Old Jubilation - Avery Brewing Company

Old Ale |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-05-2002

Reviews: 775 | Hads: 1,568
4.01/5  rDev +3.6%

12 oz. brown bottle with a nice winter horse and carriage estate label.
no date,''06 production. opened and reviewed Feb. 28, 07.

Pours beautiful clear garnet-brown, thick off-white head with good retention leaving pillowy, chunky islands of foam.

Floral hops and sweet molasses malt greet the nose as i open this bottle that has been waiting patiently in my closet for weeks.

Molasses, brown sugar, apricots,carmel,bright and bitter hops accompanied by generous carbonation bite the tongue, velvety smooth malt coats the mouth, slight alcohol burn.

smooth, rich and complex, this is my favorite winter warmer selection this year. (648 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +11.9%

Had this one on tap at the Sink in Boulder. Good chocolate smell. Very good flavor, chocolate, raisin and coffee. Not too carbonated and lighter than I expected. Very drinkable, and recommended. I need to get around to trying more Avery Brews. If you are looking for a nice dark brew that is not too intense, this is the ticket. They had Deep Purple In Rock playing; one of my favorite records and one that goes well with this brew. (432 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -7.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a Triple Karmeliet tulip.

Appearance: ruby auburn with thick off-white head and minimal lacing.

Aroma: chocolate, caramel and spices.

Flavor: coffee, toffee, almonds and dry, tangy after taste.

Mouthfeel: medium body with medium carbonation.

Overall impression: bland, average winter warmer. wouldn't drink on a regular basis. (356 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my DFH Snifter.

A - Pours a deep carmel amber color with some slight red hues. Must not have much carbonation because it only poured a small 1/4 finger head that was slightly off white in color. Head was gone fast but left a nice thick cap to it.

S - Smells like a malt bomb and from reading the bottle, I think this is what they may have been going for. I smell lots of roasted malts, some smokey malts, some carmel and sweet malts and just some more malts. I also get some slight pine hops as well but those are pretty subdued.

T - Very smooth from the start, no big hop or bitter punch. Gets sweet after the first taste and the malts come creeping slowly and then dissapate slowly. A real slow moving under the radar brew. There is quite a bit of alcohol hitting the tongue and throat though which is suprising to me since this isn't exactly a high ABV beer.

M - Mouthfeel is pretty heavy from all the malts and complexities. Theres not much carbonation as I expected which is a bit of a downer. I think a bit more carbonation would really do this beer good.

T - A very drinkable beer. Unfortunately I only have this one left plus one in the cellar so I won't be having more any time soon as I'm curious what the malts will do over a six month period or so. (1,300 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into my Old Guardian glass.

Dark brown appearance with ruby red highlights when held to the light with a pillowy white head that lingers. Smells of malts, toffee and spices. Maybe a hint of cinnamon, fruity esters and some citrus hops. Tastes malty, pretty sweet and a definite hop presence that isn't overwhelming but was unexpected. A little alcoholic but I couldn't really tell it was 8%. Medium bodied with a nice carbonation and mouthfeel. One of those beers that is kind of a sipper because of all the flavor but you can't take it away from your mouth so the drinkability is above average for the style. Would definitely buy again. (667 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance: A very dark amber with a creamy eggshell head that leaves a pleasant tiering and splattering.

Smell: Thick, syrupy smell with some grassy hops in the background. Melted brown sugar and liquorice also present.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Chewy caramel and molasses with some spicy hops present. The mouthfeel is nice and thick and smooth.

Drinkability: A contenting drink, but doesn't beckon to be followed with another. One is fulfilling enough for me. (460 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +10.1%

Now this is one I could drink all darn day! Beautiful. Pours with a nice head. Head doesn't hold that long which invites a lot of swirling of the glass. The nose is exquisite. Spicy, sweet, a real nice blend of aromas.

On to the good stuff, the taste! Wonderful, bold, and quite complex. Very balanced between hop, malt and yeasts. This is one smooth brew. Did I say great color? Well it's richly dark and mysterious. I'll be buying more of this stuff. (456 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +22.2%

I like Avery offerings.
A: Dark..Red to purple highlights.
S: Earthy? Definitely something kind of funky. But in a good way.
T&M: It took me a couple sixers to really appreciate this one. Malty sweet, but enough of everything to go around.
D: A fantastic sipper. Even if it gets to room teperature. (299 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -1%

12 oz bottle with no date. Pours a gorgeous clear, dark mahogany with ruby overtones. Generous two-finger bubbly head that slowly fades, leaving sticky lace. Nose is sweet, sweet, with fruity tones (grape?) as well as malt and molasses. The nose definitely lets you know there will be hops in the tasting that follows. Taste is sweet, dark fruits and malt. Hops prominent, moreso than I usually expect in a winter warmer, but not overpowering. Alcohol is evident throughout. Velvety mouthfeel, moderate carbonation. Certainly not a session beer, but for the style I find it drinkable. (584 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured almost black but not quite. not much head. smelled like a lot of hops and a little spicy, some plum-like fruittyness. i havent had many of the winter warmer style, but this brew was a lot hoppier than i expected. to the ipa level even. this is not a bad thing, as i love hops, but while the beer was still cold the spices were barely detectable at all. as it warmed a bit of cinnamon emerged, and thats about all. tasted like a victory hop devil but with a more snappy spice taste. regardless, though, this one was real tasty. effectively hidden alcohol, low carbonation, and a medium body makes it dangerously drinkable. wish i picked up a 6 pack instead of a single 12 oz. recommended. (694 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -2.1%

Is a dark beer, pours a tan head fairly clear smells complex at first but my nose rested on wet dog. The taste is bitter but good with a nutty beginning and a citrus hop ending. I am impressed with how the 8% alcohol does not overpower this beer.

I like Old Jubilation but not enough to buy a case or anything. (312 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured a dark carmel color. Two inch head. Fruity nose of plums? Excellent mouthfeel, very drinkable for an 8.0 beer, although the alcohol is resonent but very nice.

Picked these up for Thanksgiving and I am continuing to give thanks. The label is very nice although a bit fancy. Seems a little to good for an average joe like me.

This is my first Avey brew and I am not dissapointed. (392 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -1.3%

12oz bottle into pint glass.

A- Beautiful mahogany color, but very little head, lacing, or carbonation.

S- Sweet smell of cherries.

T- Rich and syrupy sweet with some roasted malt flavors. I taste hazelnuts and again cherries. Some hops flavors on the back end.

M- Low carbonation. Thick, syrupy mouthfeel.

D- 8% and very sweet. This is probably a one and done beer for me on a cold night.

All in all a decent warmer. This beer improves with warmth. Don't drink right out of the fridge. (495 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -4.7%

Served in a bottle, drank from the bottle

Explodes with flavors of roasted malt and and hint of caramel. Alcohol content of 8.3% but tastes like a 6.0%, high drinkability. Emanates a sense of comfort until the end.

One Con: mouthfeel is a little lacking, almost coats the mouth with a type of waxy feel, like eating a handful of sprinkles with ice cream.

Recommendation: Get one (383 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -7.8%

Good color and appearance, nice dark brown with decent retention. Smells malty with a burning alcohol finish. Tastes more balenced than I thought it would, good strong bitterness to match the malts and carmel notes. Good mouthfeel and clean, dry finish. Good solid winter warmer and a nice change up to the usual Jubales I've been drinking. Avery is turning out good, consistant brews.

Cheers! (396 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +0.5%

My experience with Old Ales is limited but from what I have experienced I found this beer to be very well done. In my opinion the nose was not off the chart but the real experience is when I began to sip it. The beer poured very dark and looked appealing from the get go. It had a good amount of carbonation and mouthfeel to make it enjoyable and lively. The malts kept this beer at a enjoyable sweetness level without pushing it into a desert beer category. I did not think the alcohol was "hot" and was masked by the beer. The beer changed in a favorable way for me as the beer warmed. The bitterness was very mild. Normally I am disappointed by some seasonable/holiday brews but what started as a single bottle turned into a trip for a six pack for me. Very well done! (780 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -5.9%

An American interpretation of strong or old ale. Well hopped from beginning to end. Pours clear and a strong aroma of crystal malt and toffee. Aroma includes some oxidation, my bottle was underfilled. The cardboard aroma does not carry over to the taste which is slap full of west coast style hops.

Chewy and slighty nutty, yeast? The bottle says keep refrigerated, but I could not see any ring in the bottom, so I am not sure if this is live or not.

A well made beer that is sadly illegal in North Carolina. I'll have to make it myself. (543 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +1%

12 oz bottle purchased on 3/20 at Hiller's. *This beer could be anywhere from 6 to 9 months old. It was stored completely in the cooler.

Lately I have been intrigued by beers that flirt boldy with the boundaries of dark garnet to brown/black. This is a territory that is less frequently explored these days. I have been homebrewing beers that are not brown, but incorporate some of the roast characteristics of porters and stouts. A difficult thing to do.

Avery has done a fine job with this beer.

It appears, as do all Avery beers, that this beer has been subjected to the over filtration that plagues breweries who are attempting to extend the shelf-life in search of greater regional/national distribution and market share. This beer is perfectly clear. As a result the head sucks. The yeast character is dulled into a soda-like presentation. I think a BA article is in the works to address this phenomenon. *

The beer pours a deep amber color. Not brown, but incorporating nice roast into the flavor/aroma profile. *The age/filtration issue has created some oxidation that is present in the nose. This, with the special roast creates a soy sauce experience mixed with cardboard. However, the other aromatic/flavor qualities of this brew are stellar and dominate the flaws. Grainy Graham crackers, oaken casks, a rich 70% dark cocoa spine. A wonderful, rich malty experience

This beer has a nice neutral hop profile that cleanses the palate and integrates all of the rich, warm malts.

This beer drinks well. I can't wait to try a fresh version at the pub. I think "my minds eye" might be inflating the score on his one. (1,641 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured amber-garnet with a rich, creamy head. Smelled of whole-grain bread and sunflower seeds with some nice fruity esters and hop bitterness. Flavors of whole grain bread mingled with a hop bite and metallic undertones; some nice, sharp, fruity hop layers occupy the taste buds for the majority of the taste. The alcohol is late in coming and doesn’t taste as strong as it really is, noticeable only after a few sips as it begins to warm the insides. The low point of this beer was the distracting metallic aftertaste. But eventually the 8% ABV takes over and warms the insides. All is forgotten. (599 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -2.3%

My local beer store gave me a free six pack of Old Jubilation for the trouble they caused me by screwing up my keg special order (different beer) for two weeks straight. I mentioned that I liked Avery's The Reverend, thus I got this for free to try.

I'm not a huge fan of hoppy beers, but this is pretty good.

Little to no head to speak of, but that is okay with me. Little to no smell, but that is okay with me too. For a thick dark beer it drinks okay as well.

I would not buy another six pack, but then again, this is not my thing. If you like hoppy beers, I would definitely give this one a try. (608 characters)

Wow! This stuff really does have a warming effect...It's 48 degrees outside and in Florida That's a wet cold. Pours a mean clear brown with a respectable head. Sticky lacing. Smells of rich deep malt with some oily hop bitter. Taste is great, Rich toasty matly with a nice hop bitter. The hops are not overly dominating in the after taste. Caramel, Toffee, Toasted bread. Maybe oak chips. Very interesting flavor. Mouth feel is perfect, for sure full bodied to the max! Drinkability, hmm... I could probably hammer down like 3 of these then switch to a macro that way I don't get too drunk way too fast!

All in all an excellent winter warmer

I will surely buy this again. (673 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -5.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a 22 oz working glass.

Pours a clear red-tinted amber capped with a fluffy tanish head that settles slowly and leaves decent lace. The nose has a bit plum like sweetness and plenty of spicy, piney hops. Alcohol comes through in the nose. On the palate malt sweetness is short-lived before giving way to the strong hops flavors and medium-high bitterness. Alcohol has a definite, biting presence and sticks in the mouth for the short, bitter finish. Medium and light carbonation mouthfeel with large alcohol presence. Drinks fairly easily for the ABV, but makes a nice sipper. The high bittering and alcohol keep it from being greatly sessionable, but a few of these would certainly warm a cold winter night. (734 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a beautiful deep red with an inch head that had good staying power and left nice lacing all the way down the pint. Aroma was failry sweet. Initial taste is almost, but not quite cloyingly sweet, with hints of raisins and prunes on the finish. The alcohol shows itself just a bit in heat, but just enough to make this a real "warming" winter ale. One of the best winter beers I've had, must find more! (407 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

Vertical tasting at Avery 15 year anniversary.
2007
A - Dary Ruby Color with long lasting head.
S - Nice hop aroma followed by some malty chocolate aromas.
T - Chocolate malt, with a caramel backing and a medium high level of bitterness.
M - Good full bodied feel with a nice alcohol warming.

2006
A - Remains about the same as the 2007.
S - Hops begin to fade and the malt aromas begin to dominate.
T - Malt flavors are complex and mix well with the lower level of bitterness.
M - Full bodied and alcohol warmth is smoother.

2004
A - Color remains the same, a slight more haze due to age.
S - huge malty caramel smell in the nose, very little hops.
T - Chocolate malt flavors have given way to more roast flavors.
M - Full bodied and a smooth alcohol warmth.

This beer seems to age pretty well, I thought the 2006 was the best. The 2006 had a great balance between hop bitterness and flavor of malt. The 2004 had a better malt aroma, but was lacking in the flavor.

Good beer. (994 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

Growler purchased at halftime.

Pours a dark mahogany into my triple karmeliet glass small 1 finger head little to no lacing.

Smells malty sweet with cherrys.

Taste of malt with some cherrys and chocolate. Nice hoppy bitter ending with some alcohol warming.

Full bodied and heavey like a winter warmer shoudl be.

Nice brew but I would not seek it out. (355 characters)

Old Jubilation from Avery Brewing Company