2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Mephistopheles' Stout - Avery Brewing Company

Mephistopheles' StoutMephistopheles' Stout

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  16.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mephistopheles' Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,559 | Reviews: 783 | Show All Ratings:
FeDUBBELFIST

1.85/5  rDev -55.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

12oz bottle, served in a mini snifter
Batch 4, Bottled in Nov 2008
Sampled 01JAN13

[A] On the pour, 1 solid finger of creamy and compact head is formed. The color is medium brown and the retention is excellent. The body is as black as black gets. Minimal lacing.

[S] Sweet, boozy alcohol dominates the nose. Magic marker, caramel, badly burnt sugars, perhaps some dark chocolate and very mild roast.

[T] Wow, that is A LOT of heat. I can't imagine that this mellowed out - even a little bit - over the last 4 years. It literally tastes like 30+% ABV. Exact same flavors as aromas. Harsh and hard to deal with.

[M] Smooth texture but flabby body. The high octane ABV and aging is probably at fault for the semi-thin body. And the intense sweetness begs for some bitterness to offset.

[O] Obnoxiously alcoholic on the nose, abrasively hot on the palate, and just downright irresponsibly sweet at every stage. Approaching 16%, Mephistopheles' is quite a brewing feat, but this beer is just too darn big to enjoy. I have no interest in finishing this.

02-16-2013 13:25:05 | More by FeDUBBELFIST
ballewblake

1.88/5  rDev -54.9%

Shared a 12oz bottle with the bar owner at Amsterdam Bar.
A-Nice heavy stout, dark, very little transparency
S-Very sweet smell with little to no apparent desires to conceal the alcohol. Some malty and caramel smells break through in the sniffer.
T-A heavy stout to conquer. Had lots of coffee and dark chocolates mixed in there, very complex.
M-Not easy on the tongue, wakens your palette than kills it with alcohol.
D-If I didn't have only half a bottle this would have been a drain pour. Alcohol over powered the taste and made every sip a challenge.

01-13-2008 16:44:27 | More by ballewblake
Ungespundet

Germany

1.88/5  rDev -54.9%

Thanks to Hotterthanhell for the Flasche!

Where to start where to start...

This beers is somebody's brainchild and I wont knock anyone for trying something but this has nothing to do with being creative its all about one upping someone or a pissing contest. I have no idea which but the beer suffers.

Color as black as night with a thin head creamy head that doesn't stick around too long. I would have expected less head when considering the amount of alcohol. The aroma was upfront nothing other the warming effect of the alcohols begging to be released from the brew. Dark roasted grain with hints of toffee and coffee aromas. Background is fruity and estery. After sipping this beer for a couple of minutes (this can not be drunk as one would any other beer and shouldn't be I assume) I realized a very nice beer had been buried in an uncomplimentary amount of alcohol. What a shame! What I could make out was pleasant but robbed by a biting alcohol. In the end I could only see it as a Molasses liqueur. Thin it out and make it drinkable and it would be very nice. As is, it's not drinkable and has no beer qualities at all. Sam Adams tried this same shit too and was as bad.... Come on back earth people!!!

Zum Wohl!

04-20-2009 08:05:37 | More by Ungespundet
eddiebo

1.98/5  rDev -52.5%

this one came from batch 3 in Nov 07 drank one year later

A: inky black with just less than half an inch of almost amber foam which lingers for a minute or two

S: allspice, coffee, prunes and alcohol

T: Hot on the palate even when chilled. Very unbalanced with overbearing, unrefined brandy presence, obfuscating any subtleties which may be present. There is a roasted, bitter, espresso and currant flavor that rolls off the palate at the end of each sip

M: Syrupy and slick

D: punishing
4 or 5 sips was all I could take

I had to drink a glass of white wine to cleanse myself after I poured out the remaining 2/3 bottle of this

very appropriate name but definitely a novelty brew to me

truly living up to the image it projects may be its greatest accomplishment

true evil

11-12-2008 04:17:26 | More by eddiebo
mrasskicktastic

2.1/5  rDev -49.6%

A - Black ichor with a one finger espresso brown head, which lasts only a minute or two. A thin ring of lace is all that is left behind and quickly that sinks to join the rest of the brew.

S - Chocolate, candied sugars, black licorice, molasses and dates. Pretty strong and nice. No alcohol detectable, which is a real shock. Edit, closer to room temp alcohol is all that I can smell.

T - At first it is extremely, extremely sweet. It actually tastes a lot like cola. There is a bit of chocolate and clack licorice with that too. Then the flavor turns to a faint coffee, burnt malt and pine hop bitterness.. This is one of the few beers I have had that I would actually call cloying. There have been some close calls, but this is definitely over-the-top cloying. I don't drink soda because it is too sweet, but compared to this, a soda is nothing. There is just too much sugar here (and not a whole lot of flavor through that). I am not sure if this is unfermentable sugar or if they didn't let it sit long enough. The only plus here is that I can't detect the alcohol. Granted it is masked by an opressive amount of sugars . . .

M - Thick (it isn't chewy though). Syrup globs to the roof of my mouth and sides of my throat. The alcohol is potent enough to create a bit of a drying affect. Too sweet to efresh as well. I almost need a chaser. Basically, not too great.

D - Poor. I honestly can't remember the last time I had trouble finishing a stout. If I want a syrupy sweet high alcohol brew, I will drink a rum and coke. This isn't how a stout should taste. I will say what I always do though when I drink a crazy beer like this. Keep it up! I like trying strange beers even if I don't particularly like them. Honestly, I am treating this like shots at this point, the cloying naute of the flavor is that intense. I am going to finish it, but I can't really enjoy this flavor much.

10-12-2006 18:42:45 | More by mrasskicktastic
plaid75

2.13/5  rDev -48.9%

Poured a dark brown hue with a two finger thick caramel head. Decent head retention and lacing.

The smell was extremely sweet with a strong alcohol presence. There were also traces of coffee.

The taste was sugary sweet. In fact much too sweet for my liking. I could tell there was quite a bit of complexity, but the excessive sweetness inhibited the full appreciation of this. I could detect, however, coffee, caramel, corn syrup. I could taste the sugar on my lips after I put the glass down.

The mouthfeel was full but the sweetness put this fullness over the edge. Not a good mouthfeel.

I had a hard time finishing this one - overly sweet and high ABV.

04-28-2006 02:21:49 | More by plaid75
ArrogantB

Colorado

2.15/5  rDev -48.4%

January 2006 batch poured into a tulip glass. Very, very black in color. I got a decent head which surprised me given the high alcohol; I thought higher ABV = less head. It smells sugary and roasted. The taste is cloyingly sweet and almost meaty. I just cannot get past the sweetness I did not like this stout at all, I would much prefer a Storm King, Old Rasputin, or a Stone IRS. I can’t believe I dropped seven bucks on a 12oz bottle of this stuff although I should be glad its not a bomber. I saw a poster at the liquor store advertising a new batch of this stuff with an ABV of 16%, yuck.

12-03-2006 03:00:49 | More by ArrogantB
andythejerk

Utah

2.25/5  rDev -46%

I don't generally review beers anymore. But this one begs for a review. Bottled Nov. '06. Somebody decided to make the biggest, baddest beer on the block. They may have succeeded with baddest, as in worstest. I love Avery--they do amazing things. And I get where this is coming from and there may be some people who can appreciate this. But I cannot. This is not what beer is about nor what it is supposed to be. Beer should be enjoyable. This is not. This is a "mine is bigger than yours!" cockfight. I don't enjoy a cockfight in my mouth.
It IS beautiful. I'm still amazed by the red in the head and lacing. Soo dark and opaque. I love that. But then it smells like pure soy sauce. Tastes like equal parts soy sauce, molasses, and grain alcohol. That doesn't taste good. The 97% dark chocolate bar taste is interesting, though.
I'm glad I tried it. I didn't finish my glass. I wouldn't buy it again. Even three years couldn't tame it. Maybe it needs twenty. Waste of a lot of grain, if you ask me.

06-06-2009 06:01:01 | More by andythejerk
zhanson88

2.35/5  rDev -43.6%

Appearance: Mephistopheles' stout pours close to pitch black with almost a finger of super dark tan head. It reduces down pretty quickly to very little head.

Smell: Dark roasted malts, coffee and a bit of fig and other dark fruits. A lot of booziness and soy sauce that really overshadows everything else.

Taste: Dark roasted malts and coffee are overshadowed by a ton of booziness and saltiness. Weird aftertaste too, a lot like soy sauce. I wouldn't call this enjoyable at all.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This beer is heavy bodied, with smooth mouthfeel and carbonation. Overall this beer is a mess of booze and soy sauce. I couldn't get through a 12oz bottle.

12-08-2010 15:23:59 | More by zhanson88
dsa7783

2.38/5  rDev -42.9%

12 oz bottle purchased from Buy Rite on Oak Tree in South Plainfield for $8.99... This is the last of three beers that I've sampled from Avery's "Big Beer" series, and as with Samael's and The Beast, this one was way too intense and over-the-top to be an enjoyable brew... Nice engine-oil, jet-black appearance led to a nose replete with roasted malts, licorice, brandy, and alcohol... the taste was more than extreme, with a strong burst of sweet candy, rum, brandy, liquor, and powerful alcohol... way too intense and sweet to be perceived as an enjoyable and drinkable brew... I should have learned my lesson from Avery's other two big beers before I shelled out $8.99 for this one... the taste was loaded with a strong, cloying liquor essence and the alcohol burned my throat and tongue... really wouldn't recommend this one... Can't say I'd vouch for this one...

02-17-2008 22:34:54 | More by dsa7783
ypsifly

2.4/5  rDev -42.4%

12oz bottled in January '06, batch #1. Purchased at Merchant's in Dearborn.

Black under two fingers of light brown. Rather noisy as the alcohol seems to chew down the head but it's taking it's time to do so. For such a high abv, the head is showing good retention with the webby lacework of a beer that has half the abv.

The nose is sweet and alcoholic with some coffee, burnt caramel and smoke in the back. Big and bold and it's nice to smell something other than alcohol.

Alcohol dominates the taste. Big jolt upfront paired with a cloying sweetness. The roasted flavors come through in the finish and aftertaste. Roasted espresso, caramel, and something close to teriyaki mixed with BBQ sauce. Fucking weird. To sweet, like it was dosed with the orange syrup that is used in Italian ices or even half a shot of Triple Sec. My taste buds are numbed by the third sip. This beer is all over the place and way off balance.

After the burn, the mouth is very oily with plenty of slick residuals. Too much syrup. If I buy another I will get a post hole digger and bury it in the yard for ten years before drinking this again.

What started off as a fun ride took a turn for the worse and went horribly wrong. A example of when not to do an extreme beer.

03-08-2006 04:39:18 | More by ypsifly
Gavage

2.4/5  rDev -42.4%

Appearance: pours a dark black color with a 1" head that lasted quite a while for a high alcohol bomb.

Smell: tons of brown sugar sweetness and strong alcohol.

Taste: alcohol is way up front, thick roasted malts, raisins, licorice, soft bitter dark chocolate tones, and loads (too much) brown sugar sweetness. This was way over the edge for a big stout and personally I did not find it enjoyable, neither did the wife. The alcohol dominates, and the sugary sweetness is too much. It did not improve as it warmed either.

Mouthfeel: heavy, smooth and syrupy throughout. The finish was long on the alcohol and annoying sweetness.

Drinkability: extremely slow sipper, and I can't call this one impressive as some have. This is a brew I would like to try 5 years down the road to see how it ages. This is not for me.

05-17-2006 11:43:09 | More by Gavage
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

2.4/5  rDev -42.4%

Appearance: Pours an inky black, viscous body with a creamy-looking, beige head.

Smell: Dark malt aroma of roasted grain and burnt sorghum. Hints of dark fruits and soy sauce.

Taste: Severely sweet with only a hint of chocolate. Some hop bitterness and an ashen roastiness struggle to get around the candylike sweetness. The glaringly unbalanced finish is sweet and burning, with the alcohol being very apparent.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body. Mild carbonation. Syrupy texture.

Drinkability: Well, I guess you could say, it doesn't get any SWEETER (or more alcoholic) than this!

09-02-2007 18:56:26 | More by ChainGangGuy
wingnutter

2.45/5  rDev -41.2%

Pours like 10W-30 motor oil. Thick, thick, black black with a thin tight tan head. Looks damn good. Unfortunately, the old addage "You cant judge a book by its cover" rings true, as I soon found out.

Aroma: Smells really boozy, with rum soaked dates or raisins. Slight oakiness or vanilla aroma as well. Theres alot going on here, but its a bit overshadowed by the booziness.

taste: Super duper sweet. Like powdered sugar. Lots of alcohol in the taste. After 2 sips, Im not a big fan. Like an imperial stout with some sort of sugary, fruity syrup added to it, along with a shot of rum. I dont know If Ill be able to finish this one. I put the sweetness in the cloying category. Feels as thick on the palate as it poured. Heavy, oily coating in the mouth. Very slight coffee/toffee/oak notes mingle throughout, but the sweetness is overbearing and too dominating.

I can see why some people might like this one, but aside from this single bottle I was talked into buying, I wont be revisiting this one again. Ever.

03-19-2006 04:08:50 | More by wingnutter
AndoBrew

Georgia

2.5/5  rDev -40%

*did not like would not buy*

pours a nice nice dark with garnet (is that how you spell that deep ruby stone??)) hints looks thick.. nice tan 1 finger head

smells like rasins and hints of choco.. and little SMALL whiffs of booze sweet booze, suprised .. kinda a mild smell, thought it would be scary honestly.. like the bottle I guess I wish it had more of a richness to the nose..just me

the nose was better right before the first beer went in my mouth, had some of that syrupy soy smell

then the beer went into my mouth... it was good and intresting, then it hit my throat and the 15% said hello with an alarming sting., the smell tricked me, I will re group and line up for a 2nd sip...eh ehm..

a smaller sip, sweet, dark fruits, SWEET, suprisingly so.. no dark earthy choco, no roasty toasty black malts, really sweet..some tasty darks way after the finish in the back of the throat, the booze flavor and throat feel is huge, over powering..

by the 3rd sip I am getting more imune to the booze shock, the mouth calms down and just accepts it.. still sweet, not as.. and a lil more dark stout type flavors start to finally peak out

by now the head is leaving thick lace on the walls of the glass that look like the crema from a very well made espresso shot, tan with a reddish hue to it, looks yummy!!

I am still not going to score taste yet, need to keep sippin, so far I can say I like the after taste more than the taste.. but in my book that does not count.

I think this may not be a good one for me, I like the mouthfeel and the way it looks in the glass, I am not takin by the nose on it

ok I have enough to close...

I DO like the taste of good booze, I like scotch neat, and other strong powerful flavors, 15% is no big deal compared to 40% so I am in no way takin and tricked by what I see as this beers gimick, I do not find it overly drinkable or enjoyable, I do not think it is complex or rich (things I crave from my beloved big stouts) I have found some dry choco. hints in the finish mixed with SOME tosty dark maltness but mostly it is SWEET and unbalanced..

I GOT IT!! It tastes like I am drinking a brown sugar dark rum, you know how raw brown sugar has some musty earthyness to it but is really just and odd sweet dark flavor?? WELL thats what this is, with a booze throat added to it and a small hint of stout beer flavors 1 min after each sip

this is a no go for me, I will gladly age my other bottles to see what happens to all this sweetnes. I can see that some would like it, cause some people like boozy brown suger, Just not me..

Thank you to Avery for making a new beer and moving the world of craft beer foward, we cant grow if we dont try.

(in an edit I am adding, just to be clear. This is not a bad beer. I did finish it, Its just not good for me, for all the reasons above. : )

08-07-2006 05:26:26 | More by AndoBrew
TerryW

Ontario (Canada)

2.53/5  rDev -39.3%

This is a fascinating beer, but just too extreme for my tastes.

To begin with, it looks magnificent. Dark and oily with a substantial head that takes its time to settle out. Gives up wispy lace early on. Beautiful to look at.

Nose is boozy and slightly sweet, with oak and vanilla and sweet dak fruit. Lots of interesting aromas happening in the glass, but the sweetness warns of what's to come.

This beer drinks a lot like like a coffee liqueur, but with a drier more bitter backbone. I found the sweetness just too overbearing and unsubtle. You can sip at this one, but I'm not sure you'd want to knock it back fast and hard. Too much syrup, too much alcohol, overwhelm the more interesting characteristics of this beer. Extreme.

03-25-2006 05:58:33 | More by TerryW
Winter

Wisconsin

2.53/5  rDev -39.3%

I was really looking forward to trying this. I've had some really good beers from Avery in the past and was eager to taste their take on an American Double Stout. Attractive black metallic label show a black demon (presumably Mephistopheles) with silver highlights and piecing red/yellow eyes. Very cool.

The stout pours black in color with a thick creamy tan head. Impressive for a stout of its strength (16.03% listed). At that strength, usually you're lucky to generate any sort of head and this stuck around for awhile.

Vinous aroma, although there's something amiss about it... I can't quire describe it. There's also dark fruit (cherries) and plenty of alcohol. Feint caramel emerges past the alcohol.

The mouthfeel is full-bodied. First sip of this powerful brew is awkward. It's very, very boozy and not balanced at all. Any sort of stout flavors (chocolate, roasted malt, caramel) are all kicked to the background by the alcohol. This one is hot. I can sort of make out some dark fruit and murky malt, but it's not flavorful at all. Sadly, even if this was laid down for awhile, and trust me, this could sit for a LONG while. I'm not sure if it would actually improve at all. There's just nothing in the background that emerges where even if the alcohol mellowed, what would come through, wouldn't necessarily be worth waiting for.

This was a disappointment, lacking in flavor and overpowered by the alcohol. It just didn't blend very well with the rest of the flavors that may have been intended here.

04-15-2007 16:47:11 | More by Winter
largadeer

November 2007 bottle.

Appearance - Black and syrupy with a modest tan-colored head. Even the appearance is somewhat imposing.

Smell - Chocolate and raisins, burnt toast, molasses and sharp alcohol. Pretty punchy stuff.

Taste & mouthfeel - Intensely roasty and bitter with a sweet, boozy backbone. The body is ridiculously thick and syrupt. I was expecting cloying sweetness, and I more or less got it, though there's a ton of acrid burnt grain to balance it. The flavor hints at fruit, but it's dominated by a bittersweet molasses and burnt toast character. The finish is on the sweet side, with a lingering note of dark chocolate in the aftertaste. The presence of alcohol is both felt and tasted; this is the only beer I can recall trying where I actually felt a slight burn as it was going down.

Notes - Decent, but overly sweet, syrupy and boozy.

02-13-2008 00:12:23 | More by largadeer
maundythirsty

Wisconsin

2.55/5  rDev -38.8%

Lights-out black beer, with more than an inch of surprisingly spry and delicious-looking head the color of chocolate milk. Bubbles hang loosely on the glass.

Maybe the best beer smell ever to wander up my nostrils. I spent so much time inhaling that I may have let this beer warm too much. This stout sit below a thick vapor that is sweet and boozy with anise, chocolate and coconut. Smells a little grapey, like a heavy red wine.

Taste is another story. Hello, alcohol! Hello, turbinado sugar! Goodbye, beer, down the drain. Very boozy and sweet beyond my tolerance. I'd say there's a burned malt taste, but it's so far underneath that sweetness that I can't really get a handle on it. Mouthfeel is thick, and quite chalky.

Just too big, too sweet, too far out there.

12-09-2006 19:13:42 | More by maundythirsty
PeprSprYoFace

2.58/5  rDev -38.1%

Ok. I don't even know if I can finish half a 12oz of this stuff. This is probably the most intense brew I've had to date.

Pours a viscous motor oil black with a brown thin head. No lacing.

Aroma is of burning and roast. That's it. Alcohol and a general roast aroma. I literally can smell the roast grain.

Taste is not as roast but even more intense alcohol. Too much. And that combined with the heavy mouthfeel and too much specialty grains makes you almost chew this brew. It's way too much. Black Tuesday has more alcohol and hides it way better. This is too much.

Overall this beer is too much for me. It's goingto be hard to choke down the last couple ounces. I don't really recomend

03-24-2010 08:03:41 | More by PeprSprYoFace
TastyTaste

2.6/5  rDev -37.6%

Appearance: Standard jet black body, surprisingly large khaki head, slow fading in nature.

Smell: Takes stouts into uncharted territory. A juggernaut of chocolate, coffee, alcohol, and hops. It hits the nose and numbs it. A large beer, good or bad, it's hard to tell at this point, the flavor could drag this beer in many directions, some good, some bad

Taste: Definitely went the wrong direction. Syrup sweetness ends in alcohol, the 'stout' flavors are only sensed in the background, along with some candy tartness. This needs to be buried in your backyard for about 15 years, and opened when it has had time to mellow.

Mouthfeel: Slick, well carbonated. This is the least of your concerns with this beer.

Drinkability: I will struggle to finish this beer, which makes the drinkability bad, obviously. If I would've purchased a bottle to age, this may change in later years, but not now.

03-28-2006 04:25:56 | More by TastyTaste
jjanega08

2.6/5  rDev -37.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Batch 5

A= Pours a nice deep black color with no light coming through and a suprising finger of head on it that is a nice brown color and holds nice retention and lacing! I would not expect such a large and lasting head on such a large beer.

S= Again a little suprizing with the nose. Not much booze coming through like I expected. Really quite mellow in the nose actually. A nice amount of roast to it and a lot of chocolate. No real "coffee" in the nose like a lot of stouts. It smells very sweet.

T= The taste isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be either. The sweetness from the nose is missing. I thought this would be bad as I didn't enjoy WWS very much. The roast from the nose comes through a lot more and there is quite a bit of bitterness to it. Tons of warming on the back of the tongue as well as falling down the back of the throat. It actually burns my tongue a little however making it harder and harder to destinguish the flavors after the first sip.

M= Much to light and prickly. I expect Imperial Stouts to be much much smoother and more velvety.

D= The beer is much much much better than I expected. It isn't however great. I wish it had a little less booze to it but I guess that's the point of the series. This beer is sort of a beast of its own. I couldn't drink more than one.

11-08-2010 04:46:59 | More by jjanega08
muffguy4beer

2.63/5  rDev -36.9%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Deep dark black with a half inch dark tan head. Strong lacing.

Smell: Smokey, roasted barley. Hints of coffee and bitter chocolate. Very pungent smell.

Taste: Alcohol is very noticeable. Not very balanced at all. Bitter chocolate, coffee. Finishes a little sweet.

Mouthfeel: Thick, heavy syrup.

Drinkability: Totally unbalanced therefore pretty undrinkable. I had to sip my way through half of a bottle and i don't think i would have enjoyed the other half. It seems that they were brewing big just for the sake of brewing big.

03-16-2007 12:52:53 | More by muffguy4beer
coachdonovan

Rhode Island

2.65/5  rDev -36.5%

pours black black black with a thin head that disappears quickly. little to no lacing. aroma is dark chocolate, roasted coffee and alcohol, although not as much as i was expecting considering the abv. let's see how it tastes - oh, THERE'S the booze. this is just way too much. the booze and burnt coffee flavors are overwhelming. this is a sipper, but not in a good scotch kind of way. the alcohol is very warming in the throat, so keep this one in mind if you're looking for a beer that will take an hour to drink, this is for you. to me it just seems like a whole lot of unnecessary booze.

11-15-2009 02:48:16 | More by coachdonovan
fritts211

Tennessee

2.7/5  rDev -35.3%

Just picked this up from the Binny's in Downtown Chicago. Pours a thick, motor oil black, not much of a head to speak of, half-finger with an autumn brown head, poured into a tulip glass.

A- Beautiful appearance, jet black, small brown head that I knocked off a point for. Otherwise, looks dark, beautiful, and dangerous, just as advertised.

S- Overwhelming alcohol, butter rum, molasses, faint raisin and chocolate

T- Not a fan. A lot of strong alcohol, soy, a bit of molasses, hints of dark fruit, and not much chocolate. Roast, but not enough for a good dry aftertaste. A bit like a barley wine, which I despise. Too much alcohol and soy for me.

M- Thick, but not as full as I would like. It is syrupy, but without the creamy, thick mouthfeel I like.

O- I'm sure that a lot of people would love this beer, but it isn't for me. Aging might do this well, but fresh it was a bit strong. It had a strong alcohol presence, and tasted a bit like teriyaki sauce. Sometimes those flavors arise naturally, but it was a bit overwhelming at this stage. I would not get this again. That being said, if you are set on a bottle, give it a couple of months at least in the cellar.

03-26-2012 03:58:51 | More by fritts211