Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) - Avery Brewing Company

Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)Avery India Pale Ale (IPA)

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-08-2002

IBUs: 65
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) Alström Bros

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a orange/golden color with one finger of fluffy white head that leaves a little bit of lacing on the glass, and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of citrus hops, grapefruit, fruity malts, and light pine hops. Pleasant but not overally hoppy.

t - Tastes of grapefruit and citrus hops up front, with some definite bitterness. Also some fruity malts, pine, light spice, and light floral notes. More pine than the smell.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation, bitter up front.

d - A pretty good IPA from Avery. The taste is a bit bitter and I prefer Maharaja (even though that's a DIPA), but would drink this again. Definitely worth checking out.

4.27/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a pretty clear yellow/orange color.. nice head that stays consistent all the way to the bottom of the glass. Nice lacing too. Smell is very hoppy (moreso than most IPA's). Taste is very good.... balanced and bitter, but not too strong. One of the better IPAs I've had.. if this beer wasn't too pricey I'd have it a lot more often.. but alas it is, and I can get comprable IPA sixers for 4-5 dolalrs less.

3.65/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a vibrant amber with a thin white head that leaves some broken rings of lacing on the glass.

The smell is citric - grapefruit and orange. Some peppery alcohol is in the back.

The taste is of citrus - grapefruit and orange. Very bitter with just a nod of some sweet malt in the back end. Peppery alcohol gives it a kick. Rather astringent, with notes of soapiness and wet cardboard. Quite resiny after mid-way through.

This is a decent IPA overall, but I can't see what makes this special. It is slightly flawed and harsh. Not enough to really complain about, but enough to keep it from greatness. The citrus does shine forth, especially in the nose. It does seem to be lacking something tying it together that would improve it. As it is, it's decent, but found myself going to another IPA after one of these, though a second would be fine too.

3.15/5  rDev -18.2%

Avery "IPA"
Served on-draught into a weissbier glass. Reviewed from notes. Paired with chicken wings at a Buffalo Wild Wings in Colorado.

A: Pours a half finger head of nice cream, good thickness, and above average retention. Colour is a clear copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Pleasant floral and somewhat piney hops. Clean malts. A mild to moderate strength aroma.

T: Piney and lightly citrusy/floral hops. Clean malts provide the unobtrusive foundation. Enjoyable but limited by its simplicity. Some nice cream on the open. Crisp and pleasant, but not subtle or complex. I do like it in a general sense, but there's nothing unique or special here.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Crisp. Some nice cream. Suits the flavours pretty well, but doesn't feel custom-tailored to them. Adequately carbonated. Too wet; somewhat watery actually.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable, but far from exceptional. I like it but it misses the mark of a true balanced IPA. It's not bold or experimental. Highly priced to boot. I wouldn't get it again, but if you're looking for a decent little IPA to have with a meal, it fits the bill.

C+

3.41/5  rDev -11.4%

Dark gold in color, fairly cloudy. Thin head but very nice lace.

Fresh mowed grass was the first aroma impression I had. Hop aromas come through at the very end.

Strong bitterness up front. It fades nicely to provide a nice malt-hop blend. The swallow provides more hop punch. The carbonation is slightly high; the body is in the moderate range.

A pleasurable IPA. Worthy of purchasing a six-pack.

4.42/5  rDev +14.8%

The beer pours a nice golden color with a thick frothy offwhite head. The aroma is great. It has a nice floral hop scent laid over a complex pale malt, etc. foundation. The taste is awesome. It has a very powerful floral hop character. It overshadows it's pale malt core. It drinks easy and finishes with a very bitter dry hop aftertaste. The mouthfeel is good. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a damn fine IPA. It's full of hops, just the way I like it.

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

Light orange with a white head. The aroma is grassy and citrus hops with a little bit of biscuit malt mixed in. A well-balanced aroma. The flavor is caramel malt with some orange citrus and grassy notes mixed in. Balanced flavor with low bitterness. The beer is a very easy drinker. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.01/5  rDev +4.2%

Nice clear copper color that is crowned by a good lasting beige head. Aromas of citrus and hops waft from the glass as I pour it. A light grassy hay aroma (but only the good aspects), there is a decent amount of hop aroma to this beer. It is well carbonated, and gets quite lively when swirled in the glass. Great malt flavor that accompanies the hoppy flavor and bitterness. A malty sweet flavor with hints of biscuits and caramel malts. Quite a lingering bitterness in the finish. A good solid IPA, not quite over the top, which is good because you don't always want that. There is a ton of balanced flavors in this beer. Both the malt and hops are competing for attention, though the hops are the definite center piece. Definitely drink this beer on the warm side of cool, it allows more of the flavor to open up.

4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

07/30/05- Received via trade with Lostbearbrew.

Presentation- 120z undated bottle. Poured into my Shipyard pint glass.

Appearance- Golden-orange pour, 1/2 inch frothy head and average lacing.

Smell- Hops galore. Sweet candied hops, grapefruit hops and pine needle hops.

Taste- Another great brew! Tons of fruity and cotton candy flavored hops. Maybe a touch of pine, but mostly the sweet rot your teeth flavor hops. Mild malt background. More of a hop bomb than a perfectly balanced brew.

Mouthfeel- Average carbonation level.

Drinkability- One of the more hoppier IPA's I've had. Has a decent enough amount of malt to be just considered balanced. One of the first beers I would go to if in the mood for a hop fix.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

4.06/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Clear orange in color with a 1.5" head. Some light lacing develops on the glass through the drink. The aroma is of nice floral hops and mild citrus. The flavor consists of a nice balance of sweet malt and floral hops, rounded off with some orange zest and pepper.

The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy at the start, with a short dry bitter finish. Drinkability is high, and overall a very enjoyable IPA.

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

12 oz. bottle, with cool 15th century Eastern Hemisphere map on the label, looks like something Vasco de Gama would use,

A: Golden yellow, maybe a shade darker than a macro lager, or a pilsner, but the head is amazing, thick and white, it stays around for the whole glass, and leaves excellent lacing.

S: Smells of hops. Tangerine, grapefruit, and pineapple abound.

T: Interesting, this is a much softer IPA in the flavor of the hops department, the hop compounds definitely taste more fruity, and of more like tropical fruit and citrus than I'm used to in an average American IPA. A different take, but I like it a lot.

M: Chewy and resiny, medium-bodied.

D: A good IPA from Avery, I've had better, but a quality beer at a good price, and easy to find, I'm sold. Will please beginning IPA drinkers and hopheads alike.

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

Review from notes taken on 6/23/10.

Served in a pint at Als via the beer gas mixture. Appears a crystal clear golden yellow color with a finger of creamy white head. Very solid retension with patchy lace clinging all over the glassware. Aroma is filled with a hop combo of citrus and herbal smells. Little bit of a grainy sweetness blends throughout. The taste of this brew is bitter with herbal hops upfront. Overall a light bodied brew that is modestly carbonated. Slightly crisp drying finish. Lingering aftertate of herbs and a biscuity grain character that imparts a bit of grassiness about the hops. Quite refreshing and drinkable.

The CANQuest (TM) is rolling right along this evening, thanks to an end-of-the-school-year sigh of relief and my desire to rededicate my efforts to reviewing beers in a CAN. I bought some Avery CANs at Pinocchio's in Media and Onenote81 sent me some more, so they became the evening's focus.

From the CAN: "Hop Freaks Unite!" That reminds me - today is Flag Day and I am definitely interested in flying my Hop Freak Flag this evening. "Our IPA is an intense hop experience straight from the [CAN]! Settle back and savor the citrusy. floral bouquet and the rich, malty, yet dry finish. Brewed by hop heads, for hop heads."; "Brewed with Rocky Mountain water, malted barley, hops, and yeast." Hell, yeah!

The Crack & Glug resulted in a finger-and-a-half of rocky, tawny head that immediately began to fall, leaving sticky lacing in its wake. Color was a gorgeous golden-yellow that would have made both King Midas and Croesus envious, plus it evidenced NE-quality clarity. Nose was straight up hops, yo!

Understand, I copped for years to having a hops habit that elevated me above simple "Hop Head" status. I was given to putting hops pellets on my tongue and swigging an AAL for the rush (no lie!) and I had a hops jones at times that sent me flying into brewpubs while traveling around just to get at an IPA to quiet the chattering monkey on my back. I was following the hops reps around just to get a taste of the latest hybrid since the standards weren't getting it done. I would call in sick because I couldn't get enough hops to last me through the day. I was a sick individual until The CANQuest (TM) and its attendant steady diet of AALs and AMLs slowly weaned me off of the insidious hummus lupulin. I was cured, brothers and sisters, cured! Do you hear me? Until a night like tonight, when I let my guard down and Wham!, the monkey is right back and I am sucking down an AIPA like it is water and I am reaching for another and I ain't going in tomorrow ...

Whoa! Like, I said, nose was floral and minty/grassy and I was sent, man. Coming back down, the mouthfeel was meaningless as I just wanted the sweet, sweet taste of hops running around on my tongue and down my throat. Yeah, that's it, give it to me, baby! CAN't they just CAN hops extract for people like me? Why do I gotta go through this torture? It had a beautiful taste, grassy, minty, slightly piney and I felt like a hops virgin again. Finish was when when I sat back and started licking the lacing out of the glass. My sponsor is on his way over, but I think that it is too late. I'm filling a cooler with this, tooling over to Hops (not Skid) Row, picking up my buddies and we're going surfing on hops down at the beach. Look for us, we're the pasty guys all huddled around the cooler with our eye out for The Man.

3.87/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Big slightly off white head slowly recedes above a clear bright golden colored beer.

Light aroma of citrus fruits with maybe a tad bit of yeast sneaking in.

Light citrus and pine taste with a citrus bitter edge to it.

Dry aftertaste with some of the citrus bitter aspects sticking around pretty big time on this medium bodied IPA.

A pretty good drinking IPA that borders on the west coast style but brings its own tastes with it.

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured into a Sam Adams Sensory Glass. No freshness date.

Color is a dull carmel. Head is very fluffy and sticks around for a while leaving wonderfull lacing.

Aroma is of floral and citrus notes. Taste is quite similiar; very heavy on the floral taste.

Mouthfeel is bitter, smooth, and at the end it is bitter again. Leaves a dry taste in your mouth.

Overall,
This is a solid ipa, nice and hoppy. A great representation of the style. I would recommend this one.

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

12 ounce bottle, pours light golden amber, healthy carbonation, white head and lucious well develped lacing. Full hoppy nose. Flavor profile starts with a full jolt of grainy, resiny hops, and leads to grapefruit,honey and melon. Very dry on the tongue, luxorious in the finish. A fine hoppy, dry, crisp and satisfying american IPA. Well done and Brew on ! Avery...ah what a brewery...

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours a light, slightly cloudy golden color with a nice thick foamy off-white head that settles into a nice lacing. Has a slight hoppy aroma with hints of pine and citrus fruit. Medium bodied with a dry hoppy finish. Not as bitter or hoppy as I had hoped.

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a DHF pint glass

A: Pours a bright orange with a 2 finger head, with lacing that settles very slowly, appearing down the entire glass.

S: A nice nose with a strong citrus/grapefruit aroma with a hint of malt. Classic IPA smell.

T: Nice floral hop driven taste. A nice bitter taste that I look for in an IPA with a little malt on the back end.

M/D: Great carbonation and a nice light mouthfeel. Very drinkable. I thoroughly enjoyed this IPA and look forward to having another soon.

Avery India Pale Ale (IPA) from Avery Brewing Company