Mephistopheles' Stout - Avery Brewing Company

Mephistopheles' StoutMephistopheles' Stout

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  16.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mephistopheles' Stout Alström Bros
maundythirsty

Wisconsin

2.55/5  rDev -39%

Lights-out black beer, with more than an inch of surprisingly spry and delicious-looking head the color of chocolate milk. Bubbles hang loosely on the glass.

Maybe the best beer smell ever to wander up my nostrils. I spent so much time inhaling that I may have let this beer warm too much. This stout sit below a thick vapor that is sweet and boozy with anise, chocolate and coconut. Smells a little grapey, like a heavy red wine.

Taste is another story. Hello, alcohol! Hello, turbinado sugar! Goodbye, beer, down the drain. Very boozy and sweet beyond my tolerance. I'd say there's a burned malt taste, but it's so far underneath that sweetness that I can't really get a handle on it. Mouthfeel is thick, and quite chalky.

Just too big, too sweet, too far out there.

12-09-2006 19:13:42 | More by maundythirsty
ArrogantB

Colorado

2.15/5  rDev -48.6%

January 2006 batch poured into a tulip glass. Very, very black in color. I got a decent head which surprised me given the high alcohol; I thought higher ABV = less head. It smells sugary and roasted. The taste is cloyingly sweet and almost meaty. I just cannot get past the sweetness I did not like this stout at all, I would much prefer a Storm King, Old Rasputin, or a Stone IRS. I can’t believe I dropped seven bucks on a 12oz bottle of this stuff although I should be glad its not a bomber. I saw a poster at the liquor store advertising a new batch of this stuff with an ABV of 16%, yuck.

12-03-2006 03:00:49 | More by ArrogantB
bluejacket74

4.63/5  rDev +10.8%

The bottle is from Jan 2006, Batch 1. It pours a dark brown/black color with a nice creamy tan head and good lacing. The beer smells like roasted malt, dark fruit, chocolate and coffee. When it comes to flavor, this definitely has a lot! It tastes like licorice, coffee, dark chocolate, maple/molasses, dark fruit and caramel. There's also some alcohol taste to it as well, but it's not strong as I thought it would be for a beer with an ABV this high. It starts off sweet and has a bitter finish. The mouthfeel is heavy, syrupy, chewy and thick. The drinkability is pretty good too. It's definitely a sipping beer, but it was so good I drank this a little faster than I should have. This is one of the best beers I've had, too bad I have to go out of state to buy more.

11-23-2006 23:40:53 | More by bluejacket74
akorsak

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

A: The ale is a deep oily black color with an off-white head that has red highlights.

S: The stout has an aroma of wine, chocolatey malts and intense alcohol. The vinous aroma betrays a complex body.

T: The first sip is a warming alcohol, followed by a big malty taste. The malts are roasted and wine-like, further augmenting the alcohol. The flavor is almost too sweet, with a quad-like malt strength that quickly loses the vinous impact and becomes very sugary.

M: An overabundance of sweetness mixed with a decent malt body, I am conflicted because parts are good while others aren't.

D: Drinkability is limited by the strength and the sweetness. This is decent, but not in my top 5 ADS list.

11-16-2006 02:54:25 | More by akorsak
nriech

4.53/5  rDev +8.4%

06 bottling. Smells of dark roast grains and some chocolate, dry roast and woody. A malt sweet saves this beer. Not nearly as sweet as I was anticipating to be but very welcome.

Extremely dark, no light at all penetrating. Smell is full of sweet syrupy dark fruit odors with a sweet burnt malt smell as well. Had a nose of chocolate and expresso maltiness with whiffs of a grape vinous, dark ripe fruits and a rum-like alcohol.

Taste, Cherries, candy, alcohol, roasted malt. This is one complex brew. Plenty of alcohol layered with candy sweetness, alcohol. Subdued coffee and chocolate.

Moutfeel, Its thick body is silky without being cloying, paired nicely with low carbonation and this one remains drinkable. Very drinkable still. Im sure even more so if some one could manage to hide it for a 3-4 years.

11-06-2006 13:10:04 | More by nriech
Bighuge

3.6/5  rDev -13.9%

Balck, opaque. Creamy dark brown head. Lace is quite full for such a high octane brew. The aroma is thick. Roasted malts, currants, black cherry, anise, gooey caramel, burnt malts and booze. The taste brings some of this goodness over. It's quite boozy from the start, in the middle and at the end. And it's pretty sweet too. Boozy sweet doesn't usually do it for me, but this is drinkable and does have some redeemable qualities. Black licorice and spiked fruit punch come to mind. Some of the burnt caramel aspects. Roastiness. The body is light for the style. Light-medium I'd say overall. I would expect a lot more body and viscosity in a beer like this. And the alcoholic sting lingers after the swallow. This isn't one I'd need to revisit, even if it were only $3 instead of the $6 I paid for it. It's not a bad beer, just not one of my faves. I'd take Expedition, Dark Lord or World Wide Stout over it any day.

11-02-2006 20:24:23 | More by Bighuge
mrasskicktastic

2.1/5  rDev -49.8%

A - Black ichor with a one finger espresso brown head, which lasts only a minute or two. A thin ring of lace is all that is left behind and quickly that sinks to join the rest of the brew.

S - Chocolate, candied sugars, black licorice, molasses and dates. Pretty strong and nice. No alcohol detectable, which is a real shock. Edit, closer to room temp alcohol is all that I can smell.

T - At first it is extremely, extremely sweet. It actually tastes a lot like cola. There is a bit of chocolate and clack licorice with that too. Then the flavor turns to a faint coffee, burnt malt and pine hop bitterness.. This is one of the few beers I have had that I would actually call cloying. There have been some close calls, but this is definitely over-the-top cloying. I don't drink soda because it is too sweet, but compared to this, a soda is nothing. There is just too much sugar here (and not a whole lot of flavor through that). I am not sure if this is unfermentable sugar or if they didn't let it sit long enough. The only plus here is that I can't detect the alcohol. Granted it is masked by an opressive amount of sugars . . .

M - Thick (it isn't chewy though). Syrup globs to the roof of my mouth and sides of my throat. The alcohol is potent enough to create a bit of a drying affect. Too sweet to efresh as well. I almost need a chaser. Basically, not too great.

D - Poor. I honestly can't remember the last time I had trouble finishing a stout. If I want a syrupy sweet high alcohol brew, I will drink a rum and coke. This isn't how a stout should taste. I will say what I always do though when I drink a crazy beer like this. Keep it up! I like trying strange beers even if I don't particularly like them. Honestly, I am treating this like shots at this point, the cloying naute of the flavor is that intense. I am going to finish it, but I can't really enjoy this flavor much.

10-12-2006 18:42:45 | More by mrasskicktastic
mattcrill

4.9/5  rDev +17.2%

Part of my vacation celebration

Bottle inspection: Bottled 1/06 Batch 1. OG: 1.142 ABV: 15.1%
States that it was brewed with all the usual ingredients+turbinado sugar.

Aroma: Rich dark fruits, resiny hops, and molasses.

Appearance: Pure evil in a glass. Crude motor oil-like pour. A thin tan head. Occasional carbonation streams in the body. Simply menacing.

Flavor: More molasses, licorice, maple, a firm alcohol backbone, dark fruits, and occasional cabarnet grapes.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, medium to full bodied, oily, and a dry finish.

Overall impression: Yikes! This is Avery's best IMHO. With 9 months on it, it's a World Class stout. I was skeptical b/c Avery's bigger offerings tend to be a mess (see Czar for details). This one lives up to the hype. The alcohol is well hidden behind a wall of complex flavors. Seek this one out. Highly recommended and a new all-time fave.

10-01-2006 20:53:38 | More by mattcrill
xav33

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%

Avery Mephistopheles Stout
12 oz bottle
Bottled 01/06, sipped 09/06
Medium pour in a snifter

Poured black with dark brown edges with a tiny brown mostly diminishing head with a wee bit of lacing.

Smelt of rich dark chocolate, coffee, licorice, and vintage port.

Taste was upfront strongly sweet and slightly acidic, dark chocolate and dried dark fruit, followed by a harsh bitter coffee taste that dies into a harsh coffee with cream and sugar and a vinous quality that linger mercilessly. Mouthfeel was full, syrupy, lively carbonated, and moderately alcoholic and moderately astringent towards the end.

Overall, an explosion of taste that results in a sipping beer. Took me well over an hour to finish one, and I can still taste different nuances I hadnt tasted to this point.

09-27-2006 01:51:13 | More by xav33
denjen

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Dennis: There are some who would day that the name mephistopheles means "He who shuns the light", and certainly no better name exists for this brew. Aroma wise this beer won't wow you, but once you actually decide to take a sip watch out. Of course with 15.1% alcohol you can expect a powerful punch, but there isn't much that can prepare you for the wonderful power of this beer. Extremly, deeply sweet, it's hard to place the hops that supposedly add bitterness to this brew (107 IBU), but the expected tastes of rum, dark chocolate, and espresso beans are there. The price kills the value, but the quality comes only second to the beast...which is oh so appropriate.
Jen: You better tuck your skirt in if you want to try this one on for size. It pours like molasses that has been slightly heated, and has the color of a long pull of espresso. The smell is very deceptive and does not prepare you for what you about to endeavor upon. At first sip, all I could do was smack my lips...they were covered in a sugary taste, like eating maple-sugar candy. I then realized that the sweetness reminded me of chocolate covered espresso beans. That bit of sweetness followed by a roasty, nutty coffee flavor. There is also a mild resemblance to dark chocolate rum cordials. I think that I will be sipping on this for a while. This is a must have, especially if you have been following the demon series. Sip, don't swallow and enjoy the ride!

09-13-2006 15:21:46 | More by denjen
bennetj17

Arizona

Batch 1, bottled Jan 06. Pours deep black, although doesn't appear too viscous. Nice, fizzy reddish-tan crust sticks around for awhile. Nose of strong, sweet chocolate malt, with light roasty coffee scent in the background. Slightly alcoholic. The taste is intensely sweet with chocolate malt flavors dominating. The finish becomes more roasted with a dry mocha taste and hint of cherry. Initially it burns going down but gets better after the first few sips. At 15% ABV it's not too bad, and could easily pass for 10%. The mouthfeel is fairly thick, but maintains a good smoothness, not chewy. Decent amount of carbonation. The sweetness becomes a bit much after while, hurting the drinkablility some. Still I was suprised to find it was still a solid brew for being so strong. Definitely worth trying a bottle...

09-07-2006 07:10:54 | More by bennetj17
cbl2

2.93/5  rDev -29.9%

9/4/2006 $7.50 12 oz. 15.10% Bottled in January 2006, Batch 1. O.G. 1.142.

Appearance:

Pours a relatively thin pitch black with a thin film of tan/brown head on top that settles rapidly, leaving a modicum of lace.

Aroma:

Dank and musty, like old books coupled with sweet burnt caramel, cherry liquor and alcohol.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Relatively chewy mouthfeel is overlaid upon some smoke, burnt sugar cherry cordials and loads of intense hot alcohol, which makes this especially difficult to get down. My least favorite of the Avery angels, more of a chore than an experience.

09-04-2006 20:53:58 | More by cbl2
xymyl

Arizona

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Color: Black with a dense brown head and surprisingly small bubbles.

Nose: Coffee, chocolate, milk and oatmeal, overripe dark and dried fruits (rasins, prunes, and processed dried fruits), dark sugars (molasses, sorghum etc...), pine tar and big alcohol

Taste: Sweet, oatmeal, milk, you know it's all in there but it is mainly a battle of sweetness vs. alcohol. For the most part the sweetness comes off the winner.

Overall: Very full bodied, rich and chewey, a 12 ounce bottle is probably enough to share with a friend. It is a bit rich, sweet and warm ... like dipping a cheese cake in kerosene. If you are a huge milk stout fan this could be your holy grail, truly an imperial strength stout with a richness akin to a milk stout.

09-04-2006 00:39:08 | More by xymyl
ppoitras

2.83/5  rDev -32.3%

12oz bottle picked up as a single somewhere local, probably Julio's in Westboro, MA. Red foiled.

Poured into a Rapscallion glass, formed a 3/4" dark brown head over the opaque dark brown/black brew. Head isn't going anywhere fast, with lots of heavy lacing, nice for the abv. Aroma is lots of dark dark grains and overwhleming alcohol. Taste is sickly sweet dark maltiness upfront, a light fruitiness, and then a super warm close. Strong alcohol seems to be much more present in the nose than the mouth. Mouthfeel heavily coats, and seems smooth, but the drinkability is just dead in the water from the syrupiness and blantant alcohol presence. Enojyed this more than The Beast, for what that's worth.

08-19-2006 01:11:42 | More by ppoitras
GCBrewingCo

3.88/5  rDev -7.2%

The beer poured into the glass inky black with a very low dark brown head which was persistent, but less than 1/4" thick at it's best.

The aroma was malty and alcoholic with a strong chocolate impression coupled with dark fruits. Raisins and prunes led the dark fruit charge with a roasty expresso and biscuity/toasty character. The aroma was vinous and just a bit tart.

The flavor was malty with a lightly vinous nature. The flavor was strong with caramel, chocolate and expresso. Dark fruits, again, raisins and prunes, were strong and alcohol was strong and even a bit harsh in this beer. The flavor contained a strong estery flavor of a fermentation that perhaps was carried out just a bit too warm.

The finish was dry with lasting vinous, chocolate, coffee and alcohol long into the aftertaste and beyond. The body was full, but not viscous. The alcohol warming on this beer was off the charts. A decent beer, but with too much alcohol presence and too high a price.

12 ounce bottle. $8.49

08-18-2006 23:24:46 | More by GCBrewingCo
AndoBrew

Georgia

2.5/5  rDev -40.2%

*did not like would not buy*

pours a nice nice dark with garnet (is that how you spell that deep ruby stone??)) hints looks thick.. nice tan 1 finger head

smells like rasins and hints of choco.. and little SMALL whiffs of booze sweet booze, suprised .. kinda a mild smell, thought it would be scary honestly.. like the bottle I guess I wish it had more of a richness to the nose..just me

the nose was better right before the first beer went in my mouth, had some of that syrupy soy smell

then the beer went into my mouth... it was good and intresting, then it hit my throat and the 15% said hello with an alarming sting., the smell tricked me, I will re group and line up for a 2nd sip...eh ehm..

a smaller sip, sweet, dark fruits, SWEET, suprisingly so.. no dark earthy choco, no roasty toasty black malts, really sweet..some tasty darks way after the finish in the back of the throat, the booze flavor and throat feel is huge, over powering..

by the 3rd sip I am getting more imune to the booze shock, the mouth calms down and just accepts it.. still sweet, not as.. and a lil more dark stout type flavors start to finally peak out

by now the head is leaving thick lace on the walls of the glass that look like the crema from a very well made espresso shot, tan with a reddish hue to it, looks yummy!!

I am still not going to score taste yet, need to keep sippin, so far I can say I like the after taste more than the taste.. but in my book that does not count.

I think this may not be a good one for me, I like the mouthfeel and the way it looks in the glass, I am not takin by the nose on it

ok I have enough to close...

I DO like the taste of good booze, I like scotch neat, and other strong powerful flavors, 15% is no big deal compared to 40% so I am in no way takin and tricked by what I see as this beers gimick, I do not find it overly drinkable or enjoyable, I do not think it is complex or rich (things I crave from my beloved big stouts) I have found some dry choco. hints in the finish mixed with SOME tosty dark maltness but mostly it is SWEET and unbalanced..

I GOT IT!! It tastes like I am drinking a brown sugar dark rum, you know how raw brown sugar has some musty earthyness to it but is really just and odd sweet dark flavor?? WELL thats what this is, with a booze throat added to it and a small hint of stout beer flavors 1 min after each sip

this is a no go for me, I will gladly age my other bottles to see what happens to all this sweetnes. I can see that some would like it, cause some people like boozy brown suger, Just not me..

Thank you to Avery for making a new beer and moving the world of craft beer foward, we cant grow if we dont try.

(in an edit I am adding, just to be clear. This is not a bad beer. I did finish it, Its just not good for me, for all the reasons above. : )

08-07-2006 05:26:26 | More by AndoBrew
SacoDeToro

3.9/5  rDev -6.7%

Whoa doggie! Let me premise things here that I had this beer fresh off the tails of drinking a nicely aged Samael's Ale. It was big beer day today!

The beer poured a deep black with a slight translucence in the light. It had a tight tan head that settle out after a few minutes. The lace had a sanguine tint which I'd never quite seen before in a beer. Definitely demonic...

The aroma of the beer was that of big sweet malt, slight roastiness, and a ton of alcohol. Despite the advertised 107 IBU, there were no hops in the aroma to speak of.

The flavor of the beer was immensly malty and somewhat syrupy sweet. There was a roastiness that came through on the finish. I didn't taste much in the way of dried fruits, but there were notes of molases and maple. The hops helped balance things, but this beer was still intensely malty. When you've got a liquid that's so saturated with sugars, it's next to impossible to get significant amounts of hop oils to dissolve, but Avery's brute force brewing methods made sure enough made it.

The mouthfeel of the beer was heavy and thick. The carbonation was tight and at the right levels.

This beer was very much an experience in brewing extremism.

07-31-2006 02:37:55 | More by SacoDeToro
Mitchster

3.53/5  rDev -15.6%

$8.99/12 oz bottle at Merchant's in Dearborn. Ouch! Brewed with 2-row, black patent, roasted barley, Belgian special B, and aromatic malts. Hopped with Magnum and Styrian Goldings.

15.1% ABV. OG=1.145. 107 IBU's.

Pours out to a forboding black, forming a thick dark tan/cocoa colored head with good retention and lacing. Carbonation is mild. Upon cracking the bottle open and pouring, I'm immediately overcome with rich tawny port aromas. Intense prunes and dates, sharp deeply roasted grains, a ton of sticky malts, green resinous piney hops, vanilla, espresso, black walnut, milk chocolate, and dark rum. The mouthfeel is acidic from the roasted grains and oddly sour, likely from the copious amount of hops. Syrupy, cloyingly sweet, extremely rich and dense. The taste is a recap of the aroma. There is a ton of dark fruit, but the sourness looms over it all. Malt body is substantial and the burnt marshmallow sweetness is moderately strong and never taken over by the hops. Alcohol is perceived in mentation and as it goes down the pipe, but it doesn't stand out in taste. Cleanly fermented except for the odd sourness. Soy sauce in the aftertaste. Mildly bitter, if that makes sense. The finish is dry, extremely chalky and sharply burnt.

12oz of this is plenty, but it should really be in the $4.99/bottle price range. The very definition of a "sipper". Share this with 1 or 2 friends. Obviously, this is a beer of strength and quality, but it's primary flaws are the sourness and overwhelming burnt sugar syrupy sweetness that makes your teeth ache. Palette fatigue sets in very quickly, much quicker than the other "Big Beers" I've had from Avery. I'd have to pass on this one again. I would much rather spend my money on Salvation or The Reverend.

07-30-2006 01:02:45 | More by Mitchster
nlmartin

4.58/5  rDev +9.6%

Thanks dhchatfield for this beer.

This beer was served in a wide mouthed wine goblet. The beer was served cold so it could warm up while drinking. I thought this beer would be a sipper.

Appearance: The beer is a oily black coloration. No ruby opaqueness to light is present in the beer. The beer head is two fingers high and the color of burnt creamed coffee. Major sticky lacing remains on the glass.

Smell: The beer has complex blend of explosively boozey dark sweet fruityness (figs, dates and berries) dipped in a mixture of molasses espresso and chocolate with a dab of soy sauce. The beer has an ever so slight pine cone prescence.

Taste: The beer is full on sweet at the begining. Loads and loads of molasses and sugary sweetness rain down. Just when the beer is in danger of going cloyingly sweet with raisans. Darkly roasted nearing burnt coffee and bitter sweet chocolate raise their heads. The beer then breaks into a somewhat vinous quality. Spicey alcohol adds a pleasing counter note and also helps breaks up the sweetness.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is full bodied and then some. The beer is major league chewy. The taste seems to linger forever. The beer is loaded with alcohol feel; however, the alcohol burn and texture add to the beer experience in a positive way. The beer does a big time warming of the belly. This beer should be treated with respect. The beer is a definate self regulating sipper. Perhaps it would have been wiser to split this beer with a good friend. Sometimes the wisdom of the beer split seems to escape me. This is a dam fine double stout and I enjoyed it immensely. The beer will make a great winter warmer. I will rush out and buy a few more of these for cellaring.

07-28-2006 14:18:12 | More by nlmartin
feloniousmonk

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%

What an amazing beer. 12 ounce bottle, shared with BA earthman, courtesy of him.

Appearance, black as sin itself, with a fine roasted espresso cap.

Aroma spills out into the atmosphere, booze blended with coffee and motor oil.
Let's add a messy mix of plums, raisins, rusted molasses, treacle, anise underneath, snips of chocolate. Quite a ferrago indeed.

Taste is thick and slick and slightly bitter, huge, sinful, decadent, rich beyond all recognition...enormous mouthfeel...molasses up the wazoo...fantastic stuff, immense ...unbelievable...unique...nothing like it.

and then, boom! boom! comes the alcohol!

This is the imperial stout pushed beyond all limits. Wonder why it's not as beloved as Dark Lord? Not as thick? Not as rare? Too strong? No parties in the parking lot?

A succulent dish, despite the price, not to be missed.

07-28-2006 09:47:37 | More by feloniousmonk
Billolick

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

12 ouncer, nice looking graghics on label, "brewed in Jan '06, batch #1" Pours jet black, thick darkest shade of tan head and some semi-sticky thick lacing. Bold nose of dark coffee, chocolate milk shake and roasted grains. Thick and creamy brew, over the top flavors of more coffee, malted chocolate milk and loads of smooth roasted goodness, drying late in the long finish. Stout lovers/big beer lovers rejoice. World class dessert beer/night capper. Aging potential obvious, dangerously drinkable

06-29-2006 15:40:42 | More by Billolick
maniac

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%

Apppearance was a dark black color with a medium frothy brown head that dissipates fully.
Slightly astringent chocolate and cherry aroma.
Flavor was of dark and roasted malts with chocolate, caramel, some cherries and a bit of coffee in the end.
Very syrupy consistency.

06-27-2006 19:50:03 | More by maniac
Blakaeris

Iowa

3.63/5  rDev -13.2%

Pours opaque black with a creamy tan head.

Smell is dark burnt grain, chocolate, coffee, alcohol, and mild bitterness.

Taste is huge. Similiar to the nose, but on a much larger scale. In addition there is a sugary sweetness that doesn't neccessarily mesh well with the other flavors. Finish is dry and lingers with overly strong alcohol, and coffee smokiness.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied.

Although I am big fan of Avery in general, this beer is a little too much for me. It is certainly drinkable but doesn't live uip to the expectation of a massive stout.

06-26-2006 02:54:50 | More by Blakaeris
bashiba

Iowa

3.38/5  rDev -19.1%

Poured a dark black with brown highlights and a swirling bit of dark tan head accross the surface.

Taste is full of dark coffee flavor with burnt malts and sweet chocolate coming through along with a strong alcohol taste. Finishes with a nice bit of burnt chocolate bitterness.

Mouthfeel is syrupy and hot.

Overall not to bad considering the over the top quality of this beer. Not something you would drink on a regular basis, but decent on occasion.

06-26-2006 02:36:59 | More by bashiba
AlexJ

3.45/5  rDev -17.5%

Blacker than the deepest recesses of space with a minimal head of dense, mocha froth.

Aroma is huge malt, chocolate, charred coffee, plum, pit fruit, vanilla, light anise and a jet fuel-like bite of fusal alcohol.

Flavor is immeasurably huge, with massive malt and cocoa sweetness shadowed by dried pit fruit, dark chocolate, espresso, light vanilla and hints of oaky dryness. It finishes with a sticky blast of piney and light citrus hops. Cloying sweetness stands out and the hot rush of alcoholic heat is barely tolerable. Is this stuff flamable? Needs at least 5 years of proper cellering to mellow out.

Body is simply huge as you would expect. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, but the alcohol burns the sinuses on the way down. Very hard to drink. Maybe in the future???

06-17-2006 14:03:57 | More by AlexJ