Old Jubilation - Avery Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Old Ale |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-05-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Jubilation Alström Bros
3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

4.42/5  rDev +14.8%

I picked this up in Florida, but I am surprised that I didn't see it in New Jersey.

I poured this beer into a tulip. There was minimal foam. The color was very clean reddish.

THis beer had a sweet, fruity smell. It is almost like apple. It is a very proper smell for the style.

This has good old ale flavor, lots of toffee, nutty, and lots of malt. They brag on "no spices" and this beer really doesn't need any. This has great balance.

I would have aged a couple bottles of this for aging if I had seen this in New Jersey.

I am a big fan of Avery, and this beer is another reason why. They do a great job.

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

A - Pours dark brown, minimal to no lcaing, and a quickly settling white foam. No carbonation.

S - I smell molasses, dried fruit, and brown sugar. Very sweet scents on this one.

T - Taste has a mild tartness that goes to a sweet, malty finish with flavors of sweetbread, dried cranberries, molasses, and a slight warming burn in the finish.

M - For the style I found it to be very drinkable. A bit boozy fell as I drink the glass, but it isn't overbearing like many old ales, and actually went nice with a meal.

O - I'd try this again as a good way to break into this style. Very easy to appreciate.

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

Review 3/18/12 with a 2010 vintage bottle into tulip glass
A – 1 finger dusty white head was denser and settled to a thin layer with moderate lacing, brew is an opaque hazy dark brown with burgundy hue, better than average but not inviting 3.5
S – Dark breads, prunes, some cherry, a slight spice, a thick scent with alcohol tails 3.5
T – Big malty profile is quite dry (and mildly sweet) throughout the whole sip, dark breads, caramels, mild spice mirror the nose. Has a bitterness I’ll attribute to the hops I didn’t notice earlier, that I will call more medicinal & herbal than gratifying. Still a unique flavor profile that was enjoyable. Has barrel-aged qualities and I’m glad I let this one mellow out for 2 years. 4
M – For the smaller large body present here I was quite pleased with the drinkability. ABV takes a back seat, and nicely carbonated for a smooth drinking thinner large beer. 4
O – Old ales are not my usual bag but I think I may pick a few bottles up this year to cellar for a bit longer than this bottle. It had lots of complexity & character that when combined with the drinkability was a nice surprise. 3.5

2.5/5  rDev -35.1%