Mephistopheles' Stout - Avery Brewing Company

Mephistopheles' StoutMephistopheles' Stout

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  16.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mephistopheles' Stout Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

Pours out a really black concotion with less than a finger of brown suds. Lacing lots around the glass.
Smell is strong caramel and malt and alcohol.
I get a chickory smoke and fruityness like a grape or dark cherry.
Taste is a sour mix of dark cherry and chocolate cordial with lots of sugary malt to finish it off. Then a sourness hits before the dry coffee taste brushes the palate.
Mouthfeel is sticky sweet and leaves the mouth wanting water.
Drinkability is not that good here because of the abv.

3.68/5  rDev -12%

The aroma is very chocolaty, with burnt malt, molasses, grapes, and coffee. The appearance is so dark brown that it's almost black.The head is is large and tan. The flavor is like the aroma with lots of alcohol. The palate is super thick. This beer is quite strong. It's truly a demon in strength which is what does it in for me. Nice flavors but the alcohol is too hot and needs to be dialed down a bit.

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

A- Pours pitch black with a very dark tan head. The head doesn't stick around very long, but leaves a thin ring around the rim of the glass.

S- Really smokey on the nose. Dark, roasty coffee notes come through with tons of malt and roasted barley. Hints of cherries and burned barley come through as well.

T- The burned flavor comes through a little more in the taste, but the coffee and malts still come through. Hints of dark fruit and cherries are noted. Very sweet with alcohol.

M- Medium body and smooth alcohol.

D- Given the alcohol content, this is very drinkable. When trying this fresh, it was slightly hot, but the cherries were more pronounced. After one year, the burned barley flavor came as a shock, but this is still a solid beer.

3.93/5  rDev -6%

evil looking bottle.

pitch black coloring with a huge tan head. head doesn't go away easy either. menacing.

scents of raisins, woodsy smells, alcohol burn.

smoky, coffee, nutty, woodsy, lasting smoke. the alcohol flavor is huge.

sticky and heavy feel.

massive stout, very good for what it is but it is too much for me to take it seriously.

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

12oz bottle labeled bottled on Jan 2006, Batch 1.

Poured a dark, dark, black color with an averaged sized than head. Aromas of strong chocolate, roasted malts, light coffee, anise, and molasses. Tastes of chocolate, licorice, coffee, anise, and some caramel. Stronger alcohol kick in the finish (but I wouldn't have guessed it was over 15%). On the sweeter side.

Notes from 2/17/06

3.95/5  rDev -5.5%

12 oz. bottle with red foil on top. Bottled Nov 2007 Batch 3. Poured into a oversized wine glass.

Pours an absolutely impenetrable pitch black with about a half finger of dark brown head that lingers only briefly. Nice aroma, lots of molasses and dark brown sugar. Some very dark coffee, dark fruits and a bit of alcohol. Taste is pretty good, sweet with lots of molasses and dark brown sugar and a dose of caramel. Really not a whole lot of roastyness here. There is a moderate bitterness that is completely overwhelmed by the other flavors. Alcohol is amazingly well hidden. Mouthfeel is pretty good, full, syrpuy body with low-moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good. This beer does an excellent job of hiding its impressive alcohol content.

1.98/5  rDev -52.6%

this one came from batch 3 in Nov 07 drank one year later

A: inky black with just less than half an inch of almost amber foam which lingers for a minute or two

S: allspice, coffee, prunes and alcohol

T: Hot on the palate even when chilled. Very unbalanced with overbearing, unrefined brandy presence, obfuscating any subtleties which may be present. There is a roasted, bitter, espresso and currant flavor that rolls off the palate at the end of each sip

M: Syrupy and slick

D: punishing
4 or 5 sips was all I could take

I had to drink a glass of white wine to cleanse myself after I poured out the remaining 2/3 bottle of this

very appropriate name but definitely a novelty brew to me

truly living up to the image it projects may be its greatest accomplishment

true evil

Bottled Nov 2006 Batch 2

Pours a solid black with a stingy mocha head that disappears quickly. Smells of bourbon, vanilla, roasted malt, and alcohol. I could smell every bit of the 16% I was about to ingest. Tastes like it smells, but adds some figs, dried fruits and more alcohol, definitely a sipper. Creamy mouthfeel. Thick body. Low carbonation. Not something I could drink everyday, but would make a great sipper on a cold snowy New England night.

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

Reviewed 1/28/2008 (bottled Nov 2006, batch 2):

Cool looking bottle (as most of Avery's are). Pours a thick, viscous, pitch black body. Brown head, average & creamy, lasting, some lacing. Molasses and dark fruit aroma right off the bat. Inhaling deeper, some smoke, soy sauce. Some musk. A lot of scents here. Some brown sugar. Creamy fizzy dusty mouthfeel, very warming. Ashtray-like. Not overly powerful, not alcoholy. Some chocolate, some alcohol as it warms up.

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours black with a cocoa brown head, 1 1/2" high that drops to 1/2" within 60 seconds. Some lace.
Smell is roasted malt, smoke, oak, whiskey, alcohol, chocolate, caramel, molasses, vanilla. Great complexity.
Whoa, Nelly! Lots of whiskey/alcohol up front. Afterwards, all the smell shows up and hops comes in late, mostly in the aftertaste. Hint of port, too.
Warming throughout. Full body, light effervescence, fairly smooth and a bit chewy.
A good sipping beer for sure.

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

Well I oppose the devil, so I shall put him in my belly and piss him out. Let's do it....

Blacker than black. Smallish brown head. Looks like congealed black jello.

Powerful scent. Raisin? Fig? Some dark fruits in there. Maybe dark chocolate.

Powerful taste as well. This sucker is bursting with flavor. Really, its got everything in here. Including alcohol. This isn't a beer, this is an experience.

Thick, viscous, and in your face. Callin you a girl. Aptly named. The booze is fairly mellow in the mouth but big and burning down the ole throat hole and into the belly. Liquid hell. I think I just got a fever.

Overall: truly unholy

3.2/5  rDev -23.4%

poured in a chillled mug.

A--> literally as thick and dark as motor oil!!!
S--> smell immediately like raisins, figs and alcohol
T--> strong figgy and molasses and hops all covered with some smoke! a very interesting experieence and extremely aggressive and thick!!! this might be the manliest beeer I've ever tried....seee I cant even type. lol

MF--> viscosity is pretty heavy and full of sweetness! alcohol has kick!!!!
D--> I would suggest sharing this with a buddy to experience it, but trust me....you're gonna need a chaser...like a nice german hef or something. :-)

you definitely must try though!

3.4/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

WOW alc of 16%! Despite being so high it was intigrated to an extent. The high alc made this stout very clean and light. Cherry and rasberry aroma with some dark coco flavors. Probably best to be shared with friends out of the 12oz bottle. Fun to try but not a top notch stout I've had recently.

3.7/5  rDev -11.5%

Appearance- poured a deep dark black color with a thick milk choc head. Settled quickly into a thin skim-like lacing.
Smell- getting some chocolate, coffee, dark fruits and some booze.
taste- getting all the flavors that i got in the nose but also got some rum flavor, molasses and some pepper.
Mouthfeel- a medium to full body beer. the alcoholic in this warms the mouth.
Drinkability- this one is a sipper. i have one more that i will let age four 6 or 8 months. If this one ages like i think it should i might get a couple more.

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

(The scoring for this beer for was the 10/8/2008 review. The 2011 review is just for fun)
So I've had one aging for almost a year, and i just picked up a second one at City beer just to see what it tastes like. I have before me a bottle of Batch # 3, bottled in November 2007. So it's almost been a year.

This beer is as intimidating as the label, even after a year. It pours pitch black with a thin, dark tan/brown head with a little lacing once the head is gone. This is one of those big beers you can smell from a few feet away once you open it.

There is definitely a lot of roast, and probably some coffee, although the label doesn't tell you that. The turbinado sugar doesn't balance out the strength of the beer, just adds a mild sweetness that kinda distracts you for a second. The kick is in the after math, once you start swallowing this, all the strength of this beer really shines. This has a lot of characteristics that you'd find in an Imperial stout. For a second I forgot it was 16%.... until i got a good buzz halfway through this 12oz bottle. Lastly, this beer has a great full body that I crave in a dark, heavy beer, especially stouts.

This beer is aged almost a year and I can say this baby needs some time to mellow (a long time, doesn't BevMo say like up to ten years?), unless you like your stouts strong, very strong. The devil can wait a while, so can this beer.

---

Batch#3, November 2007. Opened in April 2011....
Deep brow, near black hue bronze head. This almost fell out of the bottle rather than poured. Not much head, but still some visible signs of carbonation. No clear or dominant signs of booze aromas. Mostly malt: roasted, sweet and dark. Not sure if the greater combination of what I'm smelling can amount to a coffee flavor. Very smooth texture. There's definitely strong hints of alcohol warmth that blanket the pallet. Notes of sugary dark fruit that get stronger towards the finish. rasins dipped in whisky. Mostly sugar and booze with hints of roasted malts lightly sprinkled throughout. The Turbinado sugar stands out with age. After some breathing room, chocolate notes begin to appear, still masked by the sugar and boozy flavors. Age hasn't been kind to this beer. I preferred this better fresh. I anticipated a beer like this to loose some character, but I didn't expect it to be like this. This series of beer is good at hiding the alcohol %, but now it's shining. (If I had to give this vintage a review I'd give it a C+)

4.53/5  rDev +8.4%

Avery Brewing Co. Mephistopheles' Stout pours a dense jet black with a short stiff tan head. Aromas are strong of alcohol, malt, and burnt chocolate. The taste is very strong with tons of complex flavors. Alcohol soaked raisins, slightly bitter chocolate, and molases come to mind. Mouthfeel is dense, yet silky smooth. It's close to syrupy, but there is a mild carbonation that keeps it one step away. Overall drikability is great, but this is not for the fait of heart. This is one knock out beer, super strong worth taking a lot of time to experience the continual development of flavors. A bit pricey for a bottle, but well worth it for the experience.

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

Wow. I have had this one bottle around for a while! It is dated November 2006.

It is pretty mellow, considering how strong it claims to be. It kicks some pitudie, though. Serious bidness.

This was an evening of small but excessive indulgences, and this beauty fell right into that. I had a Dogfish Head Pal Santo that wasn't aged, then an Old Brooklyn (whatever, their superale barleywine), and now this. And my wife wants me to watch some TV. Sure, honey. I'll be right there. Add the couple shots or tequila...

Anyway, this is pretty skunky. I have no idea what I paid for it (a couple years ago?) but it may have been more than it was worth. Still, a quality effort, and something I would be proud to serve to brave guests (if I had any more or any guests).

4.63/5  rDev +10.8%

This is my first review, I do not consider myself an expert but i have had a lot of beers and this was one of my favorites. I drank it about a week ago

I drink it out of a snifter and i loved the way it looked, blacker than a womans heart. The one i had was bottled in NOV 07, and i drank it in August of 08. That time in the bottle made it go down smooth and there was no real alcohol finish like i thought there would be. It was very warming and smooth on the finish. The mouth feel of this beer was not what i thought it would be. I expected a stout of this strength to be like drinking maple syrup. I was quite surprised when i found that to not be the case. To me it was very flavorful, smooth, and didn't feel heavy. It reminded of guiness but a million times more flavor. I guess what i am trying to say is it is a really big beer that is accessible to a novice pallet like myself. PLUS they get you drunk. I definitely recommend this beer

I bought another bottle from the same batch which i will drink very shortly and give you a better idea of some of the flavors i had, i am drinking right now and can not accurately convey that information.

I just want to encourage people to seek this out because it is so good and there is such value in buying a 16% beer that is DELICOUS. I work and a liquor store and we sell it for 6.50. I get it for less and i dont know if i can help myself from the last two.

Side note: Spilled this on a white t-shirt, needless to say white t-shirt is ruined. It was worse than spilling a pot of coffee on a white cloth, it's darkness makes me want to renounce christianity.

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance: Poured into a Duvel sniffter; perfect pitch black with a very little head but an almost oily residue on the swirl.

Smell: Deep, alcoholic coffee and molasses and dark rummy malt... really stunning nose.

Mouthfeel: Huge full body, syrupy... this stuff stains the glass black... slick and muted carbonation.

Taste: Roasty and pruny and malty, chocolately and smoothyly burnt, rummy in a coffee and molassess way.

Drinkability: Sip, savor, linger, repeat... this is not one to go into lightly. Defintetly one to try at least once.

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

pours darker than midnight. nice dark tan one finger head. smells of dark roasted coffee, molasses, brown sugar, slight hint of the alcohol, with some dark fruits. alcohol is hidden very well. has the smell of a 8 or 9. not a 16.03.

taste is amazing. mephistopheles....more like mephist-awesome-lies!!!! WAKKA WAKKA, this beer is solid. i feel some of the alcohol on my lips and on the way down.

i am hit by a sudden burst of roasted malts, with some coffee as well with a solid finish of awesome. seriously. this beer is fantastic. for something that is as strong as this beer is it has a fantastic mouthfeel.

if this beer is full of this much awesome out of a bottle. i would gladly give my first born for it off tap.

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

*Bottled in 2006

Pours a rich dark roast coffee color with nearly 1-finger thick of brown, dense head. Nothing flashy...just thick!

Due to slightly stuffy sinuses, aroma on this one could prove a bit tought to get accurately, but I'll do my best. Dark brown sugar, molasses, & slight hops hit my nose, while some toasted almond also finds it's way. I'm also hit by alcohol phenols that I wish would completely clear my nose up!

Very sweet sip with the flavor or dark brown sugar and chocolate. I also get raisins in the flavor as well. Alcohol quickly comes and beats my palate raw, making tasting anything but phenols on the swallow just about impossible. Very rich! Yum!

Very chewy brew!!! I feel like I am eating raisins dipped in bourbon! Very hot brew...exactly what I was hoping for from a 16%-er!

I'm betting 1 is enough for anyone! However, I'd take a risk and try two if i had two, but I guess I'll just have to settle on one; the one I have. Cheers! Don't go operating heavy machinery after drinking this!!!

4.22/5  rDev +1%

Poured from bottle to a 6oz tasting glass. $8.50 for 12oz.
A deep black, thick stout. Golden brown-sugar colored head. The aroma of alcohol was masked with the scent of cocoa, bread and licorice.

Very warming. Bready, raisin, chocolate, toffee, doughy and almond flavors.

Aftertaste is good and strong; hot, like I expect it to be.
A slight fusel alcohol bitterness lingers on the tongue.
Drinkability is good, for about an hour.

I admire a strong beer such as this, as I understand how difficult it is to create. Mephistopheles' Stout is a well crafted beer.

2.93/5  rDev -29.9%

12 oz bottle-Batch 2 bottled in 2006

A-Black with no ruby edges. Does not have motor oil like thickness. Small tannish head that dissipated quickly
S-I poured this and could smell the booze while it sat on the counter. Boozy, roasted coffee/chocolate, caramel sweetness, some soy sauce/meaty scents.
T-Hot alcohol on first sip which gives a metallic/copper flavor, roasted malt with some soy sauce like tang, black licorice, underlying fruity/caramel reminiscent of barleywine, few hops but bitter ending. Alot of flavor but not sure how well it all blends together. Kind of salty metallic flavor lingers in mouth that is not so pleasant for me.
M-Creamy in mouth, full body,very coating
D-Big flavors but alcohol is so prevelant, it would be hard to drink more than one-even one. Appropriate that it's named after a demon.

3.88/5  rDev -7.2%

Enjoyed in a pint glass. Batch #3 Bottled in Nov. '07.
A: Moderate pour yields 3/4 finger dense, dark tan head. Great head retention. Pitch black liquid, very opaque. Appearance is spot on for the style.
S: Coffee, cocoa, alcohol, fig, coconut. The alcohol smell did not get significantly stronger upon warming surprisingly.
T: Alcohol is the major flavor. Whoa, too much alcohol, though it gets less boozy and better as it warms. I taste coffee, bitter cocoa; some lighter malt flavors slip in and then retreat from the heat. How is all the alcohol in the flavor hidden in the aroma?
M: Hot, way too hot. It is like a shot almost. Less boozy when warmer and much better because of it.
D: This beer should be enjoyed like a shot. One bottle is maximum serving for me, and only when it is warmer.

4.39/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a snifter glass. Me and a friend splitting a bottle. Smells extremely roasty and alcohol is detected. Tons of ripe dark fruit flavors and anise, cocoa, burnt flavors all over the palette, This is a true sipper beer and pushes the envelope on what beer actually is. Cognac of beers right here.

Mephistopheles' Stout from Avery Brewing Company