Mephistopheles' Stout - Avery Brewing Company

Mephistopheles' StoutMephistopheles' Stout

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  16.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mephistopheles' Stout Alström Bros

1.85/5  rDev -55.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

12oz bottle, served in a mini snifter
Batch 4, Bottled in Nov 2008
Sampled 01JAN13

[A] On the pour, 1 solid finger of creamy and compact head is formed. The color is medium brown and the retention is excellent. The body is as black as black gets. Minimal lacing.

[S] Sweet, boozy alcohol dominates the nose. Magic marker, caramel, badly burnt sugars, perhaps some dark chocolate and very mild roast.

[T] Wow, that is A LOT of heat. I can't imagine that this mellowed out - even a little bit - over the last 4 years. It literally tastes like 30+% ABV. Exact same flavors as aromas. Harsh and hard to deal with.

[M] Smooth texture but flabby body. The high octane ABV and aging is probably at fault for the semi-thin body. And the intense sweetness begs for some bitterness to offset.

[O] Obnoxiously alcoholic on the nose, abrasively hot on the palate, and just downright irresponsibly sweet at every stage. Approaching 16%, Mephistopheles' is quite a brewing feat, but this beer is just too darn big to enjoy. I have no interest in finishing this.

2.25/5  rDev -46.3%

4.09/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2012 bottle, poured into goblet.

A: Poured dark with a tan two-finger head that fully dissipated after 10 or so minutes. Laced the glass as it dissipated.

S: Roasty, a little sense of the alcohol. I didn't get much from the aromatics from this one, so I was a little disappointed in that.

T: Sweet and syrupy up front, but not in an annoying way. Fig-like flavors come through in the sweetness. Transitioned to a nice full roasted flavor and finished with a nice sense of hops that faded slowly. I loved how this tasted and how the two phases worked together throughout the palette.

M: As mentioned in the taste, syrup-like with moderate small-bubble carbonation. The brew coats the mouth well, but is not a. Perfectly suited feel for the taste, in my opinion.

O: One of the better stouts I've had in the non-chocolate-focused variety. The way the taste played between fruity/sweet and roast/hops was very well done. It's a little pricey for the size, but after drinking it I feel it's worth the price of admission and a treat to have.

3.48/5  rDev -16.9%

poured into a goblet

A: Pours with a thin head that quickly dissapated

S: Im not getting much from this smell other than English ale yeast and some cocoa. It says belgian ale yeast but i smell English.

T: Here is where the belgian yeast kicks in. Sweet and fruity flavors dominate the taste.

M: This is what i want from an imperial stout. Nice full body hiding its huge ABV

O: Overall this beer was okay, not your typical imperial stout. The complexity of it all was pretty redeeming but not enough to put this on my list of must haves.

3.8/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. bottle poured into a Kuhnhenn snifter. Batch 7 from November 2011.

Appearance - Inky black with a small mocha head. No retention. Not even all that leggy as I swirl it. Thought it would look more viscous.

Smell - Booze is nostril-burning. Fudge all over the place. About as strong as the booze, which I appreciate. Black patent malt aroma with fudge.

Taste - Chocolatey as all getout. Fudge flavors persist here. Just buckets of chocolate until I get a bitter roasted malt finish and a fruity uptick in the back end. It's still boozy.

Mouthfeel - Well it's gigantic and it tastes every bit of it. I actually expected it to be boozier. Decent carbonation, but it's pushing the low end of medium.

Overall - Definitely not something I need to drink again. I expected it to be worse. Pleasantly surprised that I was able to consume as much of it as I did.

4.74/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

3/5/2013

First and foremost, I need to note that I found this beer tucked away in a land in my beer cellar that time forgot. The bottled on date says November of 2006. It's ABV is listed as 16.03%, which is stronger than most wines. As I write this, snow is falling outside and it's accumulation leads me to believe that I won't be teaching classes tomorrow. I couldn't be happier about it.

Appearance: There's carbonation, but it's subtle. As you watch the glass, you'll realize, as I did, that the beer continues to bubble in the glass for some minutes after it's poured. Pours thick like motor oil. Swirls of carbonation stick to the sides of the glass well with a swirl. 4.5/5

Smell: Hints of dark liquorice intermingle with wisps of raisin and plum. Nutty, earthy aromas on the end. From the smell, there can be no doubt about what you're about to be getting yourself into. 4.75/5

Taste: The taste of this aged beer can't be overstated. I've had my share of beers over the years, but none this old. I read some other reviews on here that made me think I had waited too long, but I put those fears to rest tonight. If you want a thick, powerful stout, look no further. I'm not a regular stout drinker, but I expect this to rank near the top of my all time favorites. 4.75/5

Mouthfeel: A very nice, foamy texture on the back end. When I do drink stouts of a lesser ABV, I like them but I am not drawn to them. The mouthfeel on this particular bottle is quite enticing. It's full and rich as any high-gravity stout should be, and yet I'm not disappointed at all as the beer gradually adjusts to room temperature over the course of the drink. 4.75/5

Overall: If you can find this beer, buy it now and forget about it for 5 or 6 years. As soon as (or if?) I can get some more, that's what I plan on doing. This beer is the ultimate snow day beer. If you're trapped at your house or you just have nowhere to go, crack one open. This Avery was an early foray into my cellar collection. It leaves me instilled with the hope that the rest of what I have stored up will be give me just as much satisfaction.

More notes: I enjoyed this bottle with some Hennings Chipotle Cheddar made with Roasted Jalapeno peppers. I was listening to a 7" vinyl of local ska/ soul / reggae acts the Pinstripes and the Green Room Rockers. If you've never heard of either of these bands, I highly recommend them both. They go well with beer tastings and relaxing when you've got nowhere to go!

4.16/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Served on tap in a 10 oz chalice glass

Appearance – Served a pitch black colored beer with a tiny brown head floating atop. The small, film like head persists for quite some time with it eventually fading leaving a good deal of lacing on the sides of the glass. Upon swirling the glass the thick and viscous nature of the brew can be seen, with it clinging to the sides of the glass taking quite some time to find its way back to the bottom where gravity wants it to be.

Smell – The aroma is big and bold with a strong sweet showing. Roasted and burnt malts with coffee and dark chocolate smells make for the rich dark base. The heavy sweetness is a mix of raisin, prune, caramel, and some vanilla. These dark and sweet smells combined with a strong boozy presence to give a very warming smell.

Taste – The taste begins big and sweet with lots of roasted malt and some sweet chocolate, dark fruits of raisin and prune, along with some flavors caramel. Vanilla is present up front as well melding well with the sweet cocoa roasted malt. A roasted coffee flavor as well as some char and more woody hop flavors come to the tongue more toward the middle of the taste. As these tastes come, some of the sweetness fade a bit. Toward the end of the taste some flavors of smoke and alcohol come to the tongue. Along with these, the taste bitters quite a bit more as some bitter hop and more bitter coffee come to the tongue. The combination of all the flavors end up leaving a very roasty and slightly more bitter coffee, cocoa and hop flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer was rather thick and chewy with a carbonation level that was rather average. The thickness coated the mouth bathing the tongue in all the intensely sweet, roasty, and even moderately bitter flavors of the brew. The average carbonation level made it rather more drinkable for a 15 + abv. beer with the combo of body and carbonation making for a nice feeling brew.

Overall – Another nice big series brew by Avery. Huge on the sweet and roasted flavors with a decent bitterness and a great feel. Quite tasty.

4.06/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Batch 8, Bottled Nov, 2012
ABV: somewhere in the 15% plus neighborhood.
Opened and let sit for a full hour before pouring.

Dark molasses with a nearly confluent mocha sheet. Smells of sweet malts, roasted coffee, graham cracker, cocoa, dates, some leather and a hint of banana. Flavor is robust with malts, a hint of salinity and plenty of cocoa, leather, alcohol (but not in a bad way), candy sugar, molasses and coffee. Full bodied, but thinner than I expected, low carb overall smooth body with a nice warm finish. A really drinkable beer for the ABV, and surprisingly tasty as I don't recall this being so yummy. Would go well with a hot brownie w/vanilla ice cream - just before developing profound Beetus.

Mephistopheles' Stout from Avery Brewing Company