Ellie's Brown Ale - Avery Brewing Company

Colorado, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-28-2002

IBU's: 17
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ellie's Brown Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,912 | Reviews: 686
3.11/5  rDev -20.3%

glass: Nonic

A: Dark brown with ruby red. Produced a half-finger head but a wide glass(nonic) is used. Egg shell colored, soapy head. Splashy lacing.

S: Nuts, brown sugar, molasses, fig, little date, musky hop overtone. Nice blend.

T: Mild front. Mid has a nice concoction of bitter roasted chocolate, date, brown sugar and slightly floral but more musky hops. Finishes clean and floral with a strike of roasted bitterness.

M: Medium body, a bit of a thick feel. Medium carbonation, right in-line with a typical american brown.

D: Well enough on drinkability. This beer offers nothing special though, which isn't bad but should be mentioned.

3.11/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

12 oz can into a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark reddish brown color. There isn't much head here, just a thin off-white film, and even that has mediocre retention. It does leave a bit of lacing on the glass, so it's not all meh looking.

S: There are some nice tones of both chocolate and espresso on the nose, but both seem too mild. Actually, the entire aroma seems too mild. Some notes of mineral water, caramel, and toffee also appear - again, very mild. What's there smells good, though.

T: No surprises here. it starts with a light caramel and chocolate sweetness, before finishing with touches of coffee and even roasted nuts. Some fruity twinges can also be found. It's not really interesting, just pleasant and easily drinkable. As it warms up, the roastiness is amplified, and becomes more enjoyable as a result.

M: The feel is quite conducive to said easily drinkable-ness with slightly sharp carbonation and a dry finish. Still, I wish it was smoother before the drying sensation kicked in.

O: Eh, just another brown ale. In fairness, this really isn't my style. Basically it does everything decently without doing anything impressively. I'd drink it again, but I wouldn't seek it out.

3.15/5  rDev -19.2%

This offering by Avery pours a nice, dark brown. A thin off-white head formed, but dissolved almost immediately. The aroma is a little on the lighter side, with sweet dark malts and dark chocolate present. I found the flavor to be quite nice: it tasted of caramel and chocolate, with some dark maltiness and nuts as well. My only complaint is there was a definite metallic edge to the flavor, and that stunted the smoothness that I prefer some from brown ales. The texture was good, but a little too much carbonation for my taste. All in all, it's quite good, but there are some I may prefer. I would choose it over some other similar browns.

3.16/5  rDev -19%

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a pint glass. No date. One finger of off-white head faded, leaving some lacy rings. The body was a nice cola brown, clear and bright.

Smell was nutty and chocolate. Subtle aroma.

Taste was reflective of the smell. Light bitterness-- walnut-like. Mildly chocolate. Sweet maltiness.

Mouthfeel was medium with appropriate carbonation, a bit zingy on the tongue. Not my favorite style but i'll bet it is good with pizza.

3.18/5  rDev -18.5%

My second experience with a sixer of an Avery product. After reading the other two reviews and the BA review, I've gotta wonder if I'm drinking the same beer. My first bottle was way too heavily hopped for the style. The beer looked good with a good brown color and small tan head. Fairly light mouthfeel that's just about right for an American brown ale, but the smell and taste -- hops galore! Almost as much as their IPA, my first experience with Avery (and one which rated far better). Don't get me wrong -- I like this beer, but I have a hard time calling it a good example of a brown ale. Maybe I just got a bad batch . . .

3.18/5  rDev -18.5%

12 fl. oz. bottle, courtesy of Cardinal Pub & Bar, Stavanger. Dark brown colour, moderate cream-coloured head. Aroma and flavour of lightly toasted malts, brown bread and nuts. Notes of burnt bread crumbs in the finish. Fairly dry beer. Drinkable, but I'm not overwhelmed.

3.18/5  rDev -18.5%

nice homage to the dog here. just reminding, if the beer falls short, it reflects not on my opinion of ellie, the dog.

the appearance is a disaster--uncontrolled head makes pouring a chore. fizzy looking body with carbonation bubbles all over the cloudy light brown beer. the head sinks down after what seems like forever and looks scummy.

aroma makes up in spades. a deep black cherry, heavy brandy scents, apple, dark caramel malt is really prevelant. burnt sugars. not just burnt, but really burnt.

the flavor is multi-tiered. it starts sweet. the sugars really kick in right away, and slowly fade into elements of dark chocolate, oily nuts, walnut, and a flavor resembling a high-tannin red wine. the bitterness from the nuttiness floats into the finish.

really wild and fizzy. uncontrolled body, too pop rocks-ish. very tough to sip comfortably.

the flavor is nice, but wow they have done a number to make this more hiccup-inducing than soda pop. the body's mouthfeel and accompanying appearance issues are too much for me to recommend this as being drinkable.

3.21/5  rDev -17.7%

Avery Ellie's Brown Ale: Avery is one of my favorite breweries, they make great stuff. I am not a big Brown Ale fan, but was at an eatery, and none of the other beer selections looked very good, so I gave the Ellie's a try.

A thick head on top of deep black body is what arrived at the table, effusing a mellow malty aroma. Very smooth going down. Good malt flavors, but not too sweet. The excessive sweetness is what turns me off of brown ales. Some hops add to the mix in a very complimentary way.

Leave it to Avery to brew such a fine dark ale. Not my everyday brew, but I probably will add a six pack in to my rotation of beer purchases from time to time.

3.23/5  rDev -17.2%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A-This beer has a dark warm brown body that is crystal clear. It has a nice gentle carbonation of tiny bubbles and a rocky very light tan head that last for a bit.

S- This beer has a soft aroma of slightly sweet brown malt and some crystal malt. A faint spicy note at the finish.

T- This beer has a smooth lightly roasted malt flavor with a note of tanginess and some faint nutty quality. The finish has a slightly dry carbonic bite that has a faint hop bitterness.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with no astringency or strong fizz quality.

D- The depth of grain was not really there. Very soft smooth brown ale.

3.23/5  rDev -17.2%

Poured in a pint glass at CBSix.

A- Pours an amber color with a thin head.

S- Malty nose on this beer. No notes of hops at all but you do get some sour/tangy notes.

T- Somewhat sweet for a brown. I get iced tea flavors when drinking this. I have had this in other beers and I am not sure it is a good thing.

M- Sweet and thick on the palate. Not overly so but more than a brown should be.

D- Certainly not my favorite beer. It was better with some food.

3.23/5  rDev -17.2%

Aroma: A slightly astringent smell, but fairly neutral. No big hops or malt noted, a slight yeast smell.
Appearance: Clear dark ruby brown with a quick dying head of off white.
Flavor: A crisp chocolate malt taste that tapered off to a bitter end. Overall fairly sweet.
Mouthfeel: Light body but left a thick mouth coat.
Overall Impression: The roasted malt flavor was a bit too heavy and overall just a slight astringency to the beer. An ok brown, but no nuttiness was noted, and just nothing that really sparked my curiosity.

3.23/5  rDev -17.2%

clear, pale brown color, good head, rocky, fizzy, with nice lacing.
Aroma, cola and nuts.
Taste: mildness supreme, very little actual action on the palate, almost no hoppiness, but a good malt quotient. Finish barely exists, body is very thin, ...and if I seem to stand on the verge of condemning the brew, at the same time, I can understand that it actually acheives it's aims. A light, unimpressive quaffer, a la Newcastle...nothing wrong with that, the stuff sells, folks like it, but it leaves me cold. I was harsh on the finish, though, for it does carry on for a time, with a caramelly nut flavor.
I've yet to have a brew from Avery I didn't like, this one I liked the least...eh, but that's me...and thanks aplenty to vitriola for sending it out!

Ellie's Brown Ale

Poured a dark red copper color, no sediments. What little head generated quickly faded leaving an inconsisent off white lace around the sides of the glass.
Smell is not overwhelming and not one single scent can be distinguised.
First tastes are common of brown ales, including roastiness... nuts, caramel, the usual fare.
Mouthfeel is slightly above average. Has a bitter taste and flees to a slight remnant on the buds.

Overall a decent beer. Have tried other brown ales that I prefered more like Downtown Brown by Lost Coast Bewery.

Stay thirsty my friends!

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

this beer was but a B- experience for me. Now it seemed to be a fair representation of its style, which is not a style that I am overly fond of, but I found the beer lacking in both mouthfeel and taste. the beer seemed thin with not much foam or glass lacing. taste of burned malt very strong and I felt also a bit overhwhelming and not subtle enough for my taste. Would be a fine session beer, but again this style is generally not to my preference. thought that color and clarity were both quite good.

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

Poured a dark amber-brown with half-inch tan head. Great lacing, light carbonation.

The smell is nutty and malty with a hints of butterscotch and chocolate.

The taste is chocolately and nutty. Good malt presence with a bit of hop bite at the end. Very nice.

The mouthfeel is thick and a little syrupy, but not bad.

This is a tasty ale. In my favorite style, this is one I'd have again.

3.28/5  rDev -15.9%

Poured a filtered light brown (slightly red when held up to light), with a very thin off-white head that didn't lace very well. The smell was very, very feint; roasted malt and brown sugar. The taste didn't yield much flavor at all, just very feint hints of roasted malt. The mouthfeel was very thin for a brown ale, but I guess it did help its sessionability.

3.28/5  rDev -15.9%

Reviewed 3/6/2009 (Tap @ Flying Saucer, Houston, TX):

Pours a pale reddish colored body, cloudy. small off-white head, diminishing. Fruity aroma, roasted. little aroma. Light malty chocolately taste. some smokey porter taste. Somewhat watery. some roasted taste. carbonated. somewhat skunky taste. very malty.

3.3/5  rDev -15.4%

Pours with small thin head with little to no retention. Has an elegant ruby red color. Smells of mocha, cocoa and sweet malts. A bit more bitter than I expected, but a nice smooth creamy lathering mouthfeel nonetheless. This is a very easy drinking brew that I enjoyed very much.

3.3/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Well, the lowest rating is a C, so I'm sure this will be at least decent...

A: 1/2 finger head with a caramel brown color and lots of bubbles at the top. The body is slightly translucent and this is a pretty nice looking beer. head retention sucked though.

S: Dark malts, smells of cocoa/coffee. Honestly reminds me of Bellaire Brown, which is a very, very good thing...

T: And then I drank it... Hmm, I just don't know quite what to think. Nice chocolate on the finish, but the initial palate taste is just kind of blah, it's almost boring. It's like watching a documentary, you may be somewhat entertained, but at the same time there are like 500 other things you'd rather be doing. So basically it's good, but more of a snoozefest than reading Shakespeare (unless you're into that kind of thing).

D/M: Really drinkable and a nice mellow mouthfeel. It actually keeps getting better as I drink it.

This is a solid beer, and is even worth having once at least; it has some unique flavors, and while you won't be blown away it certainly could be a good session beer (especially at the price).

3.3/5  rDev -15.4%

Pours a reddish, ruby brown with a massive head which likes to hang around. Aroma is not strong, but is woody, maybe oakish but sweeter. Immediate impression is of semi-sweet or bittersweet dark chocolate, starting with out with strong chocolate flavors and finishing with lighter hoppy bitterness. The hoppiness and flavor of the finish gives a bit of an impression of a red ale rather than a brown ale, or maybe like the two escaped to the alley behind the brewery on break a few months ago. Not too much malt or sweetness here on the way down but it does leave a dark porter-ish sweetness on the palate, surprising given the finish, but this sticky sweetness hangs around and hurts the drinkability.

This isn't one of my favorite styles but within the style this has very good flavor, maybe because it is does not conform to the standard. The bittersweet finish doesn't encourage me to grab another though, so I'll probably pass by this one next time.

3.3/5  rDev -15.4%

Appearance: poured into pint glass a darker brown color, with no real head and not really much lacing,

Smell: dark malty tosted smell,

Taste: roasted dark malts, slight hop bitterness, dry, little bit of a warm alcohol finish,

Mouthfeel: smooth, I think it could have been a bit thicker, but it was alright,

Drinkability: it's alright,

3.3/5  rDev -15.4%

Nice mild-mannered, medium body ale.

Presentation: 12 oz bottle. Dog design, which is referred to in the brief narrative accompanying it. Short and quite accurate description of the beer. Lacks date of bottling or freshness, neither shows IBUs or °Plato, or even Alc. Poured into a tulip glass.

A - Dark brown-reddish hue. Starts with a large head that dissipates to a quarter inch, which ultimately leaves a consistent thing layer with some lumps. Medium lacing.

S - Malty-nutty smell around some caramel. Subtle and pleasant.

T - Smooth and well balanced malt base. Medium bodied intensity with some sweetness and a touch of bitterness.

M - Lightly carbonated with and a bitter little bite at the end.

D - Nicely drinkable... Solid base beer.

Notes: Hmm, nice beer but not one that I will be drinking at home. But if it is an available choice on a medium selection bar I´ll sure could pick it up happily. It might be good to keep a couple of bottles at home though, to offer them to guests willing to try a good craft beer on the malty side. It´s a nice standard.

3.31/5  rDev -15.1%

This ale is very dark brown with a tall light tan head.
The aroma is a bit mild, but consists of caramel malt.
The flavor starts out with caramel malt and a roasty flavor, then the hops become noticeable and it finishes with a crystal malt flavor.
Mouth feel is medium to full bodied, but the carbonation level is a little low.

3.35/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

I love brown ales, and heard this was a must-try, so I grabbed one. Ruby brown pout that is clear with a bubbly head in the tulip glass. Aroma is hoppy and wheat-brown. Noble English hops in there, a bit of American hop character as well. Taste is smooth up front, but with some porter flavors as well--more of the dark brown style. Not really bitter, which is cool. Reminds me a bit of Ipswich dark ale. While this at one time may have been groundbreaking, at this point it's booring. I'm kind of sad I need to finish it.

Good flavors I guess, but nothing out of the ordinary to my palate. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and good for style. I can think of many beers similar in style I'd choose over this--am I missing something? Overall, not a special beer, especially not for $10 a 6-pack? For a dark brown, I can't imagine many people choosing this over DFH Indian Brown Ale--a much more intense, unique, enjoyable beer. I have to say this was overrated, and a disapointment.

3.35/5  rDev -14.1%

Poured into 10oz goblet. Poured a clean dark brown color with just a thin cap of light tan head that had no retention or lacing.

The aroma was mostly very sweet malts, almost too sweet, with just a trace of hop sharpness for a bit of contrast. The flavors were pretty much as expected, sweet malts, a hint of roast at the back and very light hops. Fairly typical.

The body was the typical smooth, even and full you look for. Drinkability was very good, the beer goes down easily, and having multiples would be easy. Overall, a nice take on the style. Nothing about this beer is really notable, but there are also no real flaws. If you are in the mood for a nice Brown Ale, you could certainly do a lot worse than having one of these. Plus, I love Labs, so any beer with one on the label will be showing up in my fridge on a regular basis,

Ellie's Brown Ale from Avery Brewing Company