2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Mephistopheles' Stout - Avery Brewing Company

Mephistopheles' StoutMephistopheles' Stout

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  16.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mephistopheles' Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,560 | Reviews: 783 | Show All Ratings:
Sycodrummer

Poured from the 12oz. black with red foil wrapped bottle into an oversized snifter. About half the bottle in for the first sample with an aggressive pour to pull out the head and release aroma. The beer was jet black with hints of ruby near the edges. The head was one-finger of thick and creamy tan coating on top. Lots of tiny carbonation bubbles clung to the glass and the head faded quickly. A motor oil like look from the top.

The nose is very boozy with big aromas of rum and bourbon soaked dark fruit. Plum and fig coming through and a huge chocolate aroma. Lots of dark roast coffee and expresso in the nose and a hearty roasted malt aroma.

The taste hits with a big roasted flavor. A huge chocolate layer cake like moist chocolate flavors backed with strong coffee and expresso flavors. The chocolate and coffee meld very well and are backed up with a huge boozy base. This is some strong stuff. Low carbonation levels make it very brandy like, and the alcoholic warmth is intense. Half a bottle and you feel the power of the beer. As the beer warms it becomes even more boozy. This is a cold night sipper and the way, and a very good one.

Mouthfeel is big and bold, gets a little thinner with warmth, never cloying or syupy. Minimal carbonation levels, brandy like mouthfeel.

Wow, this is one big and delicious beer. Lots of nice boozy character with a huge warming. A one and done beer all the way but perfect to sit and sip. The flavors meld beautifully and although strong, it doesn't dominate in any one area to detract from the others. At 7 bucks for 12oz. it is expensive, but it is well worth it. A very very enjoyable beer.

04-07-2007 18:54:31 | More by Sycodrummer
Dmann

What a unbelievable beer! Poured motor oil black with a nice dark chocolate head and great lace on the glass. The smell was big with toasted malts, molassis, plums and a touch of hops. The taste was very big with good sweetness in the beginning, a bit of alchohol flavor in the middle and a nice slightly bitter finish leaving you wanting for more. This will taste great if aged and I bet it would taste great as part of an Imperial Stout Float with some nice vanilla bean ice cream! Try it now!

12-19-2007 10:44:45 | More by Dmann
Avagadro

Bottle claims: OG: 1,134. 16,00abv. Batch 3, bottled November 2007.

A: very thick and equally dark, Mephistopheles' pours with a head the same color as chocolate ice cream that quickly fades into patches floating atop the brew.

S: the bouquet is big and bold, with heavy notes of molasses, chocolate, vanilla, and many other enjoyable aromas.

T: wow, one of the most intense, yet, balanced brews ever! Tons of mollasses ( from the turbinado?) chocolate, licorice, coffee, vanilla... You have to try it to really understand.

M: full and creamy without being sticky, solventy, or syrupy. Impressive.

D: this is easily one of the best stouts being brewed in the US at this time. I haven't had a fresh version, but with 2 1/2 yrs on the shelf, this is fantastic. Aged at BOTW, and probably a bit at T.J. Sheehan's, this brew delivers everything a stout fan should be looking for. Definitely a must have, no matter what it takes to get it.

04-26-2010 01:44:17 | More by Avagadro
SawDog505

New Hampshire

#100 review Poured into a 20 oz Duvel tulip glass, with vigor. Pours so black, with a 4 inch mocha head with beautiful lacing, that slowly settles into bubbles. Smell is EXPRESSO, with smoked chocolate, and a touch of booze. Taste is all of that, maybe a little more boozey tickle than the smell. Roasty,Toasty, and I dig it the mosty. Mouthfeel is as good as any, with plenty of carbonation for its gigantic abv. Love the chewy body, perfect. I had 2 ozs last year at Extreme Beer Fest, with a tarnished palate and was impressed. Now having 12 OZS for my 100th review and it still amazes. Beer is almost a year old and holy s---, it still may get better with more time. I chose the perfect beer for my 100, totally in awe ....

11-13-2011 02:05:29 | More by SawDog505
brewmyster

Oregon

OK straight 5's on a beer I can only drink once in a great while.

A-black as sin, dark and sinister, so dark it makes a shadow light

S-plums,prunes,evil sweetness,coffee,fruitcake (but not in the I don't like fruitcake way)

T-OK heavenly chocolate,coffee,dark dried fruit

M-thick syrup, yet creamy and stays on the tongue

O-This is a devilish beer, all the taste you could ever want yet the high ABV is so well hidden it sneaks up on you and by then its too late. This is my abolute favorite beer though I could never drink it more than a couple time a year. Bravo Avery

02-05-2012 02:24:04 | More by brewmyster
Impfan

Washington

One of a kind Imperial Stout masterpiece. Rich roasted dark bitter chocolate, hint of cherries, molasses, canned brown bread/ burnt toast, licorice, dates, figs, rum/raisin, black coffee, brown sugar, currants, graham cracker, toffee,Kahlua/creme brulee, and a hefty dose of char. Some heat, but even that works as a catalyst to marry the disparate flavors. One of my all time favorite impys.

02-14-2012 20:15:49 | More by Impfan
SoupKitchenBeerSnob

Had to try this one out. At $8.75 a bottle I figure it must be good right? Ok, I've been burned using that logic before, but as a spoiler alert, this one was spot on. I've now reached my benchmark for stouts. Holyfuckingmotherofgod, this beer rocks! First of all, I poured this one into one of my Chimay goblets and the first thing I noticed is how this looks like the hell-spawn of motor oil and expresso with a rich, light brown head. So far, so good. Next is the deep aroma of, what? Deep, dark decadence? Don't care, I've got to taste this... I get hit with an overpowering mixture of flavors that my humble palate is incapable of describing, followed by the fumes of alcohol that run rampant through this brew. I have to finish this review so that I can savor what's left. Drink this. God commands it. Cheers!

02-21-2014 03:12:29 | More by SoupKitchenBeerSnob
ricknelson

Vermont

4.98/5  rDev +19.4%

Our group of 4 Beer Advocate members did a recent small bottle tasting of high alcohol brews.
Among the 12 brews tasted was; Mephistopheles American Double Imperial Stout from Avery.
Mephistopheles received our highest average score of the 12 brews tasted at 4.94. We had tasted
this brew once before and it took us each 15 minutes to drink the 3 ounce pour.This time it took us just 10 minutes and the brew was even better than the first time we had tasted it.
It deserves a higher BA rating.

01-27-2014 17:06:01 | More by ricknelson
tykechandler

Indiana

4.94/5  rDev +18.5%

batch 4 (nov. 2008), from bottle into tulip glass.

pours black as night, little brown head. smells like booze and brulee'd apple, maybe malted chocolate. mouthfeel is like 2% milk but fizzy, really nice actually. holy. fuck. one tiny sip and my tongue exploded with flavor, front to back. chocolate, then fig newton, then booze, then roasted caramel, then back to figs for a super looong finish. this beer is some fucking serious fucking shit. wow. overall, this is just incredible. one of the best beer experiences i've had. sipping on this shit for the next 2 hours. seek out at all costs.

01-18-2013 05:53:30 | More by tykechandler
Gehrig

4.93/5  rDev +18.2%

First, and not the last, time I've tried Mephistopheles' Stout, grabbed at the Neil St. Piccadilly. A thin finger of dark tan froth with amazing duration rests atop a deep black body. Black and nothing but black black body. Rich nose! Berry, roasted coffee, chocolate, caramel, molasses--a lush melange. The taste is full and complex. There are hints of sweetness with the berry, molasses and sugar, but they're well complemented by the somewhat bitter, roasted coffee. Splendid mouthfeel, creamy and smooth with ample carbonation, yet a bit thin, not as viscous as I would have hoped. Not paper thin, either. Despite the rush of hot alcohol late in the glass, this is one that doesn't require baby sips with the very high ABV (16.03%), in my estimation. Patience yields delicious complexity from this monstrosity, but isn't mandatory.

One outstanding Imperial Stout, high on my list and well worth the rather expensive price. One of the very best from Avery, no light praise.

07-02-2008 23:58:13 | More by Gehrig
kilik693

Oklahoma

4.93/5  rDev +18.2%

I bought a bottle of the November 2008 batch 5 in fall 2011. I aged it for a year and tried it in November 2012. I drank it out of a standard pint glass (unfortunately).

It poured a beautiful coffee color on the side of the glass, collecting into an absolutely black liquid in the glass. The head was remarkably small, a few shades lighter than a caramel color. It dissipated quickly and didn't leave much lacing.

It smelled of roasted hops and a hint of molasses.

It tasted fairly heavily of chocolate, roasted coffee and a light hint of hops. It was absolutely delicious.

It ages extremely well, and the aging mellows out the flavors quite nicely.

If you ever get a chance to pick up one of these I would recommend it whole heartedly. This is the type of beer that you only get to try a few times. I picked up one of two bottles they got into my local liquor store, and I will guarantee that if I get the chance I will be picking another one up.

11-25-2012 21:17:35 | More by kilik693
mattcrill

4.9/5  rDev +17.5%

Part of my vacation celebration

Bottle inspection: Bottled 1/06 Batch 1. OG: 1.142 ABV: 15.1%
States that it was brewed with all the usual ingredients+turbinado sugar.

Aroma: Rich dark fruits, resiny hops, and molasses.

Appearance: Pure evil in a glass. Crude motor oil-like pour. A thin tan head. Occasional carbonation streams in the body. Simply menacing.

Flavor: More molasses, licorice, maple, a firm alcohol backbone, dark fruits, and occasional cabarnet grapes.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, medium to full bodied, oily, and a dry finish.

Overall impression: Yikes! This is Avery's best IMHO. With 9 months on it, it's a World Class stout. I was skeptical b/c Avery's bigger offerings tend to be a mess (see Czar for details). This one lives up to the hype. The alcohol is well hidden behind a wall of complex flavors. Seek this one out. Highly recommended and a new all-time fave.

10-01-2006 20:53:38 | More by mattcrill
Buebie

4.9/5  rDev +17.5%

First off, this is the best beer I've had in my life.

Bottle date of November, 2007, batch 3.
Purchased this little beast at Heritage Liquore in St. Paul. Looks like I'll be going back for another bottle....

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle with red tinfoil over the neck and cap. Into a 12oz merlot glass.
Black syrupy inky liquid poured rigerously, forms a dark fluffy brown head, 2 fingers deep. Thick lace lines the glass, with excellent retention.

The smell is so intense and so diverse at the same time. Many aromas coming off this beer, its a huge aromatic brew. It changes as it warms.
First off I get black licorice, molasses, sweet malt, chocolate, mild coffee, peanut nuttienes.
Folowed by small grassy hop notes, some mild alcahol fumieness.

A swirl of the glass brings back the head. At first the bubbles are a redish black in color. Then settling to a creamy dark brown.

The taste is ohh so complex and wonderful. I have never had a beer like this, so much happening, to few of words to describe it.

I get a sweet molasses, nutty oak like character, that shifts shapes into a hazelnut. Then fades into a smokey tobacco. At the same time through all this there is a taste of amaretto/ Frangelico liquore. Some alcahol warming through the middle, that wisps away and changes shapes into a chocolatly flavor. Finish is dry and still creamy with a tinge of Frangelio sweetness.

Wow....Its so good.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy with moderate carbonation present. This is really hard to take more then a sip at a time. So much flavor, I must do this beer justice be sipping it oh-so-slowly.
You must try this beer.

06-22-2008 23:10:18 | More by Buebie
brdc

Wisconsin

4.9/5  rDev +17.5%

A few worthwhile notes before the review. This is a batch 1, bottled January 2006, kept in my cellar for nearly four years. The bottle states "only" 15.1%, less than what it is stated on the website; it either changed in following batches, or the information here is wrong.

Anyway, as I finally opened the small capped bottle and poured into my snifter, I was amazed by the thick, foamy cocoa colored head above this nearly pitch black brew, with reddish brown highlights. It is always an amazing feat to see this beautiful head in a "booze bomb".
The aroma, after 4 years is amazingly powerful; as I opened the bottle, I could already feel it, even beforte pouring. This is looking great.
Chocolate, loads of it; coffee, lightly roasted malts, lots of vanilla, and even a bourbon note (no, this is not barrel aged as far as I know; perhaps this comes from the high ABV, but it definitely there). Dark fruits, molasses.
Full bodied and creamy, and the flavor is NOT a let down after the amazing aroma. Thick, sweetish but never cloying; the bourbon heat, if never burning hot, provides the balance. Molasses, high quality chocolate, dark fruits, caramel, toffee, light coffee.
This is an amazing beer, IMHO the same overall feeling but better than Black Tuesday; and it is dangerously drinkable. I do not know if the other batches rae this good, but I have to age a case of this one. Wow; unexpected treasure.

03-12-2010 03:26:12 | More by brdc
mattgreger

Drinking this brew in honor of the birth of my first child on 4-10-11

Picked this up at Capone's Bottle Shop, the ABV on this brew states 16.4% though the ABV for review says 15.1%

Black as night, this brew is super dark. This brew couldn't get any more opaque. It poured with a huge, thick, dark brown head, which has some great retention. Not to much lacing however, but this is expected with such a high ABV brew.

From the crack of the top on this brew, I can tell I am in for an amazing brew. Before you even pour this brew you get a punch of rich, dark chocolate and a strong boozy aroma. Its huge. As it warms, this stout has strong coffee/espresso aroma, as well as some notes of what I can detect as a black liqourice. This brew has a huge character, it actually tingles the nose.

I can't even begin to express how big of stout this is. The malt profile of this brew is in the front with some great choclate flavors. Once this flavor hits you, a rush of cocoa, coffee and great alcohol punch hits the palate. Its got a smokey flavor as well. The roasted flavors of this brew, make it even more complex then I ever though. This is a man's stout, and a sure sipper. It is a belly warmer from start to finish. This is one amazing stout.

The mouthful on this brew is down right amazing. There is a low carbonation to this brew, making it super slick, almost buttery as it hits the mough. Its thick and delicious.

The drink on this brew is not for the faint of heart. I will have to say its an amazing stout. Many times I would take away points on a brew that has such a harsh ABV, but that would be taking to much away from such a great brew. This is a great brew to enjoy on a cold day, for it will warm your body from top to bottom. This is probably one of the best representations of the sytle, I have had to date. I will be sure to try some of the other limited brews by Avery Brewing Company.

04-16-2011 20:05:47 | More by mattgreger
CasanovaCummins

Nevada

4.9/5  rDev +17.5%

Now this is a heavy weight of a stout. It has body, and blends it big booziness with a lightly chocolate tinged depth that make this a viable candidate to lay down and age.

That said, I like this now. It is robust and bold and expressive. This is a bad ass stout. But I can imagine what age can do if it smooths out the edginess and deepens the flavors. You win either way.

I would call this an extreme stout. It's Bigness pushes it over the smooth level into the level of this-is-a-bit-strong-but-not-in-a-negative-way kind of stout.

Not for wusses, that's for sure. This will grow hair on your chest.

This is in my top five stouts of all time.

03-11-2012 04:11:14 | More by CasanovaCummins
BlurryVisi0n

4.9/5  rDev +17.5%

Served in a snifter. Batch No. 7 released Nov. 2011 Served on 5/01/2012.

Appearance: Black if I call it anything else I would be lying, the tan head is thick rising to roughly 2 fingers length.

Smell: Light molasses and roasted bitter chocolates.

Taste: Incredibly complex, I am so impressed I will shoot out to my local ber spot to see if I can by at least two more. Chocolate, that is bitter sweet...so tasty having one sip is not enough.

Mouth: Medium, bubbling throughout your cheeks...borderline full and no complaints.

Overall: I cracked this open after buying it a few weeks ago and I don't want to finish the bottle. I have had many and I do mean many imperial stouts and this ranks among the best, among the Dogfather, the Abyss, and Founders Breakfast plus the KBS. Treat yourself and grab 2; every real beer drinker deserves it. Salud!

05-01-2012 04:50:07 | More by BlurryVisi0n
BeerManDan

4.88/5  rDev +17%

When poured, this Stout poured thick and had the color of, black ink. The foam was a very dark tan that stayed for awhile. The smell of roasted malts, smoke and coffee filled the nose with a pleasant aroma. The taste was outstanding for a Stout with 16 percent alcohol. At first sip, I couldn't believe that there was so much flavor with the alcohol not being overbearing. The flavor of roasted malts, coffee and chocolate was very pleasing to the palate. There was also a hint of smoke flavor with a hint of a fruity finish. Well balanced, but sort of expensive for such a small bottle.

05-12-2008 04:50:54 | More by BeerManDan
TurdFurgison

4.88/5  rDev +17%

Why did I wait so long to try this beer? I guess it's because I've had so-so experience with Avery beers in the past, and also this beer is typically $8-9 per 12oz bottle. I found it for $5.99 at Kahn's in Indianapolis, and bit the bullet. The beer is black and opaque, with a thick dark tan foam. The aroma is perfect in my opinion. Tons of roasted malt, dark fruits (maybe plums or raisins), chocolate, a splash of alcohol. The taste is beyond belief, this is way better than I expected. All the aromas come through richly, this is intensely flavorful. Thick as Dark Lord too, this easily competes with Dark Lord or Batch 7000 for the best RIS I've had. Definitely ahead of Stone RIS or Abyss. as good as those are. Absolutely recommended.

07-21-2008 01:23:09 | More by TurdFurgison
plfahey

4.88/5  rDev +17%

12 oz. bottle (2008 vintage) poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Inky black hole and totally impermeable to light.Thin cap of moderately dark brown foam which has decent retention. Shows some legs due to high alcohol content.

Aroma-Burnt toast, brown bread crusts, chocolate liqueur, and a healthy dose of caramel. Rich booze, pepper, and chocolate lava cake. Background notes of burnt toffee, blackstrap molasses, and raisins. As it warms, candied plums and black licorice emerge. Don't take this wrong way, but this beer smells like sex with luscious, boozy brownie batter. Devastatingly awesome.

Flavor-Substantially different than the aroma, but still intense and awesome. Molten chocolate lava cake with fudgy, boozy chocolate liqueur. Substantial roast flavor with hints of espresso. Some peppery spice and substantial booze. Caramel is much lighter here and the dried fruit is almost entirely absent. Moderate hop bitterness in the finish blends with warming alcohol to dry out all that gooey malt sweetness. Decadent and awesome.

Mouthfeel-Viscous and chewy with moderately low carbonation and substantial alcohol warmth. No longer hot, as the age has helped to tame the alcohol.

Delicious, decadent, and awesome. Ive had this young several times and it's a bit too intense, with heavy hopping, syruppy body, and hot alcohol. However, at three years out, it's really starting to hit it's stride. It's awesome, and it will only continue to get better.

12-23-2011 07:14:26 | More by plfahey
Zraly

4.88/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

November 2011, Batch #7.

Pours like motor oil. Sharing with my girl so we are splitting it across two Westvleteren XII chalice glass (i.e., the small-ish chalices distributed with the U.S. release). Smells like smoke and Dionysus' armpit.

Tastes like an imperial stout that has been lovingly laced with Sambuca. Licorice and hard-core roasted malts, smoke, scotch-like alcohol notes. Charred barrel and vanilla. Rich, deep, raw chocolate notes that remind me of chocolate liqueur. Sweet slickness that glides down your throat. Heavy bodied and merciless in its want and need to consume your soul. Fortunately for all involved, you'll enjoy that process.

I've never had this fresh so I'm not sure how to compare it to a young version. My intuition told me to leave this one be for a while. At the very least, it is damn good now.

Bad-ass through and through. Makes me think I have chest hair. I'm sure you could pair this with something but...why bother?

12-14-2013 01:09:57 | More by Zraly
SheepNutz

Kentucky

4.85/5  rDev +16.3%

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter. It pours a midnight black color with one finger of dark tan head. There isn't much lacing around. The smell has lots going on. There's roasted malt, raisins, cherries, alcohol, figs, espresso, and the slightest hint of chocolate. I want cologne that smells like this (oh yeah, my beer-hating fiancee would LOVE that!). The taste is equally as awesome, just chock full of flavor. There's more burnt malt than you can handle, and raisins are all over the place. More chocolate going on, and some coffee as well. For a 15% plus beer, you'd think there's lots of alcohol in taste, but you're wrong! The mouthfeel is as thick as you can get, right below 5W-30 methinks. The drinkability is deadly, just insane. My hat's off to Kev for sharing this gem.

05-04-2006 23:08:29 | More by SheepNutz
N3rdM3t4l

Oregon

4.85/5  rDev +16.3%

12oz bottle poured into standard pint. 2009 vintage

A: Black as night with a finger of milk chocolate colored head. Really bubbly head not very sticky.

S: The moment I opened the bottle I was assaulted with STRONG chocolate aroma! Chocolate and licorice on the nose. Something I can't identify in there too that just smells rich. This beer smells creamy.

T: WOW, just like the nose this beer STRONG in chocolate and licorice. Deep roasted malt and no hops until the very end. Even then the hops is so light that you hardly taste it over the alcohol burn and chocolate goodness. The alcohol in this badboy burnt me three times. A little numbing in the sip, a throat burning swallow, and it burns all the way down. Normally I am not a fan of alcohol flavor but this thing is so wicked good.

M: Thick and rich. Surprisingly thick for how much alcohol is in this. Very much an imperial stout. Feels great!

O: WOW I love this beer!. But something named after a fallen angel HAS to be good. And this thing is GOOD!

03-19-2012 20:41:48 | More by N3rdM3t4l
charlzm

4.83/5  rDev +15.8%

Consumed on 07/11/07.

Batch 2 - November 2006. 16.03% ABV.

Astonishing.

Pours thick and oily with a decent head. Scents of chocolate and coffee. Black as night.

From the first sip, you know this one is not to be taken lightly. YOU MUST LET THIS BEER WARM UP! A full Nelson on the palate with plums and raisins, roasty malt lurking behind well-balanced bitterness and similarly subtle alcohol warmth.

As the beer warmed slightly, its flavor changed and improved with every few degrees. "Crafty shape shifter", indeed!

One of the best beers I have ever had, and probably ought to be the last of the evening.

03-01-2008 03:01:18 | More by charlzm
thespaceman

Connecticut

4.83/5  rDev +15.8%

Bottled in 2006, Batch #2 - Purchased for $2.99 in Connecticut from RayMcCukser - thanks Ray!

Appearance: Huge tan billowing head sits atop a sea of motor oil black liquid. Very opaque - but beatiful in the same sense. This head comes with excellent retention and minimal lacing.

Smell: I can sense I am in for a doozy. I get dark espresso, black liqourice, rich dark chocolate and some alcohol. What a huge aroma! I felt like my noise hairs got singed once I took a whiff. Very big in the aroma department as it should be with a stout of this type of character.

Taste: Holy crap this is a huge stout. Chocolate flavors burst behind a toasted malt profile, a bit buttery and reserved. Coffee bean, bits of cocoa, and a nice representation of alcohol are enough to satisfy this palete. Very smokey in the same note, I get lots of dark ester notes in this finish that really cap off one of the best stouts I've had the pleasure of trieing. Not for the faint at heart, as this one really warms up your stomach after a couple of sips. This is the type of beer you can turn your non-beer drinking, "hard alcohol" friend into actually liking beer. Big bodied, bold and exciting.

Mouthfeel: Extra slick while rolling on the tongue, low carbonation here, thick and juicy. This one could sit on your tongue all day and still stay in tact.

Drinkability: I was lucky enough to get this for only $2.99 in Connecticut, I may have to stock these up now and keep them for the winter like a squarell saving nuts. I couldn't even imagine enjoying this beer on a cold winter night in front of the fire, it would probably be pure ecstacy. But even in the dead of summer, this is hands down the best stout I've had the pleasure of having. The dynamics of this beer supercede anything I've had, the dark roasty flavors paired with the high ABV and slick mouthfeel make this my new go-to stout. If your lucky enough to get this as cheap as I did (Samael's & Grand Cru were only $2.99 as well.. go figure!) don't think twice. Even if it's $10.99 - this is a stout that's worth all the money!

07-15-2009 03:24:22 | More by thespaceman