Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) - Avery Brewing Company

Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-08-2002

IBUs: 65
Reviews: 1,165 | Hads: 2,882
3.96/5  rDev +1.8%

An extra nice IPA. Big head first which dissipates quickly. It is a very carbonated head. There are some citrus overtones but the predominance is great hop bitterness. The end is a little grassy?, piney? and compliments the overall beer. overall a very nice ipa for hop lovers, good Job, Avery !! (296 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance- Clear amber brown, very bubbly, and a solid one finger head that sticks around.

Aroma-Not much here besides pine and some malty sweetness.

Taste-Pine and grapefruit hit the tongue at first providing a bitter jolt. On the back end caramel malts provide balance at first, but it started to taste buttery and unpleasant. I really think this may have been sitting on tap too long or something considering the buttery taste and the lack hop flavors than pine.

Feel- A very bitter beer that leaves an astringency long after a sip. Medium bodied and very carbonated.

Overall- Like I said this may have been old so I feel bad judging it harshly considering that it has good rating. Even then it wasn't a bad beer by any means, but it feel just short of good. I'll be trying to see if I can find this fresh so I can know for sure. Hopefully Im right and it proves me wrong. (77/100) (890 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a clear golden with little head and no lacing. Almost no detectable aroma. A Budweiser initial taste followed by a very bitter aftertaste. Poorly balanced and thin. Avery can make a delicious IPA (See Avery 20th Aniversary IPA). In fairness, this IPA seems to be widely variable from one 6-pack to another. It is not a big seller and I suspect that it is sometimes quite old. Not the best IPA. (399 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Presentation: It was poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into pint glass. The label has no abv info.

Appearance: Avery IPA has an orange tan body with some fine sediment. On top is about a one fingers thick, light tan head which fades quickly to just a thin film that sticks to the edge of the glass.

Smell: The nose has a big fruity and juicy hop presence with loads of tropical fruit, orange rind and sweet malt with a hint of bread yeast.

Tast/palate: It’s flavor first hits you with big juicy hops right up front. The malt offers some sweetness for balance before a big citrus rind/pith like bitterness slowly sneaks in on the sides and lingers on palate. The palate feels fairly full and there is just enough carbonation to give it some lift. (752 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -29.6%

Not a big fan at all. Not much smell, taste, or feel. I have week taste buds and need flavorful beer to wake them up. I would say its a great starter IPA for anyone looking to get into IPAs. I do want to say it's not a bad beer but as I mentioned would prefer a hoppier, bitter beer. (283 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at ACBF, a very nice full bodied IPA, lot of primary pine notes, good balanced bitterness, this was really fresh and tasty, had it side by side with their DIPA and was quite impressed with both, worth seeking out. Bitterness was apparent but not overwhelming in either case, very tasty with strong complexity.

Reviewed a year later from can, really nice appearance, clear with nice retention. aromas of pine and grapefruit, fresh meadow florals. Taste is smooth, bready malts with a citrusy pungency, coating resiny hop notes but also a brightness to it. Good balance, and a firm mouthfeel with an assertive carbonation. Big chewy mouthfeel. Lots of bright C-hops in this with some earthiness as well and I think this makes quite a pleasant IPA with some forward flavour and a nice balance, a touch resiny perhaps but I enjoyed it. Bumped rating a little higher. (871 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Not like me to poo-poo a beer that is well rated but I just don't dig if all that much. If feels thick and syrupy in my mouth and that feeling persists minutes afterward. It looks good with a nice head. Smell good but it just doesn't feel exactly right. So I disagree on this one with the Bros and my fellow beer snobs. (319 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured can into glass. 6.5% abv.

Appearance- Clear light orange with a massive white foamy head.

Smell- Lively grapefruit citrus smell with some pine as well.

Taste- Mild citrus notes blend into more of a pine and grassy flavor. Finish is dry but not immensely bitter. Has much more of a light caramel malt finish but the hops are still quite detectable still. Alcohol is well hidden as the beer is smooth and easy drinking.

Mouthfeel- Medium body with high carbonation. Smooth.

Overall- Refreshing and goes down easy. Not as bitter as many other IPA's as this one is more malt flavored. (596 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

For the most part, this IPA is very well balanced. It's not overly bitter and has a subtle sweetness. I only gave this beer a try because I needed something in a can and when I read "Hop Heads Unite" on the can label, it went into my shopping car. I consider myself a "hop head" but was actually hoping for the beer to be a bit more bitter, so I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't. (384 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

As I should, I took my first sniff and sip from the can, but for a proper review I poured into a standard pint.

A - Apple juice light amber, huge puffy head on an aggressive pour with spotty lacing that gathers at random around the glass.

S - Nice earthy aroma. Makes me feel like I'm drinking it straight from the cask in a basement somewhere.

T - Its got a soft taste. Hint of Bosc pear. Sandy on the teeth. Hides the alcohol well with a bit of a lingering finish. I thought it was gonna be slippery, but it hung around for a while.

M - Light bodied. It left a gas or a smoke in my mouth that stuck keeping me reflecting on it.

O - There's definitely craft in its concocting. Moderately balanced but off putting in its odor. I like it. Its like a guy who hangs around a lot that you can't quite get a good read on. He seems nice but you've heard he's a little shifty. Either way, you still think he's got your back. (926 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +7.2%

330ml can served in a pint glass.

A: Pours a slightly cloudy orange color color forming a medium creamy white head that leaves many lingering molasses lacings in the glass. Medium retention and a thin foam layer remains for a long time on the top

S: Refreshing citrus, grassy, piny and flowery hops in the nose... Intense... Caramel and crystal malts. Notes of oranges and tropical fruits. Slightly sweet in the nose

T: Follows the nose. A slightly caramel malts taste followed by a nice hop bitter punch. The light caramel sweetness combine perfectly with the bitterness making it quite enjoyable in the mouth. Notes of orange and grapefruit. Citrus, grassy and piny hops profile. Great sweet-bitterness balance

M: Light body. Slightly molasses. Good carbonation. Citrus piny aftertaste

O: Very drinkable and enjoyable IPA. As suggested in the can: "Hoppy Freaks Unite!" (876 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Nearly crystal clear appearance with a golden copper color. Head quickly settled after building a finger tall, white in color. nice lacing as the foam fell.

S: Moderate grapefruit, earthy and pine hop aroma. medium to low bready and toasty notes. No esters.

T: Moderate bitterness with the pine and grapefuit flavors coming through. Solid malt backbone consistint with the aroma, bready, crust and dough flavors. The balance is on the hop side (duh) I'd say 4:3. After-taste is a more dank piney flavor that lingers on the tongue. There is a slight mineral character I pickup as the hops wear on the pallete.

M: Crisp and clean drinkability with medium carbonation levels. The body is medium-low with no alcohol warming, just a slight harshness from the bitterness.

O: A nice drinking IPA with a solid malt character. I think the bottle I had might have had some age on it, so I'd like a fresher example, but.. middle of the road as far as IPAs go. (956 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I had my first one of these in a sturdy glass mug at cellar temperature.

Perfect presentation. A long-lasting puffy two-finger white head leaves a pretty pattern of lacing behind, over a clear golden, sunset orange body.

The aroma, while not overly strong, is fairly heavy on lemon and orange. There's also a bit of a sweet yeasty smell.

A fruity orange juice taste is the initial flavor detected. This transitions very nicely into a drier, more astringent orange or lemon peel taste, and finally turns to biscuity breadiness in the finish. A resinous pine needle bitterness resonates for minutes after a sip. Done by the books, in highly satisfactory fashion.

Mild carbonation lends a seamlessly smooth and quaffable feel to this one.

There's nothing not to like about it. This beer will alleviate a hops craving just as well as any other IPA of high renown. (864 characters)

look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pours nice and smooth with a golden brown, but somewhat lightly yellow body. Lighter color than most ipas in my opinion. Small one finger head and nice lace on the glass.

Not too complex in the nose, nice herbal hops and grapefruitiness to it. A little watery in the smell.

The taste was better than expected, very citrusy (grapefruits), and nice hops with some toasted malt bitterness coming through at the end. Intriguingly creamy?

Big carbonation and very drinkable.
I drink a lot of ipas, and this is somehow different, but hard to put my finger on how. Not the greatest brew ever, but good for sure. (609 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +1%

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a medium coppery amber with a fine one finger ivory head with great retention and lacing. Aroma of light caramel malt, citrus hops, light orange family citrus. Flavor is rich caramel and bready malt, resiny pine and citrus hops, nice lingering pine and mildly citrus hop bitterness. Medium body with a a light creaminess. A quite nicely balanced and smooth IPA. Nice hop bill with more pine influence but good citrus too. Great tasting malt support body. This may be an older bottle, not confident about the store I bought it from; kudos for the healthy hop flavor is has been sitting for a while. Enjoyable. (658 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -22.6%

It appears this brew has been around for quite a while, but this is the first I have found it in my market. Having lived in Ft. Collins many years ago, I was really excited to try this Avery. However, I am quite underwhelmed. The aroma is bready, slightly floral, with a bit of orange and pine. For an IPA it is more sweet than I had expected. The finish is very sharp, more so than I am used to, but not in a good way. I doubt I will be purchasing this one again. I give it a rank of around 40 in my top 50 IPAs (i.e. #3 IPA shelf). (533 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Undated.

Briefly.... all to style, but to note... fabulous spotty lace after head fades. Sweeter taste than usual for IPA, with almost glace orange candy notes. Mouthfeel is a worry, almost watery which is unusal at this ABV.

Otherwise good solid drinking, if unremarkable. Age is of course the unknown and concern. (318 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Gonna give this review a total make-over. Been a while since I last tried this but revisited it tonight. New ratings reflect my updated thoughts.

Pours a golden caramel with a nice white head. Aroma is quite bready, floral, even a little herbal and earthy. A touch of candy orange comes out the deeper I search for it. Flavor follows suit. Crisp, medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, wanted to like it more than I did. Not bad, like I used to think, but not really my favorite. Living in a market where I can always grab an Odell IPA, I can't see myself drinking this that often. (577 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed on tap in an airport bar in Denver over 35 minutes, with and without an ahi Asian salad.

Pours a nice bright amber with a touch of haze. The egg-shell head is thin and falls fast, but lacing is resilient.

The nose is floral and sprinkled with grapefruit and the tar side of blood oranges. Not much hoppiness and no dank notes, but there is a clean breeze in its simple bouquet. Hints of lavender and honeysuckle draw me in.

The very beginning is a malty sweetness that makes it easy to gulp. Quickly, the citrus takes center stage with a bright and refreshing blend into the herbs and flowers from the nose. It's not wildly complex, but simply tasty, and very versatile. It ends bitter and leaves a roast aftertaste that blends well with foods, in addition to encouraging bigger gulps. There's a boozy edge, too, and the ethanol content is sneaky...

It's got a tall, thin posture on the tongue with added buzz of ample carbonation. But although there's not much heft, it's rightly matched to the flavor profile. I wished for some more oily length, but until the booze piles up, I find I can simply reach for the glass more frequently.

While it's not wildly complex, this brew is well-assembled and far from uninteresting. It's not only very drinkable on its own, but loves food--light, spicy, bready, and cheesy. I'd buy this one to sit alongside fun cooking ventures at home, for sure. (1,399 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a brilliant golden with a frothy, dense cream head that lingers.

Resin, citrus, pine, and earthy hops dominate the aroma. There's a fairly strong toasted malt presence, along with a slight sweetness.

Grapefruit and pine underlie a strong toasted malt backbone, finishing slightly bitter and very floral. Resin is present throughout.

Body is moderate, as is carbonation. There's slight alcohol warmth.

More malt than expected, which is favorable to me. Not the most complex hop character, but it hits a few notes. Bitterness is relatively tame. (553 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

poured 12oz bottle into snifter. Bottled 1/29/14.

A - Hazy orangish color with 1 finger white head. Shorter retention and small spotty lacing.

S - Aggressive pine aroma from NW coast hops and some dankness. Sweet caramel malts.

T - Initial piney hops up front, rather smooth bitterness, not much bite. Mild caramel malt sweetness. Finish is mostly bitter. Balanced and tasty, but not ground breaking.

M - Some carbonation with a medium body that is oily and slick.

O - Nice IPA that is somewhat normal today. If this was the IPA on tap I would certainly order it. No need to revisit in bottles. (601 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%

Served in a large (15.5 oz) brandy snifter.

A - Pours with a small, off-white head of about one finger that fades quickly. A rich amber in color with very sticky white lacing. No haze whatsoever.

S - Very floral with minimal hops. Some very subtle grapefruit and a very slight booziness, but nothing overpowering or excessive.

T - Malty on the front with the hop character gradually coming through in a very nice balance. More grapefruit here as well, though it's not very powerful. A little bit of biscuit-like quality as well. Nothing that'll blow hopheads away, but still a very tasty beer. Leaves a slight bitterness in the mouth as well as a bit of roasted malt.

M - Thin with a slight burn from the alcohol and some sharpness from the carbonation.

O - It's not the most unique IPA, but it's a very pleasant experience overall. This is my first beer from Avery Brewing. I will likely pick this up again, and am also curious about their other offerings. It's not a beer to go hunt down, but if you come across it, it's definitely worth a try. (1,052 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +5.1%

Just showed up in Wisconsin so I thought I would give it a shot and buy a 6, looks like it was bottled in late January.

Pours a clear copper, I assume this is filtered based on how crazy clear it is, half finger of white head, leaving spotty lacing.

Smell is pine, bready and biscuit malt, caramel, herbal hop, some grapefruit comes through

Taste is heavy pine, nice bready and bicuity malt, caramel and toffee, grapefruit bitterness, a few other citrus notes come through mainly lemon and orange, finishes off with piney bitterness and a doughy malt.

Mouthfeel is medium, heavy carbonation, pretty dry.

Really well crafted beer here, it reminds me of DFH 90 min just a smaller version of that (never had 60min so cant compare to that)

A lot heavier on the pine then the citrus and tropical hops. It is extremely well put together, and well I can pretty much assure you that you have tasted this one before regardless of you have had it or not. But never the less a decent beer that I will enjoy from time to time! Hope the cans hit this area, I could see my self picking this up more in cans for the beach or something. (1,126 characters)

A-pours a little hazy straw orange color with a pillowy white head with very nice retention
S-lots of pine and grapefruit with a bit of sweet biscuit in the background
T-pine dominants with some bitter grapefruit following and the dry biscuit lingering in the background
M-medium bodied with average carbonation
O-very solid American IPA, nothing out of the box but nice representation of the style (399 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a pretty solid india pale ale. It's Quite bitter with piney, and citrusy tastes which jump off your tongue as soon as it hits your taste buds. Its definitely up there on the IBU scale and I'm no expert in beer tastes, but I recommend it if you enjoy piney IPA's. (270 characters)

Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) from Avery Brewing Company