Mephistopheles' Stout - Avery Brewing Company

Mephistopheles' StoutMephistopheles' Stout

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  16.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mephistopheles' Stout Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

Wow. I have had this one bottle around for a while! It is dated November 2006.

It is pretty mellow, considering how strong it claims to be. It kicks some pitudie, though. Serious bidness.

This was an evening of small but excessive indulgences, and this beauty fell right into that. I had a Dogfish Head Pal Santo that wasn't aged, then an Old Brooklyn (whatever, their superale barleywine), and now this. And my wife wants me to watch some TV. Sure, honey. I'll be right there. Add the couple shots or tequila...

Anyway, this is pretty skunky. I have no idea what I paid for it (a couple years ago?) but it may have been more than it was worth. Still, a quality effort, and something I would be proud to serve to brave guests (if I had any more or any guests).

4.63/5  rDev +10.5%

This is my first review, I do not consider myself an expert but i have had a lot of beers and this was one of my favorites. I drank it about a week ago

I drink it out of a snifter and i loved the way it looked, blacker than a womans heart. The one i had was bottled in NOV 07, and i drank it in August of 08. That time in the bottle made it go down smooth and there was no real alcohol finish like i thought there would be. It was very warming and smooth on the finish. The mouth feel of this beer was not what i thought it would be. I expected a stout of this strength to be like drinking maple syrup. I was quite surprised when i found that to not be the case. To me it was very flavorful, smooth, and didn't feel heavy. It reminded of guiness but a million times more flavor. I guess what i am trying to say is it is a really big beer that is accessible to a novice pallet like myself. PLUS they get you drunk. I definitely recommend this beer

I bought another bottle from the same batch which i will drink very shortly and give you a better idea of some of the flavors i had, i am drinking right now and can not accurately convey that information.

I just want to encourage people to seek this out because it is so good and there is such value in buying a 16% beer that is DELICOUS. I work and a liquor store and we sell it for 6.50. I get it for less and i dont know if i can help myself from the last two.

Side note: Spilled this on a white t-shirt, needless to say white t-shirt is ruined. It was worse than spilling a pot of coffee on a white cloth, it's darkness makes me want to renounce christianity.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Appearance: Poured into a Duvel sniffter; perfect pitch black with a very little head but an almost oily residue on the swirl.

Smell: Deep, alcoholic coffee and molasses and dark rummy malt... really stunning nose.

Mouthfeel: Huge full body, syrupy... this stuff stains the glass black... slick and muted carbonation.

Taste: Roasty and pruny and malty, chocolately and smoothyly burnt, rummy in a coffee and molassess way.

Drinkability: Sip, savor, linger, repeat... this is not one to go into lightly. Defintetly one to try at least once.

4.65/5  rDev +11%

pours darker than midnight. nice dark tan one finger head. smells of dark roasted coffee, molasses, brown sugar, slight hint of the alcohol, with some dark fruits. alcohol is hidden very well. has the smell of a 8 or 9. not a 16.03.

taste is amazing. mephistopheles....more like mephist-awesome-lies!!!! WAKKA WAKKA, this beer is solid. i feel some of the alcohol on my lips and on the way down.

i am hit by a sudden burst of roasted malts, with some coffee as well with a solid finish of awesome. seriously. this beer is fantastic. for something that is as strong as this beer is it has a fantastic mouthfeel.

if this beer is full of this much awesome out of a bottle. i would gladly give my first born for it off tap.

4.28/5  rDev +2.1%

*Bottled in 2006

Pours a rich dark roast coffee color with nearly 1-finger thick of brown, dense head. Nothing flashy...just thick!

Due to slightly stuffy sinuses, aroma on this one could prove a bit tought to get accurately, but I'll do my best. Dark brown sugar, molasses, & slight hops hit my nose, while some toasted almond also finds it's way. I'm also hit by alcohol phenols that I wish would completely clear my nose up!

Very sweet sip with the flavor or dark brown sugar and chocolate. I also get raisins in the flavor as well. Alcohol quickly comes and beats my palate raw, making tasting anything but phenols on the swallow just about impossible. Very rich! Yum!

Very chewy brew!!! I feel like I am eating raisins dipped in bourbon! Very hot brew...exactly what I was hoping for from a 16%-er!

I'm betting 1 is enough for anyone! However, I'd take a risk and try two if i had two, but I guess I'll just have to settle on one; the one I have. Cheers! Don't go operating heavy machinery after drinking this!!!

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from bottle to a 6oz tasting glass. $8.50 for 12oz.
A deep black, thick stout. Golden brown-sugar colored head. The aroma of alcohol was masked with the scent of cocoa, bread and licorice.

Very warming. Bready, raisin, chocolate, toffee, doughy and almond flavors.

Aftertaste is good and strong; hot, like I expect it to be.
A slight fusel alcohol bitterness lingers on the tongue.
Drinkability is good, for about an hour.

I admire a strong beer such as this, as I understand how difficult it is to create. Mephistopheles' Stout is a well crafted beer.

2.93/5  rDev -30.1%

12 oz bottle-Batch 2 bottled in 2006

A-Black with no ruby edges. Does not have motor oil like thickness. Small tannish head that dissipated quickly
S-I poured this and could smell the booze while it sat on the counter. Boozy, roasted coffee/chocolate, caramel sweetness, some soy sauce/meaty scents.
T-Hot alcohol on first sip which gives a metallic/copper flavor, roasted malt with some soy sauce like tang, black licorice, underlying fruity/caramel reminiscent of barleywine, few hops but bitter ending. Alot of flavor but not sure how well it all blends together. Kind of salty metallic flavor lingers in mouth that is not so pleasant for me.
M-Creamy in mouth, full body,very coating
D-Big flavors but alcohol is so prevelant, it would be hard to drink more than one-even one. Appropriate that it's named after a demon.

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

Enjoyed in a pint glass. Batch #3 Bottled in Nov. '07.
A: Moderate pour yields 3/4 finger dense, dark tan head. Great head retention. Pitch black liquid, very opaque. Appearance is spot on for the style.
S: Coffee, cocoa, alcohol, fig, coconut. The alcohol smell did not get significantly stronger upon warming surprisingly.
T: Alcohol is the major flavor. Whoa, too much alcohol, though it gets less boozy and better as it warms. I taste coffee, bitter cocoa; some lighter malt flavors slip in and then retreat from the heat. How is all the alcohol in the flavor hidden in the aroma?
M: Hot, way too hot. It is like a shot almost. Less boozy when warmer and much better because of it.
D: This beer should be enjoyed like a shot. One bottle is maximum serving for me, and only when it is warmer.

4.39/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a snifter glass. Me and a friend splitting a bottle. Smells extremely roasty and alcohol is detected. Tons of ripe dark fruit flavors and anise, cocoa, burnt flavors all over the palette, This is a true sipper beer and pushes the envelope on what beer actually is. Cognac of beers right here.

3.6/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. Is nearly completely black in appearance. Smell is VERY alcoholic. It's not very well-masked. Some dried fruit, but mostly alcohol. Damn, I've never had a beer burn going down. Taste is limited to roasted malts with mild coffee undertones, and a shit ton of alcohol. This one burns way too much. 120 Minute didn't hurt this much. This beer would do well to age. Honestly, I'm a little disappointed with this brew.

3.63/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a very nice dark black with fantastic head and lacing. Nice scent, some nice burnt grains, although not as strong as expected. Same for the taste, it was a very nice stout, and the burnt grains were there, but there was very little else (I was expecting some coffee, vanilla, or something else for such a strong beer). It down go down very smoothly for such a high ABV beer, though, very nice and rich, silky almost.

4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

A classic sipper. Pours a dense black, absolutely no highlights or light getting through. I gave it a hard pour and was rewarded with a big dark tan head. Head retention good for this level of octane. Thick, temporary lacing. The lacing and head disappear without a trace after a while.

Smell is of dark fruit and candy sugar. Taste is very nice. There is just enough bitterness at the end to keep the predominant sweetness from being too overpowering and cloying. The alcohol taste is present, but not raw or burning like Mad Elf. The alcohol serves to slow the drinker down to appreciate the flavors and not fall on his face.

Mouthfeel is incredibly rich, There is enough balance where the sweet taste does not overpower the beer. Drinkability is about average. Flavors this strong, emphasis on sweetness and the high abv make this a 1 twelve ouncer and out.

4.58/5  rDev +9.3%

Pitch black with a tan head. I couldn't see any light through the beer. I picked up some smell of alcohol and what I swore was figs. Initial tastes had a fig like character and a little alcohol, and then over time transformed into a roasted character like coffee and a chocolate taste. The chocolate taste dominated. The beer was thick and rich on my tongue. I don't know about drinking a whole lot of this, it's 16% ABV. One bottle was enough for me for one sitting.

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from City Wide in South Bend. The last of the "big 3" from Avery for me. Pours black, black, black with a brown, cascading head formation. Big and delicious looking. Surprizingly fruity chocolate odor. Hints of coffee and prunes. Smells like a rich gataeu. Huge, huge roasted malt flavor, almost burnt. Never such a large presence of roasty, burnt dark chocolate. A light cherry cordial tang that works well with the big alcohol presence on the finish. Alcohol builds as it warms, but the chocolate grows too. At its best when almost room temp. decadent. Big and thick mouthfeel, but without being syrupy. A bit of a frothy, creamy texture too. Not overwhelmingly drinkable for me though. Too much beer to take on in one night. It'd be perfect to split with another person.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Batch 2, 2006. Pours inky black with a very tightly beaded dark beige head. Looks rich. Tremendous amounts of licorice and dark fruit aromas. There is also a bit of cocoa and this is quite strong as well. definite smell of alcohol here. Equally intense in the mouth, but not quite as hot. Very fruity with rich almost port-like fruit as well as dark chocolate and licorice. Mouthcoating and strong, this is a sipper.

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

Why did I wait so long to try this beer? I guess it's because I've had so-so experience with Avery beers in the past, and also this beer is typically $8-9 per 12oz bottle. I found it for $5.99 at Kahn's in Indianapolis, and bit the bullet. The beer is black and opaque, with a thick dark tan foam. The aroma is perfect in my opinion. Tons of roasted malt, dark fruits (maybe plums or raisins), chocolate, a splash of alcohol. The taste is beyond belief, this is way better than I expected. All the aromas come through richly, this is intensely flavorful. Thick as Dark Lord too, this easily competes with Dark Lord or Batch 7000 for the best RIS I've had. Definitely ahead of Stone RIS or Abyss. as good as those are. Absolutely recommended.

3.55/5  rDev -15.3%

Appearance: Dark as hell with a dark brown head.

Smell is beefy yeast with soy sauce-like quality to the malts.

Taste is salty sweet like chocolate chip cookies. Hoppy bitterness shines though the darkness to balance it out. The alchohol is heavy and is hidden as well as it could be.

Mouthfeel is very heavy and viscous.

Drinkability is pretty low but is fun for a haymaker.

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

A single bottle of this was bought from Colonial Wine and Spirits in Acton. Poured in to my Portsmouth tulip glass a completely black color, with a tan head that fades very quickly. Smell is of rich cocoa, alcohol, cherry, chocolate cake frosting, overall very nice. More of the same taste wise, with the alcohol and dark fruit coming through in the beginning, bit of a soy sauce taste in the middle, and an unexpected light roasty finish. Mouthfeel is slick and heavy. Hops do not show themselves too much, but can be detected. I drank this bottle over the course of about ninety minutes, and I have to say that it was extremely drinkable. This is simply a beer to sip and savor. I could see myself drinking two in a single night. This is a winner for Avery. A special occasion beer for me that I am sure would be as good, if not better with a few years of age under its belt. Cheers

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

This is a big beer for sure. This is somewhat as close to Dark Lord as another stout is going to come. That is the only other stout I've had that taste like this. Heavy molasses up front,thick oily mouth feel. This is a drinkable beer that goes down nice.A definite warmth with the high alcohol content but don't shy away this one is an ass kicker and worth seeking out and will not be disappointed. This is a beer to have on a cold winter night or around a Fall campfire and be sure to share with friends..I did!

12oz bottle into 8oz snifter. 2006 vintage.

Pitch black, opaque, with a one finger light brown head that slowly settles to a thick rim along the glass.

Deep roasty aromas with a good amount of hops in there as well. Some dark fruit mixed in.

Ultra bitter malts with the hops backing it up. Full bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. The finish is the roasty malt with the alcohol lingering for a while.

I'm sure this was a very hoppy RIS when it was fresh. The alcohol stuck around, and is still pretty strong lending a warming feel in the mouth. The malts give a good balance to the hops that lasted. Recommended.

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

Served from a bottle into a goblet.

A: pours inky black, opaque, no highlights, can't shine a light through it. Looks like motor oil as it pours. Lets you know it's a big stout. Very little head, although of a stark dark brown color, that dissipates quickly but no matter.

S: chocolate, cherries, chocolate-covered cherries, alcohol, roast, caramel, molasses

T: immediate impression is strength, has a chocolatey flavor that dominates but some cherry-like fruit flavors also evident. Bourbon-like. Alcohol is there throughout the flavor profile but never burns. The beer finishes in a sweet, cherry-like effervescent close, with a mixed-roast and cherry aftertaste that lingers for awhile.

M: definitely on the heavy side, not as viscous as oil but more viscous for the average beer and definitely what I expected. coats the mouth which accents the aftertaste. Although not an effervescent beer, the finish somehow sparkles.

D: At this abv this is not a highly drinkable beer. that does not mean it isn't enjoyable. It would be a good way to finish the day. I paired with a canoli; the beer complements the cream and cinnamon flavors well.

4.93/5  rDev +17.7%

First, and not the last, time I've tried Mephistopheles' Stout, grabbed at the Neil St. Piccadilly. A thin finger of dark tan froth with amazing duration rests atop a deep black body. Black and nothing but black black body. Rich nose! Berry, roasted coffee, chocolate, caramel, molasses--a lush melange. The taste is full and complex. There are hints of sweetness with the berry, molasses and sugar, but they're well complemented by the somewhat bitter, roasted coffee. Splendid mouthfeel, creamy and smooth with ample carbonation, yet a bit thin, not as viscous as I would have hoped. Not paper thin, either. Despite the rush of hot alcohol late in the glass, this is one that doesn't require baby sips with the very high ABV (16.03%), in my estimation. Patience yields delicious complexity from this monstrosity, but isn't mandatory.

One outstanding Imperial Stout, high on my list and well worth the rather expensive price. One of the very best from Avery, no light praise.

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours thick, black and sticky. Soft brown head atop a black colored body.

Aroma contains strong scents of semi-sweet dark chocolate and mild grassy notes in the trailing nose.

Taste is extremely sweet and has a surprisingly carbonated mouthfeel right from the start. Sweet chocolate flavors packed with a high ABV punch at the center until the finish. There is a mild hop counter-balance to all the sweetness right before the finish, but the sweet chocolate flavors are overwhelming (yet delicious). Aftertaste lets cocoa flavors linger on the palate, while the throat warms with the high alcohol %.

Overall, an extremely well crafted imperial stout.

4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

First off, this is the best beer I've had in my life.

Bottle date of November, 2007, batch 3.
Purchased this little beast at Heritage Liquore in St. Paul. Looks like I'll be going back for another bottle....

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle with red tinfoil over the neck and cap. Into a 12oz merlot glass.
Black syrupy inky liquid poured rigerously, forms a dark fluffy brown head, 2 fingers deep. Thick lace lines the glass, with excellent retention.

The smell is so intense and so diverse at the same time. Many aromas coming off this beer, its a huge aromatic brew. It changes as it warms.
First off I get black licorice, molasses, sweet malt, chocolate, mild coffee, peanut nuttienes.
Folowed by small grassy hop notes, some mild alcahol fumieness.

A swirl of the glass brings back the head. At first the bubbles are a redish black in color. Then settling to a creamy dark brown.

The taste is ohh so complex and wonderful. I have never had a beer like this, so much happening, to few of words to describe it.

I get a sweet molasses, nutty oak like character, that shifts shapes into a hazelnut. Then fades into a smokey tobacco. At the same time through all this there is a taste of amaretto/ Frangelico liquore. Some alcahol warming through the middle, that wisps away and changes shapes into a chocolatly flavor. Finish is dry and still creamy with a tinge of Frangelio sweetness.

Wow....Its so good.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy with moderate carbonation present. This is really hard to take more then a sip at a time. So much flavor, I must do this beer justice be sipping it oh-so-slowly.
You must try this beer.

4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This beer truly is a complex,crafy, shape-shifting devilish soul-of-Lucifer in a glass.
Pours out black as liquid motor oil smoke in a glass. The head is darker than most "stouts" dare to even go.
Smell is so complex. Coffee, roasted malts, dark raisin fig like, alcohol burn, then when it warms, chocolate-covered burbon-filled cherries!
Flavors are...roasted oaky burbon, espresso,chocolates, Chocolatol(chocolate alcohol) my own word made up while drinking this,(drinking enough 16% beer will do it).
Mouthfeel is thick, yet light with the burning finish, drnkability is sipping at best, but thats what this type of beer is made for, and each aip is delicious. The description of this style of beer is perfectly represented by this black glass of Devil blood. Perfection for what it was made for.

Mephistopheles' Stout from Avery Brewing Company