev -3.1%

12 oz. bottle, with cool 15th century Eastern Hemisphere map on the label, looks like something Vasco de Gama would use,

A: Golden yellow, maybe a shade darker than a macro lager, or a pilsner, but the head is amazing, thick and white, it stays around for the whole glass, and leaves excellent lacing.

S: Smells of hops. Tangerine, grapefruit, and pineapple abound.

T: Interesting, this is a much softer IPA in the flavor of the hops department, the hop compounds definitely taste more fruity, and of more like tropical fruit and citrus than I'm used to in an average American IPA. A different take, but I like it a lot.

M: Chewy and resiny, medium-bodied.

D: A good IPA from Avery, I've had better, but a quality beer at a good price, and easy to find, I'm sold. Will please beginning IPA drinkers and hopheads alike.

Halcyondays, Aug 08, 2007
3.63/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours a vibrant amber with a thin white head that leaves some broken rings of lacing on the glass.

The smell is citric - grapefruit and orange. Some peppery alcohol is in the back.

The taste is of citrus - grapefruit and orange. Very bitter with just a nod of some sweet malt in the back end. Peppery alcohol gives it a kick. Rather astringent, with notes of soapiness and wet cardboard. Quite resiny after mid-way through.

This is a decent IPA overall, but I can't see what makes this special. It is slightly flawed and harsh. Not enough to really complain about, but enough to keep it from greatness. The citrus does shine forth, especially in the nose. It does seem to be lacking something tying it together that would improve it. As it is, it's decent, but found myself going to another IPA after one of these, though a second would be fine too.

jwc215, Aug 05, 2007
3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Harpoon IPA glass.

Head was small, off-white and diminishing. Color was amber with light carbonation.

Aroma was citrusy hops. Grapefruit in the front, mild malt in the background.

Taste was bitter, citrusy hops, but is well balanced by the malt. Easy drinking and very crisp. Awesome beer, long lasting bitterness. Very sessionable.

drumrboy22, Aug 03, 2007