Mephistopheles' Stout - Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  16.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-2006

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mephistopheles' Stout Alström Bros

4.62/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Pours dark and deep into my "I Believe" snifter. A fresh vintage with massive lace, but mild head. Plenty of burn in the nose (my other bottle will age yrs) but it dissolves quickly to rich dark malt, the yeast rises again before the dark fruits smooth it all away. Some rye tannin's and alcohol burn are that's keeping this from being one of the best beer's I've ever had! After a few years to smooth this will be a Giant.

4.73/5  rDev +12.9%

Another home-run for Avery. Holy crap did they knock this one out of the park. This I'd have to compare this with maybe 2 others to side-by-side to really say whether or not I think this is the best stout I've ever had, but it's definitely a front-runner. I split a bottle between 4 friends and that was two days ago, so sadly I can't be TOO specific about this beer. what I can say is that on top of the delicious typical stout flavours, they managed to give it just the right amount of earthy flavour that I like. Absolutely perfect. Anymore and I feel like it would have started to get that soy-sauce flavour that can really destroy a super-strong stout. But god-damn was this spot on. It didn't have too much of any one flavour to cover up any other either, to further that trend of perfection. It had coffee, malty, and chocolate notes all swimming together a deliciously warm sea. I'm referring to alcohol warmth, which was very present, but had less of a bite than I was expecting. I actually like bite in my beer, so I actually prefer Avery's The Beast to this one because it's a lighter bodied, sweet brew with about the same alcohol content, providing more of an alcohol bite. But stouts aren't about bite, so this was really more about stout perfection. The perfect mingling of flavours. The feel was great too. It wasn't too acidic or gritty. It just felt good in my mouth. Great stuff, Avery. Keep it coming.

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Trade to Sonofalime to get this bottle, thanks man! This was bottled in Dec 2010, batch six, and poured into my CCB snifter. This beer is barely below room temp, maybe high 50's. The bottle says 15.95 ABV on this batch.

Appearance: Solid black with a thickish pour. A nice mocha head sits atop this 2 1/4 year old beer. lacing does not stick much, but I can see alcohol legs.

Smell: Deep roast and strong dark fruits. Char and tar. One odd smell I cannot quite identify.

Taste: Deep roast dominates. Some cocoa and caramel notes along with the dark cherries and prunes. Leather and tobacco in the finish. Slight alcohol in the taste, but Avery did a good job of hiding it in something this big. The bittersweet finish goes on forever.

Mouthfeel: On the thick side, but not too viscous. To get to 15.95 %ABV from an SG of 1.135 you have to ferment down to 1.014. This is no mean feat and also reduces the mouthfeel a bit. The flavors are huge and velvety, while the carbonation is maybe 2 volumes, at the most.

Overall: I am glad that I have another bottle of this one to try after a few more years. I like this as a solid example of an extreme beer. I would love to have easy access to Avery.

Mephistopheles' Stout from Avery Brewing Company