Mephistopheles' Stout - Avery Brewing Company

Mephistopheles' StoutMephistopheles' Stout

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  16.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mephistopheles' Stout Alström Bros

Jrsaltz, Jan 21, 2012

AustinBrooks, Jul 07, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -64.1%

ShanePB, Aug 30, 2013
1.85/5  rDev -55.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

12oz bottle, served in a mini snifter
Batch 4, Bottled in Nov 2008
Sampled 01JAN13

[A] On the pour, 1 solid finger of creamy and compact head is formed. The color is medium brown and the retention is excellent. The body is as black as black gets. Minimal lacing.

[S] Sweet, boozy alcohol dominates the nose. Magic marker, caramel, badly burnt sugars, perhaps some dark chocolate and very mild roast.

[T] Wow, that is A LOT of heat. I can't imagine that this mellowed out - even a little bit - over the last 4 years. It literally tastes like 30+% ABV. Exact same flavors as aromas. Harsh and hard to deal with.

[M] Smooth texture but flabby body. The high octane ABV and aging is probably at fault for the semi-thin body. And the intense sweetness begs for some bitterness to offset.

[O] Obnoxiously alcoholic on the nose, abrasively hot on the palate, and just downright irresponsibly sweet at every stage. Approaching 16%, Mephistopheles' is quite a brewing feat, but this beer is just too darn big to enjoy. I have no interest in finishing this.

FeDUBBELFIST, Feb 16, 2013
1.88/5  rDev -55%

Thanks to Hotterthanhell for the Flasche!

Where to start where to start...

This beers is somebody's brainchild and I wont knock anyone for trying something but this has nothing to do with being creative its all about one upping someone or a pissing contest. I have no idea which but the beer suffers.

Color as black as night with a thin head creamy head that doesn't stick around too long. I would have expected less head when considering the amount of alcohol. The aroma was upfront nothing other the warming effect of the alcohols begging to be released from the brew. Dark roasted grain with hints of toffee and coffee aromas. Background is fruity and estery. After sipping this beer for a couple of minutes (this can not be drunk as one would any other beer and shouldn't be I assume) I realized a very nice beer had been buried in an uncomplimentary amount of alcohol. What a shame! What I could make out was pleasant but robbed by a biting alcohol. In the end I could only see it as a Molasses liqueur. Thin it out and make it drinkable and it would be very nice. As is, it's not drinkable and has no beer qualities at all. Sam Adams tried this same shit too and was as bad.... Come on back earth people!!!

Zum Wohl!

Ungespundet, Apr 20, 2009
1.88/5  rDev -55%

Shared a 12oz bottle with the bar owner at Amsterdam Bar.
A-Nice heavy stout, dark, very little transparency
S-Very sweet smell with little to no apparent desires to conceal the alcohol. Some malty and caramel smells break through in the sniffer.
T-A heavy stout to conquer. Had lots of coffee and dark chocolates mixed in there, very complex.
M-Not easy on the tongue, wakens your palette than kills it with alcohol.
D-If I didn't have only half a bottle this would have been a drain pour. Alcohol over powered the taste and made every sip a challenge.

ballewblake, Jan 13, 2008
1.98/5  rDev -52.6%

this one came from batch 3 in Nov 07 drank one year later

A: inky black with just less than half an inch of almost amber foam which lingers for a minute or two

S: allspice, coffee, prunes and alcohol

T: Hot on the palate even when chilled. Very unbalanced with overbearing, unrefined brandy presence, obfuscating any subtleties which may be present. There is a roasted, bitter, espresso and currant flavor that rolls off the palate at the end of each sip

M: Syrupy and slick

D: punishing
4 or 5 sips was all I could take

I had to drink a glass of white wine to cleanse myself after I poured out the remaining 2/3 bottle of this

very appropriate name but definitely a novelty brew to me

truly living up to the image it projects may be its greatest accomplishment

true evil

eddiebo, Nov 12, 2008

skholbrook1982, Mar 15, 2014

chrispoint, Feb 18, 2012

eerbayman, Nov 15, 2011
2.1/5  rDev -49.8%

A - Black ichor with a one finger espresso brown head, which lasts only a minute or two. A thin ring of lace is all that is left behind and quickly that sinks to join the rest of the brew.

S - Chocolate, candied sugars, black licorice, molasses and dates. Pretty strong and nice. No alcohol detectable, which is a real shock. Edit, closer to room temp alcohol is all that I can smell.

T - At first it is extremely, extremely sweet. It actually tastes a lot like cola. There is a bit of chocolate and clack licorice with that too. Then the flavor turns to a faint coffee, burnt malt and pine hop bitterness.. This is one of the few beers I have had that I would actually call cloying. There have been some close calls, but this is definitely over-the-top cloying. I don't drink soda because it is too sweet, but compared to this, a soda is nothing. There is just too much sugar here (and not a whole lot of flavor through that). I am not sure if this is unfermentable sugar or if they didn't let it sit long enough. The only plus here is that I can't detect the alcohol. Granted it is masked by an opressive amount of sugars . . .

M - Thick (it isn't chewy though). Syrup globs to the roof of my mouth and sides of my throat. The alcohol is potent enough to create a bit of a drying affect. Too sweet to efresh as well. I almost need a chaser. Basically, not too great.

D - Poor. I honestly can't remember the last time I had trouble finishing a stout. If I want a syrupy sweet high alcohol brew, I will drink a rum and coke. This isn't how a stout should taste. I will say what I always do though when I drink a crazy beer like this. Keep it up! I like trying strange beers even if I don't particularly like them. Honestly, I am treating this like shots at this point, the cloying naute of the flavor is that intense. I am going to finish it, but I can't really enjoy this flavor much.

mrasskicktastic, Oct 12, 2006
2.13/5  rDev -49%

Poured a dark brown hue with a two finger thick caramel head. Decent head retention and lacing.

The smell was extremely sweet with a strong alcohol presence. There were also traces of coffee.

The taste was sugary sweet. In fact much too sweet for my liking. I could tell there was quite a bit of complexity, but the excessive sweetness inhibited the full appreciation of this. I could detect, however, coffee, caramel, corn syrup. I could taste the sugar on my lips after I put the glass down.

The mouthfeel was full but the sweetness put this fullness over the edge. Not a good mouthfeel.

I had a hard time finishing this one - overly sweet and high ABV.

plaid75, Apr 28, 2006
2.15/5  rDev -48.6%

January 2006 batch poured into a tulip glass. Very, very black in color. I got a decent head which surprised me given the high alcohol; I thought higher ABV = less head. It smells sugary and roasted. The taste is cloyingly sweet and almost meaty. I just cannot get past the sweetness I did not like this stout at all, I would much prefer a Storm King, Old Rasputin, or a Stone IRS. I can’t believe I dropped seven bucks on a 12oz bottle of this stuff although I should be glad its not a bomber. I saw a poster at the liquor store advertising a new batch of this stuff with an ABV of 16%, yuck.

ArrogantB, Dec 03, 2006

matjack85, Feb 12, 2013

Epitha, Aug 07, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -46.2%

I don't generally review beers anymore. But this one begs for a review. Bottled Nov. '06. Somebody decided to make the biggest, baddest beer on the block. They may have succeeded with baddest, as in worstest. I love Avery--they do amazing things. And I get where this is coming from and there may be some people who can appreciate this. But I cannot. This is not what beer is about nor what it is supposed to be. Beer should be enjoyable. This is not. This is a "mine is bigger than yours!" cockfight. I don't enjoy a cockfight in my mouth.
It IS beautiful. I'm still amazed by the red in the head and lacing. Soo dark and opaque. I love that. But then it smells like pure soy sauce. Tastes like equal parts soy sauce, molasses, and grain alcohol. That doesn't taste good. The 97% dark chocolate bar taste is interesting, though.
I'm glad I tried it. I didn't finish my glass. I wouldn't buy it again. Even three years couldn't tame it. Maybe it needs twenty. Waste of a lot of grain, if you ask me.

andythejerk, Jun 06, 2009
2.35/5  rDev -43.8%

Appearance: Mephistopheles' stout pours close to pitch black with almost a finger of super dark tan head. It reduces down pretty quickly to very little head.

Smell: Dark roasted malts, coffee and a bit of fig and other dark fruits. A lot of booziness and soy sauce that really overshadows everything else.

Taste: Dark roasted malts and coffee are overshadowed by a ton of booziness and saltiness. Weird aftertaste too, a lot like soy sauce. I wouldn't call this enjoyable at all.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This beer is heavy bodied, with smooth mouthfeel and carbonation. Overall this beer is a mess of booze and soy sauce. I couldn't get through a 12oz bottle.

zhanson88, Dec 08, 2010
2.38/5  rDev -43.1%

12 oz bottle purchased from Buy Rite on Oak Tree in South Plainfield for $8.99... This is the last of three beers that I've sampled from Avery's "Big Beer" series, and as with Samael's and The Beast, this one was way too intense and over-the-top to be an enjoyable brew... Nice engine-oil, jet-black appearance led to a nose replete with roasted malts, licorice, brandy, and alcohol... the taste was more than extreme, with a strong burst of sweet candy, rum, brandy, liquor, and powerful alcohol... way too intense and sweet to be perceived as an enjoyable and drinkable brew... I should have learned my lesson from Avery's other two big beers before I shelled out $8.99 for this one... the taste was loaded with a strong, cloying liquor essence and the alcohol burned my throat and tongue... really wouldn't recommend this one... Can't say I'd vouch for this one...

dsa7783, Feb 17, 2008
2.4/5  rDev -42.6%

Appearance: pours a dark black color with a 1" head that lasted quite a while for a high alcohol bomb.

Smell: tons of brown sugar sweetness and strong alcohol.

Taste: alcohol is way up front, thick roasted malts, raisins, licorice, soft bitter dark chocolate tones, and loads (too much) brown sugar sweetness. This was way over the edge for a big stout and personally I did not find it enjoyable, neither did the wife. The alcohol dominates, and the sugary sweetness is too much. It did not improve as it warmed either.

Mouthfeel: heavy, smooth and syrupy throughout. The finish was long on the alcohol and annoying sweetness.

Drinkability: extremely slow sipper, and I can't call this one impressive as some have. This is a brew I would like to try 5 years down the road to see how it ages. This is not for me.

Gavage, May 17, 2006
2.4/5  rDev -42.6%

12oz bottled in January '06, batch #1. Purchased at Merchant's in Dearborn.

Black under two fingers of light brown. Rather noisy as the alcohol seems to chew down the head but it's taking it's time to do so. For such a high abv, the head is showing good retention with the webby lacework of a beer that has half the abv.

The nose is sweet and alcoholic with some coffee, burnt caramel and smoke in the back. Big and bold and it's nice to smell something other than alcohol.

Alcohol dominates the taste. Big jolt upfront paired with a cloying sweetness. The roasted flavors come through in the finish and aftertaste. Roasted espresso, caramel, and something close to teriyaki mixed with BBQ sauce. Fucking weird. To sweet, like it was dosed with the orange syrup that is used in Italian ices or even half a shot of Triple Sec. My taste buds are numbed by the third sip. This beer is all over the place and way off balance.

After the burn, the mouth is very oily with plenty of slick residuals. Too much syrup. If I buy another I will get a post hole digger and bury it in the yard for ten years before drinking this again.

What started off as a fun ride took a turn for the worse and went horribly wrong. A example of when not to do an extreme beer.

ypsifly, Mar 08, 2006
2.4/5  rDev -42.6%

Appearance: Pours an inky black, viscous body with a creamy-looking, beige head.

Smell: Dark malt aroma of roasted grain and burnt sorghum. Hints of dark fruits and soy sauce.

Taste: Severely sweet with only a hint of chocolate. Some hop bitterness and an ashen roastiness struggle to get around the candylike sweetness. The glaringly unbalanced finish is sweet and burning, with the alcohol being very apparent.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body. Mild carbonation. Syrupy texture.

Drinkability: Well, I guess you could say, it doesn't get any SWEETER (or more alcoholic) than this!

ChainGangGuy, Sep 02, 2007
2.45/5  rDev -41.4%

Pours like 10W-30 motor oil. Thick, thick, black black with a thin tight tan head. Looks damn good. Unfortunately, the old addage "You cant judge a book by its cover" rings true, as I soon found out.

Aroma: Smells really boozy, with rum soaked dates or raisins. Slight oakiness or vanilla aroma as well. Theres alot going on here, but its a bit overshadowed by the booziness.

taste: Super duper sweet. Like powdered sugar. Lots of alcohol in the taste. After 2 sips, Im not a big fan. Like an imperial stout with some sort of sugary, fruity syrup added to it, along with a shot of rum. I dont know If Ill be able to finish this one. I put the sweetness in the cloying category. Feels as thick on the palate as it poured. Heavy, oily coating in the mouth. Very slight coffee/toffee/oak notes mingle throughout, but the sweetness is overbearing and too dominating.

I can see why some people might like this one, but aside from this single bottle I was talked into buying, I wont be revisiting this one again. Ever.

wingnutter, Mar 19, 2006